Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default How is this for a reverse non scale victory - a nonscale loss

Last week I went to the mall to see if there were any swimsuits in cup sizes just to see how they would look. I was at Lord and Taylor. A sales associate asked if I needed help and I said "Yes, I'm trying to see if you have any suits with larger cup sizes - like for DD cups and bigger". She says yes, they have some on this rack (a few D cup suits that look more like B cups) and says, "And we also have a few cup size suits in the women's section." I ask, "Are those plus size suits." And she said, "Yes.".

Talk about going from feeling "Maybe I can wear a nice suit this year" to "She thinks I still need plus sizes, so I must look so big!" fast!!! Of course, I then take note that she's about 20 years old, no more than 5'1" tall and SUPER tiny build - probably wears a size 0 or smaller. I probably DO look plus sized to her.

Ah, perspective!!!! I'm between a size 8 and 10. A 1X swimsuit will fall off me! But to her - an 8-10 is huge too.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 04-03-2012 at 01:35 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Maybe she didn't assume you were looking for yourself???
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I think very young girls/ladies think "normal" women's sizes are huge because many of them can wear those tiny junior's clothes. My coworker has a daughter that is the younger version of her. However, mom clearly wears a much bigger size than her tiny little teenage daughter, and you can see the difference in the mature development of a woman as she fills out. My coworker is very fit, and yet her daughter next to her is unbelievably small! Once again, just a perspective thing. Those teeny little ones will figure it out when everything develops!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #4  
too big to fail

An ignorant clerk does not a non-scale loss make.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #5  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

now now, you asked her where the cup suits are and she told you where - here and over there. She didn't bring up plus size until you asked...

Last edited by Vex; 04-03-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Perspective is everything! I know that my own mental image of ME doesnt change much, everyone around me just shrinks or grows.

As an aside: The only place I have ever found cup size swimming suits that ACTUALLY fit and support my size is unfortunately Athleta. I say that because the suits are pricey but I was actually able to find a 32-34DD suit that was really truly 32-34DD. Also since tankinis are sold separately, I could get the bottoms that fit because most suits that fit a 32DD are HUGE through the hips on me. I am NOT proportional!!! You can usually choose between matching boy shorts, full coverage bottom or bikini (heh...no thanks, no way, not ever!) that match the top and the tankini tops are long enough to meet up with the bottoms.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Ouch. I know it's difficult for someone who has never been overweight to understand, but when you are clearly not a plus-sized person such comments sting a bit. I guess her thinking really isn't a surprise because her thought process seems to follow the thoughts of many clothing designers. Big chest = large size over all, small chest = small overall size (this is coming from a very flat chested overweight person). Maybe someday they will both realize the errors in their logic.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Ouch. I know it's difficult for someone who has never been overweight to understand, but when you are clearly not a plus-sized person such comments sting a bit. I guess her thinking really isn't a surprise because her thought process seems to follow the thoughts of many clothing designers. Big chest = large size over all, small chest = small overall size (this is coming from a very flat chested overweight person). Maybe someday they will both realize the errors in their logic.
One can only pray. Someday maybe I could find a button down shirt? Please?

But I do agree with Vex, she didnt direct you to plus size, you asked if there were plus suits in the womens dept. It doesnt follow that ALL the suits in the womens dept are plus size -

Last edited by ennay; 04-03-2012 at 02:09 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Did you happen to notice if there were any suits in about a size10 or 12 in "flat?" those are hard to find, too. Small bust does not mean small person! I guess we just have to laugh or we'd all just cry.

BBB - you've come way too far to give any credit to her comment. good luck with your quest for a swim suit. I'm sure you'll look fantastic!

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #10  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Maybe she meant because you have big ones that a plus size would fit the girls better than the regular size one?(like you said the D's looked like B's)

I once went into Blame Betty and I bought my zombie dress which was a L and when I went to try on this monster dress the XXL didn't even fit me! That was insulting! Even at my heaviest I wasn't XXL, I was XL. blah! lol
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #11  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
Maybe she didn't assume you were looking for yourself???
OK this is true. My mind went immediately "there" as I guess I'm still not immune to feeling super big.

But then on the other hand, who would be looking for a suit for someone else? Though again, it could be my daughter (if I had one) and I might be looking for cup sizes for her and when I found some (if I found some) I could swing her by to check them out.

OK, tis true, but my mind still says she was thinking the opposite.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #12  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
Did you happen to notice if there were any suits in about a size10 or 12 in "flat?" those are hard to find, too. Small bust does not mean small person! I guess we just have to laugh or we'd all just cry.

BBB - you've come way too far to give any credit to her comment. good luck with your quest for a swim suit. I'm sure you'll look fantastic!

Lin
Tis true - swimsuits are for the not flat and the not busty. Why????

And you are right... and it caught me off guard too! (And I did find one online. Hopefully it will be great!)
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Perspective is everything! I know that my own mental image of ME doesnt change much, everyone around me just shrinks or grows.

As an aside: The only place I have ever found cup size swimming suits that ACTUALLY fit and support my size is unfortunately Athleta. I say that because the suits are pricey but I was actually able to find a 32-34DD suit that was really truly 32-34DD. Also since tankinis are sold separately, I could get the bottoms that fit because most suits that fit a 32DD are HUGE through the hips on me. I am NOT proportional!!! You can usually choose between matching boy shorts, full coverage bottom or bikini (heh...no thanks, no way, not ever!) that match the top and the tankini tops are long enough to meet up with the bottoms.
I was looking at Athleta, but ended up ordering a Fantasie suit. I'm larger than a DD in most bras. (I say most because sometimes I can fit a DD, but usually a DDD or G). It should arrive in a few days!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #14  

Height: 5'2"

i don't think it was the clerk as much as it was the store. i'm a mere b cup, so i don't share your struggle..but i know girls who have big busts and unfortunately for most clothing stores: big bust = big person. so when you asked about larger cup size, she directed you to the only larger cup sizes they had: plus size.

just a thought! i saw your other thread on swimsuits and i would definitely not rank you as "plus size".
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

This is why I order suits online. Needing a medium with an I cup is hard to find in stores, but a 1X with DD cups isn't right at all!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote