Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #1  
Feed the muscle

S/C/G: 225/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Default Weight loss from exercise alone

Is it possible? Thoughts, articles, ideas, experiences? I'd really like to hear your feelings on this, guys.
meltaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #2  
threenorns

if you do not change your diet and your weight was stable before you started exercising, then absolutely.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Nearly impossible to outexercise a bad diet. For every 3500 calories you eat in surplus you gain a lb of fat. You'd have to literally run all day long to burn that off.

It is absolutely crucial to success to get your diet under control in some way.

Last edited by ValRock; 04-11-2012 at 12:18 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Nearly impossible to outexercise a bad diet. For every 3500 calories you eat in surplus you gain a lb of fat. You'd have to literally run all day long to burn that off.

It is absolutely crucial to success to get your diet under control in some way.
I believe this too. If I could eat what I wanted and just exercise I would.. I love to exercise and I love food.. it would be a win win.

Majority of weight loss is from diet.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/160/150

Height: 6ft

Ultimatly it comes down to how much food you eat,so imo to answer your question,no.
Brummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

There's a reason why I started exercising regularly at 16 but didn't lose the majority of my weight until I was 23. The moment I started keeping track of how much I was eating, the weight started coming off.

You can lose some weight from exercising IF you don't increase the amount you eat. If you're already eating at maintenance and add exercise into the mix then you're simply creating a caloric deficit. THAT'S what you'd lose the weight from, not necessarily the exercise alone.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 330/249/140

Height: 5'0

i was just going to all this question. sucks because i don't know what to eat and how.
DaughterOfAKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #8  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I'm a living example that you can out-eat ANY amount of exercise. I ran marathons and gained weight. You have to watch your intake, no matter how much you work out.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #9  
Feed the muscle

Thanks guys. I figured most people would assume that I had an unhealthy diet and answer accordingly, but I don't. What fascinates me is that I gained most of my weight when my activity level went down, and I lost weight when I was fairly active ( living in nyc, taking the train, walking everywhere and those darn subway steps!!) but back then when I lost weight I had a regular diet of mc donalds, processed food and other umentionables, and now I'm eating healthy, exercising like a mad woman, yet all I can do is maintain. :-/
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #10  

eating healthy is not always the same thing as eating lower calorie. calories count, and calories in healthy foods count just as much as calories in McDs.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Right now you could "say" I'm losing weight by exercise only. I eat to close to maintenance level if I lived a sedentary life (and some days I am almost completely sedentary and other days I'm up and all over the place). I try to eat 1450 a day. Most days it's around 1500-1550 which, for my current weight and height, is about maintenance calories. It's the exercise that helps me lose weight. An hour of exercise added to my day creates a calorie deficit and I never eat back my calories - thinking, "Well, I worked out today, I can eat this bowl of ice cream". No!

Yesterday I ate 1500 - maintenance level, but I exercised and supposedly burned off 400 plus calories. Today I'll probably eat around 1450 and will burn off about 700 (double class tonight) and so on. Weeks that I don't exercise? I don't lose or I lose VERY little.

So, yes, you 'can' lose weight by exercise only if you are currently maintaining your weight, don't eat back exercise calories and don't have binge days or high calorie days frequently (like less than once a month).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltaway View Post
Thanks guys. I figured most people would assume that I had an unhealthy diet and answer accordingly, but I don't. What fascinates me is that I gained most of my weight when my activity level went down, and I lost weight when I was fairly active ( living in nyc, taking the train, walking everywhere and those darn subway steps!!) but back then when I lost weight I had a regular diet of mc donalds, processed food and other umentionables, and now I'm eating healthy, exercising like a mad woman, yet all I can do is maintain. :-/
I ate pretty healthy too—I just ate too much of it.

Try counting calories for a while and seeing how much you're actually eating. It can be pretty eye opening as to how many calories you're eating in a day.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I ate pretty healthy too—I just ate too much of it.

Try counting calories for a while and seeing how much you're actually eating. It can be pretty eye opening as to how many calories you're eating in a day.
Yup yup!! It's amazing how fast it can get away from you if you don't count it up.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #14  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

As I am following no diet plan, not counting calories, not banning any food, still eating 3 meals a day plus snacks, still having nights out/meals out/weekly takeouts etc. you could say I'm losing on exercise alone.

I have been exercising for 3 months now. From pretty much nothing to quite a lot each week, and in that time I've lost 25+ pounds.

BUT, previous to that, I would have eaten a **** of a lot more rubbish, so I have cut down A LOT on the terrible diet I had.
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #15  
Feed the muscle

Okay, why is everyone assuming I don't count calories?? I do. I'm not a complete novice when it comes to weightloss. I was just wondering people's opinion on the subject, not necessarily relating to me. I know the difference between eating healthy and eating lower calories.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but most of the comments here seem rather condescending. :-/

Anyway, that's really interesting takingcontrol, I wonder how come this works for you, and not everyone else. Maybe even after all that you're still within a good calorie limit for your body.