40-Somethings - April Showers Bring May Flowers Challenge

guacamole
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Calling all 40-Somethings who are looking for the next challenge - here it is! If we put in the work this month (hence the showers), surely we will enjoy the fruits of our labor in May! Let's challenge ourselves to lose as much weight and get as fit and healthy as we can by Monday, April 30, 2012!

Everyone who wants to participate should post their goals for what they want to accomplish over the next month and a half. If you want to post your daily/weekly weigh-ins, great! If you want to post your menu/food diary for the day, great! If you want to post about your exercise progress, great! If you want to post about the emotional challenges and daily hurdles you are facing, great! However you want to approach this challenge thread is up to you.

Here are my goals -

- Drink at least 6 glasses of water per day.
- Maintain a higher protein and lower carb diet (including lots of green leafy vegetables!).
- No snacking between meals.
- Get in at least 30 minutes of exercise per day.
- Lose 4lbs (that would put me at 155lbs).

I won't be posting as often in April, because of family visiting and also being out of town for a bit. However, I will be trying with all my might to stay on track!

Anyone care to join in? Let's make April a successful month! :broc:

kirsteng
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm in! I'm going to give it my all this month, trying to break through my plateau.

I commit to:

* 8 glasses of water a day
* daily tracking on livestrong
* max 1700 cals, even on weekends
* exercise daily except sunday

SW: 253
CW: 253
GW: 243

IT's a tall order for sure, but I'm going to try my hardest!! :)

guacamole
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Great, kirsteng! This will be a challenging month for me for sure! I am doing well so far, but the weeks coming up will be chock full of large meals and off plan foods. I am going to have to navigate carefully, but I know how easy it will be to cave in when everyone else is indulging. Although, they don't even see it as indulging - food is there, so why not eat it? It kind of blows that I will always have to see eating off plan foods as indulging if I want to stay on track - but, that's the price I need to pay for losing weight and getting healthy. It's always a trade off.

Sum38
04-03-2012, 05:14 PM
:woohoo:

Zumbachica
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Okay I'm in! totally screwed up and dropped out of the March challenge, but I think now Im ready. If anything I am going to try.

My goals:

No sugar
Higher protein/lower carbs. NO BREAD, it makes me feel sick and bloated.
More water per day
Take my mulitvitamin and Omega oil supplement
Lose 5 lbs.

guacamole
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Sounds good, ladies! All we can do is try, right?

Zumbachica
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Yes, and having the strength and motivation to try and sometimes half the battle! I am so tired of feeling depressed, bloated and sickly. I also am tired of having a closet full of clothes that I can't wear and I'm always reaching for the ugly sweatpants.

Will post how I did later..just wanted to weigh in for the start of this challenge. Have a good day everybody.

Sum38
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
My goals;

- Drink at least 6 glasses of water per day.
- Walk 100 miles
- Lose 2.5 pounds (starting weight 147.5)
- Upper body toning 2 x week

Sum38
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Zumbachica ~ have you been tested for gluten allergy? I lived in misery for years and years. Even my cellulite is better :D -- Someone had a thread about cellulite and I realized after living gluten free for 18 or so months, my cellulite has almost disappeared. A bonus there!

kandd416
04-04-2012, 11:08 AM
All righty. I'm in. Looking over my last few months I see that in January when I started I lost 5 pounds, February 3.5 and March 2 pounds. My loss has been going down every month. Well that is about to change.

My goals for April are:
Drink at least 64 ounces of water every day (the water in my coffee does not count)
Maintain a calorie defict every day
Achieve 40 hours of physical activity (measured by my BB)
Post progress here 5X a week M-F
Last but not least, lose 5 pounds.

Have a great day everyone.

Kim

Sum38
04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Kim, that is great tho! Last year was the first year where I sort of stayed the same, no loss or gain. I was sad at first, then I realized; last year was the first year in 5 or so years where I did not gain! I went from 115 to 170 in 5 years.... so if it took me 5 years to put on 55 pounds, I will give myself a year or two to shed it.

I lost 3.5 pounds in Feb, and I think I lost 3.5 pounds in March. For this month I set my goal very low, 2.5 pounds.

I am just feeling better and better each passing day.

Slow Dancing :D

guacamole
04-04-2012, 12:16 PM
My weight loss has really slowed down too - but like Sum said - no gain is progress!!

Today I weighed in at 158lbs. My goal over the next 2 weeks is not to put on more than 5 lbs. It's going to be tough, lots of food and celebrations. However, I am going to enjoy and not stress too much. I really need to pay attention to my body, and when I am full - stop eating! Social eating is my downfall...when others eat, I can't stop myself from grazing and pecking too!

So far, I am on plan today. Let's make it a good day, everyone!

andrew80k
04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm in, again.

Goals:

Lose 8 pounds.
Lose 4% BF. Ugh. Wanna get to where I can use the calipers. I still can't at 25%. If I was better at using them maybe I could.
Lose another inch off my prodigious gut.
Exercise 5-6 times per week.
Continue to make good food choices and eat within my calorie budget.
Going to try to support others more, I haven't had much time lately.

Let's "git 'r done". :D

fyreflie24
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Hey! I'm in.

Here are my goals:

* follow my plan as laid out by my nutritionist.
* continue a 6-day a week yoga practice.
* drink at least 100 oz of water daily.
* only weight in once a week @ nutritionist.

As far as the weight goes... I'm just going to do everything I can and the weight will be what it is. I can't get nuts about it if I'm doing everything that's laid out for me to do to succeed.

I think I lost about 10 lbs in March... *think* LOL! I'll get my first weigh in next Thursday.

guacamole
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Have I told you all how much I appreciate and admire you!? I really feel like the like the 40s bunch of gals and guys are my "friends in weight loss." It's so nice to know that I am not alone in this struggle, and that this is a safe place to talk about this journey. Thanks so much.

Colette1
04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I would like to be part of a WL support community. I am a very busy mother of 3 and a full time attorney. I weighed 150 five years ago and had bounced around in the 135-155 range from early 20s to age 40 (excepting birth of my twins when I went up to 190).

Last summer I hit 180 and made the mistake of going on Zoloft and promptly gained over 20 pounds more in a very short period while eating not that much at all. I am now off the Zoloft and am temporarily on Wellbutrin

I am tracking calories on an Iphone App, trying to do cardio three times per week, drinking water, taking Vitamin D, fish oil, magnesium and B12. I am a modified low carber and try to emmphasize veggies, protein and healthy fat,

Hope to be supportive and get support.

KG123
04-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Okay, I blew this a few months ago, but I'm here again!
This is the real thing...2 months to summer. UGH!

Here are my goals :
>Cut Calories
>Walk at least 5X/WK, at least 1/HOUR and at least 1 1/2 HOURS 2X/WK
>After losing 10 pounds, Start some weight training
>Get to 138 by the end of April
>Get ot 128 by the end of May
>At least 6-8/oz glass of water/day
>Allow a little leeway on the weekends...just a LITTLE!

My GO TO Foods are :
Gnu Bars = 140 Calories 12 grams of Fiber
Mix Lean Performance Protein Shakes = 90 Calories 3 grams of FIber
Egg Whites with Mustard
Salad with Non Fat Maple Grove Farms of VT Dressing (All Natural)
Good Belly Yogurts = 60 Calories
Hi Fiber Cereals with 1/2 cup milk..I like Kashi Heart to Heart..120/cal 3/4c
10 Calorie Chicken Broth
Celery, Carrot and Raw Pepper Slices.

panzees36
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm up for the challenge. Here are my goals:
-Lose 5 more lbs.
-Workout 5 days a week.
-Limit sweets even more.
-Don't overeat. If I go to bed full I feel like crap the next morning.

guacamole
04-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Hey, everyone! Welcome all newcomers and nice to have you aboard! Didn't do too badly today - stayed within calories, but ate more carbs than usual and some wings and beef tips in a sugary BBQ sauce for dinner. I know I will see the results on the scale. This is the tip of the iceberg for the next 2 weeks....here we go down the white water rapids of social eating events! Wish me luck.

Zumbachica
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Zumbachica ~ have you been tested for gluten allergy? I lived in misery for years and years. Even my cellulite is better :D -- Someone had a thread about cellulite and I realized after living gluten free for 18 or so months, my cellulite has almost disappeared. A bonus there!

OH MY GOSH..didn't know GLUTIN had anything to do with cellulite..that's completely WILD.

Bread makes me feel bloated, but nothing major. I know that I DO feel better when I'm low carbing....I wonder if there is a connection to that and the gluten. What kind of test do you take to see if you have gluten allergy or celiac?

Zumbachica
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
I refuse to weigh myself until after my period arrives, I'm super bloated right now. Still, I'm trying my best to keep away from sugar. I am eliminating this from my diet first, then I will eliminate most breads, rice and pasta. I keep telling mysel there are things coming up that I want to be slimmer for.....Memorial Day Weekend, some trips coming up this summer, etc.

KelStand
04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello! I love this idea! My goals are:
1. Lose 4 pounds! This would put me back in the 150s!
2. Weight train 3 days a week (at least).
3. Cardio 4 days a week!
4. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.

I hope my goals aren't too lofty. Although I do realize 4 lbs isn't much, but I have hypothyroidism and loosing any weight is a huge challenge!!

Good luck everyone!!!

guacamole
04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Checking in...didn't do too badly today. Stuck to salad and tuna fish instead of more fattening options that others were indulging in. Dinner will be a challenge. I did lots of walking today, so hopefully, that will offset some of the extra calories I plan to consume tonight!

Good luck, everyone!

Zumbachica
04-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I said that I refused to weigh myself but I did anyway and to my shock and horror I am the heaviest that I have been in a really long time. I know that I'll lose a few lbs in bloat when my period comes and goes in a few days but I still have ALOT of work to do, and that's what it is to me...HARD WORK. by the time this divorce is over I'll probably have 30 lbs to lose instead of ten.....what a struggle this is. But I"m going to try. Took a toning class this morning and worked hard....will try and get my bike out later for a little bike riding since it is such a beautiful day.......Taking the kids to a fondue restaurant tonight which is okay if I stick to dipping veggies into cheese and have a big salad. Low carbin' is the only thing that works for me. Have turkey salad for lunch, no bread. Did'nt have much of a breakfast, I was pressed for time. have a great day everyone.

Sum38
04-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Happy day before Easter!

Just a gorgeous day :sunny: I (and my DH) worked on our seedlings, repotting them from their starter trays. I am going to have a MASSIVE garden this year. Just to give you an example; 72 tomato plants, 39 basil plants...and the variety I have growing is vast. I know we are crazy :crazy:

Zumbachica I don't know if it was me going off gluten or just eating better that caused my reduced cellulite. What ever it is, I am not complaining....now if I could find a cure for those veins on my legs that are starting to show up :lol3: --
I had many tests done... I was VERY ill a few years back. I was diagnosed with lupus. I was in and out of hospital for months, bed ridden and on that horrid prednisone for 8 months. My lupus would flare up over and over again. Finally I was tested for Ceiliac. It was a blood test, but gluten intolerance test can be tested on skin I believe. You can self test by going off all gluten for a month or so and try eating them again... My life is SOOOOO much better now. Lupus flare ups are basically gone, joint pains are mostly gone, mo more bloat

Guacamole I see 158 :woohoo:

Kelly Nice goals. And in my book, any loss is a good loss! Shoot for 4 and if it is 1, we will still celebrate! :hat:

panzees36 Limiting sugar sounds FAB! No easter candy for you.:nono::nono: :rofl: -- See we will watch your back :hug:

KG123 Your goals are quite high. I wish you luck!!

Colette1 :wave: to another attorney. And :welcome:

fyreflie24 I think I saw your stats on bathing suit challenge...awesome!!:high:

Sorry if I missed anyone! :grouphug:

KelStand
04-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Thanks so much for the encouragement! It is energizing!
I met my goal of drinking water....that one is actually pretty easy! But, I did not do any exercise today. Truth be known...it was what I call "the bad day" of the month. That one day when my monthly is at its heaviest. I typically hang around home on those days if I can!
Anyway, I don't consider it a setback! I will stay on track!

Also....my spidey-senses are up in regards to gluten intolerance. The more I hear about it and read about it, I wonder if I have not become intolerant. I don't think it is uncommon for people with thyroid issues. I may try your advice of becoming as gluten-free as possible for a month to see if I feel a difference.

I hope all of you have a lovely Sunday!!:bubbles:

Sum38
04-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Kelly, your stats are almost identical to mine where I started at. I have stayed on path 98% since December 4 th. it has been a frustrating journey and I am not even half sway done, but each pound gone is a pound won. I have basically dead thyroid, lupus and celiac and they all go hand in hand, so yup it would be wise to get it checked out.

KelStand
04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Kristina- Hang in there! Good for you for sticking with it!! I am having a hard time dealing with my weight gain and not being able to eat when and what I want. I know I sound like a baby, but up until a couple of years ago, I could pretty much do that....
Anyway, I am going to concentrate of eating fruits, veges and water and back off meats & pastas. Maybe I can start seeing and feeling a difference!
Take care!

guacamole
04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey, everyone! Didn't do well with eating over the weekend at all. My youngest xhild asked me if my stomach got so big because of all the babies that had been in it! Well, yes....and also all the food I have been eating! Ugh... This is going to be a tough few weeks.

kandd416
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Hopefully everyone's having a good Monday.

I had a busy long weekend, with a huge landscaping project. We shoveled, & moved almost 5 yards of landscaping stones over this weekend on top of building retaining walls, rototilling & weeding existing flowerbeds. So for all my hard work this weekend I was rewarded by a 2.5 pound gain. Hopefully this is really just my muscles retaining water & I will be back down by WI on Wednesday.

Guac, I know just how you feel. Everyone here has been so supportive & it's nice to have people to talk to that really do understand. My husband is great & is very supportive, but since he's never had to lose weight he doesn't get it when I get discouraged or have a bad day. I know I'm doing it the right way, losing slow & yada yada yada, but some days I just want to whine because I want to be at least 20 lbs lighter by now. And this is where I come to do that. Aren't ya'll lucky? lol

It so helps to know that the little ups & downs I have are normal & I'm not really doing anything wrong. It's nice not to have to fight this battle alone.

Have a great day.
Kim

Sum38
04-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Happy Monday!

My weekend just flew by. We did a lot of garden clean up and played with our seedlings :)

I am having problem with my ball join; hip area. It flares up every now and then. I took 2 days off from walking, and my walk today was not easy. I felt I had wooden legs :lol: My hip hurt, it radiated pain to my groin area and both achilles tendons were super tight and it was uncomfortable. -- I am usually a speed demon. -- It all got looser after 3.5 miles, but it was just not a fun walk; it was work :lol3: I took some aleve and I am going to keep taking them until the pain goes away, I am sure it is inflamed.

Kim; you must be retaining weight. I bet you are sore!! You will have a nice swoosh coming up.

Guacamole; hang in there! :hug: In a grand scheme of things, even a few pound gain, will not matter. It is a journey, right?

Sum38
04-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Kelly; Sounds good. Even if you just cut back carbs at first and eat lean meats, you will probably shed some weight and the lean protein will keep you from binging. I make fruit smoothies every few days, and I feel like I am eating creamy ice cream :drool: Hardest part is to just keep going. -- 3FC have kept me going. I would have given up MANY times, but I started forming relationships and I have felt accountable and I did not want to disappoint my new friends.

Zumbachica
04-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Hello everyone...I'm down a bit, I'm sure it is just bloat. I feel extremely bloated as I k now I have told you all before.

I bought a new diet book today (to add to the 100 that i already own!) It is the Belly Fat Cure..basically another low carb book, but I really needed something that was going to get me excited about low carbing again and a structured program is what I need. Atkins was way too restricted for me and it does make me feel shakey, something that I can't risk feeling again since I"m already an emotional wreck. Anyhoo I can't wait to get to read it totnight. Taking my son to track and I may just walk the track myself while he's practicing, the coach said parents are free to run (ME run? bahahahaha...that's funny). But brisk walking I can do.

Looks like everyone is holding strong.

I enjoy reading all your posts and I feel safe here.

fyreflie24
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Sum: Thanks!

hey folks! Well I had a bit of a food meltdown on Thursday but I'm back on the saddle and have reversed the damage (even over the holiday, which I'm happy about!). Hoping for another pound between now and my Thursday weigh in. That puts me at 30 to go, 20 to get to a normal bmi... trying to stay focused and push forward as I approach the June 23rd beach date. I have a history of self sabotage so it's a demon I need to keep in check. Had family in town so today I get to return to my yoga schedule... thank goodness they have childcare as my oldest is away all week and my youngest is on spring break!

Hope everyone is doing well!

kandd416
04-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Kristiina, if you're in that much discomfort, maybe you should take it easy for a day or two. We're not exactly 20 somethings anymore. :)

Donamari, great job on sticking with your yoga. You've been awesome with that.

Zumba, hopefully you'll find something you enjoy & works for you.

Have a great day all.
Kim

kandyrews
04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are my goals:
-Lose 4 more lbs.
-Workout 5 days a week.
-Do not overeat.
-Eat healthier

I lost 3 pds recently, I now weigh 172. I started at 180 actually about 183. If I lose just 3 more pounds I will then be down in the 160's! Then 150 doesnt seem as far away.

Zumbachica
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Great work ladies! Im always amazed when people can get through the the holidays without a gain......

I finally had my period and feel relieved from bloat already......Now to lose some FAT! My son baked bread today which really set me back....low carbin' is hard to do with fresh baked bread sitting around. Still i'm down a bit and will take every ounce at this point!!

guacamole
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Quick check-in, everyone! Glad to see so many fighters in this thread! My food hasn't been great, but it could be worse. I have been getting lots of walking in every day, so that's a plus. I am feeling bloated already, and it's really pi**ing me off! I just got my period on 3/24, so why should I already be bloating with painful boobies on 4/11? Ugh! I'm not even having any more kids, so why do I need to suffer like this every month!? Ah well, rant over.

Good luck, everyone!

Zumbachica
04-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Guac I hear you girl.....I tend to have more intense PMS symptoms now that I"m older, it makes no sense to me. Some months are worse than others , and there is no doubt in my mind it has to do with nutrition. A water pill may help releive some of that bloat and painful boobies.

I am so tired of not being able to get dressed in the morning. All my pants HURT.....what is it going to take? Having the kids doesn't help this week, today I got us all huge bagels with cream cheese....talk about carbohydrate overload, that was probably the amount of carbs I should have in one week...Okay, enough whining. I am challenging myself to do push ups every day in order to get rid of some of this arm flab!! Adding that to the challenge. :smug:

KelStand
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Hello, All!!

The last couple of days have been up and down for me. I have walked and lifted my weights with the exception of today! My monthly visitor just will not go away this month with today being day 10 and the heaviest day yet!!! I just "love" my 46 year old body!!! My periods are soooo unpredictable. I wonder if this is another reason I am having such a difficult time with my weight. My hormones must be a mess!

Anyway, I refuse to weigh myself again till this cycle is over. I know I am bloated and retaining water! Yuck!!

Kristina: Take it easy. You don't want to do damage that may keep you from exercising a long period of time!

Zumba: I hope you feel better soon!

Everyone: You are all an inspiration to me!!! I love how you all stick with your goals even with setbacks!!!

Have a great rest of the week!!!

kandd416
04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Morning everyone. It looks like I already blew my goal of posting here every day M-F. :) Yesterday was a crazy busy day with computer crashes and all other sorts of fun stuff at work. And as the boss I'm expected to fix everything. Ugh!

Well the scale was 1.2 pounds lighter today than it was yesterday, but still not back to where I was last week. It's kind of weird that I've felt great & wasn't sore at all after all the yardwork until today. Today my arms are feeling like jello. Hello, I did all that work 4 days ago why am I sore today?

But I seem to have moved past the disappointment stage. Thanks in large part to my hubbie. He has been so great! He went shopping yesterday & picked me up a bunch of low fat & low calorie versions of the food on my shopping list. Awwww. I didn't even know they had a reduced calorie/fat blue cheese.

Anywho,continue to fight the fat ladies & have a wonderful day.
Kim

kandd416
04-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Woohoo! Another 1 lb loss as of this morning. This brings me to .2 lighter than I was at my 4/4 weigh in. But maybe the water whoosh may continue tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Looking over my daily weigh ins, I notice a little trend where I seem to weigh more on Monday than I did on Friday even though I'm eating the same amount of calories, or close to it. I think I've figured it out. When I'm working I tend to eat 5-6 times per day, but on the weekends I usually only eat 2-3. Could this put my body into starvation mode & slow down my metabolism on the weekends? Hmmmm

Well, I'm going to try to eat a little better over the weekend & see what Monday brings.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Kim

guacamole
04-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Quick check-in. Still bloated, crampy and PMSy - no monthly visitor yet, but that would put me at getting my period 10 days earlier than last month! I just don't get my body anymore. I haven't weighed myself,but my clothes are all tight and I know I have put on weight. I still have 2 days to go until relatives are all back home and normal eating can commence! I really need to get back to my routines. I am feeling so down about my weight loss progress right now. I feel like I will never reach a normal BMI much less my goal weight.

I look around me, and although I am no longer the heaviest woman in a crowd, I by far am not among the thinnest. I still have that middle-age spread - that "mom body" that wears "mom jeans." I feel so young inside, but look so old on the outside. I have seen so many slender women lately, now that the weather is warmer, wearing shorts and cute slenderizing sun dresses. I feel so stocky and heavy in comparison.

I keep thinking to myself that next year at this time, maybe I will look like they do. Maybe I will think back to April 2012, and marvel over how much weight I have lost by April 2013. Maybe by then I will be at my goal weight or even lower - maybe back at my college weight or high school weight. It doesn't seem possible right now.

KelStand
04-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I weighed myself this morning and I was down 2 pounds to 161!!! I even shifted my feet around to make sure I was standing on it correctly and the same number popped up over and over!! Woohoo! :carrot: Now I just have to figure out how to change my ticker thingy!!:dizzy:

Hang in there guacamole....you will feel better soon!!! :hug:

Zumbachica
04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Guac I just want to send you a big hug. I know how you feel.....young but in a body that you don't recognize or that doesn't feel like "you". It's hard to feel good when you feel "bloated". I had my period and got some relief but now Im feeling bloated again so soon..what the hay? does being in my forties juust mean I'll be bloated all the dang time?

I'm having stomach issues still and amd seeing the doctor tomorrow about it...

Kudos to those that are losing..way to go!!!

kandd416
04-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Happy Monday all.

I'm so excited because I saw a pretty big drop in the scale Saturday down to 178.4. Of course I was back up yesterday & today, but I seem to get a pretty big drop in the scale for one day (I call it a sneak peek) about 4-5 days before it seems to stick. I would be so happy to get away from the 182-180 range. I've been here for almost a month. Ugh!

I'm about ready to start week 4 of my ripped in 30 DVD & can tell my jeans are getting looser, even if the scale doesn't agree. I do love that DVD. Once I finish week 4 I'm going to take a break from it for about 2 weeks before I try it again. The first time I had to do mostly all the easier versions & I'm looking forward to seeing how far I've progressed.

Have a great day all.

Kim

guacamole
04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Hello, everyone! Well, tomorrow begins the beginning of a new beginning. In other words, relatives will be leaving tomorrow afternoon, kids all in school, and hopefully my diet getting back on track.

Still bloated and no TOM, clothes still tight, and eating still way off plan - I haven't tracked any calories in 1 1/2 weeks. However, tomorrow I'm back on track. I know I will be having withdrawal symptoms and cravings from all the sugar, carbs, and larger portions I have been consuming. I always have the pay the piper when I go on "vacation" from counting calories and carbs. Ah well.....

Congrats to those losing and on plan!

kandd416
04-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Official WI tomorrow, but I can't stay off the scale since I saw Saturday's drop out of the 180's, lol. As of this morning I'm at 179. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it sticks or goes a little lower. I'm so ready to get out of the 180's. I've been there forever!

I guess all I can do is continue on, it will come eventually. I'm just so proud of myself for not giving up, even though it hasn't exactly gone as I wanted it too. So yay me!

Have a great day all.
Kim

Sum38
04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
I am still here.... I will post later. It has been a rough week.

fyreflie24
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
TOM is here... grrr.. and I think my nutritionist has cast a spell that I only drop weight for my Thursday morning weigh ins lol! I'm excited with my new, higher goal weight; so amazing to think that I have under 20 lbs!! Now, to start chipping away...

kandd416
04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
It stuck! It stuck! Yay! I'm officially in the 170's! Look out 160's I'm heading your way!

All those exclamation points doesn't show you that I'm happy does it? 3 months of the 180's sucked. I'm aiming for two for the 170's, but won't be surprised if I don't make that goal. I am not trying to "diet" but make this a lifestyle change that I can continue & maintain, but boy do I wish the weight would just fly off!

Kristiina, I hope all is well for you. I miss your bright & chipper posts.

Donamari, it's great that you're within 20 lbs of your goal. Keep it up.

As always, have a great day.
Kim

guacamole
04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Congratulations on the losses everyone! I stayed on plan yesterday, logged my calories, and so far so good for today! Still bloated and no TOM. Ugh. I am not stepping on the scale for at least 1 week or more - after TOM arrives.

Good luck today, everyone!

KG123
04-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Down to 141.8 this morning. Can't wait to get our of the 140's!
Walked this morning 1 & 1/2 hours :running: so that's out of the way for the day.
Had a Good Belly Juice Drink 60 calories in 2.7 ounces, high but it's sweet and all I need for the morning.
Measuring coffee cream now...I couldn't believe how the calories in that added up! The fat free is so full of crap I refuse to use it...the second ingredient is corn syrup! So limiting to 1 TBLSP cream per cup of coffee...and that's = 20 calories per cup!
Sticking to low-cal stuff...love Tofu Pups...45 calories! Make sure they're hot, though because they aren't good cold. Also the Mix 1 Lean Performance Shakes are really filling at 90 calories = 11oz.
Hoping to get weight a little lower by Saturday morning because going to Bruins game Saturday :woohoo: and probably eating out!

guacamole
04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Sum38 - Hope the week is getting better for you.

Congrats on all the great progress everyone. I am staying within my calorie range and watching carbs and sugars. I exercised for 1 hour today. TOM is still not here, yet the cramps and bloating are. I think it was my diet the last few weeks, with lots of sugars, sodium, and carbs. I am actually feeling a bit less bloated since starting back on track this week.

Good luck today!

kandd416
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Guac, great job keeping on track. I hate that bloated feeling before TOM! Poor you having it for a couple of weeks before. Ugh! That must be horrible.

My weight as of this morning was down 2 pounds since the start of this challenge, which is 40% of my goal. I'm hoping that I can finally make a goal!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Kim

Zumbachica
04-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi folks! I weighed in at 139 today...happy to be out of the 140's but for all I know I can be up tom 140 tomorrow!! Hardly sat today, was so busy cooking and cleaning, not sure how many calories that is but it should count for something!!! I'm still not done reading The Belly Fat Cure but I'm going to start the 14 day fast track program that they recommend to give me the push that I need to get serious about this.....as far as my problems go they are going to be here no matter what..so I can go through them gaining 30 lbs back or I can go through them and be healthy.....

guacamole
04-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi, all! TOM arrived yesterday....I am feeling icky, but glad that the end of the bloating and cramping is near! I saw a bunch of people who haven't seen me in awhile and they were amazed at how I looked. At least 4 people asked me confidentially how I had lost weight, and I told them calorie counting and exercise. They all asked, "So there is no magic pill?" I told them, unfortunately not.

I need to keep going and not backslide....I need to believe I can reach my goal even though it's taking a long time.

We can do this!

NoMore72
04-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Oops,a little late to the thread but,here goes...

Goals for April, which I already have started,of course.

Drink up to ten 16-ounce bottles of water a day
Exercise 2 hours a day (one hour in the morning and one in the evening)
Cut carbs drastically
More protein in diet
Cut sugar intake drastically (NO SODA...not even diet)
More vegetables and fruits in diet (more fiber of any good kind)
Take vitamins daily
Meditation and breathing exercises daily and nightly

I've lost 11 pounds so far. I hope to reach 15 by the end of the month. :)
I feel so much more energized, which I need the most from this.

KelStand
04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I have to say I have done well in keeping with my goals. I am drinking the heck out of water. I have done my weight training and walked most every day.....but, this week I have NOT done a good job avoiding sweets! So, at my official weigh in this morning I had not lost a pound...an ounce...or anything! In fact, although the scale wasn't at 162...it was a few ounces closer.
I am a little discouraged, but I will keep on working at it.

Congrats to all of you that have seen success this week!! Reading your posts are such an inspiration!!!

guacamole
04-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello! Had a fattening Saturday, but am back on track today. Feeling pretty blah and down today.

This is not diet related but - I had a strange altercation at my kids school this morning. There was no parking, as usual, and I needed to park to go inside for 15 minutes or so. I went around the block and found a tight space to pull into. As I attempted to squeeze in, I tapped the bumper of the truck behind me, no damage was done to either car. As I was walking with my kids up the street, I heard a man yelling behind me, but I kept walking.

When I was done at the school and returned to the car with my kids, a woman came sailing out of her house and accosted me, screaming that I had hit her car and that I had ignored her husband who was trying to flag me down. She started screaming that I even if I don't have respect for my car, she cares about her car and doesn't want people hitting it, and that I must go around hitting people's cars all the time and not acknowledging it.

I looked at her sternly and told her that I apologized for what happened to her car, but I had only tapped her car by accident and no damage was done - which she didn't deny. She looked slightly mollified by the apology, and then huffed that if she ever saw me doing anything like that again, she was contacting the authorities.

Honestly, you would have thought that I killed someone in a hit and run accident the way she ran after me and was screaming! Luckily, my kids were already in the car and didn't hear the exchange, but I felt like some kind of murderer. The level of overreaction was crazy.

I once did hit someone's parked car a few years ago when I was reversing down a street (because the street was blocked at the other end) and I left a note and contact information. However, would any of you leave a note or ring doorbells to find the owner of a car you tapped while parallel parking and no damage was done? I honestly don't think I behaved badly. Am I wrong?

cbigsis
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Great job on everyone's progress this week! A lot of the time is slow but steady.

Guac, I would not leave a note for tapping a bumper if there was not even a scratch. Sometimes that kind of thing just happens. She needs to calm down and I am also glad your kids were not with you to hear her raving like that.

Somewhat off track over the weekend but that seems to be the hardest thing for me to avoid. But it was better than most.

Goals for me are a little late for the month but better late than never:

drink at least 6 glasses of water a day
exercise 45-60 min 6 days a week. ( my knee is feeling better :) )
stay in my meal plan with reducing carbs a bit more
make sure to get my fruits and veggies in each day
journal every day
weigh myself no more than every 7 days.

Have a great week everyone!!

kandd416
04-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Guac, I do think she over reacted quite a bit. Especially if you did check their car for damage before walking off.

I also had a not on plan weekend for eating. We went to a baseball game over the weekend with friends, which led to dinner & drinks. I've been really good about not having the drinks, since I hate to waste my calories on drinks. I'd much rather have ice cream if I'm going to indulge. :)

TOM arrived this morning a little ahead of schedule and my weight was way up. I'm hoping it is all water, but we shall see.

Have a wonderful OP day everyone.
Kim

guacamole
04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Hello, everyone! Thanks for the support, ladies. I am feeling better about the car episode. Sometimes people are unhappy in their lives and need an outlet to let off steam - it's easier to unload on a stranger with no consequences than face yourself or the people you are really angry with. I think that's what happened here - I was a convenient venting outlet.

This Thursday I have my last physical therapy session for my back. I have gotten a lot stronger and am ready to stop therapy! The therapy is sending me home with an at home program. I really want to continue doing core strength training. Now that I've gotten started with therapy, I hope it can serve as a springboard.

Have a great day, everyone.

Sum38
04-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I am back!! I will do personals once I catch up with reading.

I have kept up with my walking and I have clocked 95 miles this month. I have really tried hard with my water intake; I am proud of that aspect. Weight is UGH! -- It is PMS time and I feel huge and bloated. Joys of being 40 :lol3:

I was going to do a 3 day flat belly cure plan, but I failed after day 1 :o I will wait once TOM gets here and then I won't have these insane cravings. -- I have followed IF REALLY well though. It seems to be my savior.

I found this recipe, and I like it a lot, and thought maybe you ladies would enjoy it as well.

Sassy Water

2 liters water (about 8 cups)
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
12 small spearmint leaves.

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight.

Drink the entire pitcher by the end of each day.

I will be back in a bit. :D :hug:

Zumbachica
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Sum what is the three day fat belly diet? I need it , I have a hot date this weekend...LOL

I'm becoming more conscious of what I am putting in my mouth, and slowly getting it together. It is very difficult given all the stress I am under. I feel like it is the one thing in my life that I can actually control right now...I am thinking about doing the 30 day shred DVD....its a short workout but I've heard from many people it is effective.

kandd416
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Guac, glad your back is much better. Back problems are horrible & I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Kristiina, yay! You're back. Glad to hear you've been sticking with it. Keep it up chickie!

Zumba, I'm on week four of the Ripped in 30 DVD. I have to say I love her workouts. They really push me to the point that I can't do anymore & then switch to another exercise just in time. I haven't seen a huge weight drop with it, but my eating hasn't been the greatest, but I have seen a lot of inches lost.

Have a great day all.

guacamole
04-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Hello, everyone! I love the exercise everyone is doing - it really motivates me to move more. I stepped on the scale to 158lbs this morning. I am glad to be back to my lowest weight so far, because I packed on a few pounds when my relatives were in town. Now to get the scale to a new all time low! On to the next pound down...

Good luck today, everyone! You all are great motivators. :hug:

Zumbachica
04-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi everybody!! I feel like i"m finally ready to get serious with this whole thing..it is finally warmer here and the days are getting longer, and I just feel so "stagnant". I also feel "gross". Wore a top today and my gut kept popping our of my low rise jeans....and I kept pulling the stupid shirt down..how uncomfortable. I'm not even about the scale anymore, I just want to lose inches and get rid of problem areas..tighten the junk if you know what i mean!:belly:

Didnt' have time to do my Shred DVD today but I plan on doing that tomorrow. I also said goodbye to bread today for a while. Its just the way it has to be........

Dealing better with the stress in my life (for now).

So glad I have this forum to turn to...you gals are keeping me motivated..even though I"m not accomplishing much I feel like I"m on my way and there's still hope to be fit by summer..:carrot:

cbigsis
04-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone! This week has been going well so far. I got out the scale today and was down 2 pounds to 145. Woo Hoo!! I'm trying not to let myself weigh any more than once a week or I get too obsessed with the numbers. I would love to get into the 130's if not low 130's by the end of May. I have a dress I would love to wear more comfortably than it fits now for my son's graduation! :D

Guac, great job getting back to your low weight!

Zumba, I love the 30 day shred DVD. I have the extreme shed and shred DVD too. I like to mix that one in for something a little different sometimes. It has some yoga moves in it too which can be a nice change.

guacamole
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Hello, everyone!

Zumbachica - I consider bread a "treat" now, the same way I would consider candy, ice cream, or cake. I cn have it every once in awhile, but if I eat it as a daily staple in my diet, I just don't lose weight.

cbigsis - Great job on your weight loss! I also have a graduation and wedding to attend in May and June. It would be nice to be able to fit into a new size and a new dress by that time. Another motivation for losing weight - getting to go shopping! Ah well....one day at a time.

Holding strong in my eating plan so far. We are having friends over for a BBQ tonight, so I am keeping my calories very low today, in case I go a little overboard tonight! So far, so good. I made sure that we will have chicken breast, asparagus, cauliflower, green salad, and cut up fruit in addition to all the regular hot dogs, hamburgers, steak, potato salad, and cole slaw. As long as I stay away from the buns, I think I'll be good.

Stay strong, everyone! Summer is on its way and we want to look and feel great!

kandd416
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Guac, yay for being back down to 158.

Cbigsis, 2 pounds is great.

I know exactly what you guys mean about bread. Both my parents are from the south & I grew up with potatoes & some type of bread at every meal. One of our regular meals was bacon, fried potatoes, green beans & corn bread. And not even the green beans were healthy due to the way they were cooked!

Thankfully I'm eating a whole lot healthier now. But I think I miss my bread the most. I do still eat it on a pretty regular basis with sandwiches, but no more rolls with dinner type.

Weight was down to 178 today. I'm not going to move my ticker just yet, I'm going to make sure it sticks for my official WI on Wednesday.

Kim

guacamole
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
kandd416 - congrats on getting to 178! It's always nice to get firmly into a new "decade!"

I didn't do too badly at the BBQ - although I did have cole slaw and a slice of cake! However, I didn't have any buns/rolls and stuck with protein, salad, and cauliflower for the bulk of my meal. The weekend is coming and that always means I go off plan - here's hoping I don't wander too far astray! So far so good for today.

Good luck, everyone!

KelStand
04-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Hello, all!
I have had a pretty good couple of weeks. I haven't lost, but I haven't gained either. For someone like me (hypothyroidism) that is an accomplishment in itself. And I actually may have lost a pound or two but TOM is back a little early and I am bloated!!!!

I am sticking to my goals for the most part...although I haven't exercised in the past three days since TOM.

Reading the posts on this forum have kept me motivated!! I love to hear your success stories as well as the not-so-successful stories. All inspire me to stick to my diet and exercise routine....I know I will lose it eventually....no matter if I have set backs....or lose my weight s-l-o-w-l-e-y!!!

And guacamole...I wouldn't have left a note either. No harm was done. I am sorry that lady chose you to dump on. It was uncalled for!

Will there be another challenge when April is over?

guacamole
04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
KelStand - I am pretty much where you are now that April is almost over - I was hoping to lose 4 pounds, but instead lost 1. I am remembering the words of another 3Fc member (I think it is kaplods?) that simply maintaining your current weight is a victory. Imagine if we hadn't been aware of our food and exercise this month? We would be looking at a gain for sure!

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I was feeling stressed and binged on candy, cinnamon rolls, cookies, and more. It's been a long time since I have eaten in an out of control way, and I am not proud of myself. I am back on track today, and hopefully, wiser for the experience!

Zumbachica
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Hi everybody..I am not making ANY progress..its so annoying....but i'm not gaiining so i'm happy about that....hang tough everybody!! we still have time to get this show on the road before summer!

kandd416
05-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, April is over & I've had my WI this morning, I'm down to 178.2. Not quite the 5 lbs I wanted, but it is a loss of 2.4 pounds this month, so I'm still very happy about that! AND, I'm FINALLY out of the 180's! Three and a half months was long enough thank you very much!

Have a day!
Kim

Zumbachica
05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
So April is over and I guess this thread is also? :( I haven't really accomplished all that much but I finally feel like i'm on the wagon...:carrot: Lost a lb. and I'm happy to see the scale FINALLY move..it was stuck. I am on day Two of the Belly fat cure diet....basically low carb. I am going to do the Shred today also. Aqua Zumba tomorrow.....hope there's a new challenge , if not I'll start one for us :)