100 lb. Club - Is my dress too short?

View Full Version : Is my dress too short?

InsideMe
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Ok I need some help from my girls in this group. So I'm SUPER excited to finally fit into my sundress (the dress in my profile pic), I bought it last summer but it shrunk in the wash haha so I never got to wear it. But now it fits me and I'm super excited to see the tone come back in my legs. I love super cute sundresses.....so I decided to wear it to work today (its casual dress, you can wear anything)

Ok so this is my problem. I ran into Tim Horton's on my way to work to grab a tea and I swear I got snears from the lady behind the counter, and the men were totally eyeing me up.......

Ok I'm not use to this........is my dress too short? Or do I look fatter than I think I do? I'm being really self conscious here.....maybe I shouldn't show so much leg? But it's 18 here today it's super warm!!! Do I absolutely look horrible? I'm having major self confidence issues now in this dress when I felt all sexy hot this morning :( Please be honest, maybe I need to lose a few more pounds before I dare wearing these types of clothes?

ETA: I almost feel like people are thinking "omg she's too fat to wear that!"

Thighs Be Gone
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I really like wearing leggings with dresses that come above my knee--just a preference of my own. I think your dress is really cute. On me, I would totally wear it with fitted leggings, an open toe shoe, oversized handbag and some chunky bracelets.

As your weight goes down, you will probably find the question "Am I too fat to wear this" still replays in your mind again and again. In the end, wear what makes you feel good. That being said, I can'[t imagine feeling good knowing so many others were giving me drama over what was on my back. You just have to decide what is more important to you.

KatMarie
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Your legs look awesome in that dress! They look toned and nice. The fit is flowing and flattering. You look great in it!

bargoo
03-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I like the dress. I wouldn't call it a sundress, though as it has sleeves. I am unsure if it is too short. I guess the fact that I can't decide means it is too short, maybe a little. What kind of shoes would you wear with it to work ?

Jeckeree
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I think it looks great!

inglesita64
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I think you look gorgeous! Get used to it!

XLMuffnTop
03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I think it looks fine so long as you don't bend over at the waist rather than at the knees, which should be done anyway for the sake of your back.

I worked with college students and there was a girl that was trying to sign a piece of paper on a standard card table. She had to use one hand to keep her dress from exposing her backside. But then when she pulled down the hem of the skirt, it pulled the top (strapless tube top type) down to almost expose her chest! So, she's got one hand yanking on the bottom, one hand hoisting the top and she now has no free hand to sign the form. :lol: THAT'S too short!!

InsideMe
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I like the dress. I wouldn't call it a sundress, though as it has sleeves. I am unsure if it is too short. I guess the fact that I can't decide means it is too short, maybe a little. What kind of shoes would you wear with it to work ?

I'm wearing the shoes in the picture. I also pulled on a black cardigan.

Thanks everyone.....I just feel HUGE when people look at me like I shouldn't be wearing this...its funny when I was bigger I didn't care, but now I am feeling uneasy in my skin......does this ever get better? I feel strange like out of place? I don't know how to explain it?

bargoo
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Don't get me wrong I like the dress but I was a little concerned about the bending, stooping, reaching that might take place , it will pull it up a bit. If you feel comfortable in it, that is what is important.

berryblondeboys
03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I think they are not thinking you are too fat, but that it's March 13th in Toronto and you are wearing a summer dress with a cardigan sweater. Their thoughts are maybe "She's rushing summer a bit, huh?" The women that is. Women are judgemental - just a tad, right? The men? They just like seeing the legs!

We used to live in Waterloo, ON and i remember that the May 24 weekend is the weekend it's safe to start planting for summer. Before that and you risk a frost. So, now is more than 2 months before that date and people are slow to change their ideas of what's appropriate - to me - if it's hot, dress for the weather, not the calendar. My MIL though, dresses for the calendar. It was 70 degrees a couple days ago and she had on cords, a wool sweater and a down jacket outside. Now I couldn't help stare at her. Like really? Aren't you HOT?

djs06
03-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I think they are not thinking you are too fat, but that it's March 13th in Toronto and you are wearing a summer dress with a cardigan sweater. Their thoughts are maybe "She's rushing summer a bit, huh?" The women that is. Women are judgemental - just a tad, right? The men? They just like seeing the legs!

I definitely agree that that's probably what people were sneering at. IF they were sneering. I also think it's totally possible that you felt self conscious and might have somehow expected that they were looking at you a certain way. Oh well, I say heck with 'em! You look fab.

Daki
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
It's not too short in the front. Though I do run into the problem where something is appropriate from the front then thanks to my butt it is pretty inappropriate from the back. My butt protrudes enough that it definitely changes the length of skirts and dresses from behind.

Or it could also be that it's March in Toronto. OR maybe you misinterpreted their looks and maybe they were looking at you because you're nice to look at :D

Vex
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
I think the dress looks fantastic on you.

Given that, I will say this. I believe I read somewhere you're in IT? A business analyst or something?

I'm also in IT, and we also have a casual dress code (jeans). I would not recommend wearing anything that falls above the knee in a professional office. (if that's where you are) I'd say the same exact things about flip-flops and sleeveless shirts though which I still see in the office and wonder what people are thinking.

mescelestus
03-13-2012, 01:12 PM
You look GREAT!!! I have no idea as to whether the dress is professional, but I would totally rock it!

threenorns
03-13-2012, 01:22 PM
ppl ARE going to look - that's the whole point, eh?

strut your stuff - heaven knows you've the gams to pull it off!

for a professional look - pair with black leggings and black pumps, nice scarf around the neck (something silky and flow-y)

for a casual date, dark hose, and high heels - you can get away with a bit of shine with that print but not those light silver ones - more like a gunmetal. casual jewellery and your hair pulled back.

for a special date, dark hose but sheer, maybe even with a tattoo-like pattern (not the all-over print, i mean) or a back seam; chunky gold jewellry, rich dark lipstick with a high gloss (you've the lips to pull that off, too!), and hair up.

now unless you're walking around in "come [get] me" shoes, there's nothing slutty or skanky about the dress but with a light fabric like that, make sure you pair with a cute set of boy shorts (esp on windy days - i used to have panties that said "bite me" on the bum and another that said " kiss my" and an arrow on either outer edge pointing to the relevent area.

Candeka
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
That dress is perfectly fine! If you are comfortable, then wear it. Some people are not even comfortable wearing dresses that go down past the knee since they feel "its to short". So it is all personal. However, I will say a dress is to short when it is about 1 cm away from where you bum starts! However, that is not the case in this dress so wear it proud!!!!

astrophe
03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I think your body is looking toned and that's great!

I think it is cute but could be too short.

On me I'd wear it with capri length or above the knee leggins type things. Because at our house growing up and now with my own daughter the rule was "the toe test. " So that's where I'm coming from.

Before we left the house? Some parent was always yelling. It was always "Bend over and touch your toes! Toe test! If we see too much back there or any part of your panties peek out this is not a dress. It is a long shirt. Go put on leggings or something under there. Stat!"

Dresses hike up when you sit or cross legs and the men might love it but I don't want to be exposed like that. Fit or not, strangers looking up my bare legs toward my crotch? Yuck.

I don't know if that helps you any on the dress shortness.

But YOU? You are beautiful. Don't forget it! :)

GL!
A.

heathermichigan
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I am always paranoid when strangers look at me like that, especially when I'm wearing something new or not sure if I can get away with it yet.
The thing is, sometimes people are drawn to you and look at you because you FEEL hot and are wearing something you feel good in. And for me, when I started losing a big chunk of weight and got attention again, it made me uncomfortable, but once I got used to it I realized that I just hadn't gotten attention in years.
So I say do what feels good to YOU. If it bothers you that people are looking at you, don't wear it or just wear it with friends and family, not "in public." If you don't really care, ROCK IT GIRL! :D

PrettyMom09
03-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I think they were looking at you because you have nice legs. I personally wouldn't wear a dress above the knee to the office, but if you work in a more casual environment, then you are fine.

SmallSteps
03-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I think you look beautiful and they are just jealous because they can't get in it!!

findingfawn
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I think you have gotten some great feedback.

I agree it could be a seasonal thing, I'm not quite sure that the shoes fit the dress.. IMO it's more of a flats with open toe kind of dress, and for some it may be too short. I won't wear anything that doesn't go at least mid-knee without leggings under it.

All that said, as long as your rump isn't hanging out in the back, who cares what others think?

konfyoozed
03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
i think you look fantastic :)

my general rule of thumb for length of shorts or skirts is stand up straight with your arms at your sides, if your skirt/shorts hem is above the finger tips, too short. anything below is fair game. but that's me. i don't feel comfortable in anything shorter. if people give me snarky looks and i catch their eye, i just comment "isn't the weather nice today?" and smile... it's really hard to be mean or nasty to someone who is nice and smiling at you!

Lainey2
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm not in your group here, but I hope its ok if I post! You look fantastic in that dress! Its cute and flattering, and the shoes go great with it. They make your legs look very long. The most important accessory you can wear with it is confidence! Congratulations on your progress, you look really good. This afternoon I'm at work, totally not wanting to change and go workout afterwards, but looking at your picture in that dress, motivated me to go and workout. So thanks! Keep up the good work!

lovemydoggiesx2
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Girl, today it was 25 here and you know I was wearing a short dress too and got crazy comments all day. I think you look great in your dress. My legs are also my selling point, so you know I sell those puppies by wearing short dresses as often as possible. Donīt cover up. Donīt be down. People were looking at you cause you looked hot....and because it is only march!!

Trazey34
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
I can't see the heel of your shoe -- the shorter the skirt the lower the heel should be for the skank factor LOL

It's cute! it's just MARCH that's all -- maybe wait til after Easter before busting it out again LOL b!tches be judgey!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-14-2012, 05:08 AM
I can't see the heel of your shoe -- the shorter the skirt the lower the heel should be for the skank factor LOL

It's cute! it's just MARCH that's all -- maybe wait til after Easter before busting it out again LOL b!tches be judgey!

LOLLLLLL @ b!tches be judgey haha

no its true though .... girls are very judgemental i think it is a little early to break out the summer dresses BUT i dont think its too short at all .... its two short when people can comment on your drawers when you sit down ... this is no where near that ..... and as for the leggings under the dress thing its personal but i kinda always feel like if your wearing leggings under a dress thats half way down the leg your probably hiding some jiggly or otherwise unkempt legs .... i reserve leggings for tunics and sweater dress styles not so much for that style of dress

i wear dresses that length to work all the time .....

InsideMe
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Awwwww thanks ladies!!! I appreciate it. I think I'm just having major self confidence issues. I'm not use to looks, or any sort of attention. It's warm here in Toronto this week so that's why I wore the dress....as for work....I'm in an office but I don't work for the office, I'm a hoteller, meaning I'm a virtual employee for the National Captial, I can move or live anywhere, and my home base pays for my office space with other Govt. Depts...so I only dress in suits when I'm in the National Captial :) Nobody knows what I do in the office.... I'm just some chick that's there every now and then lol

I'm very sensitive to people around me, I guess I'm just having a really hard time in this new skin cause on the latter now I'm seeing my shape come out and I'm feeling vulnerable... I'm totally comfortable in my clothes before I leave the house, I feel GREAT, then I get looks, and I'm probably misinterpreting things cause I am so paranoid, and I get all weird thinking I'm too fat....

But I'm glad I could inspire some of you :) That means the world to me, cause I never thought I would do that! LOL Thanks again :) I'm going to try and suck it up and not care what others think or how they look at me....how do you show it in your body that your confident without being snooty? I swear there should be classes or something on how to act when your smaller, it's a whole different feeling and ballgame all together, I totally forgot what this felt like it's kind of scary?!

thistoo
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
That is a super cute dress and I don't think you look skanky, even with a heel. The length of your hemline really kind of depends on your age, though, as far as appropriateness goes. You look young enough to pull off an above-the-knee hemline, whereas someone like me (I'm 39) has to stick with knee-length or lower unless I want to wear leggings with my dress. In your 20s and even early 30s, you can rock that hemline no problem.

It's hard to start feeling comfortable in your own skin after a substantial weight loss. It'll get easier the more you get used to people's attention, though.

thistoo
03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
but i kinda always feel like if your wearing leggings under a dress thats half way down the leg your probably hiding some jiggly or otherwise unkempt legs

Also kind of judgmental. Just saying.

TamiL
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
You look fabulous! If you are comfortable wearing a dress of that length then by all means do so. It's all about confidence. Don't worry about what others think, especially women.....they tend to be judgmental and in many cases jealous. I am 47 and I don't wear a skirt any longer than about 5 inches above my knee ;-) If someone stares or makes a comment.....Just smile and know you look great!!

Smiling_Sara
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
I think you look wonderful!! :) I'm not sure I would wear it myself to work, but on a casual weekend day, I would love to wear that if I looked as good as you do in that dress.

Can I ask where you purchased it? It's beautiful!

berryblondeboys
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Ok, so let's talk about hemlines as I'm dealing with that right now in my own little head.

Why is there this 'cut off' age with hemlines? To me, if you got legs - SHOW THEM OFF. Yet, when I'm in the store and I try on a dress that's hemline is a little short, I think, "it's too young for me." Maybe it's not the hemline though, but the cut of the whole dress.

My husband says I have rockin' legs. Now, me, I still don't see it. I see all the imperfections. BUT... I refuse to wear long pants in summer and I'm sure I'll feel that way until the day I die. Wearing long pants or long, clingy anything when it's over 90 degrees with sky humidity looks way more stupid to me than shorts! Or a short skirt.

Plus, I think (maybe?) I no longer have problems with chub rub. If that is the case. Man, I'll be wearing skirts/dresses all summer long for that cool, open breezy feel. However, like itsmyturn said, I'm aware of other people's reactions and I don't want to feel 'icky'.

InsideMe
03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
haha it's funny you bring up hemlines and age appropriate....I'm closer to 40 than 30 ;)

But I'm young at heart and the only time I dress my age is when I'm on a business trip to my home office :)

I dress to the weather........and yes the chub rub is going, it's hardly there when I walk now so it felt GREAT in my dress.....

I honestly believe wear it if you feel great in it.......I think my problem is what other's think and trying not to care......

Plus why do people care? I don't get that???? People are so quick to judge. I walk into the bank the other day in my hat, studded black belt etc to deposit my rent cheque (I rent my house up north out) and the teller was like....what do you do??? Yeah I looklike some punk sometimes......lol anyways, that's besides the point.

Length, style etc.....who makes up the rules anyways? Cause I wanna speak with that person! Oh and berryblondes, if you have rockin legs, show them off :) Your hubby would love it I bet!

InsideMe
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I think you look wonderful!! :) I'm not sure I would wear it myself to work, but on a casual weekend day, I would love to wear that if I looked as good as you do in that dress.

Can I ask where you purchased it? It's beautiful!

Thanks hun! I honestly don't remember where I bought it, it was a little boutique downtown TO last year.

4star
03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
I think you look great. You might want to watch bending over but that's always a consideration for shorter length dresses. If your boss is ok with it, it's fine for work.

You can't pay attention to people. The ladies were probably jealous b/c you were getting looks from men. All of that would make me a bit uncomfortable too but just b/c they are making judgements when they should be minding their own business.

I personally find it funny when people make comments like "that's too sexy, she's not a teeny-bopper anymore". Remember they days when it was inappropriate to wear sexy things if you weren't a grown-up? People are all mixed up nowadays...and yes, I just said "nowadays" :lol:

Whatevs babe, rock what you want. You look great. If they are gonna look, let them look. It doesn't matter if their judgements are good or bad b/c as the saying goes...a hater's gonna hate....

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Also kind of judgmental. Just saying.

your right ... i think women naturally just are judgemental though .... not all but alot .... i know i am sometimes im not perfect

ParadiseFalls
03-15-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't think it's too short! It looks really cute, and your legs look great. I definitely would never give a second glance at someone wearing that in a store.

runningfromfat
03-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I really love that dress on you! I don't think it's too short either and have certainly seen much shorter than that.

sluggerbean
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I think the dress is awesome!! I think that the "lady" behind the counter was jealous that she couldn't wear that dress on a warm day and the men were looking because you looked marvelous! :D

I know the calendar says that it is still winter (spring doesn't arrive until March 20th), but if the weather is warm enough dress for it. :smug:

It's all in the attitude....If ya got it, flaunt it!! :devil:

Peggy

astrophe
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Chub rub = body glide anti chafe stick. Or any other brand chafe stick. :)

As for hemlines -- I think you can wear whatever you want age wise. So long as I clear the "toe test" I'm good. I just don't like fussing with dressing riding up when I sit, getting in an out of cars, etc. If they don't pass the toe test, it's just easier to put some leggings or something under there and then not worry about it any more while still enjoying the dress.

A.

Shannon in ATL
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I think you look great. Rock that dress, honey. :)

Shannon in ATL
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
So long as I clear the "toe test" I'm good. I just don't like fussing with dressing riding up when I sit, getting in an out of cars, etc. If they don't pass the toe test, it's just easier to put some leggings or something under there and then not worry about it any more while still enjoying the dress.

A.

What is the "toe test"?

Trazey34
03-15-2012, 04:55 PM
PS I forgot to say that I liked your "before" pic too! Even tho you were heavier, you still have on shorter shorts and short sleeved t, not draped head to toe trying to obscure your entire body like so many of us do/did. Confidence at every size!

astrophe
03-15-2012, 04:56 PM
A family thing -- parents used to make us bend over and touch our toes and if any undies were showing or too much upper thigh then the dress was too short and you had to go put something under it before going out in it.

A.

wtfudge
03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I think you just look really sexy and curvy and nice :D maybe it wasn't appropriate for a work day, I have no idea, but at a BBQ or a picnic or outdoor brunch... this is awesome!

Proud of you on your weight loss :D

xJox
03-25-2012, 11:38 PM
I think you look great in the dress.