Does it Work? - Apple cider vinegar and coconut oil

1049jess
03-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone had advice about either of these. I've been consuming ACV daily for about two weeks now, and I don't know if it's doing anything or not.
I've also consciously tried to incorporate more coconut oil into my diet. I've read good things about it.
Thoughts? Experiences?

healthynewme95
04-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm going to start drinking ACV again. It's really good for flushing your system, if you can handle the acidic feeling when swallowing and stuff. I know a lot of celebrities use it to flush their system by having two spoonfuls a day. I can say with experience, it helps.

LockItUp
04-13-2012, 05:40 PM
ACV has helped me a lot with stomach issues. I've just started using coconut oil but have read so many good things about it. It's so easy to work both in to your normal diet, and ACV is so inexpensive (the good kind with "the mother" I've found huge bottles for just a few bucks, lasts for a long time).

ValRock
04-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I use both with great results. ACV is amazing if you have allergies. Coconut oil is just plain amazing. I use it whenever I can.

puneri
04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Can you use ACV in food? How much coconut oilper day?

healthynewme95
04-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Can you use ACV in food? How much coconut oilper day?

I'm wondering this as well!

ValRock
04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm wondering this as well!

Sure! I used ACV for salad dressing, and even mix it in juice and drink it. I like the tangyness of it.

Coconut oil is awesome, but highly caloric. It is a fat, afterall :). Use as much as your plan allows. I don't see how it could hurt, other than putting you over your caloric limit if you drank it outta the jar!

ArmyWife10
04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I LOVE to use coconut oil when I make eggs! It adds flavor but it isn't sweet at all!

dstalksalot
04-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Coconut oil is great in lip balm to :-)

era28
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM
I used to do shots of ACV every morning. The only thing I really noticed is heartburn, unfortunately. I think the idea behind it is to get your body more "alkaline." Which when I took the ACV I was on a highly fat based (adkins mainly cheese) diet, so thats probably why it didnt work. I think that the Alkaline diet makes sense in theory. I have a friend that swears by it. I might try ACV again in combo with a more Alkaline diet to see if it works in the future.

i33BabyGirl33i
05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I drink ACV daily and it works for me.. i never had heartburn im sort of young so i suppose thats the reason why

Thedollylala
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
May try acv. Why not? Don't think it will hurt anything :3

kaplods
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I've tried the apple cider thing in my teens (when I would try just about anything) and I wasn't impressed with it (it didn't seem to do anything at all for me). I'm not very impressed with the research history and results.

I do use apple cider vinegar in home-made salad dressings and in cooking as a flavor inhancer or flavor balancer, but it's not my only vinegar or even my favorite (my favorite is rice wine vinegar).

I'm more impressed withcoconut oil, not only in my own experience but in the research (not a lot of research yet, so I'm not going hog wild with the coconut oil). Again, it's not my only fat, and I don't even use it daily, but I do incorporate coconut oil and other coconut foods containing coconut oil such as unsweetened coconut, coconut milk and coconut paste (called coconut manna or coconut butter - it's the coconut analogy to peanut butter).

Of all the benefits coconut oil allegedly has, the only I've noticed personally has been satiety and possibly energy level. I definitely do seem to stay full longer on meals that included coconut foods. It also seems to help slightly with energy level.

Supposedly the medium-chain fatty acid is the secret, and I do find that dairy (supposedly the only other medium-chain fatty acid common in the diet) has similar effects, which is why even though most paleo diets ban or severely limit dairy, I do include some dairy (mostly cultured/aged dairy as I'm mildly lactose-intolerant and fresh dairy doesn't agree with me).

I'm very skeptical of "miracle foods," and I don't think there's a single food that is so great that it needs to be eaten every day or to the exclusion of other foods. That being said, I'm always open to trying new foods and both coconut oil and fruit vinegars are pantry staples because they taste good and don't seem to be problem foods (high starch and high sugar foods not only trigger hunger for me, they also trigger some health issue symptoms).

luckymommy
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
When I make my kids toast, instead of using butter, I use coconut oil. I saw a trainer on Dr. Oz say that if you use two teaspoons of coconut oil in warm water and drink that before a meal (I think about 30 minutes prior) that you'll eat a whole bunch less calories, but I haven't tried that yet.

TamTam
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I put 2tsp. into one cup of grapefruit juice before meals. Will see if it works.

Taheetee
05-28-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't know about fat loss, but ACV has been amazing for me energy-wise. I did two tablespoons in a cup of water in the mornings and was still going strong by my boys bedtime. I just use a regular old brand off the grocery store shelf and I love it.

Love Paris
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
This may be a silly question but what is ACV exactly ?

TamTam
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
This may be a silly question but what is ACV exactly ?

Apple Cider Vinegar is made from apples. It is better for you than "white" vinegar. It has 5% acidity (sp?). Does this help?

beccawhite90
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
i love ACV for the taste alone, I use it with olive oil in salad dressings..

m4mitchell
06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I tried drinking a shotglass of ACV once and just about threw up in the sink (NOT recommended), but I do like using it on my salads. I haven't really noticed a difference in how I feel when using ACV versus using balsamic vinegar in salad dressing, but somehow ACV feels healthier.

Amarantha2
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I love both products for occasional use. I used to take ACV every morning and swear by its energizing effect. It aided digestion and seemed to balance my blood sugar, although these things could just be subjective placebos because I expected it to work this way. I was not in love with the taste but it was bracing. Might start doing that again lol.

Coconut in any form, including the oil and coconut water, is nirvana for me. I just love it and believe it to be very healthy.

Firecracker777
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I was drinking the ACV diluted in water and I noticed it helped with bloating. I stopped drinking because I was afraid of what it would do to my stomach. I may start drinking it again though.

As for the coconut oil, I've been using it for cooking but have never eaten it straight up or on anything like toast.

FluffyKat35
08-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Be sure to mix your ACV in bottled distilled or spring water, as the chemicals in regular water diminish the nutrients in the ACV. I read this on one of those home remedies type of sites a few months ago.

I was drinking ACV water daily for a few months. I was not, however, dieting or working out at all. BUT on the ACV I felt amazing on the inside, like it was clean, puried and running like a well oiled machine. I slacked off for a while as I concentrated on following a paleo/primal eating lifestyle and IF. I'm going to add back my ACV water on a regular basis and see how all three of these things work for me. So far, it's been great, down about 26 pounds since May 2012, and that's with A LOT of slip ups/cheats and no real exercise.

Time to kick it up an notch!

Misti in Seattle
09-05-2012, 06:57 AM
I take a tablespoonful of coconut oil on a regular basis. It is very good for you and known to help with weight loss, healthy hair and skin, etc. I asked my doctor and she agrees it is quite healthful.

meazie
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I came down with a raw throat this weekend and found some recommendations to use ACV for that. I gargled with one tbsp in cold water and it made an instant, lasting difference. Pretty cool!

2cheezygurl
09-06-2012, 05:27 AM
wow this is great. I am definitely going to try this!

Amitola
09-07-2012, 07:40 AM
I've tried taking 2 spoons of ACV for a month and I was pleased with the results but never could get used to the taste so I quit.

ChubbyChicana16
09-09-2012, 12:07 PM
What exactly is ACV supposed to do for you though?

tschaff04
10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2

ainslie
07-09-2013, 01:57 PM
I love coconut oil. It has more uses than just eating. I also use it on my daughter's eczema ( works better than her regular creams) and on chapped lips. Fantastic moisturizer for shin and hair.

jm474
07-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I've seen the acv supplements in pill form. Does anyone think that these work as well as regular acv or should I just stick to acv on my salads?

kaplods
07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Be sure to mix your ACV in bottled distilled or spring water, as the chemicals in regular water diminish the nutrients in the ACV. I read this on one of those home remedies type of sites a few months ago.

This is utter nonsense. Distilled water is not recommended as drinking water as it can, at least in theory leach minerals from the body.

Spring water may or may not have any more or fewer minerals than ordinary tap water.

Drinking bottled water is only safer or healthier than ordinary tap water if you live in an area with unsafe water. Your local health department can tell you about what is in your local water supply both before and after it is treated.

Your body has no trouble using the nutrients in any food whether the nutrients come in with, or dissolved in ordinary tap water.

MAK247
07-09-2013, 10:40 PM
This thread got me thinking, I got some ACV a while back to mix with grapefruit juice but gave it up realizing I was using up 100+ calories from my allotment by drinking the juice. This evening with dinner, I tried putting 2T ACV in my bottle of perrier which I love anyways, but it came out so good! It wasn't tart or strong, it just added a little sweetness and flavor to the water. I think I will have to make this every night now. :)

BettyBooty
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I vastly prefer red wine vinegar to cider vinegar, and the web MD article linked above actually mention white vinegar as bestowing some of the proported benefits. Does it matter between white, red wine or apple cider?

SunnySide99
07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
I've been taking ACV and coconut oil everyday for the health benefits for quite some time. I decided stop the ACV for a while because it was lowering my blood pressure too much to the point where I got lightheaded.

I miss my ACV & fresh lemon water drink in the morning, but I am feeling much better since my blood pressure back to normal.

cocoisfit
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Funny, I'm on a plan that doesn't allow vinegar because it slows weight-loss... so they claim.

shcirerf
07-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I use ACV for all kinds of things. Dilute and mix with fresh veggies for a salad.

Full strength, add 1/2 cup salt and Dawn dish soap a great weed killer!

1 cup ACV, 1/3 cup lemon juice, add water to fill 16 oz spray bottle, great cleaner!

Add 1/4 cup to each load in your dishwasher! No spots or water marks!

I also add 1/2 cup of ACV in my washer when I do laundry. We are allergic to scented detergent and softeners. The ACV, gets the clothes cleaner and leave them nice and soft!

Vinegar has a lot of great uses, however, it, like a lot of other "miracle" cures, will not take the place of eating healthy and exercising to the best of your ability.:D

ninjasaurus
07-16-2013, 02:27 AM
I really hate the taste of acv idk how everyone here manages it! I love coconut oil and use it for everything!

ShyHeather
08-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I have used ACV in the mornings with half a glass of hot water, and a teaspoon of pure honey and drink it like a tea. It tastes pretty good, and I think I should probably go back to drinking it.

What does it do?? Well, some studies say it aids in weight loss, that it does xyz... and honestly, I think it is just up to the persons body as to what it actually does.

I remember back in the day when I was just a freshman in high school, my grandma got a book on vinegar and its many uses. It covered regular o'l vinegar, and the apple cider vinegar. All I can say is, she thought vinegar was the answer to everything (just like Windex in MBFGW).