Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Default Confessing a Failure

So, I screwed up big time yesterday. All week, I had been eating to stave off stress, but yesterday I ate far too many calories for a sensible person.

While working (I'm on a deadline and really stressed out), I started to think about something about which I have zero control and which really freaks me out (estranged husband has been making vague threats of violence and, much as I hope that it's just angry talk, there's a part of me that is terrified that he will hurt my family; it's an ongoing thing, but it's got me more shaken than I expected; he used to be the only safe place in my world and now it's him that I'm worried about, so nothing feels right). Once the thought was in my mind, I couldn't stop freaking out about it, got really scared, and had a full on panic attack (asthma, anxiety, inability to calm down) for like an hour (I'm going through some kind of trauma disorder as a result of some stuff that happened, not actual violence, but the threat of it). I needed to get the feelings out of my head, so I tried watching a tv show. It took me several hours on netflix to calm down, but during that time, I ordered a small thin crust pizza and ate the entire thing! I know it was spaced over about eight hours, so it wasn't like I scarfed down an entire pizza in one sitting, but, it was still a bad thing to do and it felt like a failure. With the carbs in my system and enough distraction for both tastebuds and brain, I was able to stop freaking out after several hours, but did so basically by shutting down and tuning out.

All day, I'd been exercising during breaks (Work 1.5 hours, Exercise .5 hours, repeat), but this was still a complete failure on my part and I've woken up feeling completely ashamed.

I don't know what I hope to gain by confessing my failure, maybe just staying accountable. Maybe I just want to hear if any of you have ever given in despite your own desire for control and regretted it and how you forgave yourselves for it the next day. I'm trying to remember that today is just a new day and hope that even if I panic about something today, I won't try to sedate my body with carbs again.

Last edited by neon_zephyr; 03-18-2012 at 03:43 PM.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #2  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

S/C/G: 178/172/130

Height: 5'

I know you said he only threatens....but I would take it serious and see if you can get legal (read restraining order here) assistance. Hopefully this can take the stress down a bit. Also, the next time this happens see if a friend can come over and take you to the park.....walking and talking can relieve that stress too. My bff has panic attacks all the time and sometimes all it takes is a phone call and she is ok......other times she needs me all day long. Find that one person that can be your "go to" for times like that.

However, kicking yourself in the butt for one day......not so much. You know what went wrong and how to fix it. Chalk it up to a bad day....figure out how to not let it happen again.....and move on. Like it says under my name.....improvise, adapt, and overcome. You can do this!
peachypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

I totally agree! It's just one day, one pizza, and under very special circumstances. Water under the bridge. Try to focus on the real problem here, which is the relationship with your (ex?) husband, the way to stave off violence and your panic attacks. Look after yourself...!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #4  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

peachypeg -- I don't think it's anything more than angry talk, certainly not enough for a restraining order; it's more that I'm reacting strongly because I'm going through some mild PTSD-like symptoms. I don't have many friends around here where I am at present, none that I could really call about a panic attack. I feel very much like I've failed by eating for emotional reasons, but you are right that beating myself up over it isn't going to be helpful.

inglesita -- Good point. If I get caught up in being upset about my poor coping mechanisms, I won't deal with the real issues. I'm sort of on overdrive about everything these days and so even my guilty feelings feel magnified. I guess that reality check is in order.

Today, I got back to tracking my calories and I'm under 1300. Not quite my goal; I was aiming for under 1050, but it isn't too bad overall. I think I just need to keep track more often and deliberately find better coping mechanisms.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote