General chatter - The Hunger Games! :)

View Full Version : The Hunger Games! :)

tessendicott
03-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Who has midnight tickets!?!
I'm sick, but I'm still going tonight. I bought mine and Mack's tickets the night they went on sale.

Also, for those of you who haven't heard already, this came from an interview with Jennifer Lawrence, "We weren't going to make a watered-down version of what we love. If you take the violence and brutality out of the movie, you take the entire heart out of it."

I (and many others I'm sure) am so happy they didn't screw it up by taking any of the violence out of it.

I am so excited, the trailer didn't really give you much information on anything, which I like. <3

mammasita
03-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I am SOOOOOOO going to see this saturday night. I had never heard of the book(s), but when I saw the preview I KNEW I had to see it.

CanadianCutie
03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
I guess I'm in the minority. I loved the book (I haven't read the second or third yet), but I have no interest in the movie. The trailer just looked like a bunch of actors chewing the scenery.

BananaMontana
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm going today at noon with my husband and another couple. Of the 4 of us, I'm the only one who has read it and no one else thinks the movie looks good. Everyone else is coming because we're going to a steak house afterwards :lol:

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
SPOILER ALERT, sort of!
I've got to tell you ladies, the movie was such a huge disappointment. Have no desire to see it again or to see the others I'm sure they'll make.
They didn't really show any of the brutality. It really took the heart out of it.

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I am SOOOOOOO going to see this saturday night. I had never heard of the book(s), but when I saw the preview I KNEW I had to see it.

You should read the books instead, they're amazing.

mammasita
03-23-2012, 02:15 PM
SPOILER ALERT, sort of!
I've got to tell you ladies, the movie was such a huge disappointment. Have no desire to see it again or to see the others I'm sure they'll make.
They didn't really show any of the brutality. It really took the heart out of it.

BOOOOOO, that sucks. That makes me want to wait until it comes out on DVD/bluray

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 02:23 PM
If I were you, I would. I'd read the books and then wait.
I am a HUGE fan and thought I would absolutely adore the movie. As soon as it ended, I looked at Mack and said, "I am SO glad those tickets were free and we didn't pay to see that crap."

XLMuffnTop
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Are the books geared towards adults or the teenage range? I've gotten some mixed info on that but I'm looking for some summer reading material. I can't re-read what I have on my Kindle/bookshelf one more time! :D

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
They were originally geared for teens, but I don't think I would have read something that brutal as a teenager. I really enjoyed them as an adult. They don't seem like they were specifically written for teenagers. I know more adults than teens that have read them.

XLMuffnTop
03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I may see if I can find a friend with a copy to borrow. I have pretty funky tastes.

CanadianCutie
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree with tessendicott, the books do not feel like they were written for teens, though I know that is the target audience. Then again a lot of teen books are better written than the ones I read as a kid.

kellie105
03-23-2012, 03:28 PM
What!!!??? Im so heartbroken. Im going to see the movie tomorrow..ive waited and waited for that moment and im devistated to hear that its not good...sigh

mammasita
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Hmmmm, I'll have to take a look at the books then.

I'm a HUGE Harry Potter fan....and anything fantasy/sci-fi (Battlestar Gallactica, Firefly, Star Wars, Star Trek......

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
What!!!??? Im so heartbroken. Im going to see the movie tomorrow..ive waited and waited for that moment and im devistated to hear that its not good...sigh

Maybe other people will like it. This is one movie that I think should have left the violence in.

XLMuffnTop
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe HBO should have done it. :) They left all the sex and violence in Game of Thrones. Heh.

tessendicott
03-23-2012, 09:48 PM
I wish HBO would have. It probably would have been better.
Just felt like they had taken out what the books were about when they took out the violence. I'm sure other people will disagree and say that it's violent enough, but the cameras are moving so incredibly fast that all you get is a flash of a knife being thrown or a sword here and there. It REALLY bothered me.

MedChick87
03-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I just saw it a few hours ago and I personally loved it! I don't think it displayed all of the gore/violence in the books, but they did have a PG13 rating to stick to. It's funny how 2 people who both love the books can have such a different opinion of the movie! Lol. I'll definitely be seeing this one again. I thought it was perfectly cast and the acting/filmmaking was great.

lyrical
03-24-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm seeing it tomorrow! I actually hadn't heard of the series till I saw the previews. Decided it would be best to see the movie first then read the series, because as we all know movies are never as good as the books! Hope its good, it looks like people are either really liking it or hating it! *fingers crossed*

AlyN
03-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Some violence as taken out...but the heart of it was there. Every death was shown very accordingly in my opinion. But the movie was PG 13. For a reason, the books were under scholastic sponsorship, aimed at young readers. While adults like myself fell in love, it couldn't be portrayed in an HBO true blood kind of fashion. None of the aimed audience could see it then. I enjoyed the movie! Cato was perfectly savage. If anything the movie didn't show how hard it was to survive! I would go see it again though.

CrystalZ10
03-24-2012, 02:22 AM
Maybe other people will like it. This is one movie that I think should have left the violence in.

I'm glad they are not focusing on the volent stuff. Going to see it with my 11 year old stepdaughter and was worried it would be too intense for her.

tessendicott
03-24-2012, 09:38 PM
My point being that if the kids have already read the books, they've imagined it WAY more violently than it was portrayed on screen, so I don't see the problem with the cameras not shaking the entire time someone is being killed so you don't really see anything.

I knew other people would love it. I also saw it at 12am when I'm sick and pmsing, so I may watch it again once it's on DVD.

Horo
03-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I went with a fan of the books to the premier and enjoyed it for having never read the books myself. It certainly got me interested in reading the books, which my friend told me were much better.. Movies based on books always end up fudged due to time constraints and those making the movie trying to appeal to a wide-as-possible audience, but with nothing to compare it so I thought it was pretty good.

rlb1987
03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I didn't get to go to the midnight show, but I went Friday night after I got off work. I really loved the movie and I thought they did a great job including the violence of the books within the constraints of the PG-13 rating. I'm not much for a lot of violence and gore, though.

The movie could have very easily been rated R if they hadn't disguised some of the gore with the shaky cam, and that would have taken away a lot of viewership, I think. Suzanne Collins had a hand in writing the script, so I feel like the heart of the book and the brutality was still there even if it wasn't as explicit as it could have been.

I enjoyed the movie and felt like it really brought the book to life for me. That said, I definitely think the book was better, but that's almost always the case. I wasn't disappointed, and my hubby said he liked the movie as well. (He's never read the books.)

Smiling_Sara
03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
SPOILER ALERT, sort of!

It's PG-13, did you really expect them to? I saw the movie, I enjoyed it, and actually thought it was kind of graphic for a PG-13 movie. Teen on teen violence, I can see parents kind of getting into a uproar over it. And if it was more graphic, it would of gotten an R rating, and thus not be seen by many of it's target audience.

tessendicott
03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
It's PG-13, did you really expect them to?

Yes, actually, I did expect them to leave more of it in than they did. 13 year olds have probably seen a lot worse on cable television. It would be stupid for parents to get in an uproar if their kids have already read the books.

Maybe it's just because I don't have kids. Like I said, it would be great for HBO to do it as a mini-series for the adults who read it.

threekidsandasheltie
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I enjoyed the movie, but of course I loved the book more. I was upset that they left out a big part in the end between Katniss and Peeta, but other wise I loved it.

tessendicott
03-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I was really disappointed about that as well. They made it seem like everything was sunshine and flowers between them.

Also, can I just say that this is something that I know at least 99.9% of people will agree with, the muttations SUCKED.

LittleKitty
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I am a huge fan of the books and I absolutely loved the movie! I thought it stayed true to the books and was plenty violent enough. I thought it was a bit too violent for PG13 and I don't have children.

I think it is extremely difficult for the makers of movies that were first books. Reading a book is such a personal and unique thing. Each person imagines each character differently and each sequence differently and each person feels an attachment to his or her imaginings particularly when a book is well loved. There are always going to be aspects of a movie that weren't exactly as we imagined them but as a whole I think the movie makers did a pretty good job.

ade903
03-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Loved the movie. (Loved the books more...obviously the character development was more in depth).

Trazey34
03-26-2012, 04:14 PM
I took a bunch of teens to the late show, they all loved it but clearly I'm not the target audience LOL Everyone keeps telling me "it's because you didn't read the books" wellll that kind of has the earmark of a crappy movie, if you have to go with a lot of back knowledge. I mean, I never read Lord of the Rings, but thoroughly enjoyed all the movies!

I kept waiting for Richard Dawson & Schwarzenneger to show up LOL after all, it was Running Man! hahah

but as I say, I'm not the target audience!

msrebridge
03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
How am I just now noticing this thread??? Ugh! I'm disappointed in myself. I saw it at midnight and I cried every five minutes. I was ridiculous. I thought they did a great book to film translation. There were a few things I'd like to change, but...I loved it. Loved loved loved.

Team Peeta.

lyrical
03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Saw it, loved it! Out to buy the books now! :)

rlb1987
03-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Saw it, loved it! Out to buy the books now! :)

The books are amazing and 110x better than the movie (and I thought the movie was excellent). Be prepared to get hooked and not be able to put them down! I could not stop reading them! :D

CrystalZ10
03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Soooo dissapointed to read this, but I guess with all the closet bigots out there, I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought that the girl who played Rue, and Lenny Kravitz were perfect in their roles.
http://http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hunger-games-lenny-kravitz-amandla-stenberg-304685

pnkrckpixikat
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
The people up in arms about "miscasting" obviously didnt read the books or didnt read them well... they were both described as dark skinned... i personally pictured Rue hispanic for some reason... i think its the california girl in me, agricultural workers = most likely to be immigrants :s

but I really liked who they picked.

I was fine with the violence level, im not a fan of gore tho, i much prefer the cutaways. Im not sure how much i liked their watering down on how hard it was to survive, how it took her until she was almost passed out of dehydration to find water etc. Im also not sure how much I liked them cutting away from the games to show the gamemakers but it was probably the best way to explain some of the things her thoughts told us in the books.

all in all i thoroughly enjoyed it tho :) wish the second ones release date wasnt all the way off in november of 2013 tho :(

BananaMontana
03-28-2012, 12:20 AM
I really enjoyed the movie.
The 3 people I went with who hadn't read the books all liked it as well, so that's good.

Obviously some things were different than the books, but I think the only thing that really disappointed me were the mutts.

MedChick87
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Also, can I just say that this is something that I know at least 99.9% of people will agree with, the muttations SUCKED.

YES. This was probably the only disappointment I had with the movie. I know it would have been difficult to accurately portray the muttations, but they were the most haunting part of the book IMO!