Atkins - Memorial Day Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Memorial Day Challenge

globetrotter74
04-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Hello to those out there who wants to join us for our Memorial Day Challenge. We can also set a mini-goal by the end of April..

My Memorial Day Challenge is 15 pounds and mini goal for the end of April is 7 pounds..

It's good to have encouragement from others.. I love this forum as it has helped me a lot in my weight loss journey..

Thanks to you all..:D

Serenity100
04-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks Globe for opening the challenge thread. I'm in! Memorial Day is seven weeks away, so I am shooting for ten pounds by Memorial Day, with a minimum of seven. I am also going to measure my waist, hips, thighs, and upper arms. I also love coming here, and the friendship and support given each other.

globetrotter74
04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I agree Serenity measuring yourself is also a good thing as we often get so caught up with the number that when you are losing inches yor are losing weight.

I'm aiming for 2 pounds a week so I'm going to work my butt off to make it.

airomatic
04-09-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm in, I am also going to aim for 15 pounds by Memorial Day, 7 by the end of April. My work I think is going to do a biggest loser challenge so if that happens I might be upping my game a bit :)

Violet73
04-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm joining in! I'm hoping for 20 pounds by Memorial Day, but 15 would be great also :)

jansusan
04-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Im in.Start tomorrow.Brother was in hospital today. In 48 days I hope to lose 15/20 lbs.:carrot:

rho1640
04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm in - ill go for 7 by Memorial day - we have a 5 day vacation in there ;) I'd love 10 though...

mariposssa
04-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Sign me up. I'd love to see 15, but would be satisfied with 10. So, I'm gonna go with anywhere between 10 and 15 for my goal window. :^:

minoja75
04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Found it! I am in to get to 217...this ought to be fun.

Good luck to all!

aud
04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Found it--no time to post but will be back in the Wee hours for goal . . . Hi rho:hug: and ALL!:hug: Good Luck and thanks for the Challenge!:carrot:

globetrotter74
04-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm looking forward to this challenge and will work harder this time around.. we have each other for support and encouragement and that goes a long way :)

jansusan
04-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Do we just weight ourselves in the mornings and record it when there is a lost?

globetrotter74
04-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Do we just weight ourselves in the mornings and record it when there is a lost?

That would work or do what is best for you. My weight goes up and down so much that I'm going to stick with weighing myself saturday mornings as that is when it seems to more stable. I'll weigh the same after eating lunch and drinking tons of water LOL so I noticed that usually saturday mornings is when my body tends to be more stable..

good luck to everyone and even if we lose 2 pounds the point is that we lost so that is good. take measurements as well I'm going to this time around

minoja75
04-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Losing steadily...can't remember the last time I felt this good! Still have a long way to go but I think I started this journey at the perfect time because it has been an amazing thing...even on the bad days.

And like you globe this time around I plan on working harder from now on and the encouragement and support from everyone on here is priceless.

globetrotter74
04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
minoja the support on here is priceless for sure...

I'm definitely working harder and focusing on what I want and not what I don't want...

You will be do will minoja it is all in the attitude and like I said even if I don't make my goal for the end of the month a loss is a loss

Buckle
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I am there with you. I am only on day three of induction and it is not easy for me but I am running a 10k may 25th so being 15 lbs lighter will help tremendously. my start weight is 193 currently 189.4 and long term goal is 130. I will have a short term goal of 178.

aud
04-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I can't quite remember the lowest I've ever gotten in recent years on Atkins - but think it was either 221 or 223lbs, so think I'm going to go for 220 - which would be 17lbs by Mem Day - and secretly hoping for a 20lb loss. I'm at 237 this morning, which is great because Monday OffP Easter carb bloat had me up to 244! :o . . . egg salad marathon has done its wonders! lol:dizzy:

My other goal is to continue not beating myself up and maintaining my exercise regimen I've recently gotten into plus MORE H20! I'm sad to report that I continue to live on coffee and cherry crystal lite.:cool:

I'm making these for tonight (I'm nite shift)....chopping the bacon up into the cream cheese/not wrapping and using big serrano peppers:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/04/stuffed-jalapeno-appetizer-recipe.html

Also have my low carb choco-protein shake handy to sip for energy (just not hungry til like 10pm:dizzy:)

Hope all the Challengers are rockin' on - and thanks again globe for starting us up!:carrot:

airomatic
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
213.2 today this is the lowest I've been in years. Haven't fully been on plan but still losing. I will credit the metabolism pills. Going to be a busu rest of the week but will check in this weekend. Good luck everybody!

AnaBee
04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi everyone. I'm in. Though I had to look up memorial day, lol, we don't celebrate that here.

My goal is 10 pounds. This will be a real challenge for me as I've been struggling for months. I guess I'm with Aud and going to try to stop beating myself up.

aud
04-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi All and hope your brother is better jansusan? Had a great OP day plus made it to the gym for lower body weights.:carrot: Took some pretty long walks everywhere on the job, so motivated yet again by the Challenge.:)

Hi AnaB!:hug:

Worked over 11 hours tonite so off to bed . . . seeing the Dr. tomorrow so might not make it by here . . . Have a great day day shifters!:D

Serenity100
04-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Welcome AnaB! Where are you from? Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer here in the States and people start having BBQs and wearing shorts and swimsuits. So here it is sort of a milestone in trying to look good. lol

Aud, I agree those Easter eggs are good for the plan. I colored 2 dozen, and I'm the only one in the house that are eating any.:dizzy: But, since I keep on peeking at the scale, and it is slowing inching down, I am happy to eat them.

I got rid of all the cake from Easter without eating any! :carrot: After the fiasco of Christmas and probably gaining ten pounds losing weight after Easter is going to be a huge victory for me. I hope everyone else has the same results.

Keep on doing it!

Hi everyone. I'm in. Though I had to look up memorial day, lol, we don't celebrate that here.

My goal is 10 pounds. This will be a real challenge for me as I've been struggling for months. I guess I'm with Aud and going to try to stop beating myself up.

minoja75
04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
23 more pounds to go til memorial day...

globetrotter74
04-12-2012, 03:51 PM
I am there with you. I am only on day three of induction and it is not easy for me but I am running a 10k may 25th so being 15 lbs lighter will help tremendously. my start weight is 193 currently 189.4 and long term goal is 130. I will have a short term goal of 178.

Wow I'm impressed that you are running a 10k..but induction will get easier believe me.. atkins is great and you will lose weight..hang in there the results are well worth it

globetrotter74
04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
23 more pounds to go til memorial day...

you can do it minoja :carrot:

globetrotter74
04-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Good that you got rid of the cake serenity..

Yes Ana where are you located? Yes memorial day is the when you can't hide the parts you don't want people to see but I must say I've never liked shorts I'm more of a mxi dress gal..

Aud I didn't boil eggs for easter but egss salad sounds good right about now..

aud
04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
10k is an awesome goal...I mapped out (www.mapmyrun.com) a 5k from my front porch that I'm doing on days off, primarily on my bike now, cuz my knees are giving me probs at this weight/walking it.

I'm the only one eating the Easter eggs too.:o

Peppers were fab last nite, and like the egg salad, so filling and fulfilling lol.

Just realized by logging in here that I had virtually no plain water yesterday:^: . . . so just drank two big glasses while I read along here. So good to have a place to come thats supportive AND reminds me of the goal I'd already forgotten even tho' it was just made frickin' YESTERDAY for petes sake!:dizzy:

The stop beating myself up goal is the most important I think . . that cycle and style of thinking has got me where I am today here @ age 51, still thinking carb bingeing is some kind of comfort.:( We can do it anaB:hug: & All who suffer from this!

I hope . . . lol!:D

I'm withya doing induction buckle....I'm one of those that feel amazing on induction (well really atkins in general) . . . plan to stick to as close to induction as I can get untill under 200, then I'll reevaluate.

DH made some kind of chicken zucchini dish..looks and smells fab...the other thing I'm doing differently is eating most of my food at the end of the shift or part of it when I get home - right before bed. This flies in the face of what we learn NOT to do, but gotta tellya its working for me, because most of my OffP'ness was happening with late nite munch monster . . . this allowing myself to have a late nite feed...with yummy lc meals has really kept the monster quiet!:carrot:

Down 2 more bloat lbs . . . keep on keeping on All!

minoja75
04-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks globe! I am determined to stick to plan...finally seeing some steady results!

jansusan
04-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Thank you aud,my brothers` out now and on a long road to recovery.
Fell off the wagon tonight at work... stressed about son and g`baby moving to his own apartment...but I know its the way of life. Cant seemed to keep my mind on this diet,but tomorrows a new day,try try again...lol

jansusan
04-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Ive notice though ,that if I dont have my food prepared for work or at home,I tend to grab at whatevers closest.Fast food on the way to work or vending machines at work on break.GOT to get to the store!!!!

Serenity100
04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, preparing and purchasing all the food we need is the hardest part. We just have to learn a "different" way of eating. It is not too bad once we get the hang of it. What really gets me mad is when someone in the house eats my special food and then doesn't tell me. When I go to eat it, its not there.:mad:

The good news is that I added blueberries, strawberries and low carb yogurt into my diet over the weeks and I am still losing! I am able to cut out the cheese. Look for the diabetic Dannon yogurt it comes in those packs of four. 3 carbs per 7 oz. I made myself this huge concoction of sf jello, strawberries, and the yogurt. I was in heaven.:D (But of course you need to add the foods the right way when you start OWL.)

Ive notice though ,that if I dont have my food prepared for work or at home,I tend to grab at whatevers closest.Fast food on the way to work or vending machines at work on break.GOT to get to the store!!!!

rho1640
04-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I posted this in the other forum but to show you how bad I feel I'm just copying and pasting here

Hi all - just checking in - had my best ever day Monday then by Monday afternoon was sick sick sick (guess it wasn't just a reaction to the smoke from the brush fires) - the worst sore throat ever followed by coughing my lungs out and gurgling.... Haven't stepped on the scale since - and worse yet gave in yesterday and had a Big Mac - hubs was getting ready for a weekend trip and it was fast and easy and would fill up the empty from not eating all day. Yesterday I had a few minutes of feeling better then feeling really crummy - and coughing so hard I threw up...

I haven't done any walking in place and even though I need more water I havent been drinking as much as usual --- so all in all I'm scared to even look at the scale as I walk by it ...

I'm so disappointed in myself it was the first Off plan meal since last Year..... Food delivery today and will make Chinese Chicken Soup to have over the weekend.

Serenity100
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Rho, take care of yourself. I live on LI also, though western LI. Don't beat yourself up over the Big Mac, you might not have gained any thing, and if you did, it is probably just water weight from the bread that your body is not used to. I hope it rains out there soon. We have had no rain here all week even though they keep on forecasting it.

airomatic
04-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Jansusan: I have the same problem, I did really well when I was making the time to prep salads and other stuff but if I don't have it prepped it's a lot easier to grab something on the way to work, usually fast food (though I try and get a low carb burger or salad)
Rho: don't beat yourself up, slip ups happen and after being sick it is easiest and at least for me more sane to eat something quick even if it isn't OP. Just drink lots of water, that helps me flush it out quicker.
I started taking Wellbutrin a couple of weeks ago for my anxiety and upped my dose this week and suddenly I haven't been hungry, I realized today that is most likely the reason for it. Now that I know I am going to try to be more on top of my eating and working on eating multiple small meals a day.

aud
04-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi All and think I'm getting some steady results too mino . . . 233 today . . . amazing what staying OP will do for the scale lol . . . my DD did my measurements the other day and now I can't find where she wrote them down dangit . . . hope this weight lifting doesnt bulk me up toooo much? LOL!:dizzy: Think I'll re-measure at the end of the Challenge?

We really are surrounded by carbs . . . and not the "good" kind . . . I constantly have to adjust my mind set that I'm really not being "deprived" of anything GOOD. Getting better at it but its of course, a struggle. Hope you're not beating yourself up about that big mac rho? Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things and you've accomplished so much already . . . hope you're better soon!

Gonna look for that yogurt serenity . . . used to love Blue Bunny low carb but getting harder and harder to find stuff like that. DID find the LC sweet relish and pickles for all the egg salad I ate... did you ever make any globe? . . . think "I'm good" til next Easter.:o

Totally forgot I wanted to check out the metabolism pills air0...can you post the name of them again . . . I remember talking about them in the Easter thread.

I think exhaustion is my #1 daily enemy, but stress and hospitals are right up there janS . . . hope things calm down for you on that front - hard to battle with all that going on - but you can do it!:hug:

aud
04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
We must've posted at the same time air-:D . . . not trying to be a Thread hog here, but just want to share that I have clinical depression (like Mom, Gram and 1 sister) and have battled it since late puberty . . . the ONE AND ONLY drug that ever helped me was Wellbutrin! I had energy and optimism and clarity . . . with no side effects EXCEPT:

I have NO allergies (knock on wood) . . . never have . . . used to rub poison ivy leaves on my legs and arms on dares as a kid . . . I can snort pollen, dust, cig smoke . . . well you get the idea . . . so yeah, I'm loving Wellbutrin, but a couple of months (I think 4) into taking it, I started feeling hot/flushed . . looked in the mirror and had these crazy hives creeping up my throat/neck/ears.:mad: Never proven Wellbutrin, but taken off of it as a precaution and they vanished.

FForward about 6 years, and a variety of failed meds . . . my doc did a bunch of research and thought that maybe the hive thing was an allergy to the coating on the pill so he ordered a "plain" form of it and equipped me with an epi-shot thing . . . this time it was only 3 days until the hives came . . . I'm just so furious at my body for this cruel joke--whatever is in that stuff is definitely the chemical my brain is missing . . . so its the ONLY substance that causes an allergic reaction in my allergy-free life?

Yeah thanks Mother Nature!:mad::devil:

The doc researched further to find that Wellbutrin is the ONLY anti-depressant that works on those certain brain neurons/deficiency/whatev . . . the closest thing he can find to it is some kind of ADD med that may work since I don't have ADD . . . but haven't really got on board with trying it yet. Hope you have great success taking it air0 . . . and am sooo jealous lol!

Sorry folks - din't mean to write a novel:o . . . just re-did my measurements (gave up on finding those from a week ago) . . . not sure if we did them right but guess the most important thing is to do the same place each time?

AnaBee
04-14-2012, 04:44 AM
This thread moves fast - I'll try to check in more often. Hi everyone!

Aw Rho, don't beat yourself up. You haven't eaten much so calories wise you won't gain, might just retain a bit of water. You'll get right back on track. You've been so succesful and learning how to deal with a slip is good practice (as Aud I'm sure will agree with me!)

Serenity, I'm in Australia. I'm sort of familar with Memorial Day (there was an episode of the West Wing with that title that was set in May!) but I get really hazy on when in May it is ;). Here the weather is still really nice but it's getting dark earlier and in general it feels like winter is on the way. Which is cool as it gives me lots of time before beach time again.

I'm back on strict induction and FINALLY feeling good about it again. I was hovering in the 184s and now I'm back down to 179.8 this morning, oh, joy at seeing that 7 again. I swear to god, I've been through the 180s and the 170s so many times, this is the last time!

Serenity100
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Happy Saturday!

I love the fact that we have buddies in not only North America, but Europe and Australia also. The power of the 'net.:grouphug: I was never that good with geography/climate (product of the NYC school system;), but I'm guessing that our May is the same as Australia's November (six months opposite).

Aud mentioned that we are surrounded by carbs. Yes, we are, and I have started reading the nutrition labels to look at carbs, and OMG:eek:, the carb content in what you would think is "healthy", is ridiculous. For instance, I was thinking maybe I can have some vegetarian frozen meals on hand for an emergency. I looked at the lowfat broccoli souffle, it listed 42g of carbs. Hellooo, that is more than my daily allowance. Oh well. Processed foods are not good for you anyhow. lol

Talk to you tomorrow. Stay 100% and keep on doing it!

StephanieM
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey guys :) I'm back again!

We ended up going on a spur of the moment trip down to visit my family as my husband didn't have work for 2 weeks. We stayed with my mom and I figured even though I couldn't do Atkins while there I would just try to eat as best as I could. Well my mom basically had no food in the house! She left us a bunch of cupcakes and cookies she baked, and a plate full of easter chocolate and chocolate bars to eat. We ended up eating out a lot because of this.

Before the trip I got to my lowest weight this year, 181.8. I went back on plan after Easter and this time I was up to 187.8! I've been back on plan for a few days and I'm down to185.4 so that isn't so bad :) I'd like to be in the 170's by the end of April. No more breaks, no more cheating, I'm going all the way!

I looked up Memorial day and see it is May 28th. I'll set a goal of 175 for then, aiming low since my weight loss will slow at some point.

Glad to see some familiar faces and some new ones :) My husband is going out of town for 6 weeks so I'll be taking care of house and baby alone, but I'll try to check in more often!

globetrotter74
04-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Happy Saturday!

I love the fact that we have buddies in not only North America, but Europe and Australia also. The power of the 'net.:grouphug: I was never that good with geography/climate (product of the NYC school system;), but I'm guessing that our May is the same as Australia's November (six months opposite).

Aud mentioned that we are surrounded by carbs. Yes, we are, and I have started reading the nutrition labels to look at carbs, and OMG:eek:, the carb content in what you would think is "healthy", is ridiculous. For instance, I was thinking maybe I can have some vegetarian frozen meals on hand for an emergency. I looked at the lowfat broccoli souffle, it listed 42g of carbs. Hellooo, that is more than my daily allowance. Oh well. Processed foods are not good for you anyhow. lol

Talk to you tomorrow. Stay 100% and keep on doing it!

LOL @ Serenity OMG is right. I stop looking at vegetarian meals awhile back just for that reason they often have a lot of carbs in them..low fat foods are often the same, low calories but high in carbs..

globetrotter74
04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey guys :) I'm back again!

We ended up going on a spur of the moment trip down to visit my family as my husband didn't have work for 2 weeks. We stayed with my mom and I figured even though I couldn't do Atkins while there I would just try to eat as best as I could. Well my mom basically had no food in the house! She left us a bunch of cupcakes and cookies she baked, and a plate full of easter chocolate and chocolate bars to eat. We ended up eating out a lot because of this.

Before the trip I got to my lowest weight this year, 181.8. I went back on plan after Easter and this time I was up to 187.8! I've been back on plan for a few days and I'm down to185.4 so that isn't so bad :) I'd like to be in the 170's by the end of April. No more breaks, no more cheating, I'm going all the way!

I looked up Memorial day and see it is May 28th. I'll set a goal of 175 for then, aiming low since my weight loss will slow at some point.

Glad to see some familiar faces and some new ones :) My husband is going out of town for 6 weeks so I'll be taking care of house and baby alone, but I'll try to check in more often!

heyy step welcome back:hug: for sure you didn't gain 7 pounds, that is definitely water etc. from the excess carbs.. your goal seems attainable and like I posted earlier even if I lose 2 pounds a loss is a loss in my book..

globetrotter74
04-14-2012, 05:03 PM
This thread moves fast - I'll try to check in more often. Hi everyone!

Aw Rho, don't beat yourself up. You haven't eaten much so calories wise you won't gain, might just retain a bit of water. You'll get right back on track. You've been so succesful and learning how to deal with a slip is good practice (as Aud I'm sure will agree with me!)

Serenity, I'm in Australia. I'm sort of familar with Memorial Day (there was an episode of the West Wing with that title that was set in May!) but I get really hazy on when in May it is ;). Here the weather is still really nice but it's getting dark earlier and in general it feels like winter is on the way. Which is cool as it gives me lots of time before beach time again.

I'm back on strict induction and FINALLY feeling good about it again. I was hovering in the 184s and now I'm back down to 179.8 this morning, oh, joy at seeing that 7 again. I swear to god, I've been through the 180s and the 170s so many times, this is the last time!

congrats for getting back in the 170s :carrot: you are doing good just keep on going..

globetrotter74
04-14-2012, 05:06 PM
I posted this in the other forum but to show you how bad I feel I'm just copying and pasting here

Hi all - just checking in - had my best ever day Monday then by Monday afternoon was sick sick sick (guess it wasn't just a reaction to the smoke from the brush fires) - the worst sore throat ever followed by coughing my lungs out and gurgling.... Haven't stepped on the scale since - and worse yet gave in yesterday and had a Big Mac - hubs was getting ready for a weekend trip and it was fast and easy and would fill up the empty from not eating all day. Yesterday I had a few minutes of feeling better then feeling really crummy - and coughing so hard I threw up...

I haven't done any walking in place and even though I need more water I havent been drinking as much as usual --- so all in all I'm scared to even look at the scale as I walk by it ...

I'm so disappointed in myself it was the first Off plan meal since last Year..... Food delivery today and will make Chinese Chicken Soup to have over the weekend.

Aww rho don't beat yourself up. I've been there a few weeks back when I ate some pringles :D and the sad thing was they wasn't even that great and made my stomach hurt.. I bounced back and you can too. Even if you gain a few pounds you know there is no way you put on weight unless you ate over 3500 calories and didn't move or do anything.. just start back over like you did and you'll be fine. the key is starting back and not staying off plan for too long..

StephanieM
04-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Hey globetrotter!

Yeah, I think it is mostly water weight, maybe a little real weight too though. I ended up eating a fair amount of chocolate since my mom thought it was appropriate to give a 3 month old an Easter basket full of it. My husband has taken the chocolate away to eat himself so I'm not tempted anymore. 2 and a half lbs since Tuesday tells me this is mostly water weight.

Before I made my goals too large and I think making something more attainable will keep me realistic and I'll feel prouder about myself if I'm not lowering it later on.

globetrotter74
04-14-2012, 07:00 PM
LOL Step not sure what your mom was thinking as well because a 3 month old has no use for chocolate LOL is this her first grandbaby?

I agree in choosing a goal attainable, then if you lose more that is a plus..

definitely water like you said unless you did eat over 3500 per day without doing nothing but sitting down..

aud
04-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Hurrah for new numbers anaB, I love when I reach a set!:carrot: Our returning steph:hug: is right behind you! I havent broke the 230 barrier in a long while, can't wait/weight :dizzy: to see that 229! One of my first memories is visiting cemeteries with my Gram and her sister for "Decoration Day" . . . they never converted to what is now called Memorial Day weekend . . . which has become basically a 3 day weekend to kick off summer with barbq's etc and little to do with graves and remembrances.

(Brought to you by America's Unions:D)

I suck at geography serenity (product of rural MO otherwise good school system)...but in the 70's there was this push for "Social Sciences" and geography went out the window . . . I tried to catch up in college, but world maps just don't compute in my brain . . . which is a long way of saying I love the internet and 3fc posters from around the country and around the world! Just awesome and interesting to me.:)

(I love emoticons too;))

"Recovering" from slip ups has been my best accomplishment since returning to 3fc/atkins/these forum challenges Jan . . . the support and understanding here is just phenomenal and hope I can help all of you just as much!:hug: Was hoping to see rho here and hope she's busy having fun, not still sick.

I've got quite a few atkins staples/groceries on hand . . . but I somehow keep forgetting to have a bowl of tuna salad in the fridge (and really to eat fish in general) . . . I DID get some more of those "Clouds" made up and in the freezer - so good to have on hand on weekends - knowing I won't be "deprived" while everyone else has ice cream.

PS: FINALLY got back on the bike today - thunderstorms all morning - then gorgeous high 60's spring afternoon - trail ride with both DD's . . . we made it the whole 6 miles . . . and then add the 6 hilly blocks to the river and back. They're off to see "American Reunion" now . . . I was going with them if we could see "Cabin in the Woods" but was already sold out(????)

Weight was the same today . . . waiting for a Whooooosh . . .

ETA: CLOUDS recipe: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_cheese_clouds.html

Serenity100
04-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Happy Sunday! Lost 2.5 lbs this week. :carrot: Made it to onderland. 198.5. Even though I am thrilled with the loss, I am just relieved, not joyful about getting out of the 200's. Never want to see that number again.:eek: Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would lose on just a regular basis. It proves to me that low carbing is the way to go, and the reason why I got frustrated and quit other plans was because even though I was sticking to the plan, I was eating too many carbs.

Keep on doing it!

rho1640
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi all - just a quick check in ... Still sick as can be ... If I could get more than 15 minutes of sleep at a time before coughing - if I'm not dramatically better by tomorrow I'm going to try to get in to see the doctor and I won't even care that the only cough meds that work for me is probably full of sugar - its also one that stops the cough and makes me sleep.

I've made up for the slip because I've been too sick to care and thank God I got a rotisserie chicken thinking I would make the Chinese chicken soup from Linda's site because even though I haven't made it yet I've been cutting a piece off and eating it. I think I have 10 lbs of mucous in me though.. How the heck does the body just keep making it.

Serenity us LI'ers have to stick together ;) and congrats on onederland!! :carrot:

Going to jump in a hot shower for as long as I can stand up...

StephanieM
04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Hope you feel better soon Rho! I remember when I was sick and it took forever to get better. And you can't really take most medicines because they have so much sugar in them (at least the good ones do ;) )

184.8, down another half lb :) Must have gained a ton of water weight! That's 3 lbs down in 6 days, still another 3 to go to get back to my lowest weight his year which was 181.8.

airomatic
04-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Good job to those with losses :)
Aud: The pills are life extension 7-keto dhea metabolite. Wellbutrin is the only one that's worked for me too, I've tried different meds but I get side effects from them. That's crazy that you are allergic to it, that's the scary thing about meds it's hard to tell what's causing the reaction because of how much stuff goes in them. And thanks for reposting the clouds recipe, I will somehow find time to make them this week, I think having something sweet on hand will help me stick to plan. Seems like that's my biggest derailer as of late.
212.2 today, met my Easter goal weight, only a week late not too bad :)

StephanieM
04-16-2012, 12:25 PM
184.2 :) Went over to the in laws for the day yesterday, I brought my own lunch to eat since I want to stay on plan, and had a bunless hot dog and hamburger for dinner with cheese, a bit of cauliflower, a bit of corn and some onions. I kept the bad stuff in moderation, I'm pretty proud of myself :)

The hard thing is my husband is away for 2 weeks and left this morning. It's gonna be hard taking care of my daughter and myself and keeping the house up. I'll figure it all out though :)

aud
04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
That is so GREAT serenity and what an accomplishment!:carrot: I am so happy for you and also insanely jealous!:dizzy: It seems like forever since I've been under 200 . . . can't wait . . . I'm down again today tho' and nu numbers are within reach . . . so that's my goal for the week: nu numbers and down as far into them as Induction will take me.

Tx for re-posting the metabolism info air0 (and reading my Wellbutrin novel lol) - still no side effects from them, right? I'm going to check them out this weekend - you get them at a health food store? I decided to give the ADD medication a try and have to say, I'm feeling good on it. I'm prone to anxiety attacks and with a name like "dextro-amp" I thought for sure those puppies would induce one! (I can't even take "cold" pills because of that) Anyhoo, they're low dose and I did fine with them over the weekend - even drinking coffee with them, so plan on continuing them this week at work.

When I first made the Clouds I ate too many of them (as Linda says on her LC site - they are "addictive.") but now it's more a matter of "knowing" they are there in the freezer is enough . . . I know, I know the mind games I have to play with myself . . . I've made another mental agreement with myself lol . . . if I am going to overeat, I'm going to overeat things OP. Just like having the Clouds on hand, this strangely has kept me from overeating . . . ?!:dizzy:

I freeze them for about an hour still on the cookie sheet (bulky) then put them in a gallon bag for easier storage. Was up all nite and decided to use up all the cream cheese with Linda's cheesecake . . . our store has been out of the Torano vanilla so used their "white chocolate" . . . tweeked further by adding GFoods SF Choco Coffee and a scoop of Hersheys Cocoa . . . it came out so brown-choco-ey lol . . had a smidge and was great! I've cut it up in tiny squares and am freezing those as well.

Good job at the in-laws steph and hang in there with your darling baby! And rho, hope you are better soon and have seen the Doc...hate those racking coughs!:(

I'm off to the nite shift . . . cya in the Wee!

aud
04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
The Cheesecake I tweeked: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheesecake_squares.html

Serenity100
04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
:wave:Hi everyone! Sounds as if everyone is getting their act together. I have to tell you that this plan is wonderful for me, because I just eat my regular food, and am rarely hungry.

Aud, that cheesecake recipe looks divine. I would need to make sure someone was around to take it away after I cut my piece because I can't trust myself for only taking one piece and not eating the entire thing. lol

I'm trying not to obsess over each thing I eat. If it is on the "good" list, I eat it, if it is on the forbidden list, I don't. I find I need to be 100% OP or the weight does not come off of me.

Keep on doing it.

globetrotter74
04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Hiya Serenity I'm glad you have found something that works for you. Everyone is not the same and what one person does may not be good for another. I didn't exercise today as I was running around a lot so I did burn something LOL..

I'm definitely focusing on Memorial Day and hoping to have reached my goal or be pretty close to it..

rho1640
04-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Went to the doctor and got 2 shots and pills to take - I'm almost 59 you would think I would realize that every bad cold or flu ends up turning into major bronchitis - I do know it I just am eternally optimistic and think I feel a tiny bit better lol. So I gave in to my poor me and had tow carny meals and they didn't even taste that good so imwill remember that next time ... Hopefully tomorrow I will feel enough better to make chicken soup - now trying to keep hubs from getting this before we go away next week.

Everyone is doing great .. I'm back on tomorrow .. I'm not going to weigh till I finish the meds though.

I still need to make the clouds - I did one and just ate it with a teeny tiny spoon without freezing (I'm sure my measurements were off but I needed something sweet that night and it helped I cant imagine how much help the actual recipe will be :o

Have had a few periods when I needed a little help and Wellbutrin was the best of what they tried for me also ... So sorry you developed an allergy to it.

Allergies suck - my sun allergy popped up in my 40's and a friends grandson can't eat anything with 4 legs - this is an allergy that happens rarely to people who have had Lymes - can you imagine!!

selway
04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Just started Induction today! I have been stalking these boards for a while and am happy to get started. I have been fairly successful on another diet plan, but stalled and switched to Atkins. I hope to lose 18 pounds by Memorial Day! I know that might sound ambitous, but I will work REALLY hard to make that happen. I turn 40 that week and am determined to be under 200 lbs by then.

minoja75
04-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome Selway! Good luck to you!

globetrotter74
04-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Just started Induction today! I have been stalking these boards for a while and am happy to get started. I have been fairly successful on another diet plan, but stalled and switched to Atkins. I hope to lose 18 pounds by Memorial Day! I know that might sound ambitous, but I will work REALLY hard to make that happen. I turn 40 that week and am determined to be under 200 lbs by then.

Hi selway and welcome.. anything is possible and just work hard like you said and try and lose as much as you can...

This forum is very friendly and helpful.. Has helped me a lot..

StephanieM
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm glad there are so many of us here :) When I first came back to these boards it was just rho and aud and maybe one other person. I love that the boards are filling up again!

I woke up at 4 am because of the baby and I jumped on the scale and saw 183.2! It felt amazing, I fed her and we ended up being able to sleep until 8:30. I decided to weigh again to see if it was real and it said 183.8 which is still great :) This means that after a week of being on Atkins again (started last Tuesday) I have lost 4 lbs :)

When I came to this thread I was at 185.4 I believe so I'm almost 2 lbs down for memorial day challenge. Whee!

Went to in laws last night, they had me over for dinner to help out since I'm alone. They made me a salad, chicken, and hard boiled eggs :) How nice is that? They are having me over for pork chops with veggies on Wednesday and said I could spend the night with the baby on the weekend if I'm lonely. It's nice to have people close by since I don't drive. My husband left me his truck for emergencies and though I'm pretty confident in my driving skills, I only have my learners and I don't think he'd be too happy if I took it for a spin :P

globetrotter74
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
:lol: Step no don't take the truck out for a spin..

congrats on the 2 lb loss that is great.. it is good that your in-laws are being supportive of the fact that you are alone and also cooking to suit atkins..

I'm not going to weigh myself until the weekend.. my scale is broken the true reason :lol: but also it makes me focus on not just the scale but working as hard as I can. I worked out for 20 mins as I had a lot of other things to do bt 20 mins is good and plus I'm always running around town etc..

aud
04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Never too late and Welcome selway!:hug: If any "diet" can do 16lbs, its def Atkins . . . and I've been on them ALL!:o I'm on Induction too (for the forseeable future.)

My Mom developed an allergy to "sulpha drugs" in her 50's rho . . . one Dr. thought that the Wellbutrin allergy is a pre-cursor to me developing the same allergy . . . one ingredient in it is some kind of cousin to sulpha . . . so I have to avoid those kinds of anti-biotics now too. Mom's sister led an alllergy free life too until her 60's - then TOMATOES got her. . . beyond weird.:dizzy:

Things are beyond stressful in the 'Paud household . . . just. beyond. I'm determined to roll with it and treat myself WELL throughout this period . . . I'm reclaiming my old mantra of "This Too Shall Pass" . . . and being mindful that bread and noodles are not likely to help the situation!;)

Thanks for being here All . . . it really helps.

selway
04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you for all of the welcome wishes!

Serenity100
04-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Checking In. I love reading everyone's posts. :D Keeps me going.

Welcome Selway! If you do induction by the book, you are going to have a great loss.

Steph, it is great that you have supportive family. It makes a huge difference.

Globe, you seem really determined, I think you are going to make it.

Aud, noodles never solved anything. But alcohol sometimes does. LOL. Just kidding. sort of.;) I haven't had any alcohol even though we are allowed on OWL.

Rho, feel better.

Anybody I missed, Keep on doing it.:)

AnaBee
04-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Rho, sorry you're sick :-( I had to take sugary cough syrup and lozenges over the last few weeks while I was sick but as soon as I stopped and went back to induction I got into ketosis pretty quick so I think you'll be ok too. I don't know about you but I think they taste icky so I was glad to be able to give them up again. They thought I had whooping cough!

I'm glad there are so many of us here When I first came back to these boards it was just rho and aud and maybe one other person. I love that the boards are filling up again!

meeeeeeeeee! I totally agree Steph, it's great being a bigger group though it moves fast now, if I miss a day we've definitely moved on a few pages.

Aud, noodles never solved anything. But alcohol sometimes does. LOL. Just kidding. sort of.

This made me laugh out loud.

Back in induction since last week and I've lost 6.5 pounds!! 177.1 this morning, my lowest in ages. I need to update my ticker. Plus I feel really good and I love that ketosis appetite suppression feeling.

StephanieM
04-17-2012, 07:45 PM
globetrotter, I think they just got tired of me bringing my own food! They kept insisting I have what they made and I kept explaining why I couldn't. Now they ask before they cook. I tell them not to worry about me and I'll bring something but they want to help out too :)

My father in law is funny, he's like 'so... you can't have pasta right?' Geez! :P haha.

Anabee! That's really good! We've both had a good week back on induction, that's so awesome :)

I know what you mean about thte appetite suppression, I could probably go to bed without dinner most nights but I make sure to eat so I can get my calories and more carbs in. If I'm not careful I undereat, that's why I weigh and write down everything.

rho1640
04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Today I made a big pot of chicken soup - legs and thighs, some broth to speed it up mushrooms, a little onion, carrot slivers, celery, a little sherry and garlic - - hubs is sick too so we will be eating on that for a few days at least he is set to go to the doctor on Friday. Doctor said to take Claritin D between now and then for him - between that and chicken soup we will keep him going. At least he is sleeping good once he gets down wish I could say the same lol

glad it turned out because I sure didn't feel like making it :dizzy: half hour till I take my antibiotic - ugh... But I do feel a little better today so it's worth the 6 days of ugh ..

I agree it is so great to have it be so active here - and welcome to new folks :D you will do great!

Stephan its so great your in- laws are trying so hard for you - remember you can have zucchini julienned and sauted in garlic and olive oil or butter as a pasta base if they want to make something for you ... I love it that way. I've done LC meatballs and used a sauce that was 4 carbs for a 1/4 cup and had a wonderful spaghetti dinner.

Aud do you knit or crochet - I knit a bit and I find it is a great thing for stress - I do toe up socks or a simple shawl all in garter stitch and the repetitive and meditative quality of it are great when you are feeling stress. It's enough to occupy your mind but not too much to stress you out more if that makes sense. My other great stress reduction is shooting - I know I know if you don't shoot you don't understand that you are so focused on what you are doing that everything else goes out the window for awhile.

AnaBee I got sugarfree cough drops so that helps a bit .. Thanks I can't wait to feel good enough to look forward to planning and cooking again.

Everyone keep up the great work.

AnaBee
04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Steph, I'm so glad to be back on proper induction and I'm glad you are too - all these months I've been reading your weight loss and wondering why I couldn't but really, I wasn't being honest with myself about what I was actually eating.

I hear you on having to remind yourself to eat, I've been careful about making sure my calories are up. I've solved my dairy dilemma by cutting one of those cream cheese blocks in half (it's a little over 4 ounces each) and I can have that half however I like during the day. I often have half for breakfast and the rest as a snack after dinner. It's working great as it keeps it portion controlled but it's flexible. I'm going to work on cutting it into 3rds (that's what I'm on today)

So sorry to hear you're both sick now rho! The soup sounds yummy though and will keep you guys going and you on track. I hope you both get better really soon.

aud
04-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Off early tonight - have to get up at 6am and drive into "the city" for some stresfull unpleasantness (know that's vague, and also an understatement, but don't want to turn this thread into Dear Abby:dizzy:) Stayed OP today - have a tendency to UNDEREAT (like you talk about steph) when OP & during stress - just not hungry - but then binge eat. My new plan is working - which is eating my usual supper right before bed. It's nuts, I know, but has been keeping me from carb-loading. Tonight I had hot roast beef with spinach that I sprinkled just a bit of feta cheese on - YUM!

I should be home early afternoon, and if I get a nap I will try to go in for the nite shift. Just will see how it goes . .. taking a choco-protein shake for morning madness . . . determined to have a salad if I end up eating lunch out. I know this all sounds obsessive, but trying so hard to be aware of what I've done for so long and determined to change this UP!

Talk to you all later - tx for listening!

3Boys4Me
04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
HI! I would like to join. I actually started Atkins on the day you started the challenge but didn't find this group until yesterday.

Memorial Day is my first mini event goal date. We go to an annual family picnic and would like to feel more self confident.

KIindly,
Melanie

rho1640
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Aud - sending good thoughts you way to get thru the day and staying with your plan. You can do it!

Welcome Melanie - you will do great and it makes it so much easier to be working towards a goal with others who are doing the same thing.

Steph - would it help if you printed out a list of Atkins approved foods to give to your in-laws .. Do the OWL list and they will see that you can eat tons of great foods and it will help them with ideas -- I think most people are surprised when they see the list of veggies we can have because they think it is all meat all the time.

I found that putting mushrooms in the chicken soup makes it so we don't miss the noodles - I think it just gives it a mouth texture similar to noodles so you don't think about them not being there.

AnaBee. That is a great idea with the cream cheese - these are the tips I love hearing -

selway
04-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Wow, great to hear that Induction is going well for all of you! Today is my second day and I am not going to get on the scale until day 7. I am terribly addicted to the scale and a gain can impact my whole day (irrational I know, but true).

Feel better all of you that are under the weather!

Welcome Melanie!

gocrissygo
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
So this is my first post, first challenge. Of course - I am with the millions that have struggled to lose weight & keep it off my entire life. I am trying a new approach - eat healthy, exercise, feel better, fingers-crossed-that-I-will-lose weight approach. Not counting calories for the first time in my life.

Anyway - to the challenge. Goal is to lose 7 pounds in 7 weeks!

selway
04-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Gocrissygo,

You can do it!

Serenity100
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Welcome Melanie and Chrissie! We can do it!

About the undereatting -- on the other Atkins BB I read that if you are on OWL don't worry if you under eat, because since you are not supposed to be counting calories, the ketosis cuts your appetite, so you might eat 1,000 cals one day and 2,000 cals the next and it will all even out. I find that if I stay OP with the carbs, everything is easy to do. But as noted, I have to watch the cheese too.

Going to the store to stock up on my staples. If I run out I turn into a lunatic :dizzy: The other day I knew I had my 1 cup of strawberries left, that I was going to eat for my snack after my walk. Went I went to eat them, all that was left was three puny ones. grrrrrr.

Keep on doing it.

StephanieM
04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
183.0! Whoo hoo! I keep mentally preparing myself for the stall that has to happen at some point, but this is my 9th day back on and I'm still heading straight down. 1.2 lbs to get back to my lowest weight that I have seen this year. Going to the in laws for dinner again, they have also offered to have me stay over on the weekend so I'm not alone with the baby all the time. I'm thinking it would be hard to stay on plan while staying there unless I bring all my food. I'm going to ask MIL if she will just take Sloane Friday night. That way I can just have a quiet night and a break. Maybe I'll have a whiskey and diet coke as a treat for doing so well ;) Those don't seem to stall me.

Anabee, it's important to be honest with yourself! I actually charted my weight each day and you could see where it would spike it up it was always the weekends when I would eat at the in laws. I write everything down and if I'm done for the day but end up having something extra, I mention it in my notes the next day.

Rho, my MIL actually has the book! Her sisters lost a ton of weight on it and one has kept it off for years now, she is absolutely tiny! My MIL isn't big at all but she wants to lose weight as she has always been pretty petite and with age she's finding it harder to keep it off.

aud
04-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Tx rho--all went as well as these things can go--overwhelming relief to be over, and have stayed OP. I credit posting here as the #1 reason--it's really making me aware of how I've handled similar things over the last few years (binge eating carbs) and breaking that cycle.

Welcome and good luck to those joining us!:carrot: We're tentatively planning a driving vacay 2nd week of July and I hope to be way smaller by then - good luck on the fam event, 3boys. One of my fave things about atkins is the NOT counting calories and the delicious, rich and fulfilling foods - even on Induction, gochrissy. Count me in on getting all around more healthy - have added bike rides and weight lifting to my life in the last few months.

I've been scale obsessed in my life...this time I am weighing daily just to continue being aware, not to punish myself. And not concerned about the weight loss aspect of the undereating serenity...it's more that I've noticed that if I skipped eating (because I'm actually just not hungry/too busy) it always ended badly:dizzy: . . . having a lil something 4-6 hours (whether I need it or not lol) I think is keeping the binge-monster away*so far*

Took a power nap and now my nite shift body is feeling upside down - 1 more cup of coffee and I'm heading n2 the plant (just a bit late.) Will check back on Everyone in the Wee Hours - hope everyone is having a great OP day/nite (whatever it is where you are:D)

airomatic
04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Just a quick check-in. My schedule is crazy this term so I rarely have free time to spare. It also means grabbing food when I have time so not always staying OP. I will do a longer post this weekend
Aux I actually ordered the pills off Amazon I think it may be cheaper than a health food store but I haven't had a chance to compare prices.

AnaBee
04-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Welcome new peeps! It's never too late :-)

Aud, I hear you on the undereating. I have to keep an eye on that. One thing that's good though is that you can easily top up the calories with a bit more butter, without drastically changing the volume of food. I think that's where low calorie goes really wrong, either small portions are super low calorie (which isn't sustainable) or else there's a focus on large volumes of low calorie food which then gets you used to larger meals (that was always my problem). I like to keep my meals pretty similar and top up calories with fat, where needed. I'm hoping it'll better teach me portion control.

Yay Steph! It's so awesome seeing it go down down. Mine has leveled out again after big losses earlier in the week and it's a little sad not seeing the daily change, even if I know it's still a great loss over all this week.

rho1640
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Well I'm probably crazy from lack of sleep and my brain is rattled from coughing so much but I just made my challenge a little harder ... Maybe it will help me on our little trip eating out knowing I have this to meet. :o:dizzy:

3Boys4Me
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I am scale obsessed as well. I used to let it dictate how I felt about myself so I had to stop. I am back to being obsessed, but I don't let it affect my moods. I changed it up by weighing at night. Obviously we are heavier at night but I can still see the #'s go up or down but mentally I know I will way less when I do my weekly morning weigh in. I finally broke through to the 190s for my morning weight...my real goal is to break into the 190s at the night weigh in.

rho1640
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
So I am so glad I weighed this morning - go to the doctor for a sleeping pill renewal and end up with that and prednisone (6 today 5 tomorrow 4 the next etc till gone) and cough meds with codeine - somehow I think that will screw with my losses for the next little bit... :devil::mad:

And it's always fun to have something going on that The doctors don't normally see so they look and discuss weird things going on - throat is white and has weird bump things - so I remember to mention I have ulcerative oral lichen planus that could be starting to flare because of not feeling well. which means I'll have the equalivant of a mouthful of canker sores in a bit too... Well that helps diet because I can't eat because my mouth will be so sore...

I was thrilled and sick this morning - thrilled because I was over 70lbs lost and just sick because well I'm sick now I'm cranky, semi thrilled and sick :dizzy:

StephanieM
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
182.4! Only .6 lbs away from where I left off before taking that week and a half off. 5 and a half lbs lost in 1 week and 2 days!

Anabee, I think the saddest thing for me right now is I know I would have been in the 170's if I hadn't taken those two breaks. From here on out I'm sticking to it! I'm not even allowing myself to consider taking a break until I'm well into the 160's, and then not again until the 140's.

rho, what type of sleeping pills do you take? I take seroquel for my mood but take it at night and it helps me sleep. It helps shut off my brain so I'm not constantly thinking about and planning the next day/week/month. The downside is lots of people gain on it because it causes uncontrollable night time eating. I've avoided that, but when I went off Atkins for a bit I noticed my night time eating habits got worse.

rho1640
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Steph - yay on the weight loss.. Don't stress about the break you took - I think sometimes we need a break to keep going - we are doing this as a live-it not a diet --- I figure this is how I will eat from now on - adding more vegs and fruit as I get close to my goal ... I will just weigh daily and monitor it and adjust daily to maintain.

I take the generic form of Ambien - it helps - menopause kicked my butt and one thing it really hit was sleep for me. This helps but I still only get between four and five hours sleep. Thanks I will write that down to ask about though..

Serenity100
04-19-2012, 05:25 PM
WTG Steph and Rho on the lbs. gone.:carrot:

I have to be scale obsessed, because if I am not, then, the lbs pile on. Like it did this time.:dizzy:

I have a new favorite thing to make for dinner. . .turkey drumsticks. Yummy, not expensive, and we can eat the skin, nice and crispy.:)

Keep on doing it!

aud
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Only time for a drive-by and ticker change---finally made it into "new" numbers--229 yaaay!:carrot:

Had a lot of blood work done this "morning"---anxious to see my cholesterol.

Hang in there with the schedule air0 and also rho on prednisone--hate that stuff but has always helped me. I have one trusty bottle of IN A JAR Campho-Phenique . . . the stuff in the tube is just not as good for mouth sores/canker---the ole time lil green glass jar kind (so hard to find) is miraculous.

CYA soon

AnaBee
04-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Steph,I hear you on that regret. I derailed myself before christmas and it's only the last 10 days that I've had consistent weight loss again, that's four months wasted. I tried really hard Jan-early March but I wasn't seeing enough results and I fell off again around my birthday. Maybe being on plan won't always show results but going off sure as heck shows the wrong kind of results!

Congrats on all the great numbers guys!!!!

Do any of you find ketosis makes it hard to sleep? I've had a really bad week, firstly I'm not tired until super late and then I have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. It's not me over thinking like if I were stressed but rather I just feel restless and a bit jittery. And I'm not even having any caffeine at all anymore! I'm hoping it passes soon, I'm probably only about 7 or 8 days into it. It's happened before but usually for a shorter time (but then I usually get really nauseous at one point and I haven't had that this time... I way prefer fatigue to nausea!

rho1640
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Serenity I agree I decided that I need the daily weigh in to keep me honest and as a reminder of why I do this now.

Aud. WHOO hoooo on a new decade of numbers - isn't that the best feeling! I'll remember to try that - I happen to have a green bottle of it. I know Prednisone can be one of the treatments for a flare of the LP so I'm hoping it will stop it in its tracks before it gets bad - maybe do double duty for me since I have to take it anyway.

AnaBee I don't check for ketosis -- sometimes when I did I was deep in color and sometime I was barely changing the color but I kept losing at the same rate either way. But I do think I read somewhere it can do that. Maybe being sure to drink more water to flush it out would help?

StephanieM
04-19-2012, 10:57 PM
I just want to say that my daughter is driving me crazy. My husband is out of town and this is the 4th of 10 days. I think she's teething. It's so hard being 'on' 24/7, cleaning, doing dishes, taking care of her, trying to take care of myself.

We did go for a nice walk today though. My MIL is taking her overnight tomorrow :) I'm going to take a loooonnnnggggg bubble bath and actually cook myself a dinner!

jansusan
04-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Well, doing soso this week ,actually gained a pound. I work with men,(I build airplanes) and they are always coming up to me giving me candy... :).Sweet, but still...Im thinking Im actually not eating enough. Im tired all the time.I started taking vitamins today, maybe that will help. I stopped at the store on the way to work Tues. and got a diet drink and a banana,I wasnt feeling good. Later ,my energy picked up a little and started feeling better. I needed Potassium maybe? I know bananas arent allowed yet. So Im hoping the vitamins will kick in soon. Calling in sick tomorrow,(helping son move into his apartment)and Im determine this weekend,not to go off Atkins!

selway
04-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Stephanie M - hang in there! I seriously don't know how single (or deployed military spouse, etc.) parents do it. I have two little ones (2 and 4) and I really appreciate the tag-team approach that two parents can have. Sometimes you just need a few minutes! It sounds like you have fabulous in-laws, how wonderful that they are so supportive. You rocked your diet this week, enjoy your bubble bath and recharge!

selway
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
AnaBee - I've only been in ketosis for 2 days, but have been sleeping like a rock (but also have 2 little ones that wake me up if they even cough at night...)

Jansusan - I am not the Atkins pro by any means, but I would guess that you will certainly benefit from the multivitamins. AND - if you were craving a banana, maybe your body knew that you needed potassium. I take a calcium and magnesium supplement mainly due to my diet (yes, am aware that calcium does not just exist solely in dairy products :) )

Rho - feeling any better today?

One quick question - I thought I was doing so well but just checked my diet for % fat, protein, and carbs. I am averaging 35% fat and 57% protein. I have read that Induction is supposed to be 60-70% fat. Any tips to get the fat % up? Besides eating a stick of butter ;) ?

Serenity100
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Steph- hang in there with the baby. try to take a nap when she takes a nap.

Selway- Have you tried eating 1/2 an avocado in your salad to add fat. I also add EVOO to my salad and vegetables. Heavy Cream or HnH for your coffee.

AnaBee I sleep well except I have to get up 2x a night for a darn potty break with all that water I am drinking.

Hope everyone is hanging in there. Keep on doing it.

aud
04-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi All - another drive-by:dizzy: . . . still OP and rockin' on:carrot:

I've had lifelong sleep disorder (night terror) but the lack of sleep stuff I've had really came on, like rho, with menopause not ketosis anaB. Misery, hang in there!:hug:

And also hang in there steph - itsa lot, I know firsthand. Not sure if I've ever mentioned how I love your baby's name? Too cute!:)

I build vans jansusan.:cool:

I add a healthy splach of heavy whipping cream to my icy protein shake selway.

ok - cya all in the Wee - have a great OP rest of the day!

airomatic
04-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Another quick check in, still struggling with my schedule and food. I seem to be eating only 1-2 times a day because I don't have the time and not always on plan, but at least I'm aware of it. I am determined tomorrow to do some advanced prep for the week so I can at the very least have salad stuff ready and maybe actually start taking them to work and school again. I also am going to make the clouds tomorrow because I seem to be having major sweet cravings, just a guess it's from stress. I also need to pick up some more protein powder because that helps keep me away from cookies and stuff. Other goal is to check in more often here, I seem to stay on track better when I do that and I'm logging my food, otherwise it's easy to ignore what I'm eating.
Selway: you could try unsweetened coconut milk it has 5 grams of fat per 8 oz serving and 1 net carb. I usually use that or coconut/almond milk (which has 3 grams of fat) for my protein shakes and add a bit of half and half to boost the fat content.

globetrotter74
04-21-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi everyone..

hang in there Steph.. I don't have any kids so I only can imagine how tired you are.. like Serenith suggested try and sleep when she sleeps..

Aud you have a lifelong sleeping disorder I only can imagine how tired you must be and often have a lack of energy..

Serenity I'm like you as well I get up to go to the bathroom from all the water that I drink as well during the night LOL..

Well I finally got my scale back and it has gone down :carrot: the inches have went down a lot and also if I can suggest this look at yourself in the mirror naked :o I see the difference in the way my body looks. I'm very close to my goal and everyone syas thos last pound are the hardest to lose, but I've been working hard with exercising as much as possible and staying on plan..

Hope everyone is doing well..

globetrotter74
04-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Another quick check in, still struggling with my schedule and food. I seem to be eating only 1-2 times a day because I don't have the time and not always on plan, but at least I'm aware of it. I am determined tomorrow to do some advanced prep for the week so I can at the very least have salad stuff ready and maybe actually start taking them to work and school again. I also am going to make the clouds tomorrow because I seem to be having major sweet cravings, just a guess it's from stress. I also need to pick up some more protein powder because that helps keep me away from cookies and stuff. Other goal is to check in more often here, I seem to stay on track better when I do that and I'm logging my food, otherwise it's easy to ignore what I'm eating.
Selway: you could try unsweetened coconut milk it has 5 grams of fat per 8 oz serving and 1 net carb. I usually use that or coconut/almond milk (which has 3 grams of fat) for my protein shakes and add a bit of half and half to boost the fat content.

Hi air it is more diffcult when you are running around to eat on plan. pre-planning your food is a good idea. When I know I'm going to be runnng around I boil hotdogs and take them with me as I like hotdogs and they do filll me up..

I agree this forum helps me a lot as the others encourage me as well. but hang in there we all have our moments and no one is perfect..

StephanieM
04-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Feeling better :) My MIL took Sloane for the night and I got laundry done, vacuumed, did dishes, and even cooked myself a steak with some green beans for dinner :) It was a delicious dinner! I feel recharged! Had a nice long shower and everything.

181.8 today, back to my lowest weight :) All six pounds of vacation/break weight gone. Now is when my weight loss will probably slow. Crazy thing is, I'm almost finished my jounal! I only have a few pages left. I need to buy a new one. It's kinda neat to think I filled it all up with measurements, my commitments, everything I eat, my weight in just under 3 months. 15 lbs down in those 3 months, if only I didn't take those breaks it probably would have been 20.

I figure the slower it comes off, the more likely it is to stay off, right?

It's a nice day today :) MIL is coming over with my daughter soon and we're going to do some grocery shopping. Maybe later I'll take her out in the stroller and go for a walk, it seems to relax her a lot.

Hope everyone is doing well!

globetrotter74
04-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Congrats on the weight loss and I do agree the slower it takes to come off the slower it will take to put back on.. but we aren't going to put the weight back on :D

everyone keep up the good work.. you all motivate me..

Serenity100
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone. I'm checking in late today, had a very busy Sat. WTG to all the losers we have.
I decided to do my weigh in this a.m. just in case I couldn't stay OP with all my running around today but I was able to anyways. 1.5 lbs down from last week.:woohoo:

The best part was when my niece saw me today, the first thing she said was "OMG you lost so much weight, you look great"! :D:yay:

Globe, those last lbs. will come off, just keep on doing it. You are doing great.

Steph, the important thing is that you came back 100% after your little breaks. Others might have fallen off the wagon and never got back on.

Air, hang in there. I agree with Globe. Discover what you like and then make sure you have it on hand. Never allow yourself to go without eating so that you feel ravenous and then will eat a cookie or candy. I buy sugar free jello and sugar free ice pops to eat when I get a craving for sugar, which is very rare now.

Rho- hope you are feeling better and you get some rain out there.

AnaB- hope you get a good night's sleep.

:grouphug: Keep on doing it everyone!

selway
04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Everyone, I hope you are having a nice weekend. Thank you for all of the advice on increasing the %fat in my diet. I worked too many hours last week and didn't notice a spreadsheet error - I didn't change the #of calories per gram of fat to 9 - so I actually have plenty of fat. But thank you for the suggestions, I can't wait to try all of them! It feels so weird to be trying to add fat!

Congrats to all of the losers out there - you are all so inspiring! I can't wait to weigh in tomorrow. I wasn't going to until Tuesday (a full 7 days), but am joining a Biggest Loser challenge in one of the other forums and we have to weigh in tomorrow.

Have a nice weekend!

globetrotter74
04-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Congrats on the weight loss Serenity :carrot: I bet you were doing the carrot dance as well... It does make you feel good when people mention to you how much weight you have lost and how good you look.. and I bet you do look great ;) thanks for the encouragement and I'm going to buckle down and lose these last 11/12 pounds and hopefully by memorial day..

TOM is due Tuesday so I know the scales probably won't move as much until after TOM..

I hope everyone is doing good...

Serenity100
04-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Selway, spreadsheets, I'm impressed.;) I can barely remember to enter my weight after my WI.

Globe, thanks for the compliment, but I don't look good yet, just not hideous. lol

Keep it up everyone! I am ready to go for the work week ahead. I find that being prepared, helps immensely. I'm a Kindergarten teacher, so as they tell us teachers, "When you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail". Yes. I hear the groans now, but it does help. lol

StephanieM
04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
181.6 :) TOM is due at some point next week so I expect my weight loss to slow a or even stall for awhile.

Glad to hear everyone is doing good!

globetrotter74
04-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Selway, spreadsheets, I'm impressed.;) I can barely remember to enter my weight after my WI.

Globe, thanks for the compliment, but I don't look good yet, just not hideous. lol

Keep it up everyone! I am ready to go for the work week ahead. I find that being prepared, helps immensely. I'm a Kindergarten teacher, so as they tell us teachers, "When you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail". Yes. I hear the groans now, but it does help. lol

LOL @ Steph I bet you are far from hideous and probably look good. We are our worst critic..

I'm an English teacher so I agree 100% with your quote. I'm really gearing up for these last weeks myself and preparing myself. I do have sore throat and cold and plus TOM is due tomorrow so I'm nto even going to go no where near the scale until next week on monday or so.. I know the drill now LOL

everyone is doing good and like I said so encouraging...

Violet73
04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
hey guys. I had a set back and I'm restarting induction today. I won't go into detail, but I had to get my head on right before really committing to this. Too many life changes at once (whew). I'm here now and I'm ready to get started again and lose this weight.

I'm really sad that I weigh what I did back in the first of the year. I just keep losing and gaining the same weight (sigh).

I'm going to post a link to something that I think yall will love. Bacon versus Bagel! It's a quick look into how carbs make us gain weight. I thought I could help motivate yall. This will be something I refer back to when I need a little motivation (besides coming here!) : http://blog.massivehealth.com/post/20904818719/a-tale-of-two-meals-whats-really-making-you-fat

You will need to click on the picture to make it larger!

globetrotter74
04-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Hey Violet we all have fell off the wagon before. So it definitely is much better to start a diet when you are ready and focused..... so just look ahead and leave the past where it is at in the past. :hug: learn from it and grow.

StephanieM
04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Violet, that's a cool link :)

181.0 today, I'm shocked! I'm just waiting for the slow down or the stall as TOM should come soon, but it's not here yet.

Happy, hope to be in the 170's soon :)

globetrotter74
04-23-2012, 04:49 PM
:carrot: woohoo Steph way to go.. Who knows after TOM you may have not whoosh...

Serenity100
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Welcome back Violet! As Steph said, don't worry, we all have had setbacks, you are not giving up, that is the most important thing. I had seen that link on Pinterest. It makes so much sense, because I had been avoid fat and bacon for years, but I still got fat, eating all the "low fat" junk. Now I eat only good whole food, and the pounds are coming off without much effort. Even my Dh, who doesn't need to lose anything, switched over to this way of eating because we really believe it is more healthy.

Steph WTG! It is great to see a loss when you are not expecting it.

Keep on doing it everyone.:)

dietcokehead98
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM
5 weeks to Memorial Day!
WLG=12lbs
Go me!

selway
04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
AAAAHHHHHH!!!! I weighed myself yesterday and was 212. This morning - 216, with no eating OP. My darn TOM had better be on the way. So frustrating.

Stephanie - WOOT WOOT!

Serenity - not hideous? I bet you look fantastic. Spreadsheets- yes, I am a nerd.

Hello Violet!

Everyone keep trucking to Memorial Day!

minoja75
04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Memorial day seems fast approaching! Really hoping to reach goal...trying so hard to find my energy again...

AnaBee
04-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Hi everyone!! And Violet - good to see you!

I was off plan for Saturday night visiting a friend. I managed to drag myself back on plan on Sunday despite a hang over (wine and vodka, ouch) but today somehow ended up a total fiasco. Back to clean induction eating now! It's such a different mindset once you have something you shouldn't, can't get the cravings out of my head.

Paying for it with a 2 pound water weight gain, boo. Ah well, it's good to have tangible evidence of the badness of sugar...

Serenity100
04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Good Morning, I am doing a quick fly-by before work to keep accountable. Well, I didn't listen when the Atkins vets said don't use those Atkins bars. I was at the store and saw that they had the ones that were faux candy bars on sale. How could I resist? 120 cals and only 3 net carbs. Well, it seems for a sugar addict like myself it doesn't know the difference between real sugar or fake sugar. 'nuff said.

Today 100% OP as usual.:) Talk to you guys later.

Welcome DietCokehead!

StephanieM
04-24-2012, 07:22 PM
AnaBee, I made a mistake like that last night. I had two glasses of wine :S My MIL bought it for dinner and offered it and somehow the word 'no' didn't come out of my mouth :P

I was shocked to see the number on the scale today, 180.4! The wine and dinner did work into my carbs, maybe that's why. Or I'll see a stall tomorrow (common for that kind of stuff to show up 2 days later)

rho1640
04-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Quick stop to say hi ...

Feeling better but still sick - last Prednisone today yay .. And we leave Thursday for our little mini vacation. May have taken on more Than I can do when I increased my challenge but will keep working towards it.

Probably wnt be back on till next Tuesday .. Everyone have a super week

globetrotter74
04-25-2012, 04:26 AM
:carrot: woohoo Steph way to go.. Who knows after TOM you may have another whoosh...

I meant to say you may have another whoosh

globetrotter74
04-25-2012, 04:31 AM
AnaBee, I made a mistake like that last night. I had two glasses of wine :S My MIL bought it for dinner and offered it and somehow the word 'no' didn't come out of my mouth :P

I was shocked to see the number on the scale today, 180.4! The wine and dinner did work into my carbs, maybe that's why. Or I'll see a stall tomorrow (common for that kind of stuff to show up 2 days later)

Steph I hope you saw my correction from my last post.. I meant to say you may have another whoosh after TOM. TOM is here and in full force for me so no scale until at least Sunday..

LOL Steph you are so funny I'm not sure how many carbs are in wine..

Serenity100
04-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Good Morning! So happy today. A pair of jeans that haven't fit for at least a year, I'm wearing.:dancer:

Keep on doing it!

globetrotter74
04-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Serenity I'm dancing with ya :carrot: I feel a bit terrible and have a sore throat :( I may have to break down and have some soup as I can't really swollow well si soup maybe the only way to eat something...

Sel, I'm the same way with weight. I'll weigh 3 pounds less in the afternoon after a full meal than on an empty stomach.. if TOM is around the corner that could be it..

Hang in there guys... we are creeping along to Memorial day.. I'm hoping I'll be at my goal weight but we will see. I haven't worked out since TOM and now with this sore throat I don't want to do nothing at all..

globetrotter74
04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Ladies I have to break down and have some soup that is not on plan :( mashing up green beans didn't work and I have no atkins shakes around plus I need something in my stomach and not starve so this soup which I read the label is low fat but full of carbs.. oh well I'm hoping it won't do too much damage but with TOM here and having a very bad sore throat I need to get something down plus a headache was coming on and I know it was from not eating anything..

Tomorrow I'm hoping my throat will be better.. not sure if I'll make my 12 lb loss by memorial day but 6 lb for sure ..

rho1640
04-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Serenity I'm dancing with ya :carrot: I feel a bit terrible and have a sore throat :( I may have to break down and have some soup as I can't really swollow well si soup maybe the only way to eat something...

Hang in there guys... we are creeping along to Memorial day.. I'm hoping I'll be at my goal weight but we will see. I haven't worked out since TOM and now with this sore throat I don't want to do nothing at all..

watch the throat that is how I began .. And soup did help ... Good luck

Weighed myself to see the damages this morning - and I lost .2 I am thrilled I figured I would be up from meds alone. Yay. Now to make it thru my 5 days away with no gain and I will be dancing in the streets..

You'll keep it up while I'm gone ..

Serenity I save those bars for real need .. In fact had some expire recently - I found they weren't my friend either

Vi so glad to see you! Brush yourself off and jump on ... You will do super! Getting back into it is the hardest thing and you already did that so you are good to go!

rho1640
04-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Globe - do you have some chicken and chicken broth and celery, carrot, a little onion and wine ... That was my cheat soup I used a ton of celery and a small onion some garlic and I put a little of the shredded carrots in it oh and mushrooms ... If you feel up to it let the chicken simmer for a long time then take it out and cool and pick the meat then add the veggies etc and let it go throw the meat back in and enjoy. It will become like jello in the fridge but that's what you want - that's where all the goodness is and when you warm it it liquids up again.

Feel better

globetrotter74
04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Globe - do you have some chicken and chicken broth and celery, carrot, a little onion and wine ... That was my cheat soup I used a ton of celery and a small onion some garlic and I put a little of the shredded carrots in it oh and mushrooms ... If you feel up to it let the chicken simmer for a long time then take it out and cool and pick the meat then add the veggies etc and let it go throw the meat back in and enjoy. It will become like jello in the fridge but that's what you want - that's where all the goodness is and when you warm it it liquids up again.

Feel better

That sounds nice but rho I'm so drained from TOM and not eating anything that opening up my boxed soup and throwing it in the microwave was all I could do. I'll do that soup tomorrow minus the wine but it sounds nice.. my sore throat hurts when I swallow.. I'm going to have to go and get more meds for it.. I wasn't sucking on cough drops plus they wouldn't help anyway.. just resting taking meds for TOM and for my sore throat.. not a nice week for myself..

selway
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
210! (was 216 on Monday after beng 212 on Sunday - perhaps due to salt in bacon?). I was freaking out - looking for hidden sugars, etc. For my sweet tooth attacks I have sugar free jello and I had to dig through the trash to make sure I didn't accidently buy the kind with sugar. I have both kinds because my kids like to eat what I do and I don't give them anything with aspartame in it.

Globetrotter - I hope you get feeling better soon, that sounds miserable.

Rho - have a nice vacation!

Serenity and Steph - woot woot!

Everyone have a great day.

aud
04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Back to dust myself off with you Vi . . . plus 8# for my troubles. Gramps finally passed so have been off work and out of town for that . . . totally 0ffP . . . while we arranged all of that it came to light that DH's 27yr0 son is hooked on meth . . . it's tragic. Ultimately nothing we can do as he is in severe denial (the sores on his face are supposedly from a weed whip accident - no word on why his teeth are falling out) and also his Mom/dh's ex is the classic enabler. I even tried Intervention Jeff's line about "loving him to death." All to no avail.:(

I consciously went 0ffP for a change - instead of feeling out of control - mainly just feel disappointed to revert to my old/usual way of dealing with things. It's better to feel disappointed than out of control for me . . . just need to get where I don't feel either lol.

Back to Plan . . . back to work tonite . . . off to change ticker . . .

selway
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Aud - my heart is aching for you. Sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing, that is never easy. I am especially sad to hear of your stepson's addiction. My brother went through the same thing. He is better now, but I agree with you - tough love is the answer, not enabling. I wouldn't wish being a family member of a meth addict on anyone - stay strong. Take care of yourself during these difficult times, you can do it. I don't mean to sound cliche, but this too shall pass......

rho1640
04-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh aud I'm so sorry for both things - neither is easy and my heart breaks for you ..

Just a quick quick run by ... Packing

Serenity100
04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Globe feel better. I bet those carbs you ate won't do much damage because your calorie intake is low. Have you tried gargling with warm salt water to help your throat?

Aud, so sorry to hear about your troubles. :hug: So proud of you that you are back on plan now.

Selway, WTG on the Whoosh. Yes, I have the same reaction to products high in sodium too.

Rho glad you are feeling better. Yes, I agree there is nothing like homemade chicken soup. so much better for you than the canned stuff. Getting some from a Chinese restaurant or a Kosher restaurant is second best, but I have no idea if there are any of those types in Italy where Globe is.

Running to the store, I ran out of salad greens.:dizzy:

Keep on doing it!

AnaBee
04-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Aud, I'm so sorry, you have so much to deal with right now. I'm thinking of you *hugs*

That 2 days later thing Steph is what derails me I think. I do something I shouldn't and don't get 'punished' immediately and thing 'woot!' and continue skating a bit too close to the edge and them bam, a 5 pound gain. Boo!

Gargle your sore throat Globe, that'll help it not to get worse and go to your lungs. Boiling water with salt (let the water cool a bit so you don't burn your throat) works well, or you can get stuff from the chemist/pharmacy/drug store (never know what people call it!) Feel better!

dietcokehead98
04-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Checking in to brag
-3.5lbs since Monday. Woot!
Hopefully I'll meet my -12 for the Memorial Day Challenge!

selway
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
dietcokehead - Woot woot! I have lose 7 pounds of the 18 pound goal that I set for myself. We can do it!

dietcokehead98
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Go on, girl!
I mean, I KNOW it's probably water weight, but I will not pish posh ANYTHING!!! I'll TAKE IT!!!
And how did you lose 73lbs?! Low carb?! We are almost the same height!

selway
04-26-2012, 06:08 PM
dietcokehead - I was lowish carb, low calorie, high protein for a while and then when I plateaued for about a month (serious plateau - tried doubling exercise, tripling it, removing it, etc.). I decided to try Atkins to get the scale moving again. Plateau busted!

aud
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the support All!:hug: Means a lot.

Just popping by to ticker change - 5# of bloat gone after just 1 day back OP!:carrot: Hoping for even more (as always) when I weigh "today" - my nite shift morning always whenver I wake up lol :^: . . . trying to get to sleep to enjoy Friday off work (We're working that "4-10 hr day" schedule that really turns out to be "5-11's" two out of 3 weeks . . . translation: just another way to screw us out of OT pay and exhausting.) Anyhoo, had the bereavement M & T but now called in to a day shift Saturday:dizzy: - determined to stay OP throughout and to get back on my bike. Missed weigh-in at work and the gym/weights all week - gotta stop the slide, ya know?

I went thru this meth thing with my Sis and my neph. Pure heartache and a scourge of rural communities especially . . . he finally got off this poison (almost a year now--he's almost 40yr0) but took a horrible health scare/hospitalization (liver failure/bowel damage) to scare him straight. Neph somehow never looked as terrible as stepson did at the wake/funeral tho - so thinking this is a bad case.

Sorry to babble - the birds are singing and the sun is up - time for this nite shifter to hit the hay. Hope everyone has a great OP TGIF!:carrot:

selway
04-27-2012, 02:05 PM
OMG I thought this was the "no hunger" diet! I have been reading through old posts and it seems that many people have the opposite reaction I am having - many said that they forget to eat. I am ready for every meal and already had to have a large snack today. I am concerned because I ate 2300 calories yesterday and gained 2 lbs overnights. I understand these might not necessarily be related - but thought I would ask. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you.

selway
04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Hmmmm.... I might have figured out my problem. I have been eating sugar free jello as a snack. AND - I have been working long hours and had 2 diet sodas (per day) in the last 2 days. Perhaps the aspartame and/or caffeine are causing insulin spikes. I will cut those out (sniff, sniff, bye yummy jello) and see if it helps. I will learn this program yet!

Serenity100
04-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi Selway, I definitely think the Diet Coke could do that to you. Not only does it cause you to crave sugar, but it causes you to retain water because of the high sodium content. It is probably water weight. Try to limit your jello to 1 and see what happens. If you ate protein you shouldn't have gained 2 lbs if you kept your carbs low.
Hmmmm.... I might have figured out my problem. I have been eating sugar free jello as a snack. AND - I have been working long hours and had 2 diet sodas (per day) in the last 2 days. Perhaps the aspartame and/or caffeine are causing insulin spikes. I will cut those out (sniff, sniff, bye yummy jello) and see if it helps. I will learn this program yet!

dietcokehead98
04-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I am "no sugar" crashing. Day 5 of induction and here it is.
So far I've eaten a cheese stick, chewed 2 pieces of gum (0 carbs each) had a diet coke with sf vanilla torani syrup and snacked on some turkey pepperoni to take my mind off of it. Crash. Bang.

I'm looking forward to my energy burst....any time now....

globetrotter74
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
selway I agree with Serenity and cut back on the jello. Me personally I don't eat the sugar free jellos or anything with aspartame. Not just because of atkins even before I did atkins.. If you were eating protein you shouldn't gain weight. I eat A LOT of meat and have been losing constantly..

aud
04-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi Again All!

Hope you're feeling better globe? Tx for the reminder on saltwater as a gargle - it's one remedy that my Mom & Gram swore by anaB! Also serenity for running out of salad greens lol . . . I'm out too! Try whipping a lil heavy whipping cream on top of the jello selW? This makes me eat less of the jello and makes more filling and satisfying. LOVE my magic bullet for this.

I've "done atkins" and lost lots of weight before on diet coke/sf jello/vienna sausages/pork rinds/beef jerkey/plain barb-q and lc beer:o:dizzy:, dchead . . . I'm doing it as a total lifestyle change this time as a healthier way to live - weight loss as a side effect. This means salads and vegetables and the luxuriousness of enjoying these with a savory sauce/cheese sauce/real butter. I'm concentrating on smaller portions of delicious and filling food and thats what is keeping the hunger and binge monster away for me. I do have those other things now in moderation and when I'm out of staples/on the run . . .

S'posed to rain here for the next 7 days:?: . . . even tho' I got up "early" still haven't made it outside/bike . . . just vegging on the computer.

globetrotter74
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Well guys still a bit sick with a sore throat and swallowing is still irritating but not unbearable as it was a few days ago. I'll weigh myself on Sunday as TOM just left today.. I went off plan on the day that I couldn't eat anything solid and needed to get something in me so I ate a boxed soup I had which was low fat and calories but high in carbs. hopefully that one day then throw me off..

hope everyone is doing good

Serenity100
04-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Globe, hope you are feeling better. I use Ester C as a supplement, and it really prevents me from feeling run down.

Aud, I am making this a lifestyle change too. As I mentioned, Dh is on the wagon also even though he doesn't need to lose weight. It is very easy to keep to it that way. We had a week of rain and cold last week, and I used that as an excuse not to go out for my walk. Don't make the same lazy mistake I did. Because I don't think the scale is going to move for me much on WI tomorrow.

DCHead, I love your sense of humor. I hope you have a great WI for your first week.

Definitely going to my walk today. And why I didn't go on the treadmill, or walk in place or do a Leslie Sansone video is proof that I need to focus on my exercise.

Keep on doing it!
'

globetrotter74
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Aud thanks for the suggestions of warm water and salt. I did that and it felt soothing.. Still hurts when I sawallo though. I read up on strep throat and basically in 3 to 7 days it will go away it says and the meds that I have are just a pain reliever... I still have a bit of a cough and my voice is getting better.. I just hate being sick....

Serenity thanks for your commentments.. getting and feeling a bit better..

Aud & Serenity you guys both are right that Atkins is a lifestyle change and I have been planning on making it a daily things as well and not just for now..

Serenity the scale may moe you never know. I haven't done any exercies this week due to being sick.. I'm ready for this strep throat to be over.. still eating is better but pain when I swallow but not as much.. drinking hot water and teas and eating chicken broth soups..

keep up the good work everyone

StephanieM
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Sorry I haven't been around guys! My husband got home Wednesday night and we've been busy catching up, playing with the baby, running errands I couldn't do without him and his truck, etc.

179.4 today :) my weight shot up to 181.6 on Wednesday then I got TOM on Thursday and it started dropping. Still on TOM and it's nice to see my weight going down :)

I love having my husband home but man, there are so many more dishes and it gets messier so much quicker with him here. He helps out a lot but it's still crazy! I also got a new phone on Thursday and we've been playing Draw Something together pretty much since then. He has it on his tablet which he can use with the hotels wifi when he goes back so that'll be nice :)

globetrotter74
04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi eveyone still have the sore throat and just having chicken broth isn't doing it. I'm going to have to eat some yogurt and I've some with the least amount of carbs as possible. I haven't had solid food now going on 3 days and I need something first that I can swallow and that is cold and that will help soothe my throat.. this is for the birds it's been years since I've had strep throat and it hurts like you know what...hopefully by Tuesday I'll be able to eat solid foods and can get back on plan...

I'm not sure if I've gain/loss or what but not eating basically for 3 days who knows but what is most important is to take care of this throat and get better..

congrats on the weight loss Step.. keep up the good work

StephanieM
04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Globetrotter, it's tough being on this diet when you're sick. Comfort foods are usually high in carb (like most soups), most medicines are full of sugar. Even sugar free Halls still have 3.5 carbs in them.

I hope you feel better soon :) Maybe you'll have a nice whoosh after.

aud
04-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Poor globie!:(:hug: That was our anaB who remembered the salt water gargle . . . and I just remembered this from the time I lost 80# on Atkins - it's the Ziplock Ice Cream recipe - it's super EZ and will freeze your throat:

Sparkpeople
I didnt invent this but I do tweek it with differant flavors

Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 5
Number of Servings: 2

Ingredients

Ingredients: 1 tablespoon artificial
sweetener
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
6 tablespoons Table Salt
3 cups Ice
1 Sandwich Sized Ziploc
Bag
1 Gallon Sized Ziploc Bag

Directions

How To Prepare: (No Ice Cream Maker
Needed. It really works,
trust me!!)

In the sandwich sized
ziploc, combine the sugar
substitute, vanilla
extract and heavy cream.
Seal the bag and shake
lightly to mix ingredients.

In the gallon sized ziploc
bag, add 3 cups of ice (or fill
half the bag
with ice)and add 6
tablespoons of table salt.

Place the seal sandwich
sized bag into the gallon
bag and seal the
gallon bag. Shake the entire
contents for at least 4
minutes (shake longer
for harder ice cream).

Once desired hardness
has been achieved, remove
smaller baggies and
rinse throughly with cold
water (if you miss this step,
you may wind up with
salty ice cream!)

Recipe makes about a 1/2
cup of ice cream.

I have doubled the recipe
and it still works well. I am
also sure that
you can add additional
ingredients (cocoa powder,
etc) to create different
flavors of ice cream. Lastly
for our friends and relatives
who aren't
on low carb diets, they can
use milk and regular sugar
rather than the
cream and sugar
substitute.

Number of Servings: 10
Carbs per serving - include all nutritional information if known: 5g carbs total
Effort (Easy, Average, Difficult): Easy

Number of Servings: 2

aud
04-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Glad hub is home steph and new numbers for you to boot!:carrot:

I'm doing good back OP . . . managed the 6mi bike ride Fri and made it to gym/weight lifting today even though I was half-asleep on day shift.:dizzy: Did the full upper and lower body circuit, plus back and stomach since I'd taken a lil over a week off.

Just got the wide-awakes so just got back from the store late . . . got some more big peppers to stuff . . . and lots of other LC staple . . . finally was able to get some frozen chopped cauliflower - great to have on hand.

Hoping to get back into my own new numbers soon . . . hate that I blew it but not giving up!:cool:

globetrotter74
04-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Aud for the receipe definitely will be preparing this today.. I haven't been this sick in years and it doesn't feel good to have your throat feel like it is on fire and swallowing every other second is like feeling nails going down your throat :(

Steph you are right no way to avoid carbs and sugar when you are sick and taking meds, I've looked at a lot of soups ad they all have cars in them so I said just screw it and got the healthiest soups there were and drinking those for the moment. Hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week I can be able to get back on plan. I just came off my cycle as well so this past week wasn't a great week. I'm not sure how much I weigh as I said I will get on the scale once my throat is better.. so we'll see next week..

thanks guys for all the support..

minoja75
04-29-2012, 08:22 AM
GOOD MORNING LADIES!!! Today is a new day, I hope you are all feeling great...we still have 4 weeks til Memorial Day so good luck!

Serenity100
04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Good Morning. Weigh in for me today, and good news to report. Another two lbs gone. That makes it exactly 20 lbs in exactly two months on Atkins.:carrot: Another beautiful day for walking here, so I have no excuse.

Globe, I hope you went to the Dr. for some meds. and tests. Your throat seems to be taking a long time to get better. :getwell:

Everyone else seems to be doing okay.:)

Keep on doing it! We are never going to give up.

globetrotter74
04-29-2012, 11:19 AM
congrats serenity :carrot: thats awesome and 10 pounds per month is great.. not too fast nor too slow.. woohooo

thanks serenity :hug: I woke up today and my throat has improved.. still a little painful when swallowing but not like it was. been to doctor so strep throat it was.. it'll be better by mid-week and my voice is coming back..

Will weigh in on Wednesday once I'm off meds.. hopefully I haven't done too much damage but by eating none solids for a few days I don't think I will have done much damage but there were a lot of carbs in those soups and yogurts..

I'm gearing up for the next 4 weeks and hopefully and hopefully can be at leas 8 - 9 pounds lighter and right at my goal.. this sore throat set me back but that's life we can't help when we get sick..

everyone keep up the good work..

dietcokehead98
04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Have I mentioned that I have a side business with my mom? We make gourmet cupcakes and cake pops. Anyhow, we did beach wedding themed cupcakes yesterday and do you know how hard it was to not try the home made white chocolate shells or coral or to taste a key lime cupcake or to eat the frosting?!?! I chewed gum the whole time we were baking and decorating and after we set up at the reception I treated myself to $40 of gulf shrimp (boiled), grilled veggies and the most tender steak I've had in a long time! I was so full, crisis AVERTED.
Whew, if I can make it through this weekend then I can make it through the 100 popcorn cupcakes for next, right? The "popcorn" is marshmallows......Oy.

globetrotter74
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Have I mentioned that I have a side business with my mom? We make gourmet cupcakes and cake pops. Anyhow, we did beach wedding themed cupcakes yesterday and do you know how hard it was to not try the home made white chocolate shells or coral or to taste a key lime cupcake or to eat the frosting?!?! I chewed gum the whole time we were baking and decorating and after we set up at the reception I treated myself to $40 of gulf shrimp (boiled), grilled veggies and the most tender steak I've had in a long time! I was so full, crisis AVERTED.
Whew, if I can make it through this weekend then I can make it through the 100 popcorn cupcakes for next, right? The "popcorn" is marshmallows......Oy.

Diet you definitely deserve applause :cp: for that. Being around all those delicious carbs and survive tells you that you definitely have will power .

dietcokehead98
04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks! We even went as far as wishing dairy queen had a sugar free high protein blizzard. We named it the Bacon Blizzard. Low carb SF ice cream with huge pieces of bacon......lol

StephanieM
04-29-2012, 01:40 PM
178.4 today, definitely shocked to see that number! Happy though :) I like being on plan, I do so well when I don't stray. I feel like I'm on a roll lately and I don't want to trip it up.

Today we're going out to lunch with my step daughter, then dinner with the in laws. Made a salad for lunch since she usually chooses McDonalds (she's 8 and likes the toys and play area). Dinner is supposed to be hot dogs and hamburgers which I can just have bunless :)

aud
04-29-2012, 02:44 PM
So glad you're a bit better globe . . . Ima "strep veteran", suffering from childhood all the way into my 20's with bout after bout . . . have only had occasionally since, Thank God - just misery. (I'm 51) Think reading "soup talk" has made me hungry for it lol . . . going to make a batch of this from Linda's site and concentrate on soup/salad this week . . . think I've been trending back to beef-porkAmania since being back op:dizzy:...BUT...down another lb!:carrot:

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE-- http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cauliflower_bisque.html

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming
1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped *

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté the onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add the chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and the broth; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low; cover and simmer until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add the cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups or 6 big servings
Can be frozen

* Do not use dried parsley.

Per Serving: 150 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This reminded me of the Leek and Potato Soup that I'd eaten several times while in England and is one of my favorite soups. You could also add some cooked shrimp or crab for a seafood bisque.

UPDATE: I made this recipe using a broccoflower just to see what it was like. The flavor wasn't any different than with cauliflower but the color came out a bit like a pale split pea soup. I don't recommend spending a lot of money for a broccoflower if you can get regular cauliflower cheaper. I found the broccoflower for 99¢ so it was a bargain and worth trying. The label on the broccoflower claimed that it's a cross between cauliflower and broccoli but the Cook's Thesaurus says it's just a green variety of cauliflower. I'm inclined to believe that description after tasting it. For information about stick blenders, click here.

aud
04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Tx for the reminder minoJ . . . 4 weeks seems doable! And yay for serenity and steph.:carrot: It's cold and dreary here in MO - getting ready to bundle up and hit the bike trail. I'm loving my audiobook "The Other Side of Midnight" Sidney Sheldon - so hopefully I'll be distracted enough not to notice how miserablke I'll be?!:dizzy:

(Hope no one minds my "double postings" ... it's just when I paste a recipe, it makes it so long when I continue to chat?):o

So yeah, I'm trending again to only beefs and porks but am getting my veggies as well (cabbage/turnips and green beans last week...and did manage to get salmon to break it up.) Cooking today for the week and remembering to get some tuna salad ready in the fridge and also some stuffed jalapenos (only I got those bigger peppers that I can never remember the name of lol:?:) I'm also going to try making a batch of the cauli-mash and freezing scoops in sandwich bags....that might be a good idea to take along to your in-laws steph? You could eat whatever main meat they're having--but then have your own satisfying side dish handy? I've still got the "Clouds" and "Choco-Cheesecake Bites" in the freezer - I'm eating very sparingly, and just being in there has kept the :devil:Binge Monster:devil: at bay!

(I could go for a Bacon Blizzard at any time tho!:D) Hang in there dietcokeH . . . you have AMAZING willpower! There are several "Induction-friendly" desserts @ Linda's site - maybe you could use your facility to have some on hand for yourself too? Altho' the dinner you described really takes away that "deprived" feeling, I bet!

Off for a ticker change - have a great rest of our Sunday All!

aud
04-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Induction recipes have *

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/dessert_recipes.html

dietcokehead98
04-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks, aud. I'm a big fan of Linda's low carb site. I've been with 3fc since 2001, when I did atkins to loose weight before my wedding. Then i came back after I had my daughter (9 years ago) and I'm back now because in the past 5 years I've moved across country, quit smoking and just decided to "screw it" and eat what I want.
Today i bought a wedge of brie as my "sweet" snack. I'm going to have it with celery and by itself and i'm going to ENJOY IT to death!!!!

AnaBee
04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Yikes, I got way behind! Globe, sorry to hear you're still so sick, I hope you get better really soon.

Steph, awesome losses! Our numbers are so similar, I am trying to follow you. I had a bad week but stupid slips are so not worth it. I need to ditch the diet coke AGAIN, man, that stuff sucks me in. This morning I was really wishing for tea so I think I'll get some heavy cream and have that in tea for a few days while I wean myself off the caffeine again. It's getting cold here and a hot drink is so nice when I drag myself out of bed at 5am...

Selway, I'm one who gets really hungry if I eat artificial sweeteners or much caffeine - cutting both out usually gives me a whoosh.

selway
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow, congratulations to all of you losers!!

Thank you for the responses to the hunger problem. Two days with no caffeine and no aspartame and surprise, not hungry today! Amazing how things work better for me when I follow the directions!

airomatic
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Congrats to all of you with losses!
Globe hang in there, being sick is the worst, I am just getting over a sore throat and cough myself. I usually don't have weight gain if I'm sick because I eat so little and it seems like my body is fighting so hard so hopefully it's the same for you :)
Back on plan for four days and I'm feeling way better. My weight spiked up to 220 when I was offp but has dropped back down to 212.2 (funny same weight I already had listed).
Aud I finally made the cream cheese clouds and those have really helped in keeping the sugar cravings at bay. I also bought some sugar free jello which helps me when I'm feel nauseous (from pain and pain meds ugh!).
Selway I never thought about too much aspartame making me more hungry but I could see that happening. I drink diet soda when I'm at work, maybe I should switch to just coffee when I'm feeling tired.
Diet: that's some willpower! I love baking but I've been holding off because I don't want to be tempted to sample the results.

globetrotter74
04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone and I can finally say that today my throat doesn't feel like it is on fire.... I even could eat a boiled egg, yes!!!!! :carrot:

Aug thanks for all the lovely soup ingredients they will become a part of my plan LOL.. you dealt with throat problems for how long :eek: I had this for 4/5 days and thought I was on my death bed..

AnB and Sel thanks for the kind words and I will say I haven't been that sick for years I mean like, maybe when I was 12 and I'm in my 30s now..

Air I hope I haven't gain anything as I did eat some yogurt and soups that were high in carbs but it was all I could eat..I'll weigh in tomorrow and hope the scale is nice to me LOL..

4 weeks to go and I'm aiming for at least 2 pounds a week I can do it!!

Congrats again Step and all the other losers as well..

Serenity100
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone! Globe glad you're going better. Steph, wow you are solidly in the 170's now. I can't wait to get there.

If anyone wants to up their motivation and resolve to stay 100% OP until Memorial Day. Do what I did. Try on your bathing suit.:fr: Oh and look into the full length mirror. :eek: 'nuff said.

Keep on doing it!

globetrotter74
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
:lol: @ Serenity aww it wasn't that bad.. I only have a one piece and said one day I would love to wear a 2 piece but... I have some stretch marks around the hip area and I have to find a one that will cover that and plus I'm still a bit modest to wear a 2 piece... I always wear cover ups at the beach

I'll weigh in tomorrow and see if I did damage eating the yogurts and soup when I was sick.. but now that I'm feeling better I'm in it to win it..

AnaBee
04-30-2012, 06:52 PM
LOL Serenity, I should try that. I'm wearing a new dress this morning, I love the colour but sheesh, it makes me look pregnant. Comfy, but I don't know what possessed me to wear a waistline that starts just below my bra. Oh well.

dietcokehead98
04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
....I'm turning into a grilled vegetable.

That's all for today.

globetrotter74
05-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Well guys after being sick and coming off my cycle I finally got on the scale to see that I have put on weight...:( I was like :eek: how in the world did I put on weight when I couldn't eat anything and most of what I ate was yogurt or soup.. true they were full of carbs but OMG!!! I'm back on plan with full force now.. I'm hoping that my body is still carrying water and trying to recuperate from being sick and coming off TOM.. but if anything it has motivated me to go hardcore these next weeks.. I'm aiming for 2 pounds a week which will give me 8 pounds by Memorial Day Weekend.. I will be honest and say I was a bit bummed to see the scale go up but then in the back of my mind I said to myself wait you know you didn't eat a lot of calories to pile on weigh so it must be water and coming off TOM.. either way I'm back in this to win it.. will exercise today 45 mins high aerobics today, tomorrow and will so everyday for the next weeks...

carvinmom
05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I was reading the post and came across this challenge and it reminded me to get back with the program. Atkins is the only way ive been able to lose in the past and i just seem to lack the will power to get started again.Seems like after three years of atkins and then going off, i crave the carbs more then ever.. Im always hungry and feel terrible off my Atkins.... Everyone is so supportive here and have encouraged me by their posts. Im in for the challenge and will lose 12 lbs. by memorial weekend. Will walk my collie for exercise as she needs to be on a diet also.. Do dogs do Atkins @@@@

rho1640
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
So back from vacation .. And between being sick before, sort of sick during and going off plan a little while away I'm up 3 lbs ... Just hope it comes off quickly as I settle back into a routine and get rehydrated ... I never drink enough water when we travel

Slowly catching up on posts ...

globetrotter74
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Aww rho you have been sick as well :hug: glad you are better. I'm up in weigh as well from being sick and had to eat soups and yogurts that were full of carbs but it was all that I could eat. I'm hoping that it is water and plus I just came off TOM on Saturday so we shall see but I'm hardcore now. I will lose 8 pounds by Memorial Day Weekend. I'm going to exercise 2 times a day for 45 mins and definitely stay on plan!!!

dietcokehead98
05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
You GO globetrotter, you can do it!

My scale hasn't moved since Sunday. This will not deter me. It will not beat me. I WILL WIN!!! TOWANDA!!!!!!!!

globetrotter74
05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
You GO globetrotter, you can do it!

My scale hasn't moved since Sunday. This will not deter me. It will not beat me. I WILL WIN!!! TOWANDA!!!!!!!!

Thanks Diet I'm so determined now!!
I see that you aren't going to let your scale stop you as well and it just has motivated you..

We definitely can do this!!! The scale may have won this small battle but I will win the war.. it is on

selway
05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
AnaBee - LOL, I have a dress like that too.

Dietcokehead - Wow, my hat is off to you for doing the side business you do and staying on your diet program. I was inspired by you and made my kids (2 and 4) chocolate chip cookies on Sunday. It was easy not to eat a cookie, but it was so hard not to do the instinctive reactions (lick beater, eat stray cookie chunk that stuck to pan, etc.) that I must have done when I made them cookies in the past!

Carvinmom - welcome back!

Go Globe, Go Rho, Go Stephanie, Go Everybody!

Serenity - I couldn't even find a bathing suit to try on! I look forward to buying one in July.

I am struggling with TOM. The scale had better be moving down after it is over. I have been working so hard!

aud
05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Doin' a drive-by to say HEY!:carrot: Down another pound - will be back to catch up in the Wee Hours - Super busy/OT - ttyl!:hug:

Serenity100
05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Good news Aud! Globe, you are probably dehydrated from not drinking all of your water when you were sick. Keep drinking that water.

Tomorrow we are ordering Chinese food in at lunch to celebrate one of the girl's birthday. As long as I don't eat the sauce or rice, I should have no problem. Of course I am going to have to pass up the delicious birthday cake, but I have to make sacrifices. lol (which I hate to do, and that is part of my problem)

Keep on doing it!

globetrotter74
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I hope you are right Serenity. I've worked out 2 times today and will continue to work out at least once a day twice if time permits. So I'm amping up my work out routine.. hopefully I will get a whoosh but I'm not going to wait around on it.. I need to get my behind into action. being sick threw me off for almost 1 week..

Great will power for you Serenity... like you said sacrifices LOL but you know there are a few low carb cake mixes that you can order off the internet.. some have been given good reviews.. if you have a sweet tooth.. I'm a savoury person so I like potato chips and such.. I did come across some low carb chips will have to try those later on..of course all of these products aren't induction safe foods LOL this would be more for OWL or those maintaining..

rho1640
05-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Hang in during the stucks guys - maybe trying measuring yourselves - even if the scale is stuck you can be losing inches. Or get something that is snug and keep trying it on.

I know I concentrate on numbers too much I'm trying to get other things to judge by also instead of focusing on one thing only. I wish wish wish I could not weigh at all and just do this - I know it works and it would be less stress but I'm not at that point yet.

We can do it - just keep on keepin on everyone :hug:

dietcokehead98
05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Ok, so....still no movement on the scale. Instead of shouting I will simply say "Towanda". It wont win.....(?)
I think I need to eat more.

StephanieM
05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Hey guys :) My husband is back out of town as of Monday morning but will be back shortly tonight and leaving again tomorrow afternoon until Wednesday. I weighed in at 180.0, yesterday 179.6, today 178.8. I did have some wine and started a new pack of birth control Sunday, so I think thats why I had the jump.

One nice new thing is I notice my puffy stomach (where my daughter used to be) looks like it is finally shrinking :)

I had a talk with my husband about being stressed and having to do it all alone while he works out of town for the next while. I explained to him it's tiring feeding, changing, playing, putting down for naps with the baby while still keeping the house up with laundry, dishes, taking out the trash, cleaning, cooking, etc. I said I need a vacation but that would be almost impossible since he didn't work for three weeks and we're still kind of catching up for that. We finally decided that as a Mothers Day gift (He'll be back in town Wednesday night to Monday morning that weekend) he'll drop me off at the mall and I'll just take some time to shop alone (I have a gift card from Christmas to the mall with 118 dollars left on it).

And he's going to try to not eat out and drink every night while he's out of town and not spend all his money they give him for food and lodging :P That way he might have a little extra to give me.

Some new clothes would be nice, I have lost 46 of the 60 lbs I gained while pregnant and I'm tired of wearing my maternity jeans because nothing else fits.

Oh, and I should take my measurements tomorrow morning, it's been almost two months since I've done it and last time I did lose inches. Will be nice to see where I am at :)

AnaBee
05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I think that's great you had that talk with him Steph. It's hard being the one at home. You deserve new clothes - 46 out of 60 pounds is awesome!!!!

dietcoke (heh, I'm trying to give that up again), no, it won't win!!

I'm going to start aqua aerobics again this weekend. I did it ages ago and it was so fun, plus, super good exercise. I like the deep water version so you aren't jumping on the concrete bottom of the pool. I foresee a nap on saturday afternoon, something about it wipes me out!

ETA, of course this means I have to get into a bathing suit, eek. I wear shorts and a halter top though, it's not totally awful. Shorts hide a lot...

geoblewis
05-03-2012, 02:50 AM
I know it's just a few weeks from Memorial Day, but I'd like to join in. I'm on week three and sticking to Atkins Induction for as long as I can stand it. I've been on the actual Atkins support forum, but it isn't very lively. I need to be actively accountable. Hope you're an active group.

I have a long way to go, but since I've started Atkins, I've lost 8 lbs. I'm definitely a slow loser, so the 8 lbs is encouraging. I've actually lost just over 60 lbs now since joining 3FC.

I chose Atkins because I'm a type 2 diabetic and have issues with taking medications. Eating carbs at induction levels really helps me keep my blood sugar levels down.

See you again soon!

aud
05-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Hi All and Welcome carvinM and geoB!:carrot: I'm just popping by b4 bed . . . long night . . . long hours . . . Binge Monster got me awhile ago, but just ate too many "Clouds" instead of going :dizzy:OffP:dizzy: so yeah, that's good/better, right?

I helped my type 2 brother a few years ago "do Atkins" . . . he still follows the priniciples (he's never read the book of course) and is doing great going from 3 shots a day to no medicine - maintained for years.:carrot:

(GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr;))

Caught up on all the posts - love this group:hug: but too tired to respond lol . . . keep on keeping on All!:cool:

Elizabeth779
05-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi everyone -- I'm beginning today 5-3-12, after some stops and starts, some binges and some sugar withdrawals......

Put me down for 15 by end of May -- that would get me over this current hump of yo-yoing between 270 and 275. That would put me at 260 which would be some new numbers that would make me happy....and into a new size for summer clothes too.

So, here's to us!

Serenity100
05-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Try to wean yourself off the DC, because it definitely causes me to stall. I know we are only allowed one cup of coffee per day, so I would try for one diet coke a day. See if that helps.
Ok, so....still no movement on the scale. Instead of shouting I will simply say "Towanda". It wont win.....(?)
I think I need to eat more.

Serenity100
05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Good Morning! Welcome Georgia and Elizabeth! It is never too late to join, as all of us can attest.:) Not only is this a challenge thread, but an encouragement thread, and accountability thread. We multi-task here, we are talented.:D

On another note, I read on the Atkins.com FB page that a lady said that garlic had a high amount of carbs. I haven't had time to research this yet, but something to think about if you use lots of garlic in cooking.

Yesterday we celebrated my friend's birthday with the Chinese food. Lots of food there, but it was easy to resist the non-Atkins friendly stuff. Had a little chicken with broccoli and one spare rib. No birthday cake.:carrot: Next time I am going to remember to tell them to order the sauce on the side for the chicken and broccoli, no sense wasting carbs like that.

Keep on doing it.

minoja75
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
I know how you feel dietcokehead and Towanda seems a fitting chant for times like this. I noticed your post about your side business and I can relate...I make specialty cakes and have to remind myself to get someone else to do any taste testing needed.

Good luck ladies...I know we can all stick to plan and will see some good results by Memorial Day!:carrot:

selway
05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Hello Elizabeth and Georgia!

Aud - I have purposely not made the clouds yet (I'm doing old school Induction) because I don't think I could resist them! Your brother's story is very inspriring. My grandmother had diabetes and that is one reason I really wanted to get control of my diet/health this year - don't want to go down that road. I'm sure I was well on my way.

Dietcokehead - no loss for a week on my end. It is TTOM so I am hoping that in a day or soon I will have a big loss to account for all of the fat that I must be losing. So frustrating. Hang in there.

Serenity - Good job skipping the cake!

Steph - I know you didn't ask for advice but....use your support system. It sounds like you have in-laws that adore you and your baby. Even Supermoms need a breather. I know I felt guilty asking anyone for help (husband worked out of town 5 days a week, I work full time, run a small side business, have 2 little ones now 2 and 4, and had the whole house to keep up, etc.) and was really drained. You sound like a strong, independent woman that I'm guessing tries to do it ALL. Take care of yourself.

geoblewis
05-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, girls. I woke up to another .5lb loss this morning. On Sunday I'll move my slider. Could it be I will break past 290 by then?

I never put down a goal...I am shooting for 280 lbs by the end of May. I'm leaving for a month and want to fit into the size 22 pants I bought for my trip. Getting closer to that. I can zip one of the pairs of pants and they look snug but nice.

See you 'round!

dietcokehead98
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Still nothing. And I'm week 2 of induction.
I know I need to give up the diet coke. It's my one "luxury"...the overly "sweet" thing that I need to help with my sugar cravings. I don't crave anymore sugar after I've had one, nor do I go off plan. I have one a day. I am now officially frustrated. Not PMS, not TOM...I drink my weight in water every darned day. No scale movement.
Now i whisper......*towanda*
I expect to wake up one morning and have it be -5lbs :)

Thanks for your encouragement, y'all. I'm going to stay positive, even if it's a whisper.

aud
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I cannot live w/o coffee.

That is all.

I think you'll be getting a Whoooosh soon dchead . . . have you tried eating a big salad? That's something I have to remind myself to do . . . I get caught up in beef/pork/veggies with cheese sauces and forget to add fish/chicken and salads into the big picture menus.

I'm holding steady but hope to get back to my pre-bereavement - "new numbers"/229 by tomorrow. Really going to try to focus and remember how hard it is to take the lbs back off after going OffP.

It's just not worth it and such a discouraging cycle.

PS and ETA: Hello and Welcome Elizabeth!

StephanieM
05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
selway, I do try to do it all! My in laws are there, mostly my MIL. I don't ask for help too often though as she is constantly watching my niece and nephew, my nephew is just 2 and a half months younger than my daughter. My SIL needs a lot of help since she's finishing school, starting a new job, and breaking up and getting back together again with the worst guy ever. Last weekend my FIL wanted to go after him after he heard that this guy ripped the phone out of her wall.

Now my other SIL just ended a 7 year relationship with a guy that was practically family to us all and she needs her mom since she has no money and he was supporting her. I'm going to miss him, he's a nice guy. She broke up with him 2 weeks ago, got back together and now broke up with him again two days ago. I think she just wants to be single.

Right now I think they are a little overwhelmed with their own kids! I considered letting my SIL's ex (the nice one) stay with us so I'm not so lonely and maybe have someone to hold the baby so I can take a shower but that just wouldn't work for a few reasons.

StephanieM
05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Oooh, and I weighed in 178.6 today. Looking at my log book I'm not eating enough! Going to try to have a high calorie dinner tonight.

Took measurements and surprised to not see much change like I did last time. I'm surprised because I do see a difference in my body shape lately, I only lost a bit off my waist and hips.

globetrotter74
05-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Hello to everyone and the new people who have joined this challenge...memorial is around the corner and I'm going hardcore with watching my carbs and calories as well..

Will weigh on Saturday to see if the scale has moved down at all. I'm counting my calorie deficit so it should.. I've been exercising for over an hour and half total with two 42 minutes workouts one in the am and one in the pm. today due to work didn't get a chance to workout but my body needs a rest day..

keep posting everyone so encouraging..

hang in there diet the scale will move..

dietcokehead98
05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh, and I'm Amy.....hi! :)

dietcokehead98
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
WOOO HOOO!!!!
Drive by to announce my -2lb loss (finally!!!)

I was thiiiiiiissss close to going to DQ last night. I'm so glad I didn't!!!

Have a great day everyone. TOWANDA!

selway
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
YEAH Dietcokehead!!! I had the same drop this AM - FINALLY!

Have a great day!

dietcokehead98
05-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Yay!!! We RULE!!!!!

geoblewis
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm reporting a loss since yesterday too, down another pound! I hope this keeps up through Sunday and I blow past 290 and well into the 280s!

Congrats to everyone for staying the course!

selway
05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
It seems that the weight loss spirits are with us today! Good job everyone! Great way to launch into the weekend. I think if it didn't budge today or tomorrow, like dietcokehead, I too would be tempted to just eat something else. Memorial Day is rapidly approaching and I still have 10 lbs left of my goal...eeek.

StephanieM
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a drop too! 177.6 :) Really happy to see that number.

StephanieM
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh, and I don't think I said this yet, but I noticed my clothes finally getting looser! Everything has been so tight on me, even one of my pairs of pajama pants. I noticed a few days ago they weren't tight on me! Today I took a chance and tried to put on a pair of jeans that weren't my maternity ones, and they fit! I got the same pair of jeans on before but I couldn't breathe and the muffin top was horrible but this time there wasn't much muffin top and they felt way better!

Yay for NSV's :) Even my large sweats are getting loose and my medium ones are getting a lot more comfortable.

rho1640
05-04-2012, 04:47 PM
WHOO Hooo for the weight loss fairy - seems she visited us this week :D

I got into a new decade of numbers and well into it so it should stick.

I have no idea what I want to have for dinner - hubs is away, I'm cranky, and trying to keep anxiety level down (going thru a rough spot for the past few weeks) I haven't eaten today yet other than coffee and water and could not care less... Maybe I'll make some bacon and scramble some eggs and peppers and onion if I have peppers in the freezer. And to top it off only got 2 hours sleep last night and I'm so wired right now I don't see tonight being much better.. Ugh

Amy I have to ask - what is TOWANDA? :o

Serenity100
05-04-2012, 09:11 PM
:cheer:Hurrah! for all our losers. Let's keep it going. I don't weigh in until Sun., but I did have a NSV at work. Someone finally mentioned that they noticed that I lost weight.

Have a great weekend!

globetrotter74
05-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Well let me chime in with my loss as well :carrot: way to go everyone the hard work is paying off.. I will make my memorial day challenge of 8 pounds :D

everyone is doing so well.. we rock!!!!

globetrotter74
05-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Also I was looking at my weight loss and I'm losing it at steady pace and nice and slow which is good. So I'm proud of myself and I see that finish line so near.. and I will cross that finish line!!!!

rho1640
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM
but I did have a NSV at work. Someone finally mentioned that they noticed that I lost weight.

Isn't that the BEST. Congratulations :D

Serenity100
05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Good for you Globe, especially after being sick. Yes, we do rock, lose or no lose, at least we're trying. :cheer:

So, I did my usually stock-up Sat. grocery shopping and noticed those "miracle" noodles I've read about here on 3FC. They look like something you would find in Chow Mein if you ask me, but supposedly they taste like pasta with tomato sauce. With 4 carbs a serving, I'm willing to try it. I've always tried the spaghetti squash that is supposed to taste like pasta too, but to me it tastes like. . .squash. lol

I also bought some shredded cabbage to make a low carb coleslaw. Found an easy receipe on low carb friends, and while I was searching, I found a mock KFC low carb coleslaw recipe.:dizzy: I need to get some buttermilk to make it, but I can't wait! I am going to make me some KFC mock coleslaw for Memorial Day bbq. Anybody else have any good low carb recipes that they have tried? I get bored real easily, so I need to keep things interesting or I might slip.

ttfn

Well let me chime in with my loss as well :carrot: way to go everyone the hard work is paying off.. I will make my memorial day challenge of 8 pounds :D

everyone is doing so well.. we rock!!!!

Tonnie

globetrotter74
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Serenity you are right we rock whether we have a loss or not :D

ohh let me know how those miracle noodles taste. I've heard about them as well.. and KFC coleslaw sounds yummy let me know how it tastes

aud
05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Hmmmm . . . haven't heard of Miracle Noodles (???) but coleslaw recipe looks fab!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/radish_home_fries.html
I'm trying these tonight:

ROSY RADISH HOME FRIES
16 ounces radishes, washed, dried and trimmed
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon cooking oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Quarter the smaller radishes and cut any larger ones into eighths. Heat the butter and oil in a medium skillet; add the radishes and onions. Cover the pan and turn heat to low. Let cook for 5-10 minutes. Uncover, turn heat to medium and cook until nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings
Can be frozen

Per Serving: 107 Calories; 10g Fat; 1g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

If you can get past the pink color, these taste amazingly like fried potatoes. The covered cooking helps to soften them a bit before the browning stage. I covered mine for 5 minutes and they still had a little crunch so 10 minutes might be better. Although they tasted a lot like potatoes, there seemed to be something missing so I think the addition of a couple slices of bacon might add just the right flavor. If you use bacon, brown it a bit before adding the onion and radishes, and omit the butter and oil.

If you like a more oniony flavor, you can use about 4 ounces which will increase the carbs per se

aud
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
And I've also been on a "jalapeno" popper kick . . . love having these in the fridge - so ez to nuke:

orum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=432320
Cilantro Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

Ingredients:
20 Jalapenos
4 oz Cream Cheese (1/2 a box)
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Cilantro, finely chopped
dash of salt

1 - Donn your protective eye gear and cut the jalapenos lengthwise. I used a grapefruit spoon to scrape out the insides, very handy. But a plain old spoon should work as well. Don't worry if a few seeds are left in. Just spices up the ingredients.
2 - Combine the cheeses, cilantro and salt, mashing until thoroughly mixed. At this point you could also add other things such as lemon or cumin or even cinnamon for a twist on the normal jalapeno hors d'oeuvres. The batch pictured above is the regular recipe.
3 - Using a spoon, fill the jalapeno halves with the mix.
4 - Place in a Pam sprayed pan. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes. Watch for golden brownness. I use a fork to lift up the edge of a jalapeno to make sure the bottoms have cooked through.
5 - Remove and enjoy. Try not to eat them all in one sitting!

NOTE: This recipe will also work with those small peppers that are red, orange, yellow (basically sweet peppers). Just add red pepper flakes and/or spicy sausage to spice them up.

aud
05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
I seldom use actual jalapenos tho' . . . loving the serrano/poblano varieties . . . and just cut up the bigger ones. Don't always use the cilantro or even the cheddar cheese in the mix but definitely DO cook and chop up the bacoin into the cream cheese mixture - eliminates the hassle of trying to wrap these puppies individually and getting the bacon wrap to cook evenly.

I'm holding steady and waiting for the whooosh - been just a bit over Induction levels so after the OffPlanness, I do understand that my system is confused and is in stall mode. Cray-cray week . . . hours and issues, so did NOT make it to the gym at all this week:( . . . BUT heading out when it gets a bit cooler on trusty bike down by the trusty river.

I'm so excited for all of you that have lost, stayed OP, having NSV's and are recovering from being sick!:carrot::hug:

Have a great OP weekend All!

globetrotter74
05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the receipes Aud.. I definitely will give the poppers a try

airomatic
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Aud: I saw the poppers recipe and I really wanted to make them! It's on my "to make" list.
I seem to be stuck at 212.2, yesterday I was down to 211.8 but today back to 212.2. TOM just finished so was hoping for a woosh but nothing yet. I did start an ease into running program which is supposed to be done 20 minutes 3x week but I have done it the last couple of days so that could be the culprit. Fingers crossed I will see the scale move down this week!
Still feeling motivated because I had a NSV: I went to target and found a shirt I liked but it was only in large and for the most part I had been wearing xxl in shirts there but I tried it on and it fit perfectly, so I'm losing somewhere.
Welcome to those who jumped on board in the last week (finally caught up on posts) and good job to those with losses this past week!

StephanieM
05-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I seem to be on a slow rise lately, I wonder if it's because I've started walking with the stroller ever day. I even half jog/run at points and I do it for around 40 minutes. My thighs are sore so I might be retaining water, I was 179.0 today.

And I ate a cupcake, I'm horrible. There were like 20 in my in laws freezer and I gave in. Been good today though.

rho1640
05-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Aud: I saw the poppers recipe and I really wanted to make them! It's on my "to make" list.
<snip>

Still feeling motivated because I had a NSV: I went to target and found a shirt I liked but it was only in large and for the most part I had been wearing xxl in shirts there but I tried it on and it fit perfectly, so I'm losing somewhere!

I agree I have wanted to try the poppers for ages - I think they are on my need to be done soon list - but maybe not jalapeños - I can eat them fine but they make me suffer hours later now lol

I love love love your NSV. And I can't wait till I hit that one! Congratulations!!

geoblewis
05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
:dancer: Happy to report that both feet are firmly planted in the 280s! I'm down a total of 12 lbs. It would be sooooooo cool to break 280 in the next three weeks! I'm starting to believe it's going to happen!

Yesterday I ate SUPER low carbs and lower calories. I was making pesto at a friend's house and kept "tasting" product, almost 1/2 cup! But all that olive oil and cheese made me feel really full and I didn't want to eat again until nearly 10 p.m. I ended up snacking on almonds and hard-cooked eggs last night and went to bed. Barely at 1300 calories, so I dropped 2 lbs more.

Aud, I am getting radishes in my box of veggies from the CSA I belong to. I am going to use your recipe! Thank you for sharing!

dietcokehead98
05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
The scale went the wrong way this morning! I think I od'd on sodium this weekend.
On a better note, I just had the yummmiest salad from Subway.

Good luck this week everyone!

globetrotter74
05-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Step it happens,.. but just get right back on plan.. just keep up the working out they say when you are sore you should contiune to work out more.. that's why "they" say

diet it could be sodium and if you are eating anything like salumi that has a salt in it.. if you have been on plan then try not to worry too much about it you know you didn't gain the weight over night and water is the culprit.. I'm learning that myself now.. so keep on going..

Aww Air I bet it felt good to wear smaller clothes.. we do forget that we lose inches as well with weight and clothes are measured by inches not weight..

StephanieM
05-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I need to come to you guys when I'm feeling in a rut, I hate being like this. I know Atkins works, but I just am getting so tired of it. Last time I only had to do it for a month and I lost 14 lbs which completed 48 lost and I was happy.

This time I'm starting out heavier and even though I've lost 18 lbs so far on Atkins, it's harder this time.

I cheated today. Which is sad because I've been so good about exercising lately.

Jordana531
05-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I want to lose four by Memorial Day!

globetrotter74
05-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I need to come to you guys when I'm feeling in a rut, I hate being like this. I know Atkins works, but I just am getting so tired of it. Last time I only had to do it for a month and I lost 14 lbs which completed 48 lost and I was happy.

This time I'm starting out heavier and even though I've lost 18 lbs so far on Atkins, it's harder this time.

I cheated today. Which is sad because I've been so good about exercising lately.

Step I definitely understand where you are coming from. If you are getting tired of Atkins look into switching over to different type of plan. You are very close to your weight goal. I agree Atkins works for me as well. I've lost around 7/8 pounds a month which is steady and slow how I want it. Since I'm close to my weight goal I'm starting to read up on the GI Diet and will switch over to that and also starting to eat gluten free things. I want to get to 128 only because I know I will gain at least 5 - 6 pounds during the transitioning from Atkins to the GI Diet. You have to do what is best for you and also what you can keep as a lifestyle change as well... :hug:

Don't worry about cheating and don't beat yourself up. been there and done that and look I'm 10 pounds away from my goal.. just as long as you get back on some type of plan and complete your goals. you are too close to stop now.. go step go :carrot:

rho1640
05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Steph- don't forget your body is still adjusting from pregnancy hormones etc this time around - you are doing good ... Maybe try breaking it down to a day at a time instead of thinking long term - so today I will drink my water and have 3 good meals (and plan them out) and a snack (and plan that out) .... Then tomorrow do the same ... look thru the recipe section here or Linda's recipe site and pick out some that sound good and try them out - I love love the stuffed peppers and meatballs and some chicken recipes and soup and salad recipes ... Most of them are quick and easy to thow together too.

Be sure you are eating enough and drinking enough water... So you aren't tempted .. And post post post ... Write it hour here or in the other forum ..

StephanieM
05-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Globe, it's funny you bring up the GI Diet, my doctor wanted me to go on it when I was pregnant. I didn't listen, I never had GD while pregnant so I didn't think it was a big deal. I've looked more into it and it reminds me of Atkins but not as restrictive. I was looking to use it for maintenance for when I'm at a happy weight.

Rho, you are right about hormones! I'm breaking out, losing my hair, even with medication my mood is a little off at times (but much better). Exercise has been making me feel really good lately. I do need some new recipes and ideas, I think I will look at Linda's site and try some new things :)

Today I'm at 179.2, which is understandable after the day I had yesterday. I tried to go for a walk but 3 blocks in I noticed my big toe hurting. I stopped to look at it and it was all bloody and cut open and there was blood all over my flip flop. I headed home to clean it up and get a band aid, only to get home and realise that Sloane had a poopsplosion in her stroller! So I cleaned her up first, changed her clothes and then tended to myself.

I think yesterday was just one of those days. Today is too rainy for a walk, and tomorrow me and my SIL are going to get piercings together :) This is the one I get along with, she just broke up with her boyfriend of 7 years. It's kind of weird since he's been uncle to my step daughter and my niece since they've been born/babies. We both need a change so this will be fun!

I was going to get my tongue repierced but it would be hard to stick to the diet if I did that so I'm going to get my conch and tragus pierced.

globetrotter74
05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Ok Step I'm curious what is conch and tragus LOL..Sorry about the bloody toe but it was the effort and at least youu are trying.. I'm waiting on my book to come the GI Diet and that will be what I'm going to switch over after I reach my goal...

You had me laughing at poopspolsion LOL..

Hang in there and if Atkins is getting to be too much then like I said find a plan for you..

have fun with your SIL

StephanieM
05-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Here's a link that shows the different types of ear piercings: http://becauseilive.hubpages.com/hub/Guide_to_Ear_Piercings_Definitions__Diagrams

I already have my conch in my left ear and tragus in my right. Thinking of getting them on the opposite ear so I match on each side

Maybe I'll read the GI Diet book early and use that for when I want a break. A little less restrictive but still a good diet.

AnaBee
05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Steph, you're doing great and it sounds to me like any gains are the exercise, it affects me the same way at first. I agree with Rho too about the hormones. I have been on prac (n a preschool) and it's great but I'm so, so tired! Between assignments for uni and work it's like I never get enough sleep, but I got 7.5 hours last night which helped. I've not been eating great but I'm trying to get in more exercise and I seem to be maintaining at least. Atkins works but I find it really hard sometimes. I've been making pancakes from everything I could find (psyllium and protein powder pretty good, I also added in ground hazel nuts and coconut flour) but while these things are relatively low carb, they aren't atkins low carb. But i loooooove pancakes. Sigh. I'm not eating enough vegetables though, I need to get back to basics.

I keep trying to think, what do I want, what would make this plan work perfectly for me. I can't come up with the answer but maybe asking the question over and over will make me hit on it eventually?

Re plans... maybe look into protein power? It's low carb but not quite so restrictive and I just really like Dr Eades (he has a blog). I looked into the GI diet years ago and it seemed really high carb to me, though I have friends who love it I was hungry all the time. I think for me that it doesn't matter how slow the release of carbs, I'm still really sensitive to them :-(

rho1640
05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I swear I made a post here this morning - so if it show up from space someday we know what happened ...

Oh, Steph I agree with AnaBee look into Protein Power too...it might be just enough difference to help you..

Ohhh I bet I know what I did - I hit preview not submit..

globetrotter74
05-10-2012, 01:32 AM
LOL@ rho it has happened to me as well.. to hit preview and not submit..

Ok Steph I have a few friends with the conch piercing..I just never knew the name LOL.. You know Ana and Rho are right.. I didn't think about your hormones and they probably are all over the place and rightful so after having a baby... You have to do what is right for you like I tell everybody. I know people who think atkins is "evil" and others who swear by weight watchers.. After reading up on the GI Diet I knew that this is something that I can do for a lifestyle change and will use it as my maintence.

airomatic
05-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Thanks Rho :) I am still hovering around 212, today I was 211.8 but somehow I have the feeling it will go back up to 212 tomorrow. I just try to remind myself of the looser clothes and that I am losing though the scale isn't moving. I actually will need some new clothes, my shorts from last summer are falling off though I'm hoping to lose another 10 pounds before getting clothes. It's a bit frustrating that the numbers are stuck though and Steph I totally know how you feel. Last summer when I first started doing Atkins I felt like I lost a lot faster and this time it's been a lot slower which makes it really easy to derail when you feel like the progress is too slow. I also know part of my problem is that I'm living with my mom and she always has junk food around which I try to avoid but when I'm tired or stressed out cookies become way too tempting. I need to get some more protein powder, that and eating jerky or some other type of meat snack helps to reduce the sugar cravings.
I think my new Memorial Day challenge will be just to get out of the 210's, if I can make it to 209 and keep it there or lower I will be happy, I just want to see a new set of numbers!
Diet: I love the Subway salads too! I usually get a chicken, bacon and ranch one which is at most 10 carbs when I'm stuck at school all day.
I also need to work out more, got way too hectic beginning of the week to keep up the program but will get back into it tomorrow. Just got to squeeze the time in somewhere.

rho1640
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Air I was down to 213.2 the other day - nothing has changed and didnt eat more or anything and today (official WI day) I'm 214.4. I know it goes up and down during the week - because of water etc but dang couldn't it have stayed down for today :devil: lol

I passed my Memorial Day goal and am just seeing how much more I can do before it gets here. ;).

Ok getting up to go walk at the Rec. Center .... If I put it off longer I'll decide to not go ..

And I'm finally brave enough to put my numbers up btw. Accckkkk

globetrotter74
05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Air I was down to 213.2 the other day - nothing has changed and didnt eat more or anything and today (official WI day) I'm 214.4. I know it goes up and down during the week - because of water etc but dang couldn't it have stayed down for today :devil: lol

I passed my Memorial Day goal and am just seeing how much more I can do before it gets here. ;).

Ok getting up to go walk at the Rec. Center .... If I put it off longer I'll decide to not go ..

And I'm finally brave enough to put my numbers up btw. Accckkkk

Congrats rho on making your memorial say goal woohoo :carrot:

I know what you mean about the weigh staying down LOL it definitely is water and I've learned that my weight goes up and down 2 pounds..I've learned to deal with it I have no choice LOL

I have 4 pounds to go to meet my memorial day goal and I'll make it!! I better!!! LOL

Serenity100
05-11-2012, 05:45 PM
TGIF Everyone! Last week's WI was a wash for me. Which was the first time since I started. I know it is to be expected, but still, it is annoying. Today I feel better because I realized that since I am OP, I am burning fat, so even if I have a pound or two of water, I really have less fat.

Congratulations Rho for meeting your Memorial Day Challenge!

Air, I need to work out more too.

Globe, even if you switch to another plan, you still "have" to post here. lol But kudos to you for figuring out that you can't stay on Atkins as a lifestyle change. It is better than pretending and then gaining all the weight back.

Making myself a portobello mushroom pizza now. The noodles were not bad, but didn't taste like pasta, and the texture was kinda funky because it does look exactly like pasta. But it is worth a try. It says 1 net carb, but I never did check if tofu is allowed, so check the book if you want to be sure.

dietcokehead98
05-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi All!
Well I've been MIA for a bit and totally OP since Monday.
My mother had a massive heart attack Monday afternoon. The doctors referred to it as a "widow maker"....wonderful. Anyway, she's doing ok, she's home and resting now. I've either not been eating because I was in CCU with her or eating whatever my husband put in front of me and eating w/o thinking. I'll get back on induction on Monday, but I may have to alter my goal!
Checking in and I'll see y'all soon!
Amy

AnaBee
05-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Amy (glad you put your name, calling you diet coke seems really wrong at a time like this), I am SO glad she's doing better, that's so scary for you all. Big hugs to you. My dad had a heart attack in 2003 and it totally shook me but it ended up being an awesome turning point for him health wise and now he's in better shape than most men his age. So I wish the same for your mum too. Take care of yourself, I'm glad you checked in again.

Air, I totally hear you on the slow progress making it easy to derail. I find as soon as I recomitt to strict induction time just stops still and it drives me nuts! It's like when I'm off plan type speeds along, but when I'm focused on losing, it takes aaaaaaages and I'm aware of how slow I lose. Boo, time's going to pass one way or the other and it would be so much nicer to be losing even if it is slowly!

Rho, awesome job with your goal! You are such an inspiration. I haven't met a single goal in any of the challenges we've done as a group but I know I'm doing better for having everyone's company and support so I'm just keeping on plugging away at it. I'm sick again (I'm doing teaching prac in a preschool and the germs, omg, those cute little kids are all infectious I swear!) which sucks because besides being super tired, I'm back on the cough lollies and sugary cough syrup. Sigh. I think it's partly artificially sweetened but that's still bad for me. Oh well. Induction level carbs in every other way.

Serenity100
05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Good Morning! :dancer:Yay the scale moved! 1 lb. down I finally made my 10% goal.

Amy,:hug: Prayers for your Mom. Don't over stress about the food.

AnaBee, you are doing great. I see your stats and I can't wait to be 177 lbs. Look for the sugarfree cough drops.

Have a great weekend, and to all the Moms, Happy Mother's Day! I'm eating at home, very easy to stay OP.

rho1640
05-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Oh Amy how scary - the main thing right now is take care of you be sure to try to eat right now - and by that I mean don't worry so much about losing now but be sure to eat enough you need to stay healthy ..

I have missed some of the challenge goals too - but I look at it that I'm still doing good - remember I had 2 months of stuck where I lost a bit gained half back lot a bit gained it back - and was not cheating or anything.. I also try to make them a challenge but doable .. But thanks for calling me an inspiration :o

This kiddos in classrooms are just living Petrie dishes lol. Be sure to take your vitamins

I agree that if anyone changes to a different plan they still have to post here - if anyone gets upset that we all arent doing strict Atkins we can move the next challenge to the doing other LC plan group. I think the group is important for us all and we need to check in no matter where it is located :D

Sold my old car! Now have to clean it out and get the title to give the guy next week ... I'm thinking about using the money for a gas grill and the new fridge that I am in desparate need of (I swear mine is scary loud and shakes when it cycles on and off) then the next thing will be a new stove eventually and final will be a new dishwasher (will keep babying it for as long as possible) the joy of everything being about 24 yrs old ..

How were the portabello mushroom pizzas - I love them ... And I've found I like julienned zucchini the best as my noodle substitution. Sautee them quickly with a little garlic ..

globetrotter74
05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Hey to everyone..

Amy I'm sorry to hear about your mom.. glad she is doing better and hang in there..

Serernity congrats on the 1 lb loss.. a loss is a loss.. :carrot:

Rho and Serenity I still will post in here and check in after I've reached my goal because like you stated Rho it definitely has helped me in so many ways the support is awesome in here :D

I should make my memorial day goal and I'm workig hard to make sure. today I'm not exercising as I've been exercising everyday so I need to give my body a break, plus I cleaned my house so that was some moving around :o

I have the GI Diet and that is what I will switch to after I've reached goal. I'm actually losing 5 lbs below my goal weight because I know doing the transition I will gain some weight back

Happy Mother's Day to all those moms out there :)

aud
05-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi All - just doing a *drive-by*:carrot: . . . cray-cray week of OT . . . did great during my 16 waking hours, but that 17th semi-awake hour munchies has me at more of a maintaining level of carbs. So yeah, I'm staying steady and maintaining my initial loss, but if I could just pass out I think I'd already be at goal!:dizzy:

Starting strict induction level today . . . Will be back in the Wee Hours to catch up on all the posts - hope everyone is doing great! CYA all late tonight:hug:

rho1640
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Happy Mothers Day to all it applies to! Enjoy your special day you've earned it - the hardest and best job in the world.

Ok so I'm frustrated - by something that I know exactly what is happening and that it it's stupid but it is still frustrating :o. My weight the past few days has gone up ... I know it isn't real weight gain because my carbs have been below 30 (and those are from veggies) and my calories have been around 1200 a day ... It all because I have been walking more I think and the big reason - my stupid bodys tendency to either go to the bathroom ALL the time or never ... Guess which phase I'm in right now and which I was in when the weight was melting off ... :( :dizzy:

I do know the trends because I do weigh daily - and see what the trends do - but I wish I could just ignore the scale all together and go just by the fit of my clothes alone - it will never ever happen but I envy people who can do that. :^:

So back to drinking a glass of water every hour to be sure I'm hydrated enough - good habit to get into with summer coming anyway..

I've been watching lots of house hunters and house hunters international programs - for people who rent - about what do you pay? It's been ages since I rented and I wonder how the amounts people are paying go along with what is average rentals on these programs ... It seems sooo high when they are willing to pay $2500 to $3000 a month for rentals... Can you tell I'm watching DVR'd programs as I have my coffee :smug:

Serenity100
05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Happy Sunday!

Rho, I have the same issue with the scale. It is definitely connected to eating too much salt and too little water for me. I had the problem last week, but after a week of working through it, things are looking up.

I really like the Portobello Mushroom pizzas. Next time, I am going to cook them even longer so they really really dry up. You have to like mushrooms though to like them, they are very "mushroomy":) I ate one, and Dh had 3:dizzy: We were a pizza every Friday family so giving up our pizza has not been easy. Hopefully, when I get to goal, I can try a slice of whole wheat pizza on Fridays.

Aud, have you tried Pistachio nuts as a snack? You can eat 25 nuts and it is only 80 calories! Plus you have to crack open every one so that takes time. I do much better with pistachios than almonds, peanuts or walnuts.

I'm looking up a grilled shrimp recipe now, that hubby can make me later, plus a salad with fresh mozzarella cheese.

Go to allrecipes dot com and search for marinated grill shrimp and a bunch of delicious sounding carb friendly recipes come up!

ttfn

globetrotter74
05-13-2012, 02:06 PM
:lol: @ rho I definitely understand the scale thing and I can't really say much as I weigh everyday myself or almost everyday.. All I can say is that if you are on plan and exercising the number will show up on the scale... continue drinking the water..

ohh Serenity I love mushrooms.. I have to look to making a pizza myself.. I may order one of those low carb ready made pizza crusts LOL..

well everyone keep on going.. we have 2 weeks before memorial day and I'm going to work hard to see how much I can lose before then..

aud
05-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Still haven't caught up - still maintaining but just wanted to wish Everyone a:

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!:hug:

lose30
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I found this website too late for the Memorial Day Challenge but maybe some of us can do a 4th of July challenge starting on Memorial Day.

That would be 5-1/2 weeks long. Long enough to see progress but short enough to not give up!

rho1640
05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I found this website too late for the Memorial Day Challenge but maybe some of us can do a 4th of July challenge starting on Memorial Day.

That would be 5-1/2 weeks long. Long enough to see progress but short enough to not give up!

Sounds good - we usually start a new one when one ends .. Hmmm what to make my goal..

globetrotter74
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
sounds like a plan lose.. I'm still going to be popping in posting in here even after I've reached my goal.. this fourm has helped me so much..

AnaBee
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi all! I haven't been losing - not keeping the carbs consistently low enough-mostly because I've been making pancakes with psyllium and protein powder (and naughty - banana) and the carbs add up and also I've had the occasional oranage to try and help my cold. Oranages seem to be pretty good, I don't get cravings. I've been focussing on high fat and I'm staying steady so that's been a good lesson to learn. Still struggling with this stupid cold and not enough sleep - so busy with uni work and my prac teaching etc. I cannot wait for semester to end! Weight loss really requires so much focus. I feel like the second I go on strict induction time stops still and I'm waiting waiting for a loss, but it speeds up when I'm not focussed. Hmm. My problem at the moment is not enough hours in the day, maybe I should be super strict so I can feel that dragging time again... :)

Rho, we pay rent by the week here and mine is $325 per week for a really small one bed apartment (no utilities or anything included and we don't have a door man or anything fancy like that). I'd love to buy but Sydney is ranked maybe 4th in the world for unafordability (if that's a word). If I had to rent a flat big enough for a family it'd be $2000 per month as a minimum (and it would just be a larger version of my crummy place). But I think it's nuts when people rent big houses because those are usually a few thousand a week, if you can affort that you're better to cram into a small apartment for a year or so and save up that money for a house deposit (maybe they are rented by people who transfer for work and their employers pick up the bill) I do love those home buying shows though!

lose30, for sure! I think a bunch of us have been together since our new years challenge, that was back in November maybe?

Sheesh, the spelling in my post is appalling. I seem to have invented a new way of spelling "orange".

StephanieM
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Rho, our rent is 790 a month for a 3 bedroom house. But it's an older place built in the 70's. We live in a cheap city right now, before we lived near Vancouver and our rent was 1350 a month and that was considered cheap. It's one of the most expensive places to live.

Just checking in with you guys :) Husband got home Wednesday a little early so took Sloane so me and my SIL could go to the piercing shop. My SIL ended up getting dermal implants! They implanted the jewlery in her upper cheek, almost looks like a diamond tear drop coming from her eye. I started getting nervous because I know they like you to eat a lot of carbs before a piercing because it makes your blood sugar drop. I ended up having a granola bar and then the piercer made me have a lollipop after as well to make sure there was no fainting. He said 'I don't care if you're on a diet!' haha. He was really funny and nice.

My husband didn't want to go shopping for awhile because he was tired of the travelling and wanted to stay in, then with Mothers Day and everything else it was extremely busy while he was here until he left yesterday morning. I didn't stick to the diet too well, but made sure I didn't go overboard.

I saw a high of 182.6 one day and it made me feel so badly about losing the progress I made, been eating two days clean now and down to 179.4 so it was just water weight. We have about two weeks left so I'm gonna push to make my goal since I was so close :)