General chatter - Do you think dressing room mirrors make you look better then usual or worse?

baker23
03-14-2012, 12:37 AM
I always feel like I look thinner when I'm changing in department store dressing rooms. Even looking at everything from one of those three way mirrors. Problem is when I get home, I can look in my mirror and it looks like I ballooned out. Then I get depressed and don't want to wear this new amazing outfit because I now think I look huge in it. What about you guys?

pixelllate
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Yup its why I hate thin mirrors. Just show me as I am, but maybe the store figures they'll fool people into thinking that their clothes are slimming, get them to buy it and its too late by the time you get home-unless you bother to return it.

Demosthenes
03-14-2012, 01:19 AM
The shops I've been to seem to prefer very harsh, brilliant white light in their dressing rooms. I'm sure there is a practical reason for this (possibly for enhancing the color or texture of an outfit) but it has the side effect of bringing every stretch mark, pimple, and vein out to its full glory. Seeing my skin defects is more miserable for me than any slimming effect (or the opposite) of the mirror.

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-14-2012, 03:35 AM
im with demosthenes i feel like my skin looks terrible in dressing rooms i look dull and evrey pore is magnified my stretch marks look ghastly , makes me not even want to buy the outfit if all i can see is the horrible skin its sitting on .... and ordinarily i think i have nice skin .... i dont wear any sort of face makeup except eye stuff

as for looking fatter/slimmer .... i usually think i look nicer at home than i do in those god forsaken angled mirrors .... ugh just when i think i look great i get a glimpse from another angle and notice the flabbiness on the back of my upper arms ..... nice ! (NOT) lol

kirsteng
03-14-2012, 06:54 AM
It seems to me that the mirrors in plus-sized clothing stores are slimming. I always look smaller at the store, bring home the pants... then think, 'wow... not what I thought those looked like!'... :lol:

Department stores in my experience though tend to have normal mirrors, but yes, with super-bright lighting.

Eurus
03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
I usually think they look bad either way. I guess it more depence on if Im having a good day or not. If Im feeling good about myself, everything looks better. If not, I shouldnt even bother to try it on, because then I'll think it all looks like ****..

runningfromfat
03-14-2012, 07:36 AM
There was a Seinfeld episode on this awhile back. Basically, Elaine gets really upset because all the mirrors at stores are skinny mirrors so she can never see how a dress actually fits on her. :lol:

It's definitely true. I rarely shop in stores in more but when I did I always got annoyed by this because I could never figure out how an item fit. Now I shop almost entirely online (I can find way better fitting clothes that way) so I just check in my own mirror. ;)

valalltogether
03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
never seen that episode running, lol

i gotta believe that dressing room mirrors are concave or something, because the same thing happens to me. likewise on the harsh, unforgiving lights.

guacamole
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
I just had this experience about a month ago! It's actually the first time it has happened. I bought a dress for an event and thought it looked great in the store. When I brought it home and tried it on, it looked so tight and awful! I was pissed. However, the dress is hanging in my closet as "motivation" to wear another 10-15 pounds from now. However, I will not rely on fitting room mirrors so heavily in the future.

124chicksinger
03-14-2012, 09:05 AM
I change faced away from the mirrors, then turn around and SURPRISE myself with my new look - love it or hate it - I can't get undressed over and over looking at this mess.

berryblondeboys
03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I've never really noticed that except at one consignment shop that has a funky skinny mirror.

InsideMe
03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
What is this a conspiracy to keep women in the dark about our true size? From vanity sizing, to skinny mirrors.....ahhhhhh run for the hills Martha!!!!!

heathermichigan
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Definitely has happened to me. I hate coming home with what I THINK is a cute, flattering new outfit just to find that I look terrible in it!
I also hate those super bright lights. Helloooooooooooo stretch marks! Sigh.

d130
03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm one of the ones who winds up looking just slightly better then death warmed over in those mirrors. The lighting is awful for me so I always look washed out, but I can't say I've ever seen a skinny mirror where I shop, so I'm obviously not shopping in the right places! ;)

I normally think I look better in the dress when I take it home and try it on there because the lighting tends to be better and I have more room to look at how it actually fits on me.

alaskanlaughter
03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
ive never been in any store that has a skinny mirror...however ive also never been in stores that only cater to plus sizes....maybe they dont have those in alaska?? not sure

the mirrors at the stores here (walmart, fred meyers) make me look way heavier and the lighting is bright and horrible...often times i'll try something on and not like it, but then have to just turn away from the mirror and really move in it, sit in it, and decide if i like it enough to wear to work (which is mostly why i buy things)...and at costco here, they dont even let you try on things...you just have to buy it...needless to say i dont buy any clothes from costco except the occasional kids' stuff because i know what sizes the boys take

MiZTaCCen
03-14-2012, 12:46 PM
My bedroom mirror is on my closet sliding door, it makes me look thinner than what I am, even taller lol. I don't care though I embrace it because it only takes of a two inches maybe three at the most and I like it because even though it's a lie, it helps keep me determined on what I will look like when those inches come off.

tessendicott
03-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Depends on the store and the lighting.

PinkLotus
03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
I haven't noticed that the store mirrors make me look smaller than I am. Most of them make me look awful mainly (hopefully lol) because of the harsh lighting.
My own mirror in my bathroom always makes me look smaller though! It's a real slap in the face to look at myself at home, then out in public in other mirrors, I look way better at home! :D

Mrshonopolist
03-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Normally department store dressing rooms make me look and feel so fat! The lighting is so bright and horrible, the rooms are small, and for some reason they are always really hot! The only nice dressing room I've been to was at Torrid. The rooms are big, they don't have that disgusting bright light and it's definitely not hot in there.

baker23
03-14-2012, 01:52 PM
hmm I'm starting to think that maybe my mirror at home is the problem and not dressing room mirrors xDD...

pikaki
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Hey all... Maybe it isn't the dressing room mirror. Maybe it's your mirror at home. I had an old mirror I found in the attic and it made me look heavier than I was. I got rid of a bunch of cute clothes and bikini's because I seriously thought I was gaining weight. I used that mirror for 3 years before I realized it was my mirror making me feel fat. I searched everywhere for a skinny mirror and couldn't find one... so I started making and selling them, my company is called The Skinny Mirror. The mirrors only make you look 5-10lbs thinner but man what a difference it makes in how you feel. Everyone who has one loves it. If you think about it, one really cares or is critical about how you look more than you, so why not have a good self-image about yourself? That's how I see it, and really, you only look as good as you feel, so why not feel good?!?

Missy Krissy
03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
This is why I always try to take a picture of myself when I try an outfit on instead of relying on what the mirror tells me.

IanG
03-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Being naked in the mirror is the killer for me. I try to avoid that one right now.

Kisigin
03-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I don't know about store dressing rooms but I believe hotel room bathroom mirrors, along with the lighting, are engineered to make you look as good as possible so you'll associate good times with that particular hotel. Last summer I was in Florida, first day I got there I looked in the mirror and thought I've never been this tan. Wasn't natural because I hadn't gotten any sun before that. It was plane, car and then checking right into the room.

AlmostMe
03-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Pikaki - GOOD FOR YOU!!!

A friend of mine in college had a skinny mirror. It got passed around and fought over when she moved back to Canada. We all knew it was distorting, but when we got dressed up and looked at ourselves in the skinny mirror before we went out - we'd be like "Dang, I look HOT!" And I firmly believe that feeling HOT is 60-80% of BEING hot.

Amygdala
03-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Just yesterday I felt like crying when I looked in a mirror at a HM store... I looked awful. I hope it's because of the artificial light and the mirror they have in their dressing rooms.

It's been a while now since my last visit to the US, but I remember that the mirrors at GAP stores always made me look so good!

losermom
03-09-2013, 09:16 AM
None of you are crazy! There are "normal" and "skinny" mirrors in dressing rooms. Check out this, http://www.news9.com/story/7855925/does-dressing-room-mirror-reflect-true-you. I have skinny floor length mirror at home and I always look fabulous it it. ;)

elvislover324
03-09-2013, 09:26 AM
The mirrors at TJ Max and Marshalls make me look like a beauty queen. Then I get home with the same clothes in my own mirrors and I almost barf, so the clothes go back.

I either need those mirrors in the store to go or for the whole world to have eye surgery with their vision distorted to make me look that awesome.

losermom
03-09-2013, 09:34 AM
The mirrors at TJ Max and Marshalls make me look like a beauty queen.

Agreed! TJ Maxx is a dangerous store for me! :eek:

lovedancelive
03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
It depends upon the day... :lol:

I actually think I look worse in some of those because of the crap lighting.

LockItUp
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
For me it's more about my state of mind. I shop a lot at Target and Ross. Same exact stores and dressing rooms, sometimes I look better there sometimes better at home. So Idk for sure what it is, just me I guess! Though I don't doubt for a second there are stores with mirrors that are bent to make you look better, I believe that!

Cali Doll
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Skinny mirrors frustrate me to no end! At this point, I can't think of a store that *doesn't* use them!

As someone said earlier, hotels are also notorious for this! I spend a lot of time in hotels and it's such an emotional roller coaster to look 10 pounds heavier/lighter depending upon the mirror I use. And most times, the mirrors aren't consistent even in the same room. I mean, if every mirror were a skinny mirror, then fine. It wouldn't bother me. However, having to see fat-me and then skinny-me and then fat-me again all within the same hour, makes me a basket-case.

I admit, I've got emotional issues when it comes to my reflection. But, I need the world to stop teasing me. :^:

DIE SKINNY MIRRORS!!!

Em Coconut
03-10-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't know about "skinny mirrors" and all that, haven't really given it much thought. But I agree on the whole lighting thing. Makes me look awful enough to ruin my day... It also makes me wonder how other people really see me:dizzy:

Gkm130
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Yep....most stores use 'skinny' mirrors....which has resulted in more than a few returns for me.

Radiojane
03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
I HATE the way I look in a dressing room. I swear I leave the house looking put together and I look like **** when I get into the change room. ugh!

Leaves
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if I have a favourable home mirror or if store mirrors are mean over here in the UK! Definitely with you all on the lighting thing though, looking sickly and washed out is a definite put off for me, no matter how nice the clothes! eurgh :(