Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #1  

Exclamation New Binger - Alone and Terrified

Hi -

I'm a 19 year old at college and currently suffering the bloating, headache, guilt and depression after a binge (nutella brownie, 2 bags of microwave popcorn, popsicle, 6 fruit/nut bars, almonds, two bowls of oatmeal)

I'm desperate for help - any sort of help at this point. This is the fourth time I've binged this week, over 2000+ calories. The trouble is, I never used to be a binge eater. In fact, I was underweight for about a year, not anorexic, but a very careful, and very healthy eater.

Now I feel like I'm on a runaway train and I'm doomed to weight gain and more misery to come. I can't turn to my family after the stress I put them through last year and self control doesn't seem to be working.

Does anyone know how to stop this before it gets out of hand? I've already gained 10 lbs and while I'm not overweight, I want to break down. I've never felt so alone.
JBird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

hello jbird7.
i know exactly how u feel but fortunately 4 you,youre young and can get help.

i on the other hand was a binger 4 about 15 yrs and didnt know why i was till i found out that DEPRESSION was/is the ROOT 2 my overeating.
i actually went on anti depressants last year and totally stopped.
but it would be important 4 you 2 first talk 2 someone like a psychiatrist or even someone who specializes in overeating. i never thought it would help talking about my problems but it really helps.

im sure college life can b very stressful and anxiety ridden as well so that could also b the culprit of your over eating.
antidepressants arent 4 everyone but i will say natural herbs are the most healthy. u can try ST JOHNS WORT(4 depression),VALERIAN ROOT(4 stress and anxiety)
i hope everything goes well 4 you,take care and if u have any questions 4 me about meds or psychiatry u can message me
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

From a person that's been a binge eater for quite a long time.. The only advice I can give you is not to keep your 'trigger' foods in the house.. There has to be some kind of trigger food.

Find someone you can talk to about your issues.. If not your family then someone online that you can chat with (Generically ) about it.

I Find that when I get the urge to binge then I try to think about something else. I come here and post. Or I lock myself in my room and listen to music. Force yourself to think of something else.

Last edited by imnotperfect24; 04-15-2012 at 11:24 PM.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Agree with talking to a professional, ideally someone who has experience with binge eating disorder. Some of the therapists I have been to didn't know too much about it. I have been a binge eater since as far back as I can remember, like elementary school, 3rd grade or so. I'm 36 now.

Good luck to you, it is possible to control and you are young!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

I think reading healthygirl.org and other similar sites online can either help or trigger your binges. Often binging can be a symptom of being too wary and careful with eating - restriction leading to binge etc. I am fairly confident that my binging problem (I would eat 5000 calories in a sitting every other week or so) stemmed from a long period of calorie counting and being overly concerned with weight, but everyone's problems have different causes.

Either way, if you can afford it, I agree that a therapist specializing in ED can be a valuable resource. Binge eating is a fairly common but seldomly discussed problem among young women.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

JBird7, I agree with our friends above: you are young and if you get professional help now you will save yourself a lot of suffering. Do check with somebody who specializes in eating disorders.
When I was your age bingeing was not considered a disorder, and it was not even talked about. I felt "flawed" for years till I learned it was quite common and learned enough about myself to tackle it on my own. But you do not need to spend almost 40 years wondering what you can do about it... Do check with a professional. We will be here to hear about your progress!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/210/145

Height: 5'7"

I also recommend talking to someone. Some colleges have student counciling services that come at little to no cost to students. It does not mean you're crazy. It means that you need some assistance with different adjustments. I also agree with other posters that it's wise NOT to keep the trigger/junk foods in the house. Yes, you could still go out and buy the food, but you won't be as tempted if it's far away.
italicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #8  

Thank you so much. Tonight I actually through all of the food out of my dorm room (after stuffing my face of course ...) most of it was healthy - nuts, bars, oatmeal - but once I get started, I just can't stop.

Hopefully now I can break the habit and move on!
JBird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird7 View Post
Thank you so much. Tonight I actually through all of the food out of my dorm room (after stuffing my face of course ...) most of it was healthy - nuts, bars, oatmeal - but once I get started, I just can't stop.

Hopefully now I can break the habit and move on!
Just keep at it.. There are some days when you will win and some you wont.. Dont take those days that you don't win to hard just keep moving every day is a different day.

Congrats on throwing all the 'extra' food out! It's a start in the right direction.

Last edited by imnotperfect24; 04-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #10  

Height: 5ft3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglesita64 View Post
JBird7, I agree with our friends above: you are young and if you get professional help now you will save yourself a lot of suffering. Do check with somebody who specializes in eating disorders.
When I was your age bingeing was not considered a disorder, and it was not even talked about. I felt "flawed" for years till I learned it was quite common and learned enough about myself to tackle it on my own. But you do not need to spend almost 40 years wondering what you can do about it... Do check with a professional. We will be here to hear about your progress!
I agree totally - go and get professional help - I also lived with it for years and to a large extent it's to blame for a lot of what happened in my life -keep in touch we're all in this together
Jalsa is offline   Reply With Quote