Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #1  

Default What kind of progress is likely in 8 weeks? I'm getting married!

Yep, I am getting married in 8 weeks, counting from tomorrow. I am 27 years old, 5'7" and weighed in this AM at 153.6. That is literally the lowest adult weight that I've ever been at--that I remember and was aware of.

I just want so badly to look good in my wedding dress and for the pictures; honeymoon--like every one does. I've lost 41 lbs in 14 months. I would like to lose at least 6 more before the wedding and ultimately end up around 140 in the future.

I guess I'm just concerned because I do not *look* anywhere near how I would like at this point. I'm about 14 lbs from my ultimate goal, but I still have lots of flab, especially on my stomach. I can definitely see that from a body fat percentage--I have a lot. I've always thought of myself as having a "large frame", but now I realize that I don't. I'm definitely a medium--frame size. I guess I just assumed large because I've always felt large! I know when you get close to the end of your weight loss--and are close to your goal, every pound counts. That it becomes more difficult. I guess my mind is just having a hard time wrapping itself around the thought that I've lost 41 lbs, but somehow in these next few 6-10 lbs, there's going to be a miraculous change in my appearance, you know? That I will be just a handful of pounds from my "ideal weight".

I'm not going to dwell on it--even if I walked down the aisle at my current weight, it would be fine. I will work diligently in the time that I have and look how I look, and I'm sure I'll look great. I'm working out, trying to eat well. I know that I will get to my goal.

Any thoughts for me from others who are near their goal or have reached it? Thanks!
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/150

Height: 5'7"

My only concern this close to your wedding would be your dress. Unless your mother is a really good seamstress and can spend the night before your wedding taking in the dress - losing weight at this point may not be a great idea! I lost a little before my wedding and while my dress still looked fine, it was REALLY irritating during the reception because it kept shifting downward as I was dancing so I kept pulling it back up.

Try to relax in the coming weeks and enjoy yourself If you lose weight (lots of people do due to stress), then great, but remember no matter whether you lose those 6 pounds you are still YOU, you are still the person your fiance fell in love with, those 6 lbs won't make your wedding any more or less authentic!!
debigulating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Oh how I feel you on this one! I went from 193 to 143 before my wedding (I'm 5'6"), I wasn't happy. I wanted to be 135. I wanted to be skinny and look amazing. Guess what!?!?! I DID! And I didn't realize it until a couple years, 2 babies, and 80 some pounds later. I was unhappy with the way I looked, I wasn't satisfied. With every pound I lost, I wanted another pound and another and another, and I already looked really good. I wish so so so very much I would have enjoyed it more.

You could definitely lose 6 to 10 lbs in 8 weeks! But if you don't, please, I beg of you, don't dwell on it, or give yourself a hard time. Give yourself credit for the hard-freaking-work you have put in to get where you are. Feel beautiful that day, feel like a princess!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and your amazing weight loss so far!

Last edited by LockItUp; 03-27-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Lifting heavy weights will firm you up faster than anything else and in eight weeks a lot of progress is possible if you haven't been lifting.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

You know what, you've done brilliantly so far and I think you should concentrate on looking fabulous on the day and enjoying every minute, rather than trying hard to lose lots of weight. Yes, you can lose a bit more and also, as JohnP says, lift weights to tone up, but don't give yourself a hard time over it. Maybe your brain still needs time to catch up with the new you. You'll look amazing in your dress - believe it!

I think sometimes we can obsess over this journey a bit too much because we so badly want everything to be perfect after all the hard work. You start focussing on things that, in the grand scheme of things, really don't matter so much. Congratulate yourself on everything you've already achieved!
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #6  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I second John P's suggestion of starting to lift heavy weights. The last 10 pounds will really only result in a radical transformation if you work on body recomposition rather than mere scale loss. Come visit us in the Weight Training sub forum!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

what is the alternative to weight lifting
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #8  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointless2011 View Post
what is the alternative to weight lifting
Becoming or staying skinny-fat.

Any exercise can help to build a little muscle--yoga can be good. But really, for body recomposition, weight lifting is the most effective thing.

ETA: It's also really fun! What I love about the sport is how it puts me in direct competition with myself each and every workout. <3

Last edited by DietVet; 03-27-2012 at 11:53 AM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on the wedding!

I'm going to +1 the suggestion to start weight lifting. If you're a total newbie you'll see results really fast and you'll begin to look awesome!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Look into T-Tapp for tightening and loss of inches

I just bought the book from amazon and am loving it!
Saisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

If going to the gym to lift weights freaks you out - try a class like body pump where you do it in a group with an instructor. It's not heavy lifting, but it works. It's reshaping my body too - 2-3 times a week and you'll see a difference. For sure. but yes, weight lifting is how you will get the body you want - you will not bulk up, but lean down and get the shape you think just dropping more weight will do - it's the muscle you need to build.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote