Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #1  

Default New to this

Hello,
This is my first time on this site and I so need this!!! I am out of control. I weigh more than i ever have. I think in the morning that I am going to beat this thing then by lunch it goes downhill. I hope being here will inspire me to get this done.My son is engaged and getting married in the future and I have a grandchild that is three I would like to still be alive and see her through life. Any inspiration or hints will be appreciated.
graciesnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum!
Do you know what food plan you are going to follow? There is a ton of information about many different food plans on this site. Pick a plan that fits in your lifestyle and you can follow long term. I chose calorie counting because it is free and flexible. It allows me to eat almost anything I wanted as long as it fits within my calorie range for the day and there are ton of free apps out there to help you track your food.
Give up the sugary drinks and drink lots and lots of water.
Incorporate some exercise into your weekly routine. You do not have to join an expensive gym try to walk more, use the stairs more, download videos off of YouTube or Hulu.com to work out to. There are a lot of things you can to do with spending a ton of money.
Lastly, if you have a bad meal, a bad day, heck, a bad food week. Do NOT let this be a reason to throw in the towel. Get back on track at the next meal. You can do this!!!
Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!!! You will find tons of support here!

I've had about a million "I'll start today" then by lunch I'm stuffing my face with 2 days worth of calories at a fast food joint. So I definitely understand!

I like to calorie count, and I use a website to track, it takes a lot of the work out. I try to make sure to eat things that are filling and satisfy me so I will not rebell against my "diet" because I am starving to death. That has been one of the things that I decided I had to do different this time. I will not set myself up for failure by planning to eat carrots for breakfast, celery for lunch and a protein shake for dinner. And I've done that, and sure lost weight, but gained every bit back!!! Plus some. Choose a way to do it that you can see yourself doing long term. Add some exercise in that you don't mind doing, so that you will actually do it!

It's really all about finding out what will work for you!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

Welcome!
I do Weight Watchers and also calorie count at the same time. I just take it one day (or even one meal) at a time.
If you slip up, just move on. It's going to happen, it's not a big deal! Just don't let it dereail you completely.
Best of luck
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/160/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome

I am not new but today is my start over day after a year away! I agree with the other posts! I like calorie counting too. I have had allot of success with it in the past and have not regained! Some things I have done in the past and plan to revisit this go around that really helped were eating a protein rich breakfast! As a matter of fact its my biggest meal of the day! Some thing like an egg white omelet (one whole egg 2 whites if you don't like the idea of just whites). I put a handful baby spinach mushrooms and onions and a tiny sprinkle of shredded cheese in mine and a piece of whole wheat toast no butter. Fold some of your omelet into the toast if you can't eat it dry . A good protein rich breakfast will help you stay full longer and you wont over do it at lunch! I try to have a snack before lunch too. especially if I ate breakfast very early, I am in the habit of eating every 4 hrs. I do fruit or raw veggie for snacks. If I am real hungry I pair it with cottage cheese, yogurt or a cheese stick.

Any way the calorie counting apps are great! some of them factor in your exercise too and if you get it on Ur phone or i pod you have it with you and can improvise throughout the day! I have found life is unexpected and you can plan all you want but something is bound to throw you for a loop so be prepared!

The best advise I can give is start small. There is a ton of info out there and it can be overwhelming. Figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose (apps for that too) and try to divide that into at least 4 meals for the day! Oh and I would figure your calorie to start with for a loss of no more than 2 lbs a week! I know that sounds small but you don't want to set your goal to unrealistic levels. after a week or so if you feel like your not hungry approaching your next meal you can readjust

Good Luck

Last edited by mandy280; 03-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
mandy280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Welcome and congrats on taking the first steps!

I started off last year doing the Zumba DVDs at home and successfully dropped some weight over the course of a month or so, then I joined WW online to get my eating in-line and after another month or so, I joined the YMCA to explore other exercise options. I slowly introduced things rather than trying to do it all at once...I'd done this in the past and found it too overwhelming to stick with.

But I think deciding how you're going to do this really is the first step! I started the whole "I'm going to be good today" a million times and then, like you, by lunch or dinner it was over and I'd lose all confidence in myself. But, by making changes little by little, sticking to them and adding more, I've been much more successful.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I'm another calorie counter. I did some research on Weight Watchers but decided to try and count on my own and see what would happen. Lo and behold, I started to lose weight. Stepping on the scale and seeing the number go down is the best feeling ever and it is enough motivation for me to keep going. I could not do it without an app on my phone to track my calories. It keeps me organized and honest about what I eat every day.

This website is full of great information and lots of different tips and tricks. It has been super helpful in helping me adapt a plan that works for me.
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #8  

Thanks to all the replys looks like calorie counting works for alot of you. I think thats what I will go with. I hope I can do this!!!
graciesnana is offline   Reply With Quote