Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:23 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default not wanting to stick out

Hey people,

I've been telling myself for months now "if i lose at little bit more, i will join a gym". My fear as that I will be the only really fat person there and I will be embarassed. I'm intimidated by the standard "health club" people [you know, the perfect body types who live to workout].

Does anyone else have this fear of health clubs? I would really like to join one (i live in a fairly small apartment and don't have room to own much equipment besides a few sets of dumbells). Should I just get over this irrational fear and join one anyway?

I'm thinking I should start a gym for fat people. Nobody allowed inside the building who isn't at least 40 pounds overweight .
Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

You shouldn't be ashamed of going to the gym. Truthfully, most people who see a very overweight person at the gym are NOT thinking, "Oh my God, what a pig!" They ARE thinking, "Good for them for doing something positive!"

Now go join the gym!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I say go for it. I have the fear, too. You're not alone. I always think, "Oh my God, I'm going to be the fattest person there." And sometimes I am. But no one ever makes fun of me. (That I can hear, anyway) In fact, most give me encouraging smiles.

I would join your gym for fat people. Make sure you have lots of body sheets mixed in w/the hair towels.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:10 PM   #4  
Dying to be thin

I say go for it. I am joining Jazzercise next week, and I will probably be the heaviest one....I don't care. We all have to start somewhere. Maybe there is a thin person there who was in your shoes at one time!!! Besides, go for yourself! I am sure there are plenty of people who will think you are doing an awesome thing!!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:19 PM   #5  
Catwoman

I once went to a gym for several years, it was great! Highly recommend it. There were ppl there all sizes from tiny to big but with a common goal - to work out. That's it, you do your exersizes, it's not some big socal event though some ppl try and make it one its just a place to work out and you do your own thing. Go for it!

Kitty
Old 03-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Matt - I joined the Y 3 weeks ago.. and LOVE IT! Here is my attitude towards it... I imagine that all the "skinny people" (there are a lot of fat people too - but I do live in the mid west ) think I'm brave for being there
or.. I imagine that they were once fat too - and that's how I'm going to look if I keep going to the gym. I think of those people as my role models.

It's all in the attitude Matt!

Good Luck!

Dana
Old 03-13-2003, 11:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

hey i'm starting a SWIM TEAM on the 1st.

how's that for ya? but i am ignoring tha fact that i will be the biggest and concentrating on how good it will make me look and feel. =)
Old 03-14-2003, 12:21 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

matt..i was afraid ofjoining the local gym as well, but it was that or sabotage everything i've worked so hard for.

the first stop for me was the trainers. and it was the smartest thing i did. they have been absolutely supportive and helpful. they haven't pushed me beyond my abilities, and tney keep me on track and watch out for me. and when the skinny people happen to notice me [which isn't that often], and i'm with the trainer, they realize that i'm serious.

sure, there are a few idiots, but nearly everyone has been either silent, or supportive. and there have been a few surprises, like the teenager who spent the evening parading around in a bikini top and sweats pulled down to where they really revealed too much. i thought she was glaring at me and thinking how fat i was but we happened to end up in the locker room, and i dropped something, and she handed it back with the sunniest smile.

oh. and my trainer is this tiny little woman who doesn't even come up to myshoulder, and doesn't weigh 90 pounds! BUT she's a doll...

so, bottom line...GO FOR IT!!!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 01:24 AM   #9  
Searching

Do you think the people at the gym started out with perfect bodies? NO! They had to start going there. And absolutely get a trainer to show you the ropes and good form for lifting. As a man you can totally take advantage of your lean muscle and by dropping waist sizes like crazy! If you get a chance before you go read Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Its a good starter book for lifting weights.

Miss Chris
Old 03-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #10  

GO FOR IT MATT!!!! I, too, was afraid of joining at first, but once I actually joined, I looked around and noticed that the majority of the people there are just normal people like you & me. I think my fear of being surrounded by skinny-minnies was just a way for me to avoid it! I say do it & who cares what anyone else thinks. You're there for yourself!
Old 03-14-2003, 10:55 AM   #11  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Matt - That is so funny that you mentioned opening a gym for fat people...I had the EXACT same thought last night on the way home. That is too wierd.

I think you should go for it. Be sure to check out all the local gyms in your area. Some of them are much more fru fru than others. You might feel more at home at a gym that is less of a meat market. Where everyone isn't there to be "looked at". I never felt better than when I was going to the gym.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

Default sandi dear....

i just took a REAL good look at your stats... now honey. you've been having your struggles and your ups and downs. but LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS!!!!!!!1

i'm so impressed with what you've accomplished, and with your determination. keep it going!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:43 AM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Matt -

I've been at gyms and the YMCA and I love it. My favorite is when a skinney girl gets on the eliptical machine beside me and can't keep up with my pace, she keeps looking over at my screen like, "no way!"

Bottom line is.... The gym is the last place where people will judge you. On the street, someone can look at me and think, "wow, she's fat, she must be so lazy," but in the gym they won't think twice about making that assumption. It sure can be daunting to walk into the gym for the first time but I think you'll learn to fall in love with it.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:48 PM   #14  
Getting Back In Control

Matt,

All of the others are right on target. I am just back after about 1 1/2 years of being away from actively watching my weight. The biggest mistake I made was giving up my time for the gym. Going three times a week made a HUGE difference in my attitude about myself and staying OP. Making a commitment to go at least once a week (to start) was the first thing I did so I could get in the right mindset again.

Like was suggested in one of the posts above, choose one that isn't a meat market but a healthy place for you to be. There are so many around these days that we can pick and choose. Check a few of them out with a guest, or courtesy pass, if possible. Think about what you will be wanting to concentrate on and look for the place that will provide more of that type of equipment, gear, or classes. Find one that is open at the times you will be able to work out regularly so it is not as easy to make excuses for not going. (I go at 5:30am and used to be surprised at how busy they were.)

I go to an inexpensive ($19.75 per month) small neighborhood gym that is strictly business. It has no aerobics classes but has lots of cardio equipment, free weights, and machines. It also has great trainers who are concerned about each of their clients. Several of them have lost 50 - 80 lbs themselves, which is a motivator for me. The personnel there greet me warmly each time I come in and spend time walking the floor to see how everyone is doing, giving pointers when needed, and generally showing they care about each of us. Because of their attitude, most people who go there seem to be friendly without making judgements about size. That is something that makes me want to come back - aerobics classes I can find most anywhere!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:00 PM   #15  

Matt, I feel the same way that you do. I have always been afraid of what others are thinking when they see me struggling at a gym, and that is probably why I've never joined one.
My brother in law worked late nights at a gym for a while, and he said it was always completely empty except for a couple of people. He always said that those people were the one's who were too self-conscious to go during the busy hours. So maybe you could go to a gym during off hours and not have to worry about the looks.
Closed Thread