100 lb. Club - Favorite Salad Dressing

View Full Version : Favorite Salad Dressing

SmallSteps
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
I have been having a hard time finding a low cal dressing option that I like.

I love my salad but I also loved my dressing (Ken Steak House Ranch or Thousand Island) which has way to many calories for me to justify eating but I also can not eat a salad plain.

So what is your favorite salad dressing out there everyone?

puneri
03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Make your own dressing.
You can use plain yogurt with little salt and pepper, if it is too thin for you
Using cheese cloth drain some water from plain yogurt and make yogurt cheese.
Or mix olive oil and vinegar and some spices.

findingfawn
03-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm really hooked on Kraft Free Ceasar right now, it's only 20 calories for 2tbs and it's got enough flavor that I really only need those 2 on an large salad.. but often put on 3 or 4 because I can put down an 8 cup salad some days for lunch!

heathermichigan
03-11-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I hate lowfat and fat free salad dressings, so I just use a very small amount of regular. I like the refrigerated Simply dressings by Marzettis. (I think I have that right.)
Instead of having salad a lot, I usually have salad three times a week and other veggies the other times. I use butter spray on cooked veggies and eat others plain.

Elladorine
03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I just use balsamic vinegar (http://www.livestrong.com/article/87969-balsamic-vinegar-health-benefits/) and olive oil (http://www.livestrong.com/article/250288-womens-health-benefits-of-olive-oil/). :)

Huzzahforska
03-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I use balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a little bit of salt and some pepper in it.. but when i'm in a hurry i have some Newman's Own light balsamic dressing. It's low in calories (for an olive oil based dressing) and it is soo yummy!

4star
03-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I like Hidden Valley Ranch Light. When I first started buying it the label read: bet you can't tell it's light... and I thought, yeah right but bought it anyway and was very suprised. We have been using that dressing for over 2 years now I think and don't care for the full fat version as much anymore. 2 Tbsp for 80 cals

I also like the salad spritzers made by Wishbone, super low cal but so good.

shishkeberry
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I've been hooked on Brianna's blue cheese. It's 120 calories for 2tbs, but unless I'm having a monster sized salad, I only need 1.

KatTheAmazon
03-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I love Kraft Greek Dressing! If I remember correctly, it is 60 calories for two tablespoons.

ValRock
03-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch! I'm addicted to the stuff.

Trazey34
03-12-2012, 12:43 AM
I gave up on low fat salad dressings once i realized they make it taste good by adding extra sugars; now i just go for really yummy oil-based dressing but use a small amount, or cut it with balsamic vinegar to stretch it a bit. I too love Kraft Greek, and Renee's mediterranean (the oil one, not the creamy one). Greek salad is my favourittteeeeeee thing ever! you'd think eating 3 or 4 a week with chicken for a year would make me sick of it but NOT SO MUCH :D

dstalksalot
03-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I third the Greek dressing one. So good! I also use the garlic rice vinegar...or cut other dressings with it.

my2cats
03-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Newman's Own Sesame Ginger I find tasty

http://newmansown.com/product_detail.aspx?productid=14

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
03-12-2012, 05:09 AM
ive never tried a low calorie dressing i liked except the oil based italian .... it tastes the same as the full fat one

i also like the mazzaratti (spelling?) refridgerator section dressings oh goodness they are tastey !

thistoo
03-12-2012, 07:37 AM
I usually use balsamic and olive oil, but sometimes I mix up olive oil and lemon (or lime) juice and add a little cumin. It's fantastic over tomato, avocado, and fresh greens.

kateleestar
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
My favorite is walmart brand, great value light buttermilk ranch. I have been able to fool people into thinking its regular, lol.

Lori Bell
03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I love the Maple Valley Farms dressings. The Raspberry vinegarette is my favorite...35 cals for 2 Tablespoons. The Cranberry Balsamic is awesome too...30 cals for 2 tablespoons. I haven't tried one flavor I didn't like!!

erh12275
03-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Newman's Own Sesame Ginger I find tasty

http://newmansown.com/product_detail.aspx?productid=14

I love this and its only like 35cals for 2T and you definately don't need more than 2.

Arctic Mama
03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I just make my own from scratch at home, as the frankenfood aspect of light salad dressings (adding sugar, preservatives,, and emulsifiers to replace fat? No thank you!) isn't appealing to me or worth it for any calories saved.

Homemade ranch, blue cheese, Catalina, thousand island, etc, are all fabulous. Most of these can be modified to be very low sugar (like the catalina - ketchup and honey are big parts of it, but stevia and tomato paste can make a delicious facsimile with less sugar issues) and all are fresh and delicious.

I make many of my condiments at home, including mayo and barbecue sauce. Tastier, more fresh, and no creepy ingredients. I can also control the spices and make the flavor more concentrated per serving, so I use less overall.

baker23
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Dressing is an area where I do not go lowfat low cal xD....I love my thousand island, and even though its high in those things, I always end up using less then a tablespoon because I dip my salad xD

Munchy
03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Blue cheese dressing (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html) but I keep the Trader Joe's light champagne vinaigrette and Wishbone balsamic vinaigrette on hand.

krampus
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I make my own with sesame oil, lemon juice and chili oil.

JustSharing83
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
I only like ranch... I'm even picky with those, but I found a generic light that I really like ($1 a bottle! lol) It has 60 calories per serving, so I try not to use too much and often use the shaker method to spread it out.

SoMuchFattitude
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I've been making my own ranch.

1c. 2% cottage cheese
2-4tsp. DRY ranch seasoning
1/4c. (or more) water to thin it.

Just blend it all together. It's a great consistency and tastes like the ranch that you dip veggies in, if that makes sense.

1/4c. has 55 calories and 5g protein.

puneri
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey lucky girl,
Just saw Dr. Oz show, you can use miso paste with vinegar as salad dressing.
It is very healthy and 20 calories.

SmallSteps
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Well as a recovering half a bottle of dressing a salad addict I have learned to measure out my 2 TBSP into a small container so I know that is my dressing for this salad.

I have been using my Ken's which is about 180 calories for 2 Tbsp until I find something low cal I like. I have heard lots of great reviews about Walden Farms dressing but for the life of me I can not find that brand here in Las Vegas.

I now have lots of great suggestions to try!! Keep up with all the suggestions!!

DaugT
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Ken's Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette!

PinkLotus
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Newman's Own Honey Mustard. It's so good!!

DanSinDeva
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
walden farms Chipotle Ranch, its calorie free, sugar free, fat free, carb free, gluten free, cholestrol free. Its spicy and a little goes a long way, i even sometimes add it to my cooked veggies.

I now only make my own with a combo of lemon, avocado, and stevia or ditch the stevia and use some soy sauce, nice asian flare.

Lemon, honey, EVOO, soy, ginger, mixture is really good too, very little amounts of it all.

synger
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't like low-fat dressings as a rule. I use full-fat, even on low-calorie days, just less of it. I find that I prefer blue cheese or ranch, and then I add sriracha hot sauce to it. Creamy, spicy goodness!