Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #1  
Chubby Chibi

Height: 5'5

Default Giving up.

Yep, title is correct. I'm giving up losing weight. I'm really depressed with how I look but yet I no longer have the motivation to continue. Since I quit starving myself I'm pretty sure I put on ten pounds. Had another binge today. Perfect.

Well, I totally give up. No more motivation.

Good luck to all you wonderful people on 3FC
chibir3dpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #2  

You're so close to your goal weight, don't give up now. Even if you had a bad day, fell off track etc, you have to get back on the horse and ride again.
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #3  

You don't need to swing from diet to giving up. Maintain for a while. Work on being good to yourself by gradually moving toward healthy habits and don't worry about weight loss. You're worth it.

You had another binge, but don't sound happy. Just remind yourself "I really don't like binging - I feel like crap after." Then move on.
KarenMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Just maintain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be careful not to gain!! Maintain for a few months to give yourself a break from losing. If you totally give up, you'll be right back where you started and you've worked so hard to get where you are already. Maintain. Maintain. Maintain. Then reevaluate in a few months.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #5  
Dimply and Huge

S/C/G: 325/200

Height: 5'6

Wow, have I been there. We all feel like giving up at times. Many of us do. But the question is, when we give up, just what, or more importantly, WHO, are we giving up on? That's the question I ask myself every time I fail at a weight loss attempt. I know the answer is me and how can I really give up on myself?

I agree with the posters that said maintain. We shouldn't be dieting anyway, we should be trying to make sustainable changes in the way we think about food and the choices we make. It's easier said than done, I know, but that's what we should be shooting for.

So, I'm with you on one thing...stop dieting. Just do your best to be your best self. If you eat something awful, find the courage to try to eat a healthy meal the next time. Don't throw in the towel. Trust me, it will get you to a place you don't want to be (points finger at self).
Resipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

Height: 5'8"

Oh honey, I feel so bad for you. I agree with the previous posters. Just "coast" for a while. You shouldn't have to "starve". If you are feeling like you are starving, then something is out of whack. Give yourself a little break and just watch...kinda. Try to at least keep the stuff nutritious that you are eating, but feed yourself so that you don't feel so hungry without regard to calories for a while. That way you don't feel so deprived, but there is still a bit of control going on, which makes you feel like you are still in charge. I hope this is just a short term thing, for your sake.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #7  
Chubby Chibi

I used to starve myself and since I quit I've been eating whatever I want. I'm pretty sure I've gained at least ten pounds.

And it really gets to me I've gotten to the point where I just wanna give up and die cuz I really hate myself and the way I look. I can't even wear what I want. I hide my body in clothes 3 sizes too big and wear a giant hoodie because I'm soooo self conscious.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

10 lbs is not the end of the world. You have lost so much weight already...I am sure you look a lot better than you think you do. I understand the feeling of not being at the weight you want to be, but just remember one thing: you might think everyone is looking at you and judging you, but they are so worried about how they look they hardly have time to concern themselves with other people. It's true. When I came to understand this, I relaxed a lot about worrying about "appearances", and decided to make changes for myself, but I stopped worrying about what other people thought. Hugs to you...I can feel your pain and frustration and I hope it gets better for you.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

If you give up now and go back to your normal lifestyle, you'd just have wasted all that time. Look at the weight that you DID lose, aren't you proud of yourself for that? You should give yourself more credit, because you deserve it. And I'm not sure why you're so self-conscious. You're 5'5 and according to your ticker, you're 143 pounds. That's in the normal bmi range, is it not? I'm 5'4, 160 pounds, and while I do have some self-confidence issues such as yourself, I don't think of myself as ugly or anything because I know I'm not. You're just being too hard on yourself, so just relax. Go for a run, listen to some music, read a book, and have a good sleep. Wake up tomorrow and continue this journey. You can do it!! I know you can!!!!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Don't give up. Do you know what I would give to be at 143 pounds? That's an amazing number.

I hope you are just having a bad day and can banish these thoughts of giving up tomorrow. I have given up so many times, and I have felt horrible every time I gave up. No matter how depressed you are, you will feel worse if you give up and gain it all back.

Try to just maintain for a few weeks. It's all right to take a break. If you have access to a counselor, talk to one to help you. I wish you luck.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #11  
Chubby Chibi

I just get so dang discouraged when I look in the mirror half naked.......

And plus I've been eating fattening foods and I binged a lot lately :'(
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #12  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Noooo! Don't give up! Especially not just because you think you may have gained a bit. It's one thing to reach a point where you might be above what's considered "healthy" but decide you're okay with where you are; it's another thing entirely to give up out of disgust or shame because of something you think you've done "wrong".

Look, everyone binges from time to time. Everyone experiences gains (even big ones!) And everyone *definitely* gets discouraged from time to time. This is a process where it's pretty much impossible *not* to experience setbacks periodically. But the important thing is to keep going!

Someone once said something here on the forum that made SO much sense to me, in regard to setbacks: If you were climbing a set of stairs and stumbled, would you keep on going...or would you turn around and throw yourself back down to the bottom? The answer seems kind of obvious, doesn't it? And it's the same way with weight loss. You shouldn't just give up because you've stumbled. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going!

Take a break if you need to...maintain for a while if you want...but if you aren't happy with where you are right now, what makes you think you'll be any happier if you give up and gain ALL your weight back?
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #13  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibir3dpanda View Post
I just get so dang discouraged when I look in the mirror half naked.......

And plus I've been eating fattening foods and I binged a lot lately :'(
You know what? I've lost 63 pounds, I'm officially in the healthy body fat percentage and all that, and I still get discouraged when I look at myself half naked in the mirror. But I also realize that once I get a bit more toned up, I'm going to look fantastic...and so will you! You've done so well and lost so much...don't give up on yourself now.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't give up!!! I maintained for an entire year because I was just in a place where I couldn't do it anymore. I'm SO glad I made the decision to do that. There have been so many times I've just given up and gained a bunch of weight back. This year I proved to myself that it doesn't have to be that way.

It's ok to take a maintenance break! You can do this!!! you can you can you can!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #15  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Give up now? You'll be sorry you did when you reach my age.

I understand being depressed, lacking the motivation, not liking what you see in the mirror, what have you . . . but it's about more than how you look. So much more. And it shouldn't ever be about starving yourself, it's about eating healthy so you can feel better and live life to its fullest.

No offense, but I envy you. As hard as I've worked as an adult, I've not once been under 200 pounds on the scale. Not once. And I spent years feeling ashamed of myself, hiding and sheltering away my body, too preoccupied with what others thought of my looks to enjoy life. But not anymore. Who cares if I'll never have the body of a supermodel? That's not what I need to be confident and comfortable in my skin. There's so much more to life than trying to reach a physical ideal. If anything, just eat better so you can continue to feel better. No one says this has to be an all or nothing thing, just do what you can to move in the right direction.

Give up on yourself now, and it's likely your weight and health will get away from you even more over time, and you'll someday look back and wonder how you let it all happen. Heh, I personally wish I didn't feel so fat and disgusting at 220 pounds . . . I eventually reached 360 pounds! It's taken me about 7 years to get down to where I am now, and I don't ever plan on giving up on myself.

You shouldn't either.

Last edited by Elladorine; 03-27-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote