Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default #184 Diet Shockers

Good Evening all...

Have you been shocked by your diet so far? Things you thought were healthy but aren't? or vice versa?

wow...
I had some broccoli slaw from the deli the other day - wonderful! I go to look up the recipe online - almost 500 calories per serving?! No wonder it tasted so good. Next time I'll have a burger, thank you very much.

I tend to use a lot more spices and sauces now.. surpise.. gravy (I make just a powder mix with hot water) for a 1/4 cup it's only 35 calories - so worth it to me. Us Canadians love our gravy. My dh swears we love to put some sort of sauce all over our food

Another shocker:
I've been really trying to see how I react to certain foods. I used to think food was just food... never put much thought to how it works for me. Ice-Cream does nothing for me.. but what's worse - it makes me hungry. I have really tried to limit my intake there. I've noticed when ever I've had ice-cream (even the proper amount) I go off plan. Is that weird?

What has shocked you?

Dana
Old 03-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #2  
Searching

The nutritional information for Burger King (thier mayo must be made out of LARD) and Arbys. Never again. No thank you.

My diet has been going very well. Bill has an authorized foods list and as long as you eat straight from it. No problems.

Miss Chris<----can actually eat 1/2 cup of ice cream and be happy but don't just giver her 1 PBand J! LOL
Old 03-12-2003, 10:22 AM   #3  

Wow, I never thought of ice cream of trigger foods, maybe because it has always been a treat for me, and often is too sweet so I only eat about a 1/2 cup at a time (or less, I can actually eat just one spoonful and be happy).
For me, I've noticed that my trigger foods are fried foods, not french fries, but more like crab rangoon or fried mushrooms. I can't have just one like I'm supposed to, I have to go hog wild and eat anything and everything in sight.
Miss Chris - I have to agree about the Burger King thing, but I never eat mayo anyway, and LOVE the Chicken Whopper, Jr and just a little piece of information for you - my little sis worked at BK over the summer and said that the chicken whopper and the chicken whopper, jr use the exact same chicken breasts. The only difference between the two is the size of the bun.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:33 AM   #4  
Student of the Hoof

Shockers - How few calories Zatarain's Dirty Rice mix has. How few calories Chili has. How MANY calories Arby's has!! Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches!!

Biggest shock of all - I can actually EAT (1200-1400 calories a day) and still lose weight! It's a miracle!
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39 AM   #5  

A few years ago, when I was working in an office, I went to McD's for lunch and grabbed a HAPPY MEAL. I thought it wouldn't be too bad since it was all just small amounts - I had a small Dr Pepper with it instead of a diet drink. I looked up the points AFTER I ate it (bad idea!) and found I had consumed 15 points in one sitting!

And it wasn't even very good!

I've been shocked the other way too - yesterday I learned a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (dh likes it better than the processed kind) is only 2 points. I can spread that stuff a L-O-N-G way and because there's lots of protein in it, I don't get hungry for a while.

BTW, Dana, I just came off a low-carb diet and I think stuf with lots of sugar in it (like ice cream) makes you hungrier because it's high in carbs. There's some sort of insulin release or something (according to the _Carb Addicts Diet_ book). I try to pay attention to this, even though I don't limit my carbs per se.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:23 PM   #6  

Hi,

This isn't a shocker as to finding out that this food is horrible-it was finding out just HOW horrible.

A SMALL chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard from dairy queen (oh, help the one near us is opening again soon) has almost 700 calories and 24 grams of fat. Wonder how much fat and calories are in the larger ones???

I think for weight watchers they're like 15 points for the small!

Sherry
Old 03-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i was shocked to see how good a chicken breast is for you. 200 calories, pretty much. and then as long as i bake it with some sort of sauce on top that is low cal, bam! great meal.

peanut butter shocked me. 200 calories for 2 tablespoons, damn.

and, when i first started out, how low cal soups are was a pleasant surprise. =)
Old 03-12-2003, 04:03 PM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

Height: 5'5"

Mine happened just yesterday...went to the Chinese buffet with hubby for lunch and thought I was being SOOO good...until I came home and found out that General Tzao's chicken is 15 FRIGGIN' POINTS PER CUP!

Other, more pleasant surprises...a small scoop of Baskin-Robbins' peanut-butter-n-chocolate is only 4 WW points...baked potatoes smothered in 0-point salsa are way better than potatoes in butter and sour cream...Skinny Cows ice cream sandwiches are expensive but worth it.

Last edited by Jennelle; 03-12-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:52 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

The good Shocks:
-Orange Roughy has 90 calories per serving... and a serving is TWO huge pieces!
-Fat Free Cool Whip is 35 calories and satisfies a creamy craving.
-Amonds are yummy, satisfing and good for you!
-Cooking is much more fun than I remember it.

The Bad Shocks:
-A Steak Quesadilla from Rubios (the healthy mexican take-out place) is 1140 calories!!!
-All About Girl Scout Cookies are 150 calories... for one stinkin cookie.
-I'm addicted to regular pop.... the stuff with sugar in it. Being the addict that I am, I can't have it near me.
-The scale never moves when you're constantly watching it.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #10  
JML
Success Story!!!

Bad shocks:

Homemade chocolate chip cookies: don't remember the number, but it's bad.

M&M's. I love the things.

Good shocks:

I can keep in my calorie range (1200-1600), feel like I'm eating things I enjoy, and not be hungry!!!

Strawberries, fruits and veggies are low cal, tasty and good for me.

I can have wine, chocolate, and goodies as long as I watch the amount.

A teaspoonful of honey is a nice sweet tasting treat
Old 03-13-2003, 11:29 AM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hey, there are some really good things on the positive lists that I did not know about! That's so cool!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #12  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

ok, my good shocks...
1.) Tofu Rocks!

2.) Soy Delicious Decadence frozen dessert... tastes like B&J's or Godiva, half the calories...no cholesterol, no dairy at all... and, I believe, no sugar, I think it's sweetened with brown rice syrup.

3.) I can live without a constant stream of butter, sugar, and other crap in my diet

4.) I found a diet soda that I LIKE... diet pepsi twist...not as cola as it could be, but not diety tasting

Bad Shocks:

1.) It doesn't take long off of my usual *mostly* vegetarian existance to gain a LOT of weight.

2.) Chinese food, or what passes for chinese food here, loaded, loaded, LOADED with fat... *sigh* sesame chicken, one of my favorite non veg treats...

3.) The amount of calories and fat in (frozen) vegetarian lasagna... I'd be better off eating it with beef...
Old 03-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #13  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Butter is better for me than margarine, diet or otherwise. However, I'm not willing to spend the fat calories on real butter, so I just use my ICBINB spray.

Smaller meals less frequently shrink my stomach a bit, and I have trouble overeating.

If I'm going to cheat & have a soda, I have a real one (not all that diet chemically tasting crap--I hate it) & only drink about half of it. I've been throwing the rest out. And for the most part, I've been having LaCroix sparkling water, which is calorie free. And I often can't finish a whole can.

Making my own Chinese food is virtually fat free. I steam a bag of frozen Oriental Blend veggies, add a can of mushrooms, a can of sliced water chestnuts & a can of bamboo shoots. I heat all that in a big frying pan & add garlic pepper, then some sort of meat. (Shrimp, steak strips, chicken breast strips, or leave it vegetarian) I serve it over brown rice & that is not only 1 dinner, it's 2 lunches too.

The bad stuff:

All the saboteurs.

How easy it is to stay off the wagon once you've fallen off.

Stress eating is a fact of life, not a theory anymore.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Height: 5'0"

Just wanted to share a picture of my little girl. This was taken today
Old 03-14-2003, 12:01 AM   #15  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

Height: 5'5"

Too cute! (She knows it, too, doesn't she? )
Closed Thread