Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #1  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Default Garlicky Lentil Salad

I made this recipe from Saveur last night. It was sooo good, so I am sharing it here! The garlic is mellow since it is slowly cooked in the oil before adding to the cooked lentils.

Salata Adas (Garlicky Lentil Salad)

SERVES 2–4

1 cup green lentils, rinsed [I used French green lentils]
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil [I didn't measure the oil, but I used less than this]
12 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground allspice [I didn't use]
1 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp. minced fresh mint [I didn't have any mint]
Kosher salt and freshly ground
black pepper, to taste

1. Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan [I added a small bay leaf and 2 whole garlic cloves to the water for extra flavor]. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain lentils and set aside.

2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in an 8'' skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft, 7–8 minutes [I cooked on low heat]. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining oil, lemon juice, cumin, and allspice. Pour the garlic mixture over lentils. Add parsley and mint and season the lentils with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Serve lentils at room temperature.

You could probably add things to this recipe - chopped red pepper, carrots (phase 2), green onion, feta cheese...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wow! A keep for sure!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote