Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Itchy loose skin

The whole loose skin thing doesn't get to me too much. I can hide it well underneath clothes (it's just on my breasts and lower abdomen) but what I CAN'T stand is how freaking itchy it is!!!! The skin is really thin there and it just itches (as is I already have sensitive skin so this just makes it worse). Add to that that I seem to be more prone to mosquito bites in those areas so it's becoming seriously annoying.

Any lotion or anything someone can suggest to help with the itchiness (it would definitely have to be perfume free). I have tossed around the idea of skin removal surgery, would that help with the itchiness? I mean they'd be removing the thin skin there, right? I won't even consider surgery, though, until I'm done having kids so I have to figure out some way to deal with this in the meantime. I do have some itchiness on my upper thighs (I guess I do have some loose skin there too but nut nearly to the same extent as my waist/breasts) but it's not as annoying as elsewhere.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I have the world's driest, most finicky, itchy skin and the only thing I've ever found to help is pure olive oil in the dark glass bottles (like what you would buy to cook with). It works best right after gettig out of the shower before you even dry off. Apply liberally, pat/lightly rub your skin dry. It can slightly discolor light colored towels but I've never noticed it discoloring any of my clothes.

CeraVe and cetaphil are both good lotions for extremely sensitive skin also, but they don't seem to calm down my skin like the olive oil.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
I have the world's driest, most finicky, itchy skin and the only thing I've ever found to help is pure olive oil in the dark glass bottles (like what you would buy to cook with). It works best right after gettig out of the shower before you even dry off. Apply liberally, pat/lightly rub your skin dry. It can slightly discolor light colored towels but I've never noticed it discoloring any of my clothes.

CeraVe and cetaphil are both good lotions for extremely sensitive skin also, but they don't seem to calm down my skin like the olive oil.
Thanks, I'll have to try that! I already use Olive Oil on my daughter's hair if it starts to itch so I know it works well. I'm going to try this tonight.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Jojoba oil. A little goes a long way and it's the close to human sebum so it absorbs/incorporates well.

I also like Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand cream because it is thick. It mostly depends if I want to cover large ares or little ones.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Dry skin brushing! Before you get in the shower, take a natural fiber, stiff brissled body brush (say that 10 times fast) and brush from your extremeties in toward your heart (you can look up directions online). It works wonders!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Dry skin brushing! Before you get in the shower, take a natural fiber, stiff brissled body brush (say that 10 times fast) and brush from your extremeties in toward your heart (you can look up directions online). It works wonders!
I second this. I love dry brushing! I also love using olive oil.

Last edited by yhahmd; 03-12-2012 at 04:20 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #7  

Height: 6-1.5

I have thin dry itchy skin over a part of my ankle, and another part of my leg. Mine is scar tissue, but I'll tell you that I use castor oil on it. You massage the castor oil in prior to bathing. It is thick, and oily so it will get on your clothes. Castor oil is skin penetrating and has many anti-virus, bacteria, yeast and is anti-inflammitory (any of which might cause itching). It is also fairly inexpensive, and easy to find at health food stores.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #8  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

I agree with Valrock. I also dry brush and it really works. I also use Body Glide (even on days that I don't run) on any loose skin that touches my waist bands or bra bands or around my socks. Loose skin tends to be very thin and gets damaged so much easier than regular, healthier skin. Body Glide stops that from happening.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote