Exercise! - Walking is excellent exercise, so why don't more of us do it?

berryblondeboys
03-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Some of the life long fittest people I've known were lifetime walkers. It's easy on your joints, you can increase speed and distance to increase the calorie burn, so why does everyone try to stop walking to start running?

Higher calorie burn? Get it over with faster? Harder means better? I really don't get it. If we all would get off our butts and walk every day - like briskly walk, we wouldn't have the obesity problem we have. We could avoid a lot of injuries too if we stuck to walking instead of running.

I've been working out for 15 months. I can now do power step aerobics for an hour - all the jumps - yep. I lift weights in bodypump and after 9 months, I have the most weight on the bar for most muscle groups, BUT... I can also still walk fast enough to get my heart racing for a good workout too.

Do people think it's wimping out or something to count walking as exercise? Just walk faster and longer! I guarantee your legs will get twitching and you'll get a good workout!

Think I might blog about this tomorrow.

Porthardygurl
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I personally find it hard to walk...i find that my legs ache after and im breathless and well i know im out of shape.. I guess i rather run and put myself through torture for 20 minutes as opposed to doing it for 60 minutes through fast paced walking..

4myloves
03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Because it would take a reeeeaaaally long time to complete a marathon? :lol:

sensualappeal
03-23-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't walk because it's boring to me. I mean, I live downtown Chicago and I walk everywhere but I don't really consider that exercise. It's like a necessity. But I don't really walk for exercise usually.

berryblondeboys
03-23-2012, 05:37 PM
But we don't need to complete a marathon to be fit.... See, that's just it. We start setting our sites on things that are difficult. Why?

I understand challenging yourself, but if it ends up being that you get injured and can't run. Or you burn out and do nothing, where does that get you?

Why do we get into this mentality that working out has to be hard. Has to be at the gym. Has to be torture. It simply doesn't have to be.

berryblondeboys
03-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't walk because it's boring to me. I mean, I live downtown Chicago and I walk everywhere but I don't really consider that exercise. It's like a necessity. But I don't really walk for exercise usually.

That's different - if it's boring (any exercise) don't do it and find something that is less boring. Though, I used to live in Chicago and I can't imagine getting bored of walking in Chicago - it's like the perfect city for biking, walking or running as it's so flat. I miss that aspect A LOT and there's tons of interesting neighborhoods and with the grid set up, you can get from Point A to Point B in a logical way instead of twisting and turnign on curvy streets.

pluckypear
03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I do use walking as exercise. And when I first lost alot of weight in my 30's (gained it all back) walking was the only exercise I did for a long time. Then I added yoga, swimming and aeorobics. I need to do more of it though. Thanks this will be a reminder to get my butt in gear to walk more.

Nadya
03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
When I first started working out I felt self-conscious walking when others were jogging or running. But that was part of a larger problem regarding my self-esteem in general.

Then I started jogging because I was getting bored with walking. I thought ****, if I'm only aiming to clear a mile, why not get it done faster?

After that it became about actually enjoying it. I still walk when I want to which is pretty often. I usually alternate between jogging and walking because I can't do 3 miles of straight jogging yet. :lol: I just feel like doing it honestly. If I'm wearing light, comfortable clothes and I'm feeling good and the weather is nice, I just can't resist the urge to peel off like a maniac. :D

guacamole
03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I love a good walk. To me, the treadmill is boring because there is no scenery - unless you are watching TV while doing it. When you are walking, all of your senses are engaged. Also, if you have a partner to walk with, it's a great time to chat and catch up while doing something healthy instead of the usual lunch/dinner/coffee date - or you could have a coffee or quick bite after the walk and know that you've earned it! I think walking is more social and gets you more engaged with the world than doing a machine (I have an elliptical) - ditto for outdoor bike riding.

ETA - I walked when I was at my high weight during the winter in all my winter gear when no one else was out. I felt more comfortable that way because I was one of those people who felt I needed to be in shape to start working out in public. In the winter, I felt hidden beneath my layers. During the summer, no way was I going to run, jog, bike, roller blade, or walk next to skinny minis in tiny tank tops, sports bras, and shorts. I guess it's the same reason I didn't feel comfortable joining a gym. How ironic - needing to be in shape to start working out where other people can see you.

summerlove
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
I loove walking!! Lost most of my weight in the past doing that. I love running too though, because it makes me SWEAT :D

berryblondeboys
03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Of course, if you are just thinking about number of calories burned, walking, even when brisk, isn't as intense as running or aerobics or spinning. I walked an hour today on this gorgeous day and burned 300 some calories. I decided not to do a step workout which would have burned about 700 calories. But being inside when it's so beautiful? I'll soak up some vitamin D and forego a few calories instead.

alaskanlaughter
03-23-2012, 09:04 PM
i always wanted to be a runner...i love the feeling of moving my body so intensely and working out so hard...however i cant run outside because running on pavement is hard on my knees and breathing in the pollen deeply causes major asthma...so this time i tried running at the gym on the treadmill...i started last september and am still doing it as many days as i can fit in, usually at least 4-6 times a week....partly because i have a busy schedule and running is one of the most efficient ways to burn calories quickly and also because i like the fact that im finally making progress towards really running that ive never been able to do outside

walking, no matter how fast, is just not a hard enough workout for me to get me REALLY sweating and moving....however i do enjoy outdoor bike riding, even though it also isnt a hard enough workout for me

Tai
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
I love walking; it's nice to see others appreciate it as a form of exercise too!

KatieAlyse
03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I love walking. And now that I've been walking for a few weeks and working out I can now do small lengths of jogging, not really running. I'm like you, on a beautiful day I can't resist going outside and walking/jogging. I Hate doing inside exercises but do them if it's not good weather outside. Walking is the only thing has really kept me going with exercising this long. Ususally I would have stopped by now!

threenorns
03-23-2012, 10:10 PM
i walk twice a day. rain, sun, wind, hail, snow - i walk twice a day.

flood, fire, earthquake, tornado - i walk REALLY REALLY fast.

twice a day, without fail.

if i don't, the dog eats my house.

Riddy
03-23-2012, 11:24 PM
i walk twice a day. rain, sun, wind, hail, snow - i walk twice a day.

flood, fire, earthquake, tornado - i walk REALLY REALLY fast.

twice a day, without fail.

if i don't, the dog eats my house.

Now THERE'S some motivation! :lol::lol::lol:

I should walk more. I have zero desire to run. Not a sports bra in the world that could convince me to try, but that's another discussion. :dizzy: Probably not a good idea for my knees either - ACL replacement in 1, which led to chondromalacia in the other.

chickadee32
03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
For the first ~8 months of my weight loss, my cardio was almost exclusively walking. I loved it. I tried to do C25K a few times, not because I really thought I'd like running (even way back as a child, I LOATHED running), but because I felt like I *should* be able to do it. Silly, and totally the wrong reasons to try it. I quit each time because it made me miserable, and each time I quit I felt like a failure. Then one Saturday I was really angry, and decided I was going to run just to pound out all that anger... and somehow I managed to run the entire 1.6 mile loop through my neighborhood. It felt so good to do something I had believed I couldn't do, and made me want to do more. Now I run pretty regularly because I truly love it (who knew THAT would ever be possible!), but I still do a good amount of walking too. :)

MariaMaria
03-24-2012, 02:57 AM
I walk for transportation. But I run to work out.

But I'm posting here to note that I'm not terribly comfortable with other people prescribing the One True Way to exercise. You like to walk and you find it hard enough to be an aerobic workout? Good for you. But I'm not you.

SanityNow
03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Different strokes for different folks...weird thing is that when I view your opening comment while not logged in it looks like you have an ad for Ascis included in your post.

berryblondeboys
03-24-2012, 09:01 AM
I walk for transportation. But I run to work out.

But I'm posting here to note that I'm not terribly comfortable with other people prescribing the One True Way to exercise. You like to walk and you find it hard enough to be an aerobic workout? Good for you. But I'm not you.

What I'm trying to say here is that most of us here were in terrible physical condition and most of us add exercise to lose weight. We go to the gym, we lift weights. We go from all to nothing. What is the couch to 5k all about? Getting from no fitness to running, but why???

Sure, is there a point in time where walking might not feel hard enough? Maybe, but I know some super fit people who can walk and get their heart rate up to an aerobic level -- a high level, no, but it's doing something.

I posted this because people tend to go to extremes. All or nothing. Is a reminder that moderation and doing Something, like walking is far from doing nothing.

I could say the same thing for gardening.

It wasn't to say we shouldn't run or shouldn't do aerobics or go to the gym. I do those things too, but I'm not going to dismiss walking as exercise either.

mrslosingit
03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
i like walking or stat bike best when it comes to exercising.But i can get lazy so I'm in a walk challenge for 10 mins a day but i do at least 30 mins myself

sontaikle
03-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I love walking. I walk a lot at work and now that it's super nice I will walk during my lunch hour.

I take my dog out for long walks too. It's good for both of us!

Elliemar
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
I love a good walk too. I can't run - my right knee is shot and running aggravates it so I stick to walking. Never used to be able to I was sooooo unfit, but now happily route march for miles, lost in thought and with my ipod pumping out good tunes. :)

Nadya
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
What I'm trying to say here is that most of us here were in terrible physical condition and most of us add exercise to lose weight. We go to the gym, we lift weights. We go from all to nothing. What is the couch to 5k all about? Getting from no fitness to running, but why???

Sure, is there a point in time where walking might not feel hard enough? Maybe, but I know some super fit people who can walk and get their heart rate up to an aerobic level -- a high level, no, but it's doing something.

I posted this because people tend to go to extremes. All or nothing. Is a reminder that moderation and doing Something, like walking is far from doing nothing.

I could say the same thing for gardening.

It wasn't to say we shouldn't run or shouldn't do aerobics or go to the gym. I do those things too, but I'm not going to dismiss walking as exercise either.

The people who do Couch to 5k do it because running, itself, is actually a goal or the goal. Running is hard, it requires you to be in great physical shape, especially if you are doing long distance running. Most of us have probably never been able to run or haven't been able to run for some time now so it's just one of those things where you want to push yourself to that point, you want to go from walking to jogging to full on running because it just feels amazing to see that progress.

I don't think many people really discount walking as exercise. Those who do really don't understand exercise in general. The same goes for people who believe they need to hit their exercise routine hard but, again, that's more of an issue with not understanding exercise/health in a broader capacity.

I hope that makes sense because I'm falling asleep over here so I apologize if I didn't get any point across well at all. :lol:

threenorns
03-24-2012, 03:25 PM
tbh, just plain walking doesn't do squat-all for me. i used to walk the dog 10k/day and that was on a twisting, winding, up-and-down country dirt road AND pushing the stroller with a 50lb kid in it the whole way. the only time my heart elevated was going up that flipping hill - it was a grade about a hundred miles long at about a 40deg incline; just *brutal*. past that, it was gravy - coming back, the same hill only heart elevated for completely different reasons: it's very very difficult to control a heavy stroller and a rambunctious dog on an incline going rapidly downhill.

i think the most benefit from walking for me is i'm not eating while i'm doing it, lol.

berryblondeboys
03-24-2012, 03:31 PM
But it probably did help - where would you be without all that walking? More out of shape and heavier probably.

threenorns
03-24-2012, 03:43 PM
not really - i really REALLY lived a "country" life: no running water unless i bucketed it from the river to fill up the barrel in the basement; firewood to split on a daily basis; gardening - heavy-duty gardening, not just flowerbeds; shingling the roof; replacing the siding; renovating the bathroom (gutted it to the framing and then cut the wall out of the back of the house - used sit in the bathtub and wave at the ppl canoeing past on the river, lol).

but alas: http://www.mindentimes.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3200404&archive=true

oddly enough, that happened after i left - my mother decided she liked what i'd done to her cottage so much she moved in and we are very not compatible housemates.

but the walking probably did help stop me from killing myself with overwork and stress - that was 2-1/2hrs a day i could just walk and not think about anything (plus there was always a yummy snack along the way in the right season - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc).

Horo
03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
When I first started losing weight, that's all I did for exercise, long walks with my dogs. Probably all I did for the first 40 lb or so. :chin: I still love walking: with my dogs, as transportation to wherever I need to go, etc. but I don't count it as exercise any longer because it would be too easy to decide that's all I need to do that day when I simply need more intense exercise at this point. Now I view my walks not as my day's exercise, but something extra on top of other exercise I do.

I believe it's a great thing for people to begin with, though.

SanityNow
03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
When I first started losing weight, that's all I did for exercise, long walks with my dogs. Probably all I did for the first 40 lb or so. :chin: I still love walking: with my dogs, as transportation to wherever I need to go, etc. but I don't count it as exercise any longer because it would be too easy to decide that's all I need to do that day when I simply need more intense exercise at this point. Now I view my walks not as my day's exercise, but something extra on top of other exercise I do.

I believe it's a great thing for people to begin with, though.

I still find that walking is what's working for me as I work off my 1st 10% of fat. Except I don't have dogs :( I'm slowly transitioning to more intense work-outs, longer walks and c25k, because I believe that will be of benefit to me. Not everyone's built for or has the inclination toward race-walking - although it's great exercise. Also, sometimes i just have to get my errands/jobs done and don't have the time to walk for walking's sake.

At the end of the day, it's all good. Find what you enjoy and do it.

berryblondeboys
03-24-2012, 04:18 PM
We are lucky enough to live in a planned community and we live in the first neighborhood built, so it's true to the planner's design (later years the plan was strayed from). I can walk and my kids can walk to all the schools - elementary through community college. We can walk to the mall, the library, swimming pools and elsewhere all by sidewalks and paths. We live 100 feet from a lake with a walking path that is about 1.4 miles from our door and back. There also used to be a grocery store, but it went moved out as the parking was too tight, but I can bike ride by paths to another close one.

Just by walking to and from with school pick up. Just from looping around the lake every day has helped so much with fitness and with feeling better.

It's all that movement that will help me from regaining. You don't burn many calories driving to the library and driving kids to and from school every day.

sontaikle
03-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, I know the point of this thread is not to discuss if walking is exercise or not, but isn't any movement better than none?

Americans are living increasingly sedentary lifestyles. Getting them up and WALKING is much better than having them sit around. For some people even walking for a little while is a feat in itself.

Walking can be fun, enjoyable, and a social activity. We're told that we should do exercises that we like and are passionate about...so if someone finds walking fun shouldn't they be encouraged to do it?

Granted for those of us that are fitter the walking won't "do it" for us, but we still benefit. Much better than running for an hour and then sitting for 8.

stasiagurl91
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I love walking. It's good exercise, easy on the joints, builds stamina, and plus it's very therapeutic. I'm one of those people that walks when I get stressed.

mrslosingit
03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
walking is good for you and natual to do.Going up hills is better for you than running and not as hard on you.Those speed walkers go pretty fast too

CNP
03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I love walking too. I keep in mind that losing weight is 80% from your diet and 20% from exercise. If you walk everyday, but eat more than you burn..........
I feel that walking really helps me to lose weight. I don't like exercise in general and walking is the only exercise I feel I can do for life. The activity points I get to add to my daily WW points motivates to walk even more! The only thing I'm worried about is being flabby.....should I lift weights??