Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/170.0/135

Height: 5'4"

Default How to stop peer pressure?

My friend and I like to have dinner together. Sometimes I have her over at my house and I cook dinner but she is a vegetarian and a super picky eater and it makes it hard to find Weight Watchers friendly recipes that the both of us will enjoy.

The last time we made plans I suggested Ihop because I found that there was a pancake combo that was only 8.5 pp, but she said that she would rather have Olive Garden. Needless to say I went over my daily points, and then some. I tried hard to plan my meal so I wouldn't overeat, but there are some restaurants that are still hard to handle.

How do I explain to my friends that certain restaurants need to be off limits for me until I get my overeating under control? Is there a good way to approach this? Or should I just let it go?
playfulturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #2  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I would say it. Just tell her that it's really hard for you to find something that fits your diet right now and suggest somewhere else. You guys can pool through nutritional facts in menus and pick a place that way. Or even go somewhere a little fancier where you can change the way the food is prepared--ie no butter or oil, steamed, etc.

I hope this helps. I have friends who don't understand the whole, "I'm dieting. I can't eat an entire plate of nachos with you." They get over it, especially if you keep your comments about their food to yourself lol. Worse comes to worse, go the Olive Garden, get the healthiest thing there, do not eat the bread sticks, get the salad dressing on the side on the salad, and right away tell them you want half of your food in a doggy bag. Out of sight, out of mind.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #3  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Just be straightforward and say it. A friend will respect your situation and will accommodate you.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #4  
life's a journey~

Height: 5'7

Yeah I would suggest subway and you could get a salad there.. When I was veggie I loved subway.
Dalliance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/170.0/135

Thanks, the next time this happens I will just ask to go somewhere that doesn't have so many tempting menu items. The places that offer bread are my enemy!
playfulturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

The vegetarian should definitely be accommodating to special diet needs right? Alternate who chooses the restaurant and enjoy.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't really think you can call this peer pressure. Did your friend actually pressure you into eating all the bread sticks and going over your calories? I think it was more like you pressure.

Last weekend was my Mother-in-laws 85th birthday and she requested Olive Garden for her Birthday dinner. I know it's not the most diet friendly place, but I got on my i-phone before we went, found that the lunch size lasagna was very reasonable in calories and the minestrone soup was just around 100 calories for a bowl. I made the plan what I would have before we got there, totally skipped the bread sticks because they are calorie laden, and left feeling great for well below 500 calories. I was with 6 other people, they all ate whatever they wanted, and not one of them pressured me to eat until I was stuffed. Not one. Oh, and just because they did stuff themselves silly didn't make it peer pressure, no one forced me into anything. It's just life. Sometimes we just gotta roll with the punches.

Oh and by the way, you can order the lunch size portion of any entree at Olive Garden at any time of day.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Even though Olive Garden has fake Italian food, it's actually a good place to go if you're watching your food intake. I've had very satisfying meals there for very low calories.

Honestly IHOP is probably a restaurant I would veto. I hate it there. I would much rather have the soups at Olive Garden or a plate of meat and veggies!

I don't think it's fair that you would get to monopolize the food choices all the time. Alternating might be a better idea if you're set on going out to eat with your friends. But if you think you can sway everyone, don't be afraid to speak up! Supportive friends should listen. Mine do They always let me choose the place, actually.

Have a solid plan and stick to it and know that it does get easier with time. You don't NEED the breadsticks, you don't NEED to have certain foods. If they aren't planned for, don't eat them.

I'm curious to know how it's hard to make meals for your vegetarian friend. Is your friend a junk food vegetarian? Because it wouldn't be all that difficult to make a healthy meal for a vegetarian and someone who is not

Last edited by sontaikle; 03-06-2012 at 09:54 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Just speak up. She has her dietary needs, you have yours. It's not a big deal. And you can always spend time together that ISN'T a food date too.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Perhaps instead of going out to eat you two could have a potluck at one of your homes? Or you could get together at one or the others home and cook something together? That would make it easier to control your meals, and you can both contribute to something tasty and healthy!
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I go through this almost daily. I have coworkers who eat out every day, sometimes twice. I have had to learn not to eat out. I go with, and watch them eat. Yes, it is really lame and it sucks...but I know I cannot afford the calories or sodium. Every once in awhile I will order if I can find a dish that I want to eat and is under a certain amount of calories. Last week was the hardest though...watching them eat chinese buffet in front of me was horrible!

Just keep reminding yourself of your goals.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #12  
YOLO

S/C/G: 156/128-130/Fit(ter)

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalliance View Post
Yeah I would suggest subway and you could get a salad there.. When I was veggie I loved subway.
I agree with all of this.
Please Do Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #13  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Eventually you'll need to learn how to manage yourself in restaurants. There's very few places I've been where there's not a relatively healthy option. Even if you eat not so healthy that ONE time, you're not going to go backwards too badly.

That said, if you feel you don't think you are at the point where you can control yourself, it's perfectly reasonable to suggest another choice to your friend. If she's a true friend, she'll understand.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #14  

There's is no way to go around it, just be honest with your friends and tell them you'd much rather prefer going to a different restaurant. If they are your friends, they should understand. There's nothing wrong in being direct and expressing your desires and your concerns. However, I would reduce eating out as much as possible, the temptations are just too great.
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote