Exercise! - April Running - Calling ALL runners!!!!

ncuneo
04-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I've been doing this thread for over a year now (I actually think I stole it from someone January 2011:o) but over the months partipation has dwindled and I want it back!!!! So I want ALL runners to join in report, share and join together to make April our best month of running EVER!

I don't care what your status as a runner is, if you run whether it be a minute or a mile you are A RUNNER! Even if your injured or taking a break, join us!

I started running in January of 2010, could barely make it 5 minutes, two weeks ago today, I ran a marathon! So anyone can do this so let's do it!

ncuneo
04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Today I'm headed out for 6-8 miles...slept in today cause it was too windy to drag my toosh out there this morning. I'm still recovering from my marathon, which has been quite a humbling experience. I've never needed recovery time from a race before, so this is quite new territory for me. I'm still taking it slow and not at 100% effort on my runs yet.

Tomorrow I will be technically starting my next training cycle, but I will still be taking it easy until things feel more normal and I'm metally comfortable pushing myself. My new goal is no longer distance, but speed. This will be an entirely new thing for me. While I have done speed work in the past, I've never focused on it or pushed myself and up until my marathon, I've never really races, I've just run. So I'm excited for this new chapter and excited to see how far I can take it.

Happy running!

defenestrator
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I've been getting a lot more serious about running. Most days I run 4 miles -- on the weekends I run 6 miles. I hurt my back pretty badly on Friday and so I've had to take a couple of days off, but I'm hoping to be back at it tomorrow.

My youngest kid (nearly 8) and I are running a kids' marathon in two weeks. We run a mile or so a day together and then on the day of the marathon he runs the last 1.2 miles and then gets the same finisher's medal that the adults do. I'm looking forward to introducing him to the festival atmosphere of road races and I might run a 5k that day if my back gets better within the next few days.

I've been running in minimalist shoes lately and have been pleasantly surprised by how much they diminish what I thought were weight-related injuries and pains.

Nice to see this thread!

philana
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
ncuneo: thanks for the new thread! and again: awesome on the marathon! I registered for a 10mile big run in Amsterdam in september (the biggest running event of the year) and am gonna register for half a marathon in november. Should be do-able!

----
I am ALMOST done with my 1 week running break. LOL. It's so hard to not go out for a run. I've been on the elliptical and stationary bike more than I care to just to get my cardio in.

Reason for the break being that I am off to a bit of an over-enthousiastic start since I managed to go beyond 1mile at the end of january to 4 to 6 miles these last few weeks. My jump has been too big or the time between my runs too short or maybe my stretching too little, I started feeling like I was developing shin splints. My legs are completely fine after 5 days of no running but will see how I do after my first run after my break on tuesday.

You girls can help me pace myself! ;) Oh, and I'll start stretching religiously, I also got some anti-inflammatory naproxen and will take one on my run day and use the recently bought icepack if I feel any discomfort. I am starting with weight training so hope to train my muscles around my ankles and calves and have it help. I basically am doing everything I can think of to make sure I never get REAL shin splints. It just scares me to get running injuries so I am overly careful. If the pain/discomfort returns right away tuesday I will get my shoes checked out, but they were measured in the store, quite expensive and have done me just fine on my runs mostly. It's when I upped distance and frequency I had discomfort.

So yeh. That's me. LOL.

CherryPie99
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I ran 8 miles this morning in cold drizzly rain. I have no idea why this is happening, but over the last 3 weeks or so, my running times have improved DRAMATICALLY. I typically run a 10:30 mile. Today I ran the 8 in 1:15:39 - that's less then a 9:30 mile! I'm not consciously pushing myself at all, either.

2.5 weeks until my surgery and then at least 6 weeks off running :( Just as I'm getting good!

wickedlady
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
OK fair game ncuneo, I'll try to participate in this thread more often :D

I am training for a half marathon on May 20th. Ran 9 yesterday... the 7th mile of which was all uphill, whew! That was tough. But I don't even really feel sore today which makes me really happy! I am a yoga buff and practice 4-5 times a week... sometimes it can be hard to manage both but I think overall it's helping my recovery time so far.

wickedlady
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I ran 8 miles this morning in cold drizzly rain. I have no idea why this is happening, but over the last 3 weeks or so, my running times have improved DRAMATICALLY. I typically run a 10:30 mile. Today I ran the 8 in 1:15:39 - that's less then a 9:30 mile! I'm not consciously pushing myself at all, either.

2.5 weeks until my surgery and then at least 6 weeks off running :( Just as I'm getting good!

That's great! I find that my improvements tend to come on all of a sudden too :) 6 weeks off! Might sound scary, but it seems you have enough of a base that won't lose all your fitness and bounce back quickly.

K9Owner
04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for starting a new thread Ncuneo :)

8 miles DONE today! I got a later start than I was expecting, but I woke up at 2am, back to sleep @ 4am, then woke back up after hitting snooze @ 0730! I wanted to begin my run at 0730--oh well, 9ish it was!
I had my pre-run fuel and remembered my GU for after the 1st 45 min.
If you've never tried GU, I recommend it--especially the Roctane--2x Caffeine. Yeah--yeah I know not good to inhale a bunch of artificial Pump-Up while training, but the extra push sure is nice when you're legs are heavy!

After the run, I took my K9s for the Recovery Walk 1.28 miler.

My time sucks! I walked a total of 10 times for 1 min each. It was hot here, like mid 80s. I had a bandana and a running cap on, which held the heat in my body. I'm not too concerned with the time. Just to be able to run 8 miles at one time is pretty awesome for a gyal like me.

Next week: 9 miles!

I had been experiencing a mild case of tendonitis on my right posterior tibial tendon. I bought new shoes, new socks (for previous blisters), and new inserts. I also RICEd it for over a week. I have FINALLY been able to run pain/blister free! The only issue I'm having now is with my right 2nd toe. I think I will lose this nail like I did the left one. It is super tender on the tip!

Oh, for those unaware--My first 1/2 Mary is April 28! :running:

mkroyer
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
K9-
i also have post tib tendonitis... do you have high arches? what STYLE of shoe do you run in? not brand, rather neutral, stability, minimalist, etc.....?

K9Owner
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
mk:Stability. I have a little overpronation.

Periwinkle8
04-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I just started the C25K program TODAY! I guess today is the first day of the rest of my life, huh?

Sunday, April 1: Week 1, Day 1
Distance: 1.5 miles
Time: 25.53
Average Pace: 17:11/mi

~Peri

alaskanlaughter
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
i like to run too...i can run a mile without stopping but i tend to run by breaking things into intervals because i get so easily bored LOL

i'd like to run a 5K in the fall...right now i have 45 minutes daily on the treadmill that i used to run 2 miles or less in intervals of half miles...also been working on speed...i have a hard time with faster speeds because my hips dont rotate properly to propel my legs that fast or a long enough stride...

Tuca125
04-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Trying to jump on here.... Did 9 miles this morning , doing 1 tomorow and starting weigth training again. Doing a half marathon on may 6 and planin on a full on october.

LondonGirl88
04-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Hey ladies! I do interval running myself but am also having a week off because of a painful calf.

How do you all deal with weight loss while running? Did your weight slow down at all??

K9Owner
04-02-2012, 08:26 AM
How do you all deal with weight loss while running? Did your weight slow down at all??

I have stopped trying to lose now that I am training for this 1/2. I have to eat too much to stay fueled for training to concentrate on a deficit at this point.

LovelyAndLosing
04-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I started running in January of 2010, could barely make it 5 minutes, two weeks ago today, I ran a marathon! So anyone can do this so let's do it!

That is certainly an inspiration! I'm trying to run a 10K by June 9th. Right now I can walk/run 5K in about 34 minutes and can run 2 miles approx without stopping. I have a ways to go, but I think I can make it!

This morning (I go to the gym at 6am), I did HIIT. - six 60s intervals at 9.0 followed by 60s fast walk at 4.0 (with warm up/cool down).

Thanks for the thread, I'm not a natural runner so I need the motivation!

beachlover86
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone,

I'd love to join in. I am running about 3 miles right now. Taking it slow after a couple knee surgeries. I just registered for an 8k at the end of the month. Working towards a half, depending on how i hold up. You guys are great motivation!

krampus
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm getting back to where I was in the winter/spring when I was running more regularly. On Friday after work I ran about 5 miles and only took a total of ~2 minutes in walking breaks. My total time was just about 55 minutes, not fast but I was very pleased and encouraged.

I started smoking again and that impedes my running ability - I am hoping that by keeping running I'll phase out smoking "naturally" like I did in the fall of 2010.

devadiva
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Ran my usual 4 mile route today. Super windy my time was a bit slower but great run...my walkman decided to work today.Shuffle arrives later this weekno more temermental music!

Aunty Jam
04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Hey... me again.... I missed my run on friday, so ran on saturday and skipped my sunday run. Thought I'd run today but didn't turn on my alarm so didn't get up (of course). I've been doing quite a bit of running, I have a pain in my left shin to the right of the bone. It doesn't seem like a shin splint but I guess it could be. I'm thinking I need to stick to the plan and no do so much extra distance (even though I really want tooooooo!). They say you can't/shouldn't increase speed and distance at the same time. I'm still hoping to do a 10k in July.

Cherrypie - Do you run with the dogs in your avatar? I've ran with my older dog last year and I'd really like to run with the both him and the younger one this year. I'm not sure how I'll manage to run with 2 dogs though! How did you start out? Even my older dog isn't that well trained for running, he's probably forgotten everything since we haven't ran together since last fall. I'm also worried about just taking one since there is a jealously issue between them.

CherryPie99
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Yes I do run with my boys! I bought a tandem lead from Amazon - I hook the leash to that and then wrap the leash around my hand several times so they don't have a ton of lead.

My boys are very well trained but sometimes my white boy will get really excited - especially at the start of a run - and will try to get my brindle boy to play - jumping and biting at him - while we run. They don't typically get into the groove until a mile in.

ncuneo
04-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Well that's more like it!! Page two and its already day 2!

I also have posterior tibial tendonitis. I use an extra arch support when it flares up and I just got some KT tape for this latest flare up. God forbid I actually take time off running. I usually have the most trouble with it when my milage gets high.

Yesterdays run was an amazing trail run, my first, until I started my period at mile 6 (sorry tmi) then I ran in misery for another mile before I finally called it and walked home.

Starting a modified version of the FIRST training program Wednesday, modified meaning I won't be running at 100% effort for another week or two. My next race is June 3rd...still undecided on the half or full at this point.

Sounds like everyone is doing fantastic! Keep it up!

chickadee32
04-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Hi to all the April runners!!

I did my first run at a new speed tonight, 3 miles @ 5.3 mph. It was tough the last mile, but that always seems to be the case when I increase the speed. Either way, that's the fastest steady-pace run I've ever done, so I was pretty happy when I finished. :D

Wednesday night will be 3.5 miles at the same speed, and another 3 miles at that speed on Friday night, and then I'll try to up the pace again on Sunday to 5.4 mph. I suspect that I might need to start adding an extra run into these sets before increasing the speed (4 runs at each speed, rather than 3)... my legs seem to do fine, but my lungs may need a bit more time to catch up. My goal this month though is to get to the point where I'm running at 5.5 mph comfortably. :)

takingcontrol
04-03-2012, 08:21 AM
HI all,

I'd by no means call myself a runner, more of a pretty poor jogger who cycles between getting half way through C25K and giving up, then nothing for a few months until I try (and fail!) again.

But, this time, I'm hoping it'll be different, as my running is happening alongside gym classes which I never did before, and I know my general cardio fitness is much better than in the past, so I'm hoping I can make a runner of myself yet!

Signed up to a 5k on May 20th for Cancer Research, and I'd LOVE to be able to jog my way around, but I've a long way to go!

I'm loosely following C25K, but trying to use my past failures to guide me as to where I need to tweak the program to make it work.

I find that on flat/slightly downwards rolling ground I could probably go along way now, I've finally developed a comfortable gait, worked out the breathing and seem to be able to zone into my music and just keep going. HOWEVER, add in a hill or any real sort of incline and I really struggle, both my legs and my lungs can't take hills! If I manage to talk myself into not giving up and keep going (albeit very slowly) I do find that my recovery time is pretty short once I either get to the top of the hill or get to a walking interval, but whilst actually in the hill run, I find it massively tough.

So, I come here looking for advise really. What is the best way to train myself to be a 'better' hill runner? Is it simply by running hills as often as I can and pushing myself? Id it by mixing hill runs with runs without hills? Or can I do something completely different from running that will help me with my stamina? Any ideas massively appreciated. I really hope to one day be writing that I AM a runner, rather than a hopeful!

mkroyer
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Krampus--- im right there with you on the smoking... bleh.
i HATE myself as a smoker, and its kind of embarrassing hiding behind dumpsters BEFORE a race to puff one down real quick, lol. oh ya, and i livei n Colorado--the healthiest ('read pious) state, right? I cant even go into the City of Boulder without being ostracized because my shoes arent recycled, i dont drive a subaru, i smoke cigs (which is outlawed in the city) but i dont smoke pot, and i work for an oil and gas company... blah blah blah
i have nothing of importance to contribute to this thread at the moment

Aunty-- sounds like shin splints -- sorry. get em checked out by a SPORTS doc if it continues. The right shoes will solve the problem though, or re-learning to run will (new shoes are easier tho) ;)

Ive been slowely comingo outta my funk. Looking to get financed to buy this really nice road bike. Ive been skiing, even got my pass for next year...... the running will come, i think.......i hope.......

philana
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Today was my first run after a break for a week. My shins are not sore. I stretched and I put ice on them right after my run. I also had a short run. So I think I am fine!

Did 2miles in 20mins. I usually run 11.5min/mile so I really had to push myself. My heartrate is usually around 165-170 when running and now it went to 190 here and there. LOL. Anyhow, it was awesome. I am gonna do that once or twice a week and do long runs on the other 2/3 running days I think. I don't like real tempo-runs the way they are suppose to be done with certain distances or building up to speed because it means I have to really pay a lot of attention. This I just do by running faster than normal and slowing when my heartrate hits 185/190 to bring it back to 175 again. No clue if it's effective. I'm just doing my own thing. Any tips are welcome!

krampus
04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
mkroyer, I shouldn't find others' addictions comforting, but I do - you're proof one can run marathons AND smoke (Of course we should quit so we don't die horrible deaths). I live in a pretty non-health-focused area and I think living somewhere like CO or Seattle or Portland would make me want to rebel and start littering or something dumb.

Ran about 3 1/2 miles yesterday, I had nothing but PF Chang's fueling me (dinner, and leftovers for lunch the next day) and I was exhausted by the time I was done. Better fuel myself with better fuel.

Aunty Jam
04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Cherrypie - so your boys are ahead of you when you run? How do you like it that way? I've always read it's best to have them beside you in a heel position. I have a problem with my older one tugging on the leash... he's an odd dog, the trainer says he's an all or nothing type, so when he's walking he's WALKING! He wants to go as fast as he can and as far as he can, he's a bit of a neurotic border collie cross. My other boy tends to follow him but he's not a puller. I'm thinking I'll use a halti on the old guy and their short leashes and start walking them up and down the block for training. How old are yours and how long have you been running with them?

Mkroyer - Colorado sounds like an interesting place! I've always wanted to visit, but recycled shoes? I used to smoke so I can understand your pain. I quit about 7 years ago and it was probably the hardest thing I ever did in my life. I couldn't imagine trying to run while being a smoker. I've taken a few days off, I was really going hard, doing 7-ish k every other day instead of my regular 5k and faster to boot. that was probably my bodies way of saying "To much! To soon!". I'll be running tomorrow (providing I can get up!) but just my usual 5 k, I'm going to stick to the program!

kcrampus - Good luck quitting, it was the hardest but probably the best (or second best) thing I ever did. And I agree with you about the food.... when I eat crud I feel like crud.

Ncuneo - Another race already? Have you fully recovered from the other one yet?

defenestrator
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Aunty Jam -- I run with my Husky/Australian Shepherd cross. He would like it very much if I ran 10-12 miles a day. I disappoint him by only running 4-6, then he gets a 2.5 mile walk with my husband in the afternoon and a much shorter walk in the evening.

Until a few weeks ago, we were running in a gentle leader and I kept him in the heel position. I've been transitioning to just attaching the leash to his neck collar and that has been going ok. He still is just beside me. He has a hard time not reacting to quickly approaching bikes and dogs and trash trucks.

Having to run him is a great motivator for me and gets me out when I would much rather sleep in (like this morning). I am training for a half-marathon this fall (I have a long ways to go -- I am still taking walk breaks when I do my six mile loop) and I am thinking he'll be with me every step of the way.

ncuneo
04-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Aunty Jam...no I am not fully recovered...and I making sure that I am not denying myself that fact, because it would be a crucial mistake to do so. I plan to be super careful with my training rest when I need to and not push when I shouldn't. Because of the weather where I live and familial obligations my training window is very limited so June will be my last opportunity for a full until next year...so I'm going to do it! Just got off the phone with registration and I'm upgraded.

I think what made me do what that I was hesitating to upgrade...couldn't figure out why...then I realized it was because I was afraid of failing...failing at my time goal or finishing slower than my first marathon...but here's the thing...it is very unlikely I will improve my time by much at my second marathon because my training will be limited, I'm not fully recovered and so forth and so on, so I think it will be a really good lesson for me in acceptance...acceptance of things that I can't control, things that are just out of reach for me and my abilities.

I had to accept that I was never going to obtain the body I wanted because...well let's face it, after losing 130 lbs, our bodies just don't look the same...so I had to stop trying to lose weight and stop obsessing about...no I need to do the same with running.

Anyway, this is getting legnthy and I need to process the fact that I just impulsively upgraded my half marathong to full in less than 9 weeks! LOL...seriously though.

Great job everyone! Oh and MK and Krampus - get rid of those cigarettes! :D

mkroyer
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
i could run a full mary and smoke the entire time while i do it!! ;)

Nceuno-- sometimes i forget that youve lost 130 lbs! This weight is how i *know you* :)

CherryPie99
04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Cherrypie - so your boys are ahead of you when you run? How do you like it that way? I've always read it's best to have them beside you in a heel position. I have a problem with my older one tugging on the leash... he's an odd dog, the trainer says he's an all or nothing type, so when he's walking he's WALKING! He wants to go as fast as he can and as far as he can, he's a bit of a neurotic border collie cross. My other boy tends to follow him but he's not a puller. I'm thinking I'll use a halti on the old guy and their short leashes and start walking them up and down the block for training. How old are yours and how long have you been running with them?

My boys will turn 3 and 2 this summer and I only started running with them last summer on short distances (they also have been running on the treadmill). If I walk with them they are totally in heel. If I run with one, that one totally heels. Something "pack mentality" seems to kick in when I run with both and they sometimes get ahead of me. I try to keep them at heel but with both of them they want to be slightly in front of me. Not directly in front but to my left and front. But I can pull them back - usually a short hard tug on the leash does that.

I would suggest really working hard on heel for your older boy, be really strict with it even when walking. A halti might help. And start with short runs. I find for dogs that a trot is not terribly natural - better so for mine from working dog lines - but a herding dog like yours is going to want to SPRINT or WALK - trotting will be unnatural feeling to him.

ncuneo
04-03-2012, 07:45 PM
i could run a full mary and smoke the entire time while i do it!!

Nceuno-- sometimes i forget that youve lost 130 lbs! This weight is how i *know you*

I might pay money to see that LOL!

Sometimes I wish I'd forget I've lost 130 lbs...I know we all think we should never forget where we've come from...it's an important part of the journey...but honestly I feel like I was always this person I am today (athletic, confident, capable) just trapped in someone else's body...but my saggy tummy may never let me forget! Oh well!

Periwinkle8
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM
C25K, Week one, day one, v. 2
Distance: 1.65 miles
Time: 28:27
Pace: 17:16/mi.

Trying hard not to do too much too soon. I definitely feel like I could run more, but I don't want to have my knees get sore. The weather is beautiful, so it was actually fun to get out and run.

~Peri

beachlover86
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Ran three miles today on a new outside loop. Felt pretty good but tough towards the end. Hadn't ran outside in a while.

drake3272004
04-04-2012, 01:20 AM
I started running for the first time a month ago. I am only able to sprint short distances at this point, between asthma and shin splints, it's pretty slow going.
I did go out this weekend and got some "real" running shoes. Made a world of difference. However, I didn't take into account that I run on dirt roads and that rocks would get stuck in my shoes. Didn't seem to make a difference in my run, but we see.
So, I am only up to a mile at this point. Not sure what I am shooting for as far as goals. Just happy that I am moving :)

Bigknitter
04-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I'd like to join in :)

Right now I'm doing a long and easy-ish marathon training program from Hal Higdon. I'm on my 3rd week, will be running 4 days a week. I hope to run the Portland (OR) marathon in October!

Yesterday I did 2.25 miles and today I am to do 3.

I have been running off and on for a few years, done some half marathons and 5k races. Not fast at all, right now I average between 10 and 11 min. miles. My goals for this year are to keep running, do the marathon, and get a little faster!

mkroyer
04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
BigKnitter--

shouldnt you be starting the training program sometime in June then? Hals programs are 16-20 weeks for a full marathon.....
Please dont hybrid the program.. it was written that way for a reason.

For some reason, first time marathoners feel like they could do better if they stretched the program out, to twice as long or whatever. But they are designed with very specific mileage buildups, step back weeks, etc.....Not to mention prevention of burn out

Now, if you need a program in the meantime TO BUILD your weekly mileage and longest run distances, there are many out there designed for just that.....

and speed will come naturally as you loose weight.
However, DONT expect to lose weight by training for a marathon. Another common mistake

Bigknitter
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
mkroyer I am actually using the Novice Supreme program (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program), and it is for 30 weeks. I have 26 1/2 weeks left.

The mileage right now is just kind of building a base, so I'm just trying to stick with it and get used to the 4 days a week. I was doing 3 before. While I would love to lose while training for the marathon, and I think I will be able to until the mileage gets high, I'm not that worried about it. I feel like I can do pretty well for what I want to accomplish at around 140. The mileage will be difficult for me around July so I hope to have lost another 10-15 maybe by then.

Anyway like I said my main goal is to finish. I have committed to staying on track this year and just make healthy habits and keep them. Whatever I lose is whatever I lose and I'm going to try to be okay with that.

Thank you for the input!

Forgot to add that I did 4 miles today instead of 3 :)

free1
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Scared to jump in but I want to hold myself accountable. Started C25K this week....Tomorrow, I'll finish W1. I'd like to do a 5K on June 16th (aggressive I know). I love dropping in for the advice.

mkroyer
04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
BigKnitter-
thats a new program from Hal! But it was exactly what i was saying.... a base building period that he just combined with his regular 18 week novice plan ( a GREAT plan, btw).
i thought you took his 18 week novice plan and tried to double it in length, or something.. basically like repeat each week before moving on, kind of thing.

You ABSOLUTELY should have no problem continuing to lose during the base building 12 weeks, since youre not entirely new to running. remember, its all in the deficit, and if you keep your intensity LOW during the 12 weeks, you could drop a decent chunk of weight which equals for you--> FREE SPEED.

Im excited for you... i remember i decided to start training for my first, also an October Marathon, around March, so ~ 6 months before the race. I had a hard time not diving into a marathong training program, but instead decided to train(loosely)/ run a half in May, so i could begin the actual marathon training at the beginning of June. I already had the ability/ experience of running 2 halfs by that point though.

Bigknitter
04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
mkroyer thank you for the encouragement!! Some days I think I was nuts to sign up :lol: But I think I can do it.

beachlover86
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Bigknitter that looks like a really good schedule. You got it!!!!

Does anyone recommend a specific training schedule for a half? I'm pretty clueless on anything over 5K which is the distance I usually stick with. But doing an 8k at the end of the month and would like to build up to a half.

shananigans
04-04-2012, 05:46 PM
3.5 mi on Sun and 4 today, pretty steady 12 minute miles. I'm in MD visiting my in-laws and friends over spring break this week, I've been running on a nice trail near my MIL's house. Nice change of scenery and no big long hills here like there are near my house. Gearing up for an 8k on 4/28, hoping to be up to 5 mi end of next week and have a little time to work on speed

chickadee32
04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Bigknitter, that's so exciting!!! I was looking at the link for your marathon training schedule while I was at work today, and I was so inspired that I decided I'm going to train for and run a 10K in a few weeks using a shortened version of the 10K Novice Training Program (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program) on that same site. I figured - I can already run 5 miles pretty comfortably, so why not try it??

Here are my questions for the group though. I'm going to be starting the training program in week 5, as the 10K race I'm going to do is in 3.5 weeks (on April 28). Given that I already do 5 miles as my long runs (and did one just this past Friday), does it seem ok if I up the mileage for the long runs - i.e. do 5.5 miles this weekend instead of 4.5, and increase the long run mileage by the recommended increment (0.5 miles) from there? That would have me doing 6.5 miles as the last long run before the race. Also, does it seem like it would be ok to do the 2 mile runs as 2.5 mile runs instead? That would put my starting weekly mileage closer to where it was last week, instead of decreasing it.

I'm really excited!

btw, beachlover86, there are half marathon training programs on that website as well. I was looking at those too, and thinking maybe someday...

ncuneo
04-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Yes I'm loving the interaction! Yay!

Hal has great programs for all distances, halfs, 10ks what have you.

That Novice Supreme program looks fantastic and I'm super excited for you Bigknitter!

Chickadee - I'm a little uneducated when it comes to the shorter distances, what your suggesting sounds fine to me, but MK will be better able to answer that for you.

Did my first FIRST training run today - it was a 4 mile speed workout. 4x 400s with a mile warm up and a mile cool down. I need to get out there and do a time trial...I'm kinda shooting in the dark with my training pace times right now. Think I may do that Friday instead of the tempo run...kind of defeats the purpose of the program if I'm not running the proper paces.

MBN
04-05-2012, 07:49 AM
BigKnitter--
However, DONT expect to lose weight by training for a marathon. Another common mistake

Jumping back in after a long absence ... hi everyone :wave:

I totally second that comment. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. For me, when I get to the longer runs (>15 miles), I end up having to taper and recover around them, which impacts my cross training (calorie burn). Plus your body starts demanding more calories to fuel that run, and it's hard for me to find the right balance. Less burn, more fuel = gain (or at least, no loss).

Over the last 18 months, I've run 10 half marathons, 4 marathons, and two 50K ultramarathons. And I've gained 10 pounds. :fr: NOT to discourage you from training for marathons, they are a wonderful accomplishment. It's just that you have to really watch intake / outgo, better than I have!

I'm finished with my running season and am going to maintain only moderate running with lots of crosstraining to amp up the burn and try to take off some of these extra pounds. I'm going to take some time off of marathon training.

A week after my last 50K race, the blisters are healing, and I got back on the treadmill for a 4 mile recovery jog/walk. Shooting for 10-12 miles this week, but lots of other training and group ex.

beachlover86
04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
MBN- WOW!!!!! you are insane! (in an awesome I'm completely amazed kind of way!) Those are amazing accomplishments!

Thanks guys for the recommendations, I'll have to take a look at them. Ran only 2.5 miles yesterday, I usually try not to run several days in a row, my knees don't do so well and they definitly reminded me of that yesterday. Finished though and taking today off. Plus we have family in town maybe just get everyone out for a nice walk.

Bigknitter
04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow thanks for all of the encouragement ladies! Love it :)

Well I was going to do 2 miles today, but yesterday my calf was being weird so I wore my compression sleeve all day. Then I decided to start rolling and trying to massage it, maybe I did it too much because it feels kind of crazy today. I do want to go out and do it but I think I will just take the day off and hope it works itself out before my next run on Saturday.

@MBN - That is some amazing running!! Also yes I have been wondering what I will do when the runs get longer, trying to find any info that will be helpful. In fact if anyone has tips or thoughts on nutrition, or wants to share what works for them as far as what to eat I know I would appreciate it :) Right now I'm really trying to focus more on the fruits, veggies, and getting my protein at 25% of my calories. Most of what I find seems to jive with this, is it really that simple? :lol:

mkroyer
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Chickadee: Since Nceuno passed this one off to me... KIDDING ;)

Honestly? do you want my super most HONEST OPINION?

You could run the 10K tomorrow.

If you can run 5, you can run 6.2. An extra 10-15 minutes? Not to mention race day excitement/endorphins? (dont underestimate that)

I think the "10%" rule is taken a bit too literally and seriously alot of the time. Granted, if you are prone to injuries, new to running, etc, the 10% rule is good till you have a feel for the sport, till your body is used to the impact.

Whats your total weekely mileage?

Of course bump the 2 miler up to 2.5 or 3.1..... Youre not following the program anyway (im sorry, i didnt mean that to be mean).

I always found Hals programs to be a bit conservative on the "rest/recovery run" end. Even his advanced prgrams.

i think youre mentally talking yourself down. Ie; if you NEED to step up by half mile increments over the next 3 weeks, then do that..... for confidence, i suppose.

Me? id go out on saturday and run a 6 miler~ THAT would be all the confidence i need to know that i am ready--> AND YOU ARE.

My First 10K (FLASHBACK TIME)--
Id been "working out" for a couple years, consistently, but i was NOT a runner. Maybe a mile here or there on the treadmill....

On Mothers day (middle of Mayish?) I woke up, watched the news, and saw an advertisement for the Bolder Boulder, on Memorial Day. I said to myself, "I think Ill run the Bolder Boulder!" (Say it like Elle on Legally Blonde in your head).

FOr those who are not familiar, the Bolder Boulder is the largest 10K in the world. Kenyan runners, Olympic althletes, all that, PLUS another 50,000 runners on top of that. Huge race, and NOT one you can PR are lol.

So, i had 2-3 weeks to go from NON-runner to 10K completer. I went out that day and i ran 3-4 miles. I ran the next day more, and within 4or 5 days i was up to 5-6 miles. I ran every single day. no rest days (didnt know a THING about running) and on the day of the Bolder Boulder i went out, ran my first 10K in 1:02 something something (EXACTLY a 10 min/mile) and i was HOOKED. I am now competivie at the 10K, locally, and its my favorite distance. Its a HARD HARD distance to perfect, and get faster at.
Marathoning is just about endurance, BOREDOM, and time on your feet (HA!) Love you Nceuno ;)

My point is, its current running "dogma" thats puts boundaries in our heads.

SHATTER THEM

DrivenByAmbition
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I really, really want to start running... I'm just afraid it will stall my weight loss :( How did you all conquer that fear and push through?

mkroyer
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
eat less then you burn... end of story.

I lost too MUCH weight marathon training (but i wasnt eating enough, and NO CARBS at all) ended up with a LOT of damage, metabolically/hormonally/reproductively.

its ALL ABOUT DIET. Starting running will merely increase your daily caloric burn, and idf you dont give into the " i deserve a ____ becasue i ran" then youll be fine :)

It entirely different when you start out, in a good way. its not about 2 -5 hour runs, and proper fueling/nutrition strategy, etc.

Put on a pair of running shoes, stay within your points allowed (Dont eat them back, or Activity points or whtever) and enjoy yourself

SGeranium
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Wow Kaboom!!!! Nice to see all the activity, well done ladies! So many people with PLANS. I love PLANS!!!!!

My half marathon training is chugging along . I need to get out on trails though as it is a trail half mary. It's just been so impossibly cold and rainy. I can deal with one or the other apparently ......... My hot yoga experiment went super well, if only that wasn't such a time commitment... My hamstring/ Achilles haven't felt this loose in a long time. I just got some compression leg sleeves and I'm excited to try them out. Maybe on a trail run?????

MK: what about Fort Collins? Dh has been lobbying me to move to Fort Collins lately. Thoughts?

chickadee32
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
mkroyer, thanks a super ton for all the feedback. I really, really appreciate it. You're probably right that I could do it tomorrow (the 5.1 miles I ran last week was fine, and I knew when I finished that I could have gone longer); it's probably more mental than anything. About 95% of my running is done on the treadmill, which is part of why I feel like I need to work up to the race distance and get comfortable with it before being outside on race day. I'm actually going to go walk the 10K route on Sunday to get a feel for it, but from what I've read it's pretty flat, so that seems encouraging. :lol:

Weekly mileage has been pretty consistently around 10 miles/week for the last several weeks (not including any deliberate walking exercise, which probably adds another few miles/wk). Last week's mileage was 11.5, as I did that long run on Friday after a 3 mi and 3.5 mi run earlier in the week. This week was 3 mi on Mon night, 2.5 mi last night, and then if I do the 5.5 mi on Saturday that will be 11 miles.

I'm still somewhat new to running, and still getting used to it a bit I think. I started running in late September when I was pissed off one day, ran a 5K four weeks later, and then had to stop running 2 weeks after that (early Nov) for medical reasons. I started up again in mid-January and ran for 3 weeks, had to stop again for 2 weeks, and then started up again mid-February and have been running since then. So really, I've been a runner for about 15-16 weeks in total, lol. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've stopped thinking, every single time I got on the treadmill for a run, "last time was a fluke. all those previous times were. you can't run, you're not going to be able to do it."

But a little bit of confidence is finally starting to come. My 10K time won't be pretty (I'd love to just get under 1:15, as my long runs on the treadmill will probably be at 4.8 mph), but I think I'll be able to run the whole thing.

I'm totally blown away, btw, that you went out an ran a 10K at all, let alone at a 10 min/mile pace, just 2-3 weeks after starting running! :dizzy:

MBN
04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Just want to say ... I am a BIG fan of run/walk interval training for distance races. I understand the goal of wanting to run an entire race without walking, and that's a worthy goal. But, I'm here to tell you, that many people complete all sorts of races (with respectable times) using that strategy.

For me: walking intervals (even if short), give my legs and lungs a break, allowing me to run faster at the end than I would otherwise have been able to go. It's counterintuitive, but it works. Walking isn't a failure, it's a strategy.

A brisk walking pace is 15-16 minutes per mile. A slow running pace is 12-13 min/mi. Throwing in a few walk breaks really doesn't make that much difference in your overall time anyway.

And -- Chickadee, your first race is a guaranteed PR!! Time doesn't matter, only finishing!!

ncuneo
04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Chickadee: Since Nceuno passed this one off to me... KIDDING

I've gotten so lazy LOL!

As always though MK - great advice!

And the eat less that you burn...more great advice. I gained a little towards the end of my training...because...I ate too much...shocking. But I knew what was going on, it was no suprise. Most of what I gained has been lost in the almost three weeks since, so not a big deal.

Eating to fuel running is a different mindset that eating to lose weight, it's a hard thing to navigate sometimes.

I'm "supposed" to be resting today...felt like I kind of need a true rest day...but I really NEED to run today...so we'll see if I'm able to sneak out of the office early and squeeze one in.

mkroyer
04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Ncueno--- youll KNOW what the proper paces are, in the FIRST program..because they will be *too* hard.
Im serious. You run in your comfort zone. Say goodbye to THAT...you will TRULY KNOW what it feels like to be uncomfortable.
Are you doing the FIRST marathon prgram? Half marathon? 10K?
I remember training with FIRST for a 10K to work on my speed, and a tempo run called for 6 miles ~ 2 mile warm up, and 4 miles in under 28 minutes. I thought i was going to die. I didnt make my time goal on that training run. But it was close, and so was the food and stomach bile rising in my throat the whole 4 miles.

The prgram is no joke. BUt it WILL make you better

You can use your comfort zone pace. Call that your "easy/long run/recovery pace" ( i dont remember the specific terminology used). And use the tables from there. Youre threshold is prob goning to be approx 90 seconds to 2 min per mile faster. Thats what your tempo runs will be at. Ya. Thats right. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. And remember, you can do ANYTHING for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes, or 1:30 seconds, etc.......

The hardest for me was the "long runs" and the paces i weas suppsed to hit on those........ My long runs are comfy (arent they all?). I dont think i ever really hit the right paces on a one of the long runs. Maybe *Overall* ~ as in, hauling butt faster than prescribed when i could ( at the end, or going downhill or on fast flats) but overall i was not able to maintain their paces for 8-10 miles staight.

Ummm... Good luck!!! :)

So, i actually RAN this morning. WOW,. On a treadmill, but i ran, none-the less. Tomoorw i have an a.m. Dr. appt, so i plan on running again, only outside this time.. its Been a LONG TIME since ive run outside in the early morning. I need to "train" my legs to move that fast again when i wake up.
Then my daughter has a soccer game at 9 :30 am on Sat, morning, so it looks like i will do ANOTHER early morning run.....

Thast my plan, anyway..... 3 days straight of morning running and i just *might* start to find my groove again

Of course they will be sloppy, and HEAVY, and slow, but i need to forge the habit again. When im running (i mean, consistently) i love running. When i am NOT running consistently, i dread it, and its a real crap shoot whether or not i have a good run or a bad run

drake3272004
04-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Did a mile on Tuesday with my new shoes, felt fine on Wednesday so I went out and did a mile. Now I got shin splint pain again. Took today off and just stretched. Think I will be ok, might walk the whole way tomorrow & try sprinting on Saturday.

I suppose there is no way in knowing whether it's my shoes or my weight causing the pain.

mkroyer
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
So, got there and ran this am... day 1, down lol. it wasnt AWFUL.... i mean, *I* was awful, but the run wasnt. it felt good to get out there, even if i only ran for about 40 minutes ( wuth a little walking whenever i felt uncomfy). i went to this lake where there was a porta-potty basicallt in view at all times. This is a huge psychological issue for me. It wasnt too cold ( another issue) my feet oved anf felt fine ( another *cough* excuse).
Isnt that what thy all are anyway?

i was blessed today though, because of my early doctors appt i actually got to SLEEP IN an hour, and STILL run. Im usually at work by 7, which means i wake up by 5 to get to the gym before work, etc.
I recently chppoed (*cough* shaved) my hair off, all except for the VERY front, and bleached the entire thing the brightest, yellowest, brassiest blond you ever saw.... so it only takes me 15 minuts to get ready.

i LOVE the feeling of cutting my hair off, and completely changing my look. Its very liberating. I always do something like that, or get a tatoo, whenever i break up with a boyfriend...... heh.
happy trails

devadiva
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
mkroyer: Guess to those sayings on the bottom you could add...I don't cry I MAKE CHANGE
Today I ran my 5 mile route it felt great did it inaround 53 min. I was late starting my Garmin. BUT today I had TUNES I was a happy runner:] I got my new iPod got it downloaed with 2 1/4 hrs fast songs and set on shuffle all favorites so it keeps me happy!

ncuneo
04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Did my 5k time trial yesterday to give me a baseline for my pacing...whoa...ucomfortable ah **** yeah! I warmed up for 1/2 a mile then stupidly sprinted for 3/4 a mile before the wheels started falling off...was able to hold on and came out at 27:50...it was stupid hot, 85 degrees, and if I hadn't sprinted maybe my time would have been a smidge better, but I'm fine with this and it will work well for me. Hard enough to challenge me, but not so hard that I'll start to hate running...I also ran this morning...this will put me at 5 days this week after my long run Sunday...stupid stupid stupid.

On the injury front, I'm battling 3 right now...2 of them have made massive improvements and not bothering me at all this week...except my hip...fortunately I *think* I know what's going on and the precautions and things I need to do to work it out...I think I also need to go see a chiro...pretty sure my left leg is shorter or longer or something, because all the injuries are concentrated on that side. And I also need to stick like glue to 3 days of running, I know this is what my body prefers and it functions best on that load...my injuries improve, I'm happier, etc.

Trying to run smart and pay attention to my body...but resting injuries is not something I do well...so I either have to be diligent about my stretching, hill avoidance or get knocked out completely and have to cross train...ugh...

Great running people! You all are rocking it!

chickadee32
04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
ncuneo, I found out recently that my left leg is definitely a little longer than my right, and that's what was causing my hip pain. I still need to get a heel lift for my right shoe (just 1/8 inch is what was recommended); apparently you can get them just at any drug store or something?

autodidact
04-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Hello, joining in here!

I am almost at the end of my 5th week of running. I do a walk/run programme.
Week 1 walk 1 min, run 1 min. Continue for 20 mins or so
WeeK 2 walk 1 min run 2 min, continue as above.
I am now walk/running for 35 mins at 5 mins runs at a time, up to 6 mins on Monday.

I also never rest more than 2 days in a row and never run more than 2 days in a row.

I am a barefoot runner. I started literally barefoot on the beach and now I have some minimal shoes.

Why barefoot?
Well about 7 years ago I had an accident and a back operation as a result. I walked with sticks for about 6 months, and then limped or used a stick if I was going further. As the years passed the limp improved unless I was tired or tried to run. I wore flat sandals most of the time, as I was unable to wear heels.
We got a puppy and I walked daily on the beach, my leg got stronger. One day I was chasing the puppy who had gone over to investigate a couple having a picnic! I realised I was running with no limp! I was barefoot.

Some months later I decided to try running. Unfortunately despite expensive running shoes I limped and my foot flopped wildly, so I gave it up. Then my triathlon running daughter suggested I try barefoot, so for the first 3 weeks of my programme I just ran barefoot on the beach. Last week I got some minimal shoes and I can run in them

My first 5k is on May 20th! I hope to do it in a time under 40 mins, but just completing without the leg giving way will be good!

chickadee32
04-07-2012, 03:44 AM
autodidact, that's an amazing story. Congratulations on figuring out what works for you so that you can run!! I'll really be looking forward to hearing about your 5K!

MBN: I'm really going to keep your advice in mind regarding the walking. I think my biggest fear with races is that I'll start out too fast (when I can't control the pace like I can on the treadmill), and then be too knackered later on to keep going through the entire race... and that if I get to that point and have to walk, that I'll be too worn out to start running again. I remember though one night on the treadmill when I began having serious lower abdominal pain after about 20 minutes... I stopped and walked for a few minutes until I felt better, and then I did the last 20 minutes of my run with no problem. I need to remember that, and that I can just walk for a few minutes if I need to, and it's not a big deal.

philana
04-07-2012, 07:13 AM
autodidact - that's just awesome to read! That you went from such a serious injury to running! How did you go about getting used to it? I really want to go barefoot (thus with minimal shoes since there's no beach or nice park trail nearby). I have slightly flat feet and have had joint-issues for years. I feel like if I strengthen my feet they'd do much better running.

--
After my 1 week break I did a 2mile run the other day just fine. But then I wanted to go running yesterday and after just a few steps my shins (insides) started to feel uncomfortable again. I've read so much stuff about shin splints and what it can lead to that I really don't wanna run through it and risk severe injury. But I have to figure out what is causing it. I am thinking it might be my flat feet. From what I've read about that there's 2 ways to approach flat feet and running:
1. Get extra support for your arch with insoles - the downside is that your feet will get 'lazy' and won't improve.
2. Run barefeet/minimal - downside is it takes a while to get used to and could be painful in the beginning. But I've read many cases were people developed such strong feet because of barefoot that their arch returned and they basically "cured" their flat feet with it.

Uhg, I want this figured out so I can go back to running again and get to 10miles.

Any ideas from you guys?

drake3272004
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
autodidact........very inspirational!!!
I am almost to the point of giving up. I'm thinking I need to lose more weight & concentrate on stretching. I can walk, might just stick to that for awhile.

Bigknitter
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Well I took 2 days off from everything hoping that my calf would be better, and it was somewhat but was still bugging me today. I did my 4.5 miles anyway, wore a compression sleeve to see if it would help during the run. I don't know if it did. My splits were pretty good though! Everything was under 10:40 and I actually got 9:38 for a mile, and then my last half mile was 9:40. I was trying to be lighter on my feet and faster and I think it helped. Did an ice bath when I got home since that has really helped me in the past. Anyway! Next run is on Tuesday so I think I have some time to recover before then.

@chickadee - I have thought for a long time that my left leg is longer than my right, I can just feel it. I'm feeling totally vindicated now seeing you say you have the same thing, since my boyfriend always laughs it off when I tell him that. I needed some new running clothes and found some lifts at amazon and will try them out.

philana
04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Just ran 2.5miles (still being careful) and I decided to try and run more on the front of my foot. It felt really weird but much lighter. Maybe I was just running wrong? My calf isn't painful at all now!

chickadee32
04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
philana: Glad it felt better today with the change! I went to a running clinic recently, and that was something they told me to do as well - that I was coming down on the middle of my right foot, and I needed to hit the ground with the ball first. They suggested increasing the cadence of my stride (which feels weird), and trying to think about keeping my feet beneath me at all times (if that makes sense), and that would help in coming down more on the ball of my foot instead of mid-foot. Anyway, I just mention it in case it helps you any further!

Bigknitter: The running clinic I mentioned above was exactly where they told me about one leg being longer than the other. Let me know how the lift works for you - I still need to get one, but am a little scared to try it!

So instead of 5.5 miles on the treadmill today I decided to just go for the 6.2 miles, and I did it!! I went at a nice slow pace (12:30/mile) and definitely felt quite a bit of fatigue in my legs, but that I can handle; it's when my lungs are having a tough time that a run feels hard to me, and that didn't happen at all, even toward the end of the run. It seems like those shorter runs at faster speeds where I am really fighting at the end definitely help cardio-wise with these longer runs. When my lungs are able to keep up like today, I am a happy runner. :)

autodidact
04-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi there, I just did a 5km time trial and did it in 48.07! So there is a starting point.

Barefoot running, arches and flat feet.

Please note I am no expert but I am very happy to share what I do know.
My Dad was an engineer, and interested in industrial archaeology. Often all that would be left of a site would be some kind of arched doorway. As a kid I asked why they were still standing and Dad said it was because arches were so strong. He said the quickest way to weaken an arch was to support it from below and the way to strengthen it was to push down from above.

Assuming that ones foot arch works the same way (I am no doctor, and actually I have no idea) it seemed to me that arch supports in my shoes would make matters worse for my bad leg/foot and going barefoot would help. So I went barefoot a lot. Always at home, with thick socks in winter and barefoot as much as possible outside. It does help that I live on a beach (actually on a sandune). If I wore shoes i wore flip flops or similar as much as possible. Although it was suggested many times that I should wear boots with ankle supports and orthotics with arch supports and a heel lift on my damaged leg I found I was getting strong and stronger just going around barefoot as much as possible.

Fast forward to loosing some of the weight (still some way to go) and my decision to start running.
Note I had been walking barefoot for a number of years at this point. I walked on the beach with the dog. In winter I wore gum boots, and I went barefoot as often as possible.

So running barefoot was just a logical extension of this. Interestingly I did still have to change my stride. This happened naturally when running on the streets in my minimal shoes. They made a lot of noise! I was so embarrassed I moved onto my toes and it all came together.

There are a number of you tube videos that illustrate this.

Chickadee, congratulations on the 6.2 miles!

Philana, so glad changing your stride to the ball of the foot helped your calf. My hubby got painful calves every time he tried to run barefoot, and as soon as he moved to the ball of his foot (he watched on you tube) the pain went away. His trouble is that he is so fit, he is having to take it very slow, and cycle for fitness instead as his muscles adjust.

Drake, keep walking, it will help, honestly. I walked for nearly 2 years before I even considered running. Then when I started running I started so very slowly. Week 1 walk 1 min, run 1 min, keep this up for about 20 mins or so. If this is still hard then do it again for week 2. When you are ready move up to walk 1 min run 2 mins. I did this and today I ran 5km! Not fast, but I ran it!

Hope this answers some questions
Auto.

drake3272004
04-08-2012, 04:32 AM
I didn't even consider my stride possibly being a problem. Food ;) for thought.
This is all new to me.

philana
04-08-2012, 05:08 AM
autodidact: thanks for your thorough response! I so agree on the arch not needing support or it will get weak. My dr told me I had flat feet when I was like 11, they measured insoles for me but I barely wore them. Over time we just 'forgot' about it. And I've always been walking on very flat shoes. Allstars or cheap moccasin-type of sneakers. I've done my backpacking through Europe trip on thin havaianas and had no issues. I walk on my socks as soon as I get home my entire life. I started running only a few months ago and it just doesn't feel right on the shoes I have. I've never had such thick soles or somuch support in my shoes before. Everything I read about going barefoot is that you need to transition into it. But maybe I should just 'start' with it slowly like I did when I started running and leave the overly supportive nikes be. The forefoot-stride is hard on them because the heel is so heavy and big I feel like I need to make a long stride to make sure I am not bumping into my heel. And over-striding is a risk then.

I am so bummed, I don't have money for minimalist shoes right now, I think I have some old All Stars ( this model! click (http://brittneygilbert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/converse-sneakers.jpg) )that would be about the same as minimalist shoes. I might try them for a short run. I've travelled the middle east in them and they are worn out enough that they are pretty wide and leave room for my toes too.

ncuneo
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Ahhh...barefoot running...:) Just do your research guys (sounds like you are).

He said the quickest way to weaken an arch was to support it from below and the way to strengthen it was to push down from above.

I have to say though...this doesn't make sense. If you take an arch (a structural member let's say a piece of wood or steel) and put a constant force pusing down on it with no support below, if that arch does not have the structural integrity to accept that load, it will fail over time. Now the way the foot is different is that it *can* get stronger (a piece of wood or steel cannot) because it has muscles and tendons...whether or not it will...well that's a completely different issue. I have hear the argument that our arches will get lazy if we provide constant support for them with orthodics or shoes...whether or not I buy that...idk

Barefoot running is like any running concept or issue - there are TONS of opinions on it and you can find doctors and articles to support both. In the end it's like anything else in life, what works for YOU? That's what you have to determine, but you have to be careful along the way so that you don't get injured futher. So just be careful:)

8-10 miler today...supposed to run it at my marathon pace + 15 seconds...sounds fun.

philana
04-08-2012, 09:31 AM
You are right ncuneo, I don't think it's for everyone. I don't even know if it's for me yet. But with the difficulty I am having with my normal nikes, it's worth a shot for me.

I just did a 2mile run barefoot, no shoes at all, started with thin soled wide shoes, but was curious and went completely barefoot. It was quite exhausting to be honest, the paying so much attention and I felt a bit unstable. But I felt like my stride was better. We will see how this goes. I felt silly more than anything. Haha.

roncygal
04-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Jumping in here. It sounds like most of the folks on this thread have way more experience running than I do, but I figure these are the best folks to learn from.

I'm on week 5 of C25K and it's going beautifully. I'm not sure exactly of my distance because I run on park trails that I can't find mapped, but I think I'm covering about 4k in 35 minutes of run/walk mode. I'm totally hooked and I have to keep telling myself not to jump ahead. (And here I used to think those people who actually enjoyed running were just built differently or, alternatively, crazy!) Occasional shin pain, but I seem to be able to sort that out with the right kind of stretching... I'm hoping it doesn't get worse when I increase my time/distance.

I'm aiming to get to 5k in mid-May and hope to move from there to building up to a 10k. There's a 10k race on July 1 I'd love to compete in - not sure if that's overly ambitious but there seem to be a lot of programs out there that suggest you can work from 5k to a 10k race in about 8 weeks. Something to work towards, anyways!

I need some thoughts on shoes - I'm wearing a pair I bought specifically for running...years ago, when I had great plans that never materialized (the shoes had been sitting in my closet until about 8 weeks ago, when I finally kicked by butt into gear). I also wear the same pair for circuit-training and aerobics. Bad idea? Or does it not matter much at this point given that I'm running short times/distances a few times a week?

devadiva
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Ran my own priviate EASTER 10k did it in 1:04:20 and am very happy with my time. It was just me saw about 20 bunnies 2 hawks dodged a bunch of cowws and calves it was heaven someof the sprinklers are on!

As for vote I vote for shoes lots of padding support and lots of arch support....been a waitress for the last 20 years and the 25 before that I have worked on my feet so this 60 year old body says be very kind to your feet ,arch anckle ect...

autodidact
04-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes I agree, you have to do what works for you. It is interesting though that we have such things as 'racing flats'.

I also think that as I cannot raise the front of my left foot up towards my shins very well, due to my accident, shoes with padding are always going to be a problem for me, unless they are rigid boots. For example, I cannot walk on my heels.

I think it is so important to discuss these things and try as many as we can. I don't think proper minimal shoes are necessary, in the old days everyone used to run marathons in black plimsols, and they are still around. I think allstars would make great minimal running shoes. Actually for me true barefoot is best, but I am too much of a coward! Other people have told me, however, that getting proper running trainers has transformed their lives and their running, and that is great too. It seems to me the important thing is to get out and run, wearing whatever lets you do that!

Have fun running
Auto

PS writing this having just got back from an easy pace half hour jog on the beach.

autodidact
04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=

I have to say though...this doesn't make sense. If you take an arch (a structural member let's say a piece of wood or steel) and put a constant force pusing down on it with no support below, if that arch does not have the structural integrity to accept that load, it will fail over time.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, i know what you mean, however I was told a true arch, rather than a beam will hold up almost anything as long as you load it from above and that is why those slender elegant arches can hold entire cathedral domes with no supporting walls underneath. The arch gets stronger when you press from above.

BUT, I actually have no idea! I'm a seamstress, not an architect!! :dizzy:

Are there any architects or engineers out there who can help us? Sadly, my Dad died this year, or I would ask him.

Auto

chickadee32
04-08-2012, 07:25 PM
devadiva: Your private Easter 10K sounds awesome! Glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

autodidact: Thank you!

I went and walked most of the 10K route for the race on April 28 today just to get a feel for it. It's mainly flat with some small hills, and is mostly packed gravel trail rather than paved trail. There are some larger rocks and tree roots sticking through on the trail, so I'll have to be careful of those, but otherwise it seems pretty manageable. I jogged about a mile of it in the middle just to see how the different surface felt, and it seemed fine. It's going to seem like a long route that day, and I know I'll be more worn out doing it outside than on the treadmill, but I'm pretty sure I can do it and am looking forward to it!

MBN
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Did my first outdoor running since the 50K two weeks ago. I finally feel like I'm recovering from that race. As I get older, I just have to realize that recovery takes longer. Did my usual 5 mile neighborhood loop on Saturday (albeit slowly, with walk breaks) and felt really good after. Then off to church to help prep for services, and still made it to the gym in time for spin class.

Then on Sunday morning, I was finally back out at the beach running with one of my friends. It was a beautiful morning -- I saw 5 different Easter sunrise services in progress. Running on Easter morning along the beach is one of my traditions now, and a wonderfully inspiring way to start the day. I did 8 miles in 1.5 hours, which is still slow, but felt great after.

Running had become almost a chore, and I am mostly looking for the joy again -- and was able to find that this weekend. :D

Aunty Jam
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Hey everyone... sorry for being away :( I did read everyone's posts but there is just to much to comment on it all.

I've got shin splints as was suggested :'( I haven't ran in a week now! Anyone have any idea how long they take to get better? I'm a heel striker and wondering if I should try to change that... anyone have any ideas?

devadiva
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Ran 5 miles today cut 1 min off last time.Yeah!

ncuneo
04-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Are there any architects or engineers out there who can help us? Sadly, my Dad died this year, or I would ask him.

Actually...I am an architect:D Structures was never my strong subject though. I'm trying to remember the specifics of the arches and domes of the cathedrals and am drawing a bit of a blank...I just keep getting caught up in the notion of "arches getting stronger"...I get it in the terms of muscles and ligaments, but in terms of concrete, wood, steel, etc. that is pretty much impossible. Those members can't get stronger. They do have the ability to snap back to form after a load is removed, but the stregnth they have is the strength they have and when you over load them they will fail in time.

I guess maybe could say that about an arch because it supports itself through compression at the center while a straight beam supports itself through tensile strength. However, the arches in our feet are not shaped like a true arch...so that compression would not be the same. Anyway, it's been a long time since school and that's why I rely on engineers:) Sorry about your dad.

Only had time to squeeze in 8 yesterday, but had plenty of stamina to run the 10...it was probably a good think I only could do 8 because I'm becoming increasingly concerned with my injuries. I have no running the next two days, so Wednesday we'll see. But I'm mentally preparing myself to walk if I feel pain. If I'm truly going to make it to the starting line in June I'm better off taking time off now...

chickadee32
04-10-2012, 01:12 AM
MBN: So glad you had joyful runs this weekend!

devadiva: Nice job on shaving off the minute!

I ran my planned 3 miles on the treadmill tonight, and it was all supposed to be at 5.3 mph... but one of the trainers came over to speak to me about something during my run, and I had to cut the speed back to 4.5 mph for a few minutes so I could talk, lol. BUT, I made up for it by upping the speed to 5.5 mph with 5 minutes left to go, and then to 6.0 mph and 6.5 mph for the last two minutes of the run. I was totally happy with how decent I was feeling at 5.5 mph - and I'm making it a goal to do at least one 3 mile run at that speed by the end of the month!

beachlover86
04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Had a busy weekend with visitors and now have a paper do tonight. I'm going to try and squeeze a run in this evening. Hoping it will help clear my mind and maybe I can crank this paper out better. Sounds like everyone is doing great! Getting a little nervous for my 8k in three weeks. I have only run 5k's up to this point and I know it isn't a huge difference but still worried.

Bigknitter
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Sounds like everyone is doing really good!

I have been taking it easy with my calf, trying to do some trigger point massage and foam rolling. Decided to go for it today, did 3 miles on the treadmill in my Merrells. I had to go at 4.8 for most of it to feel comfortable, but I am not feeling pain right now :D Hopefully I will be okay. Taking it outside tomorrow and will see how it goes.

@roncygal - If it were me I'd get something different for other than running stuff, just to keep track of the wear and tear factor so you know when to replace the running shoes.

CherryPie99
04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Cold windy rain drove me back to the treadmill today. Even watching SMASH which I love didn't make the time go fast!! Just 4 miles is all I could make myself do.

4 more run days before I'm out for 6-8 weeks. 2 years ago I couldn't imagine running .5 miles. Now I can't imagine going weeks without being able to run 20-25 miles per week!!

Hopefully the results of the surgery will make it totally worth it!!

sweetemotion
04-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Hey everyone!
I haven't been posting on 3fc for a while (since Christmas-ish), but I've been lurking and still steadily losing weight... This thread caught my eye and I thought I'd jump back in :)
I started C25K back in Sept on the treadmill but beginning of December I was having a lot of problems with my foot and had to back off, and then the holidays came along and I didn't get back into it for quite a while... January I started running on the treadmill again, but it was pretty slow progress.
The last few weeks I've started running outside with the weather being nicer, and I LOVE it!! At first it was difficult, and my muscles were really sore afterwards, which I wasn't really expecting... Now it's becoming a little easier, and I'm so happy because running is no longer a chore, I really enjoy it when I'm outside! And I'm improving every time.
I have a 5k route that I'm doing, and right now my time is at about 36 min... I have yet to run the whole thing without taking any walking breaks though. If I can run it in under 35 min (and preferably with no walking breaks) by next Tuesday I'm going to enter a 5k race on April 29th. Very excited!! I ran cross-country in grade 12, but I've never done road races before.

autodidact
04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Popping in quickly to say Hi,

Had a wet and windy run the morning, but felt great afterwards.

Hi to bpatt. You are faster than me for 5k...but look out....I'll be right behind you! I'm beginning to enjoy running too. Fun isn't it!

devadiva
04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Cold windy rain drove me back to the treadmill today. Even watching SMASH which I love didn't make the time go fast!! Just 4 miles is all I could make myself do.

4 more run days before I'm out for 6-8 weeks. 2 years ago I couldn't imagine running .5 miles. Now I can't imagine going weeks without being able to run 20-25 miles per week!!

Hopefully the results of the surgery will make it totally worth it!!

It will be SO worth it !!!! You have earned this be patinet with your recovery you will be able to walk ect after awhile..and you will be back at it faster and sleeker than ever before YOU GO GIRL!!!! I am watching you:carrot:

MBN
04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
5 mile treadmill run today -- intervals to try to get my speed back up. Still slow, still taking some walk breaks, but definitely seeing progress. I remember the days when I could hop on the TM and knock out 10 min miles all day long .... maybe someday ....

mkroyer
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Well darn it... i had a good thing going with the running there, (for 4 whole days) Hey! it was a streak non-the-less, and THEN....

i FINALLY bought my dream road bike!! i just went out on sat night and DID it! ive been wanting one for a couple years now, literally, and with me being so athletic, and so endurance focused, i KNEW i was going to love it, so i wasnt going to buy a cheap bike, and then have to upgrade in 4 months, kWIM?

So i found this 2000 bike, worth 3000 at LEAST, and on sale for 1299. I couldnt RESIST.
Bought the bike, and now im ALL about it. hehe. I want to ride to work everyday, im planning 40-50 mile rides for every day on the weekends for the next couple weeks, til im ready to up that and head into the mountains... my biggest fear is CARS. But Colroado is VERY road bike friendly. Most of the roads are designed with large shoulders for road bikes, and people here know to watch out for riders, etc... but STILL.... its very scary. I rode into work yesterday and had to be a "vehicle" the whole way. Enjoyed it though. i wish i didnt have school two nights a week or i could ride in more often.
But the way i see it, the road bike is paying for itself. Everyday i ride into work i save 10 dollars on parking ( i work in downtown Denver). Do that 2-3 days a week and i save 120 to 150 bucks a month! thats how much my paytments are for the bike (6 months, interest free)

Now i just have to figure out how to make time to ride in the am AND run.....

mkroyer
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Chickadee-- i hate to say it, but i told you so ;) GREAT JOB on getting out there and doing it!! iknew you were ready!

Ummm---re: heel striking, barefoot running, arches, etc....

its defniitely NOT for everyone. HOWEVER, i you ARE a heel striker, an dy our DOCTOR says its causing problems ( not the 18 year old "specialtst" at Road Runner Sports) Then i do suggest trying barefoot running.... like, literally. either barefoot on your treadmill, or go out to the local HS track/football field. Take off your shoes and socks and either run on the track, or if your are a wuss (JUST KIDDING) run in the grass, parrallel to the track, for a couple laps. Your calfs will make you pay the next day, but you will definitely "unlearn" heel striking" Do that once a week, or so, to stay on top of it. It will forc eyou to ball/forfoot strike, and force you to keep your feet under you. It will also force you to lead your stride from the hips, and NOT from the knees ( heel strikers lead their strides with their knees) You dont have to go out and buy a 100 dollar pair of vibrams

Bigknitter
04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
mkroyer - how cool you got a bike!! I'd love to get a road bike someday, I'm stuck with my mountain bike for now.

Did 3 easy miles today. I think I have been doing too much of a forefoot strike, does anybody know if that would give you calf pain? I was pretty sore and tight from running in my Merrells yesterday too. I did a warm up routine and some jump rope and jumping jacks to make sure I was really warmed up. I tried to go easy and be light on my feet and most of the run was okay. I may just have to resign to going back to only running 3 days a week. I don't want to do that!

mkroyer
04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
BigKnit-- YES, a forefoot strike would give you calf SORENESS......But as your body is/becomes adjusted to the techniques, that sorenss should dissapate

MBN
04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
My husband has been plagued with calf problems and purchased a pair of calf compression sleeves for running. I haven't tried them myself, but he swears by them. He hasn't had any calf issues since. I had other friends that have had good success with them too. Your calf issues may just be due to adjusting to your new gait, but trying out the compression "sleeves" wouldn't hurt (except, maybe, in the pocketbook).

Also - you mention jumping jacks as a warm up ... those kill my calfs. Maybe an added stressor?

Aunty Jam
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
mkroyer - Something to think of for sure, my shins are still really sore. I do dog agility and just running on the padded floor there made them hurt though I'm hoping it was just the amount of sudden starts, stops and direction changes. I may try changing my striking before I try barefoot though. I'm also going to try strengthing my anterior tib muscles and quadriceps, I read that's supposed to help both shin splints and falling arches. How about pictures of you and the bike? Is 40-50 miles your commute to and from work or just what you want to ride? It would take me a week to ride that far!

Cherrypie - Good luck with your surgery!

MBN - How are they supposed to help?

drake3272004
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I love the ideas here!!!!

I am a heel striker :o It was very uncomfortable trying to change stride today, so I think I am going to work on my shins.

I also realized that I don't have the oppurtunity to use stairs in daily life, my work is on first floor and I have no reason to go upstairs in my house (only the kids' rooms up there, older kids).

I attempted to do jump rope to warm up, light jumps but landing on the balls of my feet. I will continue to work on this, I wasn't able to do many :(
And there are some stairs down by the river leading to the bike paths that I am going to try and workout on. Will look silly at first I am sure!

ncuneo
04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
MK - You KNOW you can totally do both, **** do both in one day! My DH is getting back into biking, so excited he's actually taking interest in his health and I'm thinking I may do some biking myself at some point.

Intervals today - 800s at 10k pace - 45-60s...5 miles total, whoa...it was a tough workout! But pretty satisfying...if I didn't have these injuries nagging me I think I could have pushed my pace even further which tells me I may not have my 10k pace dialed in just yet.

Great day everyone!

philana
04-11-2012, 09:11 PM

Did 3 easy miles today. I think I have been doing too much of a forefoot strike, does anybody know if that would give you calf pain? I was pretty sore and tight from running in my Merrells yesterday too.

YES! Ever since my first barefoot run I've had sore calves. Like, really sore. Like, 4 days in and I am still feeling it. Haha. And barefoot is also more of a forefoot strike. I am pretty sure I tiptoed a bit too much which is why it's so intense. I am new to barefoot running and I forgot the part where my heel is still suppose to touch the ground a few times. Hihi. Oh well, I am hoping my calves will come out of this a bit stronger than they were.

chickadee32
04-12-2012, 01:50 AM
mk - Thank you, and yes, you were totally right. :lol: And I was very happy you were! I'm glad you're having such a great time with the bike, but maybe keep running where you can fit it in - you were just starting to have fun with it again!

CherryPie - GOOD LUCK with the surgery! :hug: Everything is going to go great, and you are going to be SO happy you took this step. Come and vent when you're frustrated during recovery, and we'll help get you through it. You'll be back to the gym and back to your usual routines in no time, and 6 months from now you'll look back on these next few weeks as just a blip in time.

bpatt: Welcome!! And just sign up for the race NOW. :D You can already handle the distance, your time right now is totally reasonable, and in 2.5 weeks time you'll be feeling even more confident - and you'll be running even faster on race day with the adrenaline. Just do it!! :)

I ran my planned 2.5 miles tonight at 5.3 mph, and again upped the speed to 5.5 mph with half a mile to go, and then to 6 mph and 6.5 mph the last two minutes. Feeling really good at 5.5 mph, and then totally beat (in a good way) with those higher speeds at the end. Friday or Saturday I'll be doing my long training run (6.5 miles), and then starting Monday I'll up my speed for the shorter runs to 5.4 mph.

I'll be getting my protocol this week for my next IVF cycle, and then I'll know when I need to take a couple weeks off from the running again after the embryo transfer. Based on the timeline for my last cycle, I'm guessing it will be around May 20. So, once I get past this 10K on Apr 28, I'm going to make a plan to get the most out of my running during those following three weeks that I can. :)

mkroyer
04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Chick- im so sorry, i didnt realize you were TTC and having to go to such extents. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that this one takes!!!

Thats got to be exciting too though.... *knowing* the day you are going to become pregnant! The rest of use have to wait till we feel like crap for at least a couple weeks till we have our "DOH!" moment and pee on a stick ;)

I am definitely going to have to figure out a way to do both running and biking. And i have no problem donig both on the same day.. the issue is TIME, at least, during the work week...... And i do feel obliged to see my offspring OCCASSIONALLY, though at this point she's really just raising herself (incredibly independent)

mkroyer
04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Ncueno- im confused... intervals. 10K pace. 800's. 45-60seconds? was that the rest period in BETWEEN the intervals? DO you go to a track for intervals? Just curious. I find it borning to run a track, but when i get really focused on running, its the best way to do short-distance intervals (under 800 meter intervals).

krampus
04-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I ran on the bike path yesterday and managed a mile in 9:30 or something. For some reason I thought I was running a lot more slowly.

Bigknitter
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Well I made it through 3 treadmill miles in some new shoes, a little more supportive than what I've been using. It went okay, did my warmup routine and some jump rope before I ran. Going slower seems to help a bit. I don't know what is going on with me :lol: Just going to try and strike midfoot from now on and do my best to go slower but with good form, also will keep doing the warmup and cool down routines.

Thanks everyone for all of the input and help!

MBN
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
MBN - How are they supposed to help?

Theoretically the compression helps with return blood flow and also helps to minimize the muscle "rebound" that occurs during high impact exercise. I haven't tried them personally, but I have friends (and DH) that really likes them. Here's an unbiased review: http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/06/08/fit-or-fiction-are-compression-garments-effective/ that gives a little more informaiton.

free1
04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Have you all always enjoyed running? I started C25K (W3 coming up). Is it something you enjoyed from the first day or did you grow to love it?

philana
04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Did a 3mile and ran at 8-9min/mile tempo interval. It felt so great though I could not sustain the speed for longer than 2minutes each time, it felt like I was running instead of jogging. I also notice a definate change in my stride even though I wore my nikes instead of barefoot. That one-time barefoot and then walking around on thin soled shoes the whole week and paying extra attention to how I walk gave me more of a 'feel' for how to use my feet.

I also didn't put on music, so I could really focus on my body. Now if only I could do the breathing thing more easily without thought... haha.

philana
04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Have you all always enjoyed running? I started C25K (W3 coming up). Is it something you enjoyed from the first day or did you grow to love it?

Heck no! I've tried running a few times before but I just hated it because I could not even reach the end of my street. I did not see how people could ever run longer than 20minutes and enjoy it! Then I started c25k and saw improvements and was excited, but got bored with it after 5 weeks so I wen't outo n my own. Now I can do 4-6miles easy and I love it. A run shorter than 3miles does not appeal much to me anymore though.

MBN
04-12-2012, 04:11 PM

True story: I never thought I could "run". An incentive program at my company's gym got me on the treadmill and I managed a VERY slow 3 mile jog after a week or so of trying. My running sister then put the bug in my ear to train for a half marathon :yikes: with her. I wanted to try out this running event thing, so signed up for a 5 mile (5 MILE, not 5K!) race 3 weeks later. Yes, I went out and sort of ran a 5 mile race event when I had been running for all of 3 to 4 weeks!

It was really crazy. I took off too fast and was walking inside of 5 minutes. I had absolutely no concept of pacing, hadn't even gone more than 4 miles at one time. Still, I managed to walk/run my way to a sub-hour finish -- as I approached the finish line, I heard the announcer wrapping things up "And thanks everyone for coming out today ...." ;)

BUT -- crossing that finish line was a revelation. People were cheering - for ME. For a total non-athlete, a 40-something gal who had never done anything like this before. I was tired (and later, sore!) but I wanted that feeling again. I signed up for that half marathon, successfully completed it with my sister, and the rest is history: 24 half marathons, 5 full marathons, 2 50K ultramarations and who-knows-how-many shorter races later.

I don't just run, I train. I always have some goal in mind. I do enjoy the run, most of the time! But it took a while to get there. Even now sometimes it's a slog, most of the time it is fun (hard but enjoyable), and occasionally it is joyfully magical. And it is those moments that keep me going.

krampus
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

I didn't think I could ever run, ever, until 2010 (I'm 25). It was miserable when I started out then - I would be shaking and out of breath for hours afterward!

baker23
04-12-2012, 06:12 PM

I absolutely dreaded it at first. I had heard running was a good way to drop weight, so I thought i'd give it a try. I started the third week of November with the C25k program, and managed to keep at it until the 14/15 of December. I hated each and every time I stepped foot onto that treadmill...I gave up for a few weeks.

When January came around, I wanted to give it a go again, but this time with no training plan. I just wanted to run. I had trouble completing the first 5 minutes...but slowly worked my way up to a mile. When I hit that mile run without stopping, something changed. I felt so accomplished and wanted to try and beat that. Keeping in competition with myself totally changed how I saw running. And now I love it, and run 6 days a week. I can do a 6 mile run at a 10 minute pace now. Also training for a 1/2 marathon and crossing fingers I'll be able to complete one before summer is over

CherryPie99
04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
CherryPie - GOOD LUCK with the surgery! :hug: Everything is going to go great, and you are going to be SO happy you took this step. Come and vent when you're frustrated during recovery, and we'll help get you through it. You'll be back to the gym and back to your usual routines in no time, and 6 months from now you'll look back on these next few weeks as just a blip in time.

Thanks so much! I really hope the results are going to be worth it and I hope that they are. I ran 5 miles on my lunch hour today and was trying to envision what I will feel like running without this huge blob of skin bouncing up and down with me every step I take!

drake3272004
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I had a dream a couple months ago that I was running. Running to the point of feeling like I was flying. When I woke up I felt so exhilarated, which never happens. (sleep apnea, lucky to feel awake most mornings even with CPAP)
I want that feeling back! I would get like that occasionally when I used an elliptical, but just feel the need to run since that dream.

wickedlady
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
I had a dream a couple months ago that I was running. Running to the point of feeling like I was flying. When I woke up I felt so exhilarated, which never happens. (sleep apnea, lucky to feel awake most mornings even with CPAP)
I want that feeling back! I would get like that occasionally when I used an elliptical, but just feel the need to run since that dream.

ohh you should do it!! I admire the way children run just for the pure exhiliration of it. I am more of a distance runner but it does sometimes feel good to bust out in a sprint!!

autodidact
04-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Hi there, just been reading through everyones posts.

ChicK: Good luck with the IVF, I shall be thinking of you.

And mkroyer, congats of the bike, its great to read how excited about it you are. I'm looking forward to hearing about your epic bike rides.

Free1. No i have NOT always enjoyed running. I have no idea why i like it so much now either! But i do!

Today was a rest day for me, and I am running both days at the weekend, then not on Monday as we are going away on holiday :) .....but I am taking my running kit with me on holiday of course!

Hi to everyone else, I have read all your posts even if i have not managed to reply

Auto

philana
04-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh gosh, I am gonna pay for my over enthousiasm soooo dearly! I started barefoot running as you might have read. And I did my second barefoot (no shoes at all) run today. I was going in such a nice pace and not getting tired that instead of my planned 2mile run I went for a 3mile/5k run. I have never been able to do 5k under 32minutes. I just did it in 29.20 minutes without feeling any pain in my shins or calves!!!

Only - my soles are so not ready for this yet, so I have two big big blisters on the bottom of my big toes now. I am gonna regret this for the next few days to come. But still. AWESOME to finally run it in under 30 minutes.

ncuneo
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Be careful what you wish for lol! This thread is going so fantastic this month I can't keep up!

Cherrypie! I'm so excited for your surgery I can't even tell you!!!

Philana - really glad to hear you had no pain, not so glad about those blister, yuck!

Chick - fingers crossed for your IVF, I can't say I had trouble getting pregnant, but it took 6 months and that was hard, I can't imagine what you're going through, I hope this is the month!

Everyone else, I'm reading I promise, you're doing fantastic!

Did I love running at the first step? I honestly don't remember...I know I never hated it, but love it? Love it the way I do now? Heck no! It took time for sure, but once I fell I fell hard! I can't imagine my life now without running...it really is like a friend to me and provides me with so many emotional outlets. I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without it now.

Tempo run today, had a little trouble with it because I was having stomach issues and my injures are still plaguing me. I did rest some this week by cutting a few miles off and plan to cut my LR Sunday and push a run back next week if there's no improvement. In general there has been improvement, but there is still some pain in my hammy that's concerning me. What's concerning me more is that these injuries ate probably becoming chronic and I'm becoming used to running injured. Right now my goal is just the June start/finish line, but then it's time for some serious healing. That may sound stupid to a lot of you...but I have some serious issues, mostly mental when it comes to this stuff.

Anywho, you all are doing fantastic!!!!

Bigknitter
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Made it through a pretty crappy run today. I ate about an hour before, guess I will stop doing that. I usually just go on an empty stomach and it has been working fine. I think I need to quit fixing what isn't broken. Seems like I was causing my own calf issues with too much poking and rolling :lol: I am over-thinking the whole running thing, just need to relax and go and not worry so much!

@philana - nice job on the run! I hope your blisters aren't too bad!

drake3272004
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
wickedlady.....I am trying!!! I have never been a runner, so this is all new to me.

I did get a few sprints in on my walk on Wednesday, figuring about 60 feet within a mile. Weather was bad the last couple days, so worked on jump rope & stretching. I did not get any shin splints this week!

shananigans
04-15-2012, 12:01 AM
I never attempted running (outside of the mile in gym class which I always HATED!) till I was 26. During my first weight loss I was primarily swimming for cardio, but I injured my shoulder and had to figure something else out for a while and started the c25k. I didn't immediately love it, but really grew to enjoy the sense of accomplishment. I feel like I burned out on it after the second half-marathon and pretty much stopped running for 2.5 years. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with running.

Bigknitter, I have the same problem trying to run with food in me. Anything other than fruit or maybe a piece of toast needs at least 3-4 hours. Friday I tried running a little more than 2 hours after lunch, that didn't go well at all. It had a lot of fiber, so I guess it wasn't digesting very quickly.

I made it out for two pretty terrible and short runs this week. I had some really good runs on vacation the week before, but had a pretty rough week coming back, one of those things where it feels like nothing can go right. I ended up riding my bike to/from school 4 days this week (usually only do 2 or 3) so I was feeling a little fatigued from that and running on top of it just wasn't going well. Took a nice rest day today, only activity was a 1.7 mi stroll with the dogs. Digging into my mapmyrun.com archive and doing a 4.25 mi route tomorrow, first thing in the morning after some hydration and fruit.

philana
04-15-2012, 06:30 AM
ncuneo & bigknitter: thank you!

ncuneo: I can see how you have set your mind to something and want to continue, I wish you the best and hope you don't aggrevate your injuries in the meantime!

mkroyer: I am saving up to buy myself a racing bike by the end of may/beginning of june. Where I live along a big river there's a ton of cyclists racing b because the bike-lane is very good and goes vor miles and miles. Big benefit of living in a country where everybody rides their bike to commute! Love to read about your experiences with it.

--
I am amazed by my body right now. After my first barefoot run my calves about killed me for days, but my second much longer run did not cause any muscle pain in my lowerlegs. My blisters looked really bad, as in.. bloodred. They still are but all the fluid seems to be absorbed by my body again, and because they are pretty 'deep' I don't think the skin will come off. They are pretty much healed already. I will keep another day rest but then I am out there again!

devadiva
04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Ran 5 miles this morning 43 degrees sunny and new snow on the mts beautiful day to be alive..thankful I can run.

chickadee32
04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
mk, autodidact and ncuneo: Thank you for the good wishes! :hug: I am really hoping this will be the one that sticks. mk, exciting is one way to put it! Between anxiously waiting to find out whether it worked and the hormone injections, I'm pretty much a basket case for two weeks! Btw, I'm sure the offspring will TOTALLY understand if you can't see them because you have to bike AND run. ;)

drake: I think the dream was a sign that you really need to get out and RUN! The sprints sound great. :D

philana: Awesome on the sub-30 5K!!! :carrot: That's one of my "one day..." goals!

ncuneo: It doesn't sound stupid at all. My sister hurt her quad this week and really shouldn't be running at all for another week or so, but it was impossible to get her to stop when I was home this weekend... and I get it. I just hope you get to and through the June race without any problems, and then give yourself some serious time to recover!

Bigknitter: I do NOT do well when I eat a meal before a run. Something smallish (a banana, a yogurt) when I really need it is usually good for enough energy to get me through, and then after the run I feel like I get to "reward" myself with my dinner. :)

cherrypie: I have been thinking about you, and hoping you're feeling ok with the surgery coming up! Good luck again, and please check in with us afterward when you feel up to it. :hug:

shananigans: I hope this morning's run was more enjoyable for you!

devadiva: That sounds awesome. I wish there were some pretty scenery like that around here!

Oh my gosh no. :lol: I used to loathe running, and even when I started running regularly in September I can't say I really enjoyed it... I just enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment I felt from being able to do it. But I love it now!!

I was visiting my parents and sister this weekend, and I got in one short, faster (for me) run outside on Friday, and then did my long run on the treadmill on Saturday. 7 miles, woohoo!! And I felt GOOD - my legs were fine, my lungs were fine, and even with upping the speed the last 15 minutes I felt like I could have easily done another mile or two. Total revelation moment around mile 6: I thought wow - I can actually do this. And I want to do more, and more. My sister is planning to run her first half marathon in September, and I told her that if I'm not pregnant I'll run it with her. I'll be slow as slow can be, but I KNOW I can train for it and do it.

shananigans
04-15-2012, 10:31 PM
The 4.25 I did this morning was probably the most challenging I've done since I started running again because of the hills involved, but I made it through fine and even felt pretty good during parts of it. Took 3 short walk breaks (maybe up to a minute) to catch my breath after a hill and/or mess with my music. Might go ahead and run the race route next weekend as a practice run, but it's not a loop so I'd have to maybe take the bus out there and see if my husband can pick me up when I'm done. Getting a little excited, this race is always a blast! The last time I ran it 2009 I finished the 8k in 48:02, but this year I think I'm shooting for finishing in under an hour.

chickadee32, hope you get the chance to do that half! Or end up pregnant, either would be pretty great actually. ;)

sznn
04-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Good morning,

Been rather AWOL from this forum and running regularly :o.
Yesterday I did a 10K race - finished in 1:03:30, not great, but considering I only ran 1x/wk to train..not horrible.
The most annoying thing was - they put done my gun time.
I crossed the start line @ 9:13...finish line @ 10:16.
The results were posted as 1:16.
Has anyone had this happen in a race before?
I suspect the time didn't pickup my start time.

On the bright side, it was a pretty good run, and I may be inspired to get back in the swing of regular running.
Have a great day everyone.

S

TurboMammoth
04-16-2012, 12:33 PM
OMG! A runners thread! How come I've never saw that before!!

For the background, I've been running since August 2011 (so about 8 months). I'm definetely not the fastest runner out there : I'm slow, and I focus more on finishing the run than beating everybody else... because I obviously won't and anyway I prefer to beat my own goals, competing with myself :)

I'm officially in for a half-marathon in September, a Warrior Dash in August and training right now for my first half-marathon ever in June... A bit stressed about this one though :S

I had a 13k long run yesterday and it was so hot, I was really exausted by the end. It was still the farthest I've ever run so far, so I was still really proud of it :)

Can't wait to hear about all your running stories!!

beachlover86
04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems like everyone is doing great! Ran 3.75 yesterday which is the longest for me. I was slow but it wasn't terrible. Tough though. The 29th is my 8k so really got to push the next two weeks!

CherryPie99
04-16-2012, 07:15 PM
cherrypie: I have been thinking about you, and hoping you're feeling ok with the surgery coming up! Good luck again, and please check in with us afterward when you feel up to it. :hug:

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I'm a bit melancholy today. I did my last run - 5 miles in the heat which was wonderful - at noon today.

I'm starting to doubt myself - is this worth it? What if I don't get the results I'm looking for? What if I gain the weight back? Thinking I'll start back at zero and won't even be able to run a mile when I'm given clearance. I'm all up in my head today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I'll go into the surgery all pumped...

ncuneo
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Cherry, that must be very difficult stuff to go through, but hear me when I say, you WON'T gain that weight back, you know exactly what to do and when to do it. I lived in fear of regain for a long time, still do, but as more time passes I know that is not going to happen, I love this life too much to let happen.

14 miler went well yesterday, pain levels were good to moderate...so I'm feeling pretty confident things are healing with the methods I'm taking. And today I feel really good...so that makes me really happy.

Have a great week everybody!

devadiva
04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks so much for thinking of me! I'm a bit melancholy today. I did my last run - 5 miles in the heat which was wonderful - at noon today.

I'm starting to doubt myself - is this worth it? What if I don't get the results I'm looking for? What if I gain the weight back? Thinking I'll start back at zero and won't even be able to run a mile when I'm given clearance. I'm all up in my head today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I'll go into the surgery all pumped...

We all will be thinking of you... you will not gain the weight back as you have said it a life syle change and as for running you'll be slower for a few days a week or two and you'll be back at it were you were... AFTER you get healed up don't push it!!!

sweetemotion
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome :)

I've been out twice since I posted, it's a bit of a crazy time with exams and all that so it's been tough fitting it in.

The first run went really well, I barely walked at all. Then I went for a 5k run tonight, and it was horrible, it took me 41 minutes... I'm trying not to be mad at myself for it though, as I think there were a number of reasons for it... It was very, very humid which makes it hard to breathe, and I didn't take my puffer before running, and it was really windy... Also I've been eating horribly and getting ~5 hours of sleep a night or less for the last week or so because of exam stress, so I think my body is just really overtaxed. I'm trying to just be happy that I went out and did it even though I wasn't really feeling it, and I was covered in sweat afterwards so I know I worked hard!

I've decided I am going to enter the 5k race on the 29th, for sure... I just have to wait til I get paid, as my pay cheque got delayed a week due to the stat holidays for Easter... I'm really excited about it though! Hopefully some of my friends will be able to come cheer me on and take pics, this feels important and I want it documented! :)

chickadee32
04-17-2012, 01:27 AM
shananigans: That sounds like a pretty good run! And I'm totally impressed with your 8K time! I'd really like to be able to run that fast some day; I'm just hoping to get the 10K done in under 1:15, lol. You guys here inspire me.

sznn and TurboMammoth, welcome! sznn, that sounds like a great 10K time to me, but I can definitely understand your frustration at feeling like it wasn't timed properly.

Turbo and beachlover - yay on doing your furthest runs yet! Each time I have one of those I feel so accomplished, no matter the distance. :)

CherryPie: It would seem odd to me if you weren't doubting things a little at this point - I know I would be, and I think that's totally normal and expected! But you're NOT going to gain the weight back, and this IS going to be worth it. And you most definitely won't be back at the start when you're able to exercise again. You're going to be so happy you've taken this step, and it is going to make a big difference in your life. I'm really excited for you. :) (and I totally want to know how it goes because surgery on my legs in the future is something I've definitely thought about)

ncuneo: I'm glad the run yesterday felt decent, and that you were feeling so good afterwards today!

I upped the speed tonight and ran at 5.4 mph, and it felt HARD. I had actually planned a 3 mile run, but due to getting to the gym late and seriously having to fight to keep going by 1.5 miles in (mostly the latter) I cut the distance back to 2.5 miles and at the end I could feel my heart rate was really high, unsustainably high for me. How is it that I can run 3 miles one day at 5.3 mph and still have enough energy to increase the speed to 5.5, 6, 6.5 mph at the end, but when I notch the speed up just slightly from the start I feel completely worn out? Seriously, an increase of 0.1 mph shouldn't be that tough! I think I need to get back to doing some sprint intervals after my runs - I haven't been getting to the gym early enough to fit them in, but I think they were helping me increase my speed on the steady-pace runs when I was doing them more regularly.

Bigknitter
04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
@chickadee - 7 miles on the treadmill - way to go! I am so ready to be done after 3 on the TM :lol: Do you do all of your runs on the treadmill?

@shananigans - that hill run sounds awesome!

@sznn - that is pretty great for as much training as you did. I have had that timing issue happen before, my time was missing completely and I emailed the people who put the race on and they changed it - to a ridiculous time that wasn't even mine :lol: Lame.

@Turbomammoth and beachlover - echoing the yay for the longest runs! It is a good feeling :)

I thoroughly enjoyed my rest day yesterday but am back at it today. I did about an hour of weights, had a snack (just a little!), and then did the standard warmup routine. My run was 3 miles on the treadmill at 5 mph. I swear the treadmill is so much harder! I can go most of the time at 5.5 outside but on the treadmill I will be dying doing that. I hate it. Anyway followed my run with the ITB rehab routine and now I am done. I hope it won't be raining tomorrow so I can take it outside.

shananigans
04-18-2012, 12:38 PM
chickadee32: I think sprint intervals really help, but I've never been able to get myself to do them regularly because I hate them! I'd rather run hills for HIIT type training, incline I can do but forcing my legs to move so fast feels really uncomfortable to me. Oh, and thanks, I'm totally impressed with my time too. :p I'd like to see me running that fast again one day, I'm sure a lot of that will come with weight loss. I was around 30 lbs lighter then.

Bigknitter: I am also a treadmill hater! I've run outside when temps are in the teens and it's snowing, still more enjoyable than a treadmill to me.

sweetemotion: Good luck with your 5k! Stress and lack of sleep definitely drain my energy. I know how hard it can be with school, but making sleep a priority really makes a difference.

Did 3.25 in 37:40 yesterday, felt pretty good! Playing hookey from a couple lectures today so I can write a paper and start cramming for an exam, then I will reward myself with an evening yoga class after the exam tomorrow and get up early to have a great 5 mile run on Friday morning so I can spend the rest of the day catching up online for the lectures I'm missing today and get moving on a take home exam before I have to go to work that afternoon. Also have work and an out-of-town friend in this weekend, so I'll have to make use of time wisely to make sure I get all my school work done and a run in on Sunday. I swear, when I was working full-time exercise and weight loss were so much easier, at least I could get into a set routine.

Bigknitter
04-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Did another 4 on the treadmill today. I borrowed Curb Your Enthusiasm from the library starting with the 1st season so it didn't suck too bad :lol: Actually it was a pretty good run for what it was. I set it at 5 mph and didn't watch the laps or anything, just tried to have good form and nothing hurt! I hope I can get outside sometime this week though! I am itching to get up the canyon and run on a trail!

Aunty Jam
04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey everyone... I have a bit of a cold/illness :( I'm supposed to run today, not sure if I will... I really want to ease back into it to avoid the evil shin splints again.

I managed to do 3.5k on Sunday without too much pain. There was a bit so I layed on my couch and iced the worst one after. I can't wait until I can run a decent amount. Well, I know I can, but my body doesn't want to. I just really have to work on those specific muscles.

I also need to look into cross training which is tough because all I want to do is run... what other things do you guys do?

Bigknitter
04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
I like to do the elliptical and incline walking for cross training but I also want to start biking more, and learn how to swim better.

TurboMammoth
04-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanx for all the warm welcomes :) I already love this thread!

I had hills training yesterday. I HATE hills training. They make me feel like I'm back at the beginning when I started running... I feel so out of comfort zone (I know it's their goal... but still... LOL)

I went from 4 hills repetitions last week to 5 times yesterday. I felt less exausted than last week after it too... weird, huh?

I red somewhere ''Hills is speedwork in disguise''. I totally beleive it now LOL

Hope everyone is doing well!

drake3272004
04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
It hasn't been very nice here this past week, gusts of 50 mph winds & threats of snow. Kept working on my jumping, stretching & shins.
Went out yesterday & did my mile. For my sprints, I slowed it down a bit & paid more attention to my form. It was awkward but I feel really good today so I must of done something right! :)
I am running on a dirt road that has alot of hills. I paid attention to that too & tried to run on the flatter parts. Will work up to being able to do the hills.

Just wanted to thank you all for your posts! I have thought about quitting several times, but then I come back here & read how everyone is doing. Great inspiration!!!

milmin2043
04-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Wow...this thread has really taken off this month. It's good to see so many people participating.

I ran a full marathon on Sunday, so I am taking this week off of running. I am working on relaxing. :)

My son and I are registered to run the Oklahoma City Memorial half marathon on April 29th. It is his first, although he was a Marine, so he's used to pain and forced marching. LOL

It looks like everyone is doing great. I would like to throw into the discussion that I am also a barefoot runner, although usually here in Texas, the pavement gets very hot. So, I normally wear my Vibrams or minimalist shoes. I had a wicked heel strike in the beginning, which caused all kinds of different overuse injuries. Slow, careful, determined switching to barefoot running has resolved these problems for me. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.

chickadee32
04-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Bigknitter - I do about 95% of my running on the treadmill, in part because I always exercise at night on weekdays. Every few weeks I get outside for a run on a weekend, but to date I've not done a run longer than 5K outside. Outside feels harder to me - so I don't know how you and others manage that all the time! :lol: I hope it will stop raining for you so that you can get back outside soon. :)

shananigans: And again I'm the opposite, LOL. The hills and inclines kill me! Pushing either way has got to do some good things though. I did some sprints tonight, and I'm going to try to get back into the habit of doing them once/week.

Turbo: Another one with the hills! OK, maybe I have to give them another chance. They sound totally miserable though. :lol:

Aunty Jam: I usually do the bike or eliptical (or lately, just a good brisk walk), but I think tomorrow I'm going to try some rowing for my cross! I definitely felt like both the bike and eliptical were good when I couldn't run. I hope your shins are totally recovered soon so that you can get back to it. :)

drake: You're doing great too. :D Keep going, you won't be sorry you did!

milmin: Congratulations on the marathon!! How are you feeling?

I did 3 miles at 5.4 mph tonight, and it was still pretty tough the last mile but felt better than on Monday, so that was a relief. I walked for about 8 minutes after, and then did some walk/sprint intervals which were totally energizing. Good thing, as it's motivation to do them again next week. Tomorrow will be a cross day, Friday my rest day, and then Saturday will be a slow 7.5 mile run - the last long one before the race the following weekend, woohoo!

A question for everyone: It seems that lately when I push myself harder than usual (the intervals after a tough run tonight, the 7 miles on Saturday, etc.), I feel some stomach discomfort (not pain, exactly, but maybe a mix of nausea and bloating-like pain?) about 45 minutes or an hour after I finish. I'm fine right after... it's about the time that I sit down to eat something that I start to feel it. Has this happened to anyone else? It's not really a problem (it's not debilitating or anything), I'm just curious.

mkroyer
04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Chickadee-- sorry, im not sure about the pain youre feeling in your stomach... :| the only pain/discomfort i ever feel is a bad case of runners trots (sorry, TMI) this has been the case ever since i ran the Phoenix Marathon. At this point, it is 100% psychological, i know, but im terrified tor un outside anywhere where there isnt a bathroom of some kind in sight, or within 5 minutes of anywhere i am.....

Bigknitter
04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Well I had planned to go outside today, but I decided to give my kid a break since she has swim lessons and a soccer game later. She rides her bike while I run. It probably would have rained on us anyway :lol:

Did 3 miles running and actually did some 1/2 mile intervals, 5.5, 5.7, and then slowly bumping it up to 6.1 and back down. I just couldn't take one more treadmill run at the same speed the whole time. This was all after some weights. I'm glad there is no running tomorrow! I hope I can go biking and maybe swim a little bit for a change :)

TurboMammoth
04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
chickadee : yeah, hills...! I hate them, but I know they are good for improving, so I kick my *ss and do them! (even if I basically want to die everytime). For you stomach issue, I got a friend who was getting them a lot when she was running for longer than 30 minutes, but they would eventually leads diarrhea... NOT cool

Had a 10k training run tonight. Horrible horrible run. Legs were so off, I had no energy. Had no real fun doing it, I had to repeat during the whole 1h12minutes : you can do it, you can do it, only XX kilometers to go...

Oh well. It's done and all in the past now!

autodidact
04-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Hello! I have been away on holiday and this thread has gone on so fast since I have been gone it will take me ages to catch up!

But hello to you all, and i hope you have had fun running. I will read all about it over a cup of tea later.

BUT, first I have to brag. I did a HUGE hill run, I wrote a post about it (called Big Run), and there are photos on my blog. I am so proud I could burst!

That is enough bragging for now. I'm off to make a cup of tea, and read what you all have been up to.

drake3272004
04-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Got out the last couple of days for my mile. Trying to just listen to my body, during the sprints I slow down when my shins start to tighten up. So far that is going better.

But now my ankles are being goofy. Almost weak. I work with little kids, so I am up and down out chairs all day & the last couple days I felt like I was going to fall over. Little support & sharp pain, until I flex & get my ankle to pop.
Not going out today, going to work on stretching & jumping only.

ncuneo
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Great week everyone!

MK...sorry but I lol'd at this. You'd die where I live, I'm often miles (unless I want to do enless small loops) from a potty and so far I haven't had to use the bushes...came close though:)

Did 6 miles of intervals Wednesday, 7 mile (2 easy, 3 tempo, 2 easy) today and will do 16-18 this weekend.

Injuries are feeling really good at this point, everything seems to be healing up. I'm throughly convinced the threadmill aggravated old injuries and I didn't recover long enough from the marathon, but things are feeling good now so I'm proceeding. 2nd marathon in 6 weeks!

Bigknitter
04-21-2012, 12:36 PM
I had a great run today!! Did 6 miles and clocked in at 1 hour! This is a great pace for me. I actually had 2 splits under 10 minutes, 1 at 9:54 and the other 9:46. I was shocked! :lol: I went on the gravel trails as much as I could

@ncuneo - glad your injuries are getting better! Hope you have a great long run :)

@drake - that sucks about your ankles. Take it easy and I hope they feel better soon.

@autodidact - what a nice place to run! I would love to have that kind of scenery. Great job on the hills.

@Turbo - I hate runs like that! Good for you for sticking with it.

Well happy running and I hope everyone has a good weekend!

chickadee32
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Did a slow 7.5 miles on the treadmill today, the last long run before the 10K next weekend. It was pretty rough, I think because I've been super short on sleep the past few days (maybe 10 hours total in the last 3 nights?) and am just really tired all around. I was SO ready to stop at 4 miles, but I just pushed through and got it done. I am going to remember to make sure I'm very well-rested before the race next weekend so that I can hopefully enjoy it.

mkroyer and Turbo, thank you for the feedback! I'm not having that issue (thank goodness, as I can see how that would make you really nervous with your runs mk!), but it's definitely still happening. I tried eating just a bit before my run today and then having some protein right after, but I still felt the same thing - and am still feeling it now, 6 hours later, ugh. It might be the endometriosis, in which case it might be that when this level of exercise becomes more routine for me it will go away.

Bigknitter, holy cow that's fast for 6 miles! I want to get there someday. :)

ncuneo, I'm really glad to read that your injuries are feeling better! I hope the rest of your training goes smoothly. :)

auto: Yay on the hill run!!

drake: Do you think it's because you're trying to compensate for the shins, and so running a different way than usual that is bothering your ankles?

philana
04-22-2012, 04:18 AM
I am such a wuss. I ran in the snow, in the freezing cold and in the heat. But when it's cloudy and looks like about to rain I just don't wanna go. And it's been like that for over a week now. UHG.

TurboMammoth
04-22-2012, 04:10 PM
chickadee : so not nice to hear you're still in pain :( Maybe a doctor would help more? or sport therapist?

great running week everyone! :)

After my horrible run last thursday, I was dreading going today, specially after drinking wine yesterday, going to bed at 1AM.

I had a good breakfast and just went outside and it was an amazing run! 11k with a sprint in the last kilometer :)

It's so weird wanting to die 3 days ago and feeling so well after my run today. The joy of running ;)

chickadee32
04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Turbo, thank you! It's fine, really, and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about it. It's just weird and kind of crummy, but nothing that I can't deal with. If my theory is correct, it's not something that can be helped except by getting more accustomed to that level of exercise. I wasn't planning on running today but after a good night's sleep I'm thinking about heading to the gym this afternoon for a short, easy run (I never do short easy runs! Either they're short and tough because I'm trying to push the speed, or long and tough because I'm pushing the distance, lol)... and if my theory is right, I should feel totally fine after. :) (Edit: I did exactly that, an easy 2-mile run, and have felt completely fine since). I'm so glad you had a great run today!! It's such a relief and a great feeling to have one of those really good runs after you've had an awful one. It's like, oh yeah, THIS is why I love the running!

philana - It's raining here too, and while I'd actually really like to get outside today instead of doing the treadmill there is NO WAY I'm running in the rain. LOL. I'm right there with you on the wuss thing!

Bigknitter
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Got in an easy 3 today :) Took my kiddo and she rode her bike, wasn't very motivated so the first half of the run could have been better. But I tried to not let it get to me and that helped a lot. It is getting hot quick here, yesterday it was 90!

Precious Little
04-24-2012, 07:33 PM
On Sunday I went for a run for the first time in almost a month - had some health problems that prevented me doing vigorous exercise but ok now.

So happy to get out there again. I only did about 3k but did some speed work and I was so happy to get up to 7 miles an hour (this is awesome for me because I"m a pretty slow runner and it's taken AGES to build up my speed and stamina) YAY! :woohoo:

drake3272004
04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
:carrot: My ankles were definitely acting up because of adjusting my form. I am slower right now, but not feeling so awkward & I am making my sprints last a bit longer than before. And NO shin ISSUES!!! So excited!

Not giving up. :carrot:

Hope everyone else is doing well!

chickadee32
04-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Did 3 miles tonight @ 5.4 mph, and upped the speed to 5.5, 6 and then 6.5 mph the last 5 minutes. Felt really good, much better than last week. I'm planning to do an easy 2 miles on Thursday, and then Saturday is the 10K, yay!

beachlover86
04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
sounds like everyone is doing great!

Precious: Way to get right back in it.

I ran 5.25 yesterday which is the furthest I've done but wanted to make sure I could hit 5 miles because thats the race mileage is on Sun. I did it in 59 minutes and my goal is under an hour. Slow, but didn't walk any of it. Nervous for Sunday but excited because it's my first race over 5k and seems like I'm moving in the right direction.

Hope everyone is having a AWESOME week! Happy Hump Day!!! :)

TurboMammoth
04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
beachlover : good luck for sunday! you got this! :)

Ran 8k tonight, including 6 repetitions hills. It felt great, even if I was sucking wind a bit at the top of the hills, I was able to manage my breath really quickly after it.

My fear for hills is slowly going away! ;)

devadiva
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Have not been able to run much lately;[ was sick then whent on a trip got some hiking in but on track this week. Last Fri. I ran 6.2 miles it was way too hot 85 and sunny we have very low hummity {20%}. But still TOO hot to run will not run that late again. Today I ran at 7 am we had cloud cover and 66. It was lovely. Ran the 10 k again. Not training for any thing but life. I turn 60 in 4 weeks and trying to my weight where I want it,was almost there and I faultered...Shame on me I DO know better. But I have a month to GIFT myself!

Bigknitter
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Precious Little - glad you are able to run again, awesome pace!

drake - so glad you didn't have issues on your run :)

chickadee & beachlover - good luck on your races this weekend!

Turbo - Nice job on the hills!

devadive - wow, I hope to be running 6 miles, or running at all, when I am 60! That is so great.

I did an easy 4 today and was surprised that my pace was pretty good and the running was not that hard. Got it done in in just under 44 minutes. Not bad. Weather was great, cool and cloudy, and my dd did awesome on her bike :D Think I will the treadmill tomorrow and try to make it speedy (for me on the treadmill :lol:).

shananigans
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
beachlover and chickadee - hope you both have great races this weekend! And way to go on that speedwork chickadee. Everyone here sounds like they're doing really great. :D

Been dealing with upper back pain since last Friday. :( Pretty sure it's related to a new yoga class I tried out Thurs night, something definitely got tweaked in a bad way. Ran 5 mi last Friday before the burn really set in, then took it easy till yesterday and did 3.5 mi. Taking Rx high dose ibuprofen and trying not to aggravate it any more so I can be in good shape for the race on Saturday. Planning to do 2-3 easy miles tomorrow, rest on Friday with a nice walk, and hope for the best come Saturday morning.

ncuneo
04-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Great work everyone!

Soooo...I went for 16-18 Sunday, but I wasn't prepared for our heat wave and called it quits at 14. I was getting the chills and figured I was dumb to continue in that condition. Kinda proud of myself, the old me probably would have run to heat exhaustion.

Today I had a terrible run...6 craptastic miles. My body felt so heavy and I just couldn't do the intervals I was planning, so I just did my best. I have these kind of runs every so often, usually it's a good weeks worth of crappy runs and then things settle back in...not sure what that's about, but I hear it's quite common. I also, have noticed since starting to really work on my speed, my fiber intake has become some what of an issue, if you know what I mean. My Tuesday staple is fiber, fiber and more fiber with a side of fiber...otherwise know as veggie tacos with black beans...that may have to be moved to another night if I want to avoid a code brown.

6 miles planned for Friday and because I couldn't get the miles I was looking for last weekend and this weekend is looking to be nice, I'll be doing 20 Sunday...it's is just crazy to me that I am able to massage my schedule now and say, yeah no big deal I'll just move things around and knock out a 20 this weekend...that sounds kind of like I'm bragging, but less than 2 and 1/2 years ago I could barely run a mile!

I also signed up for my first 5k!!! LOL! Yeah I'm a little backwards.

Oh and the best thing ever, my 3.5 year old did his 1st 1k last weekend, um the cutest thing EVER!!!! They got medals and everything!

devadiva
04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
ncuneo: I do not look at it as bragging at all,I do it all the time to myself and outloud sometimes{and on here} ITS afirmation to your self on your impovement and amazement in yourself.AND I think it encourages others.....AT LEAST YOURS sure does me as well as all the others that have gained so much so quickly.
I know it is a very personal thing running I think thats what I like its against yourself and when you improve you see it. This month is 6 moths for me and my runs are mostly 6 miles now and usually 10:25 min miles. sometimes more but is just me and the road!

Bigknitter
04-26-2012, 11:33 AM
ncuneo - I don't think it sounds like bragging either, being able to run like that is awesome!!

Well I did 3 miles on the treadmill just now, was able to do a whole mile at 6 mph. It is so weird that I can do this outside, no problem, but on the treadmill it is SO hard for me. I hate it lol I guess I just need to do it more! Dropping back down to 5.5 seemed extra hard too. Oh well.

Next run is 7 miles in Zion National Park! Can't wait :D

Aunty Jam
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Chickadee - You're a real speed demon! Fast for me is 5.2m on the treadmill. I'm hoping to get at least 5m outside, it is harder "in the real world" as I call it. But I've slid so far back and gained some weight I cringe when I think of running outside again.

Bigknitter - Are you just not motivated to run when on a treadmill? I usually find something to watch on Netflix if I run in the evening, morning news otherwise. Running in a national park sounds nice.

Ncuneo - Good for you for stopping... that could have been bad. Your bad run could be because your body was still recovering from the sunday run.

I'm finally able to run a bit now, I've also developed plantar fascitis (sp?). But taking it slow and extra stretching is helping. I really have to find something I like for cross training, I don't have a gym membership so any other machines are out. I love to walk but I find it also makes my shins sore after a while. I have a JM exercise video that I do once in a while... maybe I'll just have to do that more than once in a while ;) Anyway... did an easy 2.25m (3.6k) in half an hour (including warm up & cool down). Really need to get my nerve back and take my dogs outside for a run :(

CherryPie99
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Hi guys!

Hope you don't mind me checking in here even though I'm not running I'm keeping up with all of your progresses! I am very jealous at times to be honest.

I did have my one week post-op visit with my plastic surgeon today. He described my 1 week progress as "amazing". I have been given clearance to WALK SLOWLY either outside or on the treadmill as much as I want. It's a start!

Jen

devadiva
04-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Cherrypie: I have been following your surgry progress {on your blog} I am so happy for you and glad he gave you the OK to walk it will help so you don't go nutty sitting around YOU are much to active for that!

krampus
04-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I went a week and a half or so without running outside. Went today after work and had a pretty awesome run, I went about 4 1/2 miles. It took a while - 47 minutes - with a couple short walk breaks (how can you psych yourself out of those, I know I don't NEED to walk, I've run 6 miles without walking before!) - but the way I felt after is so much better than the first few times I ran outside this season. Sweaty and tired but energized, not defeated.

TurboMammoth
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Cherrypie : good to know you're doing okay :)

krampus : in my world, if I don't feel defeated, it's a winning run. Good job!

I went for a moderate 6k after work (I'm following a 17 weeks program, btw) with my collegue who I was running week every week for the past 4 months. She slowed down the running in the past 3 weeks (family issue) and it was her first time coming back running with me...

She was doing great, I pushed her a bit and we manage to do our 6k in something like 40minute 30 sec. She admited after that she wasn't pushing helselft enough while running on her own... It's a good thing about running with a friend ;) :)

Bigknitter
04-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Aunty Jam, I just feel like the treadmill is so much harder. I pop in a show and can do okay, I'd just like to have it be a little easier, since I can go faster outside with no problems mostly. I can do 6.0 outside but it's hard for me to go higher than 5.5 on the TM. It's just weird and backward from when I was running a lot a few years ago :lol:

chickadee32
04-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Can I just say that all of you guys are awesome? I love love love reading about your runs, even if I don't respond to everything. nunceo - it doesn't seem like bragging to me at all; I agree with deva that it's motivating!! It's pretty cool to see what our bodies are capable of, to think about what *I* might be capable of one day. That's part of what makes the running so enjoyable - seeing ourselves do things that 2 years or even 6 months prior we didn't think we could do!

Bigknitter and shananigans, thank you for the luck this weekend! It's looking like it's going to be pretty cold that morning (low 40s), but I'd rather that than hot!! shananigans, I'm glad you're taking it slow to let your back heal - hope it's much improved soon! Bigknitter, nice job on the speed!! I am TOTALLY sucking wind when I up the speed to 6 mph - I don't think I could do a whole mile at that pace! One day though. :D

beachlover: GOOD LUCK on the race this weekend!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Aunty Jam: 5.2 mph felt really hard to me on the treadmill just 6 weeks ago! And running outside scares me too... I'm always worried I'm going to run too fast and be burnt out after just a short distance. I hope the plantar fasciitis improves soon for you so that you can get back out there with your dogs!

CherryPie: I'm so glad to hear that your recovery is going so well - that's an awesome report from your doctor!!! The walking, even slowly, will really help your recovery (getting the blood flowing just a bit will be great), and it's going to make you FEEL good too. I can't wait to see how you're doing over the next few weeks - this is such a great step you've taken. :)

krampus: I'm glad you had such a great run! On the walk breaks... I know what you mean about it being more mental than anything. Maybe on the next run, push yourself past the time at which you want to take the walk break... tell yourself you just need to go 5 minutes past that, and then you can walk. It will push the breaks further apart, until your brain realizes you really don't need them at all. That's how I get through pretty much all my tougher runs, lol - counting down the minutes!

Turbo: Your story about your friend reminded me of the 5K I ran with my sister. I had only been running for 4 weeks at the time, and the fastest I had run on the treadmill was 4.5 mph (and 3 miles at that speed was ROUGH for me). My sole goal was just to finish the 5K without walking any of it... but my sister (who runs a 5K in about 24 minutes) pushed my pace the whole way, on that unbelievably hilly course... and my overall pace ended up being 5.1 mph. I thought I was going to die the last 5 minutes or so, but it was a great first race experience for me. :)

chickadee32
04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
The 10K this morning was awesome! I was SO nervous beforehand, not sure why... just worried that I wouldn't be able to do it, or I'd go out too fast and then be too tired to keep going, or something. But it was much, much easier than I thought. Too easy, lol - I should have been pushing myself more! I was aiming for something under 1:15, so an average pace around 5 mph, and I stuck pretty true to that most of the race... it was when I got to the water station at about 4.5 miles and realized I wasn't even remotely winded or tired that I thought, 'why aren't I running faster?' So I picked up the speed some and then began really booking it (for me, lol) at the mile 5 marker - I ran those last 1.2 miles at something faster than 6 mph, which for me is FAST. I might do that speed the last few minutes on the treadmill, but never for anything close to a mile! THEN I was sucking wind, lol, but I sprinted through the finish and was so happy and felt so good. :) No official times up yet, but the clock at the finish said 1:10:something. Yay!! I can't wait to do another!!! :carrot:

devadiva
04-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Chickadee32 : YEAH for you!!!!!! Great time and super job.LOVE the new picture and thank you for commenting . I am horrible at it. I so enjoying reading everyones and am rooting them on lazy I guess....
Today I woke with a migraine shoke it off with some Imitrex. And got off to a late start. Wanted to up my milage today so did 7.2 miles my time was not great 1:23:10 with slight 150ft gain...I started out slow for the first 2 1/2 miles had a headwind. But picked it up a bit it was great weather warm but cool wind was in my Sports bra and shorts by the time I got home.

drake3272004
04-28-2012, 09:01 PM
:( I couldn't get logged in yesterday, wanted to wish everyone that was doing races this weekend....... GOOD LUCK!

chickdee32......... sounds like an awsome run! :carrot:WTG!!!:carrot:

chickadee32
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks deva and drake! My official time was 1:10:23, and I'm thrilled with that. :D

deva, that sounds like I nice run, and great job on the mileage! And I'm jealous of the your nice weather! One of my body composition goals is to one day look good enough that I can run in just a sports bra on top. :)

ncuneo
04-29-2012, 07:52 AM
CherryPie, So glad to hear it's going well. You'll be running before you know, just take it easy.

Chickadee, congrats! That is fabulous!!! Great new photo btw.

So I'm up...it's 3:30AM here west coast...ugh...going through my pre long run routine (that usually last 90mins to 2 hours, I know, right!?) trying to beat the heat today. The plan is 20...I'm hoping that this isn't the only 20 I'm able to fit in between now and the race, but it may be depending on the weather, we'll see. I'm 5 weeks out, and while this isn't the ideal placement for a the potential "last" 20, it's not the end of the world. I'm going to have to just wing it for the rest of my training and it's kind of exciting...I'm the most rigidly scheduled person ever! So this is really putting my out of my comfort zone and probably good for me:) Think it will boost my confindence if all goes well. It's also the first time I've started to not feel like a rookie runner anymore...strange.

Anywho, keep running people you are doing so fabulous and I'm so proud of you all! May is just around the corner!

devadiva
04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks deva and drake! My official time was 1:10:23, and I'm thrilled with that. :D

deva, that sounds like I nice run, and great job on the mileage! And I'm jealous of the your nice weather! One of my body composition goals is to one day look good enough that I can run in just a sports bra on top. :)
WELL I don't look good but I also don't see anyone but the cows and when your HOT YOUR HOT! and I don't mean the way I look... remember I am 60 the end of May!
Nueceno: You will do greaton your big upcoming run:carrot: have a great run today!
It is breezy here but will warm up soon,I am in Independence we are starting to get warm.KINDA missing those 32 to 40 degree mornings.

shananigans
04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Congrats chickadee! Love the new photo. Your race sounds like it went really well for you, and great time. :bravo:

ncuneo - Good luck with your long run. I'm sure you'll do great winging it with your remaining training schedule, you have the experience to know what you need to do.

I had a pretty good race yesterday, finished the 8k in 54:39. Felt good through the entire thing, no side stitches or bad muscle fatigue or anything like that. Even made it up the big hill without much trouble and recovered from that quickly. It was cold and drizzling the entire time, but I've run under much less pleasant conditions. Was only able to stick with my group through the first mile (they ended up finishing in around 47 min), but that's just as well, I don't like to make small talk when I run. :p Didn't stick around the stadium for the after party because we were getting cold as soon as we stopped running, so we went out for a nice celebration lunch instead.

Now that the race is over I think I'm going to have to dial it back on the running and focus of more cross training till I've lost more weight. I've kind of been in a bit of denial about it, but I'm pretty sure I've developed plantar faciitis in my right foot. It is most painful the morning after running under my right heel. I never had this problem before I put weight back on, I presume it is the extra pounds that is causing it now. So, lots more biking, swimming, and maybe starting up the 30 day shred videos again soon. I'm going to try and keep shorter runs in my schedule at least a couple days a week and see how that goes.

devadiva
04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Got my morning run in did a different route today 4miles after the 1 st mile you gain 300ft,but that most of the gain pretty kick butt for me felt slow, did that one in around 13 min. The total run was 48 min.
Chickedee BTW meant to say GREAT TIME!

Shananagins: Great time on your race I mean it super SURE you'll cut back a couple days, BUT dang those endorphins they are addicting!!!

wickedlady
04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
ran a 10 mile race this morning... whee! It went well. Feeling good for my half in a few weeks :)

TurboMammoth
04-29-2012, 10:52 PM
chickadee : awesome time! :D you look fierce on your picture! great job!

devadiva : it's always a good thing to change the route of runs... routine is baaad lol!

wickedlady : 10 mile! great run! When is your half? :)

I went for my long run training this afternoon after eating way too much yesterday and today. I was tired, had a headache and was so unmotivated... But I headed outside and told myself : well at least run a bit. If you can't do it all, at least you try.

it ended up being an AWESOME RUN! I started slowly and increased after I reached the half... I was just feeling good. For the first time I told myself I wasn't that scared about the distance of the half marathon. It was my second time running a 13k in training, and I shed 1 minute from my last 13k 2 weeks ago. yay!

I only had to go out and try! ;)

wickedlady
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Turbo, it's on May 20th, just a few weeks away :)

Congrats on the surprise great run!

beachlover86
04-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Chickadee and Shana- awesome time on the races!!!! :)

My 8k went well sunday. Goal was under an hour and finished at 55:03 so I was very happy with that. I did start out too fast and paid for it at the end but still feel that it went pretty well. I'm starting Shaun T insanity today so have to find a way to fit in the running as I want to keep uping my mileage.

Sounds like everyone else is doing great!

devadiva
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend!!
Got 4 in this morning felt strong.....off to errands and chores.

drake3272004
04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Great job runners!!!

I didn't get anything in over the weekend, worked too much and incredibly ridiculous crappy weather. But gearing up for beautiful weather this week. :)

Got a mile in today, wasn't able to run as well or as much as I had last week. Construction at the workplace is aggravating my asthma, will remember to use inhaler before I go out next time.

chickadee32
05-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys!! That photo is kind of funny - I was sprinting at the end, and all thoughts of form were out the window!

ncuneo: Holy smokes, 3:30am? That's dedication!!! I don't think I could run at that time of day no matter how badly I wanted something, lol. How did it go??

deva: I bet the cows love the look!! ;)

shananigans: Great time on your race!! And I'm impressed that you were so unfazed by the drizzle... I'm not good with bad conditions. :lol: I'm sorry to hear about your foot... I hope the time off will help it heal a bit, and that the cross-training does for you what you'd like.

wickedlady: Great job with the 10 miler, and good luck with the half in a few weeks!!!

Turbo: YAY on the awesome run, and on the time improvement! Days like those are so motivating.

beachlover: Congratulations on your time for your race! I know what you mean about wanting to keep the mileage up... I'm struggling a bit with how I'm going to do that over the next few weeks. I don't want to drop way back and be behind later though when I want to run another long(ish) race.

drake: I hope this week with the nice weather (and the inhaler) makes for more enjoyable running!

Well, I had wanted to do at least one 3 mile run at 5.5 mph before the end of the month, and I was pleased to do it tonight on the treadmill without too much trouble. I had to fight a bit at the end to keep going, but I still managed to up the speed to 6.0, 6.5 and then 7.0 mph over the last three minutes, so that seemed good. I have to stop running 3 weeks from now when I do the embryo transfer, and I've been wondering how I should approach the running in the meantime without a specific goal to work toward... but the answer presented itself tonight in the form of a 5K on May 19 that my husband's company is sponsoring. :) I'm going to register for it and focus the next 2.5 weeks on upping my speed, and hopefully target a time of 32 minutes or better (my first and only 5K in October was 36:29, so under 32 min would be a nice improvement!). I think I'm still going to try to get in longer runs these next two Saturdays though, just so I don't drop the mileage too much before being out of commission for 2 weeks.

CherryPie99
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Hi guys!

Had a great visit to the doctor's yesterday and have been cleared to run in 2 weeks - that's 2-4 weeks earlier then he originally planned because I'm doing so well. This means I'll have "only" taken 4 weeks off from running and hopefully won't set me back too much!

Keep it up everyone - I am living vicariously through you all!

Jen

drake3272004
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
cherrypie99....... sounds like you are healing up nicely! You will be back running in no time.

chickadee32
05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
CherryPie, that's awesome! I'm so glad to hear it! Can't wait to have you back. :)