Exercise! - My journey to my 1st 5k!!!

View Full Version : My journey to my 1st 5k!!!

happyrunner
04-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Hello there,

So here I am, looking for a fun way to lose weight and get my body back in shape. Never thought I would ever think of running (well maybe more jogging for me) of the way to get there. I tried different diets and they kind of all worked, I just never keep it long enough to reach my goal. Since I can't really stop eating completely :dizzy: and the best way to lose weight is to burn some calories I've decided I'll give jogging a try. Find that wonderful program Couch 2 5k; which only requires 3 sessions per week, WONDERFUL 'cause I really can't exercise 5-6 times a week at the moment... If I can stick to that one, in 9 weeks I will be able to run...jog a 5k!!! So be it, 5k here I come!!! There's two runs I could test my new skills one in mid August and an other one end of September.

I'm really excited, just complete the first workout program this morning!! YAY!!! And I have to say, it was not that hard, it was demanding but pretty feasible. :carrot:

I'm a little 5'3'' woman weighing a big 201lbs... that's not good :mad: So my goal is to get down to 135lbs... 66lbs to lose using a combination of C25K and Eat-Stop-Eat. See what will come out of that.

More power to all and much exercising!! Let's all FEEL the BURN!!

free1
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi happyrunner....

I am on the same journey to my first 5K. My tentative 5k date is 6/16. However, if the training goes well, I might try one on 6/2.

I am also doing C25K. I finished W2D2 today and will likely start W3 on Saturday. It's challenging for me since I've never really run before. I've done cardio exercises but I've never really jogged. However, W2D2 felt much better than I expected.

Cheering us on :) I'll check in later this week to let you know how W2 ended and (hopefully) how the beginning of W3 went.

happyrunner
04-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Free1,

I'm going for W1D2 tomorrow...If it's anything like W1D1 it's gonna be great!! I see that a lot of people repeat a week or two...I wonder how I'll do. I really need to get the rid stride so that I don't keep my chins...

Can wait to run that 5k already!! One day at the time...(breathing)

happyrunner
04-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Week 1 complete!

Starting week 2 Sunday... wish me luck!!

free1
04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Hello HAPPYRUNNER....So, I finished W2 this week and started W3 today. I was terrified of the 3 minute run but it went great. It's been raining cats and dogs here so I switched to my gym's indoor track. My outside course has two small hills that really kill me. It was actually pleasant and felt great on the flat surface. Don't know if I should go back outdoors for the next run just to challenge myself but today was almost....easy!!! I may try W3D2 tomorrow. I know this is against the rules but I have to travel on business this week and if I don't get it done, I may have to take a 3 day hiatus in the middle of W3. Plus, I would really like to try for the 5K here on 6/2.

How's your program going? Hope all is well.

happyrunner
04-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi free1!

Congrats on your progress so far, keep it up!! Working out two days in a row is a no no but if that is the only way to make it happen I say go for it if you feel that you can. I would not dare trying at the moment: my chins are so sensitive that I really need to give them time to recover!! I will still start week 2 Sunday even though I would appreciate more time off, but I realize that working out every other day is the best scenario for me at the moment... I'm still so new at this I really don't want to lose momentum. Especially since I'm not eating clean :-(. I'm good for a while then some drama happens and I have to eat: The story of my life...sadly

happyrunner
04-15-2012, 08:19 AM
One week in
Three workouts done
Lost one pound... ONE POUND?? :?:

Well guess I have to see the good things in that situation... I did not gain any weight Yay and I'm now one pound closer to my goal....:p

I shouldn't be surprise I really did not eat wee this week so you get what you put in right?!! This week is a new week, I will lose way more lbs, just have to be good :devil:

On to week 2 with my running program, can't wait to be able to run 10min without stopping and no passions in my chins!

Good run!

DrivenByAmbition
04-15-2012, 10:05 AM
You still need to change your eating habits to produce results with any workout regimen that has to do with losing weight. You have to create a deficit. It is hard to stop old habits, but not impossible.

happyrunner
04-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Hi DrivenByAmbition,

Congrats on your progress; almost 50lbs lost THAT'S AMAZING!!

You are right... I've been dealing with bad eating habits for so long... I know it's not gonna change overnight. I think that first I need to stop myself when I turn to food every time I get overwhelmed with things.

happyrunner
04-17-2012, 07:50 AM
W2D1 completed yesterday!!! :carrot:

It was a bit more demanding that 90sec jog...my heart rate got to 174 but went down to 152 when walking so it's not too bad. Day2 tomorrow!!

