100 lb. Club - Why do bellies lose slower than everwhere else!?

Vex
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Incoming - mostly ranting~
Is it really true that women have a much harder time losing weight around their midsection then men?

It's maddening to me that the rest of my body is finally at an 18 and my belly is stuck at probably a 22. Yep, I have lost inches around my waist, but geez, it makes it really hard to find jeans and trying to find tunic tees to cover the guaranteed muffin top.

rant off~

konfyoozed
03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
i feel the same way... but my brain told me "you store most of it there, of course you're gonna end up with the left overs there"... it's coming off of everywhere pretty evenly (measurements are going down in a similar fashion) it's just i have MORE inches to lose from my waist than anywhere else so it seems disproportionate to me.

i don't think i've ever *not* had a muffin top...

just keep fighting and eventually you will win! :)

MadameZombie
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I think my hardest part is my saddle bags. *sigh*

flashfacts
03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I think it depends on the women. People gain and lose weight in different patterns. I lost weight around my midsection pretty easily, but that's also the most recent place I had been gaining it. The weight in my legs/hip/butt stuck around much longer, and even now they are still relatively thick. Hehe, I've always had the opposite problem, where my jeans fit in the legs, but have masses of fabric left over in the waist.

SMSDREAMER2007
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Wish I knew :\ I feel like Ive been at a 43" waist FOREVER!! ugh...Can it go down more yet? Id like to go down a size or two in formal dresses before I break down and buy a new one. My back is another problem place too :\ My bra fits weirdly because of my back fat and it is ANNOYING!

InsideMe
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
My problem area too. I carry my weight in my midsection, upper arms and back :( wait isn't that most of my body? LOL but mainly in my stomach area. Even when was super fit my stomach was the hardest part for me to get down, so I think it will be the last to go....I don't know why it's so hard for women, maybe because we are suppose to have "extra" fluff in that area for bearing children? I have no idea! Mmm here's another theory....I saw on Dr. Oz that those who carry weight in the midsection also have fat that grows around your internal organs....maybe we are losing from the inside out so it's not noticeable on the outside???

berryblondeboys
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I think it really depends on your build and the areas you are prone to gain weight. I gain everwhere. I don't have my exact start measurments (about 3-4 weeks in), but these are my start at 255 lbs and current measurements (as of 3/1/12):

Starting chest: 47" Now: 40" (total loss of 7")
Starting Waist: 43" Now: 31" ( total loss of 12")
Starting Hips: 50" Now: 41" (total loss of 9")
Starting Arm: 18" Now: 13.25" (total loss of 4.75")
Starting Thigh: 30" Now: 23"(total loss of 7")

As you can see, I've lost the most from my waist. And guess where I still need to lose the most (of what I can see as excess)? The waist (and probably my upper arms, but that is probably a lost cause).

Matilda08
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
im the opposite and I seem to lose in the mid section area faster than the hips and thighs. Not really complaining though :)

Vex
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Yeah it's still a solid 45. whoopee. It was actually 51 last year so yes, it is going down slowly.

Nadya
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I feel the exact same way. I was wearing about a 16 in jeans and now I'm down to a 12. While my stomach is smaller than it was before, it is still the most problematic area on my body. My legs are in better shape than they were at 130, my arms probably are too. But my stomach? **** no. Just as flabby.

*pitches fit*

LiannaKole
03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm the same. I lose pretty evenly everywhere else, but my belly takes a looong time to shrink.

Actually, with jeans, I always have extra butt/hip room that I don't need if I get a waist that fits. I have NO junk in my trunk (well, a bit, but it's a small butt).

It's nice because I have small hips and legs, but then I also have a chunky waist. Ah well. I'll take it. Can't have everything all at once.

astrophe
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I think it depends on the person. I'm loosing ok in middle but extremities like arms and legs take longer for me.

A.

ValRock
03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Yup, this is different for everyone! I've had a flat tummy for a lot of lbs... but the are between my hips and knees... Let's not talk about it. I can't wait until it budges!

heathermichigan
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I ALWAYS found this to be true....until I got my blood sugar under control (I've got PCOS/IR) and eat a very carb controlled diet with almost 100% whole grains. Now my tummy loses at about the same rate.

SMSDREAMER2007
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Lianna- MINE TOO!

Heather, How low carb do you go? I used to do under 100 carbs but I find it's not mattering so much anymore as long as my carbs mainly come from whole foods like veggies and fruit instead of grains. Maybe htis is because my IR is under control now? Hmm...

kaplods
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I do think men lose belly fat faster than women, but only because generally where men gain the most weight (often it's the only place men gain weight). Some guys gain fat in the chest (creating man boobies), hips, and thighs - but that's actually less common than the men who primarily and almost exclusively gain in the belly (and if they're only gaining in the belly, that's also the only place it's going to come off of).

My hubby is a perfect example. If you only saw only my husband's butt and legs, you'd think he was a thin guy. He has a little bit of weight he could lose in the upper arm and chest area, but not all that much. Even though he weighs more than 300 lbs, he doesn't really even have man-boobies, so the belly is really the only place he can lose it.

In general though, for women especially I think that weight loss distribution varies tremendously from person to person (even some men gain weight "like women").

I read once that some health issues can predispose a person prone to put on belly fat (and find a harder time getting rid of it). The article recommended that apple-shaped women and men get tested for these issues (I don't remember the specific issues except that they were metabolic and endocrine issues - metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes, thyroid or endocrine issues...)

Even then, I think it varies tremendously, because I have several of such health issues and I don't seem to be experiencing any trouble losing around my middle.

Proportionally I've lost the most in my bust, a lot in my middle, and the least in my hips. I'm happy with my waist-loss, but I wish the hips and bust would be reversed. I'd rather keep "the girls" for as long as possible, and get rid of more of the hips/butt.

Unfortuantely (except for liposuction and other cosmetic surgeries) you don't get a choice in where the fat goes (coming on, or taking off).

heathermichigan
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
SMSDreamer, I do 45 grams at each meal (B, L, and D) plus three 15 gram snacks. It isn't really LOW carb, just controlled and spread out evenly. And like I said, I eat fruit and whole grains almost exclusively for those carbs.

Steelslady
03-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Oh, indeed, is it ever frustrating with the foolish belly fat! Back when I was much thinner, and weighed 180, people were shocked at how big my stomach still was. My legs were toothpicks, my arms were small, no chin/neck/face fat, no bum or waist, but the belly.........the last 30 pounds were right there. So, it made for difficult shopping trips for pants, because the material around my butt was loose and the belly area tight- friends would laugh at my pants. I just ended up wearing dresses and skirts most of the time, as I got sick of the baggy butt and tight stomach look in my pants. :lol3:

Now I am a hundred pounds heavier. I've been on this journey forever it seems, but I am determined this time to succeed. However, nothing is more frustrating than to hear others who have lost the same amount of weight as me, go down a pant size. I'll have to wait for at least another 42 pounds before that happens, and no one will even notice any weight loss until then, either (been through this several times already, so I know the exact weight I have to get to before the pants size goes down and it dawns on folks that I lost a few, :lol: )

runningfromfat
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I've had the same. My midsection has always been the last to budge. Although, I will say that strength training has really helped to even me out more. Part of it too, though, is that I had to recognize my body type. I have a very straight torso compared to other women so many times women will have the same natural waist measurement as me but wear a pants size up (or two) because they have wider hips. So I suppose there are some advantages to having the fat in my waist being the most stubborn. ;)

I have to admit, though, that it does seem to be going down more now that I'm in the final stretch, so there is hope! But there was a long time in between there where I looked semi-pregnant because my stomach stuck out so much. :o

I guess that's all to say, it DOES get better, but you just have to be patient! Know too that other women who carry their weight in their arms and legs are probably wondering the opposite. The more I've learned about fashion, clothes, and body image I've found that ALL women are out of proportion in some way or another and it's unrealistic for us to expect to be proportioned to fit into an exact size. So seriously, don't feel alone!

puneri
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I have readings from Dec 1,11 weight 161 and Feb 20
Shoulder 43. 41.75. 1.25 down
Arm. 11.5. 10.75. .75 down
Waist1. 34.25. 33.5. .75 down
Waist2. 39. 37.25. 1.75 down
Hips. 42.25. 41.5. .75 down
Thigh. 23.5. 23. .5 down

I feel my thighs are like big balloons and they do not budge inspite of exercise.

KatieAlyse
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
I have the same issues as flashfacts! My stomach goes first and I'm left with a big rear end and thighs. So frustrating to try and lose that. And I agree that every woman is different. We typically carry in our stomach or rear end and thighs.