Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #1  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

S/C/G: 178/172/130

Height: 5'

Default Going on a cruise......

Yes.....it is vaka time again and I am heading on another cruise. Last time I gained 10 pounds

Last time I had lots of fruits and veggies (salads).....but there is the chocolate buffet as well as the lava cake

I know that I need to lay off those.....but the "normal" foods are still high sodium, sugar, ect. This time my bf and I plan on hitting the gym and at least using the treadmill daily......

Do you have any suggestions on trying to at least maintain and not gain while on a cruise ship?
peachypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

I am always overwhelmed by the foods on a cruise - so much, so pretty, so yummy! I walk EVERDAY, outside, around the ship. I don't use the treadmills - too boring, and I love the fresh air walking outside on the decks. You can find out how many times around makes a mile, and do as much as you'd like. I try to walk a couple miles first thing in the morning, when there aren't many people around, and then I feel like I'm ready for the day. Because I've walked, I have a little voice in my head at meals that tells me not to mess up the exercise by over-eating. Bottom line, willpower is what it takes! And make smart choices - no fried foods, no mayonnaise-y salads, and maybe one little dessert. Have a great time!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Cruise ships are huge so as long as you get a good amount of walking in a day, you should be fine. Same when you dock at a port. Take the opportunity to walk and explore for a bit.

STAY away from alot of the cooked veggies as well, because most are loaded with oils and butter. So deceiving. Same with alcohol xD...
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #4  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

Congrats on a upcoming cruise!! I think they are the best vacations Last time my husband and I went on a cruise, I was very surprised that I had only gained a couple pounds. That says a lot on a cruise right?! I didn't really restrict my food that much, but we walked A LOT in port and out of a week, we hit the gym at least 3 times. So, just keep on the move and be sure to get all your food groups (not just the carbs) and I think you'll be just fine
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

You could have a rule that you'll ONLY eat interesting/exotic foods you can't get or buy at home. So no macaroni salad, fried rice, plain old chocolate chip cookies or other "fillers."

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #6  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

Thanks yall!!!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I like what freelancemomma said. Nobody gains weight from one serving of escargot. It's the 24-7 pizza and ice cream combined with those delicious little fruity drinks and warm chocolate melting cake that will get you. I too am going on a cruise (in August), and I thought maybe eating only in the dining room for dinner might help. Buffets always get me because I feel like I have to try everything. Well you know that on that cruise ship everything is a tremendous amount of food. Maybe if you eat dinner service, you could just pick the thing that sounds best and limit yourself that way? It's the stupid ice cream that is hard to avoid...
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #8  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

Actually......is the chocolate cake you get from room service.....even better than the lava cake from the dining room (Carnival that is). But yes, trying all the little bits.....adds up. Just gotta be careful but have fun too. But I am not a fan of the little drinks that cost big bucks....just not worth it really.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #9  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I love cruising and go once a year so I definitely understand the worry about overindulging.

I think your plan is similar to how I approached it last August. At dinner, my travel partners would order 3-4 entrees EACH and gorge whereas I ordered one thing and my bf ordered another and we shared it so we could taste both without over-doing it. Sharing plates let me taste everything without forcing myself to eat everything or feeling left out.

DEFINITELY take advantage of the gym! The ship I was on also had a steam room and it was so relaxing at the end of a workout just to sit there and feel like you are getting a free facial .

I'm going to resonate what other people have said
-Take stairs instead of elevators (It's faster anyway....elevators are ALWAYS slow)
-Do lots of walking to enjoy the view

After a few times cruising, I found that the food sometimes gets repetitive (especially the lunch buffet) so the first day you are overwhelmed with the choices but it's often repeated (at least a portion of it) during your entire stay. Don't feel overwhelmed to eat everything on the first day (I had that experience when I went on the first time )

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #10  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

ooooo Sharing dinner sounds like a good idea.....thanks! Last year I tried to eat a big salad at the buffet before I picked out anything else. (I have issues going when I am not home and need LOTS of fiber to move things along.....plus it helps fill up before going for the high calorie items) I think the only thing we didn't do last year was go to the gym......we did do a bunch of walking on board but not for a purpose....just strolling. We have both said we want to go to the gym this time. I just don't want to feel like I totally screwed up when I get home......yanno.