Support Groups - Canadian SPRING has SPRUNG thread! :)

greeneggsandtam
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
:flow1::sunny::rain::sunny::rain::flow1:

I don't think I've ever started a thread. So here it is. I hope it is appropriately spring-like.

Happy Friday Ladies - I am at my desk and happily in-between supervising drama students for today. I just about ran off to Tim's for a large coffee and yogurt, but decided --a litre of water before I go anywhere. I know that coffee is my goal but usually turns into some baked delight, so there's one good decision. ALSO: Did not smoke on my drive into work so can I get a WOOT for that? woot!! Lol.
In other happy news I have discovered CBC music. OMG is it good. I'm listening to Canadian songwriters and I feel all tapped into the cultural side of my days. I'm off to finish a painting and maybe a walk later!! I hope you all have a GREAT weekend and here's to a lovely Spring!! Cheers!!
Tam

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
TAM ~ thanks for starting our new spring thread; I just realized that officially spring is supposed to start on the 20/21st (I think) ... :shrug:

Congrats on cutting down on that smoking; that's exactly what DH and I did over 9 years ago (March 20, 2003 was our official quit day).

We cut back first, making rules about where we could and couldn't smoke -- for instance, first big rule was NO SMOKING in the bathroom or bedrooms (we never smoked in our sleeping bedroom; I mean, our spare rooms like the office/PC & utility rooms). Smoking was only allowed in the kitchen/livingroom at that point.

Then DH couldn't smoke in his workshop; and eventually the car either, esp if I :drill: was with him. ;) If he was alone, he had to open the windows and could only take 1-2 ciggies with him; eventually, he stopped taking any and would wait until he got home. He smoked a lot more than me so that was really good of him. BTW, we both agreed to these rules and DH set his own pace (I'm just teasing about the drill sergeant thing).

DH made me homemade substitute ciggies from dowels (I still have a jar of them as a reminder), but you can buy them now. I also chewed sugar-free gum and DH sucked on NSA candies (so we wouldn't gain weight). Plus, DH took long, long walks to help his nerves; eventually going a few times a day. This is actually how he started his "scrapping" hobby ...

Then, we started rolling our own ciggies (I mean the kind with the tubes). Some people wouldn't like to do that, but not only did that save us more money but it took more time and bother, which worked as a great delaying technique too. Just before we quit, we had our ciggie costs down to $50.00 a month for both of us, then we took the plunge and quit for good.

We really believe this gradual cessation process enabled us to be successful. We had tried all-out cold turkey without cessation before that, but DH found it too hard. The gradual process got his body more accustom to less ciggies & nicotine well ahead of time (at one point, he had been smoking 2-3 packs a day at work).

It was the best thing we ever did -- we not only have more cash at our disposal (here ciggies cost $7-$9 a pack depending on where you shop), but all DH's coughing & hacking, allergies & asthma, and breathing issues went away completely; no more pumps and trips to the hospital for oxygen. :D

We now ask friends & relatives not to smoke here, but they have 2 porches to smoke in, and the basement in the wintertime. To me, it is a matter of respect for people who have worked so hard to quit. I'm not trying to preach here, just sharing becuz March is STOP SMOKING MONTH for a lot of people, just like us. :D

GOOD LUCK to all those who "GO FOR IT" this month -- and for those who succeed and to you, TAM ... :bravo:

BTW, I enjoy listening to CBC as well, esp to the music programs ... :)

lyrical
03-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey Ladies! Yay for spring!!:yay: I'm glad you like my avatar Rosebud, if only it were that easy to get rid of the fat eh? lol.

Grats Tam on cutting back! Keep it up! I It's all about small steps

We are heading back to normal seasonal temperatures :( (too bad I did enjoy the early summer!) Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
LYRICAL ~ oh, how I wish it were so ... DEAR FAT, GET OUT & STAY OUT!!! :lol:

Our temps are a bit colder here too, but so far we've only had :rain: which isn't so bad -- very spring-like weather, just cooler. We'll see if that holds, but since all the snow is gone, nothing that falls would stay long anyways. My Lilies and Rhubarb are poking up from the garden beds already; they think it's spring ... ;)

Well, I did really good on my food this week, stayed under my calorie goals every day, but one night had the munchies and ended up having a slice of wg bread with peanut butter, but hey -- it could have been a lot worse, so I'm OK with that. It was just one of those carb craving days; but last night was much better, and I just had some cheeze (my planned snack).

:carrot::D:carrot:

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... :flow1:

josey
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi guys,
long time no see. I am still here but way less since I focus more on working out than losing weight now.

We are in for some snow here today. They forecast 10-20cm for Calgary. UGHH! I am so done with winter. Though I don't think I can complain, this winter was balmy and fairly ok.

I am busy, busy at work and with workouts too. I had a fun workout on Friday. We have a pro lacrosse team here in Calgary and once a year they offer a ladycrosse night where you can play lacrosse with the team. I finally dared to sign up this year! SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

I also do yoga and zumba now. And of course the ever exhausting capoeira. LOVE capoeira though! It is a dream come true!

Have a great week ladies!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
WOW, JOSEY ~ did we miss you reaching goal? Forgive us for that!!!

:carrot::dance::broc::dancer::cb::dance::carrot:

:congrat: to you ... and really, maintaining is just as important as losing IMHO -- I think the effort must be 50-50; and we must continue doing what we did to lose weight to keep it off (thanks to Bargoo for that piece of wisdom).

Glad you are doing so well; that dancing sounds fun, will have to look that up on the net. My brother used to play lacrosse and we would watch him sometimes; it is a fast moving game and you can sure burn the calories playing it. I used to play floor hockey, road hockey & ice hockey with my brothers & friends -- when I was much slimmer and much younger, that is. ;)

We had a bit of the white stuff fall last night and it is cooler for sure, but we've had :sunny: all day and it has all but melted now. Of course, we can't really complain since we have had unbelievable weather this year. Hope you and all our fellow Canucks have a wonderful week ... :flow1:

josey
03-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Dancing? Are you talking Zumba? It is surprisingly fun. Don't sweat much but I was wearing my heart rate monitor last time and it does burn quite the calories. Must be at a lower but steady rate.

Just came back from yoga. So nice and relaxing. Perfect for Monday lunch breaks. And it stretches sore muscles :-)

greeneggsandtam
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
:carrot:Josey !! Congrats!!! Goal!!:carrot:
Nothin says congrats like a dancing carrot!

I must re-try that zumba! I really enjoyed it. Note to self: You enjoy Zumba. Do it!

Rosebud : Thanks for the kind words and advice about smoking!! I'm sure it will make a difference!!

I hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!! Mine was busy busy but hopefully we will have time to unwind at easter. Went for a walk today at noon and am curling tonight! Yay!
Gawd I hope it doesn't snow tonight. I would like a little more spring!
Anyways everyone take care!
Tam

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
JOSEY ~ I looked up some Zumba and Capoeira videos on YouTube; that Zumba looks like so much fun and can those girls shake it or what? Then I watched some Capoeira videos; boy, you have to be in shape for that -- a cross between karate & dance & gymnastics. No wonder you hit goal so fast -- wholly moly!!! The Capoeira is way beyond my physical challenges, but I think I could do a partial version of the Zumba; will try that first cuz, one thing I do have and that's rhythm baby! ... ;)

Here's one that's particularly fun ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

josey
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Zumba is for everybody no matter what you weigh. It is lots of fun but mostly cardio. I absolutely recommend it for weight loss since it is rather fun than feeling like working out. There are tons of instructors all over the place, you will probably find classes close by. Though they fill up quickly. Check here http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/ or for instructors here http://www.zumba.com/en-US/instructors/search/
There is also a DVD set you can buy if you rather try it at home.
You will sweat and burn lots of calories guaranteed. We also laugh a lot while hopping around like some crazy chicks.

Capoeira is indeed very, very tough. It is a lot of strength, flexibility, cardio and burns tons of fat. I just started in January and I am a total beginner. Nothing like those guys in the videos. It is a super hard training but sooooo much fun. I always wanted to do that but never ever believed it is possible. It is! It takes years to get really, really good but that doesn't matter.
What I really like is that it is a no contact/no violence martial art. But don't even think it can't be lethal.
And...Don't those guys look super cool?

I totally got into the whole bodyweight thing. I want to be able to do pull ups, handstand, bridge, cart wheel, etc. I think it is the ultimate body control thing that makes it so tempting for me. I finally found something that is really worth working for.
That used to be my biggest problem. How do you get motivated when you are not into sports? Well, you seriously need to search and find something that you want to do. Soooo much easier to get off the couch when you have found something you like and a goal to work for.

greeneggsandtam
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Well that does it for me! I am going to have to look up the capoeira! Sounds like fun!

Gosh we're almost to the end of the month already? Where did March go? I am going on a choir trip with thirty kids this weekend to Winnepeg. Here is a conversation with a colleague: (Facial expressions included for your reading pleasure)
Me: :rolleyes: :"ugh...I have to plan for a sub to go on the choir trip this weekend."
Colleague: :?: "So What?! It's CHOIRkids...How bad can they be?
Me: :dz: "I went on the choir trip in high school."
Colleague: :eek:

So there it is. My weekend. I had the thought that we would likely stay in a hotel that has a gym. I wonder if I should bring some runners and get on a treadmill? I will think about it.

Actually--with all this Zumba talk, I should mention that our little community hall in the middle of nowhere has Zumba Wednesday nights. Maybe I should go and check it out? I'll make it the thing I plan to do and then I'll have to do it. --I'll report tomorrow!

Have a Lovely Wednesday Ladies!!
Tam

josey
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Actually--with all this Zumba talk, I should mention that our little community hall in the middle of nowhere has Zumba Wednesday nights. Maybe I should go and check it out? I'll make it the thing I plan to do and then I'll have to do it. --I'll report tomorrow!

