04-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Here are some acclaimed benefits of maca powder:

Increasing energy, stamina and endurance
Enhancing libido and treating impotence
Stimulating fertility in both sexes
Supporting the immune system and adrenal function
Reducing chronic fatigue
Regulating and supporting the endocrine system

Question is, has anyone tried it? Does it work?
I can't have caffeine (although chocolate is fine, but not in coffee or teas - I get anxiety) so would this make me anxious as well since it's an energy stimulator?

Vladadog
04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I have been putting red macca powder in my smoothies for about a month now. About a tablespoon for a pint jar worth of smoothie.

I do get a bit of a boost from it. I work nights and I tend to drink my smoothie around 2 or 3 am rather than a cup of coffee. It seems to work and doesn't keep me awake when i finally get to fall in to bed about 11am.

I think it has increased my libido a bit also.

But I haven't seen any of the other effects claimed for it. I've been kinda in the doldrums and low energy for a few months and the macca hasn't done anything for that.

Plus I hate the taste of it. Maybe hate is the wrong word but I don't much like it. I prefer my smoothies without the macca. I will continue to use it till it runs out (I bought a pound) in case it does have some effect on my vague depression but I don't expect to buy more.

I wouldn't recommend against trying it, I don't regret giving it a try at all. And my experiences may not be typical.

Euphy
04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't mess with anything that effects my hormones. I've taken maca, St. John's Wort, and 5-htp. I think they just messed up my hormones because my emotions were kinda out of control when I was taking them.

04-10-2012, 05:01 AM
I would avoid Maca if you can't have caffeine - it did give a "jump". I did stop taking it when I started reading about the hormonal implications, as Euphy said - I don't mess with anything that effects my hormones (with the "exception" of BCP, but I think that's more than enough messing :P).