Exercise! - at the lake to lose weight?

View Full Version : at the lake to lose weight?

Alyj89
03-31-2012, 10:54 PM
with the temps here ALREADY soaring to 90 tomorrow I'm thinking the lake temps will be tolerable soon. I'm lucky to live ~15 minutes from two different lakes with beautiful scenery and I do love going.

I know swimming is a good exersize, right? when I go to te lake to swim I don't like, do concentrated breast stokes and laps and stuff. I typically just... swim or tread water. I'm wondering what I can do that's more ideal for a lake and not a shallow pool with clear isles and start/end points? does regular just, fun swimming/floating (on back, in place, not on a float) burn a mentionable amount of calories?

gggirls
03-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Isn't the water still really cold though? I love Beaver Lake - hope that is one of yours!

Alyj89
03-31-2012, 11:13 PM
oh yeah, right now it is. it'll be a few weeks yet before I try going. but last summer it also got this hot early and the water was sable about a month in a half earlier than usually. actually it was HOT so it was probably fine before that too. I guess ita an upside to the absolutely horrendous temps of last year. we didn't even really have a winter this time and it's already 90 so I'm expecting much of the same !!

I live by Quachita actually :) I believe its rep is one of the top 3 cleanest lakes in the nation? it's extreamly beautiful out there that's for sure. love it.

sensualappeal
04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm terrified of swimming in open waters. Just terrified. I'm sure the pool exercises could be easily translated to open water though.

fitness4life
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Get a noodle and do weight resistance exercises while treading deep water. Also, do laps, deep underwater swimming and jumping from the lake floor in water (like a squat jump). Do whatever you can think of for an hour.