40-Somethings - 40-Something chat in April!

View Full Version : 40-Something chat in April!

NEMom
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
P&P - I hope you do not get mad that I started an April chat. I can't believe it is April already, where does time go? My daughter has one month of college before she is done for the summer. Can't believe she is just about done with 2 years of college. Time goes too fast.

My weight is holding around 154.6 (lowest ever) and 156. I like the lower myself but my scale does not always agree. Sigh.
I exercise 5 times a week and have added in some DVD's 2 times a week that focus on my fat thighs. Did one of the works out this morning and it felt good. Last Thursday was not so good so I am glad I felt better about it this morning.
My daughter wants to do a bootcamp class with me while she is home this summer. I have completed 2 and really enjoyed them so I am looking forward to working out with her.

Peri-Last summer I really want to run. I took a class that was designed to help you design a running program (very similar to C25K program). Three weeks in and my knees were KILLING me. I ended up getting tendonitis in my knees, it was painful. Now I see all the runners out with the nice weather and I am envious but scared to try again. It is important to find an exercise YOU enjoy. I use my elliptical at least 3 times a week and love mine.

Happy Tuesday all.

andrew80k
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Checking in. I can't believe it's already April and I've been at this for 3 months. 3 months and almost 30 pounds and 7% BF. I'm still sticking to my plan and it's still working so no need to mess with it at this point. Kind of a slow week last week, though I ran twice and lifted 3 days. Didn't seem to make a lot of progress, but I didn't gain either. This week I'm trying to stay focused on my eating and exercise.

And being a Kentucky fan, I just wan't to say Congrats to the 'Cats on a remarkable season. :)

kandyrews
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I can't believe it's April already. April and I fell off the wagon around mid March. Well I was sick one week, then had a migraine the next now this week my belt on my treadmill is off center at the top. Hubby fixed it once, but now it's off at the bottom. So gotta wait on him to fix it again...who knows when that'll be. Meantime, I have lost a whopping 2 pds down from 175 to 173. I don't know how I lost anything, guess from not eating as much where I was sick. As soon as hubby fixes my treadmill again, I hope to get back on it. I've tried twice now to get on it only to find the belt slipped. Fate just isn't on my side right now. Meantime, I have taken the dog on a few short walks.

guacamole
04-03-2012, 01:05 PM
NEMom - congrats on the loss and the exercise. You are in a groove!

andrew80k - you are doing great. Slow progress is still progress, and look how much you have achieved overall! Fantastic!

kandyrews - hope you are feeling better. It is great that you managed to lose weight even with your illness and treadmill problems.

I am stuck at 159lbs, but I remember in January/February I was stuck at 169lbs - so, I'd rather be here at 159! Hope to get the scale moving again, but I'll be grateful just to maintain over the next few weeks of family gatherings and big family meals. Staying strong today.

Good luck, everyone!

kandyrews
04-04-2012, 11:34 AM
NEMom 216 to 154 wow great job! and guacamole 159 pounds down from 212 that is awesome! And andrew80k 253 down to 183 that's so great! I hope to one day be as successful at losing weight as all of ya'll. If I could just lose 40 pounds, I'd be happy. Heck losing anything at this point makes me happy.

patchworkpenguin
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
NE, Heavens, no, I'm not mad! glad you started a new thread! :D

I'm trying to figure out a new plan. Obviously what I'm doing isn't working to lose, just maintain. I'm tried of trying so hard without result and losing/gaining the same few lbs.

defenestrator
04-04-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a back injury this week that is keeping me from running. I'm a bit frustrated. Trying to stay on plan with eating.

NEMom
04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Have you every just had moments when a light bulb clicks in your head and you think "Maybe that is why . . (insert whatever)'. Once I reached my initial goal, I did not change my eating plan but I did add in strength exercise and protein to try and build muscle. For the most part, my weight loss has stalled and I finally figured out that maybe what people say is true, muscle weighs more than fat which is my my clothing size has gone down but the scale has not followed. I can tell that I am building muscle. When I flex my legs, I can see and feel the muscles in my calves and thighs, its kinda cool. Don't know why the light bulb finally went on but I am feeling more successful and better about things now.

Andrew-Hang in there, you have lost almost 30lbs in three months and your body fat is down 7%, that is HUGE. You are doing GREAT!

guacamole-You have had an amazing loss. Slow and steady wins the race. I am not huge on blogging and actually hope no one reads mine on this site however, blogging on this site throughout my weight loss helped me because I could go back and see how much progress I have made.

P&P-I am sorry you are not happy with your plan. I hope you find one that works better for you. Keep up with your exercise and don't give up! You can do it!

Kandy-Congrats on your 2lb loss! I would be dancing in the streets if I had a 2lb loss. You can absolutely do this. You ARE doing it! It took me over 10 months to lose my weight and it could be very frustrating that it took so long. But I am so glad I stayed committed and you will be too!

defenestrator-Ouch! I hope your back heals soon.

TechAlum
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I keep popping in then disappearing for weeks. Not much to report the last two weeks have been pretty sad, for some reason I was blue last week and slipped back into my old ways, this week the big bad PMS hit (could explain last week too) and I haven't been doing as well as I could be. I really need to develop a plan to get thru the day, I've gotten better at planning dinners but if I don't eat well during the day I don't stick to the plan....I also need to get back to the exercise/gym.

Andrew - wow 30lbs on 3 months I'm impressed.

NEMom - Yea on the smaller size/better fitting clothes. And I'm sorry this is just a pet peeve of mine: muscle does not weigh more than fat! A pound is a pound is a pound. It does however take up less space for the same weight, hence the better fitting clothes (sorry it's the engineer in me). I'm enjoying the blogging too. Although the last two weeks have been sparse go figure...

Defenstrator - hope your backs on the mend.

Patch - I know what you mean, good luck on that new plan.

Guacamole - slow and steady wins the race (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself).

Well I should get moving, eat lunch and get the house cleaned, we're hosting family for Easter.

Have a great day everyone.

tigga
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi All,
Ok I figure I have to jump back in some time
started new diet and exercise plan in Feb. down 28 pounds
I want to keep losing while I am getting stronger
any diet secrets?

Finny321
04-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi all! I love reading about the successes, they make me realize this is doable. Thank you to all for sharing.

I'm staying on plan and getting my exercise in. I will hopefully be starting a new job soon, which will help. If I'm busy I have less time to think about food!

I'm off to walk my dog and then get the house cleaned up!

kandyrews
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Well I've been eating better again, still not great, but much better and I'm back on the treadmill for 35 minutes a day 5 days a week. I just started again last week, but somehow lost 1 more pound...I'll take it. 1 pd is 1 pd. So that's 3 pds total in the last 2 weeks. Now down from 180 to 172. It's a start.

NEMom
04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Hope you all had a nice Easter. I ate too much of course but limited it to one serving of dessert. This is progress for me as in the past I would have eat dessert all night long.
Went to my doctor for the first time since I have lost the majority of my weight. She walks in and says "Do you know you lost over 50lbs in a year??" I am grinning from ear to ear, and said really its 60lb since I started. I showed her my muscles and she was so proud of me. It was a nice appt for a change.

Finny32-Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are off to a great start!

Kandy-Glad your hubby got your treadmill working. Congrats on the loss. All pounds lost add up. Keep going. You CAN DO IT!
TechAlbum- Sorry you have had a rough couple of weeks. Keep pushing on the best you can, it will pay off in the long run.

tigga- Welcome to the forum. No secrets. I counted calories and added in exercise and drank lots of water. My weight loss was not fast but it has been the best thing I have done for myself. You can do it Girl!

NEMom
04-11-2012, 09:45 AM
I was finally able to lower my ticker today by a couple of pounds. The scale has constantly stayed around 153 for a week. It has been so long since I have changed it that I almost forgot how.
I work out in the mornings, 5 days a week and I slept through my alarm today. Not the, I don't want to get up and roll over but I do not even remember hearing it go off so obviously did not get my work out in this morning. It really throws my whole day off, I know one day is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but I still feel really guilty about it. If it warms up, I am gonna try for a walk this afternoon to get some kind of exercise in.
I am hoping all of you are having a wonderful week! Happy hump day all!

patchworkpenguin
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Sorry to have waddled off. Among other things I did 45min weights today.

Today after Bible study one of my friend took me and another lady who both have birthdays this month out to lunch; we had both made handmade gifts for her new twin grandsons earlier in the year, and this was her thank you. :hug:

Hubby has taken Fri - Mon off this week and his 'off days' will change to Sun Mon. We are hoping to get some projects done around the house. Sat my parents are coming over for dinner.

NE, Yay, on the loss!

tinamparker
04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi all,
I started ww 5 weeks ago and have lost 21 lbs but have just started to add walking to my daily routine. I started Easter Sunday just to get away from all the candy eating going onin my house lol. i have walked every day except yesterday (i have a virus) and I really missed it. Never thought I would say that lol. This time around some kind of light bulb went off in my head and I am not having a problem sticking to my program. I guess it just took me turning 45 to finally see the light.

defenestrator
04-12-2012, 10:57 AM
tina -- great work! I think that post-holiday is a great time to start again.

My back injury is in much better shape. I worked for nearly three days straight on Easter weekend, which led to me getting a head cold. Feeling fatigued and lacking in motivation, but I managed to run/walk 4 miles this morning anyway. Weight is steady -- I didn't gain through the week of not working out at least.

In general, I'm feeling a little bit of spring energy. I think that the next couple months are going to be big for my weight loss.

Finny321
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm happy to read your back injury is starting to feel better, defenestrator!

Great job tina, walking is such a great exercise.

I had an (almost) 2lb loss this week. I am really motivated this time to lose the weight and have stayed on plan. I just got my CNA license, and will hopefully be a LPN student in the fall. It is hard enough going back to school at 43, I don't want to be overweight and out of shape. I need my stamina for work and school.

Sounds like you had a great day patchworkpenguin.

NEMom, I hope you got a walk in. Congrats on the scale moving down.

tigga
04-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi All
weigh in today lost 2 pounds

patchworkpenguin
04-13-2012, 07:47 PM
We spent the day running errands then painting the blue/grey foundation of our house more of a dark terracotta to blend with the brick sides. We painted the porches with a non-skid paint a few years ago but thought the color was too light so hopefully we will like the darker color better. We bought more porch paint in the same dark color so you guys know what we will be doing tomorrow.

patchworkpenguin
04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
My parents came over for dinner this evening. I made veggie lasagna which I've never made before, but I used my regular recipe just omitted the meat. I didn't use pasta noodles but used slices of roasted butternut squash which was very good. I saw Anne Burrell do this one her cooking show once but she didn't put the recipe/method up on the website so I guessed a little but it worked out well. I cut slices, roasted them on sheetpans then layered them into the lasagna. Worked great!

We finished painting the foundation but Hubby is painting the front porch, but we may have to go back for more paint to finish the back. Joy! More painting. He rolls while I 'cut in' afterwards.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Sparx
04-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi 40 somethings sorry I've not checked in for a while I just wanted to share my mini goal achievement with you as of weigh in today I have lost over 50lbs, thanks to all of you here!!! you have helped and inspired me :D

Finny321
04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
That sound delicious penguin. I do something with eggplant or zucchini as the 'noodle'! I love butternut squash. Sounds like you paint like my husband and I do, I have the eye for detail, while he slops it on!

Congrats Sparx and tigga!

NEMom
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Happy Monday all! My weekend went so fast, I can't believe its already Monday. Ugh. I did not have an on-plan weekend and my scale showed it this morning. My goal for this week is to have 5 on-plan food days because this weekend we are celebrating my birthday and I know the food (alcohol intake) will be above normal.

defenestrator- I am glad you are feeling better!

P&P- You want to come paint my house? Our trim needs to be scrapped and painted. Hoping to get it done this summer. I have so many home projects that I need to work on, it makes my head spin. I use to be so on top of things but the last couple of years have really let things slide. I have two years before our next graduation and need to gradually get some projects done. Seems like a long time but its not really. Your dinner sounded so good. I need to start cooking more.

Sparx & Tigga - Congrats on your weight loss!!! You girls are doing an amazing job!!

NEMom
04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
*crickets* crickets*

Where did all my fabulous 40 friends go??????

HappyTurtle
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Well, I'm new. Just turned 40 in Jan and have put on 10 lb since then, due to stress eating and a sit on my butt all day job.

The question I have is how do you convince yourself that you WILL lose weight? Every time I've tried to diet, I gain weight. Then if I'm not paying attention, not dieting, I usually maintain or even lose a little. Any real associations I have with losing more than 10 lbs have always been negative, like when I was really sick or severely stressed.

I am trying to change my thinking, but having a really tough time "picturing" myself less heavy. Help!!

Finny321
04-19-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm down 2lbs this week. I start a full time job Saturday, doing CNA work. I'm hoping it will kick my weight loss a bit higher!

When P&P is done with your house maybe she can do mine?

NEMom
04-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Happy turtle - two things helped me the most this time. First was tossing out the word diet. I made a lifestyle change and committed to living a healthier lifestyle. Second I could not look at the total amount of weight I needed to lose. It seemed impossible so I broke it down into 5lb mini goals and I celebrated meeting each one. You can do it!
Finn - congrats on your 2lb loss. Your rockin!

HappyTurtle
04-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the response NEmom.

I think I'm only going to weigh myself every 10 days or so, so I won't get discouraged. I have been editing a lot of materials on nutrition, some on weight loss, and the key to all the research on weight loss (which also looked at commercial weight loss plans) is simple calorie restriction. I had been taught that it was all about exercise, exercise, exercise. While that helps, the main thing is reducing number of calories. So I am also having to embrace a different mindset, although it does makes sense (500 cal of food intake vs. 500 cal exercise expenditure).

One day at a time. So far I am having a good week, and on track with my eating goals.

And I am very glad to have found these support BBs!!!

cbigsis
04-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi, I'm new too. :) I had lost 65 pounds around a year and half ago and have been in a maintenance mode since then. Now I'm wanting to lose about 15-20 pounds more to get to my goal weight. I love feeling so much healthier and being active. This last 2 years has been so wonderful!

I only got started this week and I'm a little slowed down by a muscle pull on the inside of my knee. Hopefully that will be feeling better in a few days. In the meantime I have been working on adjusting my meal plan from a more maintenance amount to a slow weight loss amount. I hate restricting too many calories I just get so hungry!! So for now I'm going to try about 1500-1700 a day. Its kind of an estimate because I usually go by a food group/portion size system rather than straight up calories. In maintenance I was probably around 1800-2200. I made the last 3 days around 1500 but today I woke up hungry and after breakfast still feel that way so we will see how the rest of today goes.

I hope you are all having a good week!

patchworkpenguin
04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Happy Birthday, NE!

I've had a migraine for the past few days so I haven't done much but since I wasn't eating I lost 3lbs so I'm back down to what my stats say at least.

cbigsis, I like your portion/group system. I counted cals for a while but it drove me nuts.

Turtle, I only weigh during twice a month during the weeks not affected by TOM.

HappyTurtle
04-22-2012, 12:48 PM
PWP, that's a good idea.

I just realized scale was off by a few pounds, plus it was my TOM this week. I adjusted scale and will weigh on Wednesday, so I have no idea what weight will be. But I am feeling more energetic without all that SUGAR. I am a major cookie fiend, love choc chip cookies to death. I made a batch this week for my son and husband, and hit my cal intake goal every day. I am proud of that, weight loss or no weight loss, and my body is definitely feeling much better.

greeneggsandtam
04-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Yeah! I am sliding comfortably into forty ---next month! So if it's all the same to you lovely ladies, I'm joining your group. I'm super happy to have gotten to this age - not everyone has the same good luck. Wait! Is there some kind of introductions area? Am I posting this in the wrong place? Let me look.

greeneggsandtam
04-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Well aside from the bio's it looks like this is it. So - I feel abit like this is a speed date. Um. I enjoy steel cut oats, going for walks and I have two dogs called Lola and Frida. haha. Aside from that you can see from my profile picture that joined this site in 2007 and have been sort of fluctuating and flailing about with regards to weight loss. I suspect as I get older it will get more difficult so coming here gives me motivation. I play masters soccer and as the years go by I seem to get slower and slower BUT I'll play as long as my knees will let me. Anyways that's me in a large nutshell. Looking forward to reading some good advice and encouragement!

andrew80k
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Checking in finally. My life is crazy these days. I've been out of town and changing jobs and my diet has taken some crazy twists and turns. I'm finally starting to see some progress again after about 3 weeks of being stuck. Ugh. Part of the issue is I've been so busy my workouts have been really hit or miss. Trying to get back to it though.

patchworkpenguin
04-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Its starting to warm up here, but its going to rain the rest of the week. I've been spending time in the backyard; weeding, straightening and planting. I finally got my beans planted! Today, I went with two Bible study ladies to set up for tomorrows luncheon, then Thursday we have another luncheon. Then its over for the summer! but we already have the start dates for next year.

pluckypear
04-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Hello. Decided to check out this thread as I am 46. I usually hang out in a few other threads. So will give myself time to peruse posts and then will post more.

NEMom
04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I have been MIA for a while. Life got really crazy and I have not had a chance to do more than peek in. Sure have missed everyone in this forum and hope you are doing well.
I have not exactly been on plan the last couple of weeks foodwise. Have tried to keep exercise on track but food, not so much and my scale shows it. Up 2+ pounds. Getting back on track food wise today.
I cut my finger over the weekend and had to get stitches, tried lifting weights this morning and I am going to have to lift light until my finger heals a little. Ugh.

guacamole
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi, NEMom - you were missed! Sorry about your stitches! Hope you feel better soon.

NEMom
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you Guac! It's nice to be missed.
Had a pizza party for my staff today so food was not great. I had a couple of pieces of pizza and a piece of cake. Really need to quit giving myself excuses to eat junk or all my weight is going to come back on. I would really like to lose 10 more pounds and officially say my BMI is considered normal. Need to take myself in hand and get back on track. Much easier said than done.
Hope you are all having a wonderful Tuesday!

patchworkpenguin
05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
NE, great new avatar!

NEMom
05-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Did not have a good food day yesterday but am working on getting back on track today. After many months of daily weighing I am staying off the scale for the next week because I know the number would just disappoint me. I am going to work hard at keeping my food on track for at least a week before I weigh. Hoping to see at least my normal maintenance number next week. It's strange that I use to HATE exercise and now, I get my exercise in without much trouble. Its the food.

Thanks PP. I will take that as a compliment since it is actually me, on my birthday a couple weeks ago.

guacamole
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
You look beautiful, NEMom! April has not been kind to me either. I had hoped to get a firm footing into the 150s, but it hasn't happened. I keep hovering between 158-160. Ugh. I need to stop cheating and get serious.

NEMom
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks Guac. That is such a nice thing to say - made my day!
I need to get serous too. Hoping the nice weather and fresh produce and veggies will inspire me to get back on track.
I would LOVE to get down to 145 so I will be in the 'official' normal weight range but I cannot remember weighing that ever so don't know if it is doable. I do know that my stomach has really started to bug me, I think it is the summer tops that have made me notice it so much more. Hoping if I lose another 10lbs or so that it will get a little smaller. I can dream anyway.

tigga
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Hello Everyone,
I was having a hard time getting past the ad to the forum
any ways
I am down 5 pounds since I lasted posted 3 more weigh ins to the challenge
I am in first and trying hard to stay there

NEMom
05-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Tigga-Woo hoo!! Congrats on your 5lb loss. Great job!