Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/281/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Any ideas for dealing with pain while exercising when obese?

I am currently at 281 pounds. I am now eating healthfully and doing WW Points. I have been working out 1 hour a day on the treadmill at 3mph. I have so much pain, though! I have plantar fasciitis (heel inflammation, usually caused by obesity) and my back hurts when I walk for several minutes at a time.

I really want to keep up this exercise, as I am having weight-loss success and I sincerely want to get healthy. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the pain when exercising at high weights. If so, any tips for pushing through it? Is it better to keep on with exercise, as I know I will feel completely comfortable with it after I lose more weight, or should you lose a good amount first before attempting exercise.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Rebecca8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

You might need to change up what you do - like maybe doing strength training to start out (you can get some handweights and do a video). And for sure START SLOW.

I started with walking in place to the Wii game "Walk it Out". Now I can do basically anything I want to - but if you were to add a 83 pound pack to my body, I certainly couldn't!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #3  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

How about those cardio bikes? They're less impact (on your feet). The "skiing" machine (okay I forgot the real name of it) at the gym is also less impact. Nevertheless, the bike, the treadmill, the skiing machine... It's all cardio so it'll technically do the same thing for you. Maybe switch to the bike or skiing machine until your feet hurt you less. :/ I'm assuming it'll go away or at least lessen considerably after maybe you hit 240 or so
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had plantar fasciitis many times and it's very difficult to get it healed without rest.

Are you seeing a doctor for it,getting any meds (such as steroid pills or injections?)

I'd recommend that you tak to your doctor about the best exercise for avoiding pain and further injury.

Both back and foot pain/fasciitis can be mild or serious, so there is no one-size-fits-all advice that we should be giving you. Depending on your issues, exercising while experiencing pain could be the best or worst thing for you.

You need a doctor's input (ideally a pediatrist for the fasciitis).

I have several medical issues that cause pain, and I've learned that it's safe for me to exercise with some types of pain, and not others - but to learn I had to learn partly from experience, but also from medical advice from doctors I trusted.

I recommend getting most of your learning from medical advice, because some of the things I learned through experience I wouldn't have had to learn if I'd gotten the medical advice when I should have (for example walking on a broken foot for over a year, because I thought the pain was just from being fat).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I started at 284+ as well (probably higher, 284 was when I had the courage to get on the scale). I couldn't do much and I also had Plantar-like symptoms.

I tried the treadmill on an incline several years ago and it was too much. I hated doing it and had to force mysefl to engage each time. This weight loss round, I switced to Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone and it was EXCELLENT. Great for low impact but a good work out. Her miles have 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 mile options. I started with the 2, worked my way up to a 3 and have reached the 5 now. It really helped to get me in shape and tone my body. I now do Tae Bo and am training for a 5K but Leslie was the real basis for my weight loss so far. I've gone from a 24W to a 12-14 regular now (and still going).

Find something you ENJOY. It's enough of a mental battle just to exercise, doing something you enjoy will only help...Cheering you on
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #6  
too big to fail

Rest, rest, rest! It is so important to give your heels a rest for a few days when you are having trouble. You could really do some damage if you overwork your joints and tendons. Swimming is excellent for obese people because it doesn't put stress on your weight-bearing joints. I find the recumbent bicycle is also very helpful. You might also try doing weight lifting stuff on alternating days with cardio gives your feet a chance to rest. Be patient and if in doubt, sit it out! You can do major damage to the joints and then you might find yourself a candidate for surgery! Not worth it!
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/150

Height: 5'0"

Do you have access to an elliptical machine? I have the same issues with my feet, and I find that the elliptical makes my feet hurt so much less. I try to do the ellipitcal 3 days a week, and the treadmill the other 2 (just not 2 in a row...ouch!). Good luck!
aniela26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #8  
threenorns

about pain in your back while walking:

first, your shoes - us fluffier types need to pay more attention than our slimmer sisters to our shoes. that means a proper fitting, a proper WALKING shoe (not a runner, not a cross-trainer, not an aerobic dance shoe, not a skateboard shoe, etc), and spending the money. yes, it hurts to pay $100 (approx) for a pair of shoes you'll probably have worn out in about 6mo, but your feet are your foundation - if your feet cannot do their job correctly, then the problems spread all the way up your musculoskeletal system. proper shoes will also alleviate foot problems while shoes that are wrong for the purpose, of poor quality, or just plain blown out will cause them.

secondly, your posture.

DO NOT lean forward - you shouldn't be hanging onto the handle at all. if you have to, slow the speed down. you should be walking with an upright posture, arms swinging freely and naturally, shoulders down and open (not hunched forward or up around your ears), abs held tight, and bum tucked under.

slouching forward, rounding out your shoulders, and letting your stomach pooch forward puts a helluva strain on your lumbar vertebrae.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-07-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #9  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Do you have access to a pool? You don't even have to know how to swim as water walking is great for exercise; you even get extra support and very low impact due to being in the water.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I also have plantar fasciatis that flares up from time to time, and I noticed that it gets worse if I wear shoes that have a really flat heel. Look at your shoes you wear most often. Some althletic shoes have a little higher heel and that type works best for me. I am not an authority on the subject, it's just my own experience.

Also, there are exercises you can do to help it. Sitting in a chair, hold your leg out straight in front of you and slowly flex your foot. Pull your toes toward you while pushing your heel away from you. As you do this you will feel the pain in your heel, but stretching that muscle seems to help. Just make sure you take it slow and easy.

Also, maybe you can separate your walking into 3 20 minute sessions. This won't put so much strain on your feet all at the same time.

Good luck to you!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Quote:
Also, maybe you can separate your walking into 3 x 20 minute sessions. This won't put so much strain on your feet all at the same time.

I agree with taking your walking down to smaller increments -- some people have even started out at 10-15 minutes. Then put your feet up for some time afterwards to rest them. Maybe do some reading, writing, meal planning, etc during that time. Do you find walking outdoors as painful, or when you are walking around your home? Or is it just on the treadmill? That might be worth noting ...

Rowing machines, weight machines, and swimming are easier on the feet and still burn energy. Walk off the lbs tapes and dancing are also easier on the feet as well. Maybe you could switch it up until your feet have some time to heal well. Hope you are feeling better soon ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #12  
on a mission

S/C/G: 294/restart!!!

Height: 5'1

I started exercising after I lost my first 12 lbs, which put me at 282. Which is a pound more than you and I can honestly say my heel was in a lot of pain after working out. So what I did was buy me some good shoes! That is very very important and was the first thing I did.
Next tone it down a bit until you lose a little more weight. If it still is bothering you, get yourself an icepack or frozen waterbottle and put on heel for a good 20 mins. It will be your bestfriend, I promise.
After you lose some weight the heel pain will fade. Took me losing 29 pounds for it to fully go away. But boy am I relieved and have no pain after working out now.
Don't worry it'll get better with in a little time.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

Maybe you would like a mini trsmpoline. I got one recently and I can bounce on it for 20 minutes straight before my calf's hurt. When walking at the park I generally have to break every 6 minutes for my sore feet...the trampoline absorbs all the shock and I can bounce while watching Tv and it really goes by fast! I'm just jogging in place for now and nothing too vigerous. I don't actually jump and take my feet off the mat.

I also read that its more effective than a treadmill and excellent for your body in more ways than just exerscize! Mine will support 250lbs and I got it at walmart. I know they make ones for 350lbs. Maybe at a sporting goods store? They're also very small and easy to put away.
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I get foot pain with treadmill. So, I started elliptical. That is the best. If you cannot, walk 2 minutes and gradually increase. Within 2 -3 weeks you will start walking 1/2 an hour. Elliptical burns more calories too.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #15  
threenorns

i second the rebounder - i bought mine for my daughter bec she was too heavy to use the kiddie bouncer at the day care (the weight limit was only 50lbs and she was a *very* heavy 2yr old).

here's the thing: if you can afford it, buy a GOOD one - not the one like i've got, which ran me all of $30 on sale. the springs are metal, short, and rigid so unless i'm very careful with my posture and keeping my knees soft (not locked), it's a nasty jarring impact on my lower back that doesn't feel very good at all.

one reason i'm so focussed on rebounding every day is i have a prolapse problem with associated stress incontinence - i've read all over the place that rebounding can help with this and i might be able to avoid surgery to have everything trussed back up into place.

that would be very nice.