Announcements and Forum Help! - Someone Else's Account

View Full Version : Someone Else's Account

VermontMom
03-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Yesterday when I came to this site, I was given a 'welcome ********' , someone else's name! I immediately logged out and logged in with my username, and all was well. Do you need to know the other member name that came up?

Ruthxxx
03-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Now that's interesting. Could you PM me the user name?

Suzanne 3FC
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Were you at work when it happened? If so, a coworker who used your computer could be a member.

A looooooong time ago, we used to see this as a common problem caused by ISPs serving cached pages to save bandwidth. You could view a cached page with someone else's login page, but if you were to actually try to post or access PMs, it would have asked you to log in since the login cookie for that account was not actually stored on your computer.

This could also take place at work, with a coworker that has an account here but does not use the same computer. I'm pretty sure that most ISPs don't cache this way anymore, but many company networks may still serve cached pages.

pinkxpressions
03-19-2012, 05:54 PM
The same thing happened to me yesterday. And this is my personal computer on my personal internet... so I know no one else logs on in here.

VermontMom
03-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Now that's interesting. Could you PM me the user name?

Just did so, Ruth! sorry to make you wait all day, I just got home from work.

VermontMom
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Were you at work when it happened? If so, a coworker who used your computer could be a member.

A looooooong time ago, we used to see this as a common problem caused by ISPs serving cached pages to save bandwidth. You could view a cached page with someone else's login page, but if you were to actually try to post or access PMs, it would have asked you to log in since the login cookie for that account was not actually stored on your computer.

This could also take place at work, with a coworker that has an account here but does not use the same computer. I'm pretty sure that most ISPs don't cache this way anymore, but many company networks may still serve cached pages.

Suzanne, it was from my own personal laptop, at home.

evilwomaniamshe
03-20-2012, 07:27 AM
What the hay, hay, same thing happened to me this morning! :( FYI, its my Home personal computer, I am the only one that uses it. I will pm you the user name ruth!

Suzanne 3FC
03-20-2012, 11:21 PM
It's probably a cache program used by the server. It shouldn't let you actually post as that person or access their profile, so it should still be secure. I understand the concern, though, and it must have been quite a surprise!

I'll pass this up the ladder, thanks for the info everyone!

deelee10
04-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi - the same thing happened to me. I was already "signed in" when I clicked on forums. I logged off then signed in as myself without a problem. I am on my personal laptop at home though I did access 3fc from my I Phone from an airport a couple of days ago.

VermontMom
04-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey, it happened again to me today, on my own laptop, at home. It said 'welcome ********* ( a different name from the last time) and then there was a message that I needed to click on a confirmation link to be fully logged in.

If you need the name of the member it thought I was, I'll pm it to whoever asks :)

Suzanne 3FC
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
This was reported to tech one month ago today, and I'm sorry it is happening again. I'll let them know it's happened again. If I learn anything new, I'll let you know asap!

VermontMom
04-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Okay Suzanne :) Mostly it's a feeling of shock that I'm possibly in someone else's account, the feeling of invasion. Glad that it really isn't that way.

IBobi
04-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Please let me know if this continues -- tech has reset the servers today to try to fix it.

evilwomaniamshe
04-24-2012, 06:55 AM
Nope, not fixed yet. Again I had another users account when I came to the site just now...

evilwomaniamshe
04-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Just to let you know, today is the same thing, but it is a different name than yesterday on my log in account.. :(

VermontMom
04-25-2012, 07:42 AM
evilwoman, isn't it kinda strange that it's happened to both of us twice, and with different names? :?:

evilwomaniamshe
04-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Hey Vermont,
VERY STRANGE indeed, jeeze way more than twice for me, numerous times with numerous different names each time, makes me think WTF! :(

ddc
04-25-2012, 09:09 PM
I just happened to see this thread just now....this has happened to me twice also, with two different user names from my home netbook computer. It's been a couple of weeks though.

IBobi
04-27-2012, 03:04 PM
We have restarted the server that is responsible for this; if you see this happening again, please let me know!

Paul

infoplease
04-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Paul:
Happened to me just now.
Hadn't logged in but just used the bookmark on the laptop from home.
Didn't think to try to post something under the name that came up, just logged out and logged in under my name.

My user name starts with "i" and the name that came up started with "j".

PaintedButterfly
04-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't know if this is the same thing but the other day I came to the site and it said "this IP address has been banned" but once I signed in everything was fine.

thistoo
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
This just happened to me for the first time. It showed me as logged in under someone else's name, but when I clicked on user CP it asked me to log in. Just FYI, it's still happening.

Exhale15
07-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi good morning, I logged out last night. This morning when I opened my 'bookmark', I was on someone else's account. I deleted my bookmark, restarted safari, and the same thing happened again. Then I logged out the person, and logged myself in.

XLMuffnTop
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Same thing for me today as thistoo. It says "Welcome (not my name)". Click on user CP and it asks me to log in.

Just an FYI. :)

IBobi
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
I've raised this with tech again. We'll sort it :)