Exercise! - Are some people just not made to run?

want2bskine
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
So I have been walking since mid Feb. I can do two miles in about 40 mins. I suffer from fibromyalgia, so I can't push it too much. Anyway, last week I started walking 5 mins, jog 1 min, walk 5, jog 1, etc. I am finding it hard to jog. I can only do 1 minute of jogging! That stinks! Does it take a long time to build up to jogging? I am 39 and never really jogged in my life, just really active as a child. I really would love to jog at least a mile. HA..I get to outta breath and my legs start to hurt. Anyone else out there that can't jog?? I can't be the only one. :?:

free1
04-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Don't know the answer but I started the C25K running program 3 weeks ago. The first week we ran/jogged for 1 minute, walked 1 minute. It was soooo hard and challenging. Then, the second week I walked for 90 sec., ran for 90 sec. I was surprised that after doing the 1 minute, the 90 sec run felt better and my body became acclimated. This morning, I started week 3 which included a 3 minute run and surprisingly....it felt pretty good. I thought I was going to die with the 1 minute.

I don't know if medical conditions can complicate running. However, for me, I found that with time my 1 minute became easier, and then my 90-second, etc. Hope this helps....Cheering you on!

Nadya
04-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Well if you're just starting of course it's gonna be hard. I can go for an entire mile - which takes me about 13 minutes give or take depending on where I am when I do it (treadmill vs. outdoors) - but I couldn't when I first started and it's still difficult for me now. When I first began, I think I'd be able to go maybe two minutes before I was like fuuuu. :lol:

But of course, something like fibromyalgia could make it worse so that's a hard question to answer.

Exhale15
04-14-2012, 03:55 PM
I think that as long as your doctor has no objections to you running, it is up to you. If it's something you enjoy and want to stick with, give it a couple of months. If you don't really like it, try something else. I think it's important to let your body build up to longer distances/time and don't compare yourself to anyone else because we are all different. :)

JohnP
04-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't know about fibro but for anyone who has not been running it can be very taxing.

Over time your endurance will improve. The balance is pushing yourself hard enough so your body will continue adapatations but not pushing yourself so hard that you injure yourself.

As an FYI - brisk walking is for practical purposes as good as running for your health. It burns less calories but not by a huge number. It is much less taxing on your body though.

The important thing is if you're planning on doing a good amount of running/walking is to take care of your feet. One area people skimp is getting the right shoes. You really need to make sure you have a good fit. There are many good shoes but your foot is not going to fit as well into every shoe so I suggest going to a running store where an expert can help you find the right brand/shoe for your foot.

threenorns
04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
definitely DEFINITELY the shoes!

spend the money!

the shoe you need for jogging is not the same shoe you need for walking. if you have walking shoes, they're wrong for jogging and you'll suffer (although you can walk fine in jogging shoes).

also, make sure the sole's not worn down - if they're worn, you need a new pair. your shoes are like your mattress - a foundation for the rest of your life. mess that up and the problems go all the way up the structure.

don't think that bec it's slower, it's easier than running - jogging's a very harsh treatment of the body. it counts as high-impact exercise for bone-building purposes. you'd almost be better off to give straight-out running a try isntead.

Blueberries
04-14-2012, 04:22 PM
I can't really run, but honestly I hate it anyway. I love weights, so that's what I do. If you really want to be a runner, build up slowly and give it a shot. You'll never know unless you try! But if you're just doing it because that's what you're "supposed" to do to be healthy, find something else that you love an do that instead.

want2bskine
04-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the feedback!
I think for right now I will stick with brisk walking...mixed in with a little jogging. If brisk walking burns almost as must calories as jogging without the impact on the joints, that sounds good to me. I see people jogging though and say, wow, I wish I could do that. lol.

takingcontrol
04-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I genuinely thought I was one of those not made to run. I was really disappointed by it too, because it's one of those things I always wanted to do. I've tried and failed a number of times.

Previously I tried to 'learn' to run without doing any other exercise to complement it and when my general fitness was terrible.

This time I've been working on cardio and strength at the gym for two months previous to taking on the challenge. I've also read up a lot on interval running, the couch to 5KM (C25K) programme and breathing and running techniques.

Annnnndddddddd I'm happy to report, I'm starting to have some success. I can now run for 8 minutes straight, and am confident I'll continue to build on that, using my own modified version of C25K.

I know everyone is different, and I'm not saying because I can, everyone can. But, I wanted to give you my (on the way to being a) success story :)

If you decide to keep on with it, good luck! And take a look on the exercise board, there are lots of C25K posts on tehre with valuable info :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
I've never enjoyed jogging/running, so I always did interval walking (which was suggested by a fitness trainer) -- that is walking regular, then brisk walking, back and forth, just like you were doing with the running.

Try it, I think you'll like it much better ... :D

Oh 2 be me
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I can't run. I've tried. Was in a fitness class and we had to run around the block. Well. It was all I could do to get my feet off the ground. I'm 5'8", was about 195 lbs or so then so not that overweight. I talked with my chiro and he said "I just cannot see you as a running person" because of my back and hip issues. I dont' think running is for every 'body'. Talk with your dr.

thistoo
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
You do have to build up to running, especially if you aren't in great cardiovascular condition. It's easier for some body types than others, of course, but you can become a runner eventually, if you want to. Just keep adding jogging intervals into your walks and you'll find that it starts to get easier over time. Good luck!

I hate running, personally, but I do it because it's the most effective cardio for me when it comes to weight loss. I also lift weights regularly, which helps with muscle tone for when the fat comes off.

cestlavie22
04-14-2012, 05:03 PM
there are a lot of misconceptions about running. It is worth it to look at begin to run books for some information but then do everything way more slowly because of your fibro (and i mean way more slowly). In general i think most people can run but most of us are never going to be speedy or be signing up for marathons.

you do need comfortable shoes but the resarch shows that it is the pair of running shoes that you find most comfy (and not based on any foot type) that is the most helpful.

start slowly. It might be that running for a whole minutes is too much in the beginning. I started out with 30 seconds, then walking till i was recovered from the effort and then running again. I would do that 4-5 times. Then i started adding 15 seconds and then adding another interval. I also didn't do it every day, i did it 3-4 times a week. I have to say it took me a really, really long time to move from run-walk to running, but my personal mantra is no injuries.

Over time I've been able to increase my mileage so that i now run half marathons. What i love about running is that it is a quick bang for the buck for cardio fitness. It helps fight osteoperosis and you can do it anywhere anytime. I run in rain and snow and although i can't say i love it, i can say that it has really helped to improve my health

good luck!

Chain
04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I can't really run, but honestly I hate it anyway. I love weights, so that's what I do.

Same for me. I hate running almost as much as I hate yoga (god I hate yoga), but I've loved working with weights.

Only Me
04-14-2012, 05:15 PM
In you position, I think I'd concentrate on building up walking speed and endurance before worrying about running.

ValRock
04-14-2012, 06:47 PM
It's hard. I started running for the first time in my life, last summer. I'm 29 and I have lupus so I understand your pain/exhaustion issue. Running actually helps me, even when I push it. It took me a long time to work up to longer spurts. I can go 1.5 miles without stopping now... but it took me almost a year to get here!

I started out running the straight parts of the track and walking the curves. Then I ran for half a lap, and walked for 1/4 lap... then a whole lap, and so on. It's not easy, any way you cut it!! But, it does get easier!

I honestly hate running. It's boring. But, I haven't found anything else (in conjunction with my HEAVY lifting) that gets me the results I want... so I trudge on.

berryblondeboys
04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
In you position, I think I'd concentrate on building up walking speed and endurance before worrying about running.

Yep... I only started running or thinking about running when my walking pace got to be about 14:45 minute miles (and that is with a couple steep hills). After a certain point it feels better to break into a run than it does to walk so fast. And I got to a point where I couldn't walk fast enough to get my heart rate into an aerobic zone.

But, if you can walk to get your heart rate up there - then stick with walking. I'm a firm believer that we should do as little as we need to do to get the job done. 22 minute miles walking is really slow, so stick with walking and just keep pushing yourself that way - it will prevent injuries too.

kimminy
04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I can run but it hurts my knees (family history of knee problems). Anyways, I figure if my weight gets down running won't hurt my knees as much.

I think the brisk walking sounds good as well as the light jogging. Once you do it for awhile your stamina will build up. A couple summers ago I tried running and I went from a couple minutes of running to about 15 minutes of running within a month but then my knees got too bad. So you'll get there!

Also, everyone's talking about proper shoes. I've looked up stuff about running and knees and I found some research that says running barefoot or with those special bare foot type shoes can help since then you can actually tell if you're running in a harmful way. Also running barefoot develops the muscles and support in your foot and ankles. The downside is most people run on concrete, so if you try the barefoot running thing do it on a softer surface like grass or those soft tracks.

Ah, it's probably easier to just buy good running shoes and find places to run without worrying about the barefoot thing...

Seashell84
04-14-2012, 08:20 PM
I also have fibro (great improvement going gluten free), it really really helps the symptoms if you keep active, but you really have to start slowly with exercise. I would keep walking briskly, increasing your pace slowly. If later you find walking not challenging enough and you still want to run, start very slowly. I started with 30 seconds of running followed by 4.5 minutes of walking, I do this interval 4 times. Every couple of weeks, I add 15-30 more seconds of running, but only when the previous workout feels relatively easy. I'm currently at 3 minutes running followed by 2 minutes walking, but it took me months to get here. Also, it takes time to find your pace. I find if I jog at 4.5, it is too slow and hard to maintain, 4.8 is too fast, but 4.7 is perfect. I plan on getting to where I can maintain 4.7 for 30 minutes and then work on increasing my pace. Make sure you warm up and cool down properly. And do not run every day starting out, your body will need to recover.

And also, I agree with others, get good shoes. It is so worth it, even for walking. If your feet are not happy it affects your whole body.

cbressler1976
04-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I am one of those who couldn't run....I can barely run now....but each day I have been doing a fast walk thing....and I have noticed I can run a little more each week! :) I think it just takes time and little baby steps! (unless of course you have medical issues)

want2bskine
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I walk at 3.0-3.2 mph, I feel at this speed I am barely keeping up with the belt..lol. I could do 3.5, I don't know if having short legs is the culprit..haha probably not.
Seashell 84, my fibro symptoms are getting better. When I first started walking I did have a few flares, but now I feel better. I don't have alot of "active" pain, just keep the muscle soreness.
I will keep on walking, working my way up in speed. My legs really get to hurting, it may be the fibro.
Thanks so much for everyone's advice and help!
I can't wait to post pictures of my weight loss progress!

tea2
04-15-2012, 12:11 AM
It took me a LONG time to get to 5k of running with couch to 5k...something like 6 months. I think I started with 30 seconds running and 4.5 mins walking too. Heck, start with 15 seconds and keep moving up slowly when you're comfortable with that. If it's just that you're huffing and puffing, do what you can do until you're comfortable and move up gradually. It's your run. Nobody can say where you should start except you. The important thing will be moving up gradually and being happy for yourself getting out there.

Basta
04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I believe there are bodies who are "made to run" and bodies not made to do other stuff (not depending on weight but body composition). For example it is not fun to run if you have big breasts or calfs.

nads84
04-15-2012, 05:24 PM
a person's ability to run has to do with their aerobic capacity/endurance/ability to work at 70 - 85% heart rate for long periods of time and their strength/flexibility (help with power and injury prevention).

personally, it took me just under a year and a half to train my aerobic capacity and strength to run a half marathon last october and to get my 10k down to less than 55 minutes. i should mention that i was a HEAVY smoker for 12 years and morbidly obese, binge drinker when i started my 'cardio' journey....i don't know what got in me- i never had previous aspirations to run. it just kinda happened and now i love it. nothing says bad*ss like busting out a 10 or 15k before the crack of dawn...listen to good tunes and just one foot a head of the other.

....you have to work for it. ...hard. there are many ladies (and gents) that are balls to the wall with their training and that's what it takes to run that marathon or personal best 5k.

that said anyone can run, they just have to build their cardiac endurance and overall body strength to be able to maintain good form and avoid/prevent injuries.

to get good at anything or to progress we need to train, practice, challenge, be patient, and learn ;)