Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/175/130

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Coming off Adderall = horrible hunger pangs!

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with ADD about seven years ago, and I have (legally) been taking Adderall XR since then.

Well, needless to say, I have been taking it for so long that I have difficulty functioning without it. When I started taking it my weight dipped a bit but stabilized a few months later. However, I now find that if I miss a dose, I am RAVENOUS. I'm not usually much of a binge-er, but when I miss my medicine, I can eat huge portions frequently and rarely feel full. You'd think the struggle would be just in my head, but my stomach will literally start growling two hours after eating one of my usual-sized meals! In addition, missing Adderall makes me so fatigued and sluggish... hardly any motivation to work out.

The terrible hunger pangs will go away after about a week without the medicine, but even then it is so easy to mindlessly overeat because my stomach will just never really feel full.

All that said, I have been thinking about cutting the drug from my life. I hate feeling so dependent on something! I'm also tired of having a mouth that constantly feels dry and grinding my teeth. I might wait until I finish college first, though I'm going to try and see how I can manage without it this summer.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this? Any ideas for coping with the insane hunger and trying to stick to a weight loss plan?

Last edited by kelseyvc; 04-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.
kelseyvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I have no experience in this, but I would advise you not to interrupt your medication without asking your doctor. Maybe there is an alternative medication you can take which does not produce those side effects. Check with a doctor... and good luck!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote