Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #1  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

Question Do you ever get envious?

I sometimes get frustrated/envious of the people who can lose a lot of weight per week. Like 6-7lbs at a time when I am lucky if I get .5 in a week. I am a slow loser obviously but it seems weird to me that I can stay on plan, work out hard regularly and not drop very much weight. I have a friend who is losing weight at a great pace and has as much to lose as I do and does very little exercise but yet I am slowly behind her.

Does anyone else ever feel envious like that?
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

No, never. I'm so above all that..... hahaha.... not really. Color me green. I'm flat out jealous!

I work with a lot of people who have gotten on the healthy band wagon lately. I think I was their influence. They were all happy with where they were, and along came me with my Bodybugg, and my shrinking appearance. Now they're all in to health and fitness and losing. Meanwhile, I've gained, lost my focus and I'm just stalled out. It's hard to watch their success while I struggle.

Just keep telling yourself, even a small loss is better than no loss. Maybe see your doctor about underlying conditions that may be slowing you down. I guess the key is, don't let it stop you. It's so easy to use the frustration as an excuse to stop trying. You'll get there eventually!! And maybe your friend will give her your clothes!

Last edited by twinieten; 04-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Are those people starting at a higher weight? Generally if you're starting at a higher weight you'll lose a bit more per week than someone like you who is just a little overweight as opposed to obese or morbidly obese.

I saw it in myself. I lost weight very quickly when I was obese, but as I got closer to a healthy weight the losses slowed down. When I got into the healthy weight range my losses slowed down even more.

Remember that as you get smaller that one pound is a bigger percentage of your body weight.

Last edited by sontaikle; 04-02-2012 at 08:55 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #4  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Are those people starting at a higher weight? Generally if you're starting at a higher weight you'll lose a bit more per week than someone like you who is just a little overweight as opposed to obese or morbidly obese.

I saw it in myself. I lost weight very quickly when I was obese, but as I got closer to a healthy weight the losses slowed down. When I got into the healthy weight range my losses slowed down even more.

Remember that as you get smaller that one pound is a bigger percentage of your body weight.
Exactly what she said, especially when you hit the last 20 vanity pounds they just like to stick to you like super glue! But I hear ya, I've never been on to even drop a huge number in weight a week not to mention my weight loves to fluxuate between 2 - 9 pounds at a time royally pisses me off!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #5  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyia View Post
I sometimes get frustrated/envious of the people who can lose a lot of weight per week. Like 6-7lbs at a time when I am lucky if I get .5 in a week. I am a slow loser obviously but it seems weird to me that I can stay on plan, work out hard regularly and not drop very much weight. I have a friend who is losing weight at a great pace and has as much to lose as I do and does very little exercise but yet I am slowly behind her.

Does anyone else ever feel envious like that?
No I don't. Keep in mind "6-7 lbs a week" is mostly short-term water loss. Almost no one can sustain that kind of loss. By comparison, 2-3 lbs. a week would be exceptional.

More importantly, it's great that you're losing at a healthy, controlled pace. Be happy for your own accomplishments.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

No.

I've been at this for over 1.5 years. My weight loss has been SLOW but it's given me time to permanently change my habits. I've lost weight in the past but never permanently, never as much as I've kept up this time.

I've just learned to tune it out. Focus on myself and my own victories because you know what? In the end it doesn't matter. I'll get to my goal whether these last 19lbs take a few months or another year. I'll be there and I'll look AWESOME when I get there. That's what matters. That and that I'll keep it off.

So I figure let others loose more quickly. That's great for them. But for me I'm doing what works. I'm on a plan that I can stick to. One that I feel comfortable doing for the rest of my life.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

A person in your weight range who loses 6-7 lbs a week consistently either has some kind of flesh-eating disease or is on an extreme diet. You're losing weight, which is much better than gaining it or failing to lose any. Jealousy and envy are regular players in the "weight and body image" game but I don't think giving them attention or focusing on how jealous you may be of X person does much to help your own progress.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 4"

Sometimes I do but then I remember that my friend did it like that and she struggles all the time keeping it off. My sister took a longer amount of time to lose it and she has such an easier time keeping it off.
Shellbellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #9  

Height: 5'0"

Yep. I'm a slow loser... 0.5 lbs a week if I'm lucky... 1 pound a month of LASTING loss is more typical when I'm dedicated. I always feel like I have to work harder and be more focused on my diet than a lot of people, but I also have less to lose, so it's a small price to pay.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I get jealous of people like you!!

When I stick to my plan consistently, I can lose 3-4 pounds a week. My good friend struggles to lose half a pound to a pound a week. However, she's 15 pounds away from her goal. I'm... well. Are numbers really all that important?

I would much rather be losing slowly and be closer to my goal weight than further away and losing fairly quickly. I may be losing weight faster, but she will still reach her goal WAY quicker than I will
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I have the jealousy thing. I actually was losing around 6lbs at a time...unfortunately it would take 2 weeks to get there(I would plateau and then it would all come off). THis week however I am down 2 so maybe I am coming around...at least I hope. I just keep telling myself that I am doing this and I am going to keep it off...and I am in it for however long it takes.
erh12275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Over the years, I used to get very envious of those people - until, that is, I started seeing the vast majority of them gain all the weight back. Everyone always says that losing weight slowly is the right way to do it, and I never understand "why" - but I think it seriously is because the slower you do it, the longer you have to learn what you need to do to continue, as well as having those repeated "building on success" moments. I did read somewhere recently about the phenomenon of still feeling like a fat person even after you lose the weight (I've read hundreds of posts about this on 3FC) - one study thought that was a big reason why people who dump the weight quickly eventually gain it back, because their minds never catch up to their bodies, so they never really "believe" in themselves (i.e., "believe" they are getting thinner). It's a lot easier to just start overeating again when your mind never "believed" you were thin to begin with.

I dunno.

Of course, I sometimes feel a tinge of jealousy, but I've been losing slowly over the last year or so and I am still succeeding. Two co-workers of mine who started around the same time as me in 2011, but were both kind of crash-dieting and losing loads more than me (we all weighed in on Saturdays, and I'd always get excited about my 1-2 pounds loss, whereas they would always talk about their 4-5 lbs losses) - well, neither of them are still on plan and both have gained all the weight back. Take from that what you will...
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #13  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunula View Post
Over the years, I used to get very envious of those people - until, that is, I started seeing the vast majority of them gain all the weight back.
This! And I'm living proof of that for sure.

I'm still weighing myself because it's just something I need to do for myself, but I put little stock into it as a measure of my success. I've only been back at this for just about 2 weeks, I've lost several lbs so far, but I know it's mostly water weight and will be glad when I am a few months into this with a slow but steady loss.

I understand where you are coming from though! I won't lie and say I am never just a little jealous of those "30 pounds in 30 days" people, but I know logically it's not really a good thing.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I sure understand this. I'm a very slow loser, too.

I do a lot better these days at stamping out the urge to compare and feel envy. I nip it in the bud by reminding myself that I don't know someone else's life circumstances, but I sure know my own -- and that what I'm doing is really hard, and I'm doing great.

Two sayings have been very helpful to me; it took a long time to really, fully internalize them, but I got there:

--Comparison is the thief of joy.

--Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

(For the latter - that person racking up huge losses, when I can't, surely feels some acute challenge in their life that I don't. We've all got something.)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote