Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

Red face Getting motivated after the holiday weekend

So I hope everyone had a good Easter yesterday! For me, Easter means a family gathering with lots and lots of food, including desserts. I decided not to worry about calories, but still monitored it enough to keep myself from going overboard. My birthday was today. My parents took me out for a nice dinner on Saturday and got me a birthday cake which is currently sitting in my fridge. The whole weekend was about being surrounded by family and food. I have so much left over food here, healthy and unhealthy, and I don't feel mentally ready to resist eating all the goodies at once.

I know I could throw out the bad stuff, but I haven't done that the whole time I've been dieting, I just eat smaller portions of the bad stuff and make sure I have enough calories to have it.

Overall I just need some tips on remotivating myself to tackle the next week. That'll be the hardest as I balance eating the good left overs and healthier foods. Any tips to getting myself back on track/mentally back in the game?
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Wish I had a good answer for this one.....my kids candy keeps taunting me..........
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/210/145

Height: 5'7"

I'm a teacher, so I tossed all of my Easter candy in a treasure chest at school for my kids.

...of course, I still have to deal with the fact that I can OPEN the treasure chest and munch away...
italicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Please don't let it get away from you! I let go in January. We had the holidays, Christmas, Chanukah, New Years.... lots of food around. Then it was my birthday, and I just got tired. I just completely let go!! I've had a terribly time since then, getting my head back in the game and keeping it there! I gained back 10 pounds and I'm trying to lose it again, but then Easter weekend.... and I have another Easter dinner this weekend coming up (Eastern Orthodox with my family).

Just keep reminding yourself each time you want to eat something you shouldn't. Keep reminding yourself each time you want to skip exercise. Don't gain ten pounds. Don't go backwards. Losing weight the first time sucks. Doing it a second and third time sucks even more. Take it from me.

Every day, tell yourself you're going to do it. Every day, make that effort. Even if you don't do well today, do it again tomorrow, and eventually it's going to click.

That's the only thing I can say. I hope someone else has better advice!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #5  

Oh, I have so much trouble resisting when there's delicious food around. I just try not to overdo it and have only a few bites of something. It's so frustrating, last night I had a large piece of cheese cake, in my family we always make cheese cake on holidays. As if the large piece wasn't enough, I added whipped cream on it. Hopefully I'll burn it all this week.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #6  

Makes me feel a little better to know I'm not alone struggling to resist all the goodies.
twinieten what you had to say really helps a lot. thinking about gaining back 10 of the 20 I've lost is pretty motivating to stick with it. it was hard enough to lose it the first time.
its just so demotivating because I know i weigh a couple pounds more already. I don't think its actual fat because I don't feel like I was that horrible with eating, but no matter whats causing the increase its demotivating to have to lose it again.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Can you send the leftover away with someone? The cake I would toss (after I let my husband have some of it). I can't just have a couple bites of something so I'd either have to give away the food or throw it away.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #8  

several of the left overs are cooked veggies, so those aren't a big deal. the rest of the "bad" stuff i really don't have much of. so i think its just a matter of resisting eating it all at once. i figured id have one "bad" thing a day until its all gone. i thought id enjoy the cake a few more days and then toss it. if it really becomes a problem not being able to resist eating it i'll toss it sooner than that. i just hate to :/
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volschika007 View Post
i just hate to :/
I had to get over the guilt of throwing food away. I simply can't have some things in the house and there is no way around it. We had two Passover seders and an Easter brunch this weekend. I didn't cook here and I didn't bring anything home. My in-laws gave me a chocolate bunny. I bit his head off and threw him away (that sounds dirty). If you can be controlled then great but if you find you can't, don't feel guilty about getting rid of food!

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-10-2012 at 01:20 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  
Just watch me ...

First of all, happy birthday

The leftovers that are not healthy....keep a meal's worth and toss the rest. The birthday cake - I might cut myself a great big ole slice and toss the rest, but if you believe that will send you completely off the wagon maybe give it to a neighbor???
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #11  

LandonsBaby - I try not to feel bad about throwing out food lol if it really becomes an issue i'll find a way to get over it.

Exhale15 - that's a good idea about the bad food. to just keep enough for 1 meal. and maybe ill have friends over and try to pawn off slices of cake to them lol

I wonder how well itd keep if a froze the cake? I think id be far less tempted to eat it all the time if I knew it wasn't going to go bad. I think thats a big part of it..knowing that the cake will start to taste stale soon so i the mentality of "i better enjoy it now"
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volschika007 View Post
I wonder how well itd keep if a froze the cake?
Cake freezes just fine. Though I can't even have frozen cake in my house, because I will eat it straight from the freezer. You are made of stronger stuff than me!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/203/167

Height: 5"5

im so glad i found this. was just about to put a post up about how to stop your old ways coming back.
i let myself loose a bit over easter im im finding i cant stop!
iv regained 3lbs so far which im very upset about but still tonight iv gone straight asda and brought some of their big soft cookies and some ben and jerrys
i really dont want to regain anymore but it seems all my will power has gone
nicolae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolae View Post
im so glad i found this. was just about to put a post up about how to stop your old ways coming back.
i let myself loose a bit over easter im im finding i cant stop!
iv regained 3lbs so far which im very upset about but still tonight iv gone straight asda and brought some of their big soft cookies and some ben and jerrys
i really dont want to regain anymore but it seems all my will power has gone
I really feel the same. Like after a weekend of not worrying about, I really don't wanna go back to counting the calories! The good news is that unless you went super super overboard those 3 lbs you gained shouldn't be fat. I stopped taking my fiber over the weekend b/c i forgot to bring it with me and I sorta think thats part of my weight gain...not going regularly.

as much as it sucks to have to get back to it, we can both do it! and we have to or those 3 pounds will turn into 10!