Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #1  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Default Can we talk about body shapers?

I know, I know, this topic has been covered many times. I did search and go through old posts, I promise. But I would like to hear some opinions from other ladies who've been where I am (i.e. obese.)

Here's the deal: I am down about 50 pounds from my all-time high weight, and I've re-lost just over 20 pounds so far this year. I'm still up 40+ pounds from my low weight, however, so obviously I'm not fitting back into my 'skinny' clothes.

I'm going on vacation in May and I've got some dresses I really want to wear while I'm out of town. The dress I'm wearing today is an XL, and it's waaaaay too big on top. My size L dresses fit fine in the top, but they're still a little clingy in the derriere region, if you will.

My problem is that I lose weight up top first, and a lot more slowly on the bottom. I think I could get away with some of my smaller dresses if I a) drop a few more pounds, and b) find the right shape wear to pull things in. I've used some generic ones in the past and they've been okay, but I have a fat roll on the top of my stomach that tends to make things roll.

So my very long-winded question is this: What body shapers do you recommend for helping out in with the junk in the trunk? And have you found any that don't roll? (I realize fat distribution is different on everyone, so my rolling mileage will vary from someone else's.)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #2  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I've used SPANX and the Target line, the Assets by Sara Whatever who makes spanx. They are the same, only cheaper, lol.

I also have a slimming tank I got from Torrid, and it does its job pretty well... Although I've only used shapewear for my mid section, as I'm an apple shape.

If you want to go with spanx, try ebay, I'll save you some cashola. And pay attention to the size charts.

GL!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't have any brand names for you, but what about trying the kind that come up higher in the waist (just below the chest); OR a one-piece whole body (I mean, trunk) one? They come with a built-in bra, OR without one now (for those of us with uneven size issues going on). I saw one (without the bra) in a Sears catalogue (spring & summer), if you get that there.

They may be a bit more costly but if they are more comfortable, it would be worth it. I find the ones that are high enuff to come up over my tummy don't roll down like the shorter ones do; and of course, the one-piece whole body ones can't roll becuz they have shoulder straps ...

OK, the braless bodyshaper is called ~ SOLUTIONS made by "SECRET" for $40.00; they also have the bra one called a Bodysuit for $28.00 at Sears (same brand).

And, the other kind are made by "BODYWRAP" but they are much more expensive (almost double) ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #4  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I've used SPANX and the Target line, the Assets by Sara Whatever who makes spanx. They are the same, only cheaper, lol.
I was thinking about swinging by Target tomorrow to check out the store brand. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
I don't have any brand names for you, but what about trying the kind that come up higher in the waist (just below the chest); OR a one-piece whole body (I mean, trunk) one? They come with a built-in bra, OR without one now (for those of us with uneven size issues going on). I saw one (without the bra) in a Sears catalogue (spring & summer), if you get that there.

They may be a bit more costly but if they are more comfortable, it would be worth it. I find the ones that are high enuff to come up over my tummy don't roll down like the shorter ones do; and of course, the one-piece whole body ones can't roll becuz they have shoulder straps ...

OK, the braless bodyshaper is called ~ SOLUTIONS made by "SECRET" for $40.00; they also have the bra one called a Bodysuit for $28.00 at Sears (same brand).

And, the other kind are made by "BODYWRAP" but they are much more expensive (almost double) ...
I read somewhere that the full body ones that have the shoulder straps are kind of weird, i.e. the straps have a tendency to slide off. It probably depends on how your shoulders are shaped. (Also I'm a little worried about the number of times a day I have to pee. i.e. A LOT.) They carry the Dr. Rey bodysuit on the Sears website, and I think it's on Amazon too. Amazon also carried the Flexees.

The all-the-way-to-the-chest option might work for my rolling problem. I'll look at Target tomorrow and if I don't find what I need I'll check online again. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Last edited by thistoo; 04-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

I got Spanx off of QVC, for they were on flexpay, or whatever they call it. Expensive. Anyway, love mine! Way more comfortable than I thought it would be.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #6  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I am yet to find one that fits comfortably. I think I'm just too odd shaped -LOL-
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #7  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm.. i use bodywraps ...i find them at a penningtons or an Additon Elle in the pantie and bra section...They have some for bigger cabooses and some for bigger top women... I have used the one that starts at the upper thigh and shapes you all the way up to your chest...it works very nice for slimming the bumps and lumps out..and the legs too..it really does seem to take off a couple inches and help your clothes fit better.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I prefer real, laced corsets for any serious shaping beyond a little panty line smoothing, but my Rago cincher or Spanx are both excellent for what they do - smooth a little bumpiness.

My issues with Spanx-type shapewer is I felt they didn't breathe well. Also, I have found that Spanx and similar control garments actually can make me look a bit rounder because they compress the fat on my hips and belly evenly, meaning I end up shaped less like an oval (from the top view) and more like a tube. It minimizes flattering curves as well as unflattering, and that's not the look I'm usually going for. For any control beyond light to medium, I'd suggest boned shape wear instead of spandex.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 04-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/170

Height: 5'3

I have a weird shaped body... my hips are 14 inches larger than my waist so a lot of dresses are huge on top and tight on the bottom. I rely on the Target Assets when I want to wear a dress. I find it gives the right amount of support where I need it to make me look curvy instead of odd shaped. What I like most about this brand is that the high waist goes all the way up to my bra so I can kinda tuck it under the bra and it actually stays up even when I sit down. I've never once had to worry about it falling down. I suppose this could be because I"m only 5'3 but I really like not worrying about it slipping down.
kwigg619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #10  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
For any control beyond light to medium, I'd suggest boned shape wear instead of spandex.
I agree with you, but for the part of my body I want to shape I am kind of stuck with the lycra option, I think. At least my waist is already small! Silver lining. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwigg619 View Post
I have a weird shaped body... my hips are 14 inches larger than my waist so a lot of dresses are huge on top and tight on the bottom. I rely on the Target Assets when I want to wear a dress. I find it gives the right amount of support where I need it to make me look curvy instead of odd shaped. What I like most about this brand is that the high waist goes all the way up to my bra so I can kinda tuck it under the bra and it actually stays up even when I sit down. I've never once had to worry about it falling down. I suppose this could be because I"m only 5'3 but I really like not worrying about it slipping down.
I think we have the same weird shape! Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know. I will hit Target tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post

My issues with Spanx-type shapewer is I felt they didn't breathe well. Also, I have found that Spanx and similar control garments actually can make me look a bit rounder because they compress the fat on my hips and belly evenly, meaning I end up shaped less like an oval (from the top view) and more like a tube. It minimizes flattering curves as well as unflattering, and that's not the look I'm usually going for. For any control beyond light to medium, I'd suggest boned shape wear instead of spandex.
I have to agree with the non-natural shape they spandex type shapewear gives. I still wear them from time to time, especially with skirts to prevent chafing, but I'm not crazy about the shape.

How I did try on a smoothing, boned bustier a few weeks ago and while the cup size was completely wrong, the rest of my mid-section looked much better.

Back to the original question, I have a pair of spanx that I can literally tuck into my bra if I wanted. I bought it that way because of a rolling problem I had with my previous pair.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I have to jump in here and recommend finding a seamstress!

I love Spanx and corsets. I have a "figure eight" shape meaning I have a lotta boob and a lotta lower stomach. I frequently buy a dress that hangs well on my stomach and then have a seamstress take it in everywhere else. It costs me a little more but it is totally worth it.

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 04-05-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #13  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
I have to jump in here and recommend finding a seamstress!

I love Spanx and corsets. I have a "figure eight" shape meaning I have a lotta boob and a lotta lower stomach. I frequently buy a dress that hangs well on my stomach and then have a seamstress take it in everywhere else. It costs me a little more but it is totally worth it.
An excellent suggestion! Luckily my mom is a pretty good seamstress, so she takes things in for me sometimes, or talks me through doing it myself. If I had any dresses right now that I loved and wanted to hang onto, I'd go that route, but mostly I just want to fit into my smaller dresses again. I will have to take a couple of them in once I get smaller for sure.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I just said this somewhere else, but I really like the Spanx shorts. Power Panties are the ones that come up to your waist, Higher Power come up to your bra. I tuck them right under my bra and they stay put. I find them much cooler and more comfortable than cheaper brands that I've tried. Just be honest with your size and they should fit fine. BTW, I'm a belly fat chick - my upper belly is bigger than below my waist.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I have worn both of these, always helped me look better in clothes, not always comfortable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firm-Full-Bo...#ht_2358wt_922

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Body-Sh...#ht_2480wt_922
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote