Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Default IP Mandatory and Optional Supplements - how to use

I've been trying to search the forums for answers to this but I still have questions...forgive me if I'm starting a repeat.

My clinic requires that we use multi vita, potassium calcium, and cal mag supplements daily. They have optional supplements for antioxidants, enzymes and omega 3's. I bought the antioxidants and enzymes but they don't have any instructions for how to take them (with or without food, what time of day, etc). I'm also wondering if I should get omega 3's...I want to make sure I'm doing everything recommended to keep my body in good balance but I don't want to overdo it or spend money I don't need to spend either. Also, are there other good supplements not IP to consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I took, and am still taking, the mandatory IP ones. I tried their Omega 3's but the fishy after effects made me queasy, so now I've switched to chia seeds or flax seeds or hemp seeds. (I'm in Phase 4). There are other ways to get your Omega 3's. Some people like krill oil capsules and swear they are not fishy.

I tried their digestive enzymes and Adreset and one other by Metagenics. The quality is good, but I ended up finding cheaper versions at the health food store or on-line. I consider those all optional anyway. The mandatory pills are there to replace what you are not getting with the forbidden foods, so it's important to take them.

I've tried alot of other supplements that are supposed to keep carbs from turning into fat, but ultimately, I need to do this with my diet. Taking all these expensive supplements is not sustainable in the long term for me.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #3  

Thanks sewman! That's really helpful info...I've always been afraid of Omega 3's because of fishyness so now I know not to spend money on those.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJ100 View Post
Thanks sewman! That's really helpful info...I've always been afraid of Omega 3's because of fishyness so now I know not to spend money on those.
For my omega 3's I use Udo's 3-6-9 Oil Blend. It comes in either capsules or oil. The main ingredients are seed oils and not fish so there is no fishiness to them. They have many other health benefits too! I seen them on amazon, my local Whole Foods Market and supplement retailers. I'd look into them
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

I take the 3 mandatory ones from the clinic. However the others I buy from the drug store or Walmart as they cost much less. I use Johnson’s Omega 3’s (I get 180 for around $11.00) I take 3 a day, 1 in the AM and 2 with dinner. I use Swiss Brand Digestive enzymes (bought at Walmart 60 for $6.00) I take 4 a day 2 with breakfast 2 with Dinner. As for the Antioxidants I read what was in the one’s at the clinic and it’s nothing special get some green tea extract as it will do the same (buy at walmart- their brand- 80 for $5.00) I take 1 in the AM and 1 at Dinner. I only take my pills 2 times a day as 3 or more times I will forget. I also take some extra supplements- A vitamin B stress complex x1 a day, vitamin D x2 a day and Zinc x1 a day. I have taken the Zinc for years and when I went off it to start IP my sugar cravings were insane and did not stop until I started the zinc again. My mother is a nurse and has always said if you have the same cravings all the time your body is missing something and wants to gain the same effect from what you are missing in a different way. This works for me, hope that helps!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #6  

Thanks for the great tips! That is tremendously helpful!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 194/172/148

Height: 5'6

I was using IP supplements but have started to use the be beautiful package from GNC for biotin and collagen. Quick question- what is the dose on IP for the cal mag? I know the pot calcium is 800mg potassium and 200 calcium but need amount for the cal mag and multi vitamin. I want to get theIP required but add in a few I've been reading up on. (CLA possibly)
twolabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I just finished my bottle of Natura multivitamins today, so I'm now using Swiss Herbal Total One Women 50+ - multivitamins & minerals. Also when I use up the Natura calcium/mag, I'll switch back to the product I was using pre-IP, which I buy locally from my natural health food products store. Their Cal-Mag Combo works better than a sleeping pill for me and I have sometimes substituted it for the Natura calcium/mag before bed for just that reason. It's a gel tab and I think it hits my bloodstream faster than the Natura tablet. I have early stage macular degeneration, so I take Vitalux Plus Omega-3's to help stop it's progression - it's essential, so that looks after my Omega intake. My Natura potassium supplement will see me through another 2 months, but when it's used up I'll check into the Dr. Bernstein potassium product as a possibility .. or possibly order the Natura again through buyproteinfood.com.

I just used up the CLA product which I already had on hand, and have ordered a two month supply of Natural Factors Tonalin CLA.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/140

This is what I take:

IP's Multivitamin
IP's Cal-Mag
IP's Potassium
2 Digestive Enzymes three times a day - Swiss Brand
2 Green Tea Extract - 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch - Holista Brand
2 Anti-Oxidents - 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch - Swiss Brand
1 Acai capsule- Breakfast - Webbers Naturals
2 CLA's three times a day - Tonalin
3 Omega 3-6-9 at Supper - Jamieson - no fishy aftermath
MrsChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

I take a tsp a day of Nordic Natural Arctic Cod Liver Oil liquid Omg-3 comes in orange flavour, can't even taste the fish taste.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #11  
Restarted 3/1/2013

S/C/G: 231/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

My clinic is going to be raising the price of the supplements. Do you think switching to an alternative Cal-Mag supplement would be just fine or is there a secret to the IP Cal-Mag?
Nibblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
My clinic is going to be raising the price of the supplements. Do you think switching to an alternative Cal-Mag supplement would be just fine or is there a secret to the IP Cal-Mag?
There is nothing special in them! Get some from the drug store and try to take as close as you can to the IP supplement. Might mean you have to take a few more as I found drug store brands come in lower dose.
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #13  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

What is the purpose of the digestive enzymes? My DH lost his job right before I started, so I don't want to spend money needlessly, but if it will help the weight loss....

I'm taking the IP suppliments that were with my starter kit, and am about to run out. I have Cal / Mag that I bought right before I started so i"m gonig to switch to that one and can probably get the potassium elsewhere. I'll stick with the IP Multi - doesn't it have extra stuff we need?

I aslo take Biotin for my hair (have thin hair from lo thyroid) and Vitamin D. My mother has macular degeneration, so I might start taking the Omega 3, I dont want to inherit that!
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

My clinic says I have to buy the mandatory supps from them????
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #15  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteinGal View Post
My clinic says I have to buy the mandatory supps from them????
Mine too, I was gong to see if I can get away with only buying the multi from them.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote