Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 11:36 AM   #1  

Default Financial aid for surgery

Does anyone know where I can go to get financial aid to help pay for the gastric bypass. My insurance refuses to pay for it. My BMI is 53 and I am in serious need of this surgery. I have hypertension, degenerative arthritis of knees, fibromyalgia, high cholesterol, anxiety attacks. I am only 35 and would love to have the opportunity to change my life so I can keep up with my 2 very active children.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

my surgeon has a relationship with a bank that lent money at a favorable rate. i know this is not the right way to go for many people, but it's an option for some.

do you know why the insurance company denied you? there may be ways around it...
Old 03-13-2003, 03:41 AM   #3  

CT: Was this the first time you submitted it to the insurance company?? So many companies will deny a first claim without a second thought hoping to scare people off. I've heard so many stories of people getting denied, but then getting approved after and appeal. Have you tried an appeal? You may also want to consider a lawyer. THAT oughtta scare 'em into approval.
Good Luck,
Jen
Old 03-13-2003, 06:51 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Many people do get approved on a second or third try.

There are many reasons why they deny.......up to and including not crossing your t's or dotting your i's. What was the reason given?

Debbie
Old 03-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #5  

i will give you an insider point of view. the lawyer will do nothing. but as a member, you do have the right to an appeal process. you should have received a denial letter and with that they should have listed the reasons of denial. what you will most likely have to do is write a letter back to the address given for appeals and tell them why it should be appealled and approved. you do have a voice and you should use it.
Closed Thread