My posts a bit short, have a lot to say but I'm so limited with time that I can only state the basic... :^:

Good run to all!!

free1
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Checking in...W3D3 completed. The C25K app that I use kept saying that I should remember that the 3 minute run is 3x longer than what I was running 2+ weeks ago. The 3-minute run actually felt good. In fact, W3 has been my favorite so far :). Here's to W4 and 5 minute runs. I'll rest Wednesday and Thursday and start W4 on Friday. I just might make that 6/2 5K after all!!!

As an aside, I was buying tennis shoes for my daughter yesterday and tried on the Reebok Flex running shoe for fun. It felt GREAT. I don't know if it has enough cushion since I'm a beginner but the shoe felt so light and comfortable. Might put that on my mother's day wish list. :)

happyrunner
04-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Free1,

3 minute run!!! Man I"m nervous about that one... I was even thinking that I would repeat W2 if at the 3rd workout it still feels hard :(. We"ll see... I really have to do something about my chins unless I just have to let them be and one day I wont feel them anymore... Maybe I'll put some of the muscle relaxing lotion on the before my workout tomorrow you know the A535 kind, could that help??

When I test run for shoes I was told I need extra support so I end up with some Brooks. They are ok I guess, since I don't know any better, but I will get some new ones by the end of the year...

happyrunner
04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
W2D2 done!!! Shins are killing me....

Just find out that I don't have to right running technique...I'm heel-striking instead of forefoot striking!!!

free1
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Congrats on almost finishing W2. There are some great videos on youtube on proper form. I think I watched tips from a marathoner named Ryan (don't remember last name). There is a woman who tells people how to heel strike- you may want to avoid.

W4 starts on Friday.

free1
04-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone....W4D1 finished. The 5 minute run wasn't that bad. It felt like more of a work out than the other weeks. 5K here I come....

free1
04-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Just checking in...W5D1 completed. Getting mentally prepared for D3.

happyrunner
04-29-2012, 01:26 PM
So took a brake from running, because of a BUSYYYY schedule and my shin pain drama. Got some new shoes and is back on track. Completed W2D3 yesterday and W3D1 today!! My new shoes are AMAZING, I can finally run with no pain. Now I need to keep it up, my 5k is coming... :)

free1
04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Congrats HAPPYRUNNER.....I finished W5D2 today and ran for 15 1/2 minutes straight (and then finished another 90 seconds to hit the actual 16). It felt GREAT!!! I'm ready for the 20 minute run on D3.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of running shoes did you buy?

happyrunner
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
16 minutes straight!!!!! WOW :carrot: that's so great, congrats girl! Can't wait to say the same, have to say I wonder when I'll even get to week 4 :dizzy:... One day at the time I guess.

I got the Brooks Pure Grit; was going for the Merrell Dash Glove but they were too barefoot for me. The Brooks have a little more cushion but way less then traditional running shoes, it's a nice transition shoe I guess. They were more comfortable then the Merrell when I tried them anyway. It's so great to actually run and not worry about my shins! So I'll go for W3D2 on Tuesday....wish me luck!

free1
05-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks HAPPYRUNNER....I'm going to go to my local running store and check these out.

By the way, I completed W5D3 today and the dreaded 20 minute run. I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! All 20 minutes at a nice pace without stopping. It felt good. I prayed before I started and the music was great. I felt strong and like I could've pushed a few more minutes. It really felt good and was nowhere as hard as I thought it would be. Well, on to Week 6. I feel like standing on my desk and announcing to my office that I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happyrunner
05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
That was a hard one....:dizzy: But I manage to get my workout in today, pretty late but still; W3D2 DONE!!! And let me tell you it was not easy, my body, my mind and my soul were not in tonight but I did it!!! :carrot:

I really think I'll re-do Week 3 just so I get more comfortable with the 3min run...the first one is great but the second is really hard...:(

Good run!

free1
05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Accountability check in....W6D1 finished. I ran through the walk breaks and ended up running for another 20 minutes straight. It went great until the last 4 minutes. My mind just wanted to check out but I finished. On to D2...this is the last interval run. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the intervals or just run all the way through again.

happyrunner
05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow Free1 you are my hero!!! It's seems so easy when I read your posts :) I completed W3D3 this morning and I find that I was struggling?!?! Don't really understand why 3min run is so complicated when I ran 20min non stop ok before I started the whole thing... I'm starting to think that I'm anticipating the ''walk now'' ''jog now'' instructions so much that it's trowing me off :dizzy:. Do I make sense??

