Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Writing it Down

I've been spending the past few weeks taking small, healthier steps, basically getting myself ready to get back into full weight loss mode. And I recalled that many, many years ago I found the most success when I took the time to record my progress in a day planner.

I tried doing that online several times but for whatever reason I didn't keep up with it. I know it's different for everyone, but I feel like having a physical book to hold in my hand is my personal key. I bought a small blank notebook and some new pens a few weeks back and finally feel I'm ready to make the commitment all around; in making the right choices with food, to do more exercise I can gradually increase upon, and to keep track of it all in my book. And since day planners are so expensive and I figure I can find more freedom with a plain, blank notebook, that's what I decided to start with.

I took that first, important big step this morning:

There's no turning back now.

It's not much to look at, but I'm looking forward to filling out the pages with my food details, my exercise, my emotions, my weekly weight record, my goals, and my overall progress. It's small enough to keep in my purse so I plan on taking it with me wherever I go. This will be my way to hold myself accountable so I have a place to reflect upon all of my decisions, both good and bad.

I think this will be a great motivator for me and will hopefully deter any bad decisions I can make. I also thought that sharing this might not only help motivate myself, but others as well.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Hey, if it works for you, that's what you should do! I like the idea of tracking, no matter what form it takes.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I found journalling and tracking really helped me a lot. I was able to see patterns and where I was making mistakes. Oh, and the emotional-response eating became so very clear; plus my triggers. You can go back and see where you can make improvements too. Really helped me get back on track and stay there ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-05-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #4  
Skinny chick

I do the same thing!
At the top of the page by the date I also put my morning weigh-in number, my total loss, and what day I'm on. (Today is Day 274 for me.)
I log my exercise on the page, too, and also try to keep tally marks of how many glasses of water I have.
It's definitely working for me.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #5  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Great job! I'm glad you rediscovered something that works for you. I use a spiral 'journal' notebook. I use a page a day; I write the date, my to do list near the top {love marking though that!}, list my meals in the middle and what I did for exercise at the bottom. I've done this for several years and I'm always tweaking. I like to look back at the end of the year and see how many times I've worked out, etc.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 231/174/153

Height: 5ft8

Hi I have a food diary, a weight diary and an exercise diary, slightly obsessional I know but its working for me right now and keeping me accountable to myself
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #7  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I have always kept a food journal it keeps me on track!
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #8  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I like writing too! And in my second week I bought a magazine that had a calendar with the awesome title - healthy all year round. Coincidence? I don't think so I write pretty much everything there.

Nice one, Sirenity and may I just say I love your ticker!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

When I journal, I stay closer on-plan and I lose more consistently.

When I don't.... well, I don't.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Thank you everyone! On day three and everything's going great so far. I weigh in at TOPS tonight and am anxious to see how I'm doing (as I feel I'd been doing well the entire week before committing to the journal). Since it has a little pocket in the front I'm also keeping my official weight record book inside. I love the idea of numbering the days and tracking water as well! I've noticed I'm already fitting into jeans that were too tight around the tummy back in January, so something must be going right.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote