Exercise! - Starting C25K...ADVICE PLEASE!!!

View Full Version : Starting C25K...ADVICE PLEASE!!!

free1
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
It's official. I'm starting the C25K program this Sunday. I'm excited but SCARED out of my mind. I've never really run before....I tried short bursts during walks in the fall. As many of you know, I started my weight loss journey above 284 pounds and a size 22/24 (closer to a 24). I refuse to weigh myself because it messes with me mentally but I am now a REGULAR 14 and actually bought (and could fit) some size 12s today.

I started with Walk Away the Pounds and then moved to Tae Bo which I've been doing regularly (the whole video at full length). I alternate between the slower ones and more intermediate ones. My cardio has gotten better with Tae Bo and I can do even the "hard" workouts now without feeling like my heart is going to jump out of my chest.

I've been looking through the new runners sticky and got some good advice there. However, any more suggestions from anyone with experience or who may have used or is doing the program now?

My goal is to run a 5K before the summer is over (can't believe I said that). After that, I want to try a Les Mills Body Pump/Body Step program at my local gym. I think I've gone crazy......

defenestrator
03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
I made it through the C25k when I weighed about 240 last fall. One of the things that I found difficult about it was that I needed to build strength in my legs in order to run for any length of time. I think that the average C25K-er is just making cardiovascular improvements, but for me my muscles fatigued long before I was out of breath.

What it took for me was expanding the workouts so that I was doing the running for the 20-30 minutes that the program called for but then continuing to walk for another 30-60 minutes. I just couldn't get any improvement with 20-30 minutes three times a week.

The first time I did the program it took me about 15 weeks. I had to repeat weeks 2-3 and then got stuck for a long time on the week that you go from the 8 minute runs to the 20 minute run. After that it was smooth sailing.

chunksoflove
03-30-2012, 03:01 PM
I just did the Week 1 Day 1 today. I only made it through 4/6 bursts and had to walk the rest. I am approx 260lb, I've never ran before and I don't know how to breathe when running... so I struggled. But I am going to keep going, even if I have to repeat a lot of days.

chunksoflove
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Oh, and if you have an iphone, there is a FREE app that tells you when to walk/run. You can even play your own music in the background! I thought it was cool :)

search for get running in the app store and there will be a free one in the top 5 of that search.

free1
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
THANKS SOOOO MUCH EVERYONE.....Will look for the app today.

defenestrator
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
chunksoflove -- I had a hard time starting out too. You'll be surprised by what you can do by just the end of the first week, though. My rule of thumb was that the last workout of the week had to be pretty easy for me to accomplish before I would move on to the following week.

I'm running 5ks now, albeit slowly, and I still like running in intervals better than 35 minutes all the way through. Less boring that way. But I am much faster and stronger than I was when I started the program. You can do it!

free1
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Did the running help with weight loss/body changes? I'm concerned about bulking in my legs....

serendipityberry
03-30-2012, 06:42 PM
oh yeah, running is great for busting belly fat :) My advice is not to be afraid to extend the wks a bit. I modified a bit. Push yourself, but don't feel like a failure if you can't do the exact program. Eat a complex carb before running and protein after. Look for proper running strides on YouTube. This helped me a ton! You will get shin splints FAST if you don't! Finally, remember that running is a mental game. Learn to keep pushing and you will see that you eventually break through where you can just keep going for miles.

chunksoflove
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Good advice everyone. Thanks for the motivation

seagirl
03-31-2012, 03:58 PM
I've done it, still working on building my foundation of strong shins and muscles. I have shin splints and need to ice them before and after running. I still go back and do walk/run switches.

I haven't changed my eating at all but can tell that it's decreasing fat from my belly and shaping (not bulking) my legs and hips.

Be sure to cross train with core work and strength training. These will help you running.

free1
03-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks soooo much everyone. My first day is tomorrow around 6:30 a.m. Yeah, early for a Sunday. I'll let everyone know how it goes....

Serendipity....Headed to youtube now! :)

Periwinkle8
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I just did my first C25K day today! So glad I'm not alone. Defenestrator was my role model (thank you!) from when she posted about her 5K on the 40+ board. I figured I can do it, too, even though I'm also terrified. I hate running and have shied away from it in the past, but I figure if I keep the milage relatively low and ease in, I can do it. I'm at 197 and seriously out of shape, but I used the Iphone app today and it was awesome. Told me when to walk and when to run and I could listen to music at the same time. I also just ordered an armband for my Iphone, so I figure I'll be all set.

My running pace was 15/5 minute miles and my walking pace was 16.5 minute miles, if that gives you ANY idea of just how slow my running is. But oh, well--lots of room for improvement!

Idea: should we make this thread our C25K check in? We could post about workouts and how long they took and our progress, etc? I could really use some motivation? We could also start another thread from scratch and invite others to join--thoughts?

~Peri

Dernhelm
04-02-2012, 07:04 AM
This is great information everyone, thanks for posting! I started the C25k last week and am just finishing up Week 1 and about to start Week 2. I've never been a runner but my sister lost a ton of weight this way and is now running marathons. I'm hoping it will help me build up endurance and leg strength as well.

It's encouraging to know that it helps with belly fat; that seems to creep up so quickly on me these days and it's getting so annoying :(

Right now my boyfriend is coming with me and is acting as my human stopwatch which is great but I think that as it gets harder, I'll want to fly solo to save myself the embarassment if things go wrong. I've downloaded the podcasts and hear they're great for timing/pacing.

Good luck everyone - if so many people have had this much luck, surely there's hope to be found. :)

DrivenByAmbition
04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I want to start, but I'm worried about my weight loss efforts coming to a halt. I just want to be a normal BMI before something like that happens. I might try anyways. We will see. Let me know how it goes!

begoodjen
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I started c25k maybe about 8-9 weeks ago or so. I wasn't afraid to spend more than one week on each "week". The first week was really hard for me - I could barely run for a minute and I was thinking, "how will I ever run 5K?" Well I still don't know the answer to that question, but last night I started week 4, so I now know I am able to run for 5 minutes straight!! I am so proud of myself and can't wait to run my first 5k. I am aiming for September.

Jen

free1
04-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Just checking in. I finished W1 today and will start W2 on Saturday. I made it through and didn't have to stop. However, again, today felt harder than day 2. I think I may be running too fast. Also, I choose a beautiful park near my home, however, if I don't time it right one of my runs is on a mini hill. (It is truly mini but I can feel the difference). But, I still felt strong just more tired.

This may sound crazy but I tried on jeans at a local store (a size 12 that fit...that is huge from a 24 a year ago). My legs actually looked more tone to me. It may have been in my head but I have a HUGE loose skin issue. Today was the first time that I saw some hope....Don't know if the Tae Bo is finally paying off or if the runs made a difference.

So far, haven't thrown in the towel yet :) Here's to Week 2.....

BEGOODJEN....Cheering you on. 5 minutes straight seems so foreign to me :)

DRIVENBYAMBITION....Come on, jump in!

DERNHELM....We are almost at the same point (I think I'm a day behind you). I LOVE the Ipod App. It tells you when to go and stop while listening to your own music. I paid $2.99. There's one for Android too.

PERIWINKLE....Would love to post progress and keep up to date with everyone.

tattooedmomma
04-06-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one doing this when it "shouldn't" be done. I'm 5'2, 242 lbs, a smoker, have had surgery in both knees, and have a tear in my left plantar fascia, BUT, I am on week 2, day 3 (today)! I am having an absolute blast doing c25k. I can't believe I can run for 1.5 minutes! I thought I needed to get my weight down before starting this program, but for me it's not true! Even with the bad knees and feet, and they still feel great.

The whole reason I decided to post here is I saw someone talking about their speed when running. The one thing that mentally allowed me to start this program is reading the faq on the c25k site. The question was "how fast should I run?" The answer to that was "as slow as possible. If you can run slower, then you're not running slow enough." Now THAT is something I can do! My current goal is to complete the whole program, then work on increasing speed and distance. It will come in time, and with weight loss it will be easier.

I went to a local running store and had a gait analysis done and got the proper shoes for my walking style. I haven't had shin splints since. I use the android app, and it makes the 30 minutes seem like no time at all. Some days I actually do the day twice and burn about 1000 calories doing so.

My first week I went up a couple pounds in weight, but noticed my hands were swollen. About 5 days later, the scale finally started going the right direction, so now I'm not stepping on it. But, my clothes are getting loose, I have more energy, and I can even sit on the floor. It may not sound like much, but for me these are huge.

Keep up the good work ladies. There will always be challenges, but you can do it!

free1
04-07-2012, 01:10 PM
W2D1 baby....!!!

happyrunner
04-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Started the C25k program yesterday!!! Hope I'am able to run/jog a 5k in August or September...Wish me luck!!

I was reading the previous posts and I am gonna look for that YouTube video on proper strides, 'cause my chins started to hurt towards the end of my workout. I see some of you repeat some weeks but did any of you added a 4th workout day instead of adding a full week? Or because we should not workout two days in a row adding a full week is better?

See you around!

free1
04-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Hello everyone and welcome HAPPYRUNNER....I'm a newbie as well and love posting here just to stay accountable.

W2D2...and it actually felt good. Don't get me wrong, it was a challenge but it felt much better than W2D1. I am learning that this is soooo mental. Literally, I had to prepare my mind to run because I find that is what gets tired first. If W2D3 feels the same, I might actually try W3 after the rest break.

How's everyone else doing?

Luceia
04-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm so happy to have found this thread!

I started at W1D1 yesterday with my Android app (complete with hilariously patronizing british voice reminders). Tough stuff, but I made it through!

I've always wanted to run, but have told myself that there's no way my knees would hold up until I was under 200 lbs. Then I realized it was just one more excuse on the (LONG) list I was telling myself every day (right up there with 'it's a little too nippy outside to start today). So I just got up, put on my runners, and went! The only thing that hurt were my lungs, and I know that will get better with time. :)

free1
04-11-2012, 09:47 PM
W2D3 under my belt. Here's to Week 3.....

free1
04-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Guess I'll check in here as well for accountability. W3D1 under my belt :)

free1
04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Me again....W3 done. W5 on Friday....yay me!!!!

free1
04-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Accountability check-in: W4D1 done!!!! The 5 minute run wasn't that bad. I slowed down and was able to make it. Thought for sure that I'd be ready to die but it wasn't that bad!!!

NorCalClover
04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
I recently finished the 9 week C25K and it worked really well for me. I have been doing the final run (30 min. with out stopping, plus 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down) almost every day for about 2 weeks and I'm almost to where it is easy! I bought the Bridge to 10K app that pics up where the 5K one ends and gets you running toward a 10k, but I dont plan on starting that one until I really feel like the 5k is easy.

So just go for it! It works great!

BrittanieYork
04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey y'all! I was thinking of starting this week! I love this thread! And I recently posted a video in a different thread about proper running technique. This video helped me to fix my stride, but forefoot running may not be for everyone. I hope it helps some of you with questions about form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4WgQed8&feature=related

Good luck to everyone! I may start this tonight!

free1
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Me again....W4D2 done. One more run day before the dreaded W5. :)

free1
04-24-2012, 09:49 PM
W4 completely done!!!!! My calorie count was low today (not intentional, I went to the dentist). I felt like I needed more "fuel." Kept going and finished so on to the dreaded W5. Wish me well :)

free1
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Still checking in....W5d1....WOOHOOO...Can't say it was easy though :)

free1
04-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Just me I guess....I need to stay accountable though. W5D2 and I ran for 15 1/2 minutes straight. That's the longest I've ever run in MY LIFE!!!! :)

happyrunner
04-29-2012, 10:34 PM
GREAT JOB Free1!!!!

LAgreeneyes
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
I started last week and I'm enjoying it.

LAgreeneyes
04-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Oh, and if you have an iphone, there is a FREE app that tells you when to walk/run. You can even play your own music in the background! I thought it was cool :)

search for get running in the app store and there will be a free one in the top 5 of that search.

Thanks for this information. I REALLY need this app. :carrot:

ETA: I'm looking for the free download and I can't find it.

free1
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Well, I did it!!! The dreaded Week 5, Day 3. Yes, I ran for a full 20 minutes. Nice pace, no stopping and felt like I had more at the end. It was such a mental game more than a physical one!!!! I felt strong and prepared. Just think, on April 1st I was barely able to finish the 60-second runs :) Week 6 here I come...

LAGREENEYES......I absolutely LOVE the app. The coaching is great and I like not worrying about watching the clock. The app remains me to slow down and counts down the intervals for you. It also will tell you when to turn around and head home if you're running outside. I have the Get Running App...there's a free one and one that I paid $2.99 for and it let's me listen to my own music. If you go to the C25K website, they have a link to the App as well. (I think it's by Cool Runnings).

LAgreeneyes
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, I did it!!! The dreaded Week 5, Day 3. Yes, I ran for a full 20 minutes. Nice pace, no stopping and felt like I had more at the end. It was such a mental game more than a physical one!!!! I felt strong and prepared. Just think, on April 1st I was barely able to finish the 60-second runs :) Week 6 here I come...

LAGREENEYES......I absolutely LOVE the app. The coaching is great and I like not worrying about watching the clock. The app remains me to slow down and counts down the intervals for you. It also will tell you when to turn around and head home if you're running outside. I have the Get Running App...there's a free one and one that I paid $2.99 for and it let's me listen to my own music. If you go to the C25K website, they have a link to the App as well. (I think it's by Cool Runnings).

This may sound like a crazy question, so forgive me. So, I can get the app but downloading it on my phone or do I have to use my computer? Is it only for I-Phones? I have a Windows phone. Can I get the app that way? Can you send me the link? I tried everything but I am not able to download the app.

I have been looking at my watch and I am getting tired of it. I would really LOVE to get that app. Any help would be appreciated.

MariaMaria
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I have been looking at my watch and I am getting tired of it. [snip] Any help would be appreciated.

Use a countdown calculator on your watch.

free1
05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
You should be able to download the app directly from your phone without a computer. Here are the apps that I found.... I bought the Pro version because I wanted to make sure that I could play my own music in the background. However, this option may be available on the free version as well. The Pro version costs $1.99-$2.99.

Here's the link for an Ipod/Iphone....

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/get-running-couch-to-5k/id319043985?mt=8

Here's the link for Android phones....

http://sites.google.com/site/c25kapp/

The sites have more information on whether it's compatible with your phone.

free1
05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Accountability check in....W6D1 finished. I ran through the walk breaks and ended up running for another 20 minutes straight. It went great until the last 4 minutes. My mind just wanted to check out but I finished. On to D2...this is the last interval run. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the intervals or just run all the way through again.

free1
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Checkin in again. W6D2 done!!!! I ran through the walk break again and actually did 22 minutes straight. The 5K in 3 weeks seems so doable now!

free1
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Still on track...W6D3. It felt good and strong! I think I'm ready for W7.

defenestrator
05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I just wanted to chime in and say, "GOGOGOGO!" I did the C25K last fall and found that it really helped me to get started with running for fitness.

I've got all the wrong body type to be a runner. I'm 230 lbs, super-muscular, just bulky and heavy. I am super-slow. Despite this, it has proved to be my favorite way to work out. I'm now running 4-6 miles a day and loving it.

I just want to encourage everyone to find your own goals and be proud of your achievements, even if they don't match up with what the people around you are able to do. I'm running a 5k this Sunday and hope to do it in 37 minutes, which is 3 12 minute miles and a 10 minute mile tenth of a mile. That's what I can do. When I ran my first 5k race in March I ran 40:26. I ran with a bunch of women from the fitness studio I work out in who were running the 10k race just a little bit slower than I was running the 5k. This Sunday those same women are running in the race with me and I expect all of them to be under 20-25 minutes. They'll be able to get a snack and a coffee before watching me cross the line!

But I look back on finding it hard to run for 60 seconds straight and feel proud that I can run six miles now. That's great. I'm doing a half-marathon in the fall and hope to do it 30 lbs lighter than I am now. I think I'll make it.

BigBird
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I just did w1/d1 today and it wasn't too bad but I wasn't sure if I pushed myself hard enough. Hope to keep up with all of your guy's progress!

free1
05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
DEFENESTRATOR....Thanks for the encouragement.

BIGBIRD..Welcome!!!! I felt the same way after W1. Cheering both of us on to W9 :)

I finished W7D1 today. I was sidelined by a cold yesterday but today went great. Still felt weak but my run was strong (go figure).

free1
05-15-2012, 02:19 AM
W7D2.....The end of the "week" is almost here.

free1
05-18-2012, 09:51 PM
W 8D1 finished. I forgot to post that W7D3 was horrible even though I ended up running a little more than 30 minutes all together. On to D2.

Precious Little
05-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Great work! Just continue to enjoy yourself and don't feel like you have to keep up with the program just to move forward.

I agree with the others who recommend maintaining your cross training, this is very important to avoid overuse injuries.

As for fear of 'bulking up' I don't think it's anything to worry about. I would say since I started running, my legs have become shapelier and leaned right down (my 'cankles' are gone, yay!).

DanieJo
05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I started C25K @ 220 lbs. I have never been athleticin my life...my first week I thought I was going to die lol. I repeated the first week every day for 2 weeks and then did the same with the 2nd week. After that I just repeated what I felt like I needed to, if I was not comfortable moving on I would stay on a day. I am now about to start week 6 :D if you feel like you are out of breath SLOW DOWN! You should be able to talk comfortably or sing along with whatever song you have on your ipod! Your legs may hurt but you should have comfortable breathing! (That was the hardest part for me) good luck on your c25k journey!!

DanieJo
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh I just read some of this thread lol looks like your doing awesome keep up the great work!! :D

Marchmallow
05-21-2012, 05:11 AM
I've recently started the C25K - just finished W1D2 this morning. I don't know if it's because I'm doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on days when I'm not running, but my last run was almost a week ago and I had to pause the podcast and even walk through one of the 60 second bursts because I was that out of breath. This morning though, I ran every 60 second burst with a smile on my face because it was easy!! Thank you Jillian?!

free1
05-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Accountability check in...W8 finished. On to W9 tomorrow.

happyrunner
05-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Go Free1 Go!!!

I jogged for 12min non stop this morning!! I'm getting there!!!

free1
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks HAPPYRUNNER and congrats on the 12 minutes. You reached it much faster than I did. :)

W9D1 down only 2 more days and I GRADUATE!!!! The run went pretty good today. I forgot to stretch and my legs started out feeling tight. I started slow and prayed. I kept telling myself that quitting was not an option. The last 7-8 minutes were the hardest. I actually ran 1-2 minutes extra sort of by mistake. I started running during the walm up walk and before my app signaled me to start running. All together I probably did 32 minutes.

I am visiting family and my nephew wants me to try a 5K with him in the morning. Not so sure because my legs are very sore and I try to follow the program and not run 2 days in a row.

My 5k is June 2nd. It's still freaking me out....

LAgreeneyes
05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Go Free1 Go!!!

I jogged for 12min non stop this morning!! I'm getting there!!!

That is awesome !!!!!!!!!!! Congrats. Good job!

free1
05-30-2012, 10:18 AM
UPDATE...W9D2 finished. One more run and I GRADUATE :)