Where are you Tam??? That's exactly why I went. Our little community hall out in the nowhere has Zumba classes Wednesday night! That's why I signed up. I had to support whatever fitness they offer!

Aunty Jam
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi again everyone :wave:

I want to try zumba too... my step-d bought a zumba game for the wii but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Have any of you done that one? I'll have to google Capoeira.... I've never even heard of it.

We had another snow storm too but it's finally melting again... I am also DONE with winter :sigh: Even though it's been a nice one... I am done done done!

Tam - Take your runners! You'll be able to deal with the kids better if you've had a run.

Josey - Congrats at being at your goal!!!!!! :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Tam - Take your runners! You'll be able to deal with the kids better if you've had a run.

Or, so that you can run ... away from them; or, so that you can chase them ... :lol: Just kidding. Ya, she knows how they'll be becuz she was a choirgirl once upon a day ... ;)

:wave: HI AUNTY ~ let us know how you like that WII fit Zumba.

:snowglo: We had a big ***** fall during the night; Dh had to do a lot of shovelling this am, but it will likely melt if we get the :sunny: they are promising for the rest of the week. It's a bit colder here right now too. :brr:

I can't complain my eating has been very good this month; I'm happy about that. Had a few carb craving days but found ways to deal with them; kept things in line though. Have a great week everyone ... :coolsnow:

greeneggsandtam
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Hey Josie - We are pretty close to Saskatoon! And for the record - I didn't go. Marital discord stopped any Zumba in my corner of the world! (I hate money and all its evils- actually just a lack of it seems to be the point of the argument--I hate budgeting!):snooty: Are you in Alberta?
Good to see you AuntyJam! - I am bringing my runners for sure!!
Rosebud! - You're totally on to me! - lol I know what to look for because if it was bad I was into it!! I hope all your **** melts and we can all actually enjoy spring!

Okay ommmmmmmmm.

It is going to be one great weekend! I am going to nix the negative talk--and enjoy myself and the kids' company. So there negative Tam - It is going to be awesome and I will enjoy myself and the kids company. I am going to tell myself until we all crawl onto the bus tomorrow at 7a.m. lol

EricAnn
03-29-2012, 04:54 PM
JOSEY - Where in Calgary do you take capoeira lessons? I always thought it would be a cool thing to check out, but am quite intimidated by all those guys that look like they could take your head off if they wanted, haha. It would be good to check out a place with some beginners.

Candeka
03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Yay for Spring. After our somewhat of a snowstorm a few days ago, the weather is finally really nice! That means hiking soon near Canmore which is a huge favorite of mine! Lets hope I am not crazy out of shape because I like to hike up massive mountains lol!

greeneggsandtam
04-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Good Morning Beautiful Canadian Ladies!!
MONDAY!!! And I can safely say that we are back from the Peg with all the students in tow. I can also safely say that I do love Winnipeg. I think it gets a bad rap sometimes. Anyways Aunty Jam--I did take my runners AND use them Saturday morning so that's a good thing!
I am at my desk taking a break from report cards so I thought I'd log in to keep myself honest. I've been down to the cafeteria once and avoided cookies and muffins! Woot! And I will go for that mid-day walk once I get my day in order.
Have your lovely selves a good monday!
Tam

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
:wave: G-R-E-A-T- NEWS ~ Well, April is turning out to be my month for sure. I decided to brave the scale yesterday (I usually weigh-in on the 7th) to see how I did over the winter becuz I made some changes to shake things up a bit. I upped my calories, and starting cycling them (between 1500-1900). Well, it paid off big time ... :D

Since last fall when our local dietician weighed me, I am down 23 lbs -- now some of that was water & clothes becuz she weighed me late afternoon with my clothes, vest, and boots on. I have a water retention issue in my legs and that can bounce up & down 5-10 lbs. So, my real loss looks about 10 lbs and that's great! :dancer: :dance: :dancer:

I decided to check that for 3 days running to make sure it's not a fluke cuz last time 4 lbs of water came back on and stayed. So this AM, I weighed again and am down another 1.5 lbs -- yahoo! Now, just one more day ... tomorrow and I'll change my signature.

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS: I also had many other NSV's over the winter: thinner fingers, face, arms, looser clothes, and 2" off my tummy too! Plus, I am sneaking up on my 100 lb goal; hope to reach that by summer ... :^:

We are starting this month off with lots of :sunny: too and temps in the mid-40's as well. That is melting all that snow we got last week. Have a great week everyone ... :flow1:

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
So, it's official as of the AM -- weighed exactly the same as yesterday, so that 4 lbs of water came back off, and 11 more of fat, we'll say ...

Changed my signature and gained another dragonfly too. Wow, am really sneakin' up on that 100 lbs, only 3 to go ... :dancer:

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-10-2012, 08:48 PM
:welcome: ERICANNE ~ glad you found us over here. That Capoiera looks daunting, but I'm sure they must have classes for beginners somewhere.

Well, we had a bit more ***** fall today, but it all melted right after; and we had :sunny: right up until dusk tonight. The temps have been in the 50's mostly, which isn't too bad; and some of the spring birdies have returned. I can hear them singing in my lilac bush just outside this room.

Eating has been going really well. Today, DH & I did the floors in the house really well. I did whizzing while he did washing; and boy, that's good exercise for sure. Hope you all had a nice Easter weekend.

Take care, and have a great week ... :flow1:

Aunty Jam
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Hey Josie - We are pretty close to Saskatoon! And for the record - I didn't go. Marital discord stopped any Zumba in my corner of the world! (I hate money and all its evils- actually just a lack of it seems to be the point of the argument--I hate budgeting!):snooty: Are you in Alberta?

I agree with you 100% on this :( We also have a chronic lack of funds and it leads to all sorts of stress and fighting. I'm glad you took your runners and used them :)

Josey - In Calgary? I'm just 3 hours north of you... ;) You know where.

Rosebud - So close to your next goal!!!! Go girl go!!!

For the record... I didn't like the wii zumba. I knew it was going to be hip hop songs and everything.. but it was so targeted towards kids, not serious at all. I just didn't care for it at all and it didn't feel like a work out, just me flailing about. A lot of it was hard to do on the carpet too.

It's 15c outside right now!!! I'm going to go stand outside for a few minutes ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
THANKS, AUNTY ~ ya, I'm working on that 3-4 lbs; will not weigh until next month though becuz I am a very, s-l-o-w loser ... :lol: I think I may be able to get over the top by the end of May though. :crossed: ... ^:angel:^

I agree with you 100% on this. We also have a chronic lack of funds and it leads to all sorts of stress and fighting.

I'm sorry to hear that this is such an issue for both you ladies, esp since you both work. I took a business/accounting course in college (the second time around), and have been using budgeting strategies to keep our finances in line.

DH & I each get a PA: a personal allowance each month -- it is in our budget just like our household bills & savings each month. It comes off the top, then we work around the rest. I find that people that don't take a PA, often end up angry & bitter; and I think everyone should have their own personal spending money.

I put half of our allowances away in our savings accounts now, so we can save up for those things that we really want. We save our coins up for Christmas gifts & other stuff too (I save the toonies, and DH saves the rest). I shop around for the best deals each month & any money that I save off the groceries, household, laundry, and utilities, I put away in savings too. It has become like a challenging game for me now ... ;)

We have a lower income compared to many people we know, but we have no debt; and we bought a home last year. We decided to nix the cable/satellite TV and just buy movies on sale, and we use/save that $100.00 a month for other things we want instead (like the internet). I don't use our dishwasher when there is only two of us here becuz it takes only minutes to do dishes for two people.

I bought a portable dryer rack on sale (which holds an entire load of clothes). I used that & my clothes line to save more money. I only used my dryer once this winter. Our hydro bill is half of what our last place was. We kept the heat at 67-68 degrees all winter -- we just put another fleece blanket on the bed, and were fine; I don't like it too hot anyways.

A lot of people could have more discretionary funds if they put away some money each month, bought less on credit, hunted down sales, and just did without until they saved up for things. We had two friends that were in debt and broke before month end, and I helped them see where they were wasting money. They moved to a lower priced place & sold their vehicle -- they both bought bikes, use public transit, and walk more. They paid off their debts, and now save for trips, gifts, wants, etc.

The other couple just learned how to buy & spend better; that's all they needed to do. One couple we know had two vehicles & cut back to sharing one; taking turns driving each other to work each week (alternating).

One of my friends took cooking & budgeting classes; and they lived off the highest household wage (her husbands); and saved hers for vacations, gifts, and the home they were planning to buy. She saved up the entire price of their first home & paid cash for it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant or preach; but I see this all the time. Everybody's different, but many people could save more than they think they can. I have seen people that make 5 times as much as us, and they are broke all the time, simply becuz they live way beyond their means, carry too much debt, and refuse to save anything.

A lot of fighting over money could be prevented if people just learned how to manage their money better. I have always thought that there should be manditory finance & budgeting courses in every high school; and, no diploma without it.

OK, I'll get off my :soap: now ... have a wonderful weekend!!! :flow2:

greeneggsandtam
04-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Rosebud - thanks for the advice. It's no soapbox. Not for me anyways. and By the way ....
:bravo::congrat::balloons:
It sounds like everything is going VERY well for you. Excellent work.

I have come to the decision that I really need to visit here more often than I have been. I tend to avoid coming around if I haven't been exercising or watching what I eat. So regardless of whether I am munching on a cookie or heading out for a walk, I will check in to try to keep myself more accountable.