So to test myself a bit, I'm gonna train tomorrow if I can or I'll simply wait until Sunday and just go as I feel, no C25K lady in my head! I'll walk and run freely and see how it goes. Now that I have my Forerunner I'll be able to really track my workout in details... That's what I'll do... Keep you posted!

happyrunner
05-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Just a little note to remind me how I don't feel any pain in my shins anymore!!! I really can't believe it...and I ran this morning!! I'm so glad. Now when will I be able to run 20min non-stop like it's a walk in the park :dizzy:

Just changed my goal weight to 125lb, at 5'3'' it's a normal weight I think :)

happyrunner
05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
So proud of myself!!!

Went for my ''free'' workout this morning. No lady to tell me when to jog or walk. I went with the flow; when I felt I could jog I did when I had to walk I did... This was my best workout to date!!! I was able to gently push my limits, without overdoing it, isn't that GREAT :carrot:

happyrunner
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Ok my new weight goal doesn't make sense....
125 by Dec 31st means I have to lose 2.1lb per week for 35 weeks :dizzy::dizzy: No plateaus no issues, systematically lose weight EVERY week??? Come on, I'll all about being positive and push myself but I think choosing an attainable goal will be more rewarding! So that said, my new goal weight is 170lb... which is a little bit less then 1lb per week. That should be ok no??

happyrunner
05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I jog/walk for 51min and cover 3.08miles!!! This is my first 3mile workout, I never went over 2.3miles on my previous ones. So happy!!! Getting better everyday! And shins and calves are great; what more can a girl ask for?!?!? On a 24hours fast until tomorrow 4pm...:^:

free1
05-06-2012, 05:08 PM
HAPPYRUNNER....I posted a big CONGRATS on the C25K thread. P.S.- The girl on your Eat Stop Eat ticker looks like me :)

I did it...W6D2. Instead of intervals, I did 22 minutes straight. The 25 minute run seems so doable now. I'll wrap up W6 on Tuesday. Then on to W7!!!

free1
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
W6D done....On to Week 7!

Cemommster
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Good job, happyrunner. thats is incredible.

free1
05-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Accountability check in...W7D1 finished!!!

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Free1 you are rocking!!! W7 you are almost there!!! Keep it up girl. :carrot:

As for me I took a little brake...not intentionally. Way too busy the past week and this week doesn't look good. :mad:

Can only hope that I'll be able to breathe and go for a run this Friday.... Unless I have a burst of energy from reaching ketosis and go for a night run...never know!! :D

I keep reminding myself that my 5k is coming up and I'm so not ready....:?:

autodidact
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Just popping in to cheer both of you on your way.

Happy runner, I have just brought some Brooks pure connect, and I love them. Great shoes.

My first 5k is less than a week now, next Sunday, so I am going to try and keep it steady this week. Short3k run tomorrow, but try to go a little faster. Wednesday, 5k, Thursday no run. Friday 3k, Saturday, no run, Sunday RACE!

free1
05-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone....W7D2 done!!! Today was all mental...I'll wrap up the week on Wednesday.

free1
05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
AUTODIDACT...All the best on your 5k this Sunday. PLEEZ let us know how it goes. Mine is 6/2. Prayerfully, I'll be joining you soon :)

W8D1 finished....28 minutes. Still can't believe it :)

happyrunner
05-19-2012, 07:33 PM
So I gave W4D1 a try and failed...:mad: I was all pumped up. Started to run (I should really say jog) and next thing I know I hear ''run''....but I'm still running?!?!? I never heard the lady say ''walk'' or did she ever???? I had jog for 5min already and couldn't keep on for another 5 so I stared walking... It threw we off so bad I could never get back so I turned off the program and just walked... :?:

I don't know why I get so stressed when I use this program, I think it's a personality thing; as if I'm so afraid that I wont make it that I get myself so worked up that I literally CAN'T do it!! It's a mind thing!!! :devil:

So this morning I've decided to try plan C. My goal is to jog non-stop for 30min or more. I don't want to do the walk-jog-walk-jog-walk... My heart can not take it. I just want to walk-jog-walk and I'm done. So since I was able to jog 5min yesterday I figured my next goal was to jog 6min or stick to my 5. Started to jog and when I felt that I had to stop I looked at my watch: I had already jogged for 8min!!!! :o I stopped at 8 and continue with my walk.

So my new goal is 9min straight or no less than 8; easy step! :D I want to workout for at least 30min, +3 times per week. Warm-up 5min - Jog ''what ever I can'' - Walk the rest of time for 30min total (or 5min cool-down when I'm able to run +20min) Make sense?!?! .:dizzy:

Like that I only prep myself (physically & mentally) for one big push and that's it, walk the rest...

I will run a 5k.... I WILL!!!! (hopefully under 45min :p)

Here's a chart that I've made to put on my fridge.

Comments, suggestions???

happyrunner
05-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Just popping in to cheer both of you on your way.

Happy runner, I have just brought some Brooks pure connect, and I love them. Great shoes.

My first 5k is less than a week now, next Sunday, so I am going to try and keep it steady this week. Short3k run tomorrow, but try to go a little faster. Wednesday, 5k, Thursday no run. Friday 3k, Saturday, no run, Sunday RACE!

You got some Brooks too!!!

Have fun on your race tomorrow!

happyrunner
05-19-2012, 10:30 PM
A better visual for the chart...

happyrunner
05-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Did my workout this morning and it was much better. It always takes me a minute to really get into it...once I pass it, my body is more comfortable and so is my breathing! I did an other 8min, that's what I could do today :p I'm still pretty happy, my goal is go for more; if not, maintain where I am; never go back!

After my WJW (walk-jog-walk) in the shower I rubbed my lower legs with some Epsom salt and it seems to help...just less tightness I think...

I weight and measure myself this morning... didn't want to see the scale but I did and I'm under 200 so that's nice...only lost 0.3lb since Wednesday... As for my measurements....really sad; but that's my reality and I'm dealing with it! :smug:

happyrunner
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Was able to jog 10min today!!!! YEAH and with much more ease!!! I'm so happy :D...still the beginning is a mind game, as if my body is doing everything to make me stop!!! :mad: But I keep telling myself that it's not suppose to be a walk in the park, it's suppose to be challenging...especially for someone that's carrying more weight then she should and haven't exercise in years!!! It can only get better right! :^:

Soon I'll be able to go for 15min and 20min and 30 and it goes on and on.... 5k here I come!!!!

Seriously for those who are able to do the C25K: you girls ROCK!!! :carrot:

free1
05-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Accountability check in....>Traveling but W8 D2 and W8D3 finished this week. Week 9 starts tomorrow.....:)

happyrunner
05-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Jogged for 12min today!!!! 12 min!!! I was going for 10 and opps I did 12!!! I'm so sosososososososo happy!!

free1
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
W9D1 done....I graduate in TWO MORE DAYS.

happyrunner
05-26-2012, 01:46 PM
So was able to run......17 whole minutes NON STOP; it was about 1.25miles. Still pretty slow but man I feel good about this!!! I'm on FIRE!!!

happyrunner
05-27-2012, 11:47 AM
25min jog this morning!!!! 25 MINUTES!!!!

free1
05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
HELLO ALL...W9D2 in the bag. One more run and I GRADUATE :)

free1
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Just had to post my final update.

TODAY I FINISHED. Yes, W9D3 in the bag :) I actually focused on running a full 5K and finished in a little under 37 minutes. Not the fastest but I did it. AND I AM A C25K GRADUATE :) :) :)

defenestrator
06-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Good job, free1! You completed the program really quickly, too! Much faster than I did.

happyrunner
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
I just jogged my first 5k in my life!!!! I will tell all the details later but I did 3.89miles in 1h02!!

happyrunner
06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Got 2 miles in today.... I actually jog 2 miles in 30 min but my total workout was 4 miles in 1h10. Didn't think I would get a 3 miles run today that's for sure!! But I hope to do it again by the end of the week :^:

happyrunner
06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Got 5.14 miles in today!!! 3.25 jog and the rest I walked!

happyrunner
06-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Took a 3 day break from running....needed rest and too busy anyway. Went this morning, since I was short on time I only was able to get 2.44miles in...not bad! Going tomorrow and hoping for get at least 3miles in! :)