Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #1  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Starve a cow...feed a fever

Since no one is posting, you will just have to put up with my new thread.

It occurs to me that in addition to having flu (I don't, so I'm thinking up other pathological ways to lose weight), one might cut down on eating by way of toothache. Ever since I got 2 giant fillings done back before Christmas, my teeth have been really sensitive to cold and hot. And I think they're getting worse; I'm going to have to call the dentist It's almost getting hard to eat! That could work!

My dd is washing her bras. She has this thing about letting them go in the wash apparently -- not that she's finicky about them, she just doesn't want to part with them. I keep telling her she has to put 2 in the wash every week, but she NEVER does, and apparently I've finally shamed her into doing something. Do you have trouble getting your kids to put clothes in the wash?

I remember when I was teenager I tended to not put things in the wash until they smelled (well, except underwear and socks) -- it wasn't because I was gross, it was because our family was on this economizing crusade and I thought I should save on that too. So when I got to college, I learned that most people put everything they wear in the wash every day. It was quite a revelation, and a relief to "have permission" not to wear half-dirty clothes -- except of course jeans which traditionally shouldn't be washed until they can stand up by themselves

Since I was bred to be frugal, I actually like to economize -- but only if it's optional!! If you can be smug and superior about it, it's much more satisfying than if you have to economize. Doing it because you have to really sucks. This is probably why I'm so depressed about this work thing with DH -- I hated all the over-frugality of my late childhood, and I was always broke until I met DH and got a good job (and a guy with a good job), so I hated being broke. Not that we're broke now, but let's face it, when you are living on unemployment checks and savings, you can't enjoy spending just because you feel like it.

Rant Rant Rant. You guys are so lucky--you get lots to read when you sign on here.

Kiwi
Old 03-09-2003, 01:55 PM   #2  

Out of lurkdom.

If it's possible to be a fan of a club, I'm a fan of this one. Have been reading a long time Hilarious posts. Just wanted to say thank you for all the 's. I know people use a bit too much on the internet, and they really DON'T LOL but I really do laugh out loud at your posts. honestly.

Hope I can chime in here now and again.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #3  
The magic shrinking cow

Kiwi- I'm sorry about the economizing thing. I'm tired of economizing, too. We're using every extra dime to pay off our debts and to get my degree finished. I'm tired of it. We went out to eat last weekend for the first time in a year and a half.

Oh well. I haven't exercised yet. I have homework to do.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:00 PM   #4  
Member w/ messiest house

Hey Cherry. I guess the hope is that when you have a young family, things will get easier over time. Doesn't always happen, of course, but especially in the present economy, not too many people are finding things easier than a few years ago. I was particularly bummed talking to my parents last night, to find that they are having to tighten their belts too. They worked and saved and saved and worked all their lives and finally had a nice comfortable retirement portfolio, and had actually been enjoying themselves without worrying about money. Until the past year when that portfolio doesn't look so great anymore. That just doesn't seem fair, does it? I have to assume that things will turn around sooner or later. Hope we're not all on the street before it does, eh?

MiaMoo, with a name like that, it sounds like you belong here!

DH is making supper tonight. I brought home the bacon and he's cooking it. Well, actually I went out for eggs, we already had the bacon. He's also making corn muffins. Apparently that's our vegetable...

By the way, everyone should watch The Importance of Being Earnest. It is hilarious, and there's nothing in that kids couldn't see. It's based on the Oscar Wilde play, set in England at the turn of the century (not this one, silly, the last one).

Kiwi
Old 03-10-2003, 02:17 AM   #5  
fatter than U

Default The Importance of Being Earnest

Haven't seen it yet. Only saw the play back in high school. It *was* hilarious.

In a matter of minutes I will be...(wait for it)...exercising!!!! Yes, today is the day. I have a million other things to do, but getting buff comes first, right? Mike Myers (Austin Powers) and I will both be turning 40 on the same day this year, so if he can make three raunchy movies in a row, what's stopping me from losing a paltry 15 lbs?

Nice rant, Kiwi!! I sometimes feel like a penny pincher too. We're *always* saving up to fly you-know-where and can still only manage it every two years so every time I want to buy something, I think, "Well, this is going to make a dent in the savings!". I've been wanting to buy a new couch for the past 10 years! I did actually order myself some new clothes for spring. It's been entirely too long and I'm tired of running around looking like a hobo. Last time we went out to eat, it cost around $100 for two adults and two kids and it was only Chinese food.

Hi Cherry! Don't worry, you'll get through it all. How's school? Giving your brain a good workout?

Hey, MiaMoo! Glad that we could brighten up your day. My kids always ask me what I'm laughing at when I read the messages here. These cows are a hoot!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #6  
fatter than U

Default Stop the presses!

I found my muffin cups *and* my black bra. Don't ask where. The meat thermometer is still AWOL.

Did 20 on the cross trainer and a weight routine afterwards. Feel a bit queasy now. Down to 163 though. Hope it lasts. I used to be a size 6 you know. How could this happen?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #7  
Most boring housewife.

I've lost an important document. I HATE being like this. Someone organize me!
No one in my family wears anything more than once. In fact, no one wears one outfit a day. Drives me nuts. I'm always shifting wash.
I'm going to start my day....I've wasted half of it already.
bye...
L
P.S. Peachbutt is supposed to be back today.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #8  

Inquiring minds want to know. Where were they, Sugar???? If you don't tell, you know ppl here will start making it up. All my family lives close by, so we don't ever have to save money for plane tickets. The down side of it is that my family lives close by. They're really driving me crazy lately. Don't even want to start on that rant.

My start weight was 164. I've lost 1/15th of the weight. I weigh 163 as of this morning. Do we have to be acting chipper to come around? If I whine about how depressed I am will that thwart everyone's weight loss efforts? Especially since I have no good reason for being depressed? I'm spoiled, I don't have to switch wash all the time, I eat out more than once a week, I just bought new furniture a couple weeks ago, I'm married to a good man, everybody's healthy, I get at least 8 hours sleep a day and I never lost my muffin pans or my black bra. I'm still feeling depressed. So slap me. I don't know what's wrong with me. What a whiney baby.

Hey MiaMoo, so much for laugh a minute, huh?

Lush, that's why I don't ever throw anything away. I even check my library books for important papers before I drop them in the return chute.

Last edited by Wabby; 03-10-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:10 PM   #9  
Most boring housewife.

Darling, you're allowed to be depressed.
I quit the 15 lb challenge. Ever since we started it, I'm doing terribly. Just now, I was eating Twizzlers. They are stale and hard, but I persisted. I am sure my jaw is now dislocated. I can't chew. I can't open my mouth. Can you believe it? I'm not depressed about it, which is proof that depression is wholly physical and has nothing whatsoever to do with new furniture.
Plus I think I have carpal tunnel. My right hand, shoulder, arm and neck are in agony whenever I type. It also hurts to sleep on them. Now that I've broken the right side of my jaw, I'm a matching set.
I'm going to bulges today. Now I'm depressed.
I don't feel like doing anything. Did I tell you I lost a r
eally important paper? I scare myself.
My cute dog wants to come in. gotta go.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #10  
fatter than U

Default W(h)ine with everything

Being depressed is totally acceptable. Bailing out of the lose-15- club is also acceptable. We are only human.

I've lost and important paper too, but I don't need it until June. I'm hoping it will show up by then.

Bra was in my underwear drawer all along although I swear I dug through there a thousand times and muffin cups were crammed into the back of the cupboard. Who woulda though it?

Tomorrow is ds6 soon to be 7's birthday. We will be playing "Pin the Eye on the Alien" and eating alien cake (green icing and three hideous eyes). The rest of the week belongs to meeeeeeeeeeee!

Do you think Peachy will really report in today? It's no fun without her.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:29 PM   #11  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Lushie!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lush
Plus I think I have carpal tunnel. My right hand, shoulder, arm and neck are in agony whenever I type. It also hurts to sleep on them. Now that I've broken the right side of my jaw, I'm a matching set.
You have mouse disease! You need, if you don't already have it, ergonomically correct computer stuff. This is going to get worse by the minute if you don't. Since it's just your right side, you probably can do without an ergo. keyboard, but you need a wrist rest for your "mousing" wrist, and you need either the right height armrest on your chair, or some other place to rest your right arm/elbow while using the mouse (one of our desks has a tray on both sides above the drawers that pulls out--I guess it's a copy stand or writing surface, whatever). As a temporary measure, you can use the mouse in your lap if you can manage it (is it a ball-type mouse or the kind without?), that might relieve some of the pain. I think the most important thing is to support your arm when you're using the mouse.

Wow, I wish I could come to the alien party! That sounds positively gruesome! Congrats on finding all those cups...

Heck, I don't generally need a reason to be depressed, either, Wabbit. I just happen to have one handy right now.

I made the mistake yesterday of trying to do one of those Flylady challenges (I think it was out of date, but who gives a
?) -- and I'm still not done. Everything I do opens up a can of worms. This was the one where you inventory what food you have in the freezer and the pantry and make some menu plans to use them up. So the freezer part went fine, so I started on the pantry....I forgot that every time I deal with the pantry in any way I have to clean the whole thing. Because of our friend, the . Even though we haven't seen any since January, back there in the nether reaches of the shelves, they have been very busy. Poop everywhere. If the pantry weren't so dark, I wouldn't be able to take food out of there at all, I would be so grossed out--but I tend to ignore the stuff at the back anyway Also our little friends had burrowed into a plastic covered coffee can in which they found a bag of flour encased in a plastic bag. They persevered, and ate about 1/2 cup of flour from the looks of it. In any case, everything needs to be wiped off, and I had to scrub down the shelves too. I am only half done. Thanks for the great idea, Flybutt.

Later, babes. Where's Bagz? Did the snow and ice melt and she got out of the house?

Kiwi
Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #12  
Most boring housewife.

I have a genuine illness!!! Mouseitis. Iwant disability, I want pity. Go ahead.
I've had a terrible day. My mom dislocated her shoulder. No one could figure out when she fell and all those nice girls who take care of her were feeling guilty but the answer is that her tendons 9or whatever the h*e* double hockeysticks they are called) are deteriorating so badly that they can't hold her bones together anymore. Did you even know such a thing existed? Thankfully, there is such a thing as morphine. It is time for serious drugs.
Kiwi, I hate to admit it, but I know you"re right.
Our little pantry pooping critter met an untimely demise in the trap just this morning. We get them with every blast of cold air that comes through NJ. The Sissy Dog does not understand her role as a critter chaser. However, she has lovely hair de Pantene and smells great.
Let's all say mean things about Peaches so she'll come and defend herself. I'm afraid to start. Mia Moo, she really loves new people, maybe you should start. Ask her a lot of questions, she loves that.
I want to come to the Alien party, too. Is the cake green? I love green cake.
Now I must retire. June says so.
bye
Old 03-11-2003, 01:41 AM   #13  
fatter than U

Default chocolate cake

but the icing will be green. And we found these very terrifying marshmallow eyeballs for the face. They're round white marshmallow balls with realistic looking green irises and black pupils. The woman in front of me in the check-out line at the supermarket commented on how disgusting they were so I knew I was on to something.

No mice yet, only silverfishhhhhhhhhh, which I hate because they're so wiggly.

Poor you, Lush! Maybe you can post with your toes and give your hand a rest? I had carpal tunnel while I was pregnant but it went away afterwards. Only went into the hand and arm though. So sorry abou your mom. Good that they are keeping her pain-free.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #14  

Hey! I can tell you all about carpal tunnel. That was a self improvement surgery I had before I came here. They did all kinds of tests where they give you a little electrical jolt on your arm and measure to see how long it takes to get to your hand. Mine took too long, so they operated on it. Outpatient surgery, but it was a real pain recovering. You can't believe everything you use those hands for.

I can also tell you about mice, or in our case it was some nasty rats, not cute little mice. I can also tell you that when you poison them, they get revenge by dying in your walls and stinking up your whole house.

One of our horses got a nail in it's hoof. How it managed to find a nail in the pasture I don't know. Now it's all infected and I have a huge vet bill. This is my DH's horse that hasn't been ridden in at least a year. He has 3 horses that he never has time to ride, but he insists that one of these days he will. I sometimes think that I should take up riding for exercise. That's as far as it gets. Just thinking.

Sugar, the birthday cakes sounds appropriately ghoulish. The boys should love it.

Ahh, Lush, I never did know such a thing existed, but I'm sure our bodies have all kinds of ways to betray us. Wish there was something I could say, but of course there isn't.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #15  
Member w/ messiest house

Your poor Mom, Lush! That sounds truly miserable. Our dog was afraid of mice. Our cats love mice, of course. When they find one indoors, they like playing with it. We put out traps too, but I really hate trapping them in the pantry -- they always seem to bleed all over the shelves ~barf~

Now, rats, I don't think I could handle that. We once spotted a rat burrowing in the snow outside our house. I suppose it might have been a muskrat, but I was plenty horrified.

Your alien cake sounds fabulous, Sugar. The boys will no doubt clamor over eating the eyeballs. I hope you have enough! They ate eyeballs on Fear Factor last night

Wabbit, for heaven's sake if you have horses, get on one and ride! I would love to ride if I had access to a horse. I use to love it when I was a teenager. Of course it would have to be a good sturdy one, for me....

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwonk; 03-12-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Closed Thread