Pregnant - Nursing - Losing Weight before TTC #2!

View Full Version : Losing Weight before TTC #2!

GirlyGirl
03-22-2012, 12:28 PM
So, my son is 17 months old in a couple of days, and I have babies on the brain! I am excited to try again for another baby, but I'm not going to until the beginning of next year. In the mean time, I am working hard to get to my goal weight. I became pregnant with my son at 228 pounds, and while my pregnancy went very well and was uneventful, I missed out on some of the fun pregnancy moments. My belly didn't show until near the end, I didn't do maternity pictures because I wasn't showing, I didn't get to wear cute maternity clothes - only what Motherhood Maternity had in the back on their store in their meager (at best) plus size section.

If I am fortunate enough to get pregnant again, I will love being able to have a cute belly and shop wherever I want for maternity clothes!

Is anyone else in the same boat?

gretel
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm also trying to lose weight before TTC #2. My story is a bit different than yours though. My daughter is now 6 months. I was 193 before when I got the positive and only gained 22 pounds. But, my blood pressure was always borderline high and the doctors put me through so many tests to rule out pre-eclampsia. Then, 3 weeks before her due date she measured at 8 pounds 15 ounces (via ultrasound). I ended up having a c-section when she was due and thankfully she was only 8 pound 12 ounces. I was high risk for injury going naturally and my risk would have been much lower if I weighed less. Simply, I don't to go through any of that again. I'm still nursing, so I'm only aiming to lose a half pound a week. It's a very slow process! I'd like to be out of the obese category before trying for #2. I really hope we can help each other on our way :)

GirlyGirl
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm also trying to lose weight before TTC #2. My story is a bit different than yours though. My daughter is now 6 months. I was 193 before when I got the positive and only gained 22 pounds. But, my blood pressure was always borderline high and the doctors put me through so many tests to rule out pre-eclampsia. Then, 3 weeks before her due date she measured at 8 pounds 15 ounces (via ultrasound). I ended up having a c-section when she was due and thankfully she was only 8 pound 12 ounces. I was high risk for injury going naturally and my risk would have been much lower if I weighed less. Simply, I don't to go through any of that again. I'm still nursing, so I'm only aiming to lose a half pound a week. It's a very slow process! I'd like to be out of the obese category before trying for #2. I really hope we can help each other on our way :)

We can definitely do it! I think it's awesome that you are already working on your goal now, I didn't start until my son was 16 months old. Even if it's a slow process because of nursing, you are doing it and that's what matters!

lovemydoggiesx2
03-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Im losing to TTC #1. Ive had 2 IVFs and am doing a 3rd this summer when the hubby gets home from Afganistan. I still need to lose 20ish pounds before my Dr. wants me to do it!

Good luck ladies!

gretel
03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
GirlyGirl - Thank you for the encouragement! I agree, we can do this!

But I need to stop sabotaging myself. Ugh, I wish I could stay committed to this. I've been on a break for the last two weeks. And while I haven't gained anything, I also have zero progress. My excuse is that I was on travel. I should have had time to exercise, but all I did was worry about pumping while away.

lovemydoggiesx2 - I joined a thread to lose weight before #1, and I lost 7 pounds before getting pregnant! I would wager that you are in pretty good shape judging by your pic, and making good progress. What kind of doggies do you have?

GirlyGirl
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
lovemydoggiesx2, good for you for reaching for your goal, it will be so worth it in the end! You are more than welcome on this thread for encouragement and support!!

[QUOTE=gretel;4269079]GirlyGirl - Thank you for the encouragement! I agree, we can do this!

But I need to stop sabotaging myself. Ugh, I wish I could stay committed to this. I've been on a break for the last two weeks. And while I haven't gained anything, I also have zero progress. My excuse is that I was on travel. I should have had time to exercise, but all I did was worry about pumping while away.

QUOTE]

Today is a new day, and you can get back your mojo! I know it's not easy, but you have done so well and remember how good it feels to be healthier! Keep going!

Earth Goddess
03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Hello! wow you have a few things to lose for I see your planning on going to disney, that is so cool I want to go lol, I went with my senior class trip and I can say at the time I was alot smaller than I am now but I was "fat" and I wore pants and a hoodie the whole time (yes I was sweating my butt off) and I felt like I was to "fat" for the rides I cant imagine how Id feel now being much bigger. Anyways on to the TTC topic, me too kinda I am waiting 3 more years until I TTC for #4 but my goal is to be 160lbs or less by then, Id love to have the cute belly and wear cute maternity clothes, as I did not have that chance with my other 3. Good luck mama we can do this!

GirlyGirl
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Earth Goddess, and welcome! I know exactly what you mean about the clothes, there are slim-pickings for plus size women, it's just stressful trying to find things to where! You don't have far to go, you can reach 160 for sure!

Pepino
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I want to be in excellent shape before TTC#2. I really feel like my pregnancy and delivery would have been easier had I been exercising before my pregnancy. So I definitely plan on being super-fit before the next one. lol my son is only 9 1/2 months old and I cannot wait to have another! But I have to force myself to wait because A) I don't want them that close together in age and B) financial reasons and C) The UN and WHO did a study and apparently around 2 1/2 years apart in age is ideal for both the health of the mother and the health of the baby

Porthardygurl
04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Im in the same boat too. .I gained 50 pounds with my first and im almost 90 pounds overweight. I suffered from severe pre-eclampsia and gestational diabitis and like the other women.. my stomach never showed until the end and i just basically looked fat...i never really looked pregnant..and on top of it..i could only wear big plus size shirts because i couldnt fit into maternity clothes..so im trying to lose 50 to 80 pounds at least before trying.. Sigh..feels like its gonna take forever..but i wanna look like a pretty mama.

strawleyl
04-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Ladies I def kno how u feel my son will.be 2yrs old in July I want to ttc #2 but dnt want to go through what I did before wit my pregnancy.....I was a high risk pregnancy because of my blood pressure which made things sooo much more harder! My delivery was very complicated n ended in a csection I gained bout .40ish lbs gained most of the weight in the lasy trimester and then gained more weight afterwards .....I also want to be healthy before.even thinking of tryig for another my husband wants another sooo bad but understands that I dnt want to be healthy for the next one! Hopefully we can all motivate each other because i could sure use the motivation! :)

thundahthighs
04-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I was near my goal weight when I became pregnant. I gained nearly 50 pounds all told, so I am hopeful to peel it back off and cruise for a little while before I get on the merry-go-round again.

The cute preggo belly is not all it's cracked up to be, I will forewarn you.
1. People touch it. People you don't know. A lot.
2. Because we had moved, and no one in my new town had ever seen me overweight, when I was pregnant I got all the "getting fat!" jokes. Sheesh.

But, the clothes are kind of fun! Go ladies go! Get skinny and get pregnant! :dizzy: :D :carrot:

lauraemily
04-24-2012, 03:45 AM
I also would very much like to lose weight before TTC #1 for the obvious reasons. I need to lose about 30 lbs. to get to a healthy weight. I would LOVE to start TTC in the next 6-9 months when we are financially ready but I need/want to be physically ready, too, as far as my health.

In 2010, I lost weight with my husband following the Biggest Loser diet/exercise DVDs, but I quickly fell off the bandwagon when he reached his goal before I did. I have kept most of it off for about two years now, but I am struggling to find a solution that will work for me by myself since I am not a "dieter" by nature, and I just want something that is maintainable that I can stick to.

What are you all doing? I would love to keep coming back here for support if y'all don't mind!

thundahthighs
04-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Keep coming back - I do! ;)

gretel
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I've been calorie counting...and counting right up to and beyond what I should be having each day. Whoops! I have 2 months to lose 4 pounds, and then I'll be at 194 which is my prepregnancy weight....and my daughter will be 9 months old. I've had a **** of a time trying to fit exercise in my schedule. BF'ing makes me so freaking hungry! For now, I'm only focusing on that short term goal.

jessica11
04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
I still need to lose 15ish pounds

GirlyGirl
04-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi ladies! I hope you're all doing great! As of now, I have lost 48 pounds, 56 pounds left before I get to my goal. I'm calorie counting, and I take power walks every day during my lunch break, having a little one at home makes it a little tougher to get activity in so I do it while at work.

We can do it!

LizRR
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I am going to start TTC#2 soon, like next month! I started doing Ideal Protein 7 weeks ago and have lost 32 lb so far, weigh in #8 tomorrow. My son is 21 months old and in that time I crept up to my weight i was at when he was born.

The strain of the pregnancy exasperated a back problem, 3 vertebrae out of alignment which caused 2 bulging disks that aggravate 2 nerves running down my leg. My exercise routine has become drastically altered and i found my eating only increased! Losing weight is key to my pain management, especially with a hopeful pregnancy so I want to minimize that possible strain as much as possible.

I should be close to my goal and beginning phasing off assuming it 'clicks' our first month trying. Fingers crossed!

GirlyGirl
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Oooh exciting LizRR! Keeping fingers crossed for you! Congrats on the fantastic weight loss, I'm sure it will make things so much easier on your future pregnancy!

trailerprincess13
05-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't even want to post in this section because I'm in such a sad baby mood. My husband and I agreed that we would start TTC #1 after I reached my 100 pound goal. Well.....I technically started March 12 and I'm down a grand total of a pound since then. I fell off the bandwagon for most of April and gained back the 8 pounds that I had lost. I just feel icky. I can't motivate myself to work out, to eat better or anything. It sucks because the ONLY thing holding us back is my weight......

LizRR
06-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Oooh exciting LizRR! Keeping fingers crossed for you! Congrats on the fantastic weight loss, I'm sure it will make things so much easier on your future pregnancy!

Well, I decided to put off baby making until I hit goal. I am pretty anxious and wanted to "jump the gun", but really I want to make sure I am at the best condition possible. I am doing Ideal Protein (52 lb so far in 14 weeks) and have ~17lb to goal so it shouldn't be long now. I want to make sure I phase off correctly because I do fear that I would quickly gain back everything I worked for and put my back in jeopardy and want to follow the program to help avoid that...but man...I really want to start trying soon! I did go ahead and get an ovulation kit to have on hand!

I don't even want to post in this section because I'm in such a sad baby mood. My husband and I agreed that we would start TTC #1 after I reached my 100 pound goal. Well.....I technically started March 12 and I'm down a grand total of a pound since then. I fell off the bandwagon for most of April and gained back the 8 pounds that I had lost. I just feel icky. I can't motivate myself to work out, to eat better or anything. It sucks because the ONLY thing holding us back is my weight......

I nursed my son until 16 months and waited until he was weened then I had wanted to start trying last Nov, and tried to lose the weight on my own...lost 6lb in 4+ months. I am on track to lose 60lb these 4 months on IP. It's hard to do it on your own. I am doing this under my doctors supervision and also meet with a coach weekly, have you talked with your physician about your concerns? Everyday is a fresh start, make your tomorrow your DAY 1.

Verm0nster
07-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Trailerprincess, I know how you feel about the sad baby mood. I'm feeling it too. I have struggled with weight since dating my husband. We got married September 2010 and his parents are nagging us to have kids (he's an only child.) I was even nagging with myself to try and get down to business. Everything is fine with the both of us (minus weight) so we tried a couple of times. Nothing. I then kept telling myself I needed to lose weight to get pregnant. I did NOTHING about it. June 1st I decided if I wanted to have children, I had to work for it. I am down 28 pounds so far. I am really positive it's my time to become a mother, so I am doing something about it.

The point I am getting at is if you want something bad enough, it gives you the why to do it. You just have to figure out the how. If you want kids bad enough, you need to work your @ss off to get to were you want/need to be. Good luck! :goodvibes

Summer2010
07-26-2012, 02:15 PM
What a great thread....I will be TTC#2 next month or actually start in about 3 weeks....Very exciting! I gained about 75 lbs during my first pregnancy and it has taken me 2.5 years to get down to my prepregnancy weight of about 200 lbs. Now, I would like to lose 10-15 lbs more before conceiving...I have been doing Atkins for the last 3 weeks and have lost 10 lbs. I am hoping to at least get to 185 before conceiving and plan to be very mindful of what I next time I am pregnant.

Now that I have discovered this thread, I can come back often to check in! Good luck mammas!!

gretel
07-30-2012, 09:09 AM
So I have had zero progress since the last time I checked in. Every time the scale would move in the right direction, my milk supply would drop. So I would eat more....and now I'm 204.6 (a little over 10 pounds up from my pre pregnancy weight). I've come to terms with it though. I'm going to start focusing on losing weight first and whatever I pump is whatever I pump. My daughter is already 10 months old and she's eating plenty of solids too. I've also adjusted my hours at work so that I can hopefully nurse her one more time per day and eliminate the need for another bottle. *crosses fingers* Hopefully we'll both last for at least a few more months!

But the very exciting news I would like to share is...that I was accepted into a fitness program at work. For the next 6 months, I will get 3 hours of leave a week to exercise. This is the first week, so I don't have any "free" time to exercise until Wednesday. I don't have any official goals yet, but I would like to run a 5k by the time this is over. So I'd like to finish the C25K program, and restart the 30-day shred. Oh, and weight lifting...I have to just pick one thing at a time!

LizRR
08-01-2012, 12:11 AM
I have unofficially made goal, scale at home says 141 and I am now wearing a size 2. My final WI for Phase 1 is this Friday at 2pm, then I start phasing off of Ideal Protein. So 2 weeks of Phase 2, 2 weeks of Phase 3, then I would like to maintain for a short while to gauge my calorie needs before officially TTC #2...so about 3-4 months countdown?

I just don't want to balloon up again, not so much out of vanity, but more importantly for my back and pain management. I had chronic back pain for over a year after having my son With an overweight pregnancy and have been pain free for months now after losing weight, so I really want to do this right...but man, am I itching to start!

LizRR
08-01-2012, 12:50 AM
So I have had zero progress since the last time I checked in. Every time the scale would move in the right direction, my milk supply would drop. So I would eat more....and now I'm 204.6 (a little over 10 pounds up from my pre pregnancy weight). I've come to terms with it though. I'm going to start focusing on losing weight first and whatever I pump is whatever I pump. My daughter is already 10 months old and she's eating plenty of solids too. I've also adjusted my hours at work so that I can hopefully nurse her one more time per day and eliminate the need for another bottle. *crosses fingers* Hopefully we'll both last for at least a few more months!

But the very exciting news I would like to share is...that I was accepted into a fitness program at work. For the next 6 months, I will get 3 hours of leave a week to exercise. This is the first week, so I don't have any "free" time to exercise until Wednesday. I don't have any official goals yet, but I would like to run a 5k by the time this is over. So I'd like to finish the C25K program, and restart the 30-day shred. Oh, and weight lifting...I have to just pick one thing at a time!

That's awesome about your fitness program! I weight lift 3x/week and I love it! I take a class at my gym called Bodypump, an hour long weightlifting class that has ~5 minute segments covering warm-up, squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, and cool down. High repetitions and low weights using the bar with plates adjusted for each segment. I've been doing it on & off for years now, and am finally pain free where I am comfortable to pick it up again and increase my intensity like "the old days".

I am hoping in a few weeks I can pick up running again (my last race was a half marathon the day before I found out I was preggers with #1 ~Nov 2009). I was a fat runner for a long time, it kept me at an 'overweight' level, but had to cut it out after I threw my back out after I had my son and moved to 'obese' quickly without that high intensity exercise crutch.

And I totally hear you on the nursing, I went for 16 months nursing my son and continuously gained throughout until I reached my weight I delivered my son at. I really am focusing on keeping my body at a healthy level, I really wrecked my back (spondylilysthesis-3 misaligned lowest vertebra, causing 2 bulging disks that aggravate 2 nerves running down my leg) with my first pregnancy. If I knew how much damage an overweight pregnancy would have caused I would have definitely been more cautious with #1. Chronic back pain is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

LizRR
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Hello? Is anyone out there? Just a quick pop in/update. I officially met my goal weight and have been successfully maintaining since September 1, 2012 - so almost 2 months at a size 2!

I recently started a running routine so that I would have an 'established exercise routine' in the finger-crossing-scenario that our TTC#2 attempts are successful. I am doing 6-mile runs on Tue & Thur @ 5:10am, and an 8-mile run on Sat @ 7am. I also barely squeeze in a weightlifting class on Sundays @ 8:30am along with a walk to the park with my son (3-mile roundtrip) weekend afternoons (at least until the weather stops cooperating).

My schedule has gotten pretty hectic recently due to my #1 - he was diagnosed with a profound speech delay, so I am JAM PACKED from 7am-7pm with speech therapies, driving all over town (2+ hours/day), as well as WORK! So 5am runs were all I had to choose from!

1 more month of maintenance and we will 'officially' start trying for #2. I admit the first month was pretty scary, but these past few weeks have been much easier as far as keeping steady with my eating and weight maintenance. These last few scheduling hiccups didn't help, but it is a temporary situation.

LizRR
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Just one more update to this thread - I am almost 7-weeks pregnant with #2!

I actually was able to stick to plan pretty closely - I reached my goal and entered maintenance on 9/1, maintained for a few months and started up a good exercise routine (run 25-30 miles/week, weightlift 3x/week), and we started trying in December and conceived our first month trying! My due date is Sep 11th. I have been maintaining so far and have my first OB appt in 2 weeks. Very excited, nervous, anxious, happy!!!!

Mozzy
01-20-2013, 03:01 AM
Congrats Liz!

gretel
01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Congrats LizRR!

I'm down roughly 10 pounds since July. I think that I really couldn't lose weight while breastfeeding. But I weaned about 2 weeks ago and I'm hoping that I can speed up the weight loss a bit now. I'm hoping to be healthy enough to TTC this year.

LizRR
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Congrats LizRR!

I'm down roughly 10 pounds since July. I think that I really couldn't lose weight while breastfeeding. But I weaned about 2 weeks ago and I'm hoping that I can speed up the weight loss a bit now. I'm hoping to be healthy enough to TTC this year.

Oh yeah, it's tough to lose while BFing. I nursed my son for 16 months and actually gained throughout.

gretel
03-04-2013, 03:21 PM
LizRR - how is the pregnancy going?

I'm still working on trying to get to a healthy weight. I talked to my doctors a couple of months ago and I will be switching practices. My blood pressure read 149/99 with their equipment and I had it read by two other health professionals that week at 130/80. So either their equipment sucks, or they stress me out too much. Either way, it's time to move on. They did give me some food for thought though. If I really want to try for a VBAC, I should weigh less than 175 at 38 or 40 weeks pregnant. Since a normal pregnancy gain is 25-35 pounds, I should be closer to 140 before TTC. That was a tough pill to swallow at 190 pounds! But I'm holding off on things and working to that goal. At some point, I might go ahead and try anyway. Plus, I haven't found a new practice yet. I might get some differing opinions on the goal weight and pregnancy weight. But even so, I am aiming for 140 by the end of the year. It is roughly a pound a week loss, so it is possible. My LO will be 2 in September. This is not the time frame I had in mind but I do need to make sure that I'm as healthy as can be before trying to handle a newborn and a toddler.

Where is everyone else in their journeys? Is anyone else pregnant? Is anyone else still holding off?

Thedollylala
04-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Hello all! Me and dh would like to try to conceive around august/October hoping for a July 2014 baby. I currently have an iud that I am going to have removed to help my uterus repair before ttc. I also would love to lose the remaining 40 pounds to my goal weight before then. That would be ideal. Doesn't seem too busy this part of the board but I'll be in :)

gretel
05-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Hello Thedollylala!

I conceived my daughter in December 2010 after having the mirena iud taken out in October 2010. So, even though the average time to get pregnant is about a year, my body was ready to go! I hope you can meet your potential timeline :)

I still have about 40 pounds to lose. I've been stuck at 185 since my last post. I'm hoping to get over this hurdle soon so that I can be on target to have my iud removed sometime in July.

Crow
05-17-2013, 06:42 AM
I'm also in waiting to try mode, and hoping to hit my goal weight before we try for one last baby.

For a few reasons we plan to hold off until December/January, which gives me plenty of time to get in great shape. I already weigh less than I did when I fell pregnant with LittleMan.

Pepino
05-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Wow I posted in this thread over a year ago. Cool to see it is still active! Well even though I didn't reach my earlier stated goal of "SUPER FIT" before TTC#2 (LOL) I am ready to start trying.

The thing is I am sooooooooooo impatient. I just want to snap my fingers and have 'insta-pregnancy'. So I hope it doesn't take long or I might lose my mind! *insert-you-ve-already-lost-it-comment-here*

LizRR
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
LizRR - how is the pregnancy going?

I'm still working on trying to get to a healthy weight. I talked to my doctors a couple of months ago and I will be switching practices. My blood pressure read 149/99 with their equipment and I had it read by two other health professionals that week at 130/80. So either their equipment sucks, or they stress me out too much. Either way, it's time to move on. They did give me some food for thought though. If I really want to try for a VBAC, I should weigh less than 175 at 38 or 40 weeks pregnant. Since a normal pregnancy gain is 25-35 pounds, I should be closer to 140 before TTC. That was a tough pill to swallow at 190 pounds! But I'm holding off on things and working to that goal. At some point, I might go ahead and try anyway. Plus, I haven't found a new practice yet. I might get some differing opinions on the goal weight and pregnancy weight. But even so, I am aiming for 140 by the end of the year. It is roughly a pound a week loss, so it is possible. My LO will be 2 in September. This is not the time frame I had in mind but I do need to make sure that I'm as healthy as can be before trying to handle a newborn and a toddler.

Where is everyone else in their journeys? Is anyone else pregnant? Is anyone else still holding off?

OMG - apologies for the months long delay in responding!!! I haven't been on a lot lately - work got a little crazy and have been preoccupied with the pregnancy stuff. I am 26-weeks along now, entering my 3rd trimester...and boy am I feeling it! Huffing up a few flights of stairs I used to bound up.

Honestly, I've gained almost 30lb so far, more than I should have at this point - but I was ~138lb when I got preggers so I'm giving myself a little leeway. The first trimester I definitely gained more than I should have - but I literally had to eat my way through the nausea. I am still working out - I've gradually been cutting down my running and pace - prepreg I was doing 7mi/3x week & a 12mi long run...then dropped to 5mi/3x week....now dropping to 4mi/3x week - I take several walk & water breaks throught (I shouldn't call it running - it's more like a slow jog w/a lot of walk breaks!). I am still doing my Bodypump class 3x week (all over weightlifting). I track my BP and take it pretty easy. The exercise helps me tremendously with my energy, and with my back problems I need to keep strong to keep the pain at bay.

I am pretty comfortable in my body, even with the more-than-should-be gain to date. I am wearing size 8 regular jeans (with a belly band) and size small Maternity tops, I was actually still able to wear my size 2 & 4s up to my 2nd trimester. I waver on my eating, sometimes good sometimes really bad - decided to go back to fatsecret and track my meals & activity - not to "lose weight" - but to stay accountable (baby does NOT need junk food!).

Here's a shot of me at 25-weeks...it's a girl btw:
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/ear9804/photobucket-26233-1366406498144_zps4135943c.jpg (http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/ear9804/media/photobucket-26233-1366406498144_zps4135943c.jpg.html)

gretel
06-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LizRR - congrats!!!!! you are looking fantastic at 26 weeks! Keep up all of that wonderful exercise.