View Poll Results: How long did it take you to lose 100 pounds?
6 - 9 Months 1 25.00%
9 - 12 Months 2 50.00%
12 - 15 Months 0 0%
15 - 18 Months 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/260.6/145

Talking My 100 Pound Challenge

Hi, I am Tonya from Georgia and I have had the toughest battle trying to lose weight and I was hoping for some support from all you inspiring people on this site. I have tried it all Weightwatchers, SlimFast, Working out, with no success........ but I finally figured out what was going on. I am not the type that can only eat a lil of this and a lil of that to lose weight I have to avoid certain foods or I don't lose weight. It has been 3 years since my scale has moved unfortunately but the good news is that I have found my solution because I have been working on weight loss for almost 2 weeks and I have already lost 8 pounds! So here is the run down on where I'm at in my life and my turning point...

3/27/2012 is the day I started on this eating healthy, I am not on any kind of diet- just ready to better myself.

My starting weight is 270 ugh! . I have been above 265 for 3 years due to god knows what - eating stress giving up you know the usual reasons why people put on weight... The bad part is I am only 23 years old and I am scared to death that I will be 300 pounds by the time I am 30 years old and I just don't want that. Also, I went to the doctor to find out that if I don't do something then I am at a VERY high risk of Diabetes :/. Another point to add is my husband and I have tried to conceived for a 1 year and nothing has happened and I think it has to do with my weight, actually I am pretty certain. I have so many other reasons why I need/want to lose weight it would take all day to list them.

So I have a challenge for myself and I was just wondering everyones point of view on if this is realistic or not for me to have this goal because I really need some input on people that have actually succeeded on losing 100 pounds.

My Challenge is to lose 100 pounds in 1 year. So on 3/27/2013 I want to be able to get on to the scale and weight 170. Any opinions?

I will be starting a thread for just me and my daily/weekly posts if anyone wants to be a helper for me because I am really at this alone :/.

Since I can't post links yet.... My weight totals are:

Starting Weight: 270lbs
Current Weight: 262.8lbs
Current Goal Weight: 250lbs
Old 04-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #2  
threenorns

the first time i lost 100lbs (actually 110), it took me 9mo.

the second time (it was 90), it took me about six months but that was bec i knew what i was doing from the first time.

i'm on my third (and final) round and i'm not putting any deadline on it - it will come off as it comes off but i'm *hoping* six months again.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #3  

Thank you so much for you input because I just don't want to set myself up for an impossible deadline - with me without a deadline I really lose track of what I am doing for some odd reason but that you!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

The first time I lost 100 pounds (well, 95) it took me the better part of 3 years. This time around I've figured my body out a little better, I think, so the progress will be faster, I hope. But I'm not making the mistake of giving up again this time, even if I don't meet some arbitrary timeline. That's the biggest lesson I learned from my first time doing this, so it wasn't wasted time.

To answer your question, you can absolutely lose 100 pounds in a year. But the important thing is to keep in mind that even if you don't hit some arbitrary date goal, you'll still weigh a lot less than when you started, so there's no reason to be disappointed if you only hit, say, 80 pounds. The smaller you get, the slower the weight will come off, so it's important to keep that in mind.

Last edited by thistoo; 04-08-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #5  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i am also 270 pounds and need to lose over 100 more (and trying to lose weight so we can conceive and have a healthy pregnancy)! i'm not trying to lose it as quickly as you are (also trying a new 'eating more' plan), my deadline is two years from now when my husband gets his master's degree, plus a couple months until he gets his first job... but i am willing to play along!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #6  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I'm at 70 down from late August to now so within 12 months, I'll definitely be there... hoping for within 10 but we'll see. The way my body composition is changing, I might be able to level off at 90 down but we'll see. Regardless, I've averaged 10 a month (which more in the front end of course, less more recently).
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #7  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I admire you all... You are amazing! Will be cheering you all on.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'll be here in the cheering section. I know everyone has their own reasons, plan, and schedule for losing. I also know that our bodies don't always respond the way we want. That said, I believe 100% that you can do this. I am old enough to be your grandmother - or at least your mom's very much older sister! I was over 250 pounds since before you were born. I lost 90 pounds between mid-January and October 1st of last year doing just what you're doing. Lots of veggies, some lean meat, very little white carbs. And I worked out almost every day, either at the gym or at home.

YOU CAN DO THIS. Eight pounds per month is not impossible. I had a weekly goal - it made me stay on track because falling behind wasn't in my plan. My goal was to lost 3 pounds per week for 10 weeks. That was not too bad becaue of how much i had to lose and I was really motivated at the start. Then I switched to 1% per week until I got to goal.

If you were to set a similar goal at your starting weight of 270 pounds, starting with 2.5 pounds for 10 weeks and then 1% per week after that, it will take you about 46 weeks to get to 170 pounds. That means you have 6 extra weeks in your year to just hold steady at a given weight. This will be great over the winter holidays that tend to do us all in. I found it to be hugely helpful to have a spread sheet where I recorded my weekly goal and my actual weight and how far ahead of or behind schedule I was. Actually, I managed to stay ahead of my goal, so I know you can, too. Everyone is different, but for me, a weekly goal of just a pound or 2 kept me focused. Even the goal to be down X pounds by X date didn't work as well. It was too big a picture. But to be down, say 1.9 pounds, by next Wednesday was reasonable - in my way of thinking.

You will find lots of people in here who managed it. Set up a challenge and post on a regular basis. Others will join in with whatever amount they hope to lose in the same amount of time. Don't get discouraged if you lose a t a slower rate, and realize weight loss isn't totally linear! Some weeks are better than others, and just don't get hung up on day to day weigh-ins. Many people weigh every day as a tool to stay on track but only count one day of the week as official. I always said it was like going to WW - except I was alone and naked in my bedroom.

Good luck on this. I hope you have easy sailing on this voyage. And then I hope we hear the weight loss has been put temporarily on hold to allow for a healthy pregnancy.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 04-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #9  

Wow - the comment response on here is absolutely wonderful I am starting this journey believing in myself, and myself alone. I can already tell you that it is going to be a struggle but I know that I can do this, and I am the only one that can do this on my own and you ladies are wonderful.

Thank you all for the advice and I really think I am going to continue with this goal of 100 pounds in a year, but honestly I would just be happy to be under 200 pounds again.

I get so obsessed with the scale sometimes, but I prefer weighing in everyday -- I am also going to focus in on a goal every week not the road at the end unless of course I get there.

As for eating habits right now I am only eating lean meat, greens and fruit and the occasional fiber bars for snacks. Thank you all for your input on the 100 pounds and I really need to lose more :/ but I am looking at 100 at the moment. I just gotta find ways to stay motivated and I think this forum has been added to my list of motivation and support because as most of you know having your husband as your only support doesn't help as much as you'd want it to. Follow me on my road to success!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #10  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I read countless success stories, and continue to do so. It helps make it all feel very possible, especially when it doesn't. I had to break my obsession with the scale but that was only recently and took some work. It's a journey. At this point, I'm grateful for it for I'm coming out on the other side a more whole and stronger person than I'd ever imagined!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #11  

Hi All

I started a little more than 2 weeks ago. I have 150 lbs to loose. I am doing Ideal protein and I have lost 20 lbs so far.

I have done all the diets. So far this is the best for me. I did not even cheat today. I cooked the ham and potatos and even got a cake and candy for the kids. I made my own meal. I want this so bad.

I wish everyone the best.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I decided to give myself a year and see what happened. My theory was I was going to go for a year eating healthy and exercising. I have been at it 10 months and have lost 102 lbs.
No matter how much weight you loose, give yourself a year to be healthier and really take care of yourself. The year is going to go by weather you eat healthy or eat badly so try it and see. You can do this.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #13  

Thank you Madame - I know I can I just gotta keep moving!!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #14  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think one of the most important things to remember is ther is no deadline. Take it one day at a time and do your best you can for that day. If you get so fixated on a weight and a date, it can be hard to keep motivated. Just one day, one good decision at a time.

With that said, I lost 80 pounds in 11 months. I've been pretty much stuck since (the last 5 months). Part of it is I'm not unhappy at this size and part of it is disruptions in my routine and part of it is that dreaded last 15-20 pounds which aree hard to work off.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #15  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

It took me 3 years to lose 100 lbs. Part of it was the fact that I'm not the fastest loser in the world but most of it was my fault. How so? Well, 1.) I decided from the beginning that whatever I did had to be sustainable, I had to be willing to eat that way forever, so that meant not giving up certain things, and settling for a slower weight loss, 2.) I took two 6-month long maintenance breaks where I wasn't soooo on plan (i.e. strictly counting calories) but still kind of tried to make healthy choices and weighed every couple of weeks to stay on track.

However, it is totally more than possible for you to lose 100lbs within a year. And whether you get there or not, you'll be close enough if you stay on plan, that you won't regret having started this year.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 04-09-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Closed Thread