General chatter - Wrist size and body type

View Full Version : Wrist size and body type

mirax3
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Is it true that your wrist size determines your body type? I know there are probably exceptions as there are with anything, but I was always curious to see what people thought about this.

I'm 5'6 175 and I think that I have a larger body structure as I carry my weight fairly well and evenly across my body. However, when I do the "wrist test" my fingers slightly overlap which would mean that according to the test I have a "smaller frame". There is nooo way that is true. I know I still have weight to lose but I do not have a small frame hidden under the rest of my weight.

What do you guys think, is the "wrist test" is accurate for you?

DrivenByAmbition
04-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Isn't true for me either.

ValRock
04-10-2012, 08:57 PM
My fingers overlap too... and I think I have a medium frame.

ETA- I used to think I had such a huge frame... I'm realizing, not so much! I'm tall but I wear a size 5 ring and have tiny wrists and elbows. I honestly might have a small framed girl hiding in here, who knows???

Only Me
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Which wrist test? I can just touch my fingers together, but I also have a wrist measurement just under 6". So is my frame small or medium?

ETA: I think I just have particularly short fingers and a medium frame on the smaller end of medium.

mirax3
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Only Me- http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html
It is the first test they talk about- your longest finger and thumb wrapped around your wrist.

That's interesting to see. I had all my friends do it who are small framed and their fingers overlapped. I probably have a medium frame on second thought. Maybe I just have long fingers!

threenorns
04-10-2012, 09:17 PM
when they talk about frame size, they don't mean measurements from side to side. you could have narrow hips but a large frame or hips like the broad side of a barn but still be a medium.

it's the actual size of the bones themselves.

f.ex,. me, there's a good inch gap between my fingertips and yes, i know i have a large frame bec my collarbone's easily an inch thick, compared to the average of about 3/4".

check this page: it's got more than one way to determine your frame size

http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html

Use body frame size test two: Measure the smallest part of your wrist, using a tape measure. You might be able to do this on your own, or you might need help.

Compare this measurement to the following chart for women: If your height is under 5 feet 2 inches, then a small body size will have a wrist measurement of less than 5.5 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 5.5 to 5.75 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 5.75 inches.

For women whose height is 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist measurement of less than 6 inches; a medium body size will have a wrist measurement from 6 to 6.25 inches; a large body size will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.25 inches.

For women whose height is more than 5 feet 5 inches, a small body frame will have a wrist size of less than 6.25 inches; a medium body frame will have a wrist size from 6.25 to 6.5 inches; a large body frame will have a wrist measurement of more than 6.5 inches.

Read more: How to Determine Body Frame Size | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html#ixzz1rgrSTDTR

berryblondeboys
04-10-2012, 09:46 PM
The measurement with a fabric tape measure is more accurate than fingers overlapping. Therre is also the elbow width test.

And my wrists are 6.75 inches (were 7.25 when I started this, so yes, wrists can have fat!) but that meures as a large frame. I forgot the elbow breadth, but that measured even morer obscenely large framed than the wrist measurement.

Horo
04-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Hmm.. I'm 5'6", my fingers overlap when I wrap them around my wrist, and my wrist measures 6". According to that page, that means I have a "small" frame size. :yikes:

I don't feel like my frame is small, but maybe all those years of being told "you're just big boned!" when I was overweight got to me.

I know for sure weight can affect wrist measurement too, when I was at my highest my fingers wouldn't even touch when wrapped around my wrist... so I wonder how accurate that guide can really be.

patchworkpenguin
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm 5'7 220 and my fingers {thumb and middle} have about 3/4 of an inch until they touch. I've known I am 'oversized" a long time and mostly have to buy bracelets/watches/gloves in the mens department or make my own. :dizzy:

geoblewis
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm nearly 6' tall, and my wrist is 8" around. Big frame, my palms are huge but my fingers are not that long. I wear big rings as well as big hats and shoes. Hardy, watermelon-tossing peasant stock here!

berryblondeboys
04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Hmm.. I'm 5'6", my fingers overlap when I wrap them around my wrist, and my wrist measures 6". According to that page, that means I have a "small" frame size. :yikes:

I don't feel like my frame is small, but maybe all those years of being told "you're just big boned!" when I was overweight got to me.

I know for sure weight can affect wrist measurement too, when I was at my highest my fingers wouldn't even touch when wrapped around my wrist... so I wonder how accurate that guide can really be.

If you're in your 140s and think you can be in the 130s at 5'6", you do not have a large frame.

Jez
04-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Yeah, my fingers overlap. I have long fingers and bony wrists. I also have super broad shoulders :-/

sontaikle
04-11-2012, 12:22 AM
I always thought I had a large frame, but I'm guessing I have a small or medium frame. I have broad shoulders so I just thought that meant I was large framed too.

When I measure my wrist I get 5.5" now when I used to get 6". My fingers also overlap.

Doing elbow breadth I get a large frame though.

Not sure where that leaves me.

Edit: It really wouldn't be too off the wall for me to be small or medium framed now that I think about it. Most of the family is large framed, but there are a few members (on both sides) that crop up every now and then that are small or medium framed. My great grandfather was quite short and 110lbs for example (poking around the 1940 census is fun!). I guess it's time to do a bit of research :)

Elliemar
04-11-2012, 03:35 AM
My wrists are tiny (5.5") and so are my hands, shoulders etc - I almost certainly have a small frame but prefer not to dwell on it as it means I could do with losing even more weight, lol.

jomatho
04-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Hmmm, this was interesting to me. My fingers overlap by a full knuckle, my wrist measures 5.75, and at 5'7" this puts me at a small frame.
I have been thinking I was a medium frame all this time, and pretty sure I am medium. But my mom has a very small frame, I think I just assumed because I was taller and just felt bigger than her I was more a medium, plus if she happens to gain a little weight, she is more a pear, so she still looks tiny up top. When I gain, I gain all over and do not look tiny at all. I have a couple friends that are my height that are large framed, so I knew that wasn't me, but small? I don't think so.
I have noticed as I am losing more and more weight that I look "small" to myself, surprisingly. I wonder if you can be small framed up top and large framed on the bottom :lol: I don't think my ankle bones would pass the same type test as the wrist :lol:
And I certainly don't want to think about where that puts me on weight charts.
I think I will stick with medium in my mind ;)

WebWoman
04-11-2012, 08:13 AM
My wrist is only 5 1/2 inches and I'm 5'8" tall - guess I have a small frame. So I'll have to adjust my weight goal about 10 pounds I suppose...

banananutmuffin
04-11-2012, 08:24 AM
For the record, my fingers overlap and I am smaller. I wear a size 3.75 wedding band. But I also have long fingers.

But I'm not sure that "frame size" is meaningful in any way.

I have very broad shoulders for my size and narrow hips (typical inverted triangle shape). Does this mean I have a large frame or small frame? Does height make you larger or is it the broadness of your ribcage? I just don't think it's a very telling thing.

My hubby works in orthopedics. He and his doc have done countless surgeries on people's bones: knees, legs, arms, etc. They have both said that they have never cut into someone and seen evidence that someone was "big boned." Everyone just has normal sized bones, according to them.

berryblondeboys
04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
For the record, my fingers overlap and I am smaller. I wear a size 3.75 wedding band. But I also have long fingers.

But I'm not sure that "frame size" is meaningful in any way.

I have very broad shoulders for my size and narrow hips (typical inverted triangle shape). Does this mean I have a large frame or small frame? Does height make you larger or is it the broadness of your ribcage? I just don't think it's a very telling thing.

My hubby works in orthopedics. He and his doc have done countless surgeries on people's bones: knees, legs, arms, etc. They have both said that they have never cut into someone and seen evidence that someone was "big boned." Everyone just has normal sized bones, according to them.

My mother in law is also a doctor and she says opposite. Bones are bones - and sure big boned doesnt mean "Big bones" necessarily, but someone with a rib cage with no fat that is 34" around has more bone to them than someone's rib cage is 26" inches around. Someone who wears a size 6 shoe has less bone weight/size than someone who has a size 10 foot. Someone who has hips (and is thin) that is 36" has more bone than someone's hips that are 32". Maybe if you cut into the bones they are very similar, but no one in their right mind can convince me that there are not small framed people and large framed people. It's not just short and tall, but broad and narrow.

And yes, of course, we are more than our wrist size and our elbow breadth. My husband is much bigger built in the bottom half of his body than the top half. Some are small all over, some are big all over, but there are some general guidelines we can follow.

And it BUGS me when people try to dismiss frame size because when you TRULY are built big - wide, you're basically telling me that I should weigh the same as every other person my height. If that were the case, there would be ONE recommended weight for each height, right? Instead of a range.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a small build. I would love to have the midwife not say I have birthing hips (delivered a 11 lbs 14 ounces baby boy vaginally - naturally). I would love to wear dainty shoes instead of a size 10. I would love to have a small ribcage instead of a huge one. I would love to have the build of a dainty ballerina. Instead I have a build of a shot putter.

It's these comments that make us truly bigger girls feel bad about ourselves since we simply cannot get as light on the scale as our finer boned counterparts. Took me YEARS to realize that and I would hate for some young girl now to feel like they are too fat because of their large build and corresponding higher weight on the scale.

MonteCristo
04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
According to that website, I'm definitely large framed. 5'6" with 8inch wrist. When I lose weight it will get a bit smaller, but has never been below 7inch. Which puts my goal weight at 143, and that is probably as low as I'd ever go...I was a 4-6 at 155.

krampus
04-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Tiny frame, which is why I look borderline overweight or at the least, very soft at my current height and weight. I'm 5'5 and can wear little girls' shoes.

Natasha22
04-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, my wrist size is 5.3 inches and my fingers really overlap, but I have a medium frame. I have small hands, thin fingers, but I don't see how this would be an indicator of how my whole body is built.

philana
04-11-2012, 10:12 AM
My wrist size is 5.9 - so I figure I am small framed. It's probably why at 139 I still feel so fat. My upperbody is turning into the tiny range because there's not much fat left there and my bones are so 'thin'. But the other 19lbs are at my legs/bum. It's really annoying.

I am so not liking the small frame + pear combination.
Though I guess big frame + apple would be just as annoying.

sept15lija
04-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I always went with the "I am big-boned" thing too as an overweight girl (that's what I was told and believed)...but not so much. My fingers definitely overlap on the wrist test (haven't actually measured though as of yet), and I am actually quite small framed. I seriously never knew!! haha

sontaikle
04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
My mother in law is also a doctor and she says opposite. Bones are bones - and sure big boned doesnt mean "Big bones" necessarily, but someone with a rib cage with no fat that is 34" around has more bone to them than someone's rib cage is 26" inches around. Someone who wears a size 6 shoe has less bone weight/size than someone who has a size 10 foot. Someone who has hips (and is thin) that is 36" has more bone than someone's hips that are 32". Maybe if you cut into the bones they are very similar, but no one in their right mind can convince me that there are not small framed people and large framed people. It's not just short and tall, but broad and narrow.

And yes, of course, we are more than our wrist size and our elbow breadth. My husband is much bigger built in the bottom half of his body than the top half. Some are small all over, some are big all over, but there are some general guidelines we can follow.

And it BUGS me when people try to dismiss frame size because when you TRULY are built big - wide, you're basically telling me that I should weigh the same as every other person my height. If that were the case, there would be ONE recommended weight for each height, right? Instead of a range.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a small build. I would love to have the midwife not say I have birthing hips (delivered a 11 lbs 14 ounces baby boy vaginally - naturally). I would love to wear dainty shoes instead of a size 10. I would love to have a small ribcage instead of a huge one. I would love to have the build of a dainty ballerina. Instead I have a build of a shot putter.

It's these comments that make us truly bigger girls feel bad about ourselves since we simply cannot get as light on the scale as our finer boned counterparts. Took me YEARS to realize that and I would hate for some young girl now to feel like they are too fat because of their large build and corresponding higher weight on the scale.

It's hard for me to think that we can just outright deny body frames. I mean if you LOOK at people it's easy to see that some are built bigger than others. It's just another excuse for people to feel superior to others I think :?:

I see it with my brothers! One of them clearly has a large build and the other one might not. The both wear the same t-shirt size, but my large framed brother has wide shoulders and is very V shaped (He looks muscular and yet does nothing! haha) while my other brother wears an XL or XXL shirt because his is overweight. The large framed brother has to get suits and things tailored because otherwise his clothes fit around his shoulders but are very baggy around his waist. The large framed brother is technically "obese" but the doctor told my mother not to worry because he's just built bigger. Honestly you'd never even guess that he weighs as much as he does!

Luckily we have a doctor with a brain or my poor brother might be getting a lot of grief about his weight.

I really think we'd all do a lot better with this weight thing if we took frame size into account or if doctors had the tools and training to measure body fat percentage. Large framed people really get the short end of the stick otherwise.

Sure, our bones are all the same when you cut them open or whatever, but that fails to explain why some of us have wider shoulders, bigger feet, etc. If we were all the same then we wouldn't need all these different clothing sizes.

I don't even know if frame size tells the entire story either. It's hard for me to say what I am because some areas of my body are "small" while others are "large." My ribcage is either 29" or 30" depending on the day, for example and my shoulders are wide (like my brother). While my wrists and hands are small. My feet are on the average side though. So I don't know where I fit because when you take the two ways to measure body frame I get large and small! Agh!

Like you said, it would suck for some young girl to hate her body when she's probably fine just because she's large framed. If people recognize that there are different frame sizes then it'll be a lot easier on all of us.

krampus
04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I like being of small build - but I wish I were larger framed sometimes so I would look proportionally "thinner" at a higher weight and my hands and feet didn't look absurdly small next to my arms and legs!

berryblondeboys
04-11-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't even know if frame size tells the entire story either. It's hard for me to say what I am because some areas of my body are "small" while others are "large." My ribcage is either 29" or 30" depending on the day, for example and my shoulders are wide (like my brother). While my wrists and hands are small. My feet are on the average side though. So I don't know where I fit because when you take the two ways to measure body frame I get large and small! Agh!

Like you said, it would suck for some young girl to hate her body when she's probably fine just because she's large framed. If people recognize that there are different frame sizes then it'll be a lot easier on all of us.

I think these are VERY rough guides. I'm pretty much big all over in the frame size - big hands, big feet, wide shoulders, wide (round) rib cage, big hips, knobby knees/elbows, etc. My husband, on the other hand has a TEENY rib cage, very broad shoulders. fairly thin arms/wrists and then big leg bones and even hips and he's NOT overweight at all - 6'1" and 170-175. Overall, he probably averages out to be a medium frame where parts are small and parts are large and some medium - he's just not consistently big or small over the entire body.

I see it in my two boys too - my older son (15) is built just like his father - just going to be slightly taller and an even smaller rib cage, but HUGE feet and hands. My younger son (almost 7) is built like a tank. He is built soooooo big and not fat at all. The doctor said that he's fine even though according to BMI he's overweight. My older son's bmi? 18 and it was 17 until recently, but she wasn't too concerned with that either as he appears to be naturally thin and his frame is still filling out (got tall, but not widened out yet with puberty).

DeFluffinMyStuffin
04-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Anyone have freakishly small ankles? I'm short, 5"2 and am honestly not sure if I'm a pear or apple. Visually, I'm more an eggplant but, I digress. Even the two times in my adult life that I was in the neighborhood of a healthy weight, my ankles looked completely disproportionate to my body. Think waffle cone gams. Unfortunately, the texture isn't that off either. :o
I remember once when I was a teen 200 years ago, my mom short of blankly stared towards my feet for a few min and just blurted out, "Wow, doesn't look like those little ankles could hold your body up". She was right. They don't.
I wear a 5 and 5 1/2 ring size depending on the hand and my fingers touch when I grasp my wrist but do not overlap. My shoulders are short though. Shirts always fall off my shoulders even with the boobies o' bigness.
I have itty bitty ears too, but have dog hearing. Go figure.

~Defluffin! :dance:

Elladorine
04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Anyone have freakishly small ankles?
I'm on the taller side at 5' 8" and wear size 10 shoes. And even at my highest weight of 360, I don't think I carried an ounce of fat on either my feet or ankles! I've always been a little thankful that I've never had cankles. :dizzy:

And I wouldn't exactly call my legs slim, but they're a lot smaller than the rest of me. The majority of my weight is in my stomach; in fact it's about 8" wider than my hips! :o I also carry excess in my upper legs and arms, and my butt is kinda small.

My ring finger was a size 10 in high school! :o I can even remember friends telling me I had such chubby fingers. It's a loose 8 now, and I'm not that much smaller than back then so I'm not sure what happened there. :lol: I can definitely overlap my finger and my thumb around my wrist, but it certainly wasn't possible at my highest weight.

ronni62
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Very interesting thread! Interesting mostly to see the differences in everyone! Apparently, I have a large frame, as I'm only 5'1", but wrist measures 6 3/4" around and can't get my fingers to touch (yet!). I can see bone differences in my sons--both are 6' tall, but older son has really small wrists (smaller than mine, even!). Younger son has thicker wrists than older, but both have really long fingers and toes:lol: Does frame size affect the ease with which males can build muscle? They both seem so long and lanky and have a hard time building upper body muscle-just wondering.

mirax3
04-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Amen! I have a rather large frame despite my small wrist size. My entire family has a large frame. I am the smallest framed woman in my family. Still, there is no way in heck I could be healthy at 120-even 130. My final goal will be around the 140's and I will be looking thin. Frame size is very important and I spent years hating myself for having a larger frame. I have since learned to embrace it and take what I see on the scale as less important than what I see on the outside. That would be my advice to anyone who has a larger frame/build.

Arctic Mama
04-11-2012, 04:04 PM
It has been accurate for me. I have a broad, muscled frame, even though I am short and have petite measurements through my torso (short torso, long legs). By the wrist test, at this weight of my highest weights, I always had a large frame. Even through losing that hasn't changed much, I have a lot of skeletal and lean mass, just through genetics and all fat aside.

PrincessSophia
04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
small. That is why I look overweight in my current weight.

JohnP
04-12-2012, 12:52 AM
This is not a matter of opinion.

There is no disputing the fact that some people have larger frames than others who are the same height.

A test of fingers and wrists makes no sense because some people have big frames and small hands or vice versa.

The measurements of ones wrists and ankles relative to their height is what is relevant.

Yet another reason that BMI as it relates to an individual is not a useful way to determine body fat percentage.

chickadee32
04-12-2012, 01:49 AM
My wrist measurement very much changed with weight loss. My right wrist used to measure ~6 1/2 inches, and now measures 5 3/4 inches. At my height, that would define me as small-framed. However, my right ankle measurement is currently 8 inches, which would suggest a medium frame... but that could change too with more weight loss, as I am carrying most of my excess fat in my stomach and legs. I have hard time believing I'm small-framed though... my shoulders are really wide, and my underbust measurement is 31 inches and unlikely to get any smaller (you can readily see my ribs at this point from both front and back, so I doubt there's much fat left to lose there).

Interesting, though.

d130
04-12-2012, 05:14 AM
I typically measure as a small-framed person, and that does sound about right for me. My wrist measurement is 5.75", my shoe size is a 6, and my ring size is a 5 (though I think it's actually be a bit smaller at this point), but my ankle measurement is 8.25" (assuming I've measured where I'm supposed to!). I have larger calves though so it would make sense that my ankle measurement would be larger as well. :)

berryblondeboys
04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
You know another thing that is always odd? There are so many variations on how to measure the wrist too - weird.

Anyway, I found this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:C3itxt9vjUEJ:www.futrex.com/faq/Selecting%2520Frame%2520Size.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShUVovDfn52VCzVAewkQitFB__j-61NuBOmmded3ifCFLKDkYt5X7x5GrzQQoIw4HB6NN5D2Aieqi-yS04tOAm7mRRwDNR8wejtgnG3HVHo6qbfT30ezGhsHHGNkIPkc q2af8Cc&sig=AHIEtbT3umlF66f3wJ4MxUVuKTFkj4aC8w&pli=1

basically just reconfirms I'm a large framed person - ankle is 9" (first thing in the morning when I have zero puffiness) and my thumb and forefinger don't touch - not even close - like an inch to go! Actual measurement is 6.66. Elbow girth test is really hard to do by oneself, but with that I get right at large frame, 2 2/3s (I think). All for my height of course.

But more, you can tell by looking at someone, can't you? (when they are close to their ideal weight especially). I can see in people's avatars even by their face alone sometimes what their frame size is. I volunteer at my son's 1st grade class every day and the differences in sizes with these 6/7 year olds is HUGE. Not just in height, but in every way. Girls and boys with teeny tiny butts/hips and then kids with big, solid frames. It's the same in my fitness classes - you can SEE frame size so easily -without measuring.

Sum38
04-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Interesting posts.

My wrist measures 5 3/4 inces. I have always considered myself as petite.

A few weeks back one of my gay (male) friends made a comment; I always thought you were a big boned girl but you are turning into a petite thing. -- Which is very true, and that is why I have still such a long way to go :( I looked fit and trim around 120 pounds even at 115.

jomatho
04-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh my goodness, now I am measuring my ankles :lol:
My ankles come out to medium frame, my wrists small, but to me, I look medium so I am going with that.
I am a medium framed person with a little bit smaller wrists than the rest of me :lol:

Sum38
04-12-2012, 08:03 AM
jo hehe...me too :D 7 1/2 for ankle...so I am a small medium :lol3:

sontaikle
04-12-2012, 08:12 AM
You know another thing that is always odd? There are so many variations on how to measure the wrist too - weird.

Anyway, I found this:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:C3itxt9vjUEJ:www.futrex.com/faq/Selecting%2520Frame%2520Size.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShUVovDfn52VCzVAewkQitFB__j-61NuBOmmded3ifCFLKDkYt5X7x5GrzQQoIw4HB6NN5D2Aieqi-yS04tOAm7mRRwDNR8wejtgnG3HVHo6qbfT30ezGhsHHGNkIPkc q2af8Cc&sig=AHIEtbT3umlF66f3wJ4MxUVuKTFkj4aC8w&pli=1

basically just reconfirms I'm a large framed person - ankle is 9" (first thing in the morning when I have zero puffiness) and my thumb and forefinger don't touch - not even close - like an inch to go! Actual measurement is 6.66. Elbow girth test is really hard to do by oneself, but with that I get right at large frame, 2 2/3s (I think). All for my height of course.

But more, you can tell by looking at someone, can't you? (when they are close to their ideal weight especially). I can see in people's avatars even by their face alone sometimes what their frame size is. I volunteer at my son's 1st grade class every day and the differences in sizes with these 6/7 year olds is HUGE. Not just in height, but in every way. Girls and boys with teeny tiny butts/hips and then kids with big, solid frames. It's the same in my fitness classes - you can SEE frame size so easily -without measuring.

LOL!! This just made it more confusing for me. I wonder if I am a series of random body parts put together :lol:

Here's what happens according to all the ways to detect frame size for me:
Wrist: 5.5" - small frame
Elbow breadth: 3" - large frame
Ankle: 8" - medium frame

Oh dear.

banananutmuffin
04-12-2012, 10:56 AM

There is no disputing the fact that some people have larger frames than others who are the same height.

A test of fingers and wrists makes no sense because some people have big frames and small hands or vice versa.

The measurements of ones wrists and ankles relative to their height is what is relevant.

Yet another reason that BMI as it relates to an individual is not a useful way to determine body fat percentage.

Now this kind of makes sense to me: wrist/ankles relative to height as an indicator of frame size. But again, I have to say, I'm just not sure this tells the whole story or makes "frame size" meaningful. I have very very broad shoulders and narrow hips. Also a broader ribcage. From the waist up, I look like a linebacker. But if you measured just my wrists and ankles relative to height, I'm sure I'd be considered small framed because it doesn't take into account my upper body size. If you just measured my shoulders and ribs, I'd be considered bigger, I am certain.

mirax3
04-12-2012, 11:00 AM

You're absolutely right. I measured my ankles and wrists and it seems I have a medium frame. I always considered myself to have a larger frame but maybe as I continue to lose weight my "true" body frame/size will show.

And yes, BMI needs to be replaced with another system. It's completely inaccurate for someone like me who has a muscular build.