General chatter - What does it feel like to have a firm, fit midsection?

RookaWins
03-12-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm honestly asking this random question because in my whole 21 years of life i've never known. I've always had a jelly belly. Even as a little kid. I don't know how much i need to lose anymore (look at height and ticker). Just 20? or 30? I've already lost 45..it seems so far away still.
anyways.

I just can't imagine the feeling, of holding my stomach and it being small and firm. i know this sounds weird.
anyone else in this same boat?
Or is there a previously/currently thin person that can answer my question/figure out my question?
Sorry if this seems weird. lol I just wish i knew what its like, growing up and being normal sized. I envy every healthy girl my age out there. I always wish to look like them, and i wonder, if i lose the weight, am i going to be as naturally pretty as they look?

mimsyborogoves
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I always wonder this myself, especially since I've been not just overweight, but obese, the majority of my life. I honestly don't really know what it's like to not have every single part of your body covered in some sort of fat. I'm just now getting used to having firm calf muscles and being able to see signs of a collarbone. I don't know what I'm going to do when other parts of my body start to change. It's exciting and scary at the same time!

KatieAlyse
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
I too have always had a jelly belly. Maybe one day we will both see how it feels to have a flat stomach!

gonnabfitmom
03-12-2012, 01:19 AM
I have no idea. I've had a dough ball for as long as I can remember.

gettingthere315
03-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I too have no idea what it is like to have a stomach that doesn't hang over your pants - i recently just lost 30lbs and have about 60 more to go before I see signs of a flat, fat free tummy! Good luck, all.

RookaWins
03-12-2012, 01:29 AM
it's comforting to know i'm not the only one this way! lol good luck to all you girls.

TiffNeedsChange
03-12-2012, 01:41 AM
When I was in high school, about 14 years old (and 14 years ago!!), I did have a flat and firm tummy... Unfortunately, I have no recollection of what it felt like. Even though I was very fit, I always had the perception that I was fat! Shame on the old me :) All I do know is that moving around and bending were much, much easier.

chickadee32
03-12-2012, 01:43 AM
No idea here either. I spent many, many years obese, and between that and the added benefit of scar tissue from abdominal surgery I'll never know that feeling without having plastic surgery on my stomach. It is what it is though. :)

Candeka
03-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Just the thought of touching my stomach and not being able to grab inches and inches of fat seems so odd to me. Sitting down and not having roll after roll with my shirt clinging to my stomach. Putting on pants without having crazy muffin top. I can't even imagine it but I am damn sure that I will find out eventually!!

RookaWins
03-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Just the thought of touching my stomach and not being able to grab inches and inches of fat seems so odd to me. Sitting down and not having roll after roll with my shirt clinging to my stomach. Putting on pants without having crazy muffin top. I can't even imagine it but I am damn sure that I will find out eventually!!

me too! i'm so close! lol

LiannaKole
03-12-2012, 02:22 AM
When I was like 10 and under I was a healthy weight. My stomach was as flat as a little kid's gets. I don't remember it at all.

I'd love to know what that's like, too. To brush my hands down my torso and just have it be flat, not lumps and rolls.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'd like to know the answer to this, too (hopefully someday I experience it, too). I'll check in on the thread later, I think.

BananaMontana
03-12-2012, 02:48 AM
It's lovely :D

I've noticed that if I sit funny, my stomach hurts because I have crazy fat rolls. I never used to have that happen. I miss not having a big hunk of chub just hanging there. Flat stomachs are wonderful.

stimkovs
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
it will be a magical day!RookaWins We are about the same size, I wear between a size 6 and an 8 in most stores, my stomach doesn't hang out over my pants (ever), but I still have the belly sag :( I ask the same question, another 20? Another 30? Another 40? Where do you cut the line?

kirsteng
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I carry the majority of my weight in my thighs and rear end. I've never had a big stomach, although at my highest it was starting to bulge. But still no muffin top or rolls.

When I did Atkins years ago, I got down to 214 pounds (still about 20 pounds outside a healthy bmi, but the lowest I've been in my adult life). At that weight my stomach was toned, flat, and really nice looking. I remember being kind of happy if I was wearing a shorter shirt and some of it showed if I waved or something. lol

But my thighs?? Shorts???? Now THAT'S another story... even at my lowest weight. And I bet a lot of you girls that carry the weight in your abdomen have really nice slim legs.

I'm jealous of that! :lol:

ChickieChicks
03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Bellies suck. It seems like the one body area that no matter how much weight you lose, you are unlikely to get the results you picture. I always had that tight tummy, and of course never paid attention to it, b/c I'd never thought I'd lose it! 20/20, eh?

But now I am pretty darn tiny and tight all over, but the belly is still a bit saggy and plump. Yet I can see and flex the muscles underneath that layer of blah. That is my only consolation at this point...I KNOW I AM FIT. So if I have to flex to feel better about my tum, so be it! LOL

berryblondeboys
03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I have never had a flat tummy - though I remember it feeling hard - like a pregnant belly kind of hard. I remember way back when I was 14-15 that I had a poochy stomach, but it was HARD. I think my guts just don't fit within my pelvis in a way that they can be flat. My mom and my sister have the same pooch.

Now, at 170.8 and working out regularly, I can feel the stomach muscles under the remaining fat and loose skin. I can feel them quite well and they have gotten quite strong, but I know I'll never have a non spongy stomach. I will always have the blah over top as I have quite a bit of loose skin on my belly and I don't think it will tighten up completely - especially as many pregnancy stretch marks I have there. Scar tissue doesn't shrink and my stomach is becoming one big mass of scar tissue as the 'healthy' skin shrinks up around the scars, but it still leaves a lot of skin (and the fat layers attached to that skin).

I'm not going to worry about it too much - I can feel my ab muscles now , so that's my victory right there.

LisaTcan
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Yeah, this is what I long for most. I don't think it will ever happen for me. Without plastic surgery anyways. I carry all of my excess weight in my belly and always have, i'll never wear a bikini :(

InsideMe
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I did in my teens but let me tell ya I worked HARD for that six pack! I was fit with low body fat. What did it feel like, it felt TIGHT. I get that feeling now that I'm back into strength training the difference though is I have fat now and it's the strangest feeling to feel that TIGHT feeling yet to have the jiggles. You know when your done doing a bunch of ab crunches and you stretch and you feel tight....it's like that tight feeling, you feel it when you dance, walk, move it feels hot and sexy and I SO WANT IT BACK! Don't know if it will happen again because now at 35 I've had 2 kids and have been obese since I was in my mid 20's....sigh.......but I'm gonna try and work at it again!

runningfromfat
03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I highly doubt this is ever going to happen for me without surgery. I already have one kid and would like another. Plus I gained way too fast in my first pregnancy and have now lost a lot of weight so I have loose skin to content with too.

That being said, my stomach has flatten out quite a bit but with the loose skin it's never going to be smooth. I honestly don't mind at this point. I look great in clothes and my stomach can be hidden quite easily. As long as I wear high waisted bikinis (which I love the look for anyways) I don't have any problems with my loose skin/little rounded belly showing.

I think at some point you just have to accept that your body isn't going to be 100% and I'd even go on to say that perfectly flat stomachs are quite rare.

freelancemomma
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
We all want what we don't have. I've always had a firm, flat belly (even now at 55), but I would kill to have really slender thighs!

Freelance

LiannaKole
03-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Good point, freelance.

I have pretty small legs that have a lot of shape and tone to them, but my midsection is always flabby. If the rest of my body were was easy to work with as my legs, I'd be in business! But it's not. Ah well. Count our blessings, right?

Munchy
03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
We all want what we don't have. I've always had a firm, flat belly (even now at 55), but I would kill to have really slender thighs!

Freelance

Yep! I wish I knew that feeling!

Arctic Mama
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
For me, a flat stomach is never going to be realistic. I have a very short torso and that is where I gain weight when I gain it, there just not enough space for internal organs that I can ever expect a flat stomach. Tighter and cinched in with muscle training? Sure! I'm working on that now! But completely flat on its' own? Never. Not after children, massive weight gain and loss, etc. I'll take comfortable and looks good with a little shape wear under clothes. That's the most I can ask of my skin and body frame.

Now my legs on the other hand? Looked gorgeous even fifty pounds go. We all have better and worse assets, I think it's worth more to play up the good one's and not stress about the bad. That's crazymaking, right there, and what use is it to be chronically dissatisfied with a part of me that I can improve but never fully change because of how my body was created?

Magalo
03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Well I also have a really short torso and I still have a flat stomach.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/img/4874/3.jpg

Here's my pic from mybodygallery, a few pounds ago... I'm not fit but my tummy is flat, feels good for sure. I never had a huge gut, but it was bigger for sure, and I like sitting down without having any rolls !

I remember when I was at my highest weight, I was like "why the **** am I always bloated ?" then one day I realized it's not because I was bloated, but because I have gotten fatter and I had gotten a belly. Not a nice feeling to realize that :/

Now, YOU tell me how it feels to have a big belly :D

surfergirl2
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM
It feels awesome. (Mine's not all that firm right now, but it used to be).

What i've always wondered was what it's like not to have your thighs touch each other when you walk...

pixelllate
03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

What i've always wondered was what it's like not to have your thighs touch each other when you walk...

It feels AWESOME. My sister says that its gross when thighs don't touch, but I've been overweight (borderline) and my thighs didn't touch. It guess it doesn't "feel" like anything, but when my thighs chafed it was such an annoying feeling and its one less thing to be bugged about. Its kind of like...if your ears are always ringing and one day they stop ringing-you aren't "feeling" anything but you are sure are relieved they aren't ringing.

chickadee32
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM

LOL, this one will never happen to me either! My stomach is bad, but my thighs are worse. I still carry a lot of weight in my legs, and I have a ton of sagging skin. Even at a normal weight now I would not be comfortable wearing a pair of shorts. First place I'll have plastic surgery if I ever decide to do so.

My upper body, on the other hand, looks pretty decent. :)

Nadya
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I have no idea but I've wondered that myself. Even at 130 I had a stomach. I asked my now-ex what he thought and he said he didn't mind it, that he liked that I still felt soft to cuddle with. But I wouldn't mind it shrinking considerably...

How do you get your stomach so flat in the first place? >.<

RookaWins
03-13-2012, 02:18 AM

Here's my pic from mybodygallery, a few pounds ago... I'm not fit but my tummy is flat, feels good for sure. I never had a huge gut, but it was bigger for sure, and I like sitting down without having any rolls !

I remember when I was at my highest weight, I was like "why the **** am I always bloated ?" then one day I realized it's not because I was bloated, but because I have gotten fatter and I had gotten a belly. Not a nice feeling to realize that :/

The best I can describe it, its like you have a warm pillow wrapped around you constantly. Its alright in the winter and when you want to feel cozy, to have just like 15 or so pounds on your midsection, but in the summer and stuff when you just want to feel cool and fresh? Honestly it makes everything uncomfortable, im fidgety with my clothes and stuff. especially if you're obese (which I was). I feel a lot more comfortable though, being close to a normal weight. The only thing left is my tummy. I can still grab a handful of fluff.
Which I dont want lol.

threenorns
03-13-2012, 04:54 AM
beats me - even when i was bodybuilding, weighed 115lbs, and could shove my arm down the side of my size 5 jeans up to the shoulder, i never had a flat stomach because of pregnancy damage. in fact, it looked exactly like a popped blister. really gross. foundation garments were my friend.

mimsyborogoves
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM

It's really kind of hard to describe...you just have a big, soft lump (or mound or whatever depending on how big you are) of fat to carry around all the time. It makes it hard for you to fit in small places and makes it hard to find clothes that fit. The only good thing about it is that it's soft, lol; I've had a couple guys use mine as a pillow :dizzy:. But it just kinda hangs there like bleugh and its really not that fun.

retrogirl
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I can feel muscle under my flab ;p It's like the prize at the bottom of the cereal box..haha!

redlight
03-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Having a flatter stomach feels wonderful. I carry a little lower belly pooch even at my thinnest, but I can get it to the point where it is really tiny. It's a little bigger than that now.