Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 149/134/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Support from others

Hi all! I am new to the forum and currently a calorie counter. I try to do between 1200-1500 calories per day.

So, do you all have support from your family, friends, husbands etc? My husband is fairly supportive but sometimes he could be better. During the week I have no problems meeting my goal. But on the weekends we tend to be out and about. Which often means eating out. I really try not to make a big deal about it and just tell him to let me know where we are going so I can plan. If I can plan what I am ordering for dinner in the morning I can do my breakfast and lunch calories around that. He will usually say something to the tune of you can take weekends off and one meal ain't going to kill you. Now I know all of that is true to a point. But my fear at this point, since I have only been calorie counting for about a month, once I do that I will throw my hands up and say oh well. Or I will start to do it too much.

Now I truly don't believe my husband is trying to sabotage me or anything. I really think he is trying to be nice and helpful. But I don't think he realizes how important this is to me and how dedicated I am to myself right now. Since my kids were born I have been 100% about them. And now it is time for me.

I have also had my sister say stuff to me. She just had a baby 3 months ago and is already down to below her prepregnancy weight and no left over belly either. She has said stuff too and basically just makes fun of me for my efforts. Again, I really don't think it comes from a mean place, but it does get old.

So, how do youall deal with this? I just try remind myself how much lighter I feel and better I feel from not eating that heavy and greasy stuff. Even if the scale doesn't move, I really FEEL better, and that is the most important thing.
wheresmyraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Nope, none. Mostly because no one but a few lovely people on 3FC know I calorie count. Not my family, not my friends, not my boyfriend.

The reason is that a) they then feel like they can monitor me and b) they do things like say "one piece won't kill you" or "you can take the weekend off, can't you?" If they don't know I'm doing it, I can do whatever I need to do without any protests.

It also lowers any purposeful or accidental sabotage attempts.

But people have noticed I'm losing weight. They don't know how exactly, but they see it. When people give me flak for that, I tend to ignore it. Logic won't help, and even if I explain it, they won't really understand. It's not entirely their fault.

So I spare them and myself and don't talk about it in specifics. Sometimes I'll bring up health-related news (i.e. Congress declaring pizza a veggie and how ridiculous that is), but nothing specific to me and my efforts.

This works best for me. If that's not what you want, I'd suggest first trying to just ignore it. If it really gets to be too much, maybe sit down and talk to them in a rational way. Just say that this is important to you, and it makes it a lot harder when they say things like X or Y. Be gentle - they may not realize the way they're affecting you.

Good luck!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

My husband is supportive. I have gluten intolerance, keep kosher and I'm trying to lose weight. Therefore, I don't eat out. It probably bothers him but he doesn't say much about it. There are other things we can do together. If were out I can go a long time before I need to eat or maybe I'll go to the store and get a small snack.

You could just tell your sister to shut her mouth...but do it nicely. Remind your husband that you feel better when you eat better. It doesn't have to be about losing weight.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

My husband is supportive. I told him to never offer me any food and he has complied with my request, even though it doesn't come naturally to him because he's polite to a fault.

Perhaps you can give clear and simple instructions to your hubby and sister (e.g., "I find it very helpful when you don't mention my eating choices.")

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #5  
Choose Your Hard

S/C/G: 180 / ticker / 140

Height: 5'5"

When I first started people were really not as helpful as I had hoped. I too would ask where we are going so I could plan my meal & calories around it. But I have noticed that everyone has seen how committed I have been for the past 3 months to my new healthy lifestyle and they have really changed their attitudes. They see me losing weight & now they don't even tell me "one meal won't kill you" or pressure me to eat more. It is weird but I love it!! Now they pick healthier places when I am there. Even my easter gifts were non-food centered! Totally awesome! I found the more I share how committed & how happy I am, the more supportive my family & friends have been. =D I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I am, so it is much harder for others. I pray everyone starts supporting you more. ALso I have found this place REALLY helps too. =D
DollyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote