Diabetes Support - Diabetes Chat for April

View Full Version : Diabetes Chat for April

Ruthxxx
04-01-2012, 07:13 AM
Even if you just want to report your FBGL, pop in and share some of your life.

New month and it always seems right to have it start on a Sunday. (I am sort of anal.)

Interesting evening last night. I was invited to an Indian dinner which was absolutely delicious and not to hot. I did have some rice and naan and was expecting it to show on this morning's test but FBGL was 4.1 again. I'll be very careful today in case there's a delayed reaction.

I'm way, way behind on catching up on posts in here but will go back and read up on March. In the meantime, another :welcome: to the new folks.

Here's the old thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/254035-march-chat-5.html#post4275808

pattygirl63
04-01-2012, 08:51 AM
A good April 1st/Fools Morning to all you Chickies.

Ruthie - Glad the Indian food didn't show up on your fbs.

I'm getting too much salt from somewhere. So I'm going to have to be more careful. The weight gain I've seen lately may not be anything but water. Although I'm doing the IF style of eating, I might have to go on a few days of very low carb to get this water weight back off, but I did keep my 1 lb loss for this week and the fbs has been great all week. So I'm pleased.

DD and the DGC got out yesterday and trimmed all the trees and bushes and pulled weeds. I've got to talk to DH when they aren't around, but I'm thinking if they would help him by doing the yard work done that he can't do right now, I would be glad to consider that payment for them staying here as long as they can't pay anything and as long as they don't run our utilities up higher than they are right now. Then when they can they can put in a little something to help on that. DD did a beautiful job with the bushes out front and Yes I was quick to thank her for doing it a such a beautiful job as well. Then I won't feel so bad about the things they don't do around the house. I remember hearing the story that when my Daddy's uncle and his wife had to move in with his grandparents. His grandmother loved outdoor work and his aunt loved housework so his grandmother got to work outside and his aunt did all the housework and cooking. If we can work out something like that here, I think it would make all of us happy.

Going to church this morning and then DH and I are going to get me a new cell phone. We're behind the times and he wouldn't change at all, but I want a phone with texting and a little keyboard to do it. Girls at the beauty shop got that new straight talk with no contract month to month phone, texting and internet. I told him that is what I want and he can count it as my Mother's day gift. LOL So I'm moving on up to a higher tech girls. Really my Daddy and nephew texts me from time to time and I'm having to pay for it on the plan we've been on since the stone age.:dizzy: With the new plan whether I get the cheapest or the unlimited, I won't have to pay and I will be able to text too.

Well, guess I better get busy and get going here. Hope everyone is doing good.

Later,

chipper15173
04-01-2012, 09:52 AM
morning....
happy palm sunday.
went to gym, and a nice workout with DH. used most all the weights today. instead of treadmill i choose the bike. nice change of pace. back to running in the morning. my scale is also up a pound. i am thinking holding water also. cloths aren't fitting any different. oh, well. it happens. there doesn't have to be a reason or excuse.
off to get laundry going....

fatmad
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Ruth, I had a mango chicken curry last night that was quite delish! I just skipped the rice and didn't spoon too much sauce on my food.
Yesterday I did overdo it in general with food, haven't added up all my points yet, but was relieved not to be over 170 this am, still an ounce or two under that number. I just couldn't get over my hunger. I would eat something, and still be hungry 30 minutes later. I am really having trouble with feeling hungry at all for some reason.
FBGL today was 4.9 though, so doing ok there too. Will have to eat tons of veggies (free, no points) to fill up the next few days so I won't be hungry, as I will have to stick to the daily points, and not use weeklies.
Got out for a trail walk yesterday, and will go for yoga today, maybe a walk later too if the rain clears.
Trish: My daughter and husband have had to replace laptops a few times, they really don't last as well as desktops. I paid more for my macbook, but it is 3 years old and no problems so far. that is longer than any of the other laptops have lasted. But is a reminder to do a backup!
Hope everyone has a happy April Fools day!:p

Riemontana
04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Happy April Fools day!

fbs at 81 this morning and 78 yesterday. Food was a challenge yesterday as I was out playing in a pool tourney. I did ok with the pool and not ok with the pool.:p Oh well.

Ruth, glad that you enjoyed the indian food without a bs consequence. I have never enjoyed indian food very much. Perhaps I haven't been fortunate to have good indian food.

Trish, that would be really good if your DD and family could care for your yard. Maybe include specifics about that? e.g. lawn mowed every week, weeds pulled, etc? Glad that everything is going well for you.

Chipper, nice workout. I agree with you that the scale doesn't always tell the tale. I know mine doesn't.

Hello to all newbies! Have a great Sunday!

Rie

Butterfly50
04-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Happy April fool to all today!!
Maybe the scale is giving me one cause it says i have not lost but a pound maybe it was dinner last night. I didn't do the cooking for a change so I cant complain about it.

Trish I love my straight talk phone I jest go buy a card once a month or you can set it up where they jest take it out of your account once a month . Bu I love mine 45$ and I can talk and text all I want even use the web.

I hope all is going good with everyone and will check back in later..

pattygirl63
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Bonnie - I ended up getting the Straight Talk smart phone. More phone than I wanted... actually more to learn... I don't know anything about that stuff. Good thing the kids are on spring break this week as it will take DGS all week to teach me how to use it.:dizzy: However, I must say I look forward to it.

Mad - Do you think it is the carby foods that makes you hungry? I think I got in the habit of too much carby foods and can't seem to stop eating them. Still haven't ruled out an Atkin's Induction to get my act together. Sure would help with the swelling.

I'm ready for a nap. I think it is because I've already had too many carbs. I get sleepy every afternoon about this time. Got to think about the strict low carb eating for a few days.

Chipper, Ruthie, Rie and everyone else have a great evening.

fatmad
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Trish: yes, for sure, too many carbs gets the cravings going for sure, but for some reason yesterday I just stayed hungry. Then when I wasn't hungry, I stayed feeling full and bloated until this morning. Ugh.
Doing better today. younger DD was homesick so came home for a few days to study for exams. Glad she is so close that we can do that.
DId better planning today, and planning for tomorrow too. Yum
RIe: If you haven't had good Indian food, you have never had indian food. We have several good restaurants in the area, and since my Liz (daughter's friend) married a Bengali man, we have been invited to many celebratory feasts and it is wonderful.
Did go to yoga, and wrote an on-line exam for recertification in one of the teaching modalities I do, and got the laundry done. So a good day all round.

geoblewis
04-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Hey girls, quick check in for Sunday. FBG was 132, and then I decided that's all I wanted to test today. I had a lovely day: took DaisyMae to the dog park for a run, got some work done at home, went to lunch with some friends and now I'm ready to go to bed on time! I feel pretty happy and content today.

See you all tomorrow!

Ruthxxx
04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Geo, I love the name Daisy Mae! My Disney was already named when I got her and I considered changing her name to Daisy but didn't.

The Indian food caught up with me and I tested 5.8 this morning. Of course, having a rather carby day yesterday didn't help. I made cream of asparagus soup for lunch with my cousin and scorched it. We ended up having grilled cheese instead and a lot of laughs over the blow to my reputation. "How can you scorch soup, Martha?"

I'm off to the gym and then to my quilting group this morning. I stay only until noon but have running around to do afterwards so am taking a tuna salad with some celery sticks. I plan to park near one of our many lakes and have a peaceful soul-restoring lunch rather than eat with the gossipy quilting biddies. I gave up annoying situations for Lent!

Hope your first Monday in April is a good one. Be well. :cofdate:

chipper15173
04-02-2012, 07:22 AM
morning...
lost a pound. wasn't sure what the scale would say. i am just so bloated up. took something last night to help. hasn't kicked in yet. drinking loads of water again today. been since 09 i was at this weight, so maybe body deciding to hang onto some for a bit. no problem, that's what the body does, stress than releases it, cause you aren't starving it. just got back from my run, need breakfast and start some much needed housework.

Just completed a 2.63 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:40:23 | Calories Burned 266
Average Pace 15:22 / mi | Average Speed 3.90 mph | Elevation Climb 102 ft

Riemontana
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at a strange 91 this morning. I am really not sure why? I have a busy week this first week in April. I did 40 minutes of Walkitout this morning.

I got a new kindle fire this weekend and I am sure enjoying it. I have been downloading games, movies and books in preparation for my trip.

Georgia, I love how you post the details of your run. I enjoy reading about it. Your weight will come down.

Ruth, LOL at burning soup! I'd say that humor was worth a few carbs. Your plan for lunch sounds lovely.

Mad, how nice that your dd feels that the place she can do the best is at home. That says a lot.

Bonnie, dratted scales! I don't understand how they can rocket up and then slowly slide down. GRRRR.

Trish, that straight talk smart phone has so much cool stuff - including gps apps so you can track walking, etc. You can also now track your food on the go if you want.... Enjoy.

Sorry if I missed anyone, off to work.

Rie

geoblewis
04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I have decided that tracking bg, macronutrients and calories, weight and time exercised is too much for me. Something gotta go! My priority must be the diabetes and PCOS management, so all the tracking is important. But it's making me nuts. So all I'm going to do this week is track fbg and carb intake.

This morning, start of day 4 on Janumet 50/500 x2, fbg was 112. Finally below 120! I am happy with that progress, but of course, I wish I could have achieved it all without meds. But when I see good numbers, I feel encouraged to keep tracking those. So this is what I'll keep an eye on this week.

And since tracking what I eat is important too, I'll keep doing that as well. I'm taking a break from the scale and from exercise for the week. I just want to see what the meds and controlling food can do now.

Catch you later! Hope you're all off to a great start in April.

Butterfly50
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
So I have fallen flat on my face so I must get up and dust myself off and start all over... Dang People who cant accept what I am trying to do...

fatmad
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Georgia: don't be discouraged about the meds. I was able to get control of bs with very low carb (atkins induction) but any more carbs than that I didn't have good control and thought that was not realistic for life. I ASKED for the metformin, as there are many studies that show lower risk of most diabetes side effects (like heart disease, vascular problems, kidney and eye problems) with the met that the side effects were worth it. I really don't wanna be old and broken because of blood sugars. If adding the janumet in works, you will be glad not to have to be a victim diabetes! And it DOES work better with your good efforts, so don't abandon your hard work.

for my part, fbs was 4.9 today, and after work I took the dog for a long walk, AND went to a 90 minute very aerobic hot yoga class. I am making up for not working out much last week since I was working so much!

Helloes to everyone else,
RIe: why is 91 so odd?
Ruth: it cracks me up that you "gave up annoying situations for Lent", I hope you didn't suffer too much, but Lent is over by the way!

have a happy monday friends

geoblewis
04-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Felt like touching base this afternoon just to say to Bonnie...Rock on sister! I'm feeling your words today.

Madeline, thank you for the reality check. All day I've felt pretty wonky from the Janument, but my numbers have been very good all day. The only high was just an hour after I ate a mini Larabar for a snack (I guess they're off my list now) and that was only up to 130. I even was down in the 90s before lunch!

So the meds are doing what they're supposed to be doing, but really, I felt better before I had to take anything. Just need to ride this out for another 11 days to see if these side effects will go away. I am too dizzy and foggy to exercise and I really miss my Pilates class. I haven't been able to walk my dog either.

I feel so cold today too! Can't warm up at all, not even in the shower.

pattygirl63
04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
A quick one tonight. The kids are on spring break so DH and I took the kids out to Golden Corral and then to the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte. Had fun but we were all wiped out when we got home. Youngest DGD went to bed right after dinner.

I did pretty good eating. I had a salad and then ate mostly veggies since I need to get this swelling down. Drinking loads of water since I got home. I was going to drop the WW online membership, but decided that even doing IF that I need to keep track of my eating. So stayed with it.

I'll read and catchup on indies tomorrow.

Good night.

chipper15173
04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
morning....
nothing on the "to do" list today. will finish laundry. zumba tonight. the gym has new classes on is called gut and butt and kickboxing. will be taking both. have to rearrange the WW meeting to get the gut and butt. will do the kickboxing one for sure. i could take classes all day, do some sort of exercise. i love the high i get. but, i know it's not good either. will find my happy medium some day.
off to get by breakfast
have a good day.

Ruthxxx
04-03-2012, 07:07 AM
I could swear I posted yesterday but maybe it was an hallucination!

I went to the gym as scheduled yesterday and then to my quilting group. I usually fade outta there by noon but got caught yesterday for the "lunch". Everyone brings their own and one person brings the decadent dessert. I did share Dianne's hummus and veggies but refused the chocolate cream pie even though I was assured it was "light". Yeah, right!

Thanks for the reminder, Mad but Lent really isn't over yet, is it? Seems to me it ends Good Friday but I could be wrong. (Been wrong before - married twice!)

On our news (CTV) last night there was a blurb about health changes you can make to get a longer life. I'll try to track down the questionnaire. One thing they did say was that citrus fruit helps prevent strokes caused by blood clots in women. I'm off to eat a grapefruit right now - the last of my Florida fruit.

Have a healthy Tuesday and hang tough.

fatmad
04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Just a quick hello, fbs was 4.7 this am. Stuck to daily points yesterday, and weight is still below 170!
Ruth, I think Lent ends on Palm Sunday, which was just the other day. I could be wrong too, but thats my memory of it.
I am loving reading everyone's posts, its great to hear from everyone. And Bonnie, I echo Georgia, you can get up again! Thats the difference between successful weightloss and not so successful, is that we forgive ourselves for our transgressions and get going on track again. GOod luck friends

Ruthxxx
04-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Just checked and Lent ends Thursday, April 5 or Maundy Thursday which was the night of the Last Supper. I guess I have to stick to my guns for another two days and keep out of annoying situations. I had planned to give up procrastination but never got around to doing that.

Riemontana
04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Hello everyone!

fbs at 71 this morning. I slept poorly - tossing and turning since about 3am. Oh well. It will help me to sleep tonight. I have back-to-back meetings today and then I will come home to pack and prepare for a 0500 departure for Grand Forks. I probably already told you that my DIL is getting her masters in fine arts. Thursday is her art show and reception. I am traveling (11 hours) oh my, with my parents. My mom has already been driving me crazy with preparations :p I reminded myself how lucky I am that they are still around and able to be a pain in the tushy!:D

Mad, like you, I am sure enjoying the activity on this thread. I thought my 91 fbs was odd because it was so high compared to my usual and I couldn't think of anything that would have moved it up :?: You are clearly under 170 now!:carrot:

Ruth, tee he on procrastination. I am always amazed at what people try to pass up as "light" fare or "diabetes friendly". Of course, I can't really blame them when I look at so-called "light" recipes or diabetes cookbook main dishes with 45 carbs. Wow.

Chipper, wow, good job on the exercise. The gut and butt and kickboxing class sounds amazing!

Trish, good job at the buffet. All that bad, goey, starchy stuff does me in.

Georgia. Your numbers are looking good. Hang in there. I hope you aren't offended by the following questions. It has come up many times and I think it is worthy of conversation..... It applies to me, also

Why do we all want to "get off our meds" or control diabetes with only diet and exercise" I mean, I don't really like taking my meds everyday.... it is sometimes expensive and always a pain. I am just curious because I don't think most people with a chronic illness are always striving to "get off meds". When people ask me about my diabetes, they always want to know if I "control it with diet or do I have to take pills or shots?" What does that question mean? Certainly, we can all make our condition worse but most of us will not become non-diabetic if we are "really, really good" forever. It feels like a judgement - by us and on us.

Like Mad, I have come to accept that this is a long term battle and my goal is to avoid the consequences of blood sugar issues. I believe that I will be taking some medication to protect my tissues even if I can reach my goal weight. Arthritis is rampant in my family, as well as diabetes. I never hear anyone talk about "getting off their arthritis meds". Again, I don't mean to be offensive here - I am talking to myself and wondering if this resonates with anyone else.

Off to face the day. Have a good and healthy day.

Rie

ksails
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
hey everyone, spring break here and dh just got home from a week long business trip so ive been gone busy and gone some more! lol Had some carb love on saturday and sunday (i seriously couldnt stop eating i was so SO hungry lol) 159 carbs one day and 150 the next (YIPES!!) but yesterday and today im back on track, fbs was 133 yesterday morning and 119 today so things are starting to return to normal. no weight loss, but no gain im hoping to see the 259 number before the end of next week!! :)

geoblewis
04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
FBG was 122 this morning.

I totally get what you're saying here, Rie. :) I accept that I have to eat a certain way because I'm type 2, PCOS and menopausal. I have to avoid certain foods forever because I'm highly sensitive to them. I have to exercise a specific way so that it doesn't impact my blood sugar negatively, doesn't disrupt my sleeping pattern, etc. I take vitamins for all the above. So why am I so averse to taking meds? For me, it's because I don't feel well when I take them.

Just two months ago, I was doing all the above without meds. I wasn't testing my blood sugar at all and I was bumbling along, feeling really good, with the exception of being hungry all the time. So I ate at a caloric and nutritive level that prevented me from seeing any sort of consistent weight loss. That was very frustrating. I have a very hard time cutting calories down to below 1400, but that's what it took for me to lose weight. I had a hard time getting carbs below 50 gm/day. I felt ravenous when I ate less than 80 gm of protein a day. And yet, other than feeling so hungry, I felt fine.

Now I'm on Janumet. I spent the last two days experiencing chills all day. I have been woozy and foggy for three days. I feel very unstable on my feet. I can't exercise right now, and I really miss my Pilates class! I can't walk my dog. I can't get work done as quickly and I'm really behind on my tasks. But, my blood sugar numbers are looking better and better, almost normal. And I'm not hungry all day (because I'm kinda queasy), and the weight I was struggling to lose is finally coming off without having to drop carbs below 50 gm and protein below 80 gm and calories below 1400.

If I could lose weight at a steady rate until I reach goal, I think I could give up a year of clarity for that. I really believe that at some point, I will be able to manage the blood sugar without meds. I wasn't seeing blood sugar levels over 200 before, so at a healthy weight with regular exercise and reasonable carb/protein management, I will be able to control it. Someday, when I'm much older, I'll probably have to go back on medication. But if I can avoid the side effects I'm experiencing now, well, that's something I'm willing to work hard for.

I once had a talk with a pharmacist who was my neighbor when I first was diagnosed with type 2. She told me to stay off medication as long as possible because the side effects do make an impact on quality of life. That's what I've been basing my aversion to pills on. I worked really hard to get my A1c down initially and did a lot to stay on track for six years. I was really shocked at my most recent period of bg testing. The wild numbers and the really high morning readings and how sensitive I seemed to be when I ate anything or exercised at the wrong times. I'm upset that I have to be on meds. It feels like I'm losing a battle of control.

I know...:p. I want to be in control of how I feel! Of how healthy I am! I don't do anything that contributes to my ill health. I initially gained weight because I had to take meds for respiratory issues, then depression, and that set off a chain of events that pulled the trigger on my genetic predispositions and led me to my current state of health. I'm really angry about that, and I've been scared of taking meds for anything ever since.

I'm fixed on my goal to lose weight and get back to a state of health I can maintain drug-free. If I had serious issues that required a lifetime of being on medications, then I'd work through the control issues and I'd learn to accept the situation and take back my life. It might be what I need to do now, but I'm opting to float on denial/hope for a bit longer, until I hear otherwise.

Today, this morning, I feel woozy, but I got life to live, kids to feed, dog to walk to the doggie spa, work to get done. I'm going to my private training session in an hour to see what I can do for exercise now. I'm going to be in a fog the entire day. I might trip over the dog on the way to the spa appointment. I'm hope to have a good day despite my challenges. I usually do. Hope you all do too!

fatmad
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Georgia: it is too bad to have been turned off the med by a pharmacist. Yes there can be side effects. FOr metformin at least, they are usually temporary and dose related. I hope the Janumet will be similar for you and that you will be able to get stable sugars that way.
Reading the Janumet literature, it would seem this is not a common or normal side effect. Have you checked with your doctor? Please call right away and let your caregivers check it out!

I think you are doing amazing, and it IS really hard when you are woozy etc. So keep up the good work. It IS worth it.

Ruthxxx
04-04-2012, 06:09 AM
Fly-by post with a warning. Do NOT eat a package of No Sugar Added Easter candies that are sweetened with Malitol. I may have to take a porta-potty to the gym this morning.

Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.

fatmad
04-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Fly-by post with a warning. Do NOT eat a package of No Sugar Added Easter candies that are sweetened with Malitol. I may have to take a porta-potty to the gym this morning.

Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.

:D Ruth, maybe thats what I NEED to do. Took restoralax last night, (same as miralax) and no effect this morning. I always have this problem as I approach weigh-in day, no matter how much fibre I am eating. Getting frustrating. So maybe maltilol is the answer. :p

fbs 4.8 this am. weight at 170. Have a work dinner the next two nights as we wine and dine potential new midwives and their life partners. Being rural, its hard to attract applicants sometimes, so we are going to work it.

DD goes back to residence for a couple of days for exams. Has been nice having her here, and she is doing better at being a good roommate. SHe picked up after herself and cooked a bit for the family. Made me think of Trish, and how maddening it can be to be having to take care of adults who still think that they don't need to do these things. I told her right out how I appreciated that she was doing these things and that it made it a joy to have her here. (no mincing words, I want her to know how important it is!)

ksails welcome back, and hope the carb cravings don't do you in!

chipper15173
04-04-2012, 08:04 AM
morning....

C25K day 2 week 5
Just completed a 2.14 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:32:58 | Calories Burned 220
Average Pace 15:24 / mi | Average Speed 3.89 mph | Elevation Climb 85 ft

i am getting too high on exercise lately. i find myself wanting that high all the time. but, too much (like food, alcohol, cigarettes) can hurt you. so i have to find a happy medium...it'a always something to figure out.

off to shower and get the day going. WW weigh in tonight.

ksails
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
im good with the carb cravings, lol i was having chocolate isues, and i ate it ALLLL so, yk im good now that its out of the darn house. Kids will have milk chocolate from easter, but i dont like milk chocolate, only like dark so as long as the dark choc stays gone, im good LOL.

Georgia i hope you feel better! it takes me about a month to adjust to new meds, and im tired and cranky and nauseated the whole darn time!! lol

Ruth HAAHAAHAAA.. I always tell the kids clench and do not let anything escape and RUN for the bathroom. hehe

Fasting bs was 109 this morning, went to gym at 5:30am and did the treadmill n everything (batwings ect.. lol)
My weight has been going up and down and up and down but im hoping for a few pound loss by the weekend!!

pattygirl63
04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Sorry! TMI, I'm sure.

I quit buying that stuff long time and swore to never buy it ever again for the same reason. I pass it in the store and I don't even think about buying it any more. One of the things that doesn't tempt me.:dizzy:

pattygirl63
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Haven't been here in a few days. DH put the new hard drive in my pc and has been busy reloading things and is still more to go.

I'm hobbling on my right hip. I remember now how my hip used to always hurt when I sat at DH desktop pc. There just isn't an easy way for me to sit there. So I'm sitting on the heating pad hoping to get rid of the pain really soon. Will be coming in here when I can on my pc.

Rie - I don't know why we want to get off the meds. For one thing there are so many bad side effects and I've seen so many people who just depend on the meds to control the numbers and they are the ones who have all the complications in the end. I guess just I want to be sure I'm on the right track and hope I don't go down the road they did. Although I have to admit that the way I've acted lately that you wouldn't think I even care. However, I have come to the place that I know how I have to eat so that it works for me. I can't seem to take the Metformin and I thank God that eating the IF way does seem to keep the fbs down if and when I eat right and don't eat like a crazy binger. So it seems that my body is forcing me to eat the way I have to eat to keep it down.

Well, I had planned to give up my online membership at WW, but decided to keep it. I think I need to have to type in the weight each week. Some of those doing IF also do WW. So I will continue to do the same since I seem to need it to keep my eating under control. So today I wiped the slate clean on WW and started over and I've got a clean day going. In the past I've been on diets during the springtime that didn't allow fruits, but this spring I'm not making that mistake again. I love how WW allows so much fruit and veggies and springtime seems to be a goodtime to get back to eating healthier.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Ruthxxx
04-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Another fly-by. My Sunday dinner guests are coming tomorrow so I have a very busy day ahead. I have the pork roast marinating and the ingredients ready for my :censored: rum cake. I will not eat even one crumb!

Seem to have recovered from the Mailtol. I bought the stupid candies to decorate the cake for yesterday's luncheon but the stress of the car problem made me dive into them. I'm usually in better control than that. FBS is back to 4.3 this morning although weight is still stuck.

Need to focus more on fruits and vegetables as I've been carbing it a bit too much lately. Cheese and ww crackers are not a meal. This morning I will clean out the fridge and compost the below par veggies that I just don't get around to eating. On the other hand ... veggie soups?

Wishing us all a joyous Easter with lots of strength to avoid too much chocolate. :grouphug:

pattygirl63
04-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm doing a flyby this morning as well. Just to say hi:wave:

DH has 2 doctor's appt this morning. One is a follow up with hemotologiest and the other is just his regular PT test to check blood thickness. BTW He is doing so much better than he realizes. He is back to mowing the lawn without feeling like he is going to pass out. And we got a note from our regular doc that DH is no longer anemic. DH wants copy of report with numbers and will get that today.

Thanks to having waited till the last minute to do taxes (which was only done late because DH has been so sick), I have a 100% OP Day 1 behind me. I was too busy getting my part done to eat. Yay!!! So on to day 2.

Y'all have a great day and I'll BBL.

geoblewis
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I had such a great night of sleep! It sure does a lot for my morning mood!

FBG 118 (improving!) and I am not feeling so wonky with the meds today. I might be seeing a normal, productive day ahead of me!

Dog needs to go to the vet.
I have one client's work I need to finish.
I gotta do laundry.
Gotta get my passport paperwork done today, plus the pictures.

That's enough, I think. Hope you all have a lovely day!

fatmad
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I didn't go to weigh in last night, as we were wining and dining applicants to join our practice. They are all new grads, and we had a lovely time, and interviewed them more formally today, and picked a terrific woman to join us. Has the sweetest baby, and nice husband, who both came for the dinner last night.
I shouldn't have had the dessert though, that was silly. Its fine to have the points, I will go on daily points for several days, but I didn't enjoy it enough to use the points. Well, time to count em up!
Hello all, hope everyone has a good long weekend, and for those who are Christian, may your services be lovely, nothing like a sunrise Easter service!

Ruthxxx
04-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Quickie - did a post and lost it and my day is starting without me. BGL good and darn ticker is still stuck.

Solemn service at Church this morning, a lunch and then crazy friends coming for dinner. We are having rum cake which I will definitely avoid. I will have roasted veggies and the pork loin though.

Gotta dash. Have a great long weekend.

MAD, I'm doing the sunrise service too. We go to Pike Rock which overlooks the beautiful Rideau Lakes. Then we go to a pancake house which I will try to avoid!

fatmad
04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
fbs 5.2 today. not bad after a couple of days of overeating. Am not on call for the weekend, but not much happening today, so I am gonna do a fat fast. Its an atkins thing, and I am hoping it will clear me up for eating over the weekend. I started with cream cheese for breakfast, just cut it up and sprinkled splenda and cinnamon on it. Makes for 3 points in ww. Weather is lovely, planning a trail walk and yoga today.
Georgia, its great you are feeling better. I am so glad! and your sugars are improving pretty dramatically too. thats awesome. Happy Friday friends.

chipper15173
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Just completed a 1.88 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:29:07 | Calories Burned 203
Average Pace 15:28 / mi | Average Speed 3.88 mph | Elevation Climb 81 ft

looming storm clouds over heard. just not into it today. just did the C25K time and no extra. today was running for 20 mins straight. did it. surprised me. now the treadmill is harder for me to run on, than outside.

pattygirl63
04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
A quick flyby here for me too. Ate a bit myself yesterday, but scale was down a whole lb. Go figure. Been checking FBS early when I remember to do it so don't really know what fbs really is. Keeping late hours with DH while kids are out for spring break, so nothing is regular any way. I think it helps to go heavy on the fruits and veggies. I ate a lot of veggies and fruit yesterday and it seems to have helped. Who knows as these bodies seems to be a mistery to me. As long as I eat 95% healthy, I feel it has to pay off in the long run.

Good news is that DH hemotologist said DH blood count and all the other numbers he checked are normal. So he doesn't have to go back for 4 months.

Mad - I was so glad to see things went so well with your DD.

Got a busy day today trying to get things done before DH gets up and is ready to leave. Hope everyone has a great Good Friday.

geoblewis
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh, oh, OH!!! I couldn't wait to report to you all this morning! FBG was 99 this morning! That calls for a carrot!!! :carrot:

Yesterday breakfast was totally free of carbs, and later meals were more carby but not too much. I actually quit eating around 5 pm because 1) I forgot to eat till 8 and 2) I had to start fasting at 8 for morning blood work at the lab. Before bed my bg was 108. I was a little worried I'd get hypo overnight, but the Janumet isn't supposed to cause that, so I just went to sleep.

So, after labs were done it was 9 a.m. and I was really hungry. Made stupid, STUPID decision of going to McDonald's and got the Sausage McMuffin, hashbrown and large coffee with 4 creams. I used to pound that combo years ago, with 2 extra hashbrowns. But this time, I started feeling fullish after the hashbrown, but I also felt guilt so I thought I'd better eat the McMuffin to get some protein in me. An hour later, bg was up to 178! Okay, NOT doing that ever again! Thankfully an hour after that, bg was back down to 118.

Just sticking to veggies and fish this afternoon and a salad with grilled chicken for dinner. And I'm going to knock off eating early again, to see if my fbg will be under 100 again tomorrow.

I'm feeling a bit less woozy on the Janumet today. One more week till I go back to my doctor for the follow up.

In case we don't connect, I wish those of you who are so inclined to have a lovely Passover/Easter. And everyone else, have a lovely weekend!

pattygirl63
04-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Georgia - Congrats on the 99 fbs. I'm happy for you.

Not sure how eating will be this week end. DH and I went out and had Chinese food today. Came home and the children asked us to celebrate Passover with them tonight which we did. DSIL is Jewish and children are half Jewish. So I ended up eating lots of carbs today. Tomorrow will be OP and I probably will be able to keep food OP Sunday when we will celebrate Easter with a ham. So fbs will not be to wonderful the next few days.

Hope everyone has a great weekend no matter how you spend it.

Ruthxxx
04-07-2012, 07:10 AM
:wave: Dinner went well last night - the Pypers are way too much fun and their two dogs fit right in with my pack. Yes, I did send the leftover cake home with them. I have a lot of pork loin left though - guess I'll slice and freeze it to be used judiciously.

FBGL was 4.0 this morning and ticker is lying again. It must have been the dry salt and herb marinade on the roast. Lots of veggies and water are the plan today.

Enjoy your weekend whatever you do.

geoblewis
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I was so COLD yesterday. Bg had gotten down in the 70s at one point during the day. I spoke with my doctor and she told me to cut back my Janumet to once a day. I am feeling better this morning and I think I won't take it till tonight. I didn't take it last night and my fbg was back up to 120 this morning. It's the morning number I'm most concerned with.

And it didn't help that I ate two slices of pizza and chicken wings last night for dinner...

This morning my son, dog and I are going out to the farm that I do web and social media management for. I'm going to video tape Farmer Bob while Daisy chases the chickens and Rhyan tries to not look bored. I'm going to score some chard, leaf lettuces and pastured eggs. I love working for my veggies and eggs! It's shaping up to be a gorgeous day!

fatmad
04-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Just a quick HI, Georgia I am thrilled for the bg under 1001 definitely calls for a carrot!
My fat fast worked and I was down below 170 again this am, then went to the big city dress shopping, still haven't found "THE" dress. DD came along, and we took photos on my phone, so I can keep thinking about the choices. One nicer dress, the size 14 way too big, (big grin) but the 12 a bit snug. A few more pounds would do it, and since I have lost already and hope to lose more, its a real contender. None of them wowed me though.
Hellos to Ruth , Rie, Trish and everyone else. I am tired and off to bed, going to church with my Dad tmw.

Ruthxxx
04-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Happy Easter and Passover to those of us who celebrate.

I am off to Church and then for brunch at my friend's house. Claire's a good and healthy cook and is doing it buffet style so I will be able to choose what to eat. Dinner at my son's inlaws' house will be a different thing. :(

So far I have managed to avoid sugar, aside from the disastrous Malitol episode early in the week. FBGL was a good solid 4.2 and weight from the salty pork is slowly "trickling" away.

Enjoy your Sunday and do something nice for yourself today - even just a slather of hand cream will count.

pattygirl63
04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Happy Easter Chickees. Happy Sunday to those who don't celebrate Easter. All of you have a great day!!!

carolr3639
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Does anyone here know anything about agave syrup? My DD tells me it doesn't raise blood sugar like regular sugar.

fatmad
04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Does anyone here know anything about agave syrup? My DD tells me it doesn't raise blood sugar like regular sugar.

have been told the same thing. Lots of people can tolerate honey and maple syrup better (lower glycemic index) and I think agave syrup is like that. However, it still has calories etc. YOu could test your own reaction by doing bs after having some.

fatmad
04-08-2012, 08:35 PM
got through the day ok, somehow. DIdn't have any easter chocolate, but did have a big brunch and big dinner. It was Dad's birthday as well as Easter, so I convinced my sister to show up. All went well. I told Dad later that was my gift to him, since he doesn't need "stuff" and he really appreciates little visits, which she rarely makes. So luring her here was a great gift for him.
I made a ricotta cake, (low fat ricotta, so far fewer calories than cheesecake) and everyone liked it. Just made a fresh fruit sauce with splenda to pour on it. Went for a nice trail walk with everyone too. weather has been good.
Took Dad to church this am, nice service, I really like to sing, and the hymns are like old friends from childhood.
So all round a good day. Am planning another fat fast tomorrow though. I feel there have just been too many "feasts" this week. the fat fast is easier than a complete fast and keeps my sugars pretty even. Tomorrow am dying easter eggs with little Lillia, so looking forward to some quality "auntie" time.
Happy Easter!

pattygirl63
04-08-2012, 09:48 PM
got through the day ok, somehow. DIdn't have any easter chocolate, but did have a big brunch and big dinner. It was Dad's birthday as well as Easter, so I convinced my sister to show up. All went well. I told Dad later that was my gift to him, since he doesn't need "stuff" and he really appreciates little visits, which she rarely makes. So luring her here was a great gift for him.
I made a ricotta cake, (low fat ricotta, so far fewer calories than cheesecake) and everyone liked it. Just made a fresh fruit sauce with splenda to pour on it. Went for a nice trail walk with everyone too. weather has been good.
Took Dad to church this am, nice service, I really like to sing, and the hymns are like old friends from childhood.
So all round a good day. Am planning another fat fast tomorrow though. I feel there have just been too many "feasts" this week. the fat fast is easier than a complete fast and keeps my sugars pretty even. Tomorrow am dying easter eggs with little Lillia, so looking forward to some quality "auntie" time.
Happy Easter!

Mad - I love cheesecake, would you post your recipe for the ricotta cake? I would love to try it.

Glad things went so well with your Dad and you could have your sister there with y'all.

geoblewis
04-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Well, I just can't leave things well enough alone...tonight I decided to try eating two things I haven't eaten in quite some time. Legumes (or pulses) and cornbread. I made a cannelini and chard soup, which was very low fat and low sodium too. I added some ground turkey to it. Deliscious! I really wanted a bread to go with it. Had received a shipment from King Arthur Flour that included the Hi-Maize high fiber flour, so I used it with some cornmeal and coconut flour to make a gluten free, high fiber cornbread. I didn't put anything to sweeten it and I really liked it. It had crunchy dense texture and was savory and tasty with butter on it. My sons liked it with butter and jam. It would make a tasty cornbread for Thanksgiving or Christmas dressing.

So three and a half hours later, my blood sugar was still at 130. I was too scared to test it earlier. I felt okay, but I know it had to be high. I don't know why I didn't test it at two hours. Well, I do know...I wanted plausible deniability!

I had a lot of fiber today. Over 35 gm. Hope that helps with the fbg in the morning.

Ruthxxx
04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Good morning and please boot my butt, Chickies. I did well on food but somebody put a solid chocolate bunny on my doorstep when I was at brunch. I gobbled it for lunch - an idiotic thing to do after such a lovely brunch. I guess the sugar devil is still alive and well in me. I wonder if the Malitol candy binge brought back the jerk!

BGL tested above 5 this morning and weight is still up. What the heck did I expect?

fatmad
04-09-2012, 08:15 AM
:frypan: Ruth, I couldn't find the butt kicker so you get a frypan on the head, instead. Personally, I don't think you should beat yourself up too much, who could resist. I bought some SF chocs for the weekend, but somehow was able to not eat them all in one go.
this am weight is still miraculously under 170 and fbs was 5.3, up a little bit, but not bad, considering. Too much feasting, still to full after supper and before bed to have a snack, so no doubt there was a bit of glucose dumping going on.
I will post the ricotta cake on a seperate thread.

Georgia, I expect you could have any one of those things with other food, but overall, it was a pretty high carb meal. You probably aren't ready for that yet. Later on, you may be able to handle it as a single meal, (the rest for that day and the day following being lower carb) . I seem to do better with pulses now too, which is nice, as I really like lentils and beans. I used to be vegan, years ago, and lived on such foods.

hello to all, have a great day, especially if you have today off!

chipper15173
04-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Just completed a 2.35 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:36:57 | Calories Burned 245
Average Pace 15:42 / mi | Average Speed 3.82 mph | Elevation Climb 96 ft

got it in today. now i have to finish spring cleaning the kitchen. did some on saturday, but, doing it with hubby is a no go. so will finish it up today.

pattygirl63
04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, I guess we all had carby day yesterday. I will check fbs around 12 or 1pm. I've not been faithful to keeping my feeding window less than 8 hrs so I know that along with the high carbs didn't help with keeping the weight or the fbs down. Back to longer fasts and lower carbing. Got to get rid of the sugar/carby junk food cravings under control. Low carb is the only thing that doesthat for me... may have to do a few days of Atkins to get control. WHATEVER:tantrum:

Well, no indies right now because DGS wants to sit in my lap while watching his show this morning. Things are back to normal this norning and he must have missed our time last week... making up for it now.:) Not easy typing with one hand. LOL

BBL

geoblewis
04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Oh Ruth! This dastardly bunnies! I saw some at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory on Saturday (I have no idea how I got in there!). So cute! Passed on those, but somehow a coconut haystack and some English toffee made it into my bag/purse/mouth. And I know better than to do that, because their chocolate has soy in it and I'm sensitive to that and I paid for it all afternoon with lethargy and aches. When will I learn!

I like the frying pan smiley. I'm going to use that! On my kids!

This morning's fbg was up to 138. I was expecting it to pop up higher after last night's carby dinner. I was disappointed that eating extra fiber didn't help me dodge that bullet.

But I still had to "make sure" the bg numbers were accurate on the bean soup. I love beans so much and have missed them, so I went for a big bowl at lunch, sans cornbread. (So happy my son took that with him for lunch today!) An hour after lunch, my bg was at 116. At two hours it was 133. So, beans are a slow-digesting carb for me. I ate a lot, so I'm happy that I can probably have smaller portions and probably be okay.

Today I've concentrated more on eating every three to four hours. Did great with keeping calories under 300 this morning. But lunch was a double portion. I guess I won't do a late afternoon snack but I will have an early dinner. Really, I want to eat in the afternoons and I could easily put away 800 calories at dinner. It's just how my body wants to eat. I've been trying for nearly a year to change that, but I spend every afternoon with gnawing hunger. Haven't been able to get away from that. Wish I could nap my way through it, but I have too much to do and it just disrupts my sleep schedule.

Suddenly remembering there's English toffee leftover from Saturday. :lol:...leftover English toffee...who ever heard of that!?

fatmad
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Georgia: since I live in a farming community, a lot of folks around here prefer a midday dinner and a lighter supper. It think its fine provided you don't fall asleep from too many carbs in the afternoon, (I always have trouble after 3 pm, but its worse with many carbs at lunch) and you don't also eat a full supper in the evening (which I have been quite guilty of in the past).
If I have a regular lunch, I need a healthy snack by 3 or 330 to keep working.
My new schedule has me working some longer days, I can no longer be done at 3, so am working at adapting some. Means careful points counting for my snacks.

Ruthxxx
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Quick check-in. Weight is still stuck but BGL is fine. I stocked up on produce yesterday and really, really enjoyed a green salad with my omelet last night! (I guess it was more of a Spanish tortilla than an omelet as it had onion and potato in it.) Thinking of a ground turkey meatloaf and more yummy salad tonight.

fatmad
04-10-2012, 07:09 AM
FBS 5.0 today, not bad after a low carb day yesterday and no bedtime snack.
well, its the "true" start of the week now, I am going to be helping out at the office today for other midwives. "short" weeks always make it hard to get all the clients seen in good time.
I will plan yoga this evening if all goes well.
Ruth, the meatloaf sounds good. DH and I voted for a bit of ham tonight. I think the salad greens and other fresh foods are getting better quality again as the weather gets better, even if the foods are often imported.
Its cold here today, might even see a bit of snow tonight.
hope it is more springlike for everyone else. ttfn

Ruthxxx
04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Turkey Meatloaf
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees/256566-turkey-meatloaf-your-search-over-moist-turkey-meatloaf.html#post4286071

pattygirl63
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, the fluid is finally coming off. Thank God. I had not said anything, but I was so swollen that my weight had gone up to 230.5 so I knew I had eaten a lot of salt somewhere. Getting to where it is no real joy to eat out in restaurants any more. One day on a lower carb day and doing the 5 hr eating window of IF and I was down to 225.5 this morning. So thankful that the lower carb takes care of the fluid as I just don't want to resort to fluid pills. Learned with DH mother when she was living that you can take so many of them that they don't work any more.

I didn't really cut out all the salt or all carbs, but ate them very moderately and within the WW pts plus. BTW I know Mad was concerned about me doing IF. So let me explain... I'm not short changing myself on the IF way of eating. I still get all my much needed nutrition. I get all the fruit, veggies and protein that my body needs to be healthy and even add "some" carbs. I just eat them within my window of 5 to 7 hrs. And then I'm drinking all the water and green tea that I need during the fasting hrs. That's the main reason that I decided to continue with the WWP+ along with IF. I know that I need the WWP+ structure so I can do this and be healthy otherwise, I would be tempted to binge on junk foods and that would defeat the purpose of IF for me. I'm doing IF to keep my fbs normal along with all the other benefits of better numbers overall. I found that if I give in to binges on junk foods that the fbs does not improve like it does if you do IF with the healthy eating.

Mad - Thanks for the recipe. I plan to get the ingredients and make it this weekend for a healthy dessert. You are doing great and you are going to look great at the wedding.

Ruthie - Thanks for the recipe. DH would never eat it, but it would be a great to eat with the kids. DD and her family would love it.

Bonnie, Rie, Chipper and everyone else:wave:

Have a great day!

pattygirl63
04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
A quick one to just share that my FBS is 109 lowest so far. YAY:carrot:

fatmad
04-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Trish, you are doing great, a nice fbs and losing that retained fluid. Keep up the good work!

Ruthxxx
04-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Good morning. I'm off to the gym shortly. It'll be hard to workout after not being there in a week - they closed over the long Easter weekend. I do need to get stronger so I can tackle major garden tasks soon.

Weight down to 179 and BGL 5.0. Breakfast was a Fibre1, flax, milk and blackberry smoothie and was quite yummy. When we go to the Diner after gym, I will resist the muffins!

I hope everyone is in recovery mode after the Easter weekend. I know I am!

fatmad
04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
fbs 4.9 today, hurray! sleep patterns seem to be changing with longer days, instead of waking twice in the night and sleeping later, I seem to only wake once (to pee of course) and sleep more solidly, but wake up earlier. No biggie, probably overall is the same.
Haven't been to yoga since Friday, hope to get out for a short trail walk this am, will go to yoga in pm if able.
Ruth, enjoy the gym. I gave my walking poles to my father, but now want a set, will have to cruise some garage sales soon.
THere is snow on the ground here this am! Unusual for southern Ontario, but its been a crazy spring.
Happy Wednesday chickies, its weigh-in night for me!

pattygirl63
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Good Morning Chickies,

Well, I am well on my way finally. Official WI is 5 lbs according to my ticker, however, it is really 7 lbs from the fluid gain. Either way, I am so grateful that the scale is moving in the right direction. I definitely attribute it to not on IF, but to doing IF with clean eating and WW guidelines really helps of eating loads of veggies, fruits and protein. Thank God I've finally found my way.

Ruthie - I also have to get to exercising as I need to strengthen my legs and improve my circulation.

Mad - Isn't that the way it goes. We give away something only to wish we had it again. I gave my treadmill to my Daddy when I married DH. Have no idea where it is now, but I have really missed it.

Bonnie, Rie, Chipper and everyone else hope everything is going well with y'all.

Have a great day.

geoblewis
04-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Drive-by posting...

FBS 118

Have a great day!

pattygirl63
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Drive-by posting...

FBS 118

Have a great day!

Good Georgia. Good to hear from you.

fatmad
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Happy weigh-in night to me! ww scale is slightly below the ticker, and even though I have eaten lots I still have a couple of points left for a bedtime snack. :D
Having a good work week, and got to yoga today. Planning trail walk tomorrow. All in all, feeling pretty good.
Trish, I would like the poles back, but am glad to give them to Dad. walking is about all he can do for exercise now, although he is going back to T'ai Chi, but he takes that quite slow and easy, and its at the seniors centre. With the poles he is getting a bit of a workout for his arms, and he does need it! But so do I.
However, I was looking at my arms tonight with my tank top on for yoga, and there is some nice muscle definition there. I can hold a plank or downward dog for quite a while now, and can do flows moving through rather well, and it is starting to show. My abs are also pretty good under the flubber, so as that leaves me, I have faith it will show too. :D:D
Short week, Its already Wednesday night!

Ruthxxx
04-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Good morning. Ticker is still lying but not so much and FBGL is 4.0 although I did have pasta last night. Gym yesterday was torture after a week away! My PT was keen to show me some ab exercises and I'm sure sore today.

Cooked a beef heart for the dogs "pantry" yesterday and tasted it. It certainly is a lean meat and might work in some recipes. It's not really an organ meat because it is pure muscle. I must research and experiment.

Hope your day is fun and healthy.

fatmad
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
fbs 4.7 today, lowest yet! will move ticker the next pound down if the reading stays around a couple of days! After the feasts and fasts of last week, time to have a plain old diet for a bit.
Ruth, I like heart as well. I eat the chicken heart from the giblets when I roast a bird, but a beef heart is too big, since no one else in the family will eat it.
I don't like liver at all, but heart is rather nice to me. I just ate it roasted and sliced, like beef, when we did a beef heart.
Its a lovely sunny day here, and will go for a walk with the dog before I go off to work.
Georgia, Trish, CHipper, Rie, everyone else, hello, and drop us a line!

Butterfly50
04-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Sitting here and being down again today. Been this way for the past week almost two weeks. So many problems in my family I jest don't know what to do first .It is mainly with my two daughters I have one that is so full of anger you can't say alot to her cause she will start screaming. The other one is my biggest she thinks because she is 17 that she knows everything. Spent two hours in her therapy session yesterday and I come out feeling down . According to her it is all my fault that she can't read and she was put out of school . I tell her all the time I didnt go to school and scream and cuss the teachers and the Principal and get suspended all that time that was all her. Plus get arrested twice.

So with me feeling Down I have not worked out I have not ate right and I have gained I ate a whole box of peanut butter Easter eggs and some marshmallow eggs. Now I sit here Like what am I doing to myself why am I doing this I need to think about me . I have been waking up every morning with a backache . Some one send me some relief.

So me and the Aunt and her Daughter and grand daughter is supposed to be going to Ga next week for a few days to get away and it seems like we are destined not to go. The baby gets sick and they set here and say hopefully she will get better or we can't go but she isn't going to get better if you don't give her any meds for it. Now my kids are like I don't feel good . I am about to pull my hair out. I am so tired and so stressed out I jest feel like crying . I don't know what to do. I feel miserable.

Thank you guys for letting me vent. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

pattygirl63
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
A quick flyby this morning as it will be a busy day. DSIL was off the last 2 days, but is working today. Hope they don't have to start laying guys off. 40 people told not to come in Tuesday because they had no work for them so he was off Tues and Wed. I was down another 1/2 a lb this morning but so maybe I will do good again this week. I may have cut my feeding window short yesterday because I couldn't remember what time we ate and I didn't want to go over the 5 hr window. So I think I had a 4 hr window instead. I will end up with between 22 - 24 hr fast today as I have an appt at 12 for a perm and then going to run by the store before coming home. I've been wanting to do a 24 hr fast at least once in a while so may get it done today. I'm just so thankful that the scales are starting to move again.

:wave:Hello to everybody and y'all have a great Thursay.

pattygirl63
04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Sitting here and being down again today. Been this way for the past week almost two weeks. So many problems in my family I jest don't know what to do first .It is mainly with my two daughters I have one that is so full of anger you can't say alot to her cause she will start screaming. The other one is my biggest she thinks because she is 17 that she knows everything. Spent two hours in her therapy session yesterday and I come out feeling down . According to her it is all my fault that she can't read and she was put out of school . I tell her all the time I didnt go to school and scream and cuss the teachers and the Principal and get suspended all that time that was all her. Plus get arrested twice.

So with me feeling Down I have not worked out I have not ate right and I have gained I ate a whole box of peanut butter Easter eggs and some marshmallow eggs. Now I sit here Like what am I doing to myself why am I doing this I need to think about me . I have been waking up every morning with a backache . Some one send me some relief.

So me and the Aunt and her Daughter and grand daughter is supposed to be going to Ga next week for a few days to get away and it seems like we are destined not to go. The baby gets sick and they set here and say hopefully she will get better or we can't go but she isn't going to get better if you don't give her any meds for it. Now my kids are like I don't feel good . I am about to pull my hair out. I am so tired and so stressed out I jest feel like crying . I don't know what to do. I feel miserable.

Thank you guys for letting me vent. Hopefully I will feel better soon.

Bonnie - :hug:I am so sorry you are going through this. I remember going through the same type of things with my kids when they were teens. My 2 younger kids grew out of it and did great, but my oldest blamed everyone for his misfortunes and as far as I know still does. We don't hear from him anymore because his wife doesn't like our family. He was the one who skipped school and didn't graduate from high school. He is the one who lost a really good job along with his first wife and family because he chose to leave them for a girl and did drugs etc with her and ended up in jail. His Daddy and I borrowed over a thousand dollars and I went with him and picked up hot checks to keep him from going to jail the first time he got into trouble, but his Daddy died the night he was picked up on the drug charge and I didn't have the money to get him out of trouble. I told the second son that his brother never appreciated what we did so if he got in trouble not to even call me because we were not making the same mistake with him. He got in trouble and went to jail not long after that and lost his job. My friend told me he came to her and asked her for a job and told her what I had told him. By the time he got home and told me what had happened, he had worked everything out himself and had a job working for my friend painting apartments. He is the best son and very responsible. I wish I had known to let the oldest boy work things out instead of bailing him out and just maybe he would have made better choices and be a more responsible person instead of thinking the world owes him something.

Don't stop taking care of yourself, believe me it won't help your daughter. I will keep you in my prayers and you come her and vent any time you need to. Sometimes it helps just to get it off our chests. This group has been so supportive of me when I needed to vent. :hug: Try to have a good day anyway.

Riemontana
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Hello friends.

Sorry that I have been MIA for a few days. I spent the last week in ND with my ds and family. The internet at the hotel was wonky. I have spent the last couple of days trying to catch up. My eating wasn't bad but my weight is still holding higher than I would like. I am going to really hit it hard for a couple weeks and see if I can't get past this plateau. fbs at a high 98 this morning but I know it is due to the graham cracker that I ate at about 4am. I woke with nausea and just needed to settle it down. Other than that, I have been holding from 75 - 85.

Mad, you sound so good and I am so happy for your next decade! I am going to add hot yoga classes to my routine for the next month.

Ruth, heart is good, lean meat. I love it.

Trish, it sounds like you have landed in a plan that is working for you. Good job!

Georgia, wow, you are doing great.

Bonnie, I am so sorry for your troubles. As a therapist, I am troubled by the idea that your daughter would be allowed to blame you in that fashion. Was she confronted at all? Please be kind to yourself..... As someone who works with adolescents, I can tell you that this will pass. It only SEEMS endless at the time. As much as you can, take care of you. :hug:

Well, off to work and face the rainy day. Good health, everyone!

Rie

geoblewis
04-12-2012, 11:47 AM
FBG was 112 this morning. Loving these numbers!

Bonnie, I had a long talk with a good friend yesterday about the state of my relationship with both my teenage sons. She gave me some good advice. Whatever the kids say, don't take it personally. It's hard to accept that all the angry words coming out of their mouths isn't personal, but they really are too young to come to grips with accepting their own responsibility in what they do. Heck, even the X-husband had problems with that and he said some really hateful things to me which were really not about me at all. :hug: I hope the venting helped you. I sure find benefit from it and appreciate when I can go somewhere, like here, to get some support without so much judgement.

I'm still struggling with losing weight. I had great blood sugar numbers for the last three days. I even got to wisely eat some whole grains yesterday and they didn't do evil things to my readings. But I just can't cut back on portions. Tomorrow is my follow-up with the doctor. I'll let you know what transpires.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Butterfly50
04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks Trish , Rie , geoblewis I know this is trying times here and Thanks to everyone for letting me vent.

Trish I know what you are saying I have told my Daughter that she is 17 and if something happens and she is arrested she will stay their I wont help her I have already gotten herself out of two situations one was jest community service and the other we had to pay to get her out she is on her won. I have told my son the same thing he has gotten into trouble and went to jail for two month cause I couldnt afford to post bail. They have to grow up sometimes.

Rie She knows but she don't care I tell her all the time that I am not responsible and even her therapist told her but she don't care it is much easier for her to blame me then to say its her fault.

Geoblewis I know what you are saying too. But the things they say hurt so much when they say them it is hard to forget that they said it .

Looks like the trip maybe cancelled cause they wont give the baby her meds like they should and she isn't feeling well still and we were to leave on Monday. I have been told several times by the aunt we probley wont be going so will have to wait and see.

cbmare
04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Hello. Its been forever.

I've got to get back onto this entire board. I took a break because I felt I was spending too much time on the web. Well, to anti-heaven with that notion. I need you people.

I haven't lost any weight. I'm keeping my calories low and seldom hit the 145 gm of carbs for a day. In fact, if I look at my FitDay avg for the month, I'm normally under 100. It isn't a challenge. I just don't want anymore than I'm eating. With my A Fib, I can't exercise. I hate walking. My feet hurt because of the plantar F. Enough witching with a "b".

I changed meters. I like the pokey thing from the One Touch and will probably go back to that when I finish the lancets with this Freestyle meter. I haven't gotten any errors with the Freestyle. It takes a mere pin head size amt of blood. I had the One Touch set on artery severing to get enough blood for that monster meter. I hated it. Besides, the test strips were $75 for 100 strips! That's after insurance. This new one is $15. What a racket!

My FBS this AM was 112. That is a bit high but not like it was just 1 1/2 months ago.

Have any of you found that eating leafy greens really helps stop spikes?

pattygirl63
04-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Mare - Welcome back. It does help to have support to do what we know we must do. I guess it helps to see what others are doing and how it is working for them.

Rie - Glad to have you back. I've been missing you.

Bonnie - I forgot to tell you that although our kids put us through a lot, I think it is because they are dealing with a lot too. As for the oldest son I don't hear from any more, he used to call me all the time before he married this last girl. The last time I heard from him it was Mother's day about 7 or 8 years ago and she caught him sneaking. He had sneaked out to call me. I told him that he needed to try to save his marriage and if that meant he couldn't call me that I understand. Told him that I know he loves me and always will and I love him too. This is his 3rd marriage and he is working at getting his kids back into a relationship with him. I know he would call if he could.

Georgia Hi:wave:

fatmad
04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Bonnie: a couple of years ago I almost rented an apartment to move my daughter into, it was so bad between us. It took a lot of work from both of us to improve things. Now that she is at university it is really good. But she is not moving home for the summer. The space is really a good thing.
I hope and pray things will get better for you and your daughter. I agree with our friends here that self care will help, so even if you can't go on your trip, treat yourself to something. It doesn't have to be expensive. But packing a lunch and going away for a day, eating in a park etc and just getting away from family stress might be a good way to do it. If you have an old friend or even DH to do that with might be good too.

THe mediation I had with my co-worker is having good effects. We all worked through a hiring procedure this week and came to good consensus on our first choice. And after our weekly group meeting she and I had a good private session going over some concerns and it was fine and felt good. So we are on a better footing at least, and that is good for everyone. But when it was stressful, it was bad.

Everyone thinks I am looking better, and although the weight is dropping and I am more fit than I have been in years, I also think the stress reduction is helping. I still can't go off the allergy meds, if I miss a dose the hives are back, but at least i FEEL better.

So my only advice is for folks to keep doing the work, mentally, physically and emotionally to take good care of themselves, since the diet is only part of it.
:hug:

fatmad
04-12-2012, 10:13 PM
FBG was 112 this morning. Loving these numbers!

I'm still struggling with losing weight. I had great blood sugar numbers for the last three days. I even got to wisely eat some whole grains yesterday and they didn't do evil things to my readings. But I just can't cut back on portions. Tomorrow is my follow-up with the doctor. I'll let you know what transpires.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Georgia: I wonder if a switch to atkins for a while would help. You have lost a lot already, and it might help kick start you again, and it is very good for blood sugars too. You don't have to worry about portions, but the hard part is getting used to increasing the fat in your diet, since it doesn't work with low fat! (and yes, it is hard to get used to it!)
Even though I have switched to ww for now, it really helped me to get my sugars into good control, and I do ww much differently now, with very reduced carbs
just my 2 cents worth!

geoblewis
04-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Madeleine, I appreciate your two cents. I've done Atkins before and it really did help me to lose weight, as long as I stuck to induction levels of carbs. Today I ate a net of 53 carbs. I'm trying to get consistently closer to the Atkins induction level and I start the day off pretty well, but then closer to the afternoon, my appetite gets the better of me.

I eat a lot of vegetables, but I do indulge in a serving of very high fiber bread or tortilla. I find it actually helps my digestion more. I make a big effort to keep net carbs below 60 gm. Sometimes I get down to 25 gm, but that means I eat too much protein. The added protein always makes my bg rise too high. So does extra fat. I can't seem to get the right balance that's creates the magic bg levels.

Well, except that tonight, I ate a dinner of 735 calories. And afterward, at one, two and three hours, my bg level hovered around 105. I really think the small glass of wine is doing that. I think for snack I'm going to have celery and French goat cheese.

Mare, I recall seeing you on the boards. Welcome back! You asked about a positive effect of eating greens on bg spikes. I don't have an answer, but I eat greens every day. I LOVE them! Just had chard with my lamb chops for dinner and am really wishing I cooked more!

Over the last couple months my fbg has gone from a high in the 180s to a steady level in the mid 110s. I am really happy with that! But not going to settle for it. My next goal is to get it consistently under 100. I know it's only going to happen with a bigger cut in carbs and evening meal portions. Second to that, I want to lose 15 lbs in the next 7 weeks before my summer trip. Theoretically it's possible, but I've not lost weight at that rate since I first started on this weight loss trek five years ago. It means I have to cut calories more as well as keep a lid on the carbs. I have to be focused to achieve that. You may be hearing from me a lot as I'm trying to work through my cravings and weak moments!

Riemontana
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Hello friends

fbs at 75 today. I woke very early with upper left abdominal pain and it is still pretty bad. If it doesn't abate soon, I will go in...:?:

I have been interested in the discussions about carb levels. As I lost weight and my bs came under control, I was able to increase high fiber carbs. I currently eat about 100 carbs per day. My weight loss has stalled, so maybe I need to re-evaluate that.

Mare, welcome back. I am a strong believer in this forum for support and guidance. It keeps me on track. Glad to hear that your bs control is good.

Mad, I am so happy to hear about your mediation results. That is wonderful. Work is stressful enough without added pressures.

Bonnie, hows it going? I was thinking about you this morning as I scanned the posts. You may know, that I work with delinquent and troubled kids. I always tell parents this: "you have no idea how bad I was! I am always surprised that my parents still like me!" That is the truth. Hang in there.

Ruth, how's it going at the gym? I hope you are doing well.

Trish, I totally agree with you that sometimes kids are going through stuff that is really hard. It doesn't excuse the hurt they put on others, but it isn't necessarily out of mean spiritedness.

Ok, just not feeling well. Gotta go rest.

Rie

geoblewis
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM
So, yesterday was a lower carb day for me, I didn't eat a lot of carbs at dinner, but my protein was kinda high. I quit eating by 7, went to bed by 10:30. Took my Janumet at bedtime and my bg was 106.

This morning, fbg was 127! I ate just two eggs scrambled in a very scant amount of fat, calories 155, no carbs. Two hours after breakfast bg was 136.

Oh, and I gained three pounds since yesterday. And had gained two the day before.

I really am confused. I just want to go EAT without stress or having to overthink things!!!!

I'm seeing my doctor today. I really felt just fine before taking meds and was controlling my diet, plus exercising. When I'm eating and medicating to control blood sugar, I don't seem to be doing very well at all.

I wish there was someplace I could go to get my body all figured out.

cbmare
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
GM E1. I must have had sweet dreams last night. My reading was 98 2 hrs after dinner and 112 this AM. Don't know what I did over night to run it up. Oh well.

I took my reading before dinner and it was 68. I knew I was tired but I attributed that to the boring work I did yesterday afternoon. I decided to have a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. We have some very nice cheese. There were just a few small chunks of it left from my last trip to Whole Foods. Yes, I went there. They have a great cheese section and will let me taste them before buying and I can get small quantities. Anyway, I grated them all together. I took 2 oz and sprinkled it over some bread that I'd pan toasted in Smart Balance. That and a salad with Light Champagne Vinaigrette was very tasty and didn't spike me.

Georgia, I, too love greens. In fact, I've been loving the farmer's markets around here right now. We are getting some really nice ones coming in now. I think you are on the coast around here, right? You should have some nices ones over there. The artichokes are frost damaged but they still taste good. I'm loving those as well. I've found that my numbers are higher if I don't have greens. I proved that by having the same dinner 2 nights in a row and my numbers before dinner were within 1 or 2 digits. Afterwards, almost 80 points different without the greens and only about 10 or 15 with them.

Let's see what today brings.

cbmare
04-13-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't want to eat 145 gm of carbs per day. I'm not going back to the classes. Not only do I have to pay $45 per class, there is an additional $5 food charge and I don't like what they prepare. I won't eat most of it.

They were insistent that we follow the new plate thing from the FDA. 1/2 greens, no problem for me, 1/4 protein, again, no problem and 1/4 carbs.

I don't necessarily want the carbs in every meal. I can't believe some people had trouble getting their carb levels down to 145 for women and 165 for men. What are they eating? Oh, nevermind. When we told what we had for lunch, I was chastised for having a shrimp louie and no bread or other carbs. The guy who had a whopper, milkshake and fries was merely told to cut out the milkshake to bring the calorie count down to start his weight loss.

Besides, every class had the same lectures. Eat carbs - we don't have to do without them. I really wanted to learn more about which foods and combinations of foods would make my numbers spike and which ones play nicely together. I guess I'll keep finding out on my own.

cbmare
04-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Bonnie, I'm sorry to hear about your trip. That is too bad. Are there any other chickies on here that live near you? If so, you might want to get to know them personally. It does help. I have someone from here that has become a good friend. In fact, she is moving to a larger place in a few weeks. She has set aside 1 of the bedrooms to become her sewing room and she is getting back into this addiction otherwise known as quilting. I'll be helping her set it up.

I count on her friendship and it is all because of 3FC.

The only caution I make is to meet in public for the first time or two. You'll know within 2 or 3 lunches if this is a friendship you want to continue.

Good luck.

pattygirl63
04-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Didn't feel good when I went to bed. Had bad cough for 2 days. DSIL was off today so I took Nyquil when I went to bed and took it again when I started coughing during the night. I think it set me off because my eating has been really crazy but today, but I did keep them within WWP+. Couldn't seem to get satisfied today when I ate. I was going to take it again tonight, but I'm afraid to as I might lose complete control of my eating. So I guess I will just ride it out.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Riemontana
04-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Trish,

Try theraflu instead of nyquil. It has the same effect but Nyquil sends my bs soaring...

Feel better

geoblewis
04-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Just checking before the weekend. Tomorrow is spa day for me. Getting hair, nails and makeup done, just because I want to. No place special to go, except get my new passport pics done.

I went to the doctor today. Here's my results:

Today's blood pressure was 126/69. :carrot:
HDL - 41, LDL-101 One has to go up 19 points, the other has to come down at least 11 points.
Triglycerides - 83
A1c - 6.08% That one hardly budged at all. Which is good since I was very afraid it had gone up. Four years ago it was at 6.1%
TSH - 2.96 My doctor said that's in the normal range for thyroid function, but I've been reading that 3 was the new upper limit and that probably 2.5 is closer to a normal reading. I have to talk to her a bit more about that one.
My vit D levels were too low. I definitely need to supplement.

There were some things that indicated that my liver and kidneys aren't as healthy as they could be.

We talked about how I'm feeling on my medication. Since being on metformin and janumet, I haven't been able to exercise like I once was and neither of us is happy with that.The wooziness really is debilitating at times. So as of tonight, I'm off those meds and she's just putting me on the januvia, a lower dose of 50 once a day. I really need to keep an eye on how I'm feeling and to insist we take regualr blood tests while I'm on that because it can affect the kidneys adversely.

In the meantime, I'm going totally Atkins induction phase until further notice, and I'm going to eat as many vegetables as I can squeeze into those 20 gm of carbs a day. The greens are what will help my kidneys and liver the most. Lots of water, and vitamins/minerals/fish oils and the like.

I indulged in carbs at dinner. Not wicked bad ones, but a bit more than I usually eat. I'm "testing" sprouted wheat spaghetti with sauce and cheese. Meh...it didn't taste as good as I wanted it to taste. I overate. Three hours after that meal bg was 158.

So, I'm not at death's door, I'm not a full-blown diabetic. But I have type 2 diabetes issues that continue and I have to stay on top of things. I'll be testing a lot this coming week to see how the januvia is working and then I have to call my doctor to report before we decide which direction I should go next.

Hmph, I dreading my morning numbers!

Ruthxxx
04-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Had a "Duh" moment yesterday. I got up at the usual time and did my usual routine with coffee and the dogs and FORGOT to have breakfast. I didn't realize that until ten minutes on the treadmill at the gym when I began to feel really rotten. My PT rescued me with some cheese and crackers plus Jello but I now know how important breakfast is. I may start assembling my a.m. shake the night before and keep it in the fridge to zap in the morning.

Time for breakfast RIGHT NOW!

izzycracker
04-14-2012, 06:59 AM
My fasting blood sugar was 85 this morning. Yay!!!!

Riemontana
04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Good morning!

fbs at 83 this morning and my weight is down a fraction of a pound. I did well with eating yesterday but I didn't work out because I don't feel well. That is kind of a downer.

Georgia, your spa day sounds lovely. Congrats on your dr appointment. I hope you feel better with the medication change.

Ruth, :hug: I am glad that your trainer was able to help you out with a snack. I like to eat after I work out but if I am in the 70's I have a snack first. Take care of you.

Yay Izzy! :cool:

Mare, how nice that you have found a friend on here. It is probably a little harder for those of us who live in less populated areas. Like you, I hope that Bonnie can find and outlet

Bonnie, :hug:

Trish, hope you are feeling better.

Mad, chipper and everyone else.... have a great day!

Ruthxxx
04-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Had a really decent breakfast this morning of fruit, ww English muffin with peanut butter and now do not feel one bit hungry for lunch. :( Maybe I will by 1 PM.

pattygirl63
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Rie - Thanks so much for reminding me of the Theraflu. I took it before I went to bed and slept better than I have in a long time. I do feel better. Still have the cough so told the kids that I don't plan to go to church tomorrow because I am going to take it again tonight and for some reason it makes me sleep. I didn't get up until after 10am... very rare for me.

I'll try to get back later for individuals.

fatmad
04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi gang: have been busy with work, (and sleep when not working) so have been MIA for a couple of days. BS ok, but I over-indulged in carbs yesterday with all the busy-ness. I realized when I was putting it all into my tracker that not only did I have a lot of carbs, I didn't get my servings of veggies and fruit in. making up for that today, have most of those servings in already after lunch, and am track for a normal points day today.
BIG sorta NSV: my scale also has a body fat indicator on it, I check it about once a week. When I start this journey I was at 35%, and have slowly been coming down. The last couple of weeks was 32, then 31 last week. This week I saw 30% FOR THE FIRST TIME. :carrot: Its another nice indicator that I am doing ok, and things are getting better, inside as well as out!

it is nice to hear from everyone, and mare and izzy, welcome and keep coming back.

Ruthxxx
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Weight is finally down a pound - one more until my ticker is truthful. Despite that and the fact that my FBGL has been fine, I'm feeling draggy and this is NOT a good week for that as I am waaaaay overbooked. I must focus on eating properly (and regularly) and getting enough rest if I'm to make it through the weekend. (It's Maple Syrup Festival Weekend and, between the Mill, the Fair Board and Pet Therapy, I have a full agenda.) I skipped Church this morning to map out the week's plans and menus - now to stick to it.

Riemontana
04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 80 this morning and my weight is still ticking down slowly to a truthful ticker. The pain in my side has been in my ribs all weekend and I have been unable to work out. I can barely move:( It seems to be improving.

Ruth, I hope that the draggies don't get you down this week. It sounds like you have a busy one in front of you.

Mad, hoping that there are lots of healthy babies and healthy mommas this week if you are working lots. Good for you on recognizing that you were a little off and getting back on track.

Trish, I hope you feel better. That theraflu knocks me out every time. It won't raise your bs, either.

Mare, Izzy, Georgia and everyone else.... Have a restful Sunday!

Rie

pattygirl63
04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
A quick on this morning. That Theraflu knock me out and I am draggy today, but it seems to be drying up the cough so that is good. So sorry I had to miss church, but didn't want to go and sit there and disturb the service with my coughing. Strange but when I don't go no one goes.:?: It does make me sleep really good. The thing I hate the most is that the Nyquil seems to have brought back the 5 lbs I lost so I sure hope I can get that back down quickly. I'm going to be doing some Atkin's Induction or at least a lower carb to get me back on track.

Georgia - I think I saw you are doing Atkins too. Going low carb does help get the cravings under control and that is what I need right now. I never have binges but have been having a problem with them since I've been sick.

I think I saw a couple of newbies yesterday. Sorry if I missed you but I do :welcome3: each and everyone of you.

Ruthie - Hope you get your busy schedule working for you and glad your scale is moving down again.

Mad, Rie, Bonnie, Chipper, Izzy, Mare and everyone else:wave:

geoblewis
04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes Trish, cravings control is what I need! I fell into a pizza yesterday afternoon (skinny crust and veggies, but still ate too much!) and this morning, first day of Atkins, and I am starving after I had a breakfast of eggs + whites, cheese and half an avocado. Plus, since I've started the process of cutting out coffee (coffee keeps my blood pressure up, darn it!), I woke up to a raging headache too.

FBG was up to 133 this morning. Hmph! I am anxious to see how low fbg can go when I'm strictly on Atkins induction phase.

I have to go pick up my Januvia prescription today. And some kale! Haven't had any all week and I'm missing it. Got chard and spinach for the last two weeks in my CSA vegetable crate and I've been enjoying that. And some gorgeous lettuces. One more head of butterleaf lettuce, so I think I'll make some gai larb (ground turkey seasoned with Asian basil, lime and chilies) and serve it in lettuce cups. I need some fish too. I recently bought some wild Dover sole at Costco and made Sole Amandine, but it smelled funny. I wish wild salmon season would hurry up! Any day now!

Rie, I am so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I am concerned that this pain is so debilitating. Are you going to the doctor for this? Hope you feel better very soon!

Mad, I like the bodyfat numbers! It's the one that counts! Way to go!

I had a great spa day yesterday. Bought some Bare Minerals products. Came home with make up on and my sons didn't know how to react because I usually don't wear any. My oldest made faces (he doesn't like it when women wear cosmetics and his girlfriend doesn't) and my youngest was quite snuggly and affectionate all afternoon and evening...without asking me for anything! I think I can live with my oldest son's faces if I'm going to get more snuggling from the younger son!

Have a great Sunday!

Wannabehealthy
04-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Today on the public television channel there is a 2 hour show about Diabetes. Since I never went to any classes when I was diagnosed I will be very interested in seeing what this is all about. I hope can come away from this with more knowledge about the disease. It is conducted by a Dr Mark Hyman. I think it focuses on obesity.

geoblewis
04-15-2012, 01:52 PM
I saw that one, Carol. He promotes avoiding all processed foods and eating high quality fresh organics. I can't argue with that because it's what I want to be doing all the time.

It's good to watch shows like this in order to get more knowledge. It's hard for the average American to eat like this though. Not everyone has access to this sort of food, it can be more expensive if you can't grow your own vegetables, and processed food is so much cheaper and more available. Unfortunately, that's what we've all grown up with and many just don't want to give up that stuff and make the change. Change is hard, even if your life is on the line.

fatmad
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
RIe: sure hope you feel better soon. Is it muscle that might be helped with massage or a chiropractor or voltaren? Or something else that you need a doctor for? (Right side? any chance its gallstones?)
Not sure if I am not counting points improperly or if I am holding water, but weight is up a couple of pounds inspite of an active week (yoga again today) and staying under my points. ( I still have 19 weeklies left) SO hope it moves out soon.
Georgia: (and others) don't only use the fbs as a guide to how well you are doing. Remember from blood sugar 101, the liver will make new glucose from any kind of fuel (protein and fat even if necessary) and will release it, dumping especially at night. The metformin helps to keep it in check, but I was never able to get my fbs down below 5 on atkins, and that is not unusual. However, all day long, my blood sugars were within normal range, with virtually no spikes, and that is incredibly important in the long run.
(the reason I do relatively low carb with ww) SO Georgia, if you are managing low carb well, you will see your sugars very steady all day, (except perhaps briefly up after exercise) but your fbs may not get very low.
HOpe everyone has a nice Sunday evening.

geoblewis
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Woke up to fbg of 103! So, first day on Atkins and I'm getting good results for bg levels. All day yesterday my numbers were below 115 two hours after meals.

I made myself only test two hours after meals. It was hard not to test sooner. It had already become a compulsion! I had to find things to do to get my mind off testing. Managed to get a lot of house work done! Hoping today is easier.

Mad, thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. I really appreciate it. Helps me to chill a bit more about this whole diabetes thing!

Today I'm off to restock the fridge. I'm out of vegetables! :eek:

pattygirl63
04-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I am happy to say that I am feeling better this morning. Still will take Theraflu until all coughing and symptoms are gone. Evidently it doesn't cause the problems that Nyquil did so I will definitely always keep some of it on hand.

I am also thrilled to say that ticker is almost true again. I say almost because it looks like I've lost another lb, but I won't change it yet. WI is Wednesday so will change it then if the lb is still gone. Haven't checked fbg as I don't check it until around 1 just before I eat. DH has to go get blood drawn around 1:40 so we won't eat until around 2:15 or so. I'm back on my Intermittent Fasting and it obviously works. I stopped my online membership of WW. I just can't afford it right now and I have the materials any way. I think I need to relax and just enjoy doing IF and not be so obsessive with food. I'm thinking about it too much. Trying to do IF with my old Carbohydrate Addict's Diet with some of the Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Plan options. This way I get the benefits of IF and the balanced eating of CAD/CALP. I like eating a Reward Meal which is a balanced meal where I get to eat my starchy carby food and then my other meal(s) or snacks called Complimentary Meal/Snacks are low carb, no starchy carby foods. This way I don't feel like I'm dieting because this is a lifesty and I will be losing weight and getting healthy at the same time. What I like about The last time I successfully lost 70+ lbs, I did it this way... just doing CAD eating the way I have now learned is called Intermittent Fasting but I didn't know about IF at that time. I was getting healthier, but I treated it as a diet because I had a goal and when I reached the goal, I stopped and gained the weight back. Now I can look at it as a way of life rather than a diet and hopefully I will eventually reach my normal weight. Not sure what that is at this age, but I will be happy with it whatever it is.

Georgia - So glad your bg is doing so well. Evidently Atkins agrees with you.

Ruthie - Glad your scale is moving again.

Mad - We do appreciate the knowledge you always share with us.

Rie - Hope you are feeling better. Have you gone to the doctor yet?

Bonnie - Sure hope things are better at your house and that you are taking care of Bonnie.

slmn11, Chipper, Izzy, Mare and others :wave:

Y'all have a great Monday.

Riemontana
04-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Hello friends!

fbs up a little at 90 this morning. I had a restless night. I am still a little sore but I did 70 minutes of walkitout this morning.

I am still interested in the discussions about carb levels. Early after my diagnosis, I desperately tried to limit carbs as low as possible. I found myself with fasting levels in the low 120's to 130's. when my doctor explained how the liver would dump in the middle of the night, I finally accepted the challenge to find the appropriate levels. My fbs is rarely above 85. I typically test before each meal and before bed, always 75 - 85. Everyone has to find their own body's strengths here. It would be so nice if there was rules: "eat this and you will have low sugars for life". But alas....

Mad, plateau's are really frustrating.:( I have started to believe that my body just wants to protect me and is fighting. Sooner or later, I will win the war, right? :hug: My pain is in my upper left side and chest. I think it might be an inflamation of the ribs? I seem to get some relief from ibuprofen and it is improving. I guess if it was serious, it wouldn't have gone on so long...

Georgia, good numbers and good luck with the coffee. I wasn't aware that black coffee can raise bs or bp too much. I'm not sure that I want to give it up!

Trish, hope you have knocked that cold in the dust!

Carol, I saw that show and it is good. I am sometimes concerned because the "organic" produce thing is kind of a red hering - if you ask me. I eat local food and grow what I can, but I would rather eat an apple every day than scrimp on fruits and veggies so I can grow "organic". Of course, I grew up as a farmer so my view is different....

Ruth, here's to you doing well with your busy week! I would like to hear more about the maple festival. What is it?

Off to work. Have a great day!

Rie

cbmare
04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Well, my numbers have been going all over the place. I was 123 FBS yesterday and 95 before dinner. Went up to 159 before bed. Was 120 this AM.

We'll see how I do today with some homemade deviled ham, 1 sl whole wheat bread and an artichoke for lunch. It will be a piece of chicken thigh and some wonderful kale from the farmer's market for dinner tonight.

We try and menu plan around dinner since that is the 1 meal we share. I think I really need to spend some time and plan my lunches as well. As it is, I usually bring some leftovers but except for the deviled ham, we haven't had any.

Here's to a fast and not to complicated work week for all of us.

Jane
04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi, is it okay if I join in? I already know a few of the posters here.

I am considered pre-diabetic but hadn't been taking it very seriously, until my husband, Neal, was recently diagnosed with the same thing. Now that his health is on the line, I've made changes in what, and how, I cook, and I feel in a better place, mentally, to get my blood sugar under control. I don't know if it's because it's easier to do the right thing with a partner, or what, but this seems easier now. He gets plenty of exercise, and although I am limited in mobility, I'm still trying to move more.

Having a place to check in would be nice. :)

fatmad
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome Jane, very happy to have you join us.
Rie: what eating plan are you doing? Maybe a change would help. I was doing atkins, and sugars were good, but after the initial weight loss, I couln't budge it. I got tired of the restrictive plan when I wasn't getting the reward of weight loss. So I have switched to ww. I am keeping to lower carb options, eating lots of veggies. The starches I eat, I am keeping "smart", whole grains if I eat grains, small servings, low glycemic choices whenever possible. Its really just a fancy way of calorie counting, and I am also higher fat than many others, (yes, I count the points!) but it is working for me. SO I hope you can find a way out of your plateau too. BUT first, you have to start feeling better. Do get some help if needed for your sore side!
Off call, in office week for me, so I got to yoga after work today. Making plans for the rest of the week too. Walking or yoga every day if I can.
Mare, keep up with the meds and clean eating and the numbers will get better with time, take heart.
Trish: thats great that you have dropped that water weight. Hope the weigh in goes well. I seem to be stable this week, no new losses. BUt I will take that for now.

Have a happy Monday!

pattygirl63
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Jane - :welcome3: to the group. You have been on my mind so much lately and kept thinking things would slow down so I could call you. Please feel free to jump right in and ask any questions you have. This is a great support group. So sorry to hear that you and Neal are pre-diabetic, but it is very possible to get the blood sugar under control and I agree that doing it with a partner helps. Tony and I have both been diagnosed with diabetes and although my fasting blood sugar goes all oveer the place, the last few times we've been in for 3 month stick, our sugar levels are good. Our doctor is pleased with where we are. Just don't let it scare you. Y'all will do fine.

pattygirl63
04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Good Morning Chickies

I was awake around 3 this morning and never did go back to sleep. DSIL is working today so had to get up any way to take care of the baby today. He worked yesterday as well, so hope he will be able to work most of the week any way. I really like the structure of my day when he works and I think Jaxxon enjoys it as well. I have on a good schedule during the week. He will be 2 yrs old tomorrow and is beginning to learn so much.

DH is doing so much better now. He told me when he came to bed this morning not to cook until after he mows the lawn. Last night he talked to me about how he needs to start doing more things now that he is feeling better. We all knew he was better, but I think he was wondering how long it would last. I feel like I got my husband back and I'm so thankful.

Hope everyone is doing good this morning and y'all have a great day.

cbmare
04-17-2012, 01:35 PM
GM E1

I must have had sweet dreams last night. My reading after dinner last night was 96 and FBS this AM was 108.

My boss is having some corrective surgery on his cornea transplant this morning so I get to work from home. My slippers are so comfy and I will manage to get a mani/pedi this afternoon as well as a long overdue haircut. This work will be a couple of hours today and again tomorrow. I'm researching what we may have to do in the future if our application for a grant from the DOE is approved in a few months.

You know what? I'm beginning to be convinced that my body really loves greens because my reading went down after dinner. It was 120 yesterday morning and 104 before dinner then dropped to 96 afterwards. I had commented on that before. Now I'm really starting to think that it is working. Well, at least for the present.

Jane, it IS much easier with a partner. For years I complained that boobalah was nonsupportive. He got embarrassed when we were at a family gathering and someone asked me about my weight loss and I commented that I didn't get support at home. He justified his behavior by saying I'd become a picky eater. They laughed at him because everyone of them were doing the same new eating plan between themselves and BOTH of the couples were losing weight. He was the only one not losing. Oh, my picky eating? I cut way back on fat and told him I was no longer going to be eating all the carbs and crap just to keep his little boy reactions at bay. It was only for my life. I was pre-diabetic then but I got tired of his tantrums and gave in. Now I regret it and he can see what has happened.

He is now working at changing his eating habits. I wish you well and Neal well.

Ruthxxx
04-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi darling Jane! Didn't realize you and The Neal were sugar babies too. You'll do well - gotta watch the watermelon though.

Bless me, sisters, for I have sinned. I was in town to get my new car this morning and ended up at the Chinese Buffet with the salesman. He paid but it was my suggestion. However, I did confine myself to a single pass at the buffet and worked hard at choosing veggies and non-sugary sauces. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I am expecting a water weight gain.

It's nice to see so many folks posting.

pattygirl63
04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Ruthie - Bless your heart. I can only say that I wish I had been with you. I love chinese food.:dizzy: Hope you get surprise with the scale tomorrow. :hug:

Jane
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the nice welcome. :)

Trish - I'm glad you and Tony have good sugar levels now, and even more happy that he's feeling so much better. Call anytime. It's been a long while since we had a good chat.

cbmare - thank you for the well-wishes. Kudos for you - doing what's right for your own body and life. I'm glad your "boobalah" is changing his habits, too.

Ruth - hi, sweetie! I've been pre-diabetic for a several months, but have had my head in the sand about it. Then Neal was recently diagnosed, too, so it seemed time to hit the problem head-on. A big YAY for the new car! If you do show some water weight, it will flush out soon.

I spent the day out of town shopping with my daughters, and was very proud of my healthy choice for lunch. I had grilled chicken on a green salad and went light-handed with the dressing.

One of my biggest challenges is going to be our family dinners. Everyone is on board with healthy eating options, and I intend to revamp some of the old family favorites.

Have a good Wednesday, and again, thanks for the kind welcome.

fatmad
04-18-2012, 08:07 AM
quick fly by, fbs 4.9 today, but am a pound up from this time last week. According to my tracker, I have as many activity points as weekly flex points. I didn't use all the flex points either. I may have undercounted points, or have been retaining water, not sure which. But its weigh in tonight. Will see how THAT goes. will be at yoga again before the ww meeting, that will be 4 days in a row!

Riemontana
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
A quick hello....

fbs at 81 this morning. I am feeling a little better. I did a post yesterday but I must have pushed the wrong button because it isn't here. :?:

Mad, I have approached this without a specific type of plan - just made changes in my eating and activity. I have been absolutely committed to only implementing changes that I will maintain over time. I track calories, basic macros and carbs. I think I have just reached a maintenance level and this is going to take even more activity and a lot of time. My dr says, "it took a year to lose the first 80 and it will take another year to lose the next 20". That is probably reasonable. On a positive note, I certainly can maintain my weight and don't really need to worry about gaining it back. ;)

Jane, I am so glad to see you here! I know you from the Golden Girls. Jump right in - there is great advice here.

Trish, how was your day yesterday with the little guy?

Mare, I think your blood sugars are certainly improving. It takes time for them to settle in with lots of consistently. The numbers you quoted are certainly heading in the right direction.... Hang in there. :hug:

Ruth, I spent some time yesterday talking about my love of chinese buffets. Lord, I miss them a lot. I hope you enjoyed and the scale doesn't get too bad. Lots of water, dear.

Well, off to work early today. Sorry for missing anyone.

Rie

pattygirl63
04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
A quick flyby. DSIL is off today and I'm going to run to Wally World and walk around. Need to get some more Theraflu. I'm fine during the day and then last night my throat was sore. Better this morning. It's more down in the neck rather than in my tonsils so I'm thinking it is irritated from all the coughing.

Rie - I really enjoyed being with the little one. In fact, the girls especially the younger one has been hanging out with her DGD and me a lot watching movies with DH and me. We did that with her when she was little.

Well, I was so excited that I had lost back down to 227 this morning, however, when I went to post it on the ticker, I find I've actually gained 4 lbs this week. I assume a lot of it has been the meds and eating helter skelterly.:?: I think I may have to do some really strict low carbing to get myself straightened out. I had gained to over 230 lbs with the Nyquil, but didn't realize I had gained almost 10 lbs. So while I'm grateful for losing some of the weight, I see I have to get serious and be more diligent. I'm going to try to go all day without eating since a very carby birthday dinner of pizza is planned for DGD and DGS.

BBL

Ruthxxx
04-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I wimped out and did not get on the scale this morning but BGL was in my normal range. Did go to the gym which was harder today for some reason - maybe water weight? I have a Greek salad planned for lunch which is not a great choice because of the salt in the feta and olives. :shrug: Oh well - we do our best and getting in my veggies and protein is more important than fretting about salt. I need to drink more water though. I sure don't get 64 oz. which I know helps knock off the water weight. (BP was an excellent 109/68 after my workout this morning so the med change has balanced that out.)

Bake sale cooking marathon is going to begin this afternoon. SF gum and surgical gloves are waiting for me!

cbmare
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Well! My reading before supper was 84. It was 123 afterward. This morning my FBS was 118.

I know I'm not going to do my errands this AM. My water pill is working overtime and I hate using the restrooms in many of the stores.

I'm on my own for supper tonight because boobalah has a class.

I've got to watch my calorie intake. I was doing my Fitday the other day and thought that I was around 1200. No wonder I was tired. I had between 800 & 900 cals. I don't care if I'm over or below 1200 if it is within 100 or so cals. 300 - 400 is a no no in my book. Funny though. My numbers weren't down.

I recently went to HomeTown Buffet. I was so disappointed. Seems the only real choices for veggies is the salad bar. I asked why they don't have more veggies instead of carbs in the hot food line. That guy actually had the nerve to try and tell me that mac and cheese were a veggie combo. OK. News to me. I grow some of our veggies and herbs. I have to look for that macaroni tree or is it a plant like a tomato? Cows eat a vegetarian diet and I know many vegetarians eat cheese so I guess you can count it that way. LOL.

Ruth, I wish we had a Chinese buffet around here. However, like you, the sauces would be the problem.

Trish, feel better. You seem to be improving. I keep losing and finding the same 2 lbs. I lost them again this morning. We'll see if I can permanently lose them by the end of this week.

Well, off to greet the day and do some laundry this AM.

pattygirl63
04-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Back from Walmart. Didn't get to walk quite as long as I wanted because the new speech therapist was coming and DSIL and I decided that I needed to be here to meet her since I'm the one who will be here when he isn't. I wanted to get a BD cake for Haley and Jaxxon and didn't want a big one since only the children will eat it. Richard said he wasn't going to eat any, DH won't and I know I'm not eating cake after having homemade pizza. I need to be buying those cakes at Walmart as they cost a lot less than the grocery store where I usual buy them. Any way picked up the cake with the kids names on it and was surprised that Walmart had 2 meds equivalent to Theraflu... a day time one and a night time. So got one of each and came home and took a dose of the daytime. Haven't checked bs lately because of the meds I've been taking. Actually there were days that I forgot. Since were having carby dinner for the kids, I'm making today's eating more of a Carbohydrate Addicts Reward Meal and have only low carb the rest of the day along with my Intermittent Fasting. (I read that a guy who recommends Intermittent Fasting has changed the name now because people have such a problem with fasting. He now calls it Intermittent Feeding.) Any way, I'm still using IF whatever you call it, but I think until I get over this illness and I get the eating back under control that I will start eating low carb. I just can't let this eating get out of control again. Don't really feel like eating or cooking right now.

Jane - Good job at making good choices when shopping with the girls. I understand about family meals. We don't have family meals together too often even with the kids living with us right now. But when we do have a meal together it usually isn't diet/weight loss friendly. The kids would love for me to eat with them every time they have their family meal, but I just can't eat all that pasta.

Ruth - I agree with the others. I'm sure any gain you may have experienced will be flushed out with your water drinking.

Bonnie, Chipper, Mad and all the others I missed :hug: and thoughts coming your way.

Hope everyone is have a great Wednesday.

geoblewis
04-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey girls. Sorry to not have kept up for a few days. My doctor has taken me off anything with metformin in it and I'm now only on Januvia, plus doing Atkins. Since that shift, my morning numbers have been staying under 115 and daytime numbers have been under 100.

I've had a couple carb indulgences over the last couple days but I immediately pumped weights or did some HIIT and it doesn't seem to have hurt my blood sugar at all. However, I'm definitely not losing weight with the Atkins yet. I think since I was eating fairly low carb before I won't see the big whoosh most see when they first cut carbs.

I'm still eating too many calories. For the week I've been hovering around 1860 calories and that's right about maintenance for me. The scale confirms that. So, cutting carbs is about controlling blood sugar and carb cravings, eating the right fats is about managing hunger. And cutting calories is about losing weight. Exercise helps with blood sugar levels.

Okay, back to work. Have a lovely day!

Jane
04-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi all,

Mad - a big yay for 4 straight days of yoga! I hope you have a loss at weigh-in today.

Rie - thank you for your kind words. I sure was happy to see that you post with this group. I always love reading your post at Age 50+.

Trish - one thing I do when pizza is on the menu for a special occasion is to have a big salad with it, and I try to not eat all the crust. These birthdays and holidays are sometimes hard to deal with.

Ruth - SF gum and surgical gloves are good choices for baking cookies.

Mare - hahaha!! You had me laughing out loud with your description of a macaroni tree!

Georgia - sounds like you've made a good switch with Januvia.

In addition to being prediabetic, I have high cholesterol, and I am trying to control it with diet along with Simvastatin (generic Zocor). So having to eat low sugar and low cholesterol both can be a challenge at times. I've become a careful label reader.

I've been using the Lose It! app on my iPhone, and absolutely love the options, convenience, and ease of that.

TTFN,

Ruthxxx
04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Well, I faced the scale this morning and it was not pretty. I may send my ticker to Coventry for a while since she likes to lie. Didn't drink much water yesterday but today that WILL happen. Sodium does such a number on me!

Didn't have the Greek salad yesterday for lunch as I ran out of time to make it so just had some cheese and sliced tomatoes and cukes on ryvita. I'll do the salad for lunch today. I did have a great supper - pork tenderloin and veggies on the BBQ which my wonderful neighbour "fixed" for me. I didn't use it all last season and it was strictly "operator error". I can hardly wait to do Beer Can Chicken.

Baking is about to get underway again this morning. No sampling happened. There really is no need to taste when you are using old tried and true recipes.

This weekend will be a challenge as it's Maple Syrup Festival. I am working at the Mill on Saturday which will not be a problem and will be cooking sausages and pancakes on Sunday. The good thing is that I'll be really sick of them by lunch time but there will be a lot of peer pressure to eat pancakes. I wish people would MYOB - I'm old enough to decide what to eat.

Have a happy Thursday and be nice to yourself.

fatmad
04-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Good Morning everyone:
I have been busy, but not so much with work. The work days have been kinda long, but we are learning a new database/billing system, (new fiscal year just started April 1) and I have been spending half the day on a computer, and I didn't come on line at home in the evenings. Just reading/watching tv, going to bed early instead.
fbs 5.2 today. I weighed in yesterday and was up a pound, I was not surprised, as the only time I was at the last weight was weigh in day and I was higher all week. But any way, I overate carbs after weigh in. I still havent faced putting it all in the tracker. But I need a kick and much get back on the wagon and eat right again.
Well friends, I have been reading, and am just catching up, will do personals another time. off to the office.

Riemontana
04-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Hello friends!

fbs at 82 this morning and my darn weight is still stable. Trying for patience here. Big week of training at work.

Mad.... per your request: :kickbutt: :rofl: I think they need to invent a smilie for scale throwing. Imagine how popular that would be!

Ruth, your supper sounds lovely. We grill everything that we can. I like the convenience of gas but my ds loves charcoal.

Jane, my dr tells me that bs control also helps with cholesterol numbers. Mine has come way down and I didn't need to start a statin. As you probably know, it also has a huge genetic component. A couple of my thin cousins have had high cholesterol since their early 30's.

Hi Georgia, why are you off the metformin? I had trouble with the combo pill but I do well on Januvia and metformin as meds. :?:

Mare, I love china buffets but I cannot tolerate those other kinds. It reminds me of "hogs at the trough". But, I am a farm girl. ;)

Trish, hope you feel better. I haven't been able to figure out how to eat pizza in moderation so I don't do it. It is hard because ordering pizza is often done at pool tournaments.

Well, gotta go!

Rie

cbmare
04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
I can hardly wait to do Beer Can Chicken.

The good thing is that I'll be really sick of them by lunch time but there will be a lot of peer pressure to eat pancakes. I wish people would MYOB - I'm old enough to decide what to eat.

I love beer can chicken. We have a Big Green Egg cooker. They have this contraption that is ceramic that you fill with a fluid. You park the chicken on it and let it cook away on the grill. Then it goes in the dishwasher. Much cleaner than the beer can. Love it!

I wish people would MYOB, too. Lucky for me. I don't like pancakes so I wouldn't have a problem passing by on those. HOWEVER, I love sausage and sausage dipped in maple syrup sounds yummy.

cbmare
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
When do you take your FBS? I get up and do the face washing moisturizer bathroom stuff and then I take my reading. I don't get dressed for work or spend time doing other stuff to get the blood flowing. Does it make a difference? If I don't do it right away, I forget about it.

It was 120 this morning and I found one of those blasted pounds that I'd successfully lost. I got distracted packing my lunch and I think I forgot to take my pills. So, no metformin, aspirin, water pill and other stupid heart meds. Oh well. At least I won't be having to pee every 15 minutes.

Jane
04-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

Mare - I do my morning fbs right after my bathroom stuff, before breakfast.

Rie - I have many relatives with both high cholesterol and diabetes. Had I kept off my weight when I lost so much several years ago, I probably wouldn't be in this shape (literally, lol) now. But I'm looking forward, not back, and I know I can do the right thing to make those numbers go down. Good luck with the training at work.

Do any of you have a protein/carbohydrate/fat percentage ratio that you try to stay within? The Lose It! app gives me the percentages, but I'm not sure what the ratio should be.

I bought hanging baskets of the most beautifully lush red impatiens today to hang by the front porch. The hummingbirds will love them.

TTFN!

cbmare
04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Hmm. Plants. I'm the kiss of death for plants. I can grow tomatoes, onions and peppers. That's about it.

My reading this morning was 120 and 92 when I got home from work. We'll see what it is after taco salad tonight.

Ruthxxx
04-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Quickie as this is going to be the most overbooked three days in my year! Meals will be on the fly and will be tricky. Luckily I am stocked up onyogurt and Laughing Cow cheese.

Jane, I try to keep my carbs/fat/pro at 1/1/1. When I cut carbs to much my readings are too low so Atkins isn't for me although I know it would budge some of that fluff that's grown tap roots. Despite the scale being stuck at 179, my BP is excellent, cholesterol is good and my HA1c is 5.8. My doc is delighted and I have been able to reduce the BP meds and the glyburide.

Sorry to dash out, chickies, but I'm off to the gym before I tackle the day.

Wannabehealthy
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Rie - I found the TV show interesting, but there wasn't a lot I hadn't heard before. I guess I know what I should be doing, but putting it in practice isn't as easy for me as it sounds. It was a plug to buy his whole program and I wouldn't put the money out for information that I can get free. I don't do organic. I figure I've lived to age 66 and it hasn't killed me yet. I do buy at farmers markets when I can, but that's only in the summer months.

Mare - DH is a carboholic. He is healthy and at a good weight. He insists that I can eat carbs like he does without a problem. I try to explain to him that it's my diabetes causing the problem with carbs, but he seems to think that if I ate carbs like he does I wouldn't be diabetic. He just doesn't get it and I have given up trying. I cook for him what he wants and I eat what I am supposed to eat and leave what I'm not supposed to eat. It works for us.

pattygirl63
04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Sorry this is a quick flyby, but this has been one busy week and today is no less busy. DSIL was off the last 2 days and I took advantage of it and got out of the house to do something I can't do or choose not to do with the baby. Went and got my nails done for one. The youngest DGD was in a school musical last night so we went to that so went to that. Now that DH is feeling so much better he went with us and now expects me to stay up at night and watch tv with him so not going to bed as early as I should. But I am so thankful to have him back to being himself and feeling so good that I really can't possibly complain. I feel like I got my Hubby back. :) So I'll gladly adjust.

Today is house cleaning and my turn to do my laundry. Tonight the oldest DGD has a musical play that she is in so we will be going to that. Tomorrow is beauty salon and the ladies monthly brunch at church so I don't see things slowing down until maybe Monday. It is good to get out and especially with DH and family.

The pizza dinner didn't hurt me. In fact, I dropped another lb and it was still off this morning. Can't tell much about my fbs because it still goes all over the place and so far my A1c is always normal however, I am eating low enough carbs now to get rid of that craving for sweets. I know I can have a little dark chocolate without any problems, but never would eat any yesterday. I was so afraid that I would ruin the good work I did yesterday. I can't remember if it was Georgia or who said that greens worked so well for her bs, but I went to the store yesterday and bought a bunch and cooked it and am going to be eating them everyday.

Better run. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll get back when I can but it may not be until Monday.

cbmare
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Well, well, well. We had our taco salad last night. I think I now know that I CANNOT eat corn chips. We like Frito's in our taco salad. My reading last night was 195. This morning it was down to 165, so caution is the word. I decided to not bring my lunch. I want to go to Fresh Choice and have a nice big salad with all types of goodies in it that I don't keep at home. We'll see what is going to happen.

geoblewis
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Hey girls. So glad I can come here and rest my weary, drug-heavy head. I've had a couple rough days since going on the Januvia. Really bad cold symptoms, lethargy, still very thick-headed and vertigo, plus a six pound gain in two days from water retention. My hands, feet and ankles are so swollen, like they haven't been for at least four years.

Without talking to my doctor I decided not to take the pill last night. And this morning, my blood sugar was where it has been around where it's been for the last week (111), I lost four pounds and I can bend my fingers and toes again. Plus, the cold symptoms are going away and I don't feel so tired today. The drawback is that after a breakfast of just two hard-cooked eggs, my 2-hour ppgt was back up to 135. Since I had been on the Januvia, it would remain under 120.

I still have Metformin in my system. It'll be another two to four weeks before that goes away. It makes me feel really foggy and the vertigo prevents me from exercising regularly, Rie. My doctor agreed that I stop taking that since it wasn't really doing anything for my blood sugar levels.

I really was feeling so good before all this medication stuff started. I haven't really tested out how well my blood sugar does when I'm eating a very low carb diet, so here's my chance. I'm going to go back to consistent, daily exercise as soon as the vertigo goes away too. And when I get back from my trip in late June, I'll see how I'm doing and revisit this stuff with my doctor. I'm still going to talk to her and let her know where I'm at today.

Mare, I can't do any form of corn. It was a really hard thing to accept and I really miss my tortillas! But I can make a "taco" with romaine lettuce leaves. I can assemble a taco salad with seasoned ground turkey and shredded cheese on the romaine lettuce plus add salsa for the dressing. I still can't figure out how to do a very-low-carb version of tamales. Maybe that's just something I can't have but once a year now.

Trish, it wasn't me! I was just surprised that greens are supposed to help with that. But I am an absolute SLUT for my greens! Gotta have them every day! I just juiced some of mine, parsley and spinach with ginger, garlic, cucumber, celery, lime and an apple. Put me over on my carbs for the day, but it was deliscious! I added just a little salt to the green cocktail. It was spicy and very fresh tasting.

Jane, I'm kinda frustrated with finding the right macronutrient ratio for me. Some diabetes support websites talk about fat being up to 65% for the ketogenic-type diets (30% protein, 5% carbs). When I don't restrict myself, I eat about 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs. I just went to see a weight-loss doctor who puts people on very low carb and very low fat diets and his percentages are 30% fat, 10% carbs, 60% protein, plus he restricts calories to around 1200.

I know that when I cut fats, my appetite goes up. The doctor has patients keep fats really low but he prescribes phentermine to help control appetite. I don't want to go that route at all. I haven't been doing the strict Atkins induction drug-free for long enough to know if it's really working yet. Hoping in the next day or so I can get on top of the constant hunger from the drastic cut in carbs and then start to dial back the fats.

And then lose some real weight!!!

Jane
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
FBS was 123 this morning. Maybe lowering my carbs will help. I do eat only complex carbs.

Georgia - thanks for the info. My carbs have been a little on the high side, I think, hovering between 25-30%. I hope you feel better soon.

Trish - I'm glad you got out for some "me" time. I need to go get my nails done professionally, too. I can't ever get my cuticles to look as good as they do. I've got one of those little snipper thingies, but I'm afraid to cut too close, lol.

Ruth - try and take some breaks in-between all the busyness.

Two of my granddaughters are staying over tomorrow night, so that will be fun. Other than that, I have no where I have to be. YAY!!

Have a good one. :)

cbmare
04-20-2012, 08:45 PM
What a relief! I got home and took by reading. As I reported, it was 165 this AM. It was 85 when I got home. I guess my lettuce, spinach and other greens did it for me at lunch. Dang! I just remembered that I left a half artichoke at work! Oh well, snack on Monday.

Safeway had the $5 Friday today. It is a whole roasted chicken. They are actually juicy and taste quite good. That $5 chicken will make 3 meals for the 2 of us. So it is roasted chicken and kale tonight. I may forego the carb tonight and have smashed celeriac tomorrow with veal chops.

I LOVE my greens.

Don't know if I'll make it in over the weekend. I'm going to take another machine embroidery class tomorrow and then get back to reorganizing my craft room. It is due to throw up.

pattygirl63
04-20-2012, 10:29 PM
What a relief! I got home and took by reading. As I reported, it was 165 this AM. It was 85 when I got home. I guess my lettuce, spinach and other greens did it for me at lunch. Dang! I just remembered that I left a half artichoke at work! Oh well, snack on Monday.

Safeway had the $5 Friday today. It is a whole roasted chicken. They are actually juicy and taste quite good. That $5 chicken will make 3 meals for the 2 of us. So it is roasted chicken and kale tonight. I may forego the carb tonight and have smashed celeriac tomorrow with veal chops.

I LOVE my greens.

Don't know if I'll make it in over the weekend. I'm going to take another machine embroidery class tomorrow and then get back to reorganizing my craft room. It is due to throw up.

You are the one who mentioned the greens. I am eating greens since you mentioned it. Do you eat the raw spinach in your salads. I used to do that and I need to start doing that again. Seems I remember my fbs being really good when I ate raw spinach. I love greens too so won't be difficult to add them.

pattygirl63
04-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Remembered to check my fbs today and it was 127 which was good since I took it earlier than usual because I was eating earlier also I have not been able to take the Metformin any more because of the leg cramps. So the 127 is done just from diet and being more active. So I am very pleased. I don't know if I told y'all earlier or not but I dropped another lb. Need to lose 3 more before I get back to new territory.

Hey chickies, I drink a lot of green tea and also drink oolong tea. I decided to research the benefits. These 2 teas help lose weight. It said 2 lbs a week. It lowers cholesterol, triglycerides, prevents blood clots and is good for diabetics and so many other things I can't name it all. And green tea hydrates as good as water with benefits we don't get from water. I've decided that since I don't drink sodas any more, I am going to make these 2 teas my new regular daily drinks. I realized today that when I eat the greens and drink the green tea that my fbs is lower. I think eating healthy has to be done with it.

Jane - I don't eat breakfast. I am doing Intermittent Fasting also called Intermittent Feeding. I eat everyday within a 5 hr to 8 hr window and fast the rest of the time. Try to make most days 5 hr eating window. How long the feeding window is depends on what is going on that day. So I check my fbs just before I eat my first meal of the day.

geoblewis
04-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Good morning chicks! I'm off to plant a vegetable garden this morning, but just here to report fbs of 112.

See ya later!

cbmare
04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I had sweet dreams again last night. Don't know why considering I woke up twice and was so scared I couldn't scream. I don't often have those terrifying dreams any longer but last night I had 2! Anyway, FBS was 127. It was 115 after dinner. Go figure.

Trish, yes, I'm the greens-a-holic. I don't care and I'm not going to change. I'm a waterholic, too. Have been all my life. Yes, they were raw spinach leaves in my salad. I love those things. Good luck with that garden. You're on the coast, right? You should have some perfect weather for planting things like kale. I can't on this side because our summer is warm/hot and yours is much cooler if not cold at times.

Well, off to class. We're making photo wallets today. Never done that before.

geoblewis
04-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Since switching to an Atkins-like diet (I'm not completely compliant on induction), I had a lot of cravings for grains, starchy veg, and sugar. But in the last couple days, I increased my non-starchy veg intake and noticed the cravings are almost gone. And today, I've been craving kale all day.

I just made myself a big glass of juiced veggies. Lots of spinach, parsley, cucumber, celery, a lime and ginger. Yesterday I made one of these but with an apple in it. The carbs were too high, but it tasted better. Still, this wasn't bad at all, kinda spicy and refreshing.

I'm at 50 gm net carbs for today. I still have dinner ahead of me. I have lots of available protein, so I'm going to have a bison filet mignon, but I really want some kale! That will add five more net grams of carbs. I can live with that!

Tomorrow is weigh in day! I'm hopeful!

fatmad
04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Well friends, haven't been on much for a bit, coming down with a cold or something, sore throat, headache that won't go away, and and tired and generally feeling crummy. I didn't test today, and ate low carb all day today and yesterday. Not much appetite generally.
also got some difficult news on Thursday. :( and have been bummed out since.
As some may remember, my previous way of working was to do visits with my clients a couple of full days per week, and new baby and mama visits others days as needed, and was on call for deliveries of my clients all but about 5-6 days per month. Last fall one of my colleagues and I decided to make a change in this, and we started an arrangement that one of us saw clients of both for visits during the week, while the other was on call, and then the next week we switched positions. We decided to try this for a year.
Since then, I have lost 10 pounds, been sleeping better, (my insomnia really hasn't plagued me since the fall when we decided this) my stress levels are down, and life in general has been better. Sugars are stable, and it is much easier to plan my meds.
On Thursday, she told me she won't be continuing the arrangement. She states it is a job satisfaction issue, which I accept and can't change. Privately, I would say she is a bit whiny. We heard no end of the difficulties she had with the previous way of working, and how hard it was on her family. She has complained a bit, but hasn't been good about problem-solving any difficulties we have had. She doesn't always communicate well, and I am a bit worried that those issues are also part of her decision.
However, I am feeling pretty strongly that I can't return to the old way. I am gonna hold her to the whole year of the plan, and for now, will not book clients for January and beyond until I have found a new partner in my care sharing plan. Its not worth the stress. But you may have guessed I am already stressed. I have already been talking to people about other ways of working, doing Locums for other practices etc. and talking to my DH about leaving the practice, at least temporarily.
Fortunately, I had some pampering booked for the weekend. I had a massage yesterday and mani-pedi today. TOmorrow I am going to a yoga workshop, I hope it is good and hot, (its at the hot yoga studio) so sweat out this virus. I had a hot tub tonight to try to sweat the cold away.
So if I am a little off my game for a few days, I know you will all understand.
Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Riemontana
04-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Hello All,

Sorry that I have been MIA for a couple days. I had internet problems and I have been playing in the state pool tourney the last couple of days. I didn't make the finals but I had a good time.

Mad, it sounds like you need to consider other possibilities for your practice, if possible. Your health is important! :hug:

Georgia, it sounds like you are doing well hitting the lean protein and limits on carbs. Good for you!

Mare, LOL the greens girl! I like them too. I don't think they limit my bs but they fill me up without a lot of carbs.

Hi Trish! You are doing great!

Jane, I don't look at a percentage. I just count carbs and limit calories. I try to limit carbs to no more than 20 per meal, and no more than 20 carbs for extras like snacks. (I hardly ever eat snacks) I use livestrong to calculate my calories. I also try to get about 20gms of fiber every day.

Ruth, I hope that your busy weekend passes with you as easily as possible.

Sorry for missing anyone, I am really tired. Later!

Rie

fatmad
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the hugs Rie. Feeling better today, not so tired, and sore throat is better, but I have lots of stomach cramps, woke with them in the night, as if there is a lot of gas in the bowel, or I had taken a harsh laxative, which I haven't. Back to regular ww today, off the atkins, and just a ww lower carb lifestyle. Just planning a quiet few days coming up, and regular exercise. I have a yoga workshop this afternoon, and will take the dog for a walk this morning too.
I am liking the discussion of greens, I have always been a greens person. DH grew up not having much in the way of veggies, (potatoes, corn, peas + carrots, in summer just sliced tomato and cucumber) and over the years has done well to learn to eat a good variety of veggies. He still doesn't like cauliflower and brussels sprouts, but otherwise eats everything now. And is willing to try new stuff.
Georgia, where does the bison come from? The only time I see those kind of meats here is in specialty restaurants or occasionally at native gatherings. I like it, but never see it to buy.
Anyway chickies, ttfn, have a lovely Sunday

geoblewis
04-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Mad, I can get ground bison at my supermarket all the time here in Central CA. Safeway always carries it. But Costco does too, along with the steaks at times. They had a brand called Great Plains Bison a few months back and I bought several boxes. But they've never stocked it since and I'm almost out! It is sold online too. I do know of one bison rancher in Northern California who will sell a whole or half bison. I don't have that much freezer space!

Rie, Internet problems...:hug:

Well, while on the meds my weight had crept up to 300 lbs, but since quitting them and going Atkins for one week, I'm down 4 lbs. My fbg this morning was 127, highest it's been in a week. But my period started yesterday, for the first time in three months. So that probably added to my manic carb cravings over the last few days, and especially my appetite. This morning I'm ravenous, still, and I already ate a big breakfast. Had to leave the kitchen so I wouldn't keep stuffing my face. Just waiting it out for another hour (already been an hour) to see what my bg will be and then I'm having an Atkins bar and a cup of coffee.

I've been trying smaller meals every two to three hours. I find my bg is much more steady that way. All my daytime 2-hr pp bg have been under 110 since doing this. I still like a bigger meal at dinner, but bg has been better then as well. This week I'm hoping to find better control for my Atkins induction groove.

cbmare
04-22-2012, 12:18 PM
My FBS was 126 this AM. I was kinda disappointed considering it was 155 after dinner last night. I didn't have greens with dinner other than a salad. I don't consider lettuce greens.

We'll see what today brings. I'm about ready to head out to the Campbell farmer's market and see what kind of green heaven I can get into. Besides, I want some off the farm fresh artichokes & asparagus to take for my snacks this week.

Trish, do you have a vita mix? I can't afford one right now but would love to try and figure out a way to make some greens smoothie type things. Smoothie without the added dairy or carby/calorie ridden stuff people usually add.

I hope everyone will have a good week this week. Feel better, get solutions for work issues, lose those blasted 2 lbs that found me yet again and not get salt cravings. I don't get sugar ones but my taste buds just love salt.

cbmare
04-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Now a question. Forgive me if I asked before. In my old age, my brain doesn't recall stuff I need but remembers stuff like the names of the pets on The Brady Bunch. WHY? LOL.

What types of numbers do you like for your carb intake? When I started this journey in Dec., my dr and the class people told me to inject 145 gm/day. I don't want that many carbs. I try and keep them around 100 or less. If kale and things like that put me over, I don't care because the fiber and other benefits of the greens are worth it. I wasn't told to follow Atkins. I'm supposed to follow the USDA plate thing of 1/2 plate greens type foods, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs.

I know some of you do the Atkins thing but I don't want to follow a structured eating program. I start wanting foods I can't have. So, I try and calorie count and just keep my carbs under 100. Maybe that is why I can't lose those 2 lbs and move on. Oh, I can't do physical exercise because I used Icy Hot Patches and developed AFib. My heart won't let me. Don't every use those pain patches. They mess with your heart.

geoblewis
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Mare, I can't eat that many carbs. It keeps my general daytime levels over 120s and fbg over 140s. When I'm under 60 gm, daytime levels seem to hover in the 110s and fbg in the 120s. And if I muscle them down to a consistent 20 gm, then daytimes are under 100 and fbg is close to 100. When I'm down that low, it's safe for me to go to my Pilates class because I always spike 20 points when I exercise, then drop 30 or more for the rest of the day.

But I also have to be careful with how much protein I eat, especially later in the day. Can't really eat more than 30gm at dinner or fbg will go up.

Jane
04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Rie - thanks for the info. Makes sense. Yay for having fun in the pool tourney!

FBS was high after including beef in my meal last night. I'm starting to see a pattern with that, so I'll eat it very sparingly from now on.

Have a good Sunday. :)

cbmare
04-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Maybe we should make a conversation thread of what makes you spike. Jane, I thought beef was on the Atkins / low carb plan because there are little to no carbs in it. Could it be how it was prepared?

I thought exercise was supposed to drop your points. Now I read what Georgia said and it makes me wonder.

Hmmm.

fatmad
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Mare: exercise causes temporary spikes, as we release glucose to feed the working muscles, and it takes a while to go down. Generally, it is back to normal within 2 hours, though we must be careful to just have water and a healthy snack after ward, no gatorades etc.
The high protein meal doesn't cause a spike, but over night, the liver will dump a lot of glucose into the system, (dawn effect) for many if we don't have a little carby snack before bed. It doesn't have to be large, or lots of carbs, but does make a difference. Even with metformin, I had trouble with fasting sugars on atkins.
Georgia, be patient about the weight loss with atkins. It will happen and you will feel better, you sure had unusual side effects, so hope you are back to normal soon.

pattygirl63
04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

Mare - I too have been craving salty foods, but I retain fluid and really shouldn't eat a lot of salt. I don't raise any foods. My 2nd hubby loved raising our food and we had a place in the country when he was living and we raise our own veggies, chickens, turkey, and ducks. I loved having fresh eggs and veggies. I really miss that but my present hubby isn't into that and I don't think he has the stamina to do it any way.

Rie - Sorry about the internet problems. Hope the problem is straightened out. Sorry you didn't win the tourney but glad you enjoy it.

Mad - :hug: I'm so sorry about the problems with your job that is bringing you such stress. I will be praying for you that you will find something better. You are so good at what you do and you are one of those nurses that we really need because you love what you do. I do pray that you will find the place where your abilities will be much appreciated and things won't be so stressed out. Good thoughts and vibes coming your way

Georgia - I really don't want to go as low as Atkins Induction on my carbs, but I think I'm learning that I need to keep them rather low. I really do not
want to count anything, but I do see how so many of us even on other threads here on 3fc not just diabetics seems to have to eat so much less carbs. I have found myself craving sweets especially chocolates. Last night I felt a craving of salty foods coming on. You know like one of those times when you alternately crave sweets and the salt. Thank goodness I didn't give into it. So I've decided that for a while, I am going to do a low carb way of eating and get my carbs only from the veggies that I eat and very little fruit.

Jane - In the beginning after diagnosed T-2, I checked bg after most of the foods or meals that I ate. I was amazed to learn what made my bg rise. There were foods like oatmeal that we are told diabetics can eat and it is good for them to eat made my bg skyrocket. Even my dr was surprised, but he said "the numbers don't lie". This is a journey of learning what works for each of us individually. I am confident you will find yours.

I've learned that there are some things I just can't do even occasionally. I think the low carb kind of takes care of the fluid retention another reason why I need to do low carb, because if I don't do low carb, I can't eat any salt at all because I can gain as much as 6 lbs by eating salty/carby foods just in one day... I'm that sensitive to them. I gained 2 lbs in one day. Why I'm having to get strict right now. So as I said above, I am going to have to limit my carbs to just the veggies and a very limited amount of fruit. Fruit will be mostly berries and maybe an apple and now that I'm not taking Metformin I can have grapefruit which is my favorite.

Here's hoping that we all have a great week.

Riemontana
04-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Hello all,

I will be in a rush tomorrow morning so I thought that I would drop in a post here tonight. I had a day of rest. I am retaining fluids and it is not a comfortable feeling. The plan is lots of water tomorrow, and a good workout in the morning.

I am not aware that beef can spike bs but I know that if I don't have a small (15 grams) carby snack with a little protein at night, I have higher fasting numbers. As Mad explained, my bs spikes immediately after exercise and then becomes more stable with regular exercise.

As to things that spike us.... bread - even high fiber bread is a problem for me. It always spikes me and makes me hungry. I do well with small amounts of dark chocolate and high fiber fruits like apples.

Trish, I can't eat oatmeal, either. I miss it. I don't miss having chickens and such around anymore. We get great fresh eggs from the local huderite colonies in the area. Great produce.

Mare, every bit of info I have found is that even small amounts of working out will stabilize bs over time.

Jane, did you have a small snack at night? Or was there a sauce on the beef with sugar?

Georgia, I hope that you find some balance that works for you.

Mad, did you sweat that virus out? I hope so.

Ruth, I hope that the festival went smoothly and that you enjoyed yourself.

Later Gators!

Rie

Ruthxxx
04-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Yet another quick check-in after a terrifically busy few days. Our Maple Syrup festival went well and I resisted MOST of the temptations. BGL is the usual 4.3 this morning but weight is up to 181 again - some of it is water retention but the rest may be real as I did give in to some carby temptations.

I am considering going back to using Fitday again to track my carbs. My problem is that I need lots of fibre - bowel cancer in my family - and it's hard to get the fibre without adding more carbs. I aim for 25 - 30 grams of fibre but ... I guess it's time to go back to constant meal planning AND sticking to the plan! (The planning part is easy!)

Anyhow, I'm off to the gym very shortly and will try not to feel too guilty about the weekend deviations.

Edited to Add: My gym buddies wimped out this morning as we got a dump of snow last night! The scheduled driver decided she just couldn't brush the snow off her car because she'd "put away the snowbrush"! :shrug: I'm going on my own, just a bit later so I can hit the bank when it opens.

geoblewis
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Jane, when it comes to eating beef, well, I LOVE it. But I've had to adjust when and how much. My numbers tend to be lowest around midday, so I like to eat a small filet mignon or NYstrip with salad and avocado for lunch, then go really veggie with some fish at dinner. My bg responds just fine with that. I just can't have beef at dinner or breakfast. (Yes, already tested for steak and eggs, one of my favorite, but can't do that in the morning.)

Mare, it really depends on what exercise I'm doing. Anything more than walking makes it go up and any time of the day, but about an hour after that, depending on how hard the workout was, it can drop down into the low 70s and then stay below 100 for a few hours, even when I eat. Like last week, I went for my training session and my trainer had me doing HIIT and squats, pushups, plus weights. I had gone in at 116, and right after was at 124, but a couple hours later, after I ate a good lunch, 84. But the effect doesn't seem to carry into the next day, because I didn't do much of anything that day and all my daytime numbers when back into the 110s.

I spike on steel cut oats and every kind of whole grain and legume, despite what we've all been told. Even if there's fiber involved. I spike a little in the evenings on beef and pork, unless it's really fatty bacon. I don't seem to spike on poultry, eggs, lamb or fish. Or bison. Haven't tested any shellfish yet. As I understand it, if we have not eaten carbs, our body will use protein to make glycogen. When I totally overeat beef, that's what's happening.

Trish, I get my chocolate fix from munching on a tablespoon of roasted cocoa nibs every day. No sugar or fats added, a little fiber, and very good roasty chocolate flavor. I put on little nib in my mouth and nibble on it and let the cocoa flavor entertain me. At first, it's very disappointing not to get the rich taste and the sweetness, but I got used to it and now I love them!

I like your decision about how you want to eat, lots of veg and a little fruit. I'm going to be doing that as soon as my weight drops low enough so that it no longer impacts my fbg.

By the way, this morning my fbg was 125. I overindulged last night, on almonds! Could not stop myself! This morning I have a very small breakfast and took Ms. Daisy out for a half hour walk, and two hours after breakfast bg was down to 105. I just got all Hobbit-like and had second breakfast (kale and a poached egg). Later today I'm going to lunch with my godmother, so I'm going to try to steer her towards my favorite place to eat that serves lovely salads and a nice small portion of salmon.

As long as I get on top of things in the morning, when my ambition for the day is high, I think I can find balance throughout the day, Rie. I feel a lot less panic than I did two months ago. Still have to bring my appetite into submission in the evenings. Really, what's it gonna take for me to get over that?!

Ruth, that's my fiber goal too and it is hard to achieve when keeping carbs low. I took something called Super Colon Cleanse last week. It has psyllium as well as senna in it. It REALLY cleaned me out the first day, within an hour! The next day, a good clean out too, but it took two hours to achieve. Then I skipped two days. I took it again last evening because I hadn't had a BM in a couple days. It didn't work till this morning. I think it's because since I'm on induction and I'm not eating that much volume, I don't have much to pass along. The higher fats on Atkins seems to be getting used up, as is the protein. Before I ever considered cutting grains and legumes, I was having a lot more BM. I read some book that suggest 50 gm of fiber, but it was something to work up to. I have eaten as much as 45 gm in a day, but if it was all from veggies, I wouldn't have a BM for a couple days. Very odd!

Okay, I think I touched base with everyone! Hope you all have a great day!

pattygirl63
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Happy to say that ticker is accurate again today. Eating went very well yesterday as I went back on my 6 hr eating window. A lot of those doing the Fast-5 on 3fc seem to lean more toward the Paleo woe. I'm reading up on it as that woe makes since to me. I'm not sure I can do 100% Paleo, but I also read where some people do 80/20% Paleo. I really believe that I might be able to do that 80 to 90% Paleo. I guess I never really understood how Paleo works. After being on WW, I like the idea of eating a lot of fresh fruit and veggies along with protein. I love salads and I do eat a whole lot of salads and I think I'm mostly eating that way most of the time now so I'm going to just go for it.

I break my 18 hr fast each day with fruit and then eat 2 meals during my 6 hr eating window. I eat pretty much a balanced meal for my main meal and then eat a huge salad with protein of fish, beef or chicken and fat at my second meal. I drink lots of water and green/oolong tea during my fast and that keeps me satisfied.

Y'all have a great day.

cbmare
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I want to thank all of you for having patience with me and working with me on this new journey. You would think that diabetes would treat each body the same but it is amazing how differently we all respond to different things.

I keep a log of my numbers. For some reason I am missing the 15th and 16th numbers. Even boobalah was surprised. He remarked that I'm obsessive about writing them down. I must have written them on a different hunk of paper and not the little strips I keep in the back pocket of my kit thingy. Oh well.

Liver and onions didn't do me much harm last night. Boobalah carmelized the onions which really brings out the sugar. He used some of his bacon that he cured. This one was a sweeter cure than the others. I also had a bit of mashed potato. Of course, 2+ cups of salad before dinner. My number before dinner was 95 and 126 afterwards. However, it didn't go down much over night. It was 115 this AM.

Patty - I take it you've been widowed as well. My 2nd hubby passed away in 1980. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him. He, too, loved to grow things. Fortunately, boobalah does as well.

pattygirl63
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
IPatty - I take it you've been widowed as well. My 2nd hubby passed away in 1980. There isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him. He, too, loved to grow things. Fortunately, boobalah does as well.

Yes, I have been a widow twice. Tony is my 3rd hubby. 1st time I was 22 when my guy passed away. We were married 1 1/2 yrs. 2nd time we were married 31 yrs. He was the love of my life and I think of him everyday and still miss him. However, I am thankful to have Tony in my life and we've been married 9 yrs.

cbmare
04-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, I have been a widow twice. Tony is my 3rd hubby. 1st time I was 22 when my guy passed away. We were married 1 1/2 yrs. 2nd time we were married 31 yrs. He was the love of my life and I think of him everyday and still miss him. However, I am thankful to have Tony in my life and we've been married 9 yrs.

I'm sorry for your losses. I, too, was under 30. This is a whole different set of emotions. I've lost both parents and I've lost friends. The love of your life is another matter. I just hope and pray I NEVER experience the loss of a child. I can't fathom that type of grief.

I don't know what happened with my first husband. I don't care. I left him for the joys of a battered women's shelter. I left with the clothes on mine and my daughter's backs and never looked back.

Thanks for sharing.

chipper15173
04-24-2012, 06:25 AM
cruising on by....haven't read the posts, so i hope everyone is doing good. scale has been stuck at a stop sign and creeping through it. inch by little 1/4, 1/2 pound inch. started my spring cleaning. living room this week. i am sore from moving furniture yesterday. hope to get it somewhat together today. shampooed carpets, washed windows, blinds. now to get it back together.
have a great week.

Jane
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi all,

Much to do today, so this will be short. Like many of you, I thought it was strange that beef would be the culprit of elevated FBS. But, my meals are so routine, with usually chicken or fish, lots of veggies, and a complex carb. I limit fruit to twice a day and call it dessert. Both times that my sugar was up, I had had beef the night before. Like goeblewis, I guess I will have to limit beef to lunchtime. Thanks for that tip, since my numbers are smaller in the midday, too.

The sun is shining, and I have lots to do. Better get at it! Have a good day.

Bigbeautifulmama2012
04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Exercise is off for a while...I killed my foot. slid on some water my daughter spilled now i am sitting here saying OWE! everytime I move my bruised foot. :(

geoblewis
04-25-2012, 01:36 AM
BBM! :( Hope the pain goes away soon!

I had some light bulb moments today. Went to my private training, did some reading about losing weight, or rather, not gaining weight while taking insulin. Since the meds don't make me feel good at all and I've stopped taking them, I've been wondering what's next for me. The Atkins is going well and my morning numbers are looking pretty good (for me) and my daytime numbers are looking even better, like almost normal!

I read something on a different forum about how people on insulin succeeded to lose weight. They all said the same sort of thing, that they decided how much insulin to take and ate the amount of carbs that correlated to that, and not the opposite. They didn't take insulin to deal with all the carbs they wanted to eat. It started a thought in my head...maybe if I were accomodating my pancreas in the state she were in, is that what eating low carb is all about?

Do I just need to find the level of carbs my pancreas can actually handle and then stick to that? Because it's not zero carbs. And it's not 50 carbs, or 40 carbs. It's getting closer to 30 carbs or even 20 carbs. And it's not overeating at any meal but keeping them small, like under 500 calories. And to not do anything more than walking in the mornings, then I can do Pilates and weight training later in the day when my blood sugar can handle it. And going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time.

So that's what I'm doing now, living to accomodate my pancreas and other related organs. Still eating lots of veggies to accomodate my liver. Still drinking lots of water to accomodate my kidneys. Still exercising to accomodate my heart and lungs. I really hope this is the answer for me.

Riemontana
04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Fbs at 89 this morning and I went on a 3.5 mile walk at a really good pace. It was a lovely spring morning and I enjoyed the fresh air. The grain and sugar beets are both up in the fields and it is nice to see that sign of the season.

I am having a stressful work week and I will be glad when I get past these things. Only a couple more days now. I am starting to believe that stress can really raise my bs, as I have been up a few points for no apparent reason.:?:

Georgia, I really like the idea of eating at the level that your body can handle. Whatever works.

BBM, so sorry about your injury. I hope you get better soon.

Jane, good for you! This is all about figuring out how your own body reacts.

Chipper, would you like to come to Montana and clean my house? I sure need to do it....:p Unfortunately, I'd rather clean my boat. :D

Mare and Trish, I am amazed that you both have suffered the loss of spouses. So sorry. that is really hard. :hug:

Mad and Ruth, I hope everything is going well for you this week.

Rie

pattygirl63
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
A quick flyby to say hello and I'm still here. Busy day today. Hope everyone is doing okay and having a great day.

geoblewis
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey girls, I'm here for a flyby too. :p

I ate too late last night. Then didn't get enough sleep. FBS was 118 this morning.

It's too rainy to walk the dog this morning...maybe I'll try rowing while watching The Good Wife. Trying to get my mind off eating at the moment. Still dealing with constant hunger.

Rie, stress always raises my bs as well as my bp. And I want to eat more. And I can't sleep. And I'm crabby. Then I just want to do some online shopping...hope things get better for you soon!

Ruthxxx
04-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Stress definitely raises my BS and it has been up the past few days. So is the weight but I know why! :( However, had a good workout at the gym today and then went to town. I did NOT go to the Chinese buffet although I was in sniffing range at 1 PM. I came home and had Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries instead. I may do a shrimp stir-fry tonight.

Jane
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Busy day for me, and I'm just too tired to say much, but wanted to say hi and let you know that I enjoy learning from this great group!

geoblewis
04-26-2012, 12:50 AM
I still struggle with eating too much. I really need to hack this issue. Today, I ate about 500 calories at breakfast and lunch. Then I was still hungry after lunch, so I kept finding protein/fat combos to induce satiety. I had planned to just do the 500 calories at dinner too, but then started feeling hungry again around 4. But no time to eat because we had the dog to walk during a lull in the storm, my son needed to go to the orthodontist, I had to get some meds for my mother and my other son had to deliver said meds and put her trash to the curb. It was 7 before I got to eat again. I had avocado, a NY strip steak, then a little chicken. And then two hard boiled eggs.

And I'm still hungry! I've had all my water (12 glasses). My carbs came in at 17 gm net today and my 2-hour pp was 106. I don't want to eat anything else. I just want to go to bed. Just someone, please tell my appetite to shut up!

It wasn't this bad before I started medication two months ago. It was there, but not this bad.

I didn't sleep well enough last night. Maybe that's it. I'm going to bed early and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Ruthxxx
04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Weight is back down to 180 this morning and BGL is the usual 4.2. I've considered stopping testing it every morning but won't because I may have those awful lows again despite the change in my meds.

I really need to eat more vegetables! I seem to stick up on greens a lot but they end up in the compost. i did get some arugula yesterday in town and am leaning towards a salad with some HB egg protein for lunch today. When the weather is cold and rainy, salads just don't appeal, I'm afraid. I need a cook - or a mother!

fatmad
04-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Georgia, I think a big green salad with full fat dressing might have helped your hungries. You were still under 20 g carbs, so it would have kept you in that range, and I think the chewing on the greens would have helped the appetite.

FOr my part, I really blew it on Tuesday, having pizza for lunch, and wings and nachos in the evening at a staff event. The latter was actually not too bad, as there were 8 of us, and I had smallish servings of each, but weight is up, not sure if retaining water or what, but definitely at 170 for now.

Had another all nighter and am still catching up on sleep. Less stress, as I don't have other responsibilities like doing lots of visits, but still getting enough sleep overall is hard. DD is home for a week before her new apartment is ready in town. She was really helpful last night, and we seem to get on fine these days. See how the week goes.

Riemontana
04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Hello friends!

fbs at 80 this morning. I overslept and didn't get in a workout so I will try to lift weights tonight or take a walk. My eating has been good.

Mad, I am glad that things are going well with your dd. Hopefully, you will get some sleep. Isn't it amazing how we used to do those all nighters and be fine by the next day. No more.... these days it takes me out for a long time:(

Ruth, when I am eating well, I have a salad with both lunch and supper. Maybe try to make it a "habit" rather than planning it into the menu. It sure helps me eat less when I do this.

Georgia, 17 carbs for the day is impressive. I hope it gets easier for you!

Hi to Trish, Jane, Chipper, and Carol. Off to work!

Rie

Bigbeautifulmama2012
04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you all for all the well wishes. I was in the ER last night they said it might be a tendon or ligament tear. They want me to follow with an orthopedic doc so he can make sure. I start the nursing program on Monday, and need my foot!!! Yeah a tad stressed on that one. my bp was way high I am sure due to stress and pain. I hope the day brings peace, love, and happiness to all of you! :hug:

Wannabehealthy
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Trish - I have always heard that if you eat some protein with your carbs you don't get the spike. I was in the hospital for my heart when they diagnosed my type 2. For breakfast, I always had a choice of cereals, plus a scrambled eggbeater and slice of toast. I usually chose oatmeal or cream of wheat and I think having the egg with it kept my bs from spiking. If oatmeal is a favorite of yours, you should try having a little protein with it.

Rie - I have tried having a snack at bedtime to regulate my fbs and it didn't seem to help. A nurse at cardiac rehab told me don't have the snack unless I'm hungry. I may try it again because my snack may have been too big.

Ruth - I also need a lot of fiber, but I eat a few All Bran Crackers every day and that really helps. I think I will try having them at bedtime with a little cheese for my snack. 18 crackers has 20 gm carbs and 5 gm fiber, but I never eat more than 10 a day.

geoblewis
04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey girlfriends! Nice to see you all here. It's a beautiful day in Central CA, intermittent rain and sunshine. I was just in the backyard collecting doggie poo (why do I always get that job?) before the gardener arrives to cut the lawn and I was thinking just how nice it is to have a nice yard (except for the brown patches on the lawn).

I am feeling pretty good today. Fbg was 113 this morning. I am trying to ignor my hunger, still, but I'm succeeding at keeping the carbs really low again today. I just noticed that at lunch yesterday and today, I ate almost the same amount of calories, but today I had a few grams less carbs and more protein. My 2-hr pp was 24 pt lower than yesterday. I'm sure today's morning activity helped.

I really want to take a nap right now...but no! I have a kid to chauffer! I could make him walk. It's only 12 minutes on foot to the math tutor. Maybe I'll make him walk the dog there...

red65
04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't checked in at all this month and the month is almost over. Sort of ashamed to post this late but if not now then when?

I am almost 3 months into my diagnosis and still having spikes and still have yet to see a "normal" fasting glucose reading.

When I last saw my doctor at the very end of last month he said to continue the 1000 metformin morning and night and upped the glyburide from 2.5 to 5. He refused to increase my Reglan for the gastroparesis and refused to refill my nausea meds as he said that once my blood sugar is under control I won't be nauseated and vomiting anymore.

Well, none of those things have happened. I still struggle with the nausea and vomiting and thank God my neurologist will prescribe anti-nausea meds because he understands how dangerous throwing up can be for me and doesn't want to deal with me having anymore strokes/mini-strokes.

My doctor also said to stop testing my blood sugar so many times a day. Said it was too expensive. He told me to test in the morning one day and 2hr after lunch the next and alternate with just those two tests (meaning once a day).

I did that up until this past week and didn't really feel like I had anything to report in here (how stupid is THAT rationalization LOL!) This week I have been more vigilant about my testing (I buy the strips so I can decide how quickly I want to buy new ones lol).

Mornings have been running anywhere from 150 - 170 (which is better than chronic 200s but not where it needs to be yet.) This morning though was 210. Afternoons have been all over the place but today was 320. I can't just ignore this stuff, I NEED TO SEE AND KNOW!!

On a good note my weight is moving down. I was pushing 260 when all this started. For the past week I have been flirting with the 240's and today I feel I can safely claim it as I weighed in at 246.2 in the afternoon fully clothed having eaten and drank normally. At least there is SOMETHING positive to report LOL!!

I found out one thing this past month. My tongue, body AND blood sugar like veggie soup!! I am typically a veggie hater in case I haven't said that before but I found a recipe for Olive Garden style Pasta e Fagioli soup which I dearly love. I ate it for days and my blood sugar was very low during that time. I think I even hit the 120s in the morning and a 75 evening during that time lol.

Hubby pretty much hates soup but DD is dieting also and loved it so I am going to make more of it. So wonderful, so close to the Olive Garden one and so easy to make. Winner all the way!

Ok, I have rambled on enough so I will stop for now but commit to checking in more even if it is just to say HI!!!

Hugs,
Kellye

P.S. OMG I want to scream. Told DH my weight today and instead of saying something positive he starts lecturing me about eating right, excercising, etc. Finally I just told him "I just wanted you to say GOOD JOB". So he said good job and left the room. I wanted to throw a shoe at him. So, I will only discuss my weight here and with my daughter and mom.

P.P.S. After fuming for over an hour hubby and I had a discussion about the conversation above. After hearing his side of it I feel better. He did not say what he did out of criticism which is how I took it but out of concern because with all my health problems he worries about me and wants me to be around for a long time. He wants to grow old with me (his words) without having me sick, bedridden or worse. His mom had many of my same problems including diabetes and he watched her lose weight from just eating basically garbage foods. He worries that I will follow her course over time because crappy food sometimes is easier to eat. Overall it was a good discussion and I understand his fears/concerns even though I don't particularly care for his method of delivery LOL.

Ruthxxx
04-27-2012, 07:16 AM
I seem to be constantly on the fly without time to do "indies". i do apologize but MODing in here takes time and I do post an "everyday doings" over on the South Beach Diet Daily Chat thread.

BGL was 5.6 this morning after dinner at Jack's party last night. They had pizza (no salad) and then birthday cake! I came home and wanted some healthier food but realized it was not true hunger, but a desire for greens. Today will definitely be a better day. This morning's smoothie includes spinach as well as the usual fruit, whey powder and ground flax. I'm off to town for a haircut and have a tuna/chick pea salad ready to serve for lunch on GREENS!

geoblewis
04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Olive Garden style Pasta e Fagioli soup Kellye, that is my favorite soup there! Can't have any because 1) I can't stop myself when I eat it and 2) can't stop the breadsticks either! Would love to see your recipe, if you don't mind. I'd have to do it without beans and pasta...I guess that's called turkey & vegetable soup!

My fbg was 115 this morning. I've had almost the exact same breakfast three days in a row, but this morning, 2-hr pp was 12 point higher than the two days before. I find that odd. The only difference was that I ate slightly less fat this morning.

I am off to a full day of activity...hope you're all doing well.

pattygirl63
04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I haven't been around very much. Just been busy so just take time to read.
Still hanging in there. Hope to be back for Indiviuals soon.

Kellye - thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to remember that.

Y'all have a great weekend.

Bigbeautifulmama2012
04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Good morning all! I had a fasting blood draw this am. My foot is well the same, Date night with the hubby...praying that I can be good at dinner and the movies.

cbmare
04-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Hello all. I haven't been in here for a bit because I feel like crap. I started cramping over the weekend. At first I thought it might be because of my "greens" addiction. However, I started thinking it was my diverticulosis becoming diverticulitis. I don't know what I've eaten to cause it. I have had a few nuts but I've chewed them to the point of becoming a nut butter. I don't eat seeds. I haven't had any corn. What have I eaten to cause this flair?

Anyway, the pain was getting worse and I finally went to the doctor. She was upset because I haven't had any bloodwork since November. I remarked that she hadn't ordered any and I didn't know I was supposed to have it. I don't know what all she ordered but they took 6 vials. The radiology center called this morning and I have a CT Scan set up for this afternoon.

I'm only a generic form of Cipro. If you've ever taken Cipro you know that you can't have very many greens. I can't take my multi and have to watchout with my calcium and other minerals. I have to do this for at least 2 weeks. We'd gone to the farmer's market over the weekend and stocked up on greens. I had cleaned them all quite well when we got home and they are in the fridge ready for immediate use. I will cook them and freeze them for later.

My numbers are up a bit. I'm thinking that chronic pain can make it be up a bit. My dr. did say that greens only lower the number on a temporary basis. I don't think so. When I'm into my greens at least 2 times/day, my numbers at night and in the AM are better.

Right now my FBS is in the 120s. I wish I could keep them all under 100 all day.

Sorry for the rambling. Georgia, I'm trying to follow what you are doing. I am not on insulin but want to get my numbers down and I, too, think that I should almost eliminate carbs.

red65
04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Kellye, that is my favorite soup there! Can't have any because 1) I can't stop myself when I eat it and 2) can't stop the breadsticks either! Would love to see your recipe, if you don't mind. I'd have to do it without beans and pasta...I guess that's called turkey & vegetable soup!

I can't post a link and the site won't let me copy it but if you search topsecretrecipes.com/Olive-Garden-Pasta-e-Fagioli-Recipe. it should come up. I have to say that as written this is VERY close to the real deal. By looking it up you can read the reviews on it and modifications that others have made.

I am going to also do my daily check in. Morning fg reading was 130 (major move in right direction for me!!) and no other testings as we took our truck in for minor repairs and it turned into HOURS (the shop closed before it was done so we have to go back tomorrow and pick it up. Gah!!!!

Nothing else to report at this time so I hope you all have a good day.

Hugs,
Kellye

cbmare
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I just got a call from my dr. The results of the CT scan are not there yet. I didn't expect it there so soon. However, she said everyone of my numbers on my blood work look good. My A1 whatever it is was 6.0. Sure beats the almost 9 in November.

I have a stupid question. Is a recipe for a Type 1 totally OK for a Type 2?

I'm watching an old Nate show and Sam Talbot, a cheftestant from Top Chef was on there. He is a Type 1 and has a cookbook out there. He uses agava as a sweetener in his cooking. I've been trying to avoid all of that stuff. Do you?

Oh, my reading when I got home was 78. Let's see how much it goes up with our meaty cheesy crescent roll and salad dinner. No greens right now.

Jane
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

Kellye - I googled the soup, and wrote down the recipe. My family will love this, I'm sure. Thanks! Aww, I'm glad you found out the reasons behind the words from your husband. It's obvious he loves you, and wants to keep you around for a long, long time.

I big hello to all others. :wave:

I overate carbs last night at a special dinner, and my fbs was lower today that it has been for over a week. I know that's just a fluke, but sheesh, it just doesn't seem fair, lol.

Have a good weekend!

geoblewis
04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Mare, you need to remember that type 1s are always on insulin so they get to counteract things like agave nectar right when they eat it by giving themselves a bit more insulin. I had a friend, very tiny woman on an insulin pump. Whenever she came to my house, she anticipated getting fed with something yummy (my housekeeper baked a lot) and as soon as she walked in the door, I'd hear her beeping as she increased her insulin dosage in anticipation of a carby, sugary treat.

Our body still reads agave nectar as sugar. I like to tell myself that I can have something if I want it, but every time my blood sugar goes over 140, I'm killing off pancreatic beta cells. So maybe a big weight lifting workout first, then wait an hour, and then when my bg is down in the 70s I might consider having something carby with protein and fat. But I am not known for thinking ahead that far! So I usually skip the carby thing altogether.

But your A1c is doing so much better now! That's awesome! And your morning numbers are getting better too. You've made great progress. I'm so sad that your stomach is not cooperating for you with the greens. As an alternative, you might consider taking a phytonutrient supplement like spirulina or a greens supplement. I take that when I can't have enough veggies in the day. Maybe your stomach would do better on that.

My fbg this morning has crept up again to 119. That tells me that eating after 7 really isn't good for me at all, because yesterday I was really good with the carbs and the calories, but I ate dinner at 8:30 pm. So, I guess I won't be eating dinner with my kids any more. :(

Today my youngest and I are heading out to Roseville. We're doing an overnight and we're going shopping. Gonna hit Nordstrom's Rack first to find some stylish deals, I hope. I need to get my travel wardrobe put together. I'm not sure what to buy just yet, maybe I'm just going to go looking, maybe I'm pick up some size 20/22s for a great price as motivation to stay on track. I'm almost there. If I don't get there in four weeks, I may have to go back for something just a little larger. But I definitely want to get a cute crossbody bag to hold my passport and other travel essentials. And I need a tote that will hold my laptop, Kindle and a change of clothes. I always bring that along, in case my luggage disappears.

So I will see you again on Monday morning. Hope to have walked off a couple pounds by then! Have a great weekend!

Bigbeautifulmama2012
04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Well popcorn was ate, I had three dinner rolls, and steak topped with blue cheese. Oh not to mention the two cherry cokes. I tried to be good but that darn popcorn smell of movie theatre's get me every time. Oh well I had fun and its not like its an every day occurrence

Bigbeautifulmama2012
04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh yeah I weighed this morning and was back up to 285...darn popcorn.

pattygirl63
04-28-2012, 03:59 PM
WELCOME to the Newbies!!!

I'm back to doing the very thing I've been avoiding. Still doing Intermittent Fasting or Feeding whichever you want to call it. I'll just call it IF. It appears to me the ones who are really successful with this seem to count calories, carbs or points. I want to be more precise and with almost everything having the calorie count on the label, I'm counting calories. Don't have to join anything or spend any money for membership. I did join Fitday, but I find that some of the foods I use are not on the food list and it's a lot of trouble to try to put it in so I'll just use it to read their discussion boards.

Bigbeautifulmama2012 - I do the same thing when it comes to popcorn even the 96% FF... for me it is the salt. In fact, I've been on a salty foods kick of late and the scales are up again. It will take me a few days to get them moving down again. I'm sure your's will come back down as well.

My beautician wants me to joing the YMCA gym and go with her. She says I can go for a week for free as her guest and join for about $41 a month which I think is very reasonable. She says one of the Y's here also offers aqua arobics which I've always wanted to do, but I'm not sure I can swing it right now and not sure when I would be able to go much less pay for it. We're still paying for everything with the kids living here and money is really tight. I would love to do it if I could figure out how and when.

Y'all have a great weekend.

pattygirl63
04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Changed my mind. I decided that if I really want this to work then I need to go ahead and put my foods in Fitday so I can get the calories right and also chart weight etc. I plan to get this weight off and that is that. Oh, I check my FBS once when I get up and move around and it is always a little high at that time. Then I check it again just before I eat my first meal around 1 o'clock and it was 120 today. So I'm very happy about that.

Ruthxxx
04-29-2012, 06:44 AM
I've been remiss in checking in and not being as mindful when I eat. My scale read 181.4 this morning and I had a BGL of 6.4 which is high for me. I did not take my meds last night which was not a smart move after a day of poor eating. (Lunch at a pub, wedding reception goodies and then starters and ham and baked beans at friend Heather's!)

Things will be better today as I just have to get a handle on my weight again. I need to use my Fitday and FOLLOW it or I'll be moving back up the scale again! I have the knowledge but not the determination. :shrug:

Riemontana
04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Happy Sunday!

fbs at 78 this morning and my weight is still stable but higher than I want. I have enjoyed a good weekend with a poker party, lots of pool practice, and family time. Tonight I have a barbque at a friends house. Luckily, they are low carbing people so I know that the menu will be steak and veggies. :carrot:

Ruth, I agree with you that tracking food is the way to control eating. Every time that I stop, I get off track. I think it is really easy to say, "I just got a little off today" and then the "todays" start getting more numerous. Tracking keeps me honest with myself.

Trish, I use livestrong.com for my tracker. It is called "myplate". It is a free site and I find it to be really user friendly.

bbm, I always enjoy the movie popcorn. I hope you had fun.

Georgia, enjoy the shopping outing!

Jane, maybe your carbs were pretty good for the whole day? or maybe they were carbs that you don't react to very much? Whatever the reason, I am glad that you had a good reading.

Mare, Good Test Results! Yay. I know that there are arguments out there that agave and honey are lower glycemic sweeteners but they are still sweeteners. I am constantly amazed at recipes that are "diabetic friendly". :?: Usually, if I want sweets, I just pick appropriate sweets and eat very small portions. And yes, I know type ones that simply adjust their dose based on what they eat.

Mad, I hope you are having a good weekend. Sorry to anyone that I missed.

Rie

pattygirl63
04-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Was hard to get up and go to church this morning. I've been so tired lately. However, once I get moving, I'm usually okay so I did go, I thought maybe it was because I'm getting back on my diet, but it could be spring fever since I heard others at church talking about how they were feeling the same way.

Happy to say that my ticker is almost accurate again and FBS is coming down... even the 1st reading of the day is lower and I am hoping that eventually the 1st reading will be normal. (I buy extra strips on my own to do the second reading.) Didn't get a really accurate 2nd reading today though because I forgot and took a sip of my coffee and later sip of my milk just before I took it. I can drink the coffee after 1st reading and still get a good reading later for my 2nd reading is like a fasting because that 1 c of coffee doesn't raise my bs. The second reading I do just before eating my 1st meal is always lower. Yesterday was 120. However, with the 2 slip ups today and due to the fact that I do eat earlier on Sunday, it was 133 so I consider that to be really good.

Ruthie and Rie - I agree that tracking makes things so much easier. I use a lot of off brands or new things that are not on Fitday automatically. Actually, I am amazed at some of the brands that are not on there. I wonder if it is because I'm using the free Fitday. Anyway, I'm having to put all of the info on them in myself, but I think it is worth it because it will be much easier to track once I get them on there. I'm a creature of habit so won't take me long.

Once I see the lowest amount of calories that I allow myself each day, I start slowing down because I really don't want to go over it too much. I find it is really easy to make my plan for the day using Fitday now that I'm getting the hang of it. Seeing that low end calorie really helps because I know that is where I want to stop. Then I print out the plan and I'm ready to go. If there are any changes, it is easy to go back on FD and make my adjustments so that I stay within my calories.

I guess I cannot take the Metformin. I've been off of it for quite some time, but decided to try taking it again a few days ago. Three or four days after taking it all the spasms started coming back. So I'm giving it up. I've gained weight since my last appt so I am thinking about canceling the appt and make another one for June. I may still have a little bit of a gain, but it will give me time to see if I can get the bs under control with diet and exercise.

Mad - Hope you and DD are having a really great time together.

Have a great day.

Jane
04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
In a hurry, but, Trish, if you use the Lose It! app for your phone, you can scan the barcode of any product you have, that isn't already in the database. So very handy!! The entire app is super user-friendly, and tracks calories, carbs, fats, fiber, sodium, etc. plus exercise, weight, and so on.

fatmad
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
HI friends, sorry to be MIA so much lately. I am really off track, after being really good for so long. I have been overeating, and overcarbing a lot lately, not tracking properly and not exercising properly. I think I said last week I was going to get my butt in gear but didn't. Went from almost obsessive tracking, to retroactive (and less accurate) tracking. blah.
Weight is up a smidge, but needs to get down again. Going to plan eating for tomorrow, will do atkins, because I think there is a buffet tomorrow night with DD roommate's family. Ok enough whining from me.
I have been reading lots and hope you can get back on track Trish. I know there are lots of ups and downs in your life, and if IF works, thats great, but I definitely think planning and calorie counting are a big part of it. Today, I got too hungry and that really trips me up.
Mare, sorry you are feeling crummy, I need to lower the carbs back down too. If I go too high, I am always sorry.

Ok, committment to visit more often again this week. ttfn

pattygirl63
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Trish, I use livestrong.com for my tracker. It is called "myplate". It is a free site and I find it to be really user friendly.

Thanks for sharing this with me, Rie. I switched over to livestrong and using myplate as it already has many of the brands that I use and even some of the store brands that I use were compatible with other store brands. Just makes it easier. It doesn't let me set goals like Fitday unless I pay to join, but it still will chart the weight loss and I like the way it shows the # of cals it takes to maintain my weight so I know I don't want to go that high and know where I want to stop. Kind of mind thing with me that will help me to track better. Also had some good info. Had an article about Intermittent Fasting that I found to be interesting and helpful.

Ruthxxx
04-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Fatmad said:HI friends, sorry to be MIA so much lately. I am really off track, after being really good for so long. I have been overeating, and overcarbing a lot lately, not tracking properly and not exercising properly. and took the words right out of my mouth. yesterday I ate three, yes THREE, avocados as a "snack" and was shocked when I finally checked the calories and fat on Firday. This month has been a disaster but May will be better.

For the record, FBGL was 5.2 and weight was 180.4, up over two pounds from my 178.0 April 1. Time fro a serious self-talk and maybe a slap upside the head!

Riemontana
04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
hello friends!

fbs at 91 this morning. I ate a good breakfast of fiber cereal and an apple. I didn't work out because I have really achy joints today. Bummer. Last night my ds cooked lobster tails for an early mothers day present for me. Yum. Yes, I ate mine with butter. I consoled myself with the idea that it was carb free. :)

I have a busy week ahead. I am hoping for the strength to manage myself and my life in a healthy manner.

Mad, nice to see you back. I know that you will get back on track. Do you know what happened? Maybe just stress? The wedding is soon, right?

Ruth, I have been in denial about the weight ticking upward. Obviously, "temporary" weight gain doesn't stay for long. :mad:

Trish, glad that you like livestrong. I also use the recipe tracker to put in my own combinations. It is really easy to use. Sorry that you are having metformin trouble. Perhaps another med, like Januvia? Even if your weight is up, maybe you should consider keeping the appointment.

Hi Jane! I have a friend who uses loseit. Without a smart phone, it isn't as user friendly, just my opinion.

Well, off to face the day!

Rie

Jane
04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Hello all,

fatmad and Ruth - May will be better for you both!

Trish - you are on the right track again, and that's half the battle.

Rie - I think you are so right the Lose It wouldn't be as user friendly w/o a smartphone. How nice of your ds to cook for you!

Busy week ahead for me. The temps are up and the sky is blue, so I hope to get outside for a while later.

Have a good day. :)

pattygirl63
04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
:wave:Good Morning Chickies,

Ruthie - It appears that all or a lot of us had problems with April gains. Not sure what my problem was, but I know I can't let things continue as it was. So it's time to make some assessments, pull myself up by my bootstrings so to speak and make/commit to some changes. Livingstrong.com is going to be a big help with this.

The article on IF on livingstrong really gave me some new insights. There are many different ways to do IF. I can choose to do the eating window of 8 hrs and fast for 16 hrs although I read that women should eat 10 hrs fro some reason. I would love to stop eating before 8 pm, but I know I'll go a little longer so will make my cut off around 8:30. This means I can start eating as early as 10:30 in the morning. However, most days I will not start eating until 11:30 or 12:30. This gives more flexibility and will fit into days when things/days are going weird. I also read somewhere to find the amount of calories you would need to eat to be at the weight you want to be and make that the #of calories to eat everyday. I have often wondered if that would work. So I'm going to do that. It just makes sense to me to get used to eating a certain amount of calories each day and when you get to your goal weight you won't be tempted to get off plan because it will have become just part of your lifestyle because it will never feel like a "diet". I don't have time for formal exercise at a gym however I can incorporate exercise throughout my day. According to the articles I read, this way of eating also lowers our stress level and God knows I need that as well as bs and bp. So this is my own "personal" plan.

Rie - I decide to hit the "myplateD" and it is for diabetics and you can even keep up with your FBS readings on there. I did find out how to set my own calorie settings and goal weight. I guess it just takes time to learn it. I really do enjoy using it. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to edit when I put in the wrong time of day or delete something I put into tracking. I'm sure there is a FQ I'll have to look into.

All of you guys who are MIA, please check in. If your having problems... this is the place to be. We want to hear from you.

Busy day today. DD & her hubby are here today, But I got up early anyway and made my tea and put in a load of laundry this morning. I need to get a routine into my life again. So Jaxx and I are sitting here with him watching BabyFirst while I do my thing. DH has docs appt with a skin doc. Our doc couldn't tell if a mole was okay or not so we are checking it out. Then we go across the street to reg doc office for his blood thinner check. I have to remember not to feed him any broccoli the day before he goes for it as it throws the reading off. :dizzy: DD said that he needs to eat broccoli on the same day each week and that won't happen. So great to have him feeling good again.

Y'all have a Marvelous Monday.

pattygirl63
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Jane,

Guess I was writing when you were. Yes, I think things are beginning to click for me. I have a Smartphone and unlimited texting. I hadn't thought about keeping in touch that way till now. I am having a real problem learning how to use it yet. DSIL set up my Google acct and I can't remember what he put in. I would love to use the scanning thing, but I'm afraid I'm not there yet with this thing, my smartphone is smarter than me.:o:?:

I enjoyed pics of Jackson's BD on FB. We are having beautiful weather too and Jaxxon and I are at the place that we can get out of the house and go places just the 2 of us. He loves the outdoor and loves getting out.

You have a great day & week.

red65
04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone!

Hope all are doing well today. Thought I would pop in on the last day of this thread to check in. No fbs to report as I have forgotten to check it this morning. The two prior mornings it has been in the 170s and I have caught the midday readings in the 200s. Sigh.

As a follow up to my post about hubby's reaction to my weight drop, he and I are both now a bit concerned and I am going to be monitoring my weight closely. The next day was 244, then 243 and then 241 the past two mornings. Earlier that week I had been holding steady in the lower 250s so this is a substantial drop and I can't point to anything I have done that much different that would account for 10lbs in a week's time.

Because my blood sugar is still not controlled and spikes so much I have a feeling that the weightloss is tied into that, which isn't good. The other thing I guess would be the diabetes meds but why all the sudden did I drop?

I think I am developing diabetic neuropathy in my left foot (the leg that swells so much and stays mottled looking). It keeps feel like someone is holding a fire to the top of that foot where it joins onto the ankle. It isn't constant, it comes and goes for varying lengths of duration but very painful. I've peripheral neuropathy for several years now and take gabapentin for it (generic of Neurontin). I upped it a little and it seems that the foot pain is much calmer so I will need to have a discussion with my doc about that.

I will be making my Olive Garden style Pasta e Fagoli this week (probably tomorrow) and cannot wait. My blood sugar responds so well to this soup and it tastes so fantastic. If any of you try it (Jane, Georgia and anyone else) I would love to hear what you and yours thought of it.

I got to spend some time with my son, DIL and 15 m/o grandson Saturday and had a wonderful time. He is growing up so fast and has a great personality so he had me laughing at his baby antics the whole time.

Anyway, that is all that is going on here. Look forward to any more updates.

See you next month!
Kellye

fatmad
04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Kellye, I think I have read that beans and lentils (pulses?) are really good for blood sugars for some people. They are really healthy in general, and since you love the soup, its a great way to get them in for you. Hope the foot gets better soon, are you also taking B12 and b complex supplements for it? (if they don't interfere with your gabapentin?)
I had an on plan day, good breakfast with greek yogurt and fibre 1 and fruit, then DD veggie chili with turkey meatballs in it for me!:D
I got to yoga after work today, and am cooking supper as we speak, It is pizza, (11 points!) but I have the points and I also made a large salad to enjoy with it to make sure I fill up on the veggies.
Rie, I suspect that the deliveries I attended last week affected me. I had a couple of all nighters, and have been having some insomnia and difficulty getting to sleep since, so I expect that is it. WOuld like to be back to ticker for weigh in on Wednesday.
SO RUTH, lets get back on track together. The salad stuff at the store is getting to be better quality and doesn't travel as far to get here now. Stock up and munch!
Big hellos to everyone, not enough time for all the personals, but will check in more this week so will get to you eventually!

Ruthxxx
05-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Here's the link to the May Thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/258108-diabetes-chat-may.html#post4315284