And now I am off to plan for the afternoon and then after teaching to hit the books. I can't believe they have an emoticon for that.
:book2:

greeneggsandtam
04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
ok...okok....ok... here it is.... (drumroll) I am going to attempt zumba. again. tonight.
I've gone for a wee walk and picked up some broccoli and a pear for a snack and enjoying the sun. woot! I hope everyone is doing well and loving life!
xxtam

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
TAM ~ that' great -- I am so happy for you. Let us know how it goes. One lady here taking it, says her knees hurt at first, so when they start to hurt, rest them a bit then continue on with other moves. I know it looks easy, but I bet at first, it is a bit taxing ... have lots & lots of fun!!!:D

josey
04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
@Tam - Noooooo! Do or do not, there is no try!!!!!! I don't want to here "attempt" Zumba. Go and rock that place!!!

greeneggsandtam
04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Crud. I stayed at work until five and didn't get home in time. I did not do. As a result of not planning.

josey
04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
@Aunty Jam - going up there tomorrow!!! Gotta cheer on my boys again the Rush (Calgary Roughnecks for the win!) I am actually outside of Calgary, rural but close to the city is how I like it :-) Lots of space to hang and workout.

josey
04-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Crud. I stayed at work until five and didn't get home in time. I did not do. As a result of not planning.

Next time eh? :D It's lots of fun!

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Ahhh, TAM ~ that's too bad; let us know when you do go though. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun ...

HI JOSEY ~ we used to live in the country; now moved into town. It's better for us, esp now that we have no wheels. Both place have their advantages, but I am glad to be back in town.

MORE GOOD NEWS ~ a big NSV for me this month. I decided to measure myself today; as it's been a long while since I did. Well, drum roll for me ...... ta-da -- 26" total off my whole body. Really lost a lot off my upper arms, chest (boohoo), and my thighs of all places; only 3" off my tummy, but I'll take it. I know I lost off other places becuz I can see it, so this time I also measured my forearms, wrists, etc to get a more accurate idea of how much I'm losing everywhere. This is a great incentive to work even harder ... :cheer2:

Well, we had a bit of :sunny: today so I hung out some laundry to dry; love doing that -- it always smells so fresh, esp the blankets, comforters, and linens. We're supposed to get even more sun over the weekend; sure hope they are right.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies ... :flow1:

josey
04-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Ahhh, TAM ~ that's too bad; let us know when you do go though. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun ...

HI JOSEY ~ we used to live in the country; now moved into town. It's better for us, esp now that we have no wheels. Both place have their advantages, but I am glad to be back in town.

MORE GOOD NEWS ~ a big NSV for me this month. I decided to measure myself today; as it's been a long while since I did. Well, drum roll for me ...... ta-da -- 26" total off my whole body. Really lost a lot off my upper arms, chest (boohoo), and my thighs of all places; only 3" off my tummy, but I'll take it. I know I lost off other places becuz I can see it, so this time I also measured my forearms, wrists, etc to get a more accurate idea of how much I'm losing everywhere. This is a great incentive to work even harder ... :cheer2:

Well, we had a bit of :sunny: today so I hung out some laundry to dry; love doing that -- it always smells so fresh, esp the blankets, comforters, and linens. We're supposed to get even more sun over the weekend; sure hope they are right.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies ... :flow1:

Woohooo! Great job! 26" is amazing! :carrot:

Well, see hanging laundry out to dry is not allowed in Calgary. Bylaws... Nobody cares where we live though!

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, see hanging laundry out to dry is not allowed in Calgary. Bylaws...

What? You've got to be kidding ... I've never heard of that -- a bylaw against hanging laundry out. What is their reason for that?

josey
04-21-2012, 02:01 PM
What? You've got to be kidding ... I've never heard of that -- a bylaw against hanging laundry out. What is their reason for that?

Yup, in Calgary. Not sure what the reasoning is. Looks?
No chickens in the city either. And I want chickens!!! :-)
Oh and did I mention no gardens in the front yard? No edibles allowed. Stupid really! Growing food should never be restricted by law.

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Yup, in Calgary. Not sure what the reasoning is. Looks?
No chickens in the city either. And I want chickens!!! :-) Oh and did I mention no gardens in the front yard? No edibles allowed. Stupid really! Growing food should never be restricted by law.

WHAT -- no food gardens? Really, and I can't even imagine a good reason for that. That sounds like "control" gone mad!!! :?:

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-22-2012, 12:01 PM
It sounds like everything is going VERY well for you. Excellent work.

TAM ~ Thanks for the encouragement; but I wanted to share with you that -- yes, I am finally getting a handle on my emotions and my eating has been very good over this winter. I had to find ways to curb hunger pangs by increasing my lean protein intake, etc. Every week isn't perfect, but I am getting much, much better at this.

BUT, and there's always a "but" -- I have challenges that others do not have in their lives. I have physical challenges to deal with on a daily basis -- two bad knees (from injuries that are slowly getting better), a bad back from Spina Bifida, I walk with two canes; and, I still have a long, long way to go in my weightloss journey.

My DH has Asperger's Syndrome, and was diagnosed with Alzheimers last year on top of that. He has a hearing problem, a comprehension problem & a memory problem, that are very troublesome for him on a regular basis. He gets very agitated and frustrated about all of this, needless to say. It causes problems that people cannot imagine unless they've been through it. Just getting dressed, finding things, and making a snack or a coffee can be a challenge for him, but he still wants to do things for himself, and I can understand that.

I always tell people, "Don't envy others too much, because everyone has challenges in this life!"

So, while many things are going great for us, we have these extra daily issues to deal with, and that adds a lot of stress into my life. I am very thankful that I don't eat in response to them as much anymore. I am very aware of that now, and have found strategies to deal with it that are very helpful to me.

I'm not complaining, just explaining. My faith has carried me through thus far, and I'll rely on it as I continue on this "back to good health journey" that I'm on. Some people don't like the word "journey" but I think it is so appropriate and necessary, becuz I am changing my lifestyle habits for good this time.

If I make a mistake, I don't get so upset anymore; I forgive myself becuz that's a part of this learning experience. I still enjoy what I eat -- I'm not fanatical about it all. I've created a plan that I can stick to long-term; and so it has to be realistic too. So whether you are eating a cookie or an apple, it doesn't matter. Please do continue to come back. We enjoy your company very much ... :D

greeneggsandtam
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Rosebud - You're very kind. I certainly hope I haven't minimized your experiences to a single sentence. I'm sorry if it sounded like that. I have much respect for the challenges you face and now a little more understanding.

greeneggsandtam
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Addendum:
SO excited... went to pay my soccer fees for the summer. Woot! Yeah! Time to get out the cleats and ...wait. Those soccer shorts don't fit any more. LOL. First on the list---
Time to get back to some cardio. That coach we have insists on practices. So time to shake the dust off the ...um. the gym card, the runners, the sports bra --you get the point. Love this season. I hope others are enjoying this lovely weather and having a great weekend!

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-22-2012, 03:51 PM
That's great: have fun at your soccer games. When I was younger and in better health, I used to play intramural soccer in our breaks and at lunch time -- now there's a good exercise to get & keep you in shape, for sure. :D

Luceia
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Hello All,

I hope I'm not too late to the game here, but I'm really enjoying being able to get outside this spring, and would love to connect with fellow Canadians! :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
:welcome: LUCEIA ~ no-one's ever too late here; you're just in time really. We had lovely :sunny: here for most of the day, with some brisk winds though. DH said it was chilly to be out for too long. The temps got up into the 50's, so I guess that's a quasi-spring ... ;)

UNfortuneately, they are predicting some more white stuff for tomorrow, but I hope it melts as soon as it hits the ground. I can see the buds of our perennial garden coming up in the front beds, so there's a sign of spring. Just did laundry, meals, and light housechores today; did some lurking/reading and answering mail in the afternoon, plus made some headway in a romance novel too. :D

Luceia
04-26-2012, 12:37 PM
It's been phenomenally gorgeous here lately; a little chilly today, but they're predicting another great weekend coming up. Time to take the kidlets for a day of exercise and fun in the park? I think so!! :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
:wave: LUCEIA ~ yes, I would definitely take advantage of that nice weather with the kiddies. It's still cold :brr: and windy here. Had a little more ***** fall this AM but it is a little bit lighter now; and DH is out there clearing the driveway so we can go out tomorrow.

I'm just sitting here letting my hair dry; it takes a long while. We had yummy leftovers for lunch today, and plan on having baked fish for dinner tonight. I will have salad & veggies with mine too. It's too damp and chilly to go out today; staying warm indoors.

Have a fabulous Friday everyone ... :flow2:

greeneggsandtam
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Gahhhh! TICKS. I hate them SO much. I wonder what the possibility is, of covering my whole self with mosquito netting for the next three months.
Blech. I am cautiously going for a walk. Perhaps I'll just never leave concrete ...ever again. Or touch my dogs. Nope? Maybe I need therapy. I feel crawly and itchy thinking about it.

greeneggsandtam
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi Luceia! Welcome. I love Winnipeg. --You've got it all - Golden Boy! The Forks! Awesome University! Love the stevia nicks! Lol!

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
TAM ~ don't blame you about the tick problem -- yes, do cover yourself up well if you are walking in the woods or fields. Do you have any walking paths in or around the city? That might be a lot safer ... :)

Aunty Jam
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone! :wave: :hug: Sorry for my long absences... I just find it really hard to keep up on everything. I'm doing so-so, I'm back up to 160 :( Gotta buckle down and get my arse in geer. We have an interesting money problem this month... my husband over paid the bills LoL! The good news is we're doing a little better there.. the bad news is we're literally scrounging the back of the cupboards for food and having some very odd meals. Just until friday though... and then we should be good. We've recently switched banks and they're being very helpful, refunding fees and so on.

:wave: Welcome Luceia.

Tam - Oh gaw... I hate ticks... ewewewew!

Josey - I wonder if we have those same bylaws up here? Bizarre. I hate it when they nit pick on little things like that. I've seen those back yard dryer hanger things sold so maybe we don't have the laundry one. And there are a LOT of edible flowers out there that people grow, wonder what they'd say if that was pointed out to them.

Rosebud - 3 words... You, are, amazing!

Luceia
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Luceia! Welcome. I love Winnipeg. --You've got it all - Golden Boy! The Forks! Awesome University! Love the stevia nicks! Lol!

Thanks! :) I have a love/hate relationship with this city, but at least it's been a mild winter and a warmer-than-usual spring! :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
:wave: Aunty ~ Not to worry, we're still here. Glad you have come back again. Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you found a bank that is more helpful. Our bank is awesome -- they also refund service fees and find all kinds of rebates for their customers. Plus, they helped us buy our house and found specialty insurance for us, and much more. Their financial reps are tres helpful and enthusiastic; and it's all for FREE!!! Many people don't realize that other banks have a lot more to offer; it's worth it to ask around. Ask your friends & relatives where they bank and why. I recommend our bank to all our friends and acquaintenances. :D

Hey, about overpaying bills; I got a rebate this month too. Same reason. That will go into savings; as we are doing some work on the house. We saved up all winter to put a small deck & ramp at the back of the house. Then, if I have enuff by fall, we are fixing our bathroom (our tax rebates are going towards that). We have a very large, double jacuzzi bathtub, but it's too hard for me to get in and out of; so we are planning to put in a new regular 4 piece tub & shower set.

Not only will it be more convenient, but we will save piles of $$$ on the hydro & hot water. This large tub takes a whole tank of hot water :dizzy: each time you use it; whereas a shower takes only a fraction of that. With the regular soaker tub, one can still have a bath if they want to; or have a shower as desired. One thing at a time; we'll get 'er all done eventually.

We went up town to do our banking, pay bills, and errands this AM. It was warm and :sunny: and way too windy. Now, it has clouded over and there has been a few drop of :rain: ... oh well, my garden needs watering anyways.

HI LUCEIA ~ I've heard they have lots of skitters there; is that why you love and hate it? Glad the weather is nice right now at least.

Hope everyone has a Marvellous Month of May .... :flow1:

greeneggsandtam
05-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Good Spring Morning All!
Hugs to you Aunty Jam! Nice to see you!
Rosebud - do you already have your garden in?
Luceia - Hello!!
Well -- I went to the gym yesterday! Woot! I've found the optimum time is before work. Nice and empty - It's a crazy small change room....I went after work last week and there were a bajillion kids. Yikes!! So before work it will be!
Hugs to all - Enjoy the balance of your week!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
TAM ~ in the front of our house, there are two PERENNIAL flower gardens; the flowers just come up by themselves in spring. The ones coming up are the Lilies: big tall orange ones. I think you can see them in this picture; this is from last summer ...

42152 42151

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-10-2012, 02:57 PM
:wave: Well, we've had :sunny: for most of the day, but the winds were awful -- just bone-chilling really. However, the guys got our back deck finished today and it looks great. I'll have to get a new camera soon, so I can take pictures of it. Our friend took pictures so he can show his family and have a record of things he's done -- and, he said that DH was very helpful to him, so that made him feel good too!

We have our BBQ up there already. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow. If it is, I'll BBQ a nice steak on there for me and burgers for DH. :D I have a pop-up screen tent that will fit right on there if the buggies get too bad this year. Last year, there were hardly any by the time we got here, but I have it just in case we need it. I'll be able to sit out there and not get carried away by the skitters ... ;)

Hope you are all having nice spring weather. That is what our weather is like right now -- typical spring weather, and that s just fine by us. Have a great day, and a fantabulous Friday tomorrow too ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow, a whole week has past by since I was here. We've been busy doing stuff around the house and outside. OH, I am sure lovin' our new deck and ramp. I can get outside much easier and walk around so I was helping DH tidy the back porch area. This has convinced me to put a smaller ramp in the front as well; hopefully we can get that done by fall or sooner depending on available $funds$. ;)

Yesterday, we put up our last big aluminum blind; it gave us a bit of trouble but we finally got it on the third try. My patience was thoroughly tested. ;)
Nice to finally have that all done though. WE also did some re-sorting and the room came back together much more organized and roomier too.

Our spring long weekend is here; hope all our Canadians have lovely weather to enjoy it. Some of our friends and neighbours are going to their special camping spots this weekend.

The weather is wet & cool today, but it is supposed to be very :hot: and :sunny: this whole weekend -- it may even get up into the 90's! :yikes: That's more like mid to late summer weather for here ... :)

:flow1: Have a wonderful long weekend everyone ... :flow1:

spiritualflow
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey guys!

So I am a fellow Canadian from Toronto (or Torono, for all you T-Dot peeps :). I've only been on this forum for almost 2 weeks. In my first week I dropped 4 pounds!! I also just got off TOM which probably had something to do with it lol. I hope I lost a pound or 2 this week! (I weigh in on Tuesdays!)

I decided to start my own thread for my personal challenge, to see if anybody else wanted to join me. I expected around 2-4 people to say Yes! But now I have 20+ fellow supporters!! We're all in this together! I am very pleased at the amount of support this forum has to offer.

My thread link is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/258526-back-school-challenge-anybody.html

Check it out!

I don't know what else to say about myself... I'm a Music Education student, hoping to teach High School Music one day. I love cats, music, anime, games, pretty much everything lol. I guess that's it for now :) Bye for now~

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-19-2012, 07:11 PM
:welcome: Glad you dropped by our Canadian Thread for a visit. I was actually born in southern Ontario, so I have been to Toronto many times. I came north to attend college (ended up going twice); and just stayed ... ;)

That is nice that so many people have joined your fall challenge thread. I agree the people here are very supportive -- I am sure it is becuz we all know how each other feels. We all face the same challenges every day too.

Drop by again whenever you have time, we love to have lots & lots of Canadian visitors ... :D

chocoholic21
05-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Well hello! :)

I am a fellow Canadian fat chick from Windsor, Ontario. I'm currently living in Ottawa for university and for co-op placements in the government.

I've had a really hard time with my weight my entire life and was a very overweight/obese child. I'm putting it all behind me now and I am ready to be FIT.

I have been gaining and losing the same five pounds for the past month and I think I finally might be cracking this plateau because I am back to 199lbs.

Super excited to get and give support here :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-20-2012, 01:46 AM
:welcome2: CHOCOHOLIC21 ~ I lived in the Guelph area originally; went to high school there. Now I am up in the Timmins area (in a small town north of it). That sounds like fun to be in Ottawa for your schooling and placements. Glad you finally broke back into Onederland too ... :D

withinmygrasp
05-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Hello Canadians!

I'm a student from Edmonton, AB. Nice weather out here this weekend, so I have been busy trying to get outside and play some sports and make use of the sun!

I'm at my all time highest weight and ready for a huge change. I just weighed myself and am down a lb. Is that possible? I'm not sure, but i'm counting it! Hopefully I will see the scale drop as I increase my exercise and attempt to eat healthier!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
WITHIN ~ we have a few other ladies from out that way; they should pop by again soon. People get really busy come summer, so the thread gets a wee bit bare during that time, but we try to keep it going anyways. I'd bet if you keep busy and eat healthy (and yes, that means less) you could very well lose a good amount by fall.

It was very :hot: :hot: :hot: here today -- way up into the 90's F!!! We went shopping and got some stuff for our gardens: soil, compost, water hose, a spade shovel, and a nice big pot of cherry tomato plants (has some tomatoes on it already too). I also bought some more seed: lots of green beans, onion sets, and grass seed for the bare spots. We'll do all that tomorrow or the next day, as my legs & feet are sore from all that walking.

Supposed to get some :rain: overnight; that should cool things off nicely. Have a great week coming up, ladies ... :flow1:

spiritualflow
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
lol 90F? shouldn't you use Celcius!? I actually suck at Farenheit :(

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
:lol: Well, our age is showing isn't it? I'd guess from your comment that you are in your twenties, and I'm in my early 50's (although, people say that I look like I'm in my 30's).

In primary school (and high school), they taught us the old standard measurements. By the time I was in college the second time around (in my late twenties), they had switched to newer method (thanks to PM Pierre Elliot Trudeau). Heck, I can't even remember what they called them ~ Eee-Gads, it's the new Metric System vs the old Standard.

It felt weird having to relearn everything all over again (mm & cm instead of inches; liters instead of quarts; meters instead of yards; celcius instead of Farenheit; kilograms instead of pounds; and kilometers instead of miles, etc). We had to learn it twice, but younger generations learned the metric system from childhood, which is easier.

Actually, I always use Celcius in the winter time; but prefer the Farenheit measurements in the summer; not sure why that is. I found Farenheit easier to remember, but I guess it depends on what you learned in school too.

So, let's just say that it was in the 30's C ... Plainly, it was very :hot: out there ... ;)

PS ~ BTW, our American friends here still use the old standard measurements for everything; and I am constantly having to transpose the temps for them so they understand what I mean, but when I come on this Canadian thread, I have to try to remember to switch back again. I remember when Pierre made that big change -- our generation was caught in the middle, so2speak; and they were none too happy about it, trust me. You probably weren't even born yet, so you wouldn't remember the big controversy we had over it at the time. So, that's your Canadian History lesson for the day! :D

On the bright side ~ I was just talking about this with my DH over coffee; and I just realized that maybe we have the best of both worlds, becuz we know both systems and can relate to people who use either version as well ... ;)

spiritualflow
05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
LOL trueee my mom is 61 (yea, she is 40 years older than me lol) and She uses Farenheit alll the time. She doesn't understand metric at all... I keep telling her "hey a yard is basically a meter, and there are 100 centimetres in a meter, so just tell me how much percent of a yard and you'll be fine!" But I guess that is confusing.. LOL.