Does it Work? - Fitbit

View Full Version : Fitbit

KatieAlyse
03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have one and is it worth the money and getting one?

astrophe
03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Fancy pedometer with some nice bonus features like sleep tracking.

I like it. I'm on my 3rd. (Bought 1, they sent me a replacement when that one went wonky for some reason. Nice customer service. Then I lost it (my own fault) and I got another.

A.

KatieAlyse
03-12-2012, 07:39 PM
How has it benefited you in your weight loss?

donkeykick
04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
I have one. I got it a few weeks ago. It is kind of neat. It's a pedometer that tracks the distance you've walked in miles, amount of steps taken, calories burned, amount of stairs climbed in a day,how active you are, sleep etc.. and it tracks it. If you have some friends who have one you can "compete" with them so to speak. It keeps you accountable for your steps each day. The website keeps track over a 30 day period so you (and your friends who have one) can see your progression in a series of charts. You can choose what items you want to keep private and disclose. I love it. I know there are some days where I don't feel like walking then I look and see how many steps my friends have and I get up and move because I don't want to look lazy lol. It's motivating!!! It automatically logs your steps/distance etc.. anytime you walk past your computer (within 15 feet). I downloaded the app on my smartphone and I'm able to log the food I eat as the day goes along. This is kind of cool because at the end of the night I can look at the graph and see how much i've burned as apposed to how much i've consumed. I for sure think it's worth it. It's absolutely benefited me in my weight loss.

shelterwatch
04-16-2012, 12:59 AM
I love mine. I've had one for several years. I was afraid of losing it, so I made a little 'leash' for it so that it clips onto my waistband. The thing I didn't like about the BodyBugg and other devices like that are that you have to pay a monthly fee after the brief subscription is over. Fitbit is free after you purchase the device. They don't charge anything unless you want the premium subscription.

astrophe
04-16-2012, 01:06 AM
How has it benefited you in your weight loss?

It's pretty accurate for me on the steps/calories burned each day. This gives me a good picture for how much to eat to keep on track for weight loss.

Even on days when I don't food log so long as I remember to clip it to me it's tracking my steps. for me that's motivation enough. But they are small, easy to misplace, and look out if you bung it thru the wash. Mine came out ok, but I'm going ot be annoyed if I lose/ruin another one. It's like that pro of it (small, discreet) is also one of its cons! (small, black with accent color, easy to misplace!)

A.

stlrsgrl43
05-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Will the fitbit tell you calories burned riding a bicycle or do you have to add that exercise? How wld that work?

i33BabyGirl33i
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
its worth it my brother has one!

kateleestar
05-30-2012, 07:27 AM
I love my Fitbit. So much! And I second the 'great customer service'.... its amazing customer service, really.

And I've lost more with my Firbit than I did with my BodyBug.

Angelique
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm another fan of the Fitbit. I wear it every single day and makes you more aware of how active you are. It is really a good motivational tool. Since I got it, I started parking all the way in the back of the parking lot (which helps me towards my daily step goal) and I use the bathroom on another floor which forces me to walk up a flight of stairs every time I go to the bathroom (which helps me towards my daily flight goal).

I use myfitnesspal as my calorie counter and I also input my exercise into it. It syncs my meal and exercise info with the fitbit. It is really helpful.

KylieH
05-31-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh, yeah! Totally love it. I got mine at the end of April and I have lost 14 pounds since then. I love the fact that it syncs automatically, do I don't have to create and update a bunch of tracking sheets to see how I'm doing. It's a great motivator. I love the badges, but mostly it reminds me to move. That's a big deal since I have a sendentary job.

KatieAlyse
05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
I didn't know it would sync up with the MFP! I've been using that! I've logged in for over 80 days now. I might get one when I meet my next goal.

classykaren
06-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Hello friends. I am very interested in this however I have a question. Is this hard to learn how to operate ? I am 62 and very non tech.

kateleestar
06-01-2012, 07:13 AM
No. There's only one button on it! As long as you keep it charged by plugging it in to your computer every few days, youll be good.

classykaren
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Thank you, Kateleestar

KatMarie
06-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I love mine! When you first get it, go to their website first, before you even charge or plug the fitbit in. Download their software to your computer, set up your account and it walks you thru the fitbit setup. I use Lose It! to track my calories and it syncs up with fitbit. You can use fitbit's site to track food, but their food library is small and not as nice as Lose It or my fitness pal. I wished I would have got one sooner! Its an awesome tool for weight loss or maintenance.

ICUwishing
06-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Do they have a waterproof version for lap swimmers?

carbstart
07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I've lost 16.5 lbs using a fitbit. I walk 10K+ steps a day and track my food and any other exercise using the fitbit platform. I also do low carb. My user number is 22RQ59. Feel free to add me!

angie7896
07-12-2012, 04:20 PM
It is really hard to read the display outside in the sunlight. Luckily 90% of my workouts are indoors.
Even with that pitfall I LOVE my fitbit. It is especially helpful to calorie counters since you can enter in your calories eaten for the day on their website. Then, you can see your calories eaten vs. burned.

Iwanawurkit
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Okay.....sounds like it is way better than the body bugg. I may get mine by the end of the month since I haven't heard or read anything bad about this.

SweetSteph
08-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I am considering buying a fitbit as well. I have a polar heart rate monitor that I wear during workouts. I thought maybe having something to use during the rest of the day (and night apparently) may be helpful. Would it be beneficial to have both, or unnecessary?

superchick36
12-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I know this thread is kind of old but /i just got a fitbit one today and wanted to join in. It was so easy to sign up on the fitbit site and download all the info. Tomorrow will be my first day to wear it and am feeling very motivated.

superchick36
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
So I'm on day three of wearing the fitbit one and am not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. I love how small it is, to the point I forget I have it on. What I don't like about it is it adds steps while you are driving and there is nothing you can do about it. Yesterday I took my daughter shopping so she could spend some xmas money she got and by the time I got home I had almost a thousand extra steps, just from driving. I kept checking the steps every time I would get in and out of the car because I would to mentally track how much was from driving and how much was from walking around shopping. I'm thinking of returning it and getting another Ormon (sp). I have had two of them and they worked great but I sent both through the washer and ruined them :) I guess more expensive isn't always better. Anyone find this annoying about the fitbit?

Suzanne 3FC
12-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I agree that would be an annoying feature, if you didn't really take the steps.

The FitBit is really just a pedometer with software, it isn't anything like the BodyBugg that tracks actual physical responses during exercise, so it isn't as accurate. I have used and compared most of the products, and at the end of the day I really just prefer my Omron HJ-112 pedometer. It has been rated the most efficient, and I've personally had great luck with it. The software programs are kind of nifty at first, but in the real world I didn't need them.

Omron also makes a pedometer with software that is cheaper and probably more accurate than the FitBit. I have one, but don't use the software because it isn't Mac compatible. The pedometer itself is great.

superchick36
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I agree. I have had two(ran both through the wash) Omron HJ-720ITC and really liked it, just thought I would try some thing different. I will be returning it to Radioshack tomorrow and ordering another Omron from amazon.

Amarantha2
12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I have the Fitbit Zip and find it the most wonderful tracker I've ever had. It has been a life changer for me. I've never had a ped that is so accurate or easy to use. I wear it daily and love the site.

superchick36
12-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Amarantha2 - Does your FitBit Zip log steps while you are driving?

CyndiM
12-30-2012, 08:05 PM
My old Omron was worse about logging steps while driving then my FitBit is, not sure why. I do love the online features of the FitBit, especially the active vs. sedentary percentages. I build my goals around those numbers now.

Amarantha2
12-30-2012, 08:08 PM
No, it it is really stable, the display fades when I am not walking.

Amarantha2 - Does your FitBit Zip log steps while you are driving?

rmc9142
01-01-2013, 07:15 PM
What I don't like about it is it adds steps while you are driving and there is nothing you can do about it.

Supposedly, if you log any 'driving' activity during the time you were in a car, it will automatically adjust that time to show you as sedentary (sitting) instead of recording steps.

I like my FitBit so much, I gave it as a Christmas gift to 4 different people!

emurph
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
I LOVE my FitBit One! I'm getting the Aria scale soon too.

I sync it with LoseIt and just love that combo. LOL I did laps around my bedroom last night because I only needed a few hundred steps to hit 10,000. It definitely motivates me to move and not sit on the couch during my 2 year old's nap time. I get really annoyed with myself if I'm not close to 5000 steps my midday and I find myself thinking up activities to do with my son that will get more steps in. Totally worth the money!

FYI - If you are a government employee (includes military) and get the gov't discount through Verizon Wireless, you'll get a discount if you order the FitBit through them. I think that's the cheapest way to buy one.

IBelieveInMe2
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I just ordered a Fitbit Zip. Is there anything I need to know before using it? I am not very tech-savvy, but want to get everything possible out of it! Thanks!

spcdcider
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Is is accurate for ellipticals and treadmills? I have been wondering about that.

Becky Quilts
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Treamills, yes. It's not super-exact but will get within a tenth or two of a mile as best I can tell when I run outside with my GPS. Ellipticals I can't speak to.

Love my FitBit One. It syncs with my phone and MFP... it's really kept me on track this year!

I know the HR Monitor question was asked in August, but if anyone else is wondering... I own both and to me, they have two different jobs. I will still log my running into the FB interface, to get the calories burned recorded. I don't use my HR monitor to count calories burned, so I don't know how it compares.

RavenWolf
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
I am really thinking of getting one. I even talked to my husband the other day. With the Fitbit one, how well does the sleep tracker work? I really would love to know how many times and how much of the night I am awake.

Currently, I use Endomondo on my phone, but it very often goes into "auto pause" while I am walking which just annoys me. I could use a device that does not do that, and is accurate.

Is there a way to "turn it off" while you are in a car? Or you just make an adjustment on the log?

Becky Quilts
01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
It does reasonably well with sleep tracking when compared to Sleep Cycle, an app on my iPhone that I prefer.

If you log your driving it will negate the steps registered.

I used MapMyRun when my GPS watch broke this summer, no pausing issue.

Amy8888
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I got mine last night! I was afraid it would be a little wasteful as I have a great pedometer (Omron), which keeps a log of all activity plus "aerobic" activity, which is basically when you move continuously for 10 minutes or more, and it's been extremely accurate.

But the Fitbit seems like a lot more fun. It's smaller so it's easier to have with me, and the clip makes it nice and secure. The sleep tracker is cool (the only good info I've synced so far). And I think all the graphs showing me minute-by-minute activity will be motivating.

I linked my Fitbit account with my Sparkpeople too.

KatieAlyse
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
As far as syncing goes, will it automatically sync with your phone or do you have to plug it into the computer to get it to sync? I also use MFP.

nelie
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
it syncs automatically.

Amy8888
02-15-2013, 04:44 PM
As far as syncing goes, will it automatically sync with your phone or do you have to plug it into the computer to get it to sync? I also use MFP.

I have my dongle set up on my home computer so it syncs when I am in the same room, automatically.

I have the FitBit app on my phone and there is a little bit of a lag sometimes, but once the information is synced on my computer, I'll get notifications on my phone.

KatieAlyse
02-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Awesome! Thank you! Mine should be coming in the mail tomorrow! Bad thing is I am going out of town tomorrow morning and wont be home until Friday night so I wont be able to use it until Saturday...this feels like eternity!

Amy8888
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
I've been using mine for a month now so I thought I'd post an update.

This thing is seriously motivating. It motivates me so much more than my awesome pedometer did. I love that it keeps running totals of things like steps. Most of the time I am getting over 10,000 steps in each day (which I rarely did when I used a pedometer). I now go out of my way at work...I go to a bathroom far away to get extra steps and staircases in. At the gym yesterday, I really pushed myself because I want to have 10,000 steps done by the time I get home after work, and I could only do that if I went faster on the elliptical than I have been.

And by the way, it seems to be very accurate. It counts my elliptical steps, and they match up with the strides the elliptical says I've done. And I've never had a problem with it adding steps while I'm driving or whatever. It's really awesome.

Amarantha2
03-01-2013, 02:44 AM
I still love mine and recently got my 500 mile badge, which yes does motivate me. I had cut back to 8,000 steps a day for a while but am not back to 10,000 and I also lift weights and do some other things but the Fitbit is the biggest driver for me in an active day.

lettingslenderin
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
I am thinking of buying a new scale, and when I looked at the new scales on amazon saw a fitbit aria one, then found this thread. Do you recommend the loseit scale or the aria scale?

Koshka
02-17-2014, 12:57 AM
I have the Withings scale and like it better. I am going to get the new Withings scale which has bluetooth. I love my Fitbit Force but some people have had problem with the aria not working with their network. I like that the new Withings has bluetooth since WiFi is unreliable where it is located.

thisisart
02-17-2014, 11:00 AM
I like mine, I don't put too much stock in the calories it says I burned, but it helps me stay aware of my activity levels for the day.

simalvin
02-28-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm trying to find out if it is worth the $129 price.

If you have one and are using it, what are you using it for and are you satisfied with it?

Bellamack
02-28-2014, 08:25 AM
I like mine too & when hubby bought it for Christmas for me, I just rolled my eyes. lol. As others have said, you can sync it up with My Fitness Pal and your IPad or laptop, it tracks and it is very accurate. Have fun with it!

I had it on my wrist when I had a post op check up (knee surgery) and the doctor said "what is that?" I said "it shocks me when I eat something I shouldn't" You should have seen the look on his face. lol Then I told him about it and he said he was going to get one :)

nelie
02-28-2014, 08:41 AM
I really like my fitbit force. It is my watch, it can count stairs as well as steps. It depends what you expect out of it whether or not you'd be satisfied. If you aren't sure, I'd buy the force at REI. They accept returns up to a year after purchase, whether it was used or not.

Bellamack
02-28-2014, 08:44 AM
I'm trying to find out if it is worth the $129 price.

If you have one and are using it, what are you using it for and are you satisfied with it?

you can get it at HSN for $99, may even have free shipping

simalvin
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
OK - it's worth the price!

Silverfire
02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
I have the force, but it has been recalled (voluntarily - I'm keeping mine!) due to some people having reactions to the nickel. I got it as a gift, so I felt like I could afford to spend the $$ to link MyNetDiary to Fitbit for food tracking, as I have been using MyNetDiary for so long, I didn't want to have to start all over again. I also splurged on the Fitbit Aria Scale. The only issue I have with the Aria, is that it says I'm 2 lbs more than my old scale :(. I find the fitbit super motivating. I find myself walking more, pushing harder to get 10,000 steps. I am able to compete with peers, and love the badges (more badges with the Aria too :) ) I love being able to quickly log my water too. The sleep tracking, IMO, leaves something to be desired. I have been using the Sleep Cycle alarm clock app (IOS) for a couple of years and I love it. The best buck or two I have ever spent! I am really hoping that Fitbit will soon be able to sync with Sleep Cycle and then be able to turn the fitbit into an intelligent alarm (making the alarm go off when your more likely to be coming out of deep sleep, rather than in the middle of it!) It has made mornings for me so much better. I still use sleep cycle for my alarm, and just use the fitbits alarm as an "Ok, you clearly turned your alarm off and went back to sleep, so you have to get up NOW" alarm :lol:

I highly recommend it!