Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Deep-Fried Tummy Ache?

I spent a few weeks slowly prepping myself up for a full plunge back into healthier eating, gradually eliminating sugar and a lot of processed foods, buying lots of veggies, cutting down my portions, etc. I actually started tracking my food two weeks ago, focusing fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, unsalted nuts, plain non-fat greek yogurt, whole grains, etc. My intake isn't completely free of processed or high-calorie foods but they have been severely cut down. In other words, I'm eating a lot healthier again and feel I've really been doing well since I started tracking everything. While I've had burgers and the like, something I'd managed to completely avoid in that time frame is deep fried food.

However, on Thursday night my hubby took me out to eat at a trendy Tapas restaurant. For those that don't know, Tapas are Spanish-influenced appetizers. Small entrees are served on small plates, and diners are encouraged to order as many or as few plates as they like.

I ordered two plates: stuffed peppers and filet mignon sliders. While it was admittedly a splurge, I knew what to expect since they were both appetizers I'd enjoyed before, and felt that they weren't unreasonable to occasionally include in my plan. But the last time I'd ordered the sliders, I requested no onions since my husband and I were sharing and he doesn't like them. On the menu they say the onions are "caramelized," so I assumed they would be soft, browned, maybe oily but no big deal; I ordered them as-is and figured I could just pick them off if I didn't like them or thought they were too greasy. And well, this is what I got:

Yummy Food Photo Warning

They didn't seem like caramelized onions to me at all, they seemed more like deep-fried "onion straws." And had I known, I'd have asked for no onions after all. Because . . . well, I love onion rings & onion straws and decided to sample them. There weren't very many on the plate in the first place, and I ate about half of what was plated along with the sliders. My tummy felt a little achy when I went to bed that night but I didn't think much of it at the time.

I woke up early in the morning with a horrible stomachache, and immediately recognized it; I've had them a handful of times before, but only when I'd do a few weeks/months of extra-healthy eating followed by eating something deep fried. It's weird because when I'm not watching what I eat, I can eat deep fried food all day long and not have a problem! It's been so long since I've had the issue that I didn't even think about it as I was eating. And looking back, I don't think I had very much to begin with, but that might explain why the stomachache wasn't nearly as bad as it has been in the past; the first time I had one of those stomachaches it was so bad I actually considered going to the emergency room.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue? It basically feels like there's a bowling ball in my stomach. No nausea, just pain and pressure throughout my entire core; it even affects my back. It always takes several hours to go away. I've only had it happen a handful of times in my life but it's always under the same circumstances. Apparently I get used to not having deep fried food and suddenly having some does a number on me.

Heh, so perhaps I've learned a lesson from this . . . I've completely lost my appetite for anything deep fried for now.

Last edited by Elladorine; 03-26-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: removed hotlink photo and added warning ;)
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sounds to me like you have a "colicky" gall bladder. Any food with a lot of oil in it may set it off. Also, some kinds of vegetables such as broccoli could do it.

You might mention it to your doctor and see whether an ultrasound to look for gallstones would be worthwhile.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

question is, how were those sliders? lol
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #4  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

This happened to me too....it also happens when I have a lot of cheese. (I still eat cheese but not a lot). I can have a few fries - no problem, but if I eat a whole order, tummy ache. I can have a bit of cheese but I got a quesadilla the other day with way too much cheese, ate it anyway and boom tummy ache. I actually kind of like it because if I am tempted I remember that bad feeling - so not worth it! One day I will learn and steer clear of deep fried/too much cheese altogether. Side note - someone should tell the restaurant those are basically the opposite of "carmelized" onions

Last edited by begoodjen; 03-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #5  
I think I can...

This ALWAYS happens to me when I overdo it. Seems funny how you could eat these things for years and years & cut them out and end up in pain.
Count yourself lucky, mine usually involves diarrhea and gas. In January hubby & I had a weekend away at a very nice hotel for his bday and I ate a piece of double chocolate Bday cake and a bacon burger. That whole evening was spent in the bathroom (at least it was a beautiful bathroom lol)
I guess it's the body's way of saying HECK NO! Hope you feel better.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Sounds to me like you have a "colicky" gall bladder. Any food with a lot of oil in it may set it off. Also, some kinds of vegetables such as broccoli could do it.

You might mention it to your doctor and see whether an ultrasound to look for gallstones would be worthwhile.

Jay
I do have broccoli daily without issue, but I'll definitely bring this up with my doctor the next time I'm in. Both of my parents had gall bladder issues in their late 40's/early 50's. I'm still in my mid 30's but you never know how early something may hit. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemo View Post
question is, how were those sliders? lol
LOL! Those things are awesome actually, probably the best sliders I've ever had. Everything in that restaurant is given a yummy, fancy gourmet twist. I've only been there a few times and I'm glad all the portions are small. Next time I'll definitely go without onions but maybe I'll share with my husband again so we can each have just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begoodjen View Post
This happened to me too....it also happens when I have a lot of cheese. (I still eat cheese but not a lot). I can have a few fries - no problem, but if I eat a whole order, tummy ache. I can have a bit of cheese but I got a quesadilla the other day with way too much cheese, ate it anyway and boom tummy ache. I actually kind of like it because if I am tempted I remember that bad feeling - so not worth it! One day I will learn and steer clear of deep fried/too much cheese altogether. Side note - someone should tell the restaurant those are basically the opposite of "carmelized" onions
As far as I can tell I've only had the issue when it comes to deep fried goodies. The first time it hit me I was only about 20, and had some breaded chicken strips for the first time after several months of successful dieting. Unfortunately, it was my first backward step and I eventually gained back all the weight I'd lost and then some. You'd think the pain would have kept me away, but I guess I had a "screw it" attitude and gave up on trying to eat better. I'm doing my best now to be more in tune with my body's reactions to whatever I put into my mouth, and I think the tunny ache is a wake-up call I've needed this time around.

I love cheese! Luckily I'm good at keeping it in moderation. Sugar, on the other hand . . . it's best that I stay away as much as possible!

Yeah, I don't know what the chef was thinking calling those onions caramelized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzKiki View Post
This ALWAYS happens to me when I overdo it. Seems funny how you could eat these things for years and years & cut them out and end up in pain.
Count yourself lucky, mine usually involves diarrhea and gas. In January hubby & I had a weekend away at a very nice hotel for his bday and I ate a piece of double chocolate Bday cake and a bacon burger. That whole evening was spent in the bathroom (at least it was a beautiful bathroom lol)
I guess it's the body's way of saying HECK NO! Hope you feel better.
Thanks, been feeling much better. And it's probably good incentive for me to keep going with the shift to healthier eating. I actually had the bad gas/diarrhea last week due to having too much malitol! I really should know better but decided to try some sugar-free honey in my tea and went overboard; I've since cut down.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Yep definitely get your gallbladder checked! I had gallstones unusually young (discovered at 13) despite no family history and I wasn't overweight at the time and the pain you described is very similar. It spreads into your back and even up to your shoulders.. worth getting checked out anyway

Feel better!

Oh and yes I do feel this sometimes even though I've had it removed greasy food on an empty stomach is a no no. That's even more encouragement though I guess!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #8  
too big to fail

You should have warned us about those pictures! Now I can't stop thinking about little burgers, lol.

I get a stomach pains if I eat really greasy food on an empty stomach. If I am planning on "splurging", which for me means eating more calories at one meal than usual or food that I don't usually eat, I will usually skip several meals so that I have my calories saved up.

Let me tell you, eating deep fried vegetables after fasting for an entire day will mess your stomach up. I had a sudden stabbing pain in my stomach after eating about half of my food, and then I couldn't eat anymore. When I got home from the restaurant I had terrible bowel issues (I am choosing to spare you all the image). But yes, it seems normal and it should be an incentive to stick to your healthy food plan.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to ask your physician about it, just in case.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I kind of wish my body gave me this type of negative feedback when I fall off the wagon, but no such luck. I've always had and continue to have an iron stomach. I can eat nothing but healthy foods in moderate portions for weeks at a time, then go on a sugar or fried food binge and have absolutely no symptoms.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm another one who has a stomach that's not too happy with a load of deep-fried/greasy food. I can eat small quantities of fried/greasy food and be ok, but if I overdo it, my body will not be happy and it will quickly let me know.

It feels like a dead weight in my stomach and I tend to be miserable for a few hours if I overindulge so I try and remember that I can have a few bites, but that there's no way I can eat the quantities of yummy junk food that I used to be able to.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #11  
Kami

S/C/G: 318/287/160

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
You should have warned us about those pictures! Now I can't stop thinking about little burgers, lol.
Thats what I am talking about!!!

LOL

After only 1 week of healthy eating for me, I splurged on Mexican when we went out to eat for my sisters 18th birthday. That night I was dog tired. All day the next day I felt like crap! My whole body hurt, stomach aches and cramps, overactive bowels, nausiated, etc. I couldnt belive it.

I feel for you hun. While I would say its probably normal, maybe it is best if you get it checked out to be sure.
MamaBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

I have this issue AFTER having my gallbladder out Before having gallbladder out, it was a full 12-24 hours of absolute horrendous pain. Now if I eat anything fried, I will wake up in the middle of the night with the exact pain you're describing. Therefore, I've tried to learn to stay away from fried food. Acid reducer (generic, I can't remember the brand name) helps.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I ate "clean" exclusively for more than a year. When I first started eating bits of traditional American fare I experienced stomach aches, headaches, skin breakouts, etc. The difference is really amazing.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

BTW..OMGoodness, TAPAS! Went when we were in Vegas!!!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddysBuddy View Post
I have this issue AFTER having my gallbladder out Before having gallbladder out, it was a full 12-24 hours of absolute horrendous pain. Now if I eat anything fried, I will wake up in the middle of the night with the exact pain you're describing. Therefore, I've tried to learn to stay away from fried food. Acid reducer (generic, I can't remember the brand name) helps.
I get that too, but I've never had my gallbladder checked out. I often throw up after eating small amounts of greasy food, and I get severe stomach pain for several days. Wow, I should follow up with my doctor. Is it something that would be seen via ultrasound?
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote