South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #1  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default My plan - and my family

I've seen a few posts about trying to deal with family. I almost didn't start a diet because I was afraid of my family's comments and questions - the possible fuss over meals when I couldn't eat what everyone else was eating, the possible guilt trips. My fears grew out of watching my mother battle weight her whole life and having my dad say things like, "I don't know why you even try, you won't succeed, you never do."

My husband isn't like that at all - if anything, he tries too hard to help, which can also become a barrier to success. So here's what I did:

--When I started my weight loss plan, I sat down with my family, outlined what I was doing and what I needed from them and made it clear that if they weren't sure about what I could eat, to ask me, and to not worry about what they were eating that I couldn't (my kids are slim, growing teens and my husband has never had a weight problem).

--I also let them know that I would be bringing food into the house that is intended just for me - to help me succeed in what I am doing. Sometimes, my husband barks at the kids for getting into things that he thinks are just for me (like bags of pistachios), but I patiently correct him: the kids can share these with me, they just need to be sensible and make sure I don't run out or let me know that the supplies are low.

--I was firm about no finger wagging when I went off plan - the only person I hurt if I eat what I shouldn't is me. It's not life threatening, so leave me in peace. It's too easy for people to jump on things like dark chocolate that might be part of the plan, but don't really seem like something that could be on any diet for losing weight.

This has really helped my family be supportive without unintentionally sabatoging what I am doing. So far, things are going well for me.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Very sensible to discuss it and let them know your expectations and what you're following
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1.5"

I hate it when people make comments about my diet. HATE IT. My family is great about this, though. My daughter does ask me, can you eat this or that, or when can you eat this or that. I tell her I can eat whatever I want whenever I want but I'm not going to because I know it's not good for me, or because I know it won't make me feel good. The concept of can and can't when it comes to diet makes me crazy because we're choosing to eat this way, no one is forcing us!

Also--as a mom I think it's important that my daughter sees that there are advantages to a healthy lifestyle that make it ENJOYABLE and worth choosing! Not a punishment or a prison sentence. She is a junk food junkie so hopefully by presenting it this way I can set an example for her, maybe draw her over to the dark side. I always try to offer her some of what I'm eating or suggest some of my favorite snacks as well as hers when she's looking for something in the kitchen--even though I know 90% of the time she will refuse. I've turned her on to a few healthy snacks that way.
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote