Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default One year ago, today.

March 15, 2011 was when I started keeping track of my calories, my exercise, etc in an effort to bring my weight down. I was motivated by a doctor visit that told me "lose weight, or having a baby will kill you... if you can even get pregnant." Okay, so she didn't say that, exactly, but it was a summary of why I needed to lose weight if I wanted to have children with my husband.

A brief summary of my progress: Between March and August of that year, I lost 50 pounds... but I also got married, moved from Virginia to South Carolina, lost one job and started another, and had to acclimate to a new (much more religious) community. The move was in August, and thus started a stall. I wasn't used to being still or going to so many community events surrounded by food. I managed to take just a couple more pounds off, but inevitably gained 30 back over the grouping of holidays that always makes me gain weight. My birthday is the start (Oct 9) all the ensuing Halloween festivities following that, then November hits and it's OMG THANKSGIVING and a bunch of stuff going on, then it's YAY CHRISTMAS and lots of travel and lots of food, then New Years Day, wedding fun of a friend, and more travel. I started at 300, and I am currently around 270-272.

In one year I only can claim to have lost 30 pounds. But other changes to my life include:

Much more exercise. When I started, I was lucky to walk for 30 minutes, now I do an hour on the elliptical without feeling like I'm going to die. Also, I've started strength training.

Lower resting heart rate. When I started my resting heart rate was over 90. now it hovers in the high 70s. Not ideal, but much better than it was.

Lower blood pressure. At the beginning, my blood pressure was something like 135/90... When I checked it this morning it was 108/71. That alone is something to celebrate!

More fruits and veggies: I always have salad fixins, crunchy veggies, and veggies to cook in my fridge. Apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries and grapes are almost always somewhere should I want a snack.

No more fried foods: I have not fried a single food item in a year now. I live in the south, and was raised by a southern woman. I had to reestablish my whole outlook on cooking! Everything I make now is either baked, grilled, boiled, or simmered in a yummy liquid base for flavor.

Much more energy: One year ago if you had asked me to go to the gym after spending 2+ hours walking around the store to get the bulk of the groceries for the month, I would have passed out. Now I go, and do it happily.

No more soda: I do not drink soda anymore. Occasionally if it's in the house I will have some, but generally I avoid it. I don't buy it, and now my husband is of the same mind. I drink 100% juice, skim milk, and water water water. If I want something a little sweeter, I add one of those crystal light flavor packets.

3FC/MFP: I have been active on both of these sites for the whole year and they have been a major help! I use 3FC to give and get support, and MFP to log my calories and exercise.

There's probably more, but I haven't had a physical with a blood check recently. So yeah, only 30 pounds in a year, but SO MUCH MORE in the form of NSVs, that it helps me feel like I've accomplished something.

So thank you 3FC'ers for all the support you've given me over the last year. Cheering my victories and helping to pick me up when I fall. You guys are great.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #2  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

you go girl!!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #3  
Cool Chick

S/C/G: 283/227.2/180

Height: 5' 10"

Sometimes those lifestyle change NSVs are so much more important than what the scale says! Good for you!
heathermichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #4  
Auty

S/C/G: 300/252/160

Height: 5'2

So awesome! Keep up the good work!
Auty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathermichigan View Post
Sometimes those lifestyle change NSVs are so much more important than what the scale says! Good for you!
Yeah that!!

Keep going. You didn't gain it zll in a year, no biggie if it takes several to take it off. They say that is healthier anyway. : )
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #6  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

I think you have made so many positive changes in the last year, and your attitude is inspiring!!
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #7  

30 pounds with all those changes in your life is great!!

Way to go!!!
Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Me too.
I started exercise in feb,11. But I was not losing weight. So, in June I started diet. Till now, I lost about 26 lbs.
But, now at 59, i am able to run @4.3miles per hour for 1 minute and then go to 3.1/ hr for 1 minute. I do this for about 20 minutes. I can do jumping jack for 1 minute.
I am happy with my progress. When I started, I could only go upto 2.8 m/ hr.
I feel more confident.
I just want to overcome my forgetfulness.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

WTG!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

You have done a fantastic job. 30 lbs is a great accomplishment - I'm so proud that you were able to get past your rough spot.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #11  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

thanks ya'll for the kind words it's a little harder - because it's not as exciting - the second time around, but i feel like i can get back to where i was in august, and continue downward!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #12  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

I agree with this too! Congratulations on the healthy habits and lifestyle changes that you have made in the last year. 30 pounds lost is nothing to sneeze at either!
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #13  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Exciting! Good to hear! You should be so proud